Since 1952 bridges near this site have served as the gateway to western Nevada County. This 1924 span was the first concrete bridge at this site and features a Roman style single arch design, constructed in a continuous pour method.
The Colfax . . . — — Map (db m76345) HM
Established in 1872 as Bronco, this railroad wood stop became a noted ice and lumber center and was renamed in 1891. The Floriston Pulp and Paper Company built the present town after 1899 and operated one of the world's largest pulp mill through . . . — — Map (db m105206) HM
First Long Distance Telephone
In the World
Built in 1877, by the Ridge Telephone Co, it connected French Corral with French Lake 58 miles away. It was operated by the Milton Mining Co from this building which was built . . . — — Map (db m40210) HM
Born in Wurtenburg, Germany on January 2, 1828, David Binkelmann came to Grass Valley in 1853, after only a year as a new immigrant in New York. He mined for a time on Wolf Creek, then worked in a bakery. He became a renter of the business , but . . . — — Map (db m48718) HM
Of the many gold rush imigrants, the Chinese were noted for their honest, sober and industrious characteristics. Each mining camp had its Chinatown and Grass Valley was second only to San Francisco’s. Former residents Duck Egg, Georgie Bow, Ah Louie . . . — — Map (db m45126) HM
Last on duty at Fort Point on San Francisco Bay. Grass Valley Women’s Improvement Club arranged with the U.S. War Department for donation to be placed in City Square, now Dow Alexander Park. Transferred from Benicia Arsenal to here in 1911. Only . . . — — Map (db m48675) HM
Edward Coleman built this house in 1866 and lived here, with his wife Luisa, until 1891. He was Pres/Supt of the Idaho Mine. Director of Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad and owned interests in the Mohawk Lumber Company. — — Map (db m49914) HM
This site at the lower end of Boston Ravine on the old main road from Grass Valley to Auburn has been the location of a public house since 1851. Charles Behrisch was the owner from 1851 to 1885. Ownership changed hands many times through the years. . . . — — Map (db m48150) HM
Through the years of prospecting hydraulic and hardrock mining this hardware business, one of California’s, has served this community… in continuous operation at this site since
1854 — — Map (db m48171) HM
California’s oldest hotel in continuous operation. Among its century-old archives are names of such notables as Presidents Grant, Harrison, Cleveland; Authors Mark Twain, Bret Harte; Boxers Corbett, Fitzsimmons, actor Gilbert Barry and highwayman . . . — — Map (db m48213) HM
In her home which occupied this site, Lola’s Social Salon 1853 – 55 attracted men of vision whose investments and technology founded Nevada County’s gold quartz mining industry. She brought culture and refinement to this rude mining camp. A . . . — — Map (db m57990) HM
Operated by pioneer druggist William Loutzenheiser (1824-1805) and son, John G. (1861-1929.) The pharmacy began here in a wooden building in 1851. The structure gave way to the present brick edifice in the fall of 1855.
William was a member of . . . — — Map (db m48360) HM
Lyman Gilmore, Jr. established the first commercial airport on this site in 1907. To him and his memory the people of this community dedicate this school as the:
Lyman Gilmore School
Grass Valley School District
Board of Trustees
Brian A. . . . — — Map (db m13289) HM
Madison Lodge #23 was established under dispensation from the Grand Lodge of California on May 4th 1852. Its permanent charter was issued on May 5th 1853. Madison Lodge held its first two meetings at the old Columbus School on the present site of . . . — — Map (db m48685) HM
Built by the Reverend Thomas J. Dalton and dedicated May 2, 1865 by Bishop Eugene O’Connell as Sacred Heart Convent and Holy Angels Orphanage. Under the Sisters of Mercy it served from 1866 to 1932 as the first orphanage of the Northern Mines. It . . . — — Map (db m12898) HM
Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad ran from here 5 miles N. to Nevada City and 17 miles S. to Colfax. Built 1874-76 by John F. Kidder whose home is N.E. corner. Depot and shops were 50 yards N. Rails removed 1942. Sarah, widow of builder was first . . . — — Map (db m49500) HM
Four 28-ton standard gauge street cars ran from 100 yards north of this spot five miles to Pine and Broad Streets, Nevada City. Car barns and power plant were located mid-way at Glenbrook. Line was shut down after a winter storm, Jan. 1924, never to . . . — — Map (db m44294) HM
The North Star Powerhouse, built by A.D. Foote in 1895, was the first complete water powered compressed air transmission plant of its kind. Compressed air, generated by Pelton Water Wheels, furnished power for the entire mine operation. The 30 foot . . . — — Map (db m44348) HM
At this point the Old Overland Trail approaches the present highway. More than a hundred years ago the trail resounded to creaking wheels of pioneer wagons and the cries of hardy but footsore travelers buoyed by the realization their long trip to . . . — — Map (db m10546) HM
This building, housing
Reliance Hose Co. No. 3
Since 1891, is hereby marked
for preservation, thus honoring
The Volunteer Fire Department
of Grass Valley
March 26, 1988 100th Anniversary of
Manzanita Parlor No. 29
Native . . . — — Map (db m49554) HM
The Alpha Saloon and Hall occupied this site until the fire of 1855. After the fire, another wood frame building was erected and a store and barbershop occupied it until the fire of 1862 which destroyed the new building. Using rock from the local . . . — — Map (db m48247) HM
The present bar of the hotel has been in continuous operation since 1852, when it was known as the Golden Gate Saloon. The wooden building had a back extension known as the Exchange Hotel and offered food and lodging by January 1853. The saloon was . . . — — Map (db m8544) HM
This building is known as The Old Post Office. It was built in 1914 by the United States Government as the Grass Valley Post Office. From 1914 until 1984 the Post Office functioned form mail, package and gold shipments from the many mines in the . . . — — Map (db m85701) HM
This three stamp mill was donated to the City of Grass Valley by Mrs. Stella Tracy, owner of the famous Red Ledge Mine near Washington, Nevada County, where this mill crushed tons of gold bearing ore for many years.
