12 miles ← [west]. From this cinnabar hill the Indians used pigment for paint. Mercury was mined, 1845. Gold discovery made mercury indispensable and the mine became the most productive in America, became world famous. It sold for . . . — — Map (db m2640) HM
For generations the Ohlone Indians followed the path along the Alamitos Creek to find cinnabar in a cave in the nearby hills. They traded the mineral, used it in religious ceremonies and decorated their bodies. Elsewhere in the world, quicksilver, . . . — — Map (db m41479) HM
In March 1863 the Supreme Court adjudged that the original Castillero claim to the New Almaden Mine was fraudulent and invalid. President Abraham Lincoln, acting on this judgment, sent a writ to U.S. Marshall C.W. Rand in San Francisco.
“I, . . . — — Map (db m12916) HM
This splendid structure was built in 1880 by Adolf Pfister, a prominent San Jose businessman who served three times as the city’s major. The building was added to twice in later years. A fine example of 19th century commercial architecture, it has . . . — — Map (db m52635) HM
The original Ng Shing Gung, or Temple of Five Gods, was constructed in 1888 on Cleveland Avenue near Taylor Street in Heinlenville, and early San Jose Chinatown. Heinlenville consisted of a network of small streets within the block bordered by . . . — — Map (db m52164) HM
[This marker is composed of four panels, each located at one corner of the intersection of Jackson and North Fifth Streets in San Jose.][Panel 1, south corner]
1890s to 1920s
During the 1890s, Nikkei (Japanese in . . . — — Map (db m52450) HM
Acclaimed as “the prettiest and most attractive candy store on the Pacific Coast. O’Brien’s Candy Store was more than a business to San Joseans, it was an institution – the natural spot to stroll to after a show or the ideal place to . . . — — Map (db m52163) HM
Card playing was a social outlet. When I was young, my grandfather brought me here when he stopped to see his friends. The windows were soaped to prevent people from peering in. I was only allowed to sit on a stool and watch the card games. The game . . . — — Map (db m52514) HM
Pat lived in New Almaden for most of his life. He came to love it for its history and community spirit. He roamed the hills with his brothers as a kid, then hiked and trained in them as an athlete and a soldier.
Pat was a loved son, brother, . . . — — Map (db m41303) HM
Pellier Park is all that remains of the City Gardens Nursery, established by Louis Pellier in 1850. Here with, his brothers, Pierre and Jean, Louis introduced “la petite D’Agen,” the French Prune, during the winter of 1856-1857. I was . . . — — Map (db m52613) HM
[This markers in composed of three photographs with captions. Reading from left to right:]
San Jose City Gardens Nursery
People traveled far and wide to visit Louis Pellier’s City Gardens Nursery and purchase orchard and vineyard . . . — — Map (db m52614) HM
The Plaza de César E. E. Chávez is part of the original plaza of the 1797 Pueblo de San José and is the oldest continuously used public open space in the city. The plaza was the hub of the old Spanish settlement: the site of Juzgado and the . . . — — Map (db m30207) HM
[The Remembering Agriculture marker is composed of seven panels.][Panel 1]
Creation itself seemed to plan a garden where you now stand. This place came to be called “Valley of Heart’s Delight” because of its mild . . . — — Map (db m52670) HM
Robert Scott, a native of Canada, arrived in New Almaden in 1864. He was co-inventor of the Huttner & Scott Furnace in 1876, the furnace that revolutionized the reduction of quicksilver and saved the Quicksilver Mining Company from bankruptcy. This . . . — — Map (db m41331) HM
This historic adobe was built in 1836 by a native Californian, Roberto Balermino, on Rancho de los Coches. The property was officially granted to him by Governor Micheltorna in 1844. A larger one-story dwelling was built in 1847 by the new owner, . . . — — Map (db m52119) HM
“Following indigenous American Indian occupation, this land was part of Spain and then Mexico. Under Mexican rule it was known as Rancho Yerba Buena de Socayre, a land grant deeded to Antonio Chaboya in 1833. It was the site of the historic . . . — — Map (db m54663) HM
The Sainte Claire Club was organized in 1888 by a group of distinguished local citizens, including James Phelan, banker, U.S. Senator and former mayor of San Francisco. San Jose's oldest men's club has occupied this handsome structure since its . . . — — Map (db m30232) HM
The San José Academy was founded on this site in 1850, as Edward Bannister’s English and Classical School, and held it first graduation ceremony – the earliest in the state – in December, 1851. A private, non-sectarian preparatory school . . . — — Map (db m52638) HM
In 1902 a San Jose Buddhist Church was founded as a recognized branch of the San Francisco Buddhist Church. In 1906 property at 630 North 5th Street was purchased and services conducted by the first resident minister from Japan Reverend Honen . . . — — Map (db m26221) HM
