Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

San Diego County California Historical Markers

234 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 34
 
Box Canyon Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Kindig, May 18, 2008
Box Canyon Marker
California (San Diego County), Anza-Borrego Desert State Park — 472 — Box Canyon
The old way variously known as Sonora, Colorado River or Southern Emigrant Trail and later as Butterfield Overland Mail Route traversed Box Canyon just east of here. January 19, 1847, the Mormon Battalion, under command of Lt-Col. Philip St G Cooke, . . . — Map (db m51580) HM
California (San Diego County), Anza-Borrego Desert State Park — 639 — Palm Spring
Here was a palm-studded desert resting place, 1826-1866, for Mexican pioneers, mountain men, the Army of the West, Mormon Battalion, Boundary Commission, Forty-Niners, Railway Survey, Butterfield Overland Mail stages, and California Legion. It was . . . — Map (db m51578) HM
California (San Diego County), Anza-Borrego Desert State Park — 750 — Peg Leg Smith
Thomas L. Smith, better known as "Peg Leg" Smith, 1801-1866, was a mountain man, prospector, and spinner of tall tales. Legends regarding his lost mine have grown through the years. Countless people have searched the desert looking for its fabulous . . . — Map (db m51585) HM
California (San Diego County), Anza-Borrego Desert State Park — 793 — San Felipe
Here the southern trail of explorers, trappers, soldiers, and emigrants crossed ancient trade routes of Kamia, Cahuilla, Diegueno, and Luiseno Indians. On the flat southwest across the creek, Warren F. Hall built and operated the San Felipe home . . . — Map (db m51583) HM
California (San Diego County), Anza-Borrego Desert State Park — 673 — San Gregorio
Somewhere in this narrow valley, perhaps on this very spot, the Anza Expeditions of 1774 and 1775 made their camps. Water for the 240 people and over 800 head of stock on the 1775 march was obtained from a series of wells, deeper than the height of . . . — Map (db m51575) HM
California (San Diego County), Anza-Borrego Desert State Park — 634 — The Anza Trail
This route was opened by Captain Juan Bautista De Anza and Father Francisco Garces in 1774. Anza's expedition of 1775, a group of 240 soldiers and settlers being led from Sonora to found San Francisco, encamped near this place El Vado (The Ford), . . . — Map (db m51586) HM
California (San Diego County), Blair Valley — 647 — Butterfield Overland Mail Route
This pass, puerta, between the desert and the cooler valleys to the north, was used by the Mormon Battalion. Kearny's Army of the West, the Butterfield Overland Mail Stages, and emigrants who eventually settled the west. The eroded scar on the left . . . — Map (db m51581) HM
California (San Diego County), Borrego Springs — 785 — Santa Catarina
This spring area was named by Captain Juan Bautista De Anza when his Overland Exploration party camped here on March 14, 1774. During the opening of the Anza Trail from Sonora into Alta California. Anza's colonizing expedition of 1775, consisting of . . . — Map (db m50365) HM
California (San Diego County), Camp Pendleton — Alligator MarinesSemper Fidelis
This marker is dedicated to the Alligator Marines of the 2nd Amphibian Tractor Battalion who served in World War II They participated in action against the enemy on Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian and Okinawa 1942 - 1945 May all who . . . — Map (db m81326) WM
California (San Diego County), Camp Pendleton — Boys of '45
They were the Boys of ’45, Marine veterans of the Pacific Island hopping campaigns, 18 to 21 year olds, and the career Marines who had been at every clime and place. They were the 3d, 4th, and 5th Marine Divisions and Support Units. They were the . . . — Map (db m88488) WM
California (San Diego County), Camp Pendleton — Las Flores AdobeBuilt in 1868
This 6,000-square-foot ranch complex is C-shaped, with a carriage house at one end and a two-story building at the other. It is one of only a few authentic nineteenth-century adobe ranch houses of its kind—combining both Hacienda and Monterey . . . — Map (db m81323) HM
California (San Diego County), Camp Pendleton — Las Flores Asistencia
From 1823 to the 1840's, the tile-roofed adobe chapel and hostel at Las Flores, built by Father Antonio Peyrí, served as the asistencia to Mission San Luís Rey and provided comfort to travelers on El Camino Real. The adobe structure and adjacent . . . — Map (db m81322) HM
California (San Diego County), Camp Pendleton — Retreat Hell!Chosin Reservoir Nov - Dec 1950
We few, we Chosin few, we eternal band of brothers. — Map (db m88490) WM
California (San Diego County), Campo — 411 — Campo Stone Store
The pioneer Gaskill brothers of 1868 built a frame store which was raided on December 4, 1875, by border bandits. This fort-like replacement of summer, 1885, was bought in 1896 by E.T. Aiken, resold to Klauber Wangenheim, 1889, and operated by Henry . . . — Map (db m51087) HM
California (San Diego County), Campo — Hatfield – The Rainmaker
Charles M. Hatfield agreed with San Diego City Council members, after a four year draught, to “make it rain” sufficiently to fill Lake Morena Reservoir for $10,000. His “rain enhancing” tower and pans were erected south of . . . — Map (db m49824) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — Agua Hedionda Lagoon
Why is it endangered? The lagoon before you, Agua Hedionda, is one of the few remaining coastal wetlands along the Southern California coastline. All of the lagoons are threatened by the pressures of development, agriculture, and industry. . . . — Map (db m71190) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — Capt. John A. FrazierJuly 18, 1833 - July 16, 1899
Discoverer of the famous Carlsbad mineral water and co-founder of the City of Carlsbad, California While drilling for fresh water for his farm on this spot in 1882, John Frazier sank three wells - one 415 feet, one 450 feet, and one 510 . . . — Map (db m100680) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — Carlsbad by the Sea Retirement Community
In 1881, Captain John A. Frazier, a homesteader, purchased 127 acres of oceanfront land for $1200. While drilling for drinking water in 1884, Frazier tapped into an underground mineral spring. He built a 510 foot well tower and began promoting the . . . — Map (db m100673) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — Carlsbad Santa Fe Depot
Original depot built in 1887 and also served as telegraph, Wells Fargo, post office and general store. Renamed "Carl" from 1907 to 1917, it became the hub of local agriculture about 1915. The last passenger train stopped in 1957 and it was closed in . . . — Map (db m100672) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — 1020 — Leo Carrillo Ranch(Rancho de Los Kiotes)
Between 1937 and 1940, these adobe and wood buildings were built by actor Leo Carrillo as a retreat, working ranch, and tribute to old California culture and architecture. The Leo Carrillo Ranch, with its Flying "LC" brand, originally covered 2,538 . . . — Map (db m51105) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — St. Michael's By-the-Sea Episcopal Church
The first church built in Carlsbad was St. Michael's By-the-Sea Episcopal Church. Originally erected in 1894 overlooking the ocean on Oak Avenue, the quaint Gothic structure was moved to it current site in 1959 when Florence Shipley Magee donated an . . . — Map (db m100674) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — Stagecoach Park
The Andres Ybarra Ranch House on this portion of Rancho Las Encinitas was long used as a station on the two-day stage run from San Diego to Los Angeles after 1864. — Map (db m82277) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — The Carlsbad Theatre
The Carlsbad Theatre had its grand opening on February 8, 1927 with the showing of the film "It" starring Clara Bow. Mr. A.J. Clark, the developer and manager, hosted the ceremonies. The Theatre featured a full stage, fly gallery, orchestra pit, . . . — Map (db m105710) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — The Magee House
. . . — Map (db m100676) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — Twin Inns
