One hundred years ago, in the skies above this
monument, three soaring flights were made on
March 16th, 17th, and 20th, by an aeroplane-
glider flown by Aeronaut and parachute dare-
devil, Daniel John Maloney, which had been
designed and . . . — — Map (db m100963) HM
This establishment sits on a portion of the Mexican Grant Rancho de Aptos conveyed to Rafael Castro by Jose Figueroa in 1833. The hotel was built in 1870 by Jose Arano, a french basque who had married Castro's youngest daughter Maria de Las . . . — — Map (db m25571) HM
Though hopelessly broken and firmly at rest, the cement ship Palo Alto has become an important legacy whose value has not decreased today. As the colorful chapters of her past resonate through her hull she is protected as a historic resource, a . . . — — Map (db m49852) HM
A group of conservationists led by Andrew P. Hill camped at the base of Slippery Rock on May 15, 1900 and formed the Sempervirens Club to preserve the redwoods of Big Basin. Their efforts resulted in deeding 3,500 acres of primeval forest to the . . . — — Map (db m2350) HM
The building stands in the original town of Lorenzo, laid out by sawmill owner Joseph Peery, who included a “no whiskey” clause in each lot’s deed. In 1885 Boulder Creek was chosen for the terminus of the railroad from Felton, and after . . . — — Map (db m62531) HM
Locally known as "The Swamp House," from 1892 to 1920, this brothel occupied what is now the empty lot behind the Odd Fellow Hall. The high water table created a murky slough in front of this den of intiquity, and to approach the house, patrons had . . . — — Map (db m104985) HM
California’s first seaside resort community was established here in 1869 by Mr. F. A. Hihn. The grand opening was held on July 4, 1874, for the 15 acre resort, located in the present Village and Depot Hill areas. The Superintendent’s Office, built . . . — — Map (db m2351) HM
The riches of river and sea have attracted people to this area for hundreds of years. The Soquel Ohlone Indians once hunted and gathered in nearby valleys and along the shore, Later Chinese and Italian fishermen harvested the bay’s fish and . . . — — Map (db m63623) HM
During the 1870's and 1880's, a small village constructed of scrap lumber and driftwood was erected at the base of these cliffs. Known as China Beach, or China Cove, it was established by Chinese fishermen who set their nets by boat and then hauled . . . — — Map (db m19881) HM
The third hydroelectric power plant in California, built by Fred Swanton, local promoter and founder of the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, began operations on this site March of 1896.
In the plant's final configuration, water from Big Creek, Boyer Creek . . . — — Map (db m100965) HM
Built in 1914, the entire structure is made of Santa Cruz Portland Cement from the nearby Davenport Cement Plant. During its history, the two-cell jail saw little use in this peaceful community.
It once held two boys from San Mateo while they . . . — — Map (db m100921) HM
Near this spot, October 20-23, 1769
Don Gaspar de Portolá
And his land expedition, seeking Monterey Bay, camped for three days to rest those sick. Because of their rapid recovery, Father Crespi named the valley
Cañada de la Salud
On . . . — — Map (db m62418) HM
The Ocean Shore Railway was Incorporated in May of 1905 to build a “road" along the coast from San Francisco to Santa Cruz via Half Moon Bay under the leadership of A.D. Bowen, J.D. Harvey, J.A. Folger, P.D. Martin, and others.