San Jose’s Electric Light Tower was the inspiration of J.J. Owen, editor of the San Jose Mercury. On May 13, 1881, Owen printed an editorial suggesting that by providing one high and immense source of arc light, the night would become as day . . . — — Map (db m52140) HM
Founded in 1863 during the Presidency of Abraham Lincoln, SJHS is the oldeest high school in Santa Clara County and second oldest in California. Its first classes were held in a 2nd floor room of J.G. Orbon’s flour store, where Joseph Bowen, the . . . — — Map (db m68915) HM
The San Jose Mercury News was first published, on this site, on June 20, 1851. Known as the San Jose Weekly Visitor, it was the city’s fist permanent newspaper. The paper changed owners and mastheads several times before becoming the San Jose Weekly . . . — — Map (db m52657) HM
In December 1894, nine women met to form the San Jose Woman's Club . Supporting temperance and suffrage, the members also promoted education, community improvements and the arts. The club was opened to women of all creeds and nationalities. Today, . . . — — Map (db m108410) HM
Completed in 1867, this imposing building was constructed in the hope of attracting the State Legislature back to San José. It was designed by Levi Goodrich, a noted local architect. The original building was two-storied with a central dome. After . . . — — Map (db m30118) HM
[Side-bar on left:]
Mine workers began to sink the Santa Isabel Shaft in 1877 to relieve the burden on the nearby Randol Shaft, which could no longer handle the abundance of underground cinnabar ore. Five years later ore was delivered to . . . — — Map (db m52770) HM
Built as the Scottish Rite Temple in 1925-25, this distinguished structure was designed by architect Carl Werner. The entry portico, with its six Ionic columns and unusual Egyptian ornamentation, lends the buildings special grandeur. In 1981, the . . . — — Map (db m30285) HM
The shaker-concentrator, also known as a shaker table, was used in gravity beneficiation (the concentration of ore) for sorting fine-grained materials, such as heavy cinnabar, from ordinary rock and dust particles. The beneficiation process was . . . — — Map (db m49860) HM
Shivaji founded Pune (circa 1640). He was the first modern warrior who successfully fought the foreign invaders for 40 years and established a Maratha Kingdom that lasted 200 years with Pune as its Capital. — — Map (db m52492) HM
The Civilian Conservation Corps, established in 1933 by the Federal Government for nine years became one of the most constructive national service programs. CCC Companies: 1917-V, 1235, 3341, 3325, 739, 4500 occupied this camp between 1933 and 1939. . . . — — Map (db m52774) HM
Here, along Arroyo de los Alamitos Creek in 1824, Luís Cabolla and Antonio Suñol first worked New Almaden ore in an arrastra. In constant production since 1845, more than a million flasks of quicksilver valued at over 50 million dollars have been . . . — — Map (db m18692) HM
Site of World’s First
On this corner stood the Garden City Bank Building, where Charles D. Herrold established Station FN, the first radio broadcasting station in the world. As a pioneer in . . . — — Map (db m30327) HM
The skip loader was used to carry cinnabar ore to the surface from deep in the mines. A motor-driven hoist pulled the skip loader up tracks until it reached the surface, where two sets of tracks, one inside pair and one outside pair, were reached. . . . — — Map (db m52820) HM
Established in December, 1845, Spanishtown developed as Indians, Californios and immigrants from Peru, Argentina and Mexico built their homes on the hill above Deep Gulch. Cinnabar was first mined from a nearby cave known to local Indians. Later in . . . — — Map (db m50750) HM
St. James Park and its environs were the heart of nineteenth century San Jose. While the Plaza has been the center of the older Hispanic settlement, St. James Park and its surrounding buildings reflect the aspirations of an emerging American city. . . . — — Map (db m52561) HM
St. Joseph’s was the first church of the Pueblo de San José. The original adobe structure was built on the present site in 1803. It was replaced by a second adobe in 1845, which in turn was replaced by a wooden building in 1869. After this structure . . . — — Map (db m30209) HM
In 1891, Richard Quincey, a local wood and coal dealer, began building the first rail line to Alum Rock Park. Quincey began construction on May 11, 1891 at Santa Clara Street and McLauglin Avenue. By June 26, 1891, had reached White Road and has run . . . — — Map (db m63779) HM
Around 1890, Orvis Stevens built this fruit barn to store fruit. He was one of the first orchardists in Coyote Valley, located in South San José. Born in Vermont, Stevens came to California in 1852 to try his hand at mining before settling in the . . . — — Map (db m52139) HM
People also made a sumo wresting ring in the baseball grounds and had tournaments. Dr. James Dobashi was the strongest then. Nobody could even be compared with him.