This Victorian structure was built in 1887 for Gerhard Schutte, whose role in the development of the town led to his being called the "Father of Carlsbad." Schutte and partners Samuel Church Smith and D.D. Wadsworth founded the Carlsbad Land and . . . — Map (db m100677) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — Welcome to Agua Hedionda
Who has been here? The lands around you have been inhabited by people for over 10,000 years. The rolling hills and canyons cradling the lagoon provided shelter and food with an abundance of native plants and trees. The Luiseño . . . — Map (db m71169) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — Christmas TreeHotel del Coronado
Here stands the world's first electrically-lighted outdoor Christmas tree, unveiled at the Hotel del Coronado on December 24, 1904 — Map (db m70553) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — Dragon TreeDracaema Draco, agavaceae — Hotel Del Coronado
Native to the Canary Islands this unusual tree was planted at The Del prior to the turn of the century where it thrives in our temperate southern California coastal climate. The Dragon Tree was used as a backdrop in the Marilyn Monroe movie . . . — Map (db m70552) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — 818 — First Military Flying School(U.S. Naval Air Station, North Island)
The flat lands beyond have been a part of aviation history since Glenn Curtis founded the first military flying school in America here on January 17, 1911. The Army operated Rockwell Field until January 31, 1939; the Navy commissioned the present . . . — Map (db m61548) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — 844 — Hotel del Coronado
This Victorian hotel, built in 1887, is one of America’s largest wooden buildings. Few seaside resort hotels of this significant architectural style remain in America. The hotel has hosted several presidents and other national figures. — Map (db m11108) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — Star Park
Designed in 1886 as part of the original Coronado City Plan, this park once boasted a star shaped flower garden with a fountain in the center. The five streets, which still exist, radiated from the points of the star. Upkeep of the landscaping . . . — Map (db m68431) HM
California (San Diego County), Descanso — Descanso Town Hall1898
The Descanso Town Hall was dedicated on Christmas Day 1898 “to the general public for religious, political, literary and social purposes” and has served as the center of the local community. It is reminiscent of other community halls . . . — Map (db m82449) HM
California (San Diego County), El Cajon — Amaziah Lord Knox1833-1918
Founder of Knox's Corners, later the City of El Cajon Owner of community's first business, the Knox Hotel on the southwest corner of Main and Magnolia; first Postmaster, County roadmaster; charter member of California's International Order of . . . — Map (db m54383) HM
California (San Diego County), El Cajon — Historic El Cajon Hall̴ 1894 ̴
This building has also served as newspaper office, a bank, telephone company, a lodge, Farmers Institute and a meat market. Purchased by the Weinstock family and served as an appliance and radio store 1932 Purchased & restored by . . . — Map (db m54384) HM
California (San Diego County), Escondido — An Incident of the Mexican War
The Army sent from Santa Fe to occupy California was met and defeated by the Mexicans at San Pasquale. The American forces were driven upon a butte in the desert, on which there was no water and there surrounded by the Mexican forces Edward F. Beale . . . — Map (db m12865) HM
California (San Diego County), Escondido — Daley Ranch
Livestock has always been the major land use at Daley Ranch. Besides cattle, for dairying and beef, the Daley's would raise horses. Some were specialty breeds, like the Hamiltonians used for pulling carts in a racing walk. When the automobile became . . . — Map (db m79156) HM
California (San Diego County), Escondido — San Pasqual
The State of California honors with this monument the American Soldiers who, under the leadership of Brig.-Gen. Stephen W. Kearny, Captain Abraham R. Johnston, Captain Benjamin D. Moore, Edward F. Beale, U.S.N., and Kit Carson, the . . . — Map (db m51980) HM
California (San Diego County), Escondido — 533 — San Pasqual Battlefield
While marching to the conquest and occupation of California during the Mexican War, a detachment of 1st U.S. Dragoons, under the command of Brig. Gen. Stephen W. Kearny, was met on this site by native California lancers under, the command of Gen. . . . — Map (db m51095) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Bailey House
home of Drury D. Bailey Founder of Julian in 1869 House completed in 1876 — Map (db m82430) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — De Luca House1893
Frank Antonio De Luca, Italian immigrant, naturalized 1872 at Memphis, TN. and wife, Florence, created this small house, typical of Julian, in 1897 from a studless rough plank cabin built in 1893 by miner C.L. Barnett. De Luca came here in 1889, age . . . — Map (db m82414) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — De Luca Store1890
Frank De Luca, Italian immigrant, built this general store featuring fresh produce. A cold spring, struck in the excavation, spawned a cellar saloon. Julian voted dry in 1902 under local option law. The popular saloon thereafter sold only . . . — Map (db m82419) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — F.L. Blanc Rental1899
This is one of the three rentals built near 3rd and "C" St. By F.L. Blanc, first resident preacher of Julian. This site still has the well drilled to provide running water for his mining tenants. They no longer had to carry it 2 blks up hill from . . . — Map (db m84773) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — F.L. Blanc Warehouse1906
Built by F.L.Blanc, Parson, Carpenter, Lumberman to store apple box "shook" for drying. When box making failed to pay, he turned it into his first store selling lumber, paint & "A small stock of luxuries." It was used as a rental in the 30's and . . . — Map (db m84775) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Frary House1897
Almon Phineas Frary, Jr. and his bride, Elizabeth, assembled this small house, typical of Julian, by joining Al's miner's cabin to an abandoned one-room school house on the site of the dismantled Overland Hotel & Saloon and Julian's second town . . . — Map (db m82418) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Honoring Black Pioneers of Julian
33 of the 55 black residents listed in the 1880 U.S. Census for San Diego County, lived in the Julian area. First to find gold was Fred Coleman in 1869. A creek, mining camp and a toll road bear his name. Albert Robinson and wife Margaret founded . . . — Map (db m82388) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Hoskings Rental1903
A mining & ranching town, many Julian people could not afford to buy a home on $3.00/10 hr. day. This rental, typical of many here, provided 564 sq. ft., four rooms, kerosene lamps, woodstove, hand dug well and privy for $6.00 to $12.00/ month. It . . . — Map (db m82417) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Hotel Robinson1897
Built for Albert Robinson, ex-Missouri slave, and wife Margaret on the site of their restaurant – bakery, this sole surviving Julian mining era hotel became famous for its hospitality. Miners, promotors, politicians, sightseers, salesmen, and . . . — Map (db m82413) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Jacoby Building1897
The original general store, with outside walls covered in pressed tin to simulate brick, was built by F.L. Blanc carpenter and minister, for Morris and Rosa Jacoby. It burned to the ground in Aug. 1996 and was rebuilt as a near replica of the . . . — Map (db m82427) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — 412 — Julian
Following the discovery of gold nearby during the winter of 1869-70, this valley became the commercial and social center of a thriving mining district. Ex-Confederate soldier Drury D. Baily laid out the town on his farmland and named it for his . . . — Map (db m51089) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Julian