It is erected here in memory . . . — — Map (db m71033) HM
Union Hill School was established in March 1868 as a one-room schoolhouse on the grounds of Union Hill Mine. On June 26, 1875, an argument over a trustee election took place at the schoolhouse, resulting in a stabbing and subsequent death. Three . . . — — Map (db m105985) HM
This building is known as “The Brick Store of Silvester and Salaman”, it was built in 1854 and completed it 1855 by Henry Silvester and Abraham Salaman. It is both the first and oldest original brick (and stone) building in Grass Valley . . . — — Map (db m48373) HM
Constructed of granite blocks from the Sierras about 1882 where Simon C. Hieronimus & family brewed and served lager beer to Nevada City Queen of the Northern Mines and hydraulic mining communities. — — Map (db m40292) HM
It was at this location on the afternoon of June 5, 1880 that a fire erupted in John White’s Upholstery Shop. More than fifty buildings – including the nearby New York Hotel and most of the Chinese Quarter – were destroyed within an . . . — — Map (db m70882) HM
On this site in April 1853 Edward E. Matteson developed one of the first hydraulic mines. An operation in which gold was washed from great quantities of earth with high pressure streams of water.
The method used here became a standard of the . . . — — Map (db m891) HM
Built about 1866 by Charles Marsh, who arrived here in July, 1849, in
what would later become Nevada City. Marsh was the first county surveyor and the first county supervisor from Nevada City. He created the water distribution system which formed . . . — — Map (db m40284) HM
This stamp mill was manufactured at the Miners Foundry and Supply Co., Nevada City, California in the late 1800’s. After a circuitous journey, it has returned to its place of crushing hard rock at the English Mine and then the New Salmon Mine, owned . . . — — Map (db m12862) HM
Used to crush gold ore at the Fortuna Mine near Nevada City. Ore fed under iron 'stamps' from rear hopper. Steam, water or electric belt-driven power turned wheel which revolved cams. Donated to Nevada City by Bill Magers.
Dedicated July 4, . . . — — Map (db m37153) HM
This monitor was used at the now closed La Grange Mine near Weaverville in Trinity County and is similar in size to those used at the Malakoff to wash down the gravel hillsides.
It was obtained through a joint effort of E Clampus Vitus, . . . — — Map (db m861) HM
A camp established in this area in 1850 was called Eureka; then later, Eureka So. By 1856 it sometimes had a winter population of 1000. Rich placer mining deposits were played out by 1865, but quartz mining continued. By 1887, total gold taken from . . . — — Map (db m76722) HM
Used at You Bet-Red Dog Diggin’s east of Nevada City periodically 1880-1935 to control water flow from Chalk Bluff Reservoir to the mine. Hydraulic nozzle mounted opposite was operated at that mine by Thomas B. Brady (1874-1964).
. . . — — Map (db m40352) HM
A pioneer who crossed the plains to California who died and was buried here. The Emigrant Trail followed along this ridge and through Nevada City. The marking of this lone grave perpetuates the memory of the lone graves throughout the State of . . . — — Map (db m971) HM
Major commercial building since Gold Rush. Early offices of Judges, lawyers, statesmen including U.S. Senators A.A. Sargent, Wm. Morris Stewart, Calif. Supreme Court Chief Justices Niles Searls, Lorenzo Sawyer were here. Site of dramatic hall where . . . — — Map (db m40278) HM
This picnic area, sponsored by Wm. Bull Meek-Wm. Morris Steward Chapter Number 10, E Clampus Vitus, is for the enjoyment of all. The redwood lumber for the tables came from Nevada City's Christmas Tree, a Sequoiadendron Giganteum and continues to . . . — — Map (db m857) HM
The year was 1850 at a location not far from here. The first Masonic Lodge meeting was held under a Charter from state of Wisconsin. Lafayette Lodge #29 was born, the years following in 1851 & 1863 a major part of which was to be known as Nevada . . . — — Map (db m40272) HM
This original brick building in continuous usage as a foundry for over 110 years. Famous Pelton Waterwheel developed and manufactured here in 1878. Ingenious double-cupped bucket designed by Lester A. Pelton of Camptonville and Nevada City. It . . . — — Map (db m12863) HM
Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad was dedicated May 20, 1876 one hundred feet east of this spot.
