Born March 6, 1835 in Lexington, Missouri, Tacitus, at the age of nineteen, left for California by the southern overland route. The journey took six months to complete. He spent many years mining in Napa and Sonoma Counties, working on a ranch in . . . — — Map (db m70296) HM
Killed in Action
V.F.W. Post 5944
Dorris , California
Richard J. Birman • Loren E. Clark • Hudson Moak • Roy N. Taber • Donald F. Taber • James Forthingham • Dalton Yokem • Pete Viscanni • Howard Camp • John S. Branstetter • Clair . . . — — Map (db m87944) WM
Located east of the Cascade Mountain Range where the old Topsy Grade Stage Road enters Butte Valley, the town of Picard was settled in the early 1880s. Picard's Post Office opened in 1883 and closed in 1907. La Lake School located one mile to the . . . — — Map (db m100220) HM
Dunsmuir Centennial Committee
Baseball legend 'Babe' Ruth and his New York Yankee team mate Bob Meusel played in an exhibition game with local teams here on October 22, 1924.
Native Sons of the Golden West
June . . . — — Map (db m40198) HM
Locomotive 1727 is a Class M-6 Mogul built by Baldwin Automotive Works in 1901. It served Southern Pacific in California and Oregon until 1956. 1727 is one of only seven Mogul engines surviving today out of 355 originally built.
Donated by S.P. . . . — — Map (db m40383) HM
In 1886. Alexander Dunsmuir, the son of wealthy coal baron Robert Dunsmuir from Vancouver, British Columbia, visited this area while en route to San Francisco. Alexander was charmed by the rugged beauty of the region and made a proposition to the . . . — — Map (db m40495) HM
The city of Etna began in 1853 with the construction of a sawmill. In 1855 a flour mill was built and named Rough and Ready Mill. Stores, a hotel and schools were established by 1858.
In 1854 a flour mill was erected a mile away and named the . . . — — Map (db m70270) HM
Hallie Morse Daggett was a refined woman educated in San Francisco, however, her deep love for her childhood home at the Black Bear Mine near Sawyers Bar drew her back to the mountains. She knew how to hunt, fish, ride, trap and shoot early in life . . . — — Map (db m57944) HM
Alexander Johnson donated the land for the first High School, City Park and the Catholic Church.
Leonard Joss, naturalist, landscaped the first city park, planted diverse flora all around Etna.
In honor of their generosity we dedicated . . . — — Map (db m58567) HM
Crystal Creek Methodist Church was organized July 1, 1854. Among the dearest memories of the Old Log Church are those of the pioneers of Crystal Creek Sanitary Association organized in 1863, for relief work during the Civil War. The Old Log Church . . . — — Map (db m70269) HM
This land of ‘Siskiyou’...
“Rough and Ready”...
‘Aetna Mills’... ‘Etna’...
many names – but
One land of majestic mountains, pristine rivers & lakes. Sparkling streams flow through meadows filled . . . — — Map (db m57946) HM
The town of Deadwood, in its brief existence, was one of the most important business centers in early Siskiyou County. In 1857 there wee three stores, three saloons, two butcher shops, a bakery, a blacksmith shop, two stables, and a dairy. Among the . . . — — Map (db m110735) HM
On this ground there was established on Oct. 16, 1852 a military post by Companies A and B First United States Dragoons. From April 23 1853 until June 28 1858, the date of its abandonment, this fort was garrisoned by Company E 4th US Infantry. . . . — — Map (db m62845) HM
The discovery of gold in the early 1850’s brought miners, businessmen and the army to this valley, with the army establishing a post in 1852.
Improvements to the old trail were completed in 1854 allowing freight and stagecoaches to travel the . . . — — Map (db m70258) HM
The Meamber School District was formed in May, 1870. Land for the schoolhouse and grounds was donated by what was then the Goodale Ranch.
For the next 87 years, children of the area were educated in the Meamber schoolhouse from first through . . . — — Map (db m70255) HM
Co. E 4th Infantry
Enlisted 1849 • Discharged 1854
Served under Lieut. U.S. Grant
Pioneer packer and rancher
Married Mary J. Fragley 1864
They had a family of nine children:
James, Charles, Alice, Lillian, Helena,
William, Gertrude, . . . — — Map (db m70268) HM
To the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice for out county in the World Wars
World War I
Ed Del Ray • Maud Evans • Perry Harris • George V. Mathews • Leonard Schull • William A. Sheffield • Hallett Smith • Joe Silva • Frank J. . . . — — Map (db m70267) WM
A dream of Dr. G.W. Dwindle and others was realized when this dam was completed in 1927. The water surface is 1,800 acres, the length of the shoreline is over 15 miles, the maximum depth is 80 feet. 11,000 acres of farm land are irrigated from this . . . — — Map (db m89115) HM
of our veterans
who sacrificed their
lives in World War II
Alphonse, L.G. • Baugartnere, W. • Bernheisel, T.L. • Capello, A.F. • Clark, J.J. • Dunaway J.S. • Dutro, W.E. • Harris, Wm • Ladd, J. • Mottern, R. • Russell, F.S. . . . — — Map (db m88021) WM
This plaque commemorates the 60th anniversary of the American Legion. The national charter was signed in Hornbook on Sept. 16, 1919 by President Woodrow Wilson while his train stopped enroute from Portland to San Francisco. — — Map (db m88022) HM
On September 29 and 30, 1841, a detachment of the Wilkes expedition numbering 33 persons under the command of lt. George Emmons camped near this site. The party was in route from Fort Vancouver, Washington to Yerba Buena, California, and spent two . . . — — Map (db m89089) HM
On Aug. 8, 1853 Captain Alden led 10 men of the 4th U.S. Infantry from Fort Jones and 80 volunteers from Yreka over these mountains to the assistance of the Rogue River Valley.
This force augmented by 100 volunteers from Oregon defeated the . . . — — Map (db m70216) HM
Originally this area was known as Cottonwood, for the trees that grew along the creek. Gold was discovered here in 1851 by John Thomas, and many rich mines were located nearby, the “Brasswire Mine” and the “Jillson Mine” . . . — — Map (db m70217) HM
On this site was located the historic lumber town of Klamathon. Townsite laid out in 1888 by the Klamath River Lumber and Improvement Company with the sawmill completed on July 23, 1892. The town boasted a sawmill, box factory, sash and door . . . — — Map (db m70458) HM
Named after John D. Tennant, an official of the Long Bell Lumber Co. Besides the store that is still here, the town had a church, post office, library, hotel, skidsshacks, schools, and a roundhouse at the height of logging operations. Trains were . . . — — Map (db m99900) HM
Was a stage stop on first wagon road into Siskiyou County. The road known as Military Pass Road (circling Mt. Shasta to the east & north) was a link between Fort Crook and Fort Jones with the railroad advancing as far as Bartle. The town consisted . . . — — Map (db m69858) HM
Here along the Oregon-California Stage Road of 1856, a new road east to Linkville, now Kalamath Falls, was built in 1876.
With the arrival of the Central Pacific Railroad in 1887, Jerome B. Ager saw a need for a hotel, general store, saloon and . . . — — Map (db m70224) HM
On January 17, 1887 L.D. Norton, Assistant Engineer for the Southern Pacific Company, began to layout this townsite named in honor of Samuel S. Montague who was Chief Engineer of the Central Pacific Railroad most noted for his skillful engineering . . . — — Map (db m69875) HM
A small settlement started here in the 1880’s with two stores. A post office (established in 1888), saloon, blacksmith shop, slaughter-house, meat market, harness shop, race track, ball park and a few houses. Farther east was a grist mill. The post . . . — — Map (db m69873) HM
Across the road from this marker stood the Strawberry Valley Stage Station which served the patrons of this line from its completion in 1857 until 1886 when the railroad construction reached the valley.
The small building across the road was . . . — — Map (db m69860) HM
Dedicated to William and Mary Parker Sullaway the first family to settle in Strawberry Valley in 1858. Sullaway was founder of the Pioneer State Line from Yreka to Shasta, Shasta County in 1857. Forest Home located on this site was this first . . . — — Map (db m69859) HM
Site of Berryvale Post Office. It operated from 1870 to 1887. Postmasters were JH Sisson, GL Lamphere, ET Keyser, Sophia J Fellows. The post office moved to the railroad station in 1887 and became known as Sisson in 1924. It was renamed Mt. Shasta. . . . — — Map (db m62786) HM
Administered by the Forest Service, United States Department of Agriculture has been designated a
Registered Natural Landmark
This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the nation's natural heritage and contributes to a . . . — — Map (db m89118) HM
General E.R.S. Canby was murdered here in April, 1873, while holding a peace parley under flag of truce with Captain Jack and Indian Chiefs. Rev. Eleazer Thomas, Peace Commissioner, was likewise treacherously slain. — — Map (db m10466) HM
From this fortress Captain Jack and his Indian forces successfully resisted capture by U.S. Army troops from December 1, 1872 to April 18, 1873. Other nearby landmarks of the Modoc Indian War are Canby's Cross, No.110 and Guillam's Graveyard, No.13 — — Map (db m76320) HM
In 1913, Hallie Daggett accepted the job at the Eddy Gulch Lookout, entering history books as the Forest Service’s first woman lookout (1913-1927). At a time when men dominated the workplace, this act took special courage, self-confidence, and a . . . — — Map (db m70294) HM
Sawyers Bar is perhaps the most picturesque of the northern mining towns. It was founded in 1850 by Captain John Best and party who were guided to the spot by a friendly Indian. The town was originally called Bestville and had over 3,000 . . . — — Map (db m70287) HM
The piles of boulders you see before you were made around 1850.
The miners used both windlass and water powered derricks to lift and pile these rocks in their search for placer gold in the underlying sands.
Water power for the derricks was . . . — — Map (db m89092) HM
Forced to flee the stronghold, the Modoc took cover amid the craggy lava features in this area. A group under Scarface Charley watched from the Schonchin Flow as Army troops marched from Gillems Camp toward their concealed position.
Officers . . . — — Map (db m87906) HM
It was April 11, 1873, the middle of the Modoc War. Though greatly outnumbered, Modoc warriors had easily defeated the Army in the first battle for the Stronghold in January, and soldiers had waited through the winter while peach talks dragged on. . . . — — Map (db m87916) HM
Over the years, various individuals and group have made efforts to memorialize the death of General E.R.S. Canby, the only general to be killed in an Indian War. This wooden cross is a replica of an original erected by a U.S. soldier in 1882, just . . . — — Map (db m87909) HM WM
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt established the Civilian Conservation Corps on March 31, 1933, to provide employment for America's youth and promote the nation's economic recovery. The CCC's work involved conservation projects on forest, park . . . — — Map (db m547) HM
For thousands of years, the hill rising in front of you was an island. Ancient Lake Modoc lapped against its base, scouring cliffs. Later, Native Americans canoed to these cliffs to carve symbols in the soft volcanic tuff, and Modocs still tell of . . . — — Map (db m13736) HM
This was the shoreline of Tule Lake in 1872-73. The Modoc Indians occupying the Stronghold obtained water at this point.
Once nearly 100,000 acres, the lake was drained between 1912 and 1958 to make fertile land available for homesteads. — — Map (db m87914) HM
Thousands of years ago, flowing lava cooled forming a natural fortress. The surrounding area later became the center of the Modoc Indian homeland. A series of events made this lava stronghold a focal point in the war to remove the Modoc from their . . . — — Map (db m87917) HM
Preserved for its caves and volcanic features since 1925, Lava Beds serves as an outdoor school for professional and amateur geologists alike. While the monument covers only ten percent of the surface area of the massive Medicine Lake shield volcano . . . — — Map (db m63272) HM
“When I was a child…I played around Tule Lake where the tules and grass grow thick… We used to go out in the tall grass… and look for chub fish… and shoot at (them) with our arrows.”
Peter Schonchin, last surviving . . . — — Map (db m63249) HM
Imagine watching hot lava flowing toward you at this spot over twelve thousand years ago. Like treads rolling on a tank, the clinker, cooling front of the flow fell off and was run over by the hot molten core. The Devils Homestead flow, which . . . — — Map (db m63258) HM
Civilian Conservation Corps
This camp was built and staffed by the CCC, an organization that was established during the Great Depression by President Franklin Roosevelt to reduce unemployment and to preserve the nation's . . . — — Map (db m88000) HM
By April 1873, months of peace talks to end the Modoc War had gone nowhere. General E.R.S. Canby found himself caught between President Grant’s Indian Peace Policy and the desire of some settlers to have the Army eliminate the Modoc band. The Modoc . . . — — Map (db m63211) WM
“Peaceable if you can, forcibly if you must,” ordered Indian Agent T. B. Odeneal. The U.S. Army garrison’s task was to bring the Modocs and their leader, Captain Jack, back to the reservation. His refusal started the Modoc War in the . . . — — Map (db m63213) WM
Has Been Designated a
Under the Provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935
This Site Possesses Exceptional Value
in Commemorating and Illustrating
the History of the Unites . . . — — Map (db m100345) HM
It is difficult today to trace the disposition of all those killed in action during the Modoc War. This site was first consecrated January 17, 1873, when two soldiers were buried here. It became an official cemetery in April when thirteen enlisted . . . — — Map (db m63670) HM
This steep cliff of nestholes and crevices overlooks the Tule Lake National Wildlife Refuge and Lava Beds National Monument — fruitful hunting ranges for hawks, falcons, owls, and other birds of prey.
A favorable environment here is . . . — — Map (db m63657) HM
At some time within the last several thousand years, an eruption of magna from the bottom of the earth crust sent a broad stream of hot liquid rock across this land. The flow started to your right, 3.2 kilometers (2 miles) south of here at the site . . . — — Map (db m63253) HM
The “chimneys” before you built up as hot gasses propelled globs of lava high into the air like lumpy oatmeal boiling over a pot. This lava quickly formed dramatic, hollow spatter cones as it fell back to the ground. Later, less . . . — — Map (db m63284) HM
Through the winter of 1872-1873, a vastly outnumbered group of Modoc Indians resisted attempts by the U.S. Army to remove them from their homeland. Driven from Captain Jack's stronghold, the Modoc moved into this area in mid-April. Intimate . . . — — Map (db m63270) WM
From this command post, the U.S. Army directed part of a frustrating campaign against a small band of Modoc Indians. Determined to defend their homeland, the Modoc consistently outmaneuvered the Army, who at times outnumbered them ten to one. Just . . . — — Map (db m63668) HM
As early as 1852 wagon trains of overland emigrants crossed 600 feet to the north into Shasta Valley and Yreka; and at this point the 1857 Military Pass from Fort Crook emerged to join the westward emigrant road. — — Map (db m69865) HM
Dominating the landscape, Mt. Shasta can be seen for 100 miles from certain points drawing hikers, skiers and travelers. Mt. Shasta rises 11,000 fro the base to the summit for a total elevation of 14,162’ above sea level, one of the nation’s largest . . . — — Map (db m69866) HM
The Arch is the strongest form of architecture known to Man.
This steel arch replaces the original concrete arch first erected on this site in 1922. Due to the lack of maintenance over the years, surface cracks appeared. Because there were no . . . — — Map (db m62809) HM
"Stop at Sheep Rock Here is ceder [sic] and pine Large strait [sic] and tall Now this is a large rocky region where the mountain sheep abounds Deer and antelope to[sic]" - Sophronia Helen Stone, Sep 22, 1852 — — Map (db m100067) HM
"Made a drive of 20 miles and campt by what are called Sheep Rock Springs, at the head of Shasta River Valley and about 30 miles from our destination, Yreka City." - James S, Cowden, Oct 10, 1853 — — Map (db m99894) HM
When the Baldwin Block was completed in 1882, this section was rented first and became a saloon with a shooting gallery and pool table. By 1892 the building was being used as a sample room for the Clarendon Hotel across the street. Extensive . . . — — Map (db m70075) HM
When the Baldwin Block was completed in 1882, this section was rented first and became a saloon with a shooting gallery and pool table. By 1892 the building was being used as a sample room for the Clarendon Hotel across the street. Extensive . . . — — Map (db m70076) HM
Sam Lockhart owned this property in 1852 and leased it to a gentleman who ran the Bella Union Saloon for a time. When German-born Charles Iunker and Louis Rapi became new owners in 1859, they prided themselves on service, superior liquors, and . . . — — Map (db m70167) HM
The Yreka Bakery (spelled and pronounced equally correct forward and backward), was founded in 1856 by alleged Civil War deserter Frederick Deng. The business actually began at another location and then moved across the street before finally . . . — — Map (db m70093) HM
H.E. Stimmel, a German native, purchased this building from William Chamberlain in 1856, and promptly opened a stove shop. Initially selling parlor and cooking stoves, he gradually expanded his inventory and turned the business into a general . . . — — Map (db m70099) HM
Between 1956 and 1866 this building housed a general merchandise store, tin shop, and grocery business. Sometime before the turn-of-the-century, however, it became known as Turner Hall, meeting place for Yreka social and business groups. This . . . — — Map (db m70169) HM
The presence of this on an early Yreka map indicates that it was constructed on or before 1856. In was home to Charles Peters’ Yreka Brewery and Saloon, with the saloon occupying the front portion of the building and the brewery the back. Peters was . . . — — Map (db m70095) HM
The City Meat Market was owned and operated by various individuals since its first owner, Charles Herzog, put up the building in 1854. Through the years innovations such as a horsepower apparatus to run the sausage machine (1867), lowered the price . . . — — Map (db m70164) HM
On or near this site between 1854 and 1856 the members of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus had a meeting hall. During the day it was used as a court room and clerks office. — — Map (db m70186) HM
The construction history of this building is unknown, although its architectural elements and fabrication materials indicate an 1850s origin. It served as a freight office for Wells Fargo and Company at one time, and was owned by the Franco-American . . . — — Map (db m70163) HM
David D. Colton arrived in Yreka in 1851, mined for a time, established the Mountain News Herald, and at age 21 became the second Siskiyou County sheriff. His original 1853 hewed-log house on this site was replaced the same year by a brick . . . — — Map (db m70135) HM
From a narrow, two story brick house in the 1850s, to an expansive hotel with a 167 foot frontage, the Franco American Hotel became one of the largest and finest inns in Northern California. Started by the Frenchman Leon Marniesse in 1855, the hotel . . . — — Map (db m70084) HM
Near this spot in 1851 Frogtown was founded. It became the center of trade for the miners working on the nearby flats and gulches. When the Oregon Stage Road was made the town was moved to higher ground and in 1852 was renamed Hawkinsville. In 1858 . . . — — Map (db m70205) HM
Near this spot in March of 1851 a real “Greenhorn” Englishman traveling through the country inquired at the Bean-McConnell diggings where he might acquire a gold mine. Mr. Bean as a joke sent him to the most unlikely spot up the hill and . . . — — Map (db m70110) HM
The Italianate-style building was put up after the fire of 1871 burned an earlier 1850s structure. Rebuilt in brick, the rear was used as a soda factory while the front became an auction house and later a space for county fair exhibits. The . . . — — Map (db m70080) HM
Construction date of this building is unknown, but the New England Bakery and Temperance House was operating her as early as 1855. With a typical “false front,” the sidewalls are common to adjoining structures, but the building’s width . . . — — Map (db m70092) HM
The Arcade Saloon once stood on this site in 1856 where Lotta Crabtree began her singing and dancing profession, and John C. Heenan, ‘The Benicia Boy’ started his fighting career. The building was completely destroyed by the Great Fire of 1871, but . . . — — Map (db m70131) HM
In commemoration of prospectