“Beckwiths House (is) the first house that I have seen since I left (Ft.) Laramie... at Beckwiths House the roads fork, the left hand goes to 76 & Maryesville, the right hand is called Beckwiths rout to Maryesville.” – John F. . . . — — Map (db m66177) HM
Originally built in 1875 and twice destroyed by fire, 1898 & 1909, this edifice continues a century of Masonic service to Sierra Valley.
Dedicated in the spirit of brotherhood Sept. 6, 1975 by Las Plumas del Oro Chapter, E Clampus Vitus — — Map (db m56654) HM
This monument dedicated to the memory of
James P. Beckwourth
Born in Virginia, the son of a Southern planter and a negro slave, Beckwourth was a trapper, scout and mountain man. He explored the west with Jim Bridger, Kit Carson and Peter . . . — — Map (db m56409) HM
Beckwourth, a mountaineer, trader, and Crow Chief, discovered and promoted this emigrant trail. In 1852, near this site, he established the first waystop for emigrants between here and Salt Lake City. — — Map (db m66176) HM
This marker is made up of four panels. They are presented left to right.
Agriculture in Sierra Valley
A few years after James Beckwourth settled on what he called the War Horse Ranch just west of here in 1852, more ranches and farms . . . — — Map (db m66179) HM
Long before settlers and ranchers came to Sierra Valley, native people of the Washoe and Maidu tribes hunted deer and collected plants here, perhaps on the very spot you are standing. The Washoe traveled fro the east, over Beckwourth Pass, from . . . — — Map (db m66175) HM
Named after Susan Lee Belden, Maidu Indian, widow of Charles Belden, miner and settler. In the early 1900’s already a thriving township with a stop on the Western Pacific R.R., Belden became a popular resort for Bay Area fishermen. Today Belden is a . . . — — Map (db m56617) HM
The Eby Stamp Mill is an example of the type of facility used in hard rock gold mining to crush ore. It is one of the few stamp mills left, and recalls the Feather River’s history as a rich gold mining area.
Only five of the original 10 stamps . . . — — Map (db m66156) HM
This highway was opened to auto traffic on August 14, 1937 as State Route 24. It was later changed to State Route 40A and finally to State Route 70. The initial cost of this 70 mile stretch was 8 million dollars, the cost of repair from the February . . . — — Map (db m66155) HM
In the early 1930’s Clinton C. Clarke offered to the world his vision of a continuous trail stretching from Canada through 3 states to Mexico. “Along the summit divide of the mountain ranges traversing the best scenic areas and maintaining an . . . — — Map (db m66157) HM
Gold first found here July 1850 by miners coming over the mountains from the Yuba Diggins. Much production during early ‘fifties along this east branch of the Feather River’s North Fork. Here “Dame Shirley” (Louise Amelia Knapp Smith . . . — — Map (db m56618) HM
Along the Pioneer Trail lies Jamison City and Mine. Large producer, famous for its 52-pound nugget; Eureka Mill and Mine yielding $17 millions to Cornish miners and others. Johnstown, now Johnsville, well preserved '49 town.
Historical . . . — — Map (db m21898) HM
Along the Pioneer Trail lies Jamison City and Mine. Large producer, famous for its 52-pound nugget; Eureka Mill and Mine yielding $17 millions to Cornish miners and others. Johnstown, now Johnsville, well preserved '49 town. — — Map (db m56566) HM
Gold Mountain, now Eureka Peak, is the site of some of the first organized ski races in the western hemisphere. Ski clubs organized in the 1850’s rode 10-14 foot “longboards snowshoes” down “Lost Sierra” slopes in Plumas and . . . — — Map (db m56614) HM
The first sport ski area in the western hemisphere was in the Sierra Nevada. By 1860, races were held in the Plumas-Sierra region. The mining towns of Whiskey Diggings, Poker Flat, Port Wine, Onion Valley, La Porte, Jamison City, and Johnsville . . . — — Map (db m56451) HM
This gold mine, part of the Johnsonville Mining District, was initially prospected during the Gold Rush but not fully developed until 1914. A stamp mill was built here in 1915 to extract the gold. Only a few feet of ground surface were gold bearing . . . — — Map (db m66178) HM
You might think the discovery of gold led to instant success, but that was not the case.
Early miners lacked the capital to develop the mines. The Sierra Buttes Gold Mining Co. Ltd. bought the mines in the 1860’s and developed them . . . — — Map (db m56454) HM
Back in its hey-day Eureka Mills, high up on the mountainside, was a primarily a family town. Jamison City, down near the creek, was a place for single miners to live.