Built by John Flint Kidder between 1874-76 it ran 22 miles from Nevada City to Colfax via Grass Valley. Rails taken up in 1942. Sara Kidder, widow . . . — — Map (db m40287) HM
Originally the Bicknell Block, stagecoach, mail, express and telegraph center in mining days.
Companies which became Pacific Gas & Electric formed here.
Site of the first whipping post in state.
Façade unchanged since 1854. — — Map (db m40334) HM
Library Association formed December 19, 1857, first library was in Kidd Knox Bldg. 228 Broad St., it was moved to Oustomah Lodge I.O.O.F. No. 16, June 3, 1874. Nevada City Trustees assumed responsibilities Oct. 1, 1902 and was moved into the . . . — — Map (db m40354) HM
Nevada City, the “Queen City of the Northern Mines”, became a town of 16,000 in the early 1850’s following the discovery of gold on Deer Creek in 1849. Here is located the largest and best preserved historical downtown district in . . . — — Map (db m49875) HM
Nevada County organized out of Yuba County May 18, 1851. Wooden court house and log jail built on Broad Street 1851. The first court house on this site was erected in 1856. The building was damaged by fire in July of the same year and rebuilt. . . . — — Map (db m40311) HM
Four 28 ton standard gauge street cars ran from this spot five miles to Boston Ravine south of Grass Valley. Car barns and power plant located at Glenbrook mid-way. Line was victim of motor cars and busses. — — Map (db m40279) HM
This plot of land set aside by the City of Nevada. These trees living tributes to our war dead.
This plaque and flagpole erected by the citizens of Nevada City dedicated July 4, 1946 to the memory of our heroes who gave their . . . — — Map (db m40373) WM
Nevada Hose Co. No. 1 occupied this firehouse from May 30, 1861 to 1938. Hand pulled hose carts, horse drawn engines and motorized pumpers all rolled out of this building to save life and property. — — Map (db m40266) HM
California’s oldest existing theater building. The Nevada opened September 9, 1865. Celebrities such as Mark Twain, Jack London and Emma Nevada have appeared on its stage. Closed in 1957. The theater was later purchased through public donations and . . . — — Map (db m10828) HM
After constructing a second-story meeting hall above two existing 19th century commercial buildings, the Nevada City Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks #518 dedicated its first lodge at this location on June 14, 1913. The lodge hall and . . . — — Map (db m40269) HM
Old Brick Gothic Building constructed as a congregational church in 1857. Restored by First Baptist Church.
Dedicated by Laurel Parlor No. 6
Native Daughters of the Golden West
April 13, 1987 — — Map (db m37148) HM
In continuous use PG&E Drum Power House No. 4, 1928-1987. Produced 18,000 HP at 257 RPM and enough electrical power for 16,000 households. 12 ft. diameter, weight 15 tons. Built in San Francisco by Pelton Company. A constitutional bicentennial gift . . . — — Map (db m37151) HM
The Pelton Water Wheel, first commercially manufactured here at George Allan’s Foundry & Machine Works in 1879, was a major advancement in water power utilization and greatly advanced hard-rock mining. Its unique feature was a series of paired . . . — — Map (db m12796) HM
Fire Company formed June 18, 1860 as Eureka Hose No.2 with 34 volunteers. Name changed in August of that year to ‘Pennsylvania Engine’. Construction money raised in 1859 by popular subscription and a grand ball staged by the town’s women. This . . . — — Map (db m10832) HM
Third span of Deer Creek at this location. It is a replica of the single arch steel Gault Bridge (1908-1996) which replaced the suspension bridge (1862-1903) built by Andrew S. Hallidie, who later built the San Francisco Cable Car system. — — Map (db m40275) HM
This boulder was known to the pioneers as the Indian Medicine Stone. On its top are hollows in which the Indians lay while taking sun baths to cure their ills. One branch of the Emigrant Trail leading from Truckee Pass to the gold mines of Nevada . . . — — Map (db m37121) HM
Built in 1855 as the edifice of the Baptist Church, it was here that famed soprano Emma Nevada (Emma Wixom Palmer) made her debut at the age of three. In 1886 the church was remodeled as the residence of the E.T.R. Powell family — — Map (db m14824) HM
Built by Cotton Brothers of Oakland, this steel bridge replaced several wooden bridges washed away in floods. It is the only bridge of the half-through truss design remaining in California. Purdon Crossing was a vital link of the main road from . . . — — Map (db m45068) HM
The Nevada County Historical Society founded the Transportation Museum Division in 1983 to acquire, document, restore and preserve information and artifacts pertaining to Nevada County’s railroad and transportation history. Best known is the Nevada . . . — — Map (db m72038) HM
Historic Saint Canice Catholic Church was built and first services held during 1864 under the guidance of Father John Grifin
Plaque placed October 6, 1965 by Laurel Parlor No. 6 and Hydraulic Parlor No. 56 Native Daughters and Sons of the . . . — — Map (db m37122) HM
This building, completed December, 1872, was the law office for three generations of this family. Niles Searls, who arrived in 1851, practiced law here from 1872 to 1885. He had been elected District Attorney in 1855, then District Judge for Nevada, . . . — — Map (db m40340) HM
Headquarters for the largest network of water flumes and ditches in the state. The South Yuba Canal Water Company was the first incorporated to supply water for hydraulic mining. The original ditch was in use in May, 1850, and this company office . . . — — Map (db m10836) HM
"Six tall, upright rods of iron, as large as a man's ankle, and heavily shod with a mass of iron and steel at their lower ends.." So begins Mark Twain's description of a Nevada stamp mill.
