Originally constructed in 1903 on this site as a two-story building, the Anderson Fire Station was completed for a cost of $90 for used lumber and nails.
Initial firefighting equipment included twelve buckets, four axes, three sections of hose . . . — — Map (db m70345) HM
“The pioneers in their journeys marked the roads and trails so that others recognizing them might safely follow”
This spot marks the location of the
California – Oregon Road
Main artery of travel of the pioneers . . . — — Map (db m70338) HM
Here in 1850 "Doc" Baker established a stopping place for emigrants on what became known as the Nobles Trail. George and Anna Marie Dersch bought out Baker and homesteaded the land in 1861. Tenants of the Dersches were responsible for whipping three . . . — — Map (db m57822) HM
The Masonic Lodge was constructed of locally made brick on this site prior to 1866. Mount Shasta Lodge No. 281 F. & A.M. occupied the building from 1886 to 1895, then again from 1934 until they sold the building to the City of Anderson in 2001. . . . — — Map (db m70344) HM
Dedicated to All Veterans Who Answered the Call
to Serve this Great Nation
Northern California Veterans Cemetery
Dedicated November 11, 2005
Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor
Thomas Johnson, Secretary . . . — — Map (db m63324) WM
This aqueduct was built in 1918 as connecting link of main canal of Anderson Cottonwood Irrigation Dist., to carry water across Anderson Gulch to irrigate lands in southern Shasta Co. Aqueduct is 1249 ft. long, 8 ft. wide, 5 ft. deep and 20 ft. from . . . — — Map (db m70339) HM
has been dedicated a
National Natural Landmark.
This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the nation's natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of man's environment. — — Map (db m546) HM
This facility is dedicated to the men and women,
who battled the 1992 Fountain Fire,
and those who have worked and are working
to restore this forest to a healthy and productive part
of the local ecosystem.
During the dangerous salvage . . . — — Map (db m13741) HM
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established in 1933 under President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal program.
During the years of the Great Depression, when the stock market crash and ensuing business closures left many Americans . . . — — Map (db m96652) HM
The boiler you see here was part of a steam donkey. In the late 1880s, logging around the Castle Crags area was booming. Steam donkeys were used to haul heavy logs from the cutting site to the milling area.
Steam donkeys consisted of a boiler . . . — — Map (db m113066) HM
Battle of the Crags was fought below Battle Rock in June 1855. This conflict between the Modoc Indians and the settlers resulted from miners destroying the native fishing waters in the Lower Soda Springs area. Settlers led by Squire Reuben Gibson . . . — — Map (db m69857) HM
For just six short years Sims was the location of a bustling Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp...
With its wooded valley and beautiful river setting, Sims was a haven to the boys from Company 978 who came from the busy cities of San . . . — — Map (db m69843) HM
It took a bit of grit and determination for the Forest Service and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) crew to build this sturdy bridge...
Raymond Huber, who supervised the project remembers... “I was given a pickup and a plan of a 160-foot . . . — — Map (db m69821) HM
This tablet marks the location
of the famous
The original building was a log cabin built in 1859. During a half century many noted people who made early California history were entertained in this . . . — — Map (db m69856) HM
It’s hard to imagine the roar of a sawmill in this quiet valley...
But the foundations and saw wheel in front of you are testament to a small sawmill at Sims. If you look closer, you can even make out a log pond barely visible in the brush to . . . — — Map (db m69841) HM
This water tank is one of only a few historic remains that help tell the Sims story...
The story starts around 1902 when the first sawmill at Sims was built. During this time, logs were transported to the sawmill by horses and steam donkeys. . . . — — Map (db m69842) HM
Built 1847 by Major Pierson Barton Reading, who crossed the plains in 1843, and was granted Rancho Buena Ventura, most northern Mexican grant, 1844. Site of first county seat, 1850, when Shasta included other counties. Discovered gold at Clear Creek . . . — — Map (db m57816) HM
Home of Pierson Barton Reading (1816-1868)-California Pioneer of 1843-Major in Fremont's California Battalion, Mexican War of 1846, signer of Capitulation of Cahuenga-discoverer of second major gold strike 1848-adobe built here 1847, designated seat . . . — — Map (db m57814) HM
In Commemoration of
Captain Dick and Richard Pugh
The 1850's saw tension and turmoil between the early settlers and the native peoples of the Fall River Valley.