The mountainside took on quite a village appearance. There were two stores, . . . — — Map (db m56452) HM
The “Dinky,” a narrow gauge locomotive, was discovered n May 1996 after 82 years at the bottom of Butt Lake. It was used during the 1910-1914 construction of the Almanor and Butt Lake Dams. An H.K. Porter engine, it is thought to be the . . . — — Map (db m56745) HM
Baccala Ranch located here in Soldier Meadows was homesteaded in 1858 by Baptiste Baccala. A dairy where butter and cheese were produced from 1882 – 1915, and the ranch, are still intact and owned by the Italian – Swiss Family Baccala. — — Map (db m66115) HM
The oldest operating bakery in Plumas County. Built by Carl Giese in 1955. This being the 50th anniversary. Bakery first ran by Mr. Murphy, first name unknown. The bakery located on corner of Hwy 36 & Old Hwy 89, formerly called Carl’s Corner. Owned . . . — — Map (db m66114) HM
Built in the early 1900’s this building was originally a dance hall, owned by Jack Wardlow. In 1926 Leo Speegle bought it and in 1933 it became the Eastside Cafe. In 1945 it became a recreation center, known as the Chester Bowl. Around 1988 Char . . . — — Map (db m56735) HM
Started in 1928 with land donated by Edith Martin. Logs given by Red River Lumber Co. were floated down the Feather River. It was erected in a few days in an old fashion barn raising in 1929, with the women feeding everyone. Chester had benefits for . . . — — Map (db m56738) HM
This marker is made up of three individual markers, one each for the Korean War, World War II and the Vietnam War.
In memory of Plumas County
Korean War Verterans who gave
their lives in the “Forgotten War”
They may have . . . — — Map (db m66123) WM
This is dedicated to Dave Stratford & his contributions to the Emergency Medical Services, without which many lives would have been lost. For 22 years, Dave worked everything from the ambulance to the O.R., from EMT to Paramedic. He recruited many . . . — — Map (db m56744) HM
These soda springs were used by the Maidu Indians since time immemorial. Gold mines were discovered here in 1850. Andrew Miller first saw the valley in 1849 and returned in 1850 to homestead, raise a family, build a store and hotel. Many homes and . . . — — Map (db m66117) HM
They were fallers, buckers, swampers, barkers, skidders, snipers, doggers, greasers, bull punchers, skinners, hook tenders, choker setters, rigging slingers, high climbers, donkey men, whistle punks, river pigs, and more. Once they were lumberjacks, . . . — — Map (db m56737) HM
Built in 1911 by Judge Gay, it was the first grocery store between Susanville and Red Bluff. On May 27, 1932 Gordon Purdy turned it into a bar named the Mt. Lassen Club. Margaret and Lee Baker became the club’s owners in August of 1963. Now the . . . — — Map (db m56736) HM
The “Chester Store”, now known as the Old Towne Corner Store was built in 1912 by George Olsen after he & his brothers subdivided the Olsen Ranch. It is one of the oldest buildings in Chester.
It was purchased by Sue & Harry Isbell . . . — — Map (db m56733) HM
Built in 1934 by Minnie Lee Vest, it was one of the first hotels on the Susanville – Red Bluff route. It is now owned by Dick McNeill and is the centerpiece of Rainbow Village. It served as a hotel for many years and is now home of “The . . . — — Map (db m66084) HM
Waters from this spring have been used for generations by the Mountain Maidu and local ranchers. The ground water here flows naturally through calcium carbonate rocks, creating a characteristic fizz or soda taste. Such waters have long been . . . — — Map (db m66118) HM
Stump Ranch, a stage stop on the Red Bluff – Susanville Wagon Road, was also the road’s caretaker. It may have changed hands in an 1890’s poker game. The name arose after 1880’s logging left a field of stumps. So it could be recorded as swamp . . . — — Map (db m56746) HM
You are in the historic homeland of the Mountain Maidu people, where their spirits still linger to guard sacred sites in this pristine valley... where they lived free for thousands of years... their paradise. — — Map (db m66116) HM
Lowest pass in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
Discovered in 1851 by
James P. Beckwourth
Dedicated to the discoverer and to the pioneers who passed along this trail by the Las Plumas Parlor No. 254 N.D.G.W.
No desert’s waste nor . . . — — Map (db m56449) HM
Dedicated to the Memory of
General Jackson, a ‘49er, after whom Jackson Peak and Jackson Creek were named, and first owner of the Haddick Ranch. Also, Ephiram Ross and L.V. Tefft, later owners of the Tefft Ranch, now the Haddrick Ranch.
Also, . . . — — Map (db m56613) HM
(Thought to have been named for Commodore John Drake Sloat of Bear Flag Revolt fame)
Several ranches were established in Long Valley during the 1800s. In 1912, the Sloat Lumber Co. cut the first boards in its new sawmill, allowing the workers to . . . — — Map (db m56557) HM
The Sloat Towne Hall is the only remaining public building in Sloat. It was built in 1935 as a union and meeting hall, and was donated by the United Independent Workers’ Union to the community in 1956.
