Alleghany, “The Treasure Town,” was made up several mining camps; Smith’s Flat, Kanaka Flat, Wet Ravine, Cumberland and Kanaka City. All were established within a few months period in 1851, with Smith’s Flat being the first.
Among . . . — — Map (db m65935) HM
Forest City’s early placer gold claims were worked out by 1865 leaving the town “busted.” In 1870 a company of local miners and businessmen located a lost section of “The Great Blue Lead,” a 60 million year old north – . . . — — Map (db m65961) HM
Constructed in the late 1878s, by the early argonaut, J.F. Bovee, to house a clothing store and tavern. In 1928 David H. Casey, the 1918 Marine Corps Light Weight Boxing Champion, acquired the building. He ran a meat market with a “speak . . . — — Map (db m65934) HM
Built by N.O. Cornish to
serve traffic on the Henness
Pass Road “a large and
commodious house for the
accomodation (sic) of the
public provided smithing and
hay for teamsters(.“) In 1868
the transcontinental R.R.
ended . . . — — Map (db m65875) HM
Settled in 1850 by Mr. Savage, the first locations on Smith’s Flat were made in 1851. The company consisted of Big Smith Frank Powers, Thomas Dunham, Elihu Mosgrove and Davie Lewis. The diggings were named Brownsville in 1852 by a company of . . . — — Map (db m65944) HM
Established in the early 1850’s by Henry Kern and sold in 1858 to John Amerheim and Frank Diedel, together with mules, hogs, malt, barley and kegs. The brewery burned four times over its 80 year history but was rebuilt in the same location due to . . . — — Map (db m65957) HM
Built by West and Knowles following the fire of 1883. This then three-story structure housed the Knights of Pythias, a large rubber-sprung dance floor, a barber shop, saloon and billiard hall. In the late 1930s, the top floors were crushed by snow . . . — — Map (db m65946) HM
Beginning in 1854, John Bope's Ranch and Inn was a major stopping place on the Ridge Road. "3-1/2 miles to Tavern in Plum Valley, here we campt,...gold diggings all around here." - Loring S. Comstock, Aug 28, 1855 — — Map (db m99648) HM
"On again (along ridge), 2 miles to Gallaway's Rancho, then 4 miles to Forest City, to right of road and Orleans Flat (and Alleghany) to left of road. - Loring Samuel Comstock, Aug 28, 1855. — — Map (db m99646) HM
The Plum Valley House, built in 1854 by John Bope, was constructed of hewn logs and whip sawn lumber. It was a toll station on the Henness Pass Road between Marysville and Virginia City. It is named for the wild plums which grow in the area. — — Map (db m65932) HM
On July 1st, 1887, an attempt
was made to rob the Forest City Stage
carrying a shipment of Gold from the Bald
Mountain Extension Mine. Tom Davis,
driver, Ben Treloar, shotgun, were ordered to
halt, but were shot and "wounded" before the . . . — — Map (db m65958) HM
This mill, used to crush quartz rock in order to extract gold, was first located at the Del Norte and Scotia Mine in French Ravine, near Alleghany, an area which was suffering from an embarrassment of riches. The Alleghany lode was the purest . . . — — Map (db m65947) HM
California’s Sixteen to One has been producing gold for over one hundreds years. More than one million troy ounces of gold have been mined from its tunnels. In 1853 the Knickerbocker Drift Mine was started, later led to the development of the . . . — — Map (db m65937) HM
The Log Cabin Inn was rebuilt and renamed, Bassett House, by Mary and Jacob H. Bassett in 1871. This stopover was used by stage and freight teams between Truckee, Sierraville, Gold Lake, and Downieville until 1906. No wayfarer ever went away hungry . . . — — Map (db m21897) HM
In 1852 a pack trail was blazed from Sierra Valley over the summit to the placer mines of the North Yuba. Originally packers transported hay but within a few years this trade included beef, butter, barley, oats, hogs, and poultry.
On April 24, . . . — — Map (db m99627) HM
Hay was packed to Sierra City from Sierra Valley as early as 1852. Many of these pack trains used 50 to 75 animals. By the end of the decade, beef, butter, barley, oats, hogs and poultry products were being packed to west side.