Richard Pugh, a native of Wales, was chosen by Lt. George Crook to be his . . . — — Map (db m10287) HM
In Commemoration of
Established July 1, 1857 by Lieut' George Crook and Command for the protection of the immigrants and settlers. Later occupied by Capt John W Gardner and Capt McGregor.
The boundaries of this fort were . . . — — Map (db m57825) HM
Erected in 1885 on farmland donated by George M. Rock, the Burgettville Christian Church served both the towns of Burgettville, which extended two miles to the east, and Swazey, later called Glenburn, which was west of the church. As the towns were . . . — — Map (db m10285) HM
Established by Samuel Lockhart in 1856 as a link in the first wagon road from Yreka to Red Bluff, the Lockhart Ferry crossed below the confluence of the Fall and Pitt Rivers near this spot. After a massacre in December 1856, the ferry was . . . — — Map (db m10292) HM
Established 1854 by brothers Fredrick Anton and Ignatz Franck offering mining supplies and general merchandise. Built in 1867, this native stone and mortar building, replaced the original wooden structure consumed by fire in 1856. — — Map (db m70323) HM
Founded nearby by French miners in 1849, the town of Morrowville, relocated here, was the center of one of the state's richest gold producing areas. Total production was over $20,000,000. One of California's first stamp mills operated at the nearby . . . — — Map (db m57823) HM
Built in 1885 by Richard Feeney and first known as the Feeney Hotel. The hotel catered to miners and stage coach travelers. The saloon houses the 1850’s Empire Bar once housed in the Empire Hotel. This bar was brought around Cape Horn from England, . . . — — Map (db m70325) HM
The French Gulch Lodge No. 75, Independent Order of Odd Fellows was established on May 5, 1858. Erastrus Dickinson was first Noble Grand on June 24, 1864. All records of the lodge as well as the original charter were destroyed by fire. The new lodge . . . — — Map (db m70328) HM
Officers of the International Order of Odd Fellows Lodge, chartered 1858, commissioned the construction of a private and public cemetery in August, 1866. The public section opened May 16, 1868, with the lodge members interred thereafter as their . . . — — Map (db m89137) HM
Combat Veterans Wounded-My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country’s way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will come in my lifetime. — — Map (db m104604) WM
The townsite is located along Cloverdale Rd. for 0.7 of a mile. Established in 1849, the town grew quickly to 1,500 residents, including 600 Chinese closeby. The Hardscrabble mine began operations in 1853, served by the Dry Creek Tunnel and Fluming . . . — — Map (db m89136) HM
Until 1860 only a dangerous pack trail through the upper Sacramento River Canyon linked Oregon with California’s northern mines. Yreka’s merchants and settlers also wanted a safer wagon road.
The rugged terrain defied road building efforts . . . — — Map (db m108810) HM
Established 1948 and is the oldest bar and restaurant in Lakehead. The property the building is on was first sub-divided in 1917. In 1947 the Jones Dredging Company cleared the land, set up a sawmill and erected a prefabricated building.
In . . . — — Map (db m69819) HM
Until 1860 only a dangerous pack trail through the upper Sacramento River Canyon linked Oregon with California’s northern mines. Yreka’s merchants and settlers also wanted a safer wagon road.
The rugged terrain defied road building efforts . . . — — Map (db m70326) HM
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — — Map (db m71149) HM
In 1868, near this spot, the first school in Fall River Valley was built. The building was of log construction, 20 feet by 30 feet, with no floor or windows. About 1870 the first sawmill in the valley was built at Dana where lumber was obtained to . . . — — Map (db m57827) HM
This basaltic andesite boulder was created about 350 years ago, during the formation of Cinder Cone Volcano. Cinder cones form when blobs of gas-charged lava explode from a volcano’s vent, then fall back to earth as cooled fragments of rock. . . . — — Map (db m63318) HM
The fountain is a monument to Cal Trans who built it in the 1930's as a service to the motoring public.