The town of Sloat once boasted a population . . . — — Map (db m56554) HM
John Vardanega, first owner of Mt. Tomba Inn, (1933-1944) designed and built this cement tank with the help of the CCC on or about 1938 for water supply in the immediate vicinity. — — Map (db m56612) HM
The Hamilton Dairy opened in Big Meadows in 1860. In 1910 Canyon Dam was built, then filled in 1914, creating Lake Almanor. This milkhouse was then moved here out of the meadows above lake level. The Hamilton and Holmes families used the milk to . . . — — Map (db m66080) HM
McIntyre & Co.’s General Store was on this site in the mid 1870’s. The building was burned in 1881 but was immediately replace with the brick building that is standing today. By 1883 the new general store included the telegraph & Wells Fargo . . . — — Map (db m56682) HM
This frame building was built between 1877 & 1881. Bransford and McIntyre purchased the building in 1881 as a warehouse for their store. Later it served the stores of J.R. Murray & then Frank Miller. This is the site of the Greenville Museum, . . . — — Map (db m56681) HM
Henry A. Engels settled at the Superior Mine in 1880. Discovered the Engels Mine in 1883. The first all flotation copper mill in the U.S. was completed in 1914. The Indian Valley Railroad began in 1917 and company town Engelmine was established. The . . . — — Map (db m66078) HM
The Indian Valley Railroad Co. was incorporated in 1916 by Engels Copper Mining Co. The purpose was to build a standard gauge railroad from a connection on the Western Pacific Railroad at Paxton, to Engels, a distance of 22 miles. This facilitated . . . — — Map (db m66079) HM
Gold was found in 1851 and a wild mining town was born with a dance hall, feed store, livery, blacksmith, post office, grocery, rooming houses and a hotel with solar heated showers. The canyon’s mines included the Sunnyside, Lucky Chance, White . . . — — Map (db m56684) HM
This historic building was built in 1878 by John McBeth and D.D. Compton, merchants, for use as a warehouse. As such it played an important role when Greenville’s two foundries, flour mill, sarsaparilla works, brickyard, wagon shop, and sawmill . . . — — Map (db m56648) HM
Snow-shoe Race beginning 1854
Sierra County Surveyor 1870
Deputy U.S. Surveyor 1871
Plumas County Surveyor 1879
Plumas County Supervisor 1910
Snow-shoed to Quincy for meetings
past the age of 80 — — Map (db m56365) HM
This mill was built in 1911 and used to crush ore at the Hewitt Brothers Mine on Hopkins Creek. It was powered by a steam engine and a pelton water wheel. It was discovered by Fred and Janet Miles in 1978 and brought to La Porte by members of E . . . — — Map (db m56320) HM
Founded in 1850, the town of Gibsonville was named after the man who led a party of miners into this area.
Gibsonville developed into a thriving community, and by 1855 its population was over 700. In its prime, the town had six dry goods . . . — — Map (db m65905) HM
Known as Rabbit Creek until 1857. In 1862 a town of three hotels, six large stores and fourteen saloons. By 1890, $93,000,000 in bullion had been extracted from the area.
Dedicated to all those hardy souls who pioneered this part of Plumas . . . — — Map (db m56838) HM
On May 1, 1866 a special election was held in Plumas County to issue bonds in the sum of $20,000 for the construction of the La Porte – Quincy Wagon Road. The 34-1/2 mile road was completed in 1867 under the supervision of E.H. Pierce by Conly . . . — — Map (db m56369) HM
In 1870 the Chinese community of Goodwin Township consisted of 184 dwellings housing 248 people. They were accepted and more welcome here than in other mining areas due to the respect of their leader, Ah Tye in the white and Chinese communities — — Map (db m56301) HM
Snow skiing was introduced to Plumas County in 1858. Skis were called “snow shoes” at the time. Skis were first used to travel to and from the mining camps. Sport skiing soon followed, and by 1863 became a “mania”. The first . . . — — Map (db m65904) HM
Charlotte (Lotta) Mignon Crabtree, born November 7, 1847, New York City. Moved to Grass Valley California in late spring of 1853. In the fall of 1854, the Crabtrees moved to Rabbit Creek (La Porte). Mart Taylor, a saloon owner with a small theater, . . . — — Map (db m56298) HM
Port Wine had its beginning in early 1850. By 1851 surface mining had declined, but hydraulic mining instilled new life into the area. Port Wine was described as a religious and sober town in 1863. There was a post office and Wells Fargo Express . . . — — Map (db m56652) HM
Originally Burrel-Buckley, barn lot circa 1860, Jumbo Merian’s Grocery & Gas Station, 1930-1945, purchased by Frank C. Reilly, operator from 1945-1965. Frank C. Reilly was the first Humbug of FCR 5978, E Clampus Vitus and one of the very few that . . . — — Map (db m56323) HM
This plaque commemorates the origins of the world’s first downhill snowshoe racing events which began in Plumas and Sierra Counties in the 1850’s. The Alturas Snowshoe Club was the world’s first organized ski club, having originated between . . . — — Map (db m56368) HM
“... camped in order to cut some grass to feed along the road ahead, and also on account of P. Linthicum who was still very sick; not expected to live.” – John Dalton, Sep. 3, 1852 — — Map (db m56548) HM
One hundred yards north east
Haven of pioneers
Pack train diversion point
to Feather River points.