Dr. Isamu Kawamura — — Map (db m52511) HM
Mr. Taketa built this hotel around 1915 to accommodate traveling businessmen and dignitaries to San Jose. There used to be a lot of people playing the game Go in the lobby.
Jimi Yamaichi, 2007 — — Map (db m52551) HM
There were several pool halls, but no gambling houses in Japantown. However a Japanese-operated print shop on Jackson Street which made cannery labels, printed lottery tickets for the Chinese. A gambling “runner” would come from . . . — — Map (db m52510) HM
We had everything in our store for the farmers. Dry goods. Work clothes. Japanese zori, tabi, pots and pans and dishes. We opened at seven in the morning and closed at ten at night everyday. Christmas day was one of the busiest days we had. New . . . — — Map (db m52496) HM
[Side-bar on left:]
of New Almaden’s
Just ahead lies the original site of mining activity in New Almaden’s rich history, where Ohlone Indians extracted cinnabar ore from a “red cave”. In . . . — — Map (db m52815) HM
This parcel, known as the Bernal Adobe Site, is part of the Rancho Santa Teresa Historic District of Santa Clara County. Ancestors of Mowekma Ohlone Indians used this area as a large permanent cemetery and village site as long ago as 3,000 years due . . . — — Map (db m52767) HM
The Buena Vista shaft commenced on July 5, 1882. It became the deepest sunk into the Quicksilver Mining Company’s lands, eventually reaching a depth of 2,300 feet, 600 below sea level.
Though not itself a significant source of ore, the Buena . . . — — Map (db m58943) HM
In Memory of
The Burning of San Jose Chinatown
May 4, 1887
On this site on May 4, 1887 a mysterious fire, deliberately set, destroyed San Jose's Chinatown. This was the largest Chinatown South of San Francisco. A community of bachelors and . . . — — Map (db m26215) HM
A late Victorian example of simplified Italianate architecture, the Chiechi House was built in approximately 1876 by John and Jane Campbell. In 1913 the house, at 820 Northrup Avenue, was purchased by Michele Chiechi. Prominent valley orchardists, . . . — — Map (db m52181) HM
Heavy rains fell during March of 1911 causing rail service from the Penitencia Creek Entrance to the Picnic Grounds to close. The rains continued swelling Penitencia Creek until it overflowed its banks. On March 7 an 8-foot wall of water from the . . . — — Map (db m63780) HM
Preserved at this location through the generosity of the Thomas R. Bettencourt Endowment Fund.
Born in Germany, Adolph Greeninger came to San José in 1865. Starting with practically no means at the age of 23, Mr. Greeninger worked tirelessly at . . . — — Map (db m52938) HM
Built by Barron, Forbes & Company in the late 1840’s, this cottage is one of several houses with a brick basement. Individuals who rented this house included William Flemming, John Marr, George Granger, and Thomas Barrett.
Theodore S. Shaw, a . . . — — Map (db m41334) HM
The Juan Bautista de Anza National HistoricTrail marks a 1,200 mile route that brought settlers to California from Tubac, in present-day Arizona, to what is now San Francisco.
The Spanish planned a system of Presidios, or military . . . — — Map (db m30147) HM
This area was once the site of one of Alum Rock Park’s most popular attractions, the Natatorium, a large indoor swimming pool. Built about 1912, it attracted over 35,000 swimmers each summer season. For about 20 cents, park visitors could swim in . . . — — Map (db m63790) HM
The Nelson-DeLuz House was constructed about 1905 at the southeast corner of William and 11th Streets. It is a typical middle class home of transitional architecture with neoclassic features. It bears a striking similarity to the published plans of . . . — — Map (db m52175) HM
This building, originally a residence, was built in 1884 in downtown San Jose at 91 North San Pedro Street near the corner of St. John Street. The neighborhood was an Italian American commercial district for one hundred years and the center of the . . . — — Map (db m52161) HM
Originally a residence, this building was constructed in the early 1880s and stood at 91 N. San Pedro Street near the corner of St. John Street. The popular Italianate style of architecture is seen in the top brackets and the decorative quoins at . . . — — Map (db m52160) HM
This cottage is the largest of the dwellings built by Barron, Forbes & Co. in the late 1840’s. It contained four fireplaces and a large wood-burning basement stove used by servants to prepare meals. It was purchased in 1863 by New Almaden . . . — — Map (db m41285) HM
The second Buddhist church building was situated where the Annex is now located. This building was established in 1908 as the “Independent Buddhist Church” when Reverend Hone Takahashi and certain church members seceded from the original . . . — — Map (db m65006) HM
In 1851 David Umbarger, a “forty-niner” from West Virginia, bought 136.5 acres in the Santa Clara Valley. Umbarger built this house on his homestead in the 1870s.