"...These rose and fell, one after the other, in a . . . — — Map (db m37120) HM
Built in 1856 on the site of the U.S. Hotel, this brick edifice has served Nevada City as the Council Chamber, Schreiber’s and since 1957 Eddie Furano’s Bank Club. Here at Schreiber’s Felix, the marvelous mysterious music box thundered Strauss . . . — — Map (db m40273) HM
The first hydraulic mining originated on American Hill near Nevada City, California in 1853. This miners giant known as The Monitor washed hillsides away under high pressure uncovering gold bearing gravel beds. This mining technique flourished . . . — — Map (db m40364) HM
This hotel, one of the oldest in continuous operation west of the Rockies, opened for business in August, 1856. Originally known as The “Bicknell Block”. The structure consists of three common-walled buildings of simple brick . . . — — Map (db m12891) HM
Trinity Episcopal Church, founded as a parish in 1855, opened for divine service in this building on November 2, 1873. Previously on this site was “Caldwell’s Upper Store”, built in 1849 for the miners of Upper Deer Creek Dry Diggings, . . . — — Map (db m40294) HM
Exact replica of wife’s Ante-Bellum Colonial birthplace.
Only edifice of this type in California. Stewart, an early Nevada County District Attorney, joined 1859 Comstock silver rush. Led battle for statehood and became Nevada’s first U.S. . . . — — Map (db m40318) HM
Today people travel swiftly along I-80 to their destinations in the Sierra, many times not even staying overnight. When they do stay overnight it is most likely in hotels or rental houses.
It was not always that way. Before I-80 . . . — — Map (db m81970) HM
Love - Excitement - Pathos - Humor. It’s all in “The Gold Rush” which was filmed at Sugar Bowl (and Truckee).
“The Gold Rush,” written, produced, directed, and starring Charlie Chaplin was one of . . . — — Map (db m81934) HM
Dedicated to the pioneers who blazed the
Overland Trail through these mountains.
Built by the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads and the California Highway Commission
This tablet placed by the Historic Landmarks Committee of the . . . — — Map (db m94763) HM
“I don’t believe I have adequate words to describe the real beauty of Donner Pass. As we stood looking down I had a floating sensation… I lost all fear as I looked at one of the most beautiful blue lakes (Donner Lake) I have . . . — — Map (db m81894) HM
Beneath this plaque the first transcontinental railroad traversed the mighty Sierra Nevada range. The 1659 foot long summit tunnel took over 15 months of Chinese muscle and sweat to build. The Chinese painstakingly hand drilled, then blasted the . . . — — Map (db m95506) HM
Dedicated August 10, 1986 in honor of
Charles Fayette McGlashan
Truckee’s patriarch, historian, author, editor, attorney, legislator, inventor, entomologist and astronomer.
His last public address was given in 1926 at . . . — — Map (db m81893) HM
"If only the Sierra might be pierced." Atlantic Monthly December, 1867
"Crazy Judah." Theodore Judah had some strange ideas. He wanted to build a railroad across the continent. People knew it could not be done. The . . . — — Map (db m105198) HM
“new addition… modern design… large new ski hut… semi-rustic design… oiled pine walls … ideally suited to skiers’ requirements… central heating… Norden awaits the opening of the winter sports season.” So advertised . . . — — Map (db m81875) HM
The Washoe Tribe lived on the eastern face of the Sierra Nevada mountains for more than 6,000 years. They didn’t actually call themselves the Washoe Tribe, though. They called themselves the Waashiw (Wa-she-shu) tribe, meaning . . . — — Map (db m81899) HM
The bridge “eliminated for all time the terrors of the Donner grade from the state highway system of California.”
Automobile travel could be a harrying affair in the old days and Donner Summit was a difficult route. . . . — — Map (db m81898) HM
The rocks here are carved with ancient symbols called petroglyphs.