In 1870, the Yuba . . . — — Map (db m65989) HM
Sierra Valley was discovered in 1851 by James P. Beckwourth, a mountain man and entrepreneur who was searching for a northern route across the Sierra Nevada. The valley had been sighted a year earlier by prospectors exploring the nearby Sierra . . . — — Map (db m65990) HM
Before the gold rush Indian Valley was used extensively by the Nisenan people. They were attracted to by the oak groves and the availability of fish and deer.
Beginning in 1849, the North Yuba River was intensively mined for gold. The cone . . . — — Map (db m43897) HM
This is a one to six scale model of an
Arrastra, which was operated in Sierra City
on the Kane Flat near the present Hayes Home.
It was located in the famous Sierra Buttes
Quartz Mine near the site of the Great 40
Stamp Mill. . . . — — Map (db m66290) HM
Originally a log building constructed in 1850 by John Craycroft & Company. It housed the famous Craycroft Saloon which boasted a 70 foot bar made from one rip-sawed board. Destroyed by fire, on February 19, 1852, it was immediately replaced by the . . . — — Map (db m43888) HM
Downieville, County Seat of Sierra County, was founded in 1849 upon discovery of gold near the confluence of the North Yuba and Downie Rivers. First called The Forks, it was renamed Downieville after Major Downie, who is said to have offered to . . . — — Map (db m43899) HM
Downieville is historically one of the most important & colorful towns of the Northern Mines. Gold deposits were discovered in 1848-1849. The spot where the town later developed was known as Jim Crow Diggins, Washingtonville, Missouri Town, or . . . — — Map (db m43922) HM
The Bosch Brewery, as it was also know is believed to be the first brewery in Downieville. Mr. Borge was the original builder and operator in 1854. In 1856 he sold it to Scamman, Shultz and Rapp. They sold it to Ferdinand Bosch in 1858.
Bosch . . . — — Map (db m44233) HM
Sometimes referred to as the “Masonic Graveyard”, began in circa 1860. Interred here are the remains of many early Argonauts. Nature’s storms and miner’s greed exposed many graves in the prior cemetery, including that of Thaddeus Purdy, . . . — — Map (db m44266) HM
Built in 1855 by Soloman Purdy of timbers mortised and fastened with wooden pegs. The “coke” and pig iron used was shipped “Around the Horn” to San Francisco then by pack train to Downieville at a cost of $40.00 per ton. The . . . — — Map (db m44238) HM
One of the first buildings in Downieville, built in 1852 this stone building was originally known as the Old Slate Store. The walls of this building are made entirely of flat rocks laid horizontally. It was first used as a . . . — — Map (db m43981) HM
In honor of our
members who have
served in the
Armed Forces of
Native Sons of the
Marker on left:
Dedicated to the many American . . . — — Map (db m43872) HM
Near this site in 1852 was erected the first Catholic Church in Downieville, with Father Dalton in charge. The original building was destroyed by fire in 1858 and replaced by the present structure the same year. — — Map (db m95694) HM
This Methodist Episcopal church, the first protestant place of worship to be erected in Downieville, was organized in 1855 by Rev. H. Ewart, who became the first regular pastor in 1856. Necessary funds were raised by Rev. John B. Hill. — — Map (db m95691) HM
"Went to Downieville, called one of the smartest mining towns in the country, containing some 4, or 5,000 inhabitants, buildings in the business part of town are very well built a great deal of business is done" - Winslow Blake, Aug 25, 1852 — — Map (db m99645) HM
This fireproof stone structure was built by E. Hirshfeldter shortly after the Downieville fire of February 19, 1852. It is an excellent example of California Gold Rush architecture. From its inception, it was used as a hardware store utilizing a . . . — — Map (db m43869) HM
The Spanish woman also known as Josefa, was hung off the Jersey Bridge July 5, 1851 a short distance down stream from this spot, for the murder of Frederick Alexander Agustus Cannon.