The water source was developed by George L Kramer, the Cummings Toll Road Keeper, for the horses he used to maintain the road in the . . . — — Map (db m96640) HM
This stone monument, built in 1935, stands at the historic north entrance to Lassen Volcanic National Park from Lassen National Forest. Before the highway intersection was rerouted to its current location, visitors drove past this monument into the . . . — — Map (db m58126) HM
“We had at starting 5 miles up-hill travel mostly of a gradual ascent. This brought us to the summit of the hill from which Sacramento Valley may be seen.”
Allen J. Tyrell, Sep 14, 1860 — — Map (db m58129) HM
1856-57 Site of Hat Creek StationCalifornia Stage Company
1857-59 Temporary military post.
After the withdrawal of U.S. troops the “Hat Creek Station” was referred to as “Old Station.” — — Map (db m58130) HM
The Hat Creek Station was established here in 1856 and operated by the California Stage Co. on the eastern branch of the California-Oregon Trail and the Nobles Trail. The intrusion of the whites through Indian lands led to many conflicts. On August . . . — — Map (db m58555) HM
In the early 1900’s Mel & Mary Shearin had a homestead here. Mel ran pack trains and guided visitors to the area in to the wilderness.
After this area suffered heavy devastation – the 1915 eruption of Mt. Lassen and the resulting flood . . . — — Map (db m8906) HM
Date Opened: August 9, 1935
Owner Operator: T & D Jr. Enterprises
Architect: J. Lloyd Conrich / San Francisco, CA
General Contractor: Sath Brothers / San Francisco, CA
Date Reopened : August 14, 2002
Owner Operator: Southern Oregon . . . — — Map (db m70330) HM
Two separate markers have been mounted on the same rock.Marker on the Right:
Diestelhorst Auto Camp
Gotlieb Justus Diestelhorst came to Shasta in 1852, to grow produce and vegetables to sell. He found the soil . . . — — Map (db m70331) HM
The discovery of gold...
Major Pierson B. Reading discovered gold in Clear Creek in 1848 at what is now known as Reading Bar, located about a mile upstream. Thousands of people rushed here in search of fortune. Gold fever spread and caught . . . — — Map (db m113013) HM
A rich area for Native Americans...
As far back as 14,000 years ago, the Wintu and other Native American Indians lived in the northern Sacramento Valley and surrounding mountains. The Wintu practiced a lifestyle of hunting, fishing and . . . — — Map (db m113012) HM
Major Pierson Barton Reading, California explorer and participant in the Bear Flag Revolt, discovered gold on this bar in 1848. Soon afterwards he made a similar find on the Trinity River. News of these discoveries opened the entire northern region . . . — — Map (db m57817) HM
Dedicated To All The Veterans Of
Shasta Union High School
“From This Day To The Ending Of The World,
...We In It Shall Be Remembered
...We Band Of Brothers.”
World War II Fatalities
Elton Barker • Bilton . . . — — Map (db m113327) WM
Dedicated Memorial Day 1939
Owner: County of Shasta
Maintained by War Veterans of Shasta County
General Contractor: Adam Arras & Son Contractors
Funded by The County of Shasta and WPA
Listed in Architectural Historian Book By David Gebhard . . . — — Map (db m113330) WM
In Loving Memory to These Pioneers Who “Held the Ribbons” but Have Turned the Bend in this Road
One of the best known and beloved men in California
Williamson Lyncoya Smith • Aug 6. 1830. Born on a plantation on the James . . . — — Map (db m1177) HM
Peter Hoff’s butcher shop stood on this site. It was a wood-frame building built in 1855. The establishment, known for awhile as the City Meat Market, was destroyed by fire in 1878. The cavity in the hill side was a cold storage room. Snow was . . . — — Map (db m70431) HM
This barn was built in the late 1850’s by Thomas and Mary Coyle. It originally stood in the old Trinity Center and, for a time, was used to shelter guest’s horses at the Holland House Hotel on the road to Oregon. In 1959, when flooding of old . . . — — Map (db m96938) HM
This gallows is a restoration of the one on which John Baker and Charles Crouch were hanged on August 26, 1974, for the crime of murder. Before being hanged, and with permission of the officials, John Baker sang the following song: . . . — — Map (db m70428) HM
By serving the daily needs of the area, Frank Litsch’s general merchandise store gives us a rare look into the lives of the people living in Shasta during the years of 1873 to 1900. As these lives were in transition, so was the store. Goods . . . — — Map (db m70430) HM
On this site, in May 1852, a group of Shasta merchants met with William H. Noble to employ him as a guide over a direct route he had marked as an immigrant trail. This meeting resulted in the establishment of the Noble's Trail.
Rededicated . . . — — Map (db m112612) HM
Charles, infant son of George and Helena Cohn Brownstein of Red Bluff, died December 14, 1864. He was buried near land established by the Shasta Hebrew Congregation as a Jewish Cemetery in 1857. One of the earliest such cemeteries in the region. . . . — — Map (db m57826) HM
Founded 1849 as Reading's Springs. Named Shasta June 8, 1850. Second county seat Shasta County 1851-1888. Metropolis Northern California during 1850's. End road and beginning Oregon Pack Trail until 1861. Present home Western Star Lodge No. 2. F. & . . . — — Map (db m57820) HM
Building erected in 1855 by James Loag, pioneer, following fire of 1853 which destroyed town. Building refitted and became court house for Shasta County, January 1862. In May of 1888 county seat moved to Redding. Building purchased 1922 by McCloud . . . — — Map (db m1180) HM
The Southside Ruins marker consists of 9 plaques which depict the history of these former Shasta business buildings and the history of the town of Shasta itself. The 9 plaques are in groups of three, four and two and are presented below from east . . . — — Map (db m70582) HM
A Traditional American Barn
This barn was built in the late 1850s by Thomas and Mary Coyle. It originally stood in the old Trinity Center and was used to shelter horses at the Holland House Hotel, on the road to Oregon.
Rescued From . . . — — Map (db m70580) HM
Oldest Chartered Masonic Lodge in California
Free and Accepted Masons
Originally chartered by the most worshipful Grand Lodge of Missouri, A F and A M
May 10th AL5848 (1848)
Dedicated in due and ancient form this 10th day of May AL5998 . . . — — Map (db m1137) HM
The oldest Masonic Lodge in the State of California. Chartered by the most worshipful Grand lodge of Missouri on the 10th of May, 1848.
This building was dedicated on Saint John’s day, the 27th of December, 1854 and has been in continuous use by . . . — — Map (db m70429) HM
The Materials Information Society
Heroult Electric Arc Furnace
an Historical Landmark
In 1907, at Shasta County, the first electric arch furnace in the western hemisphere was utilized for the . . . — — Map (db m70327) HM
In Loving Memory to the These Pioneers
Who “Held the Ribbons” But Have
Turned the Bend in the Road
One of the Best Known
and Beloved Men in California
Willianson Lyncoya Smith
Aug. 6, 1830, born on a . . . — — Map (db m69798) HM
Our guide [Mr. K.V. Bumpass,] after cautioning us to be careful where we stepped, that the surface was treacherous, suddenly concluded with Virgil that the “descent to Hell was easy” for stepping upon a slight inequality in the ground . . . — — Map (db m58148) HM
In 1849 Charles Ogburn built a road to this site from Fort Reading. Ogburn’s road later became part of the famed Noble Emigrant route. Ogburn built a cabin, planted orchards & later sold to his brother John in 1856. Charlie’s Place was popular for . . . — — Map (db m70348) HM
[Two markers, side-by-side, describe the events that created the Devastated Area.] Marker 1:
A Night to Remember
May 19, 1915
You are standing in the aftermath of the volcanic destruction known as the Devastated Area. . . . — — Map (db m58113) HM
Following the May 1915 Lassen Peak eruptions, B.F. Loomis and other local residents discovered several massive hot rocks resting in the valley miles from the volcano. This hot rock is a piece of dacite lava that filled Lassen Peak’s crater. On May . . . — — Map (db m58114) HM
Inwood School was built in the summer of 1905. It was a one room school with one teacher who taught from first grade through the eighth grade.
The school was vacant for a few years while a new building was built at Black Butte Road. In 1958 the . . . — — Map (db m89138) HM
The enthusiasm, talent, and dedication of Benjamin F. Loomis helped bring a national park into existence. His legacy started with the photographs he took, which today still spark understanding and awe of Lassen Peak’s historic eruptive events. In . . . — — Map (db m58136) HM
This tablet marks the route of those early pioneers who, in 1852, first went over
The Noble Pass
Linking the Humboldt – Nevada Road with Shasta and Northern California, and their road is . . . — — Map (db m58115) HM
On this site, in 1903, H.H. Noble, President of the Northern California Power Co., built a summer home using native rock from this bluff. The bungalow was destroyed by forest fire in 1917.
The nearby forebay lakes serving Volta Power House were . . . — — Map (db m58606) HM
In 1852, William H. Nobles located an easier and more direct route to California for gold-seekers and pioneers heading west. Nobles Trail contributed importantly to the development of Northern California and led to additional transportation routes. . . . — — Map (db m58138) HM
Pioneered by William Nobles, this trail linked the Applegate Trail in Nevada to the Northern Sacramento Valley. During the 1850s and 60s, several thousand emigrants used this trail in their migration from the eastern United States. — — Map (db m58473) HM
“Traveled 15 miles to Charley’s Ranch and camped there. Good water, drove the stock 2 miles to grass, here we heard the first chicken crow, and saw the first hog.”
- John S.L. Taylor, Sep. 2, 1854 — — Map (db m70349) HM
The mountains of Lassen Volcanic National Park have been a sacred place of healing and strength to American Indians for more than a thousand years. The Atsugewi, Maidu, Yana, and Yahi tribes settled in the mountain foothills and spent their summers . . . — — Map (db m63301) HM
If we think of volcanoes as mountain builders, then glaciers are mountain remodelers. This lone rock pays tribute to the rearranging forces of glaciers. Glaciers carve, grind, and excavate mountains in ways that geologists easily recognize. This . . . — — Map (db m63310) HM
Freeland's store was built by John and Jane Freeland in 1854. Jane was registered as a sole trader in 1861, in Sierra Township (Shingletown) in the businesses of stockraising, farming and hotel-keeping, with their sons Bradford and William. The . . . — — Map (db m48578) HM
Whiskeytown Lake is part of a system of dams, reservoirs, canals, and power plants that make up the Central Valley Project (CVP). Created to control floods, supply water, and generate power, the CVP serves millions of Californians from Redding to . . . — — Map (db m63353) HM
In the mid to late 1800’s you would have traveled here by horseback, mule train, stagecoach, or on foot. The rough road that would have led you here continued into the valley, now filled with Whiskeytown Lake. It passed near mining camps along . . . — — Map (db m14412) HM
“Success was called LUCK by those that failed. From observation, nine-tenths of the “luck” came from hard work and judgement.”
Charles Camden, who stressed patience, perserverence, and . . . — — Map (db m12581) HM
On September 28, 1963, less than two months before his assassination, President John F. Kennedy made his last official visit to California to dedicate Whiskeytown Dam. The dedication completed the Central Valley Project, a 500-mile-long water . . . — — Map (db m63356) HM
Whiskeytown Dam is protected from flooding by the circular structure located a short distance from shore. Named the Glory Hole because it resembles the trumpet-shaped morning glory flower, this structure allows overflow lake waters to drain. Water . . . — — Map (db m63357) HM
To cross Clear Creek in 1865 it would have cost you 10 cents to walk across, 25 cents to ride over on horseback, and $1.25 to cross by wagon. Charles Camden, the bridge owner, spent $20,000 to improve the road between here and the town of Shasta. He . . . — — Map (db m12565) HM
Down this short trail, a bridge crosses Clear Creek just before the creek converges with Crystal and Mill Creeks. Prehistory and history converge here, too – on the Tower House Historic District. For more than 6000 years this area was home to . . . — — Map (db m12545) HM