Express and post office.
1850 – 1852
Destroyed by fire Jan. 13, . . . — — Map (db m56535) HM
Here early residents of what was then an isolated valley created their own cultural center. On land deeded by Richard Jacks, through subscription and donated labor, they constructed the first public school of the area. Across the way shortly . . . — — Map (db m56532) HM
Two memorial panels have been placed in front of the Veteran's Memorial Hall in Portola
Daniel Herrmann • Lee Johnson • Palmer Johnson • Fred R. Kabkee • O. Jean Kampschmidt • Kelly E. Kimes • Howard King • Don H. Lancaster • James E. . . . — — Map (db m66183) WM
If there is a dream within your hand
Open your hand to let the dream fly free.
A young Scotch Canadian engineer, surveyor and cartographer came to Quincy in 1864, remaining to ply his craft and make history.
His vision of a low . . . — — Map (db m56387) HM
“Had a hard road, crooked & rocky. Had to cross (Greenhorn) creek 8 times in going 5 miles. Got down to the New England Ranch at noon, camped here for today.” - Chester Smith, Sep. 27, 1852. — — Map (db m66159) HM
Built in the fall of 1878 by Joshua Variel and his son, Will, the house was the home of several families over the next century. In 1896 Sheriff John Bransford bought the home, then sold it in 1899 to Attorney Louis N. Peter who died in the home in . . . — — Map (db m56527) HM
Built in 1876, it is one of the first permanent structures in the Quincy Business District. Businesses of this site included Cohn Bros. Dry Goods, U.S. Post Office, I.O.O.F. Lodge, E.C.V. Hall, National Forest Supervisors office, Quincy Hardware and . . . — — Map (db m56386) HM
Mr. J.B. Nash, often referred to as “The Father of Recreation” was Superintendent of the Oakland Recreation Dept. from 1917-1926. He recognized the value of people working and playing together in a camp setting & loved the outdoors. In . . . — — Map (db m66158) HM
Built in 1914 as “Harvey’s Place” by Harvey Egbert. During Prohibition Ed Dory ran the Quincy Dairy Store & some slot machines here. Zola & Plumas “Plumie” Stokes bought the saloon from Egbert in 1947. In 1989 Plumie sold the . . . — — Map (db m56529) HM
(Panel on the left)
On behalf of the grateful people of Plumas County, this memorial is dedicated to all our veterans and those whose names are engraved on these tablets, who made the ultimate sacrifice for us all.
Dedicated May 29, 2006 . . . — — Map (db m66185) HM
Millions in gold were taken from the Spanish Creek Mines between 1851 and 1905. To supply the miners the small town of New Boston sprang up at the mouth of Wahponsey Creek. Complete with a toll gate, apple orchard and gardens, in the 1870’s it was . . . — — Map (db m56530) HM
Built in 1879, this was the home of Plumas County Judge and State Assemblyman Greenleaf Greeley Clough and his family for nearly a half a century.
In 1927 it became the home of Louis Archibald “Arch” Braden, elected to nine . . . — — Map (db m56401) HM
The 1851 Spring Garden Ranch sat on the Beckwourth Trail one mile west. About 1900 the town grew on the present site. At one time there were 500 people here.
Located on the railroad, it served mines, mills and ranches for many years. — — Map (db m56552) HM
Site of the first permanent residence in Indian Valley. Built by Jobe T. Taylor in February 1852.
This maker made from the millstones brought around Cape Horn in 1856 for the first flour mill in the Pacific Northwest, located in Taylorville, . . . — — Map (db m66160) HM
This picturesque cemetery dates to the 1850s. Within it’s hallowed grounds sleep many pioneers of Plumas County and particularly Indian Valley, some of whom are:
Jobe Terrill Taylor, founder of Taylorsville; Abbie Fort, African-American beekeeper . . . — — Map (db m56646) HM
To honor the men and women who have fought, and those that have died in the War on Iraq. To remember their courage and especially their sacrifice while doing their duty.
In memoriam Private First Class Jason Poindexter, 2nd Platoon, Echo Company, . . . — — Map (db m66161) WM