They were created by pecking the surface of the rock with a tool called a hammerstone. These petroglyphs are thought to be several thousand years old. — Map (db m81931) HM
When Bill Klien, who would transform skiing himself, invited Hannes Schroll to Donner Summit from Yosemite in 1937, the ski industry was about to change. Hannes was a dare-devil champion skier whose yodels as he tore down mountains . . . — — Map (db m81933) HM
The current building at the head of Donner Pass on Old 40 was built for the Division of Highways in 1931 to serve as a dormitory for highway workers. That was the first winter the road was plowed and on-call workers needed . . . — — Map (db m81881) HM
The coming of the railroad made it easy for well-heeled tourists to visit Donner Summit and with the building of a large hotel, they came. Whole families came to enjoy the summit and stay for weeks at a time.
The first Summit . . . — — Map (db m81880) HM
Summit Valley has been the scene of human activity for thousands of years because it is a natural crossing of the Sierra. Native Americans traveled the valley moving from winter to summer residences. They left grinding rocks and . . . — — Map (db m81971) HM
William Wilson Wurster was the most “influential unknown architect in California.” He designed many houses and buildings such as Ghirardelli Square, Cowell College at UC Santa Cruz, as well as other U.C. and Stanford . . . — — Map (db m81939) HM
The ritual of arriving in early morning by train and taking the 15 minute ride in tractor drawn sleighs was in place for more than ten years after Sugar Bowl opened in 1939. It was the only way to get to Sugar Bowl. It was a cold . . . — — Map (db m81936) HM
Theodore Judah, who plotted the Central Pacific’s route over the Sierra and for whom Mt. Judah was named, thought it was only the mountains that needed conquering as the Central Pacific headed east to meet up with the Union Pacific. He . . . — — Map (db m81977) HM
It was a race. The Union and Central Pacific Railroads were crossing the continent with steel rails each trying to build the most miles and so get the most money from the government. The rugged Sierra and its winter climate were . . . — — Map (db m81883) HM
Because there were three lodges built on Forest Service land in the early 1930’s, they have always been referred to as the Tri-Lodges. The first of the three lodges built was der Naturfreund in 1931 (right). This is a private lodge . . . — — Map (db m81969) HM
History 1866 - Right here
Bam, bam, quarter turn; Bam, bam, quarter turn; Bam, bam, quarter turn; all day long, three shifts a day, day after day, week after week. Chinese workers pounded away at the solid granite. One worker held a star . . . — — Map (db m81878) HM
This was a major hydraulic operation in California. Its vast system of canals and flumes using a drainage tunnel 7800 feet long was termed a feat of engineering skill. It was the principal defendant in an anti-debris lawsuit settled by the Sawyer . . . — — Map (db m8505) HM
The 7874 foot tunnel, engineered by Hamilton Smith Jr. from the Malakoff Diggings, has its outlet in Humbug Creek 1 mile up stream. In the late 1870’s, tailings from the Malakoff Diggings filled the river channel to a depth of 60 feet. Remnants of . . . — — Map (db m45946) HM
One of the great engineering feats in Nevada County hydraulic mining history was the drilling of the 7,874 foot drain tunnel, nearly 200 feet below you.
This project was engineered by Hamilton Smith.
Eight vertical shafts of up to 200 feet in . . . — — Map (db m43660) HM
Built at a cost of some 3,000 dollars, modeled after schoolhouses at nearby Sebastopol and Sweetland, it served the community until closed in 1941. Acquired from Washington School District, Nevada County, for public use and display. Restoration . . . — — Map (db m43662) HM
Local historians relate that water from high mountain lakes flowed thru a 500’ wooden ‘chute’ which led to a huge square tank or pressure box behind Campsite 29. Here it entered a 3’ pipe reduced to gain pressure to 2’, then down hill 200’ to the . . . — — Map (db m43668) HM
St. Columncille’s Catholic Church, formerly the Bridgeport Union Guard Hall, was used in 1860 to train men for the Civil War under Capt. Frank Coffey of French Corral.
In 1880 it was purchased as a house of worship for the Catholics of the . . . — — Map (db m43666) HM
North San Juan Fire Department
In Commemoration of the establishment of this fire station in 1864
George S. Murphy
First Fire Chief
N. S. J. F. D.
To the memory of the . . . — — Map (db m39826) HM
One of the oldest of this faith in continuous operation in California. Escaped three major fires which destroyed the town. The Rev. H.B. Sheldon first assigned Pastor. Rode circuit from Brandy City to French Corral on horseback. — — Map (db m39823) HM
The first school building on this site was moved from Flume Street in 1869. It burned in 1924, and this building was moved here from Lake Vera. This site operated as a school from 1869 until 1984.