Cannon and his friends were celebrating Independence Day and . . . — — Map (db m57382) HM
Constructed circa 1852. Joseph Mackerman used the building as home and brewery. Since that time the building housed a drug store, meat market and California’s oldest weekly newspaper - - - The Mountain Messenger. This fireproof building, with iron . . . — — Map (db m43913) HM
Downie, a native of Scotland arrived in San Francisco on July 5, 1849. He moved up the Yuba to The Forks, arriving in November of 1849. On this site, he built the first structure in Downiville and took residence on December 10, 1849. It has been . . . — — Map (db m60867) HM
The Mountain Shade Lodge No. 18 F. & A.M. received it’s charter on May 5, 1852. Prior to that date they operated under a dispensation. The Masons met originally in the Craycroft Building. Then erected their own building on this site in 1852. The . . . — — Map (db m44242) HM
The Mountain Howitzer is a short barreled, large caliber cannon designed on such a small scale that the entire piece can be taken apart and carried on pack animals. Mountain Howitzers were mostly used on small skirmishes, scouting expeditions and . . . — — Map (db m101426) HM
Sierra County Sheriff's GallowsOn November 27, 1885, 20 year-old James O’Neill was hanged from this gallows for the August 7, 1884 murder of Webber Lake dairyman John Woodward. That execution, conducted by Sheriff Samuel C. Stewart, . . . — — Map (db m57828) HM
California gained statehood on September 8, 1850. It did so comprised of 27 counties with this area a part of Yuba County.
“The disadvantages of belonging to Yuba County were early felt; Marysville was too distant and a county government . . . — — Map (db m43846) HM
The original hotel was built in 1850. Destroyed by fire, February 19, 1852 and rebuilt by Thomas H. Clair, Proprietor. It also was destroyed by fire in 1864. F. A. Eschbacker, built a new St. Charles Hotel and operated it into the 1880’s, upon his . . . — — Map (db m43893) HM
In the Fall of 1853 a miner known as “Muntz” knifed and fatally wounded “Baltimore Jack” over a game of cards in Forest City. Muntz was taken to Downieville and held upstairs in the Craycroft Building for want of a jail. The . . . — — Map (db m88345) HM
Ancestrally, local streams and tributaries of the North Yuba River washed large quantities of gold searing sediments through this area, leaving very rich gravel banks or “bars”. In 1849, pioneers Miles and Andrew Goodyear and party . . . — — Map (db m44290) HM
This building was erected in early 1862 as a church and public meeting place. It was built from flume lumber floated down the river from Snake Bar. In the latter half of 1862 it was turned into a temple of learning. Mrs. Delany was the first teacher . . . — — Map (db m60314) HM
Near this point stood the locally famous inn built by Dan T. Cole in 1860. By 1890 the three-story roadhouse contained 16 lodging rooms, a dining and dance hall, bar, post office and telegraph station. A division point for the towns of Downieville, . . . — — Map (db m65960) HM
The St. Charles was erected in 1852 as a hotel by Mr. Hermseir. It was purchased in 1860 by Christina and Jacob Fluke, and burned in 1864. In that year, it was rebuilt to included (sic) a bar and upstairs dance hall. In 1899, Paul and . . . — — Map (db m60564) HM
The earliest settlers arrived in the Loyalton area in the late 1850s, where they stopped in the lush valley on their way to the Sacramento Valley. Founded in the 1850s as Smithneck, the community had raised a great amount of money for the Union . . . — — Map (db m66035) HM
E Clampus Vitus laid the corner stone July 4, 1871. August C. Busch, partner in the Young America Mine, entrepreneur extraordinaire built the structure using Sierra City bricks. The three story building housed the Wells Fargo Express, Western Union, . . . — — Map (db m61190) HM
You are standing on the Lagomarsino Ranch, part of the historic town of Loganville. From 1852 until the early part of the 20th century, the Keystone, Marguerite and Cleveland mines, located nearby, determined the fortunes of Loganville residents. . . . — — Map (db m65987) HM
This monument is placed to honor the early Chinese people of Sierra County who gave so much of their labor to the settlement of the West and this Gold Country. Their contribution in the building of the many roads, railroads, walls, ditches, and . . . — — Map (db m21896) HM
John G. Rose, Sr. built this hotel in 1886 and owned it until 1919. His son John then became proprietor until the middle of 1920s. The hotel was also known as the Capital Hotel and the Rose Hotel. Ernest Innes bought it and changed its name to the . . . — — Map (db m61122) HM
Opened in 1850 by Joseph Zumwalt
who brought the ritual of
E Clampus Vitus to California.
A significant route to Sierra
County gold camps and an important
team road to the Comstock Lode — — Map (db m65992) HM
There are three interpretive sites here at Kyburz Flat. Take a moment to understand the people who lived here, how each used the environment in different ways, and the unique marks each left on the landscape.
Visiting all three sites should take . . . — — Map (db m66039) HM