Historic Gold Mining Town founded by Drury D. Bailey Feb. 1870 — Map (db m82389) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Julian / The Eagle Gold Mine
the two markers are attached to a flag pole Upper Marker Julian This marker placed in memory of Mrs. Ida B. Wellington May 25, 1887 – Dec. 16, 1962 Historian – Humanitarian Daughter of Drury Bailey who . . . — Map (db m82393) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Julian Hotel(Hotel Robinson) — 1897
placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior June 23, 1978 — Map (db m82412) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Julian Jail1914
Run by a citizen constable whose wife cooked for prisoners, this jail held suspects, often involved with whiskey and/or fists, for trial and, if found guilty, for short terms imposed by the Justice of the Peace. Long terms were not served here. . . . — Map (db m82431) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Julian Pioneer MuseumCirca: 1890
In 1888, blacksmith, Joseph Treshil, bought the property from Drury Bailey holder of homestead patent (signed by Pres. Grover Cleveland). The building, with walls two feet thick made of shist & adobe, served as a blacksmith shop. Peter Mayrhoffer, . . . — Map (db m82390) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Julian Town Hall1914
The 1st and 2nd halls, 1871-1876, were businesses available for civic uses. The 3rd, 1876, Centennial Hall, honored the 100th Anniversary of the USA, became too small and was sold for scrap. The 4th, 1897, an impressive building, burned Dec., . . . — Map (db m51699) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Levi~Marks Store1886
This brick building, first in the back-country, was built using 100,000 bricks from Ike Levi's Julian kiln for Adolph Levi, Austrian emigrant, and his partner Joseph Marks, native Mississippian. Dis-solution of the partnership made Marks the sole . . . — Map (db m82428) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — 858 — Pedro Fages Trail
On October 29, 1772, Colonel Pedro Fages headed east from San Diego searching for army deserters. It was the first entry by Europeans into Oriflamme Canyon. From there, Fages and his men traveled on through Cajon Pass, around the Mojave and the . . . — Map (db m51102) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Pioneer Cemetery1870
For over 50 years grave sites on this hill were inaccessible to wagons. Coffins were carried from the wagon to the grave up this walk which bears due west along the 3rd standard parallel south. In 1896 Mary Clough died during a storm. It took . . . — Map (db m82429) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Santa Ysabel School
Built at Witch Creek, ten miles west of Julian in 1888 and used thru June 1954. this historical building was moved to Julian in 1970, and restored by the Julian Historical Society, the County of San Diego, and many other donors. Rededicated . . . — Map (db m82391) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — 304 — Vallecito Stage Station
A reconstruction (1934) of Vallecito Stage Station built in 1852 at the edge of the Great Colorado Desert. It was an important stop on the first official transcontinental route, serving the San Diego-San Antonio ('Jackass') mail line (1857-1859), . . . — Map (db m51579) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — 304 — Vallecito-Butterfield Stage Station19 Miles
One of the chief remaining landmarks of famous old stage line. Coaches and spring wagons carried passengers and mail. Stations were built at 20-mile intervals. The first stage on the line left St. Louis on September 15, 1858. — Map (db m51582) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Wheelbarrow Odometer Survey of 1894
From May 5th to December 29, 1894, Porter Perrin Wheaton, a civil and mining engineer, measured 2328 miles of county roads. His wheelbarrow with odometer, clinometer, and compass made the survey unique. From this data was prepared the first . . . — Map (db m82392) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Wilcox Building1872
This building of hand hewn beam logs cut from Volcan Mtn. was a general store, post office, a stage coach stop, and telephone exchange, owned by story telling Horace F. Wilcox, president of the “Hot Stove Society” - a gathering of men . . . — Map (db m82394) HM
California (San Diego County), Lakeside — Lakeside Auto Speedway (1907)
Considered the first purpose-built auto racing facility in the United States when completed, the Lakeside Auto Speedway transformed the nascent motorsports movement by moving races off dangerous public roads and horse racing tracks. The Speedway . . . — Map (db m82349) HM
California (San Diego County), Lakeside — 425 — Mexican GrantCommemorating Cañada de Los Coches Rancho, — Smallest Mexican Land Grant in Calif.
. . . — Map (db m88571) HM
California (San Diego County), Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton — El Camino Real Bell — [Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton]
Panel 1: This bell marks a place along the original route of El Camino Real, “The Kings Highway”, which connects the 21 missions from San Diego to Sonoma. Suspended from a pipe resembling a shepherd’s staff, the first bell was . . . — Map (db m50664) HM
California (San Diego County), National City — 1023 — National City DepotTranscontinental Railroad
This National City California Southern Railroad Depot, built in 1882, served as the first Pacific Coast Terminus Station of the Santa Fe Railway System's Transcontinental Railroad. The station was the West Coast general office and figured . . . — Map (db m51106) HM
California (San Diego County), National City — National City Historic Railcar PlazaDedicated September 2000
Facts of Interest • This building houses the restored Passenger Coach No. 1 of the old National City & Otay Railway (NC&O), which operated in the South Bay during the early years of this city. • This coach was part of the "Motor Cannon . . . — Map (db m51760) HM
California (San Diego County), Oak Grove — 482 — Camp Wright1861 - 1866
First established October 18, 1861, on Warner's Ranch at "Fork of the Trail to San Diego", to guard the communications between California and Arizona. Moved to this site by Major Edwin A. Rigg, First California Volunteers, about November 23, 1861. . . . — Map (db m51092) HM
California (San Diego County), Oak Grove — 502 — Oak Grove Stage Station
Occupied in 1858 by Warren Hall, Divison Superintendent, Butterfield Overland Mail which operated between San Francisco and the eastern termini, St. Louis and Memphis, from September 15, 1858 to March 2, 1861. The first mail stage from the east . . . — Map (db m51093) HM
California (San Diego County), Oceanside — Andrew Jackson Myers(April 10, 1840 - February 28, 1907)
On this site is the former homestead of the founder of Oceanside, Andrew Jackson (A.J.) Myers. A native of La Salle County Illinois, A. J. Myers was born in 1840, and lived for a time in San Joaquin County, California in 1852. He served in the . . . — Map (db m54231) HM
California (San Diego County), Oceanside — 239 — Mission San Luís Rey de Francia
Founded June 12, 1798 by Father Lasuen, then president of the California missions, and administered by Father Peyri. Notable for its impressive architecture — a composite of Spanish, Moorish, and Mexican. — Map (db m401) HM
California (San Diego County), Oceanside — Oceanside Pier
At an election held - June 19, 1926, to vote 100,000 bonds for the construction of this pier, the people of Oceanside voted 685 for, and 95 against. Contract awarded - December 8, 1926. Construction finished and Pier officailly dedicated to . . . — Map (db m62145) HM
California (San Diego County), Oceanside — Remember Pearl HarborKeep America Alert — December 7, 1941
Leslie Alford USS California • Melvin Allison USS Dobbin • John Anderson USS Widgeon • Earl S. Arneson USS New Orleans • Jack Arnold Ford Island NAS • Richard Aufmann 1st Defense Bn. • Lee Averett USS Tracy • Richard Baker USS San . . . — Map (db m62148) WM
California (San Diego County), Oceanside — 1026 — Santa Margarita Ranch