It is currently used as a community center and . . . — — Map (db m39858) HM
[ Building consists of three sections. Marker #1 is mounted on the front of the far right section. Marker #2 is mounted on the front of the center section. ]
Wells Fargo & Company
Office and . . . — — Map (db m39859) HM
In 1849 a Mr. Anthony staked out 160 acres on the north side of Deer Creek on the road which would become part of the Marysville-Henness Pass-Virginia City trade route, and built a house and out-buildings. While further details about Mr. Anthony are . . . — — Map (db m65966) HM
Built in 1862 by David Isaac John Wood with lumber from his mill in Sierra County, this bridge was part of the Virginia Turnpike Company toll road which served the northern mines and the busy Nevada Comstock Lode. Utilizing a combination truss and . . . — — Map (db m8540) HM
This covered bridge across the South Fork of the Yuba River at Bridgeport, Nevada Co., Calif. was built by David I. Wood in 1862 with lumber from his mill in Plum Valley, Sierra Co., Calif. Erected by Columbia Parlor No. 70, N.D.G.W., French Corral, . . . — — Map (db m8528) HM
Bridgeport Bridge, or “Wood’s Crossing”, is the longest single span covered bridge in existence. Used since 1862, built by David I. Wood. This plaque is dedicated to those pioneer Americans who came to California in search of a new life . . . — — Map (db m8539) HM
Built in 1862 by David J. Wood with lumber from his mill in Sierra County, the covered bridge was part of the Virginia Turnpike Company toll road that served the northern mines and the Nevada Comstock Lode. The associated ranch and resources for . . . — — Map (db m78339) HM
Anthony House Way Station, Pub & Tavern was located just off shore from Commodore Park. It was a stage stop between Marysville & the Virginia City Silver Mines. Jacob Van Blaren, a Civil War bugler, stopped at Anthony House for a period of time and . . . — — Map (db m113762) HM
Site of the first 3 story team & stage stop on the Henness Pass route to the Northern Mines & Comstock Lode. Built & operated by George & Veronica Schmidt served miners, travelers & teamsters. — — Map (db m45153) HM
Built in the mid 1850’s by John Fippin and John Single. Fippin married Single’s daughter, Julia, in 1867, and they raised 10 children. Local legend has it that one of Lotta Crabtree’s earliest performances was atop the anvil here. The building today . . . — — Map (db m10561) HM
Indian women used grinding rocks such as these, along with a linear rock called a “pestle”, to grind grass seeds, acorns and other foods during the meal preparation process, which included gathering, storing, leaching and cooking. It is . . . — — Map (db m39871) HM
This community of 3000 people seceeded from the Union to declare a free and independant state. Colonel E.F. Brundage was elected President. Congressional action on California statehood was pending at the time. — — Map (db m57991) HM
Established in 1849 and named in honor of General Zachary Taylor, after the Rough and Ready Company of miners from Wisconsin, this was one of the principal towns of Nevada County. In 1850, articles of secession were drawn up establishing the . . . — — Map (db m10560) HM
Built it 1859 by Benoni Thompson to collect tolls for using the Gephardt Union Turnpike running 6 miles from Penn Valley to Grass Valley. The last remaining original toll house in the West. It served as a Wells Fargo Express office and stage stop, . . . — — Map (db m39865) HM
In the 1860’s there were four saw mills in this area. This display, in honor of his founding fathers, is from the Tom Rowe Saw Mill, and displays how the mill works. The foreman stood in the cage and called out the beam size (8x8, 12x12, etc.) then . . . — — Map (db m39895) HM
In the 1850’s, Chinese laborers, who were an essential part of the community, built the wall you see before you. Large natural stones were hand stacked for its construction. The wall extends five miles in either direction, however much of it has . . . — — Map (db m39829) HM
Across the street from this location is a tree stump in which the original stake exists that was used to close off the passage to travelers from Grass Valley to Penn Valley. Drivers who frequented this road had to stop at this location and pay the . . . — — Map (db m39821) HM
Originally a two story, L-shaped building. Mrs. Bridget Henderson ran it as a boarding house later selling to Mrs. Ellen Dewan, becoming the Dewan Hotel. Her son, Jim Dewan briefly ran Jim's Saloon along the side of the hotel. In 1935 Rex and Agnes . . . — — Map (db m100862) HM
Named for James Smart, who built the first hotel in 1856. Smartville was referred in the US Federal land grant of 1878, as Smartsville. Due to ruling by the US Post Office Department, in 1909. The name was changed back the Smartville. It stayed that . . . — — Map (db m100861) HM
This now quiet valley was once the site of the Gold-Rush Era town of Sucker Flat - and of the Blue Point and Blue Gravel Mines. These were two of the richest hydraulic mines in California. Which along with a number of other claims work the . . . — — Map (db m100992) HM
William M. Thomas of Thomas and Post Consulting Engineers designed the 685-foot-long Parks Bar Bridge in 1912 for Yuba County. The original 16-foot-wide bridge with four 140-foot-long arch spans was constructed by the Portland Concrete Pile Company . . . — — Map (db m54222) HM
California has some of the most productive farmland in the world and a population of 38 million people. California alone is on of the biggest economies in the world. Water is critical to that economy and Sierran snows are critical . . . — — Map (db m105197) HM
A hero of the Sierra Nevada Mountains!