Like many ex-miners who remained in California, Umbarger started . . . — — Map (db m52178) HM
The Yellow Kid
Below and on the opposite hillside was the opening to the Yellow Kid Tunnel. Because of a yellow vein in the earth, the tunnel was named after a popular early American cartoon depicting an Irish immigrant boy wearing a yellow . . . — — Map (db m52780) HM
The Zanker House is a mid-19th Century example of an informal Victorian Italianate farmhouse. The house, built of California redwood, was originally located north of the Alviso-Milpitas Road on the west side of Zanker Road.
The outhouse is the . . . — — Map (db m52180) HM
This house was built by Thomas Fallon in 1854. A handsome, charismatic figure, Fallon was one of the early San José’s most prominent citizens: he captained the volunteer company that seized San José from the Mexicans, served in the California . . . — — Map (db m30692) HM
The first Japanese American surgeon in San Jose was Dr. Lee Watanabe. His office was above Tom and Mary’s Snack Shop. He was pretty short, but when he was standing on his box doing surgery, he was a giant.
Sue Inouye — — Map (db m52494) HM
Cast to commemorate the California State Normal School in 1881, this 3,000-pound bell was rung at 8 a.m. each morning until the earthquake stilled its voice in 1906. In 1910, the bell was re-installed in the maim building of the newly constructed . . . — — Map (db m52640) HM
This Carpenter Gothic church was constructed in 1863 and is the oldest church building in San José. John W. Hammond, a sea captain and a member of the parish, built the structure to his own design. A simple rectangle with a steeply hipped roof, it . . . — — Map (db m30292) HM
Constructed in 1892 this was the first federal building in San José. It served as U.S. post office from 1892 to 1933. Designed by Willoughby Edbrooke and constructed of locally quarried sandstone, this Romanesque style structure, built by the United . . . — — Map (db m3611) HM
A spring of carbonated water, locally known as Vichy, bubbled up here beside the Alamitos Creek. When the distant Buena Vista Shaft penetrated the 2100 foot level in 1882, the spring ceased flowing. San Francisco banker F.L.A. Pioche and others . . . — — Map (db m41277) HM
W.W. Cozzens purchased 13.5 acres of land and built a house on this site between 1873 and 1875.
He was a pioneer of Santa Clara Valley who introduced a revolutionary process of drying prunes and apricots, that would eventually be shipped all over . . . — — Map (db m128446) HM
Alum Rock Park was acquired in stages over many years. The original claim is based on the first land grant by Governor Filipe de Neve, July 22, 1778. Alum Rock Park has survived many challenges to that original grant and on March 13, 1872 the . . . — — Map (db m63788) HM
Wesley United Methodist Church was chartered August, 13, 1895 by the evangelical spirit and vision of pioneer Issei Christians and the struggles and hopes of immigrant families who had come to farm rich soil of the Santa Clara Valley.
With a . . . — — Map (db m52222) HM
The Kensington Post Office operated as the post office and general store located at the corner of Minnesota and Cherry Avenues beginning operations in 1894. After January 1895, this Post Office was called Willowglen (all one . . . — — Map (db m100099) HM
The first Willow Glen School was built at Malone Road and Lincoln Avenue on land donated during the Civil War by a local farmer, Royal Cottle (near Roycott Avenue). In 1897, with Willow Glen growing in population, a new school, superseding its . . . — — Map (db m100101) HM
Built by Sarah Winchester, widow of rifle manufacturer William Winchester, this unique structure includes many outstanding elements of Victorian architecture and fine craftsmanship. Construction began in 1884 and continued without interruption until . . . — — Map (db m2582) HM
The Winchester Mystery House was the home of Sarah Winchester, heiress to [the] Winchester Rifle fortune, from 1884 until her death in 1922.
Mrs. Winchester was convinced by an occultist that the lives of her husband and daughter had been taken . . . — — Map (db m54664) HM
One hundred years have passed since Sarah L. Winchester first arrived in the Santa Clara Valley with nearly $20,000,000 and began quietly adding rooms to a small country farm house, then three miles west of San Jose. Ten years have passed since the . . . — — Map (db m54666) HM
Dad would teach us things, but we were not interested in the restaurant. We saw how hard he worked. He started working at ten in the morning and wouldn’t stop until two the next morning. Every day. Seven days a week.
Dr. James Chan, 2006 — — Map (db m52495) HM
[Side-bar on left:]
Wood Road and Jacques Ridge
Built in April 1876 by the Quicksilver Mining Company, Wood Road originally served to connect nearby oak woodlands to the mining operations where voracious wood-fueled furnaces processed . . . — — Map (db m52816) HM
Occupying the entire south side of Taylor Street between 5th and 6th was a truck transfer company owned by Mr. K. Yasunage. Farmers had to sell their produce in San Francisco and Oakland markets and needed someone to transport the produce. Most . . . — — Map (db m52493) HM
Mount Umunhum holds great spiritual value of local tribal bands such as the Amah Mutsen and Muwekma. This mountain is where visions are sought and communion with the spiritual world is made. It is also where relationships with ancestors and future . . . — — Map (db m114620) HM
Built in 1854 of adobe, brick and wood. Residence of mine's manager until 1925. Most gracious and stately California mansion of the early days. Scene of important social & political events, planned by Henry W. Halleck & built by J. Young & F. Meyer. . . . — — Map (db m114955) HM
Mount Umunhum is a sacred site for today's Amah Mustun and Muwekma tribal bands, who are the living descendants of the ancestral Ohlone tribes native to the region. Along with the eagle, hawk, and raven, the hummingbird plays an important role in . . . — — Map (db m114626) HM
On the east bank of Los Alamitos Creek, with graves dating back to the 1800s, lies the final resting place for Quicksilver Miners and their families. A wooden marker notes the burial site of Richard Bertram Barrett's arm, lost in a hunting accident . . . — — Map (db m114985) HM
Built after the tragic 1875 fire destroyed the original 1848 Adobe Hotel. First two-story hotel in California. Used by the Almaden Quicksilver Mining Co. for unmarried employees & to house visitors to mining settlement. Remodeled into the Café Del . . . — — Map (db m114981) HM
At the corner of Alameda Road at Bertram, sat the first Hacienda Schoolhouse built in the 1850s by mine owner Barron Forbes Co. to educate miners' and neighboring ranchers' children. About 85 students attended grades 1-8. In 1914, a second adjacent . . . — — Map (db m114956) HM
Built in 1886 by Giles McDougal as social meeting place for miners & families. Included game room, kitchen, library & dance hall with stage patterned after San Francisco's Tivoli Theater. Upstairs rooms use for Hacienda visitors; in summer, arts & . . . — — Map (db m114982) HM
Recreation at Home
Remains of a swimming pool are a visual reminder of a thriving community of military families that lived at the Almaden Air Force Station between 1957 and 1980. Hundreds of people live in military housing near this . . . — — Map (db m114660) HM
Red Rock Riches
Cinnabar was highly valued as used for pigment by the Ohlone people who lived around Mount Umunhum. It contained mercury, also known as "quicksilver," which was essential for processing gold during California's Gold . . . — — Map (db m114618) HM
New Almaden, first mining town in California, founded 1845. Community Club House built in 1950s on land and with materials donated by the community, under directions of Nathaniel Gross. The Club is a non-profit organization dedicated to the . . . — — Map (db m114983) HM
Built in 1899, Mrs. Guadalupe Madero was concerned over the safety of her son, Antonio, away at the Spanish-American War. As a favor upon his safe return, she helped direct community funds & labor to construct Saint Anthony Church. — — Map (db m114984) HM
In the late 1950s, the United States government procured Mount Umunhum to build the Almaden Air Force Station. an early warning radar facility that operated from 1957 to 1980. The station was constructed as part of a west coast network that scanned . . . — — Map (db m114625) HM
Established in 1846, the Scott Furnace introduced here in 1874 revolutionized the quicksilver industry. Mine office located in 1850 in existing adobe building. Telephone installed 1878. Electric lights in 1890. — — Map (db m114957) HM
In 1874, a fire swept through the New Almaden community destroying many miner's homes. To prevent the recurrence of such a disaster, mine manager James Randol organized a local bucket brigade and ordered the construction of a bell tower and a system . . . — — Map (db m114662) HM
This two-tube inclined retort, known as a "Rossi Retort," was named for Louis Rossi who came to New Almaden in the 1920s and built a reduction plant based on his patented design. This style of retort allowed rapid recovery of valuable mercury from . . . — — Map (db m114954) HM
Martin Murphy, A native of Ireland, and
his large family came to California in
1844 and settled on the San Francisco de
Las Llagas Grant, which was patented
to Daniel Murphy, one of his sons. As a
devout Roman Catholic, Martin . . . — — Map (db m18479) HM
Born in San Francisco, James Donovan came to Santa Clara following the 1906 earthquake at the age of nine and resided in this house the rest of his life. Orphaned young, he started hauling baggage from the railroad depot using a few dogs pulling a . . . — — Map (db m53041) HM
One of the largest tanneries in the world, the Eberhard Tannery was part of Santa Clara’s economic life for over 100 years. Originally called the Santa Clara Tannery, in 1867 it was purchased by John J. Eberhard from his Father-In-Law. By 1904 the . . . — — Map (db m24255) HM
Here, on January 8, 1847, Francisco Sanchez, leader of a California band surrendered himself and some American prisoners and arms to Lieut. Grayson thus ending the “Battle of Santa Clara” or the “Battle of the Mustard Stalks” . . . — — Map (db m2627) HM
Arts, civic, cultural, historical and indigenous groups benefited from the personal service of this sixth-generation Californian.
The life of this descendent of Santa Clara’s first physician, H.H. Warburton, and the Spanish colonist Alviso, . . . — — Map (db m52935) HM
On January 2, 1847, somewhere hereabouts was fought the last northern battle of the Mexican War. The official casualty report: “Dead none, Wounded none, Missing but one on the American side and he came up shortly afterwards stating that he had . . . — — Map (db m24337) HM
This plaque marks the original site of the first chartered college in California. It was chartered as the California Wesleyan College on July 10, 1851. The following year the name was changed to University of the Pacific and in 1911 it became the . . . — — Map (db m61492) HM
Here lies Captain Harry Love, who with a troop of twenty others, on July 25, 1853 allegedly killed bandits Joaquin Murrieta and Three Fingered Jack near Arroyo de Cantua, Fresno County, California.
Born in Vermont, Love first visited Alta . . . — — Map (db m24122) HM
Judge Hiram Graham Bond owned the ranch 1895-1909.
Purchased by U.S. Senator James d. Phelan in 1913.
The monastery chapel and residence buildings were
constructed in 1917 as a permanent monastery for the community of Cloistered Discalced . . . — — Map (db m52907) HM
“The house that seeds built” was constructed in 1892 by Charles Copeland Morse, co-founder of one of the largest vegetable and flower seed companies in the world, the Ferry-Morse Seed Company. This outstanding Queen Anne residence is the . . . — — Map (db m52857) HM
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain led and expedition near this site – The mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area.
In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris Birkland . . . — — Map (db m24727) HM
This Gothic Revival structure was built in 1904 by the Advent Christian Church. The style is characterized by a steeply pitched roof, decorated barge broad along the roof edge and pointed arch windows.
The Advent Christian Congregation was . . . — — Map (db m52866) HM
Built & occupied in 1891 by Zibeon O. Field, a carpenter from Maine.
A particularly fine example of architectural style this fancy wedding cake Victorian has a decorative carved pediment and bargeboard, shingle facing, carved balustrade and . . . — — Map (db m52859) HM
Built in 1905 by Frederick C. Franck, Jr. (1873-1954). Santa Clara town trustee, businessman and son of Senator F.C. Franck. The Franck family owned this entire block. Maude Shuld Franck (1878-1960) his wife lived her until her death.
The house . . . — — Map (db m52856) HM
This Italianate style house was built in the 1870’s by the Henry Harris family. Harris was a California pioneer from England whose son, Albert, became a town trustee and director of the Santa Clara Valley Bank.
In 1906, Christian Lass, a . . . — — Map (db m52931) HM
Arriving in Santa Clara in 1852, Dr. B.F. Headen bought 61 acres around the present Civic Center area. His daughter, Thomasine, and her husband Louis Albertson, built this home in 1913 to replace the original one. Lois Headen Inman inherited the . . . — — Map (db m52936) HM
American Colonial style adapted to California. Built in 1868 by Cary Peebles; purchased in 1882 by F. Greenleaf Houlton of Houlton, Maine, father of Mrs. Franklin Hichborn. Franklin Hichborn was a journalist and political writer of national fame . . . — — Map (db m52860) HM
The Jamison-Brown House is significant due to its architectural and historical associations with two well known Santa Clara families. The architecture is important since it shows the changes in a building that was originally constructed in the 1860s . . . — — Map (db m52934) HM
This unique Greek Revival Pioneer style farmhouse was built around 1860 by John and Teresita Fatjo. The square turret and ornate veranda are later Vicorian additions.
The Fatjo family were prominent merchants in Santa Clara. John’s father Antonio . . . — — Map (db m52906) HM
Built in 1892-93 by Isabella and James Kersell, who was originally in the plumbing and tinning business and later a manager for C.C. Morse and Company. Owners between 1900 and 1942 included Anne. B. Smith, Hilda Beattie and William and Mathilda . . . — — Map (db m52862) HM
This significant late Queen Anne style Victorian was built in 1889 and restored in 1986. It features fish scale shingles with gable pediments, molded cornices, recessed eaves, and carved brackets. Owned by William Andres in 1889, subsequent owners . . . — — Map (db m52933) HM
Two story classic Georgian Colonial Revival rests on solid redwood foundation. Built before 1870 by Luis Arguello, son of first governor of California under Mexican Rule.
1901 residence and office of Dr. George H. Worrall, DDS., long time . . . — — Map (db m52899) HM
This site is what remains of the original Mission Santa Clara corral, which once covered about 6 acres and was enclosed by an adobe wall.
In 1847, marking the transition from Spanish/Mexican mission to American town, William Campbell mapped the . . . — — Map (db m52900) HM
Santa Clara, the first california mission to honor a woman, Clare of Assisi, as its patron saint, was founded nearby on the Guadalupe River on January 12, 1777. It once had the largest Indian population of any California mission. Floods and . . . — — Map (db m81869) HM
Built 1895 - 1897 by real estate magnate John Center for his niece, Margaret Center Morgan.
A Victorian style house with a gable on hip main roof, pedimented bay pavilion, twin doghouse dormers and horizontal siding, built of wood shipped . . . — — Map (db m52904) HM
Victorian style house built in 1892 for Charles Copeland Morse, a house painter and co-founder of Ferry-Morse Seed Company, who occupied it a short time before moving to San Juan Bautista. — — Map (db m52858) HM
[There is no inscription on this maker other than the title. The marker consists of three panels of photographs with captions.][Panel 1:]
Photo 1 - Upper Left:
Franklin and Main Streets formed the business hub of early . . . — — Map (db m52865) HM
1845 – 1995
In recognition of the efforts of the citizens of the City of Santa Clara and the members of the Santa Clara Council #84.
This event started with the Drum & Bugle Corps of Y.M.I. in 1945, and expanded to feature . . . — — Map (db m64940) HM
[Side 1 of Obelisk:]
Rev. Isaac Owen
Church in California
Born in Vermont
March 9, 1809
Died in San Francisco
Feb. 9, 1866
[Side 2 of Obelisk:]
Elizabeth . . . — — Map (db m24267) HM
This Queen Anne house with characteristic corner tower was built around 1895 by Robert Menzel (1847-1923). A Prussian immigrant, he founded Menzel Hardware Company in 1875.
Menzel served on the Santa Clara Board of Education, Library Trustees . . . — — Map (db m52863) HM
Believed built in 1881-2 by pioneer Calvin Russell, a carpenter, who came to Santa Clara in 1852.
In 1891 bought by John G. Robinson, who was one of the first druggists in Santa Clara and chairman and member of the Board of Library Trustees for 30 . . . — — Map (db m52903) HM
The Portuguese men and women of Santa Clara founded this building, commonly known as the S.E.S. Hall, in 1896. This fraternal organization was created as a means of communication and socialization. It gave the Portuguese community a place to meet, . . . — — Map (db m54026) HM
After armed confrontation nearby on January 2, 1847, and a truce meeting the following day, Marine Capt. Ward Marston, commander of the United States expeditionary force, and Francisco Sánchez, leader of the Mexican-Californian ranchers, agreed to a . . . — — Map (db m57844) HM
Members of Mountain Charlie, Chapter No. 1850, E. Clampus Vitus, commend the South Bay Historical Railroad Society for their volunteer efforts in restoring the Santa Clara Depot.
Constructed in 1863 for the San Francisco and San Jose Railroad, it . . . — — Map (db m24284) HM
The Santa Clara Depot, built in 1864, was an original waystation on the San Francisco & San Jose Railroad Line. Originally built on the east side of the tracks, the depot was moved in 1877 to its present location so it would be on the same side of . . . — — Map (db m24288) HM
Founded in 1777, the Santa Clara Mission was moved here after flooding of the first two churches. Construction was begun in 1781 under Jose Murguia and the Mission was dedicated by Junipero Serra in 1784.
The adobe structure was damaged by an . . . — — Map (db m24313) HM
The Santa Clara Tower, built by the Southern Pacific Railroad went into service in 1927. Located at the junction of the Coast and Western Divisions, the tower controlled signals and switches at the north end of the Newhall yard. Historic passenger . . . — — Map (db m68912) HM
This adobe, among the oldest in Santa Clara Valley, was one of several continuous rows of homes built in 1792–1800 as dwellings for the indian families of Mission Santa Clara. It links the Franciscan padres’ labors with California of today. — — Map (db m2399) HM
First home of State Senator Frederich Christian Franck, 1826-1902. Came from Baveria in 1855. He was a civic leader & town trustee for eight consecutive years; member of the volunteer fire department from 1856, and elected Chief Engineer 1875-1881. . . . — — Map (db m52905) HM
The Battle of Santa Clara was the only campaign fought in the Northern district of California between Californios and United States forces during the Mexican-American war. In the 1840’s an oak forest grew near the present Lawrence Expressway, . . . — — Map (db m81727) HM
The Berryessa Adobe was built at a crossroad in California history. When constructed in the 1840s, Spanish colonial building traditions were blending with American influences. The builders constructed adobe walls on stone foundations and used soil . . . — — Map (db m52932) HM
Built in 1928 and used around the clock until July 17, 1993 the Santa Clara Interlocking Control Tower is one of two Harriman Standard No. 4 towers in California.