In July, 1769, the Portola Expedition named this area for St. Margaret of Antioch. The Mission San Luis Rey 1827 inventories list a small building in the area. In 1841, Rancho Santa Margarita y San Onofre was granted to Andres and Pio Pico, the last . . . — Map (db m51107) HM
California (San Diego County), Oceanside — Walled GardenMission San Luis Rey
First panel: Walled Garden The Mission grew a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and grains in a number of vast gardens for the use of their community. This garden, located west of the Mission, was walled with adobe bricks to . . . — Map (db m63512) HM
California (San Diego County), Ocotillo Wells — 635 — Los Puertecitos
Juan Bautista De Anza's expedition marched through this little pass December 19, 1775. On its way to strengthen Spanish colonization in California. Many of the 240 members of the party were recruited from Mexico to be the first residents of San . . . — Map (db m51584) HM
California (San Diego County), Pacific Beach — Surfer's MemorialTourmaline Canyon Surfing Park
This monument honors the past and present surfers at Tourmaline Canyon Surfing Park who have embraced its beach, surf and camaraderie. Since the opening of the park in May 1963, Tourmaline's local surfers have shared their time, skills, and wisdom . . . — Map (db m84586) HM
California (San Diego County), Pacific Beach — The Ballad of P.B.
Pelican Brown was in search of a home where he could have fun and relax he looked for a beach that was pretty and a sea that was swimming with snacks. He flew up and down the long coastline looking both far and quite near then one . . . — Map (db m84187) HM
California (San Diego County), Pala — 243 — La Asistencia de San Antonio de Pala
Notable for its bell-tower or campanile. The chapel was built by Father Peyri, 1816. Almost destroyed by earthquake and storm. But later restored. Indians are still at Pala. — Map (db m51083) HM
California (San Diego County), Pala — Mission San Antonio de Pala
Located 23 miles east of San Luis Rey de Francia, this assistant mission was founded in 1810. The church was dedicated June 13, 1816 by Fray Antonio Peyri. Damaged by earthquake in 1899; restored 1903 when archetypal paintings were . . . — Map (db m83283) HM
California (San Diego County), Pine Valley — Buckman Springs
Not far from here, Amos Buckman (1820 – 1898) discovered what is known today as Buckman Springs. After spending time in the Napa Valley following his arrival from Massachusetts, he moved his family to San Diego in 1871. The Buckmans eventually . . . — Map (db m82450) HM
California (San Diego County), Poway — 8 — Baldwin Locomotive No. 3Built - 1907
First used to haul rock for the Cowell Portland Cement Company in Concord, CA. Brought to the City of Poway by Colonel Porter in 1966. Purchased by the City in 1988 and restored by the Poway-Midland Volunteers from 1991-1994. — Map (db m74111) HM
California (San Diego County), Poway — City of Poway Veterans Park
"All gave some some gave all" — Map (db m74102) WM
California (San Diego County), Poway — 7 — Community Church of PowayOpened 1887
Land donated by John C. Stone and his wife in 1883. Samuel Bowron coordinated construction. Dr. Hilleary generously donated funding. Deemed the "oldest structure in continual use as a church in San Diego County." — Map (db m74104) HM
California (San Diego County), Poway — Community Church of PowayUnited Church of Christ
Founded by Methodist Episcopal Church 1883. Oldest structure in continuous use as a church in San Diego County. Erected circa 1887, exchanged for Oceanside Congregational Church, 1893. — Map (db m74114) HM
California (San Diego County), Poway — 6 — Dearborn Memorial Park
Est. 1886 - Dedicated 1950 By the Pomerado Cemetery District Land donated by Dr. Hilleary for use as the first town cemetery. John T. Dearborn was the first person buried in the cemetery in 1886. — Map (db m74704) HM
California (San Diego County), Poway — 5 — DJ Ranch Formerly: Kent FarmBuilt - 1900
Original home and peach orchards of Walter Kent and Family. Purchased by present owners in 1963. Became horse and cattle ranch known as DJ Ranch. — Map (db m74698) HM
California (San Diego County), Poway — 4 — Flint FarmBuilt -1882
Constructed by fruit farmer Horace Kent and son Lewis. Family grew peaches, grapes and other fruits. Home was given to daughter Mary. Farm was willed to her husband, Ed Flint. — Map (db m74242) HM
California (San Diego County), Poway — 3 — Nelson HouseBuilt 1918
An original Poway farmhouse. First owned by Niles Nelson and family. Relocated from Garden Road to the park in 1991. — Map (db m74106) HM
California (San Diego County), Poway — 2 — Porter HouseEst. 1945
Home of Colonel John Porter and family. Relocated from Lake Hodges. First building established in Old Poway Park. — Map (db m74105) HM
California (San Diego County), Poway — 1 — Templars HallBuilt 1886
Meeting place for the International Order of Good Templars Served as Poway's first high school A place for social and community events Once was a thrift store and tack and feed store — Map (db m74090) HM
California (San Diego County), Ramona — Ramona Town Hall
Dedicated on Washington's birthday, February 22, 1894, this building was given to the townspeople of Nuevo (as Ramona was then known) by a rancher and financier Augustus Barnett and his wife Martha. Feeling that the local schoolhouse was not a . . . — Map (db m82350) HM
California (San Diego County), Ramona — Theophile Verlaque House1886
This house, built by French immigrant Theophile Verlaque in 1886, was the first permanent residence in the community of Nuevo, later known as Ramona. It is one of the oldest and best preserved buildings in the San Diego backcountry and is closely . . . — Map (db m82352) HM
California (San Diego County), Ramona — Verlaque House (1886)
Theophile Verlaque (1823-1913), a French immigrant, was a successful San Diego entreprenuer, saloon keeper, vintner and real estate speculator. Verlaque was a friend of Bernard Etcheverry, a French Basque immigrant, who by 1880 owned 16,700 . . . — Map (db m82351) HM
California (San Diego County), Rancho Santa Fe — Olivenhain Meeting Hall
Colony Olivenhain was settled by German immigrants who arrived from Denver in 1844. Each member was granted five acres and use of the community's horse teams and equipment. In 1895, the colonists erected a community hall for meetings and social . . . — Map (db m72690) HM
California (San Diego County), Rancho Santa Fe — 982 — Rancho Santa Fe
Rancho Santa Fe began as Rancho San Dieguito, a land grant of nearly 9,000 acres made to Juan María Osuna in 1845. The Santa Fe Railway Company later used the land to plant thousands of eucalyptus trees for use as railroad ties. In the 1920s Rancho . . . — Map (db m71704) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 1030 — “Star of India” — [Maritime Museum of San Diego]
The “Star of India,” a three masted bark, is the oldest iron-hulled merchant ship afloat. Built on the Isle of Man, Great Britain, she was launched in 1863 and christened “Euterpe”, the trans-Pacific trade from 1871-1898 . . . — Map (db m50848) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 1906 Old Town Convent
Originally built as the St. Joseph’s Rectory at the corner of Fourth Avenue and Beech Street downtown, this building was moved through the streets of San Diego to this site in 1940. Here, it was used by the Catholic Church as a seminary, convent, . . . — Map (db m71059) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 49 — Adobe Chapel of The Immaculate Conception
Originally built as the home of San Diego’s John Brown in 1850, the house was converted to a church by Don Jose Aguirre in 1858. Father Antonio D. Ubach , formally a missionary among the Indians, was parish priest here from 1866 to 1907. It is said . . . — Map (db m11652) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Adobe Construction
The Casa de Aguirre, like many of Old Town’s original buildings, was constructed of adobe. Adobe bricks, flooring, roof tiles, and other materials were made locally by combining clay, sand, water and straw and pouring this mixture into wooden forms. . . . — Map (db m71060) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Balboa Park