Probably the first skier of the West. This Viking son of Norway, exemplified the
spirit of a true pioneer. Strong, daring, faithful and courageous he was the answer to California’s motto
“Bring Me . . . — — Map (db m60514) HM
Before the coming of the hotels and ski areas, the only Summit industry was the railroad. There had been a few dairies, two ice houses, sheep and some lumbering, even a still on the hill, but the railroad was key to the Summit. . . . — — Map (db m105196) HM
There have been many Soda Springs stores over the years on both sides of the railroad tracks. The original Soda Springs Store serviced the many industries on the Summit: ice harvesting, diaries, lumber mills, sheep grazing, and of . . . — — Map (db m105170) HM
In June of 1863, the trapper Henry Hartley discovered gold bearing ore here and staked out the Excelsior Company claims. Exaggerated reports and a 1865 market panic in the Comstock mines of Virginia City brought thousands of miners overnight to the . . . — — Map (db m68759) HM
Downhill ski racing history in the Western Hemisphere first began in California circa 1857, and in this famous Donner Pass of the Sierra Nevada the Auburn Ski Club presents a full exhibition of pioneered manpower transportation and skisport history . . . — — Map (db m60888) HM
The two modern buildings replaced structures built in the early 20th Century and were used in two of Truckee’s notorious industries • Bootlegging and prostitution. They upheld a tradition begun on this street in the 1870’s. Many a thirst was slaked . . . — — Map (db m60889) HM
Boca's Railroad Roots
From 1866-68, the Central Pacific Railroad was laying tracks over the Sierra Nevada working to complete its portion of the nation's first transcontinental railroad. The railroad's Construction Camp 17, here, at the . . . — — Map (db m62048) HM
Needed to house and maintain the engines of the Central Pacific Railroad during construction of the Trans-Sierra
Crossing, an enclosed wooden round house was constructed here in 1868. It was razed by fire in March 1869. A 16 stall wooden structure . . . — — Map (db m112520) HM
Charles Crocker, Construction Chief of the Central Pacific Railroad (CPRR), contracted for a workforce of approximately 12,000 Chinese laborers to push the CPRR tracks over its Trans-Sierra Crossing on its race east to a meet with the Union Pacific . . . — — Map (db m23564) HM
First steam railroad logging operation in the Truckee River Basin. Commenced operation in the late 1870's under the supervision of Fred Burckhalter, head of the Pacific Lumber and Wood Co. Line extended 10 miles along Juniper Creek with hopes of . . . — — Map (db m105205) HM
On October 28, 1846 the six covered wagons brought west by George and Jacob Donner and their families halted here for repairs. By March of 1847 one half of the party of 22 adults and children had died of starvation and cold. They came west seeking a . . . — — Map (db m60507) HM
Near this spot stood the Breen cabin of the party of emigrants who started for California from Springfield, Illinois, in April 1846, under the leadership of Captain George Donner. Delays occurred and when the party reached this locality, on October . . . — — Map (db m94058) HM
The face of this rock formed the north end and the fireplace of the Murphy cabin. General Stephan W. Kearny, on June 22, 1847, buried, under the middle of the cabin the bodies found in the vicinity. Following is a complete list of the members of the . . . — — Map (db m94061) HM
Donner Party Camp at Alder Creek Valley
In the Fall of 1846, 25 Members of The Donner Party became Trapped by an Early Snowstorm here at Alder Creek Valley. The George and Jacob Donner Families, their Teamsters, and Fellow Travelers Suffered . . . — — Map (db m60303) HM
For thousands of years, people have crossed the Sierra Nevada near this place called Donner Pass.
Traveling by foot, wagon, train or automobile, the journey has always been challenging.
Long before it’s “discovery” . . . — — Map (db m23571) HM
The first ski lift on Signal Hill (now Donner Ski Ranch) was built by Johnny Ellis in 1937. This forerunner of the "Ranch" included two rope tows powered by Model A automobiles sitting on blocks (the manila rope going around the . . . — — Map (db m105199) HM
Welcome to Donner Summit Canyon
You are about to enjoy a wonderful experience with exquisite views, forests and trails. It is also the gateway to the most important square mile in California’s history! Donner Pass, located above the property, . . . — — Map (db m81978) HM
The Stephens – Townsend – Murphy Party, with guidance from old Caleb Greenwood and Chief Truckee, brought their wagons up the Truckee River bed and on Nov. 25, 1844 191 days out of Council Bluffs, Iowa passed this point and crossed the . . . — — Map (db m60305) HM
One of Truckee’s earliest settlers. Schaffer in 1866 built the first lumber mill in the town. He freighted the locomotive San Mateo to Truckee in a winter crossing of the Sierra prior to the laying of Central Pacific tracks. This building “The . . . — — Map (db m60580) HM
Originally built in October 1948 by Kullman Diner Co. Newark, New Jersey and shipped to West Chester, PA. known as the “Birmingham Grill” where it continually operated until purchased by the Carey Family in 1992. On July 26, 1995 the . . . — — Map (db m60578) HM
On this site Joseph Delos Pollard constructed the first resort on the west end of Donner Lake. Between mid 1864 and early 1868 Pollard’s Station on the Dutch Flat and Donner Lake Wagon Road was office to the Pioneer Stage Co. and Wells, Fargo & Co. . . . — — Map (db m60506) HM
A natural glacier formation, or the work of an unknown tribe as a form of altar. It’s exact origin will never be known. The perfectly balanced stone until recently would rock at the touch of a finger.
C.F. McGlashan built the original tower in . . . — — Map (db m23527) HM
Near this spot stood a small cabin built by 18 year old Moses Schallenberger and two other men. They were members of the Stephens-Townsend-Murphy party of 1844, the first pioneers to take wagons over the Sierra Nevada, opening the Truckee Route of . . . — — Map (db m94059) HM
The Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodges each established cemeteries here in 1869 or 1870 to provide a burial place for their deceased. Catholics established a cemetery to the Southwest. Pioneers and prominent citizens within the original fenced cemetery . . . — — Map (db m60331) HM
On May 22, 1844, this small wagon party of 50 men, women and children “jumped off” from Council Bluffs, Iowa, bound for California. These courageous pioneers were the first emigrants to take wagons over the Sierra Nevada, opening the . . . — — Map (db m23567) HM
This cabin was one of several built by Jack Wolert for Dick Joseph in 1939 on US Route 40. The cabin was constructed of lumber salvaged from houses being dismantled 3 miles north of Truckee at Hobart Mills and served as the Gateway Motel’s Office. . . . — — Map (db m60318) HM
In 1866 the Central Pacific Railroad in their push east over the Sierra Nevada set up Construction Camp 17 just downstream from here at the confluence of the Truckee River and the Little Truckee River. Camp 17 quickly became known as Boca, Spanish . . . — — Map (db m113830) HM
As Chief Engineer of the Central Pacific Railroad, Judah’s engineering skill, political savvy and financial genius, along with the promoters’ capital, culminated in formation and construction of the Trans – Sierra leg of the first . . . — — Map (db m23513) HM
First known as Gray’s Toll Station, then Coburn’s Station, Truckee was established in 1863. Renowned for its lumber industry, Transcontinental Railroad, icehouses, saloons and red light district, Truckee has never been known for her laid back . . . — — Map (db m23520) HM
While construction on Sierra tunnels delayed Central Pacific, advance forces at Truckee began building forty miles of track east and west of Truckee moving all supplies by wagon and sled. Summit Tunnel was opened in December, 1867. The line reached . . . — — Map (db m23560) HM
In 1863, Joseph Gray built Truckee’s first structure on this site for use as the Dutch Flat–Donner Lake Wagon Road’s Toll Station. The old log structure was moved in 1907 to the Englehart property on Church Street, one block east of this site, . . . — — Map (db m23545) HM
[Located on Front of Monument:]
California’s Sons and Daughters
Who Served Their Country
In the World War 1917 -1918
And to the Memory of
Those Who Gave the
“Last Full Measure of Devotion” . . . — — Map (db m23519) HM
One mile north of here were the towns of Alpha and Omega, named by gold miners in the early 1850’s. The tremendous hydraulic diggings, visible from near this point, engulfed most of the original townsites. Alpha was the birthplace of famed opera . . . — — Map (db m45152) HM
Built by Edward Brimskill 1849-1851. Rear section built 1849. Iron shutters a protection from fire and robbers, imported from Scotland. Used in early days as general store and miners supply. Wells Fargo maintained desk room here for many years and . . . — — Map (db m43682) HM
In 1850, the year after the fabulous gold strike on Deer Creek in Nevada City, the Overland Emigrant Trail branched off the original Bear River route at Bear Valley, climbed Washington Ridge and passed this point on its way to Nevada City and . . . — — Map (db m43688) HM
Built by Henry Kohler, pioneer merchant and miner born in Germany in 1825, he came to Washington from Indiana in 1854. He mined until 1881 when he opened a general merchandise store to supply groceries, hardware and miners supplies to the area. — — Map (db m43679) HM
The town of Ormonde was established here in 1887. Downstream, across the mouth of Canyon Creek was Canyonville 1850, and upriver approximately 4 miles was Maybert 1886. These towns were part of the Upper Washington Mining District and were the . . . — — Map (db m43678) HM
The Native People
The cultural history of people inhabiting the western slope of the Sierras spans a period of at least 3,500 years. It is known that the Nisenan, a Native California tribe, occupied the geographic region between the Sierra . . . — — Map (db m44642) HM
In August 1850 Washington was the highest point on the South Yuba River at which gold had been discovered with over 1,000 miners. In 1870 the Chinese out numbered the white population. The last try to strike it rich was in the 1890’s.
Washington . . . — — Map (db m43685) HM
100 years of un-interrupted use as a California Public School. Having survived fires, floods, wars, time, and politics. This school has been doing its part to ensure the rights of American children to receive a basic education. — — Map (db m45120) HM