The General Railway Signal Co. Model 2 unit, lever type interlocking machine on the . . . — — Map (db m68914) HM
This is the site of the former Santa Clara Walnut Growers Association. The main plant was constructed here in late 1926/1927 on land purchased from the Town of Santa Clara. Hard shell walnuts in the state of California can be dated as early as 1854. . . . — — Map (db m54027) HM
Established November 13, 1893
Garrad Farms was founded by David Garrod with the purchase of sixty-five acres. For over seventy years the family run farm was active in fruit production. In the following years the farm has been devoted to equestrian . . . — — Map (db m41493) HM
This charming pioneer cottage was built around 1895 for the family of retired farmer David Grover. After David’s death in 1906 at the age of 90, his widow Nancy and their son Henry continued to live in the house. Mrs. Grover was noted for her church . . . — — Map (db m68938) HM
Madronia Cemetery is Saratoga’s oldest institution. The first burials occurred on this site in 1854. Other burials followed over the next several years prior to its dedication as a cemetery.
This land was originally part of the Quito Land . . . — — Map (db m41447) HM
These two buildings appear to be connected, but they were actually built by different owners more than a decade apart.
The building on the right was a general store built circa 1884 by John Hutchinson, who became Saratoga’s postmaster in 1886. . . . — — Map (db m41340) HM
In 1856 John C. Hutchinson purchased 160 acres of land about one mile south of the Village. There was a limestone quarry on this land and lime was being produced from its lime kiln. In 1884 Mr. Hutchinson built this two story building with the first . . . — — Map (db m41509) HM
This pioneer Western Falsefront store was built in 1890 by Daniel McCarthy, son of Village founders Hannah and Martin McCarty. It was locally known as the Green Store Building because for many years it was painted green.
This style of building . . . — — Map (db m41510) HM
From the winery that bears the name of Paul Masson, premium wines and champagne have flowed continuously since 1852, even during Prohibition under a special government license. Twice partially destroyed by earthquake and fire, the original sandstone . . . — — Map (db m2625) HM
Anza exploring party passed through the Saratoga area March 25, 1776. Lumbering in the mountains, which began 1847 and continued many years, brought the first settlers 1850. Among other industries established were lime quarry 1850s, grist mill . . . — — Map (db m2624) HM
This Classic Revival brick building was Saratoga’s first bank. It was designed by the architectural firm of Wolfe & McKenzie around 1912. Bank founders include Dr. Hogg, a local investor; Charles Blaney, who established Blaney Plaza at the Village . . . — — Map (db m68937) HM
I have loved these awesome doors since that winter day in 1949 when I first stood below them outside the Rodin Museum in Philadelphia and was terrified at the prospect of writing my dissertation on the Gates of Hell. In one way or another, I have . . . — — Map (db m48162) HM
On April 23, 1964 and April 14, 1967, The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. addressed the Stanford community and local citizens in this Auditorium.
“It may well be that we will have to repeat in this generation, not merely for the . . . — — Map (db m115849) HM
In commemoration of the motion picture research conducted in 1878 and 1879 by Eadweard Muybridge, at the Palo Alto Stock Farm, now the site of Stanford University. This extensive photographic experiment portraying the attitudes of animals in motion . . . — — Map (db m2716) HM
This 1919 residence of a developing international style of architecture embodies Mrs. Herbert Hoover’s innovative architectural concepts. It was executed by architects A. B. Clark, Charles Davis, and Birge Clark, and was maintained as the Hoover . . . — — Map (db m2717) HM
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain led an expedition to this site – The mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area.
In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris . . . — — Map (db m30323) HM
The Del Monte Building was constructed by the Madison and Bonner Company in 1904 adjacent to the Southern Pacific Railroad on the northwest corner of Sunnyvale and Evelyn Avenues. For the first 26 years dried fruit from local orchards was processed . . . — — Map (db m132515) HM
This building was erected in October of 1897 as F.E. Cornell’s Country Emporium, the first commercial building in town. In December 1897, a corner of the store was set aside as a post office and officially designated “Encinal”. Since . . . — — Map (db m54024) HM
Hendy Stamp Mill
During the California Gold Rush, Hendy Iron Works built mining and stamp mill machinery exclusively. They supplied mining operations around the world with 5-stamp mills that could operate as a single unit or as multiple units . . . — — Map (db m30251) HM
Martin Murphy, Jr. arrived in California with his family in 1844 in the first wagon train to cross the Sierra Nevada. The founder of Sunnyvale, he constructed here his house of pre-fabricated lumber brought around the Horn in 1849. Members of the . . . — — Map (db m30171) HM
368 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 368 were listed. Previous 200