The city’s haven for culture and leisure San Diego’s Cultural Oasis Located just minutes away from downtown San Diego, Balboa Park provides an enriching experience for more than 14 million visitors from near and far each year. Referred to . . . — Map (db m73907) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Balboa Theatre
The Balboa Theatre Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1924 — Map (db m51457) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 50 — Ballast Point Whaling Station Site
Late in 1857, the three Johnson brothers and the twin Packard brothers came to this site to survey possibilities for a station to "try out" or extract whale oil. Their operations began the next year. In 1869 the U.S. Government acquired the property . . . — Map (db m81235) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Birthplace of The San Diego Union
A pioneer newspaper of California Founded October 10, 1868 — Map (db m11661) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Birthplace of The San Diego Union
. . . — Map (db m11664) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Boundary Marker Number 258
Near this site the initial point of the boundary between the United States of America and the Republic of Mexico was established October 10, 1849. Today, the flag of the United States of America is again raised to symbolize friendship between the . . . — Map (db m51587) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Bum - San Diego’s Official Town Dog / Greyfriars BobbyThe “Tail” of Two Cities – The Brother Dogs Project
Bum San Diego’s Official Town Dog Died November 10, 1898 – Aged 12 Years Loved by everyone – owned by no one. His name suited him because he arrived as a town stowaway, befriended everyone and “bummed” quality food . . . — Map (db m52910) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Buque Escuela Juan Sebastian de Elcano
Commemorating the visit of the officers and men Buque Escuela Juan Sebastian De Elcano in homage to their comrades-at-arms who at this place raised and defended the flag of Spain - 1797 to 1821 Dedicado en pax y amistad San Diego, . . . — Map (db m81237) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 56 — Cabrillo Landing
Seeking the mythical Strait of Anián (the Northwest Passage) for Spain, on September 28, 1542, Iberian navigator Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo brought his three ships to Ballast Point, the first European landing on the coast of Alta California. . . . — Map (db m81236) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Cabrillo’s Ships
The first three sailing vessels to enter San Diego Bay came from the direction you are facing. They were the San Salvador, the Victoria and the San Miguel - Spanish vessels commanded by Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo. The San . . . — Map (db m15439) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 62 — Callan Hotel 1878
In 1886, Till Burnes leased this structure as his Acme Saloon. Here he kept his menagerie which included a wildcat, noisy monkeys, an anteater, and his pet bear who escaped on a least two occasions. The bear was also known to lick the face or even . . . — Map (db m109358) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 74 — Casa de Carrillo
Presidio Comandante Francisco Maria Ruiz built this house next to his 1808 pear garden late in 1821 for his close relative and fellow soldier, Joaquin Carrillo, and his large family. From this adobe dwelling, in April 1829, daughter Josefa Carrillo . . . — Map (db m82465) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 60 — Casa de Lopez
Built by Juan Francisco Lopez, one of San Diego's early Spanish settlers, the Casa Larga, or Long House, was among the first substantial houses built in the Pueblo of San Diego about 1835. In 1846 it was the home of Juan Matias Moreno, secretary to . . . — Map (db m11128) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 70 — Casa de Pedrorena de Altamirano
Miguel Pedrorena Jr. built this adobe structure in 1869. It was the final adobe built in Old Town. In January 1871 Pedrorena gave the building to his sister Isabel de Altamirano, joining together two pioneer California families. Isabel and her . . . — Map (db m11777) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 7 — Casa de Thomas Addition, 1930
While it appears to be part of the Quin Building, this structure is actually a separate addition built by Thomas Quin. Between 1930 and 1944, it was leased to several proprietors, and operated as an automobile service garage known as the Empire . . . — Map (db m52685) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 88 — Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Assoc., 1911
The original tenants of the two-story, Oriental-theme structure were the Gee Goon Tong, famous for their help in plotting the 1912 revolution which formed the Republic of China. The Benevolent Society was founded in 1920 as an outgrowth of the Tong, . . . — Map (db m52949) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Chinese Fishing and Shipbuilding Site
From around 1860 to the early 1890's, the Chinese had a fishing village at this site along the La Playa Trail. The village had ten shanties, drying racks and salting tanks. At the shore was a shipbuilding facility where Chinese junks were . . . — Map (db m82320) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 2 — Chinese Laundry, 1923
The south half of this building was the Hop Lee Chong Laundry, a Chinese laundry in continuous use from the building's construction in 1923 until 1964. The north half was the home of several Oriental businesses such as the "American Company", . . . — Map (db m52651) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 86 — Chinese Mission Building, 1927
This California Mission Revival-style building was designed by Louis Gill, nephew and protege of Irving Gill. The facade of the one-story chapel features a sloping red-tile roof over a central bell tower. The Chinese Mission, located in the building . . . — Map (db m52947) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Clifton A. F. Sprague, Vice Admiral, USNBorn 8 January 1896 - Died 11 April 1955
[Front]: Awards Navy Cross for the 25 October 1944 action off Samar. Admiral Sprague was aboard the escort carrier, USS Fanshaw Bay during this engagement. Legion of Merit Medal for his command of the USS Wasp. Gold Star in lieu of . . . — Map (db m8521) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Command Center, Building 200San Diego Naval Training Center — Liberty Station
Built in 1941, The Command Center was the focal point of the base. These were offices for the highest-ranking officers, including the Admiral in Command of the Center; the Station Commander, a Captain in charge of the buildings; the Recruit Training . . . — Map (db m50741) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 8 — Cotheret Building, 1903
Throughout the Gaslamp, this is the only building with an original second story balcony. The upstairs has operated as rented rooms under the names of the Cotheret, Ardmore, and Gaslamp Hotel. The Canary Cottage, run by San Diego's most notorious . . . — Map (db m52688) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Derby Dike
Until 1853 the erratic San Diego River dumped tons of debris into the harbor or poured into False Bay, now Mission Bay. At times it threatened to destroy Old Town San Diego. Lieutenant George Horatio Derby, U.S. Topographical Corps, built a dike . . . — Map (db m11136) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Don Antonio AguirreSan Diego Merchant and Ranchero — 1799 – 1860
Don Jose Antonio Aguirre built his adobe mansion on this site on or just prior to 1868. Because the Casa de Aguirre was one of the first houses in Old Town, the Aguirre – Antonio, his wife Rosaria and their many children – are considered . . . — Map (db m11648) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Downtown San Diego
"Go forth, with spirit, the civic vision, and the courage to build the city of your dreams." —Alonzo E. Horton A Vibrant New Town The most striking evidence of the city’s downtown renaissance is its skyline. From the sculptural . . . — Map (db m73906) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 784 — El Camino Real
This plaque is placed on the 250th anniversary of the birth of California’s Apostle Padre Junipero Serra O.F.M., to mark the Southern terminus of El Camino Real as Padre Serra knew it and helped to blaze it. 1713 – November 24 – 1963 . . . — Map (db m11958) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 68 — El Campo Santo (The Holy Field)
El Campo Santo once included The Adobe Chapel on Conde Street, in which is buried Jose Antonio Aguirre and where funeral services were held for Maria Victoria Dominguez Estrillo, Cave Johnson Couts, and many distinguished early San Diegans, between . . . — Map (db m11672) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 64 — El Desembarcadero
A landing near this point was used on May 1, 1769, by men from the San Antonio and San Carlos to bring fresh water from the San Diego River close by to the anchorage in the bay. For almost a century the landing and channel were used by . . . — Map (db m51079) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Estudillo House
. . . — Map (db m11781) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Father Antonio UbachLast of the Padres — 1835 – 1907
Antonio Dominic Ubach, passionate advocate for California Native Americans, and defender of Indian rights, ran St. Anthony’s Indian School on this site from 1856 to 1891. Father Ubach, created programs to help hundreds of Indian children adapt to an . . . — Map (db m11647) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 1031 — Ferryboat "Berkeley" — [Maritime Museum of San Diego]
The steam ferryboat "Berkeley" was the first successful west coast-built and operated ferry to be driven by a screw propeller as opposed to side-wheels. Built by the famous Union Iron Works of San Francisco in 1898, the ferry operated until 1958 as . . . — Map (db m51330) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — First Holy Mass Celebrated in California
This boulder erected November 12, 1932 by Court San Diego de Alcalá, No. 1099 of the Catholic Daughters of America, to commemorate the first Holy Mass celebrated in California, November 12, 1602 upon the arrival on this site of Sebastián Vizcaíno . . . — Map (db m81238) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — First Raising of U.S. Flag
On this site the United States Flag was first raised in Southern California by Lt. Stephen G. Rowan U.S.N., Commanding Sailors and Marines July 29, 1846. — Map (db m13043) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — First San Diego Courthouse
1847    First fire-brick structure in San Diego. Constructed by Mormon Battalion. 1849   Headquarters of the U.S. Boundary Commission 1850   Served as courthouse, church, school, and polling place over next two decades. . . . — Map (db m84183) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Fort Guijarros Site
An outpost of Spain's far flung empire at its greatest extent, this fort was completed before 1800 from plans drawn by Alberto de Córdoba in 1795. Its major action came under Corporal José Velásquez on March 22, 1803, in the "Battle of San Diego . . . — Map (db m81234) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 62 — Fort Rosecrans
President Millard Fillmore's executive order of 1852 created a U. S. Preserve on Point Loma. From 1870 to 1873 the coast artillery corpsmen evicted whalers from the site in order to begin the military installation. In 1899 it was named for William . . . — Map (db m81222) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 55 — Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery
A burial ground before 1847, this graveyard became an Army post cemetery in the 1860s. It is the final resting place for most who fell at San Pasqual in 1846, and for the USS Bennington victims of 1905. It became Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in . . . — Map (db m82324) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 54 — Fort Stockton
Fortified briefly by Carlos Carrillo in 1838. This site became Fort Dupont (July –November 1846) after American forces took Old Town during the Mexican War. Retaken and held briefly by the Californios, it fell once more to the Americans, who . . . — Map (db m81720) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Fray Junipero Serra
Aca estaba “Cosoy” Antigua Ranchero de los indios Cabrillo la descurrio y la llama “San Miguel” 1542. Viscaino la visito y la nombro “San Diego de Alcada” 1602 aca Fray Junipero Serra Apostol de California y . . . — Map (db m13055) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 10 — Frey Block, 1911
The Frey Block Building contains a rich ethnic history. In its first few years, the Frey brothers from France operated a second hand store here. The site later housed several Oriental restaurants. Near one entrance, one can find a tile advertisement . . . — Map (db m52690) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 75 — George Hill Building, 1897
This three-story structure was built to replace the landmark Horton’s Hall, which was partially destroyed by fire. The building was designed for five storerooms on the first floor, and thirty offices on the upper floors. The San Diego Normal School, . . . — Map (db m51597) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — George White Marston1850 - 1946 — Friend of His Fellow Men Lover of all Growing Things
Piece by piece through many years he acquired these acres, the site of the first Spanish settlement in California. He erected this building. He planted the trees and shrubs and nurtured their growth with tireless devotion, and when the barren . . . — Map (db m84997) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Gun Platform No. 1 - 1945San Diego Naval Training Center
The two larger mounts are 5-inch 51 calibre guns which were found on older battleships. This gun was designed to engage surface craft, especially swift torpedo boats that were too fast to be tracked and destroyed by a battleship’s large main guns. . . . — Map (db m52029) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Gun Platform No. 2 - 1945San Diego Naval Training Center
The three weapons are 3-inch 50 calibre duel purpose guns. Developed in the 1930s, the design was light weight for its time and used until automatic anti-aircraft weapons were perfected. This weapon was favored on smaller ships such as support . . . — Map (db m52030) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Gunnery Sergeant John BasiloneNovember 4, 1916 - February 19, 1945 — Piazza Basilone
Sergeant John Basilone was one of the first enlisted Marines to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor of World War II. He was also posthumously awarded the Navy Cross. He was born to Italian immigrants, Salvatore and Dora Basilone, in . . . — Map (db m83897) HM WM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Harbor Lights
No lighthouse kept vigil over the harbor four centuries ago when Cabrillo sailed into the bay. There were no channel buoys, fog horns, or local charts to guide mariners safely to anchor. Today, however, the Coast Guard and Port of San Diego provide . . . — Map (db m84888) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 93 — Horton Grand - Kahle Saddlery – 1886Historic Building
San Diego’s oldest Victorian hotel, the Grand Hotel was renamed the Hotel Horton in 1907, and is now the Horton Grand. In 1981, the Horton and the Kahle Saddlery, both located at different sites and slated for demolition, were disassembled, moved . . . — Map (db m51358) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 77 — I.O.O.F. Building, 1882
A joint effort of the Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodges, this Classical Revival-style building required nearly a decade to complete due to a lack of money and materials. A parade kicked off the long awaited laying of the cornerstone, into which was . . . — Map (db m51620) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — In Homage to the Spanish Expedition