A 26 mile . . . — — Map (db m62417) HM
Most of the Indian activity of the Central California Ohlone Tribe took place in the canyon or valley to the north, Waddell Creek. which runs east and west and has a greater beach area. Some evidence such as shell piles and . . . — — Map (db m106636) HM
In 1998, the Swanton Pacific Railroad was blessed by Mother Nature. The high water floods caused by the El Niño weather phenomenon washed away about 200 feet of creek bank along Scotts Creek. The SPRR main line runs about one mile along the normally . . . — — Map (db m106639) HM
Built in 1892-93 and believed to be the tallest covered bridge in the country, it stood as the only entry to Felton for 45 years. In 1937 it was retired from active service to become a pedestrian bridge and figured prominently in many films of that . . . — — Map (db m2348) HM
A hundred years ago, the intense heat from the kiln fires would have kept you at a distance. Shouts and curses in Portuguese and Italian would fill the air as men labored to quarry stone, work the kilns, and haul in hundreds of loads of firewood. . . . — — Map (db m58968) HM
The Cremer Hotel was completed in 1876 to house, feed & entertain the laborers who massed to the San Lorenzo Valley when Redwood logging began in the late 19th century. Gambling, loose women and liquor flowed freely within its redwood-framed walls, . . . — — Map (db m100903) HM
A tiny village where violence, hangings, drinking, and bull and bear fights were part of daily life. Located on the old Santa Cruz Road, which crossed a portion of the San Andreas and Corralitos ranchos. As the town became . . . — — Map (db m54862) HM
In 1852, Lynman J. Burrell settled an area along the Santa Cruz Mountains and eventually establish Burrell Village. Burrell School is the last remaining structure of Burrell Village. Established in 1879, it served Santa Clara and Santa Cruz County . . . — — Map (db m110267) HM
In honor of the all Black
Coast Artillery Army
Regiment that aided in
protecting the California
coast from enemy attack
during World War II
These members remained in
Santa Cruz after the war:
John Bowen . . . — — Map (db m98046) WM
What began in the “Summer of Love” as a teenage crush has grown into a successful family, spanning two generations. Kathy and Marshall Miller met as teenagers when they both worked at the Boardwalk in the 1960s. They began their first . . . — — Map (db m62795) HM
American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) recognizes Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk's Giant Dipper as an ACE Roller Coaster Landmark, a designation reserved for rides of historic significance.
The 75-foot high wood coaster officially opened on May . . . — — Map (db m62826) HM
Founder Publisher and Editor
Santa Cruz Surf
Brilliant in mind, just in judgment, valiant in spirit, for forty years leader in initiative thought and action for the public welfare.
He rests here in the place of his choice under the shadows . . . — — Map (db m62436) HM
The first Miss California Pageant took place at the Boardwalk in 1924, drawing huge crowds. The pageant moved to the Civic Auditorium in 1966. Santa Cruz enjoyed the economic benefits of this popular event until 1985.
Faye Lanpheir, Miss . . . — — Map (db m62812) HM
The Santa Cruz Beach was changed forever in 1904 when promoter and entrepreneur Fred Swanton hosted the grand opening of the Neptune Casino, a Moorish-style wonder and wedding cake of a building. The Casino was destroyed by fire in June of 1906. . . . — — Map (db m62796) HM
The timeless and picturesque Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk has “starred” in everything from industrial films, commercials, and music videos to made-for-TV movies and feature-length big-screen releases. — — Map (db m62825) HM
These school grounds were the center of Villa de Branciforte founded in 1797 by Governor Diego de Borica of California on orders from Spain through Viceroy Branciforte in Mexico. The settlement existed as political entity until American occupancy of . . . — — Map (db m2347) HM
This is the location of one of the last known bull and bear rings in California, where the animals were placed in a wooden stockade and local settlers would bet on the outcome of their fight.
Bull and Bear fights were brought to Santa Cruz by . . . — — Map (db m100961) HM
The restaurant now called Surf City Grill has been known by other names and owned by several families over the years. In spite of these changes, it remains a favorite for satisfying the appetites of visitors, ravenous after a day at the Boardwalk. — — Map (db m62815) HM
James Williams, age 29 and a native of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, emigrated overland to California in 1843 along with his three brothers – John, age 25; Isaac, age 20; and Squire, age 19 – in a . . . — — Map (db m62440) HM
At the turn of the century, lounging couples covered the beach much as they do today. But the women were fully dressed, and men wore hats and coats. Laws prohibited sitting on the beach in bathing attire.