En homenaje a la expedición española integrada por los buques San Salvador, Victoria y San Miguel que arribó a San Diego el 28 de septiembre de 1542 a mando de Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo quien tomó posesión de estas tierras en . . . — Map (db m85405) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — In Memory of the Heros of the Battle of San PasqualThey fought a good fight
1st United States Dragoons Company C Sergent. John Cox • Corporl William. C. West • Private George Ashmead • Private Joseph T. Campbell • Private Williamm. Dalton • Private John Dunlop • Private Joseph B. Kennedy • Private William. C. Leckey . . . — Map (db m82318) HM WM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — In Memory of the Mormon Battalion
whose members made the longest military march in U.S. History of over 2000 miles from Iowa to San Diego in 1846 – 1847 during the war with Mexico. Albert Warren Dunham Private – Company B 23 May 1828 – 11 May 1847 . . . — Map (db m82319) HM WM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Ingram PlazaPreble Field, Naval Training Center San Diego — — Liberty Station —
Panel 1 This plaza is dedicated to the memory of Osmond K. Ingram Gunner's Mate First Class United States Navy who sacrificed his life in an effort to save his ship and shipmates during an engagement between the U.S.S. Cassin and . . . — Map (db m51535) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Joao Rodrigues Cabrilho 1542Ao-Navegador-Portugues — Homena-Gen.DaMarinha D-Guerra Portuguesa
To the Portuguese Navigator Joao-Rodrigues Cabrilho A tribute from the Portuguese Navy — Map (db m12887) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Johnson-Taylor Adobe Ranch House
Established in 1862 by George Alonzo Johnson. The residence and later additions were used as a hotel, bunkhouse, and quarters for a working cattle ranch into the 1960's. Acquired by the County of San Diego in 1974, added to the National Register of . . . — Map (db m74495) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Juan Bandini
[Upper Marker] Dedicated to Juan Bandini 1800 – 1859 Patriot and Friend of the United States [Lower Marker] This structure has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey of the United . . . — Map (db m13062) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Junipero Serra Museum
On this hill July 16, 1769, Padre Junipero Serra and the soldiers of Spain set the royal standard raised the cross and dedicated the Mission San Diego de Alcala — Map (db m51993) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 764 — Kate Olivia Sessions' Nursery Site1857 - 1940
This plaque commemorates the life and influence of a woman who envisioned San Diego beautiful. On this site she operated a nursery and gained world renown as a horticulturist. She was the first woman to receive the International Meyer Medal in . . . — Map (db m51098) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 31 — Keating Building, 1890
This Romanesque-style structure was financed by George Keating, but he passed away before its completion. His wife Fannie directed the completion, which is evidenced in the more feminine and decorative appearance of the upper floors. In 1893, San . . . — Map (db m51740) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — La Casa de Estudillo
1829   Large adobe-block townhouse buiilt by José Antonio Etudillo. Included servants' quarter, work and storage rooms, living and dining rooms, and Roman Catholic chapel. 1884   Helen Hunt Jackson's Ramona published, linking the . . . — Map (db m84725) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — La Playa Trail
JEDEDIAH STRONG SMITH Pathfinder of the Sierras Here completed the first trail from The Atlantic to the Pacific, Jan. 1827 — Map (db m14502) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — La Playa Trail
The Oldest Commercial Trail in the Western United States — Map (db m14504) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 57 — La Punta De Los Muertos(Dead Men's Point)
Burial site of Sailors and Marines in 1782 when San Diego Bay was surveyed & charted by Don Juan Pantoja y Arriaga, pilot, and Don José Tovar, mate, of the Royal frigate "La Princesa" and "La Favorita" under command of Don Augustin de Echeverria. — Map (db m51076) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Landing of Cabríllo
On September 28, 1542, Juan Rodriguez Cabríllo and his crew sailed into this harbor and became the first Europeans to set foot on what would later become the west coast of the United States. The exact landing area is not known, but many believe that . . . — Map (db m85068) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Lane Field Ballpark SiteFirst Home of the PCL San Diego Padres — 1936-1957
Hurriedly built in two months by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) for $25,000 in 1936, this wooden, green painted and later termite-infested ballpark was the original home of the Pacific Coast League (PCL) San Diego Padres. The breeze that . . . — Map (db m83871) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 5 — Lester Hotel, 1906
The first floor of this building has a colorful tenant history. The Goodwill Bar operated from 1906 to 1945. In 1945, Mike McIntosh and Sam Dini purchased the business. They were responsible for the "McDini" corned beef sandwhich of local fame. In . . . — Map (db m52682) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Little Italy Landmark SignLittle Italy - San Diego - California
The Little Italy Landmark Sign was dedicated and lit at the 7th Annual Little Italy Festa on the evening of October 8, 2000. The landmark sign was constructed as a tribute to this immigrant neighborhood which, until the late 1960s, was the hub of . . . — Map (db m109344) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Lloyd T. Lowrey PlazaSan Diego County Heritage Park
Lloyd T. Lowrey was a parks designer and landscape architect. he was a designer of the Blue Ridge Parkway, which connects the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia to the great Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina, and Director of San . . . — Map (db m51787) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Lt. George H. Derby
. . . — Map (db m84359) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Madeleine & Vincent DePhilippisLittle Italy Legends
To a store in San Diego's Little Italy, Vincent DePhilippis (1903 - 1957) and Madeleine Manfredi (1904 -1993) brought their version of the American Dream. Vincent was born in New York and raised in Naples, Italy. Madeleine was born and raised . . . — Map (db m109345) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 35 — Marston Block, 1881
In 1881, George Marston located his third department store in this two-story Victorian Italian-style building. It remained here until 1896 when it was relocated to a larger building. Until the 1970s, Marston’s was the largest and most successful San . . . — Map (db m77092) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 538 — Mason Street School
First public schoolhouse in this county. Erected at this site in 1865 and known as “Mason Street School – District No.1” when San Diego County covered an area larger than three New England states. Restored by popular subscription . . . — Map (db m11587) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 30 — Mercantile Building, 1894
The Mercantile Building is an extension of the Ingersoll-Tutton building to the north. This is evident in its matching architectural beauty. This structure housed several retail and service-oriented businesses, including A.M. Ingersoll’s ice cream . . . — Map (db m51952) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Mission Beach Roller Coaster
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemoration the history of the United States of America — Map (db m82278) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 52 — Mission Dam and Flume
After many attempts dated back to 1774 to provide a reliable source of water for crops and livestock for Mission San Diego de Alcala, a dam and flume system was finished between 1813 and 1816 by Indian laborers and Franciscan Missionaries to divert . . . — Map (db m51074) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 242 — Mission San Diego de Alcala
On Sunday, July 16, 1769 Fathers Junipero Serra, Juan Viscaino and Fernando Parron raised and blessed a cross to establish Alta, California’s 1st Mission. Relocated from Presidio Hill to this site in August 1774 the Mission was the mother of those . . . — Map (db m15262) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 711 — Montgomery Memorial
John J. Montgomery made mans first controlled winged flight from this hilltop in August 1883. He opened for all mankind the "great highway of the sky" — Map (db m51097) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 56 — Montijo Building 1881
This one-story building with 12-inch-thick walls was used as John Young's morgue from 1881 to 1885. John Young was the County Coroner, and claimed embalming to be his specialty. The basement vault was surrounded by ropes used to lower caskets into . . . — Map (db m109363) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Moreton Bay Fig
Moreton Bay Fig (Ficus Macrophylla native to Australia) In 1904 the House of Representative legislated protection of this tree. Requested by President Theodore Roosevelt after a visit of the area. This tree is now over 200 years old. — Map (db m70319) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 7 — Mormon Battalion
No. 7 Dedicated in commemoration the heroic sacrifice and history-making achievements of the Mormon Battalion "whose march over 2000 miles from Council Bluffs, Iowa to San Diego help to win California for the Union and open a . . . — Map (db m51992) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 452 — Mule Hill
On December 7, 1846, day following Battle of San Pasqual fought five miles east of here, General Stephen Kearny’s command while marching on San Diego was attacked by Californians. The Americans counter-attacked, occupied hill until December 11 when . . . — Map (db m40829) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — North Chapel, Building 208San Diego Naval Training Center — Liberty Station
Completed in 1942, The North Chapel Building featured leaded glass windows representing the 41 different training schools on site and one window representing the recruit. As the recruits at the Naval Training Center practiced many different . . . — Map (db m50742) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Old Ballast Point Lighthouse, San Diego
Established Aug. 1, 1890, Ballast Point Light Station was a fine example of “railroad Gothic” and lasted until 1866, when it was replaced by a light on top of a slender steel tower, and new quarters were built for the Coast Guard . . . — Map (db m84497) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Old Fire Station Number SixThe Firehouse Museum
From 1915 to 1970, San Diego Fire Department's Original Fire Station 6 proudly served the community of Little Italy. In the workshop on this site some of America's most significant fire service innovations were created by the specialty trade-skilled . . . — Map (db m109341) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 61 — Old La Playa
From 1770 to 1870, this was San Diego's port. Over the Brookline hide house, Americans unofficially raised a U.S. flag in 1829. At that time La Playa was a thriving trading and shipping village. Richard Henry Dana's account of the hide . . . — Map (db m51077) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 51 — Old Point Loma Lighthouse
This lighthouse built in 1854, was one of the first eight lighthouses on the Pacific Coast. It continued in use until 1891, when the new Pelican Point Lighthouse began operating. The Point Loma Lighthouse became the site of the Cabrillo National . . . — Map (db m36602) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 830 — Old Town San Diego
Settled by pensioned soldiers from the presidio and their families, Old Town grew into a cluster of adobe houses and garden plots in the early 1800s. By 1835, "it was composed of about 40 dark brown looking huts." The Stars and Stripes were first . . . — Map (db m51101) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Old Town San DiegoTimeline
See individual photos for textMap (db m85826) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Original Foundation Casa de Aguirrec. 1853
The stone pilings seen in this archaeological excavation unit are part of the original foundation of the Casa de Aguirre built circa 1853. The original adobe mansion extended ten feet to the east of where the current building ends. The 21st century . . . — Map (db m71058) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 4 — Pacifica Hotel, 1910
This building has been the home to several hotels beginning with the Midland in 1914. Later it was known as the New York, Seery, and finally Pacifica. In the 1930’s, it catered to San Diego’s military personnel. From 1917 to 1928, part of the . . . — Map (db m52426) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Point Loma
[Marker #1] In commemoration of the early aviation pioneers that flew American designed and manufactured sailplanes in San Diego. These aviators are remembered by those who flew after them and the citizens of San Diego. John C. Barstow . . . — Map (db m51788) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Post Chapel, Building 213Fort Rosecrans Historic District — Built in 1941
The Post chapel served Fort Rosecrans in World War II, the Korean War and continues to serve the U.S. Navy. — Map (db m81327) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 6 — Quin Building, 1930
In 1930, this Spanish Colonial Revival style structure was built in the heart of Chinatown for Thomas A. Quin. The top portion had two apartments, and the bottom floor was a combination storefront and storage space. Seven years after its . . . — Map (db m52687) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 87 — Quong Building, 1913
The Quong Building is not only an historical structure, it has also been the site of archeological digs. The building gets its name from Mow Yuen Quong, a business man who operated the structure from 1889 to 1928. The building has been listed in . . . — Map (db m52948) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 9 — Royal Pie Bakery 1884
Originally known as the San Diego Steam Cracker Factory, this brick structure has remained a bakery since its construction in 1884. During the first part of the 20th century, when the Gaslamp was deteriorating into a red-light district, the upper . . . — Map (db m109361) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 523 — San Diego Barracks1850 - 1921
An army supply depot for Southern California was established on this site in 1850. Designated New San Diego Post, it was garrisoned by troops from December 2, 1858 to May, 1866. Reoccupied December 1869. Name changed to San Diego Barracks April 5, . . . — Map (db m51094) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — San Diego Bay
One of the world’s finest natural harbors plays host above and below the surface Homeport to America’s Finest City One of the most beautiful and exemplary natural harbors in the world, San Diego Bay is steeped in rich maritime heritage . . . — Map (db m73905) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 59 — San Diego Presidio Site
Soldiers, sailors, Indians, and Franciscan missionaries from New Spain occupied the land at Presidio Hill on May 17, 1769 as a military outpost. Two months later, Fr. Junípero Serra established the first San Diego Mission on Presidio Hill. . . . — Map (db m11134) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 798 — San Diego State University
In 1960 the state legislature authorized the California State colleges to grant honorary doctoral degrees to individuals who have made unusual contributions toward learning and civilization. On June 6, 1963 San Diego State College was the first of . . . — Map (db m51099) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 67 — Serra Palm
Traditionally the earliest planted tree in California. Directly in the rear, beneath the brow of the hill, lie the dead of the sacred expedition of 1769. Burial place of our first unknown soldiers. — Map (db m11959) HM

234 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 34
Paid Advertisement