Today, from bikinis to tankinis, women’s . . . — — Map (db m62816) HM
The Fitzsimmons & Twisselman families have been operating their concessions at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk since 1934. Over the years, Charles J. Fitzsimmons moved from games to retail food. Today, Charles’s grandson, Matt Twisselman, continues . . . — — Map (db m62829) HM
An intellectual, humanitarian and suffragist, Georgiana raised her family in this house from 1854 until her death in 1887. Born in England and educated in the East by America’s leading thinkers and writers. She brought to California an intellectual . . . — — Map (db m62441) HM
The Giant Dipper roller coaster, with its trademark red and white structure, spectacular view of the Monterey Bay, and speedy dips and curves, keeps generations of riders coming back for more.
The Giant Dipper has thrilled over 50 million . . . — — Map (db m62827) HM
Grove C. Cook, a native of Kentucky, came to California in 1841 as a member of the Bidwell-Bartleson Party, the first overland emigrant wagon train to set out from the United States to cross the continent to the Pacific Slope.
The party was forced . . . — — Map (db m62419) HM
Isaac Graham: Born Sept. 1, 1800 in Fincastle, Virginia, was a rough and tumble trapper and mountain man, who wandered the western wilderness. He ended up in 1836 Natividad, California where he ran a Saloon and Whiskey Still.
He organized Los . . . — — Map (db m62438) HM
Here lie the remains of Marie Holmes, a lady of the night, who on the evening of May 5, 1898, met a lonely and untimely end with the quaffing of carbolic acid. Born in England, she resided in San Francisco, Salinas and Watsonville before spending . . . — — Map (db m52359) HM
Born a slave May 5, 1800 on a North Carolina plantation, Louden (London) Nelson worked the cotton fields until his master, Matthew Nelson brought him to the 1849 California Gold Rush. After securing his freedom, he arrived in Santa Cruz in 1856. . . . — — Map (db m62439) HM
Whether you call it a merry-go-round, carousel, or whirlgig, visitors have always been enchanted with the Boardwalk’s oldest ride. At the grand opening of the “hippodrome,” as the carousel and its building were called, one hundred . . . — — Map (db m62814) HM
A Brief History
In the mid-1800’s, the Pacific Garden Mall was simply known as “Pacific.” The corner now occupied by the Old Theatre Building contained a picturesque little pond shaded by a mammoth sycamore. Also under the tree was . . . — — Map (db m63268) HM
For 145 years, Santa Cruz was a leading source of tanned hides, first in California and later throughout the world. After the Gold Rush, people were clamoring for leather goods – boots, harnesses, and machinery belts for farming and mining . . . — — Map (db m62767) HM
A local landmark since 1907, this boardwalk was one of the first amusement parks in California. It is now the only oceanside amusement park operating on the west coast. The boardwalk is the site of two rare attractions, the 1911 carousel and the . . . — — Map (db m78813) HM
These boards are part of the original Santa Cruz Boardwalk and were saved during a restoration project completed in 1984.
This project was one of many completed under Laurence P. Canfield, President of the Santa Cruz Seaside Company from 1952 to . . . — — Map (db m62813) HM
Civic Renaissance Center
The Great Fire of 1894 left 3 blocks of destruction around the 1866 Cooper St. Civic Center. The Civic reconstruction promoted Renaissance designs to show “Culture” had arrived in Santa Cruz, and surrounding . . . — — Map (db m62482) HM
(There are two markers, front and back, on this memorial.)
Dedicated to those from
Santa Cruz County
who served their country in
the World War, and to the
memory of these who "gave the
last full measure of devotion" . . . — — Map (db m62527) WM
Misión La Exaltación de la Santa Cruz, the 12th Franciscan mission, was consecrated by Father Fermín Lasuen in August 1791. In 1793 the adobe church was built where the Holy Cross Catholic Church is now located. The mission was damaged by several . . . — — Map (db m2344) HM
During the summer of 1885, three young Hawaiian princes rode the waves at the mouth of the San Lorenzo River on Redwood planks the ordered cut in the shape of olo surfboards by the local timber mill.
H.M. Queen Kapi’olani’s nephews: . . . — — Map (db m71541) HM
The only remaining structure of the Villa de Branciforte established in 1797. The last and least prosperous of threee Spanish settlements in Alta California. Populated by paroled petty criminals from Guadalajaran juzgados and pensioned soldiers. The . . . — — Map (db m100905) HM
”One-eye Charley Parkhurst,” working as a driver for stage lines came to California seeking fortune in the gold fields until around 1860. Charley was small, slim and wiry. When he spoke it was in an oddly high-pitched voice. Charley died . . . — — Map (db m62585) HM
Early in the Casino’s history a concert band played on the beach bandstand on summer afternoons and changed into tuxedos for evening dances in the ballroom.
In 1924 Isham Jone’s band brought jazz to the Cocoanut Grove.
1932 introduced . . . — — Map (db m62791) HM
The medico-dental building, erected by Frederick A. Hihn in 1894, stood on this site until it was destroyed by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.
This building was constructed by Gloria Hihn Welsh in 1994.
Darrow Palmer . . . — — Map (db m62488) HM
Less than a year after fire destroyed the original Casino and Plunge, construction began on new buildings to include an indoor natatorium. The original ceiling arches can be seen today. The main pool measured 144 feet by 64 feet and featured a . . . — — Map (db m62792) HM
Towards the end of the 19th Century Fred W. Swanton, considered one of the greatest promoters and entrepreneurs of his time, laid plans for a casino and boardwalk - a "Coney Island of the West." The casino opened in 1904 but survived only 22 months; . . . — — Map (db m100908) HM
When the “new” Casino was built in 1907, the Boardwalk was owned by the Santa Cruz Beach Company. Local businesses experienced an economic downturn from 1912-1914, and the Beach Company went bankrupt. In 1915 the Santa Cruz Seaside . . . — — Map (db m64253) HM
In Memory of Chuck Volwiler (1956-2002)
Booming theatre business in Santa Cruz led the Golden State Theatre chain to replace the 700-seat Unique with the 1,500-seat Del Mar in 1936. The movie palace was a flagship of the chain, . . . — — Map (db m62489) HM
1856 Architects Row
Farms and orchards surrounded the site’s original buildings. These were the 1856 home and office of architect Thomas Beck and 1861 home and office of architects John Morrow and John Williams north of Beck’s. Churches Morrow . . . — — Map (db m62503) HM
The Ross Whiting family has been part of Boardwalk history since 1927. As superintendent, Joseph “Ross" Whiting was responsible for the first widening and paving of the Boardwalk. After leaving the Seaside Company in 1946, Ross and his family . . . — — Map (db m62828) HM
James Williams - Chiles-Walker Party 1843
Mary Patterson - Stephens-Murphy Party 1844
Married August 24, 1845
by Thomas O. Larkin
James Andrew Apr 4, 1851 – Jan 4, 1852
Andrew James . . . — — Map (db m62420) HM
Historic town founded by Charles C. Martin, who came around Horn in 1847, and his wife, Hannah Carver Martin, who crossed the Isthmus. First homesteaded area in 1851 and operated toll-gate and station for stage coaches crossing mountains. Later . . . — — Map (db m2345) HM
Near here in Mountain Charlie Gulch on May 8, 1854, Charles Henry “Mountain Charlie” McKiernan and a friend named Taylor were attacked by a Grizzly Bear. The bear sprang from a thicket, both men fired; but the bear grabbed Mountain . . . — — Map (db m53478) HM
Named for Charles Henry “Mountain Charlie” McKiernan, who was one of the first white settlers in the Santa Cruz Mountain area. One of the largest trees of its species, this Sequoia sempervirens was originally over 300 feet high. The tree . . . — — Map (db m53479) HM
Near this site Charles Henry “Mountain Charlie” McKiernan, native if Ireland, erected his cabin in 1850. The cabin was built of whip-sawed lumber cut from nearby redwood groves. Whip-sawing was a crude form of lumbering preformed by two . . . — — Map (db m53477) HM
The first ballot by a woman in an American presidential election was cast on this site November 3, 1868
Charlotte (Charlie) Parkhurst
who masqueraded as a man for much of her life. She was a stagecoach driver in the Mother Lode Country . . . — — Map (db m63489) HM
The year 1868 saw many important beginnings in downtown Watsonville. It was the year Watsonville was incorporated, the first nursery was established by James Waters and Jacob Blackburn, All Saints Episcopal Church was founded, the first wharf was . . . — — Map (db m55476) HM
Noted whip of the Gold Rush days. Drove stage over Mt. Madonna in early days of valley. Last run San Jaun (sic) to Santa Cruz. Death in cabin near the 7 Mile House, revealed “One Eyed Charlie,” a woman. The first woman to vote in . . . — — Map (db m62769) HM
An accomplished attorney and Watsonville mayor, James A. Hall was an adventurer at heart. In the summer of 1900, he set out to find a lost mining claim near Teller, Alaska. Before too long, he was lost himself. Without provisions and clad in summer . . . — — Map (db m62799) HM
The Judge Lee House
Has been placed on the
of Historic Places
By the United States
Department of the Interior
Pajaro Valley . . . — — Map (db m62770) HM
World War I:
Men Die O Liberty That Thou Endurs
Joseph Rebeiro • Lester Rowe • Reuben Silva • William Sullivan
World War II:
May the memory of those alumni of
Union High School . . . — — Map (db m62798) WM
The Castro Adobe is an outstanding example of Monterey Colonial architectural styling. The adobe functioned as a regional social center due to the importance of its location as the governing seat of the Castro family rural empire, which reached . . . — — Map (db m2354) HM
A wooden church was first built on this site in 1864 designed by James Walter. It was moved to Ford Street in 1901, and a larger English Gothic style edifice designed by William H. Weeks was constructed in 1902. It has a seating capacity of 625 . . . — — Map (db m54882) HM
The Apple Annual was held in downtown Watsonville from 1910 to 1913. For the first event in 1910, William H. Weeks, renowned Watsonville architect, designed a pavilion to house the show exhibits which was located on Second Street, now the site of . . . — — Map (db m54881) HM
When the land expedition of Alta California led by Captain Gaspar de Portola passed through this valley in 1769, they reached the Pájaro River, which they named for a large straw-stuffed bird (pájaro in Spanish) with a wing span of six feet . . . — — Map (db m54863) HM
July 14, 1769, an expedition led by Don Gaspar de Portola left San Diego to rediscover Vizcaino's "Lost Port of Monterey". The expedition reached but failed to recognize Monterey Bay, traveled north, and discovered San Francisco Bay November 4, . . . — — Map (db m86462) HM
Once hailed as the most elegant hotel south of San Francisco, the Mansion House in Watsonville, built in 1871, was considered past its prime in 1910. Owners Mateo and M.N. Lettunich, orchardists who also operated the Pájaro Valley’s largest fruit . . . — — Map (db m54900) HM
On the corner of Main Street and East Beach Streets, where the Lettunich Building now stands, was the Pacific Exchange Hotel built in 1856 by T.D. Alexander. By 1871 the owners decided that a larger and more modern hotel was needed and Thomas Beck . . . — — Map (db m54866) HM
To fire the first salute
(October 18th, 1850)
on the arrival of the news
its admission to the union.
Remounted for the City of Watsonville, March 22, 1922 by the Watsonville Parlor, No, 65, Native Sons of the . . . — — Map (db m54899) HM
After the California gold discovery in 1848, the rush was on from all parts of the nation to the mining regions of the West Coast. In early 1849, a young man named John Howard Watson arrived in California to seek his fortune. Stories have been . . . — — Map (db m21201) HM
Watsonville, where strawberries are sweeter, apples are crisper and produce plentiful, is a friendly place of diverse people who share a strong sense of community and optimism.
Don Sebastian Rodriquez owned the grant, Bolsa de Pajaro, on which . . . — — Map (db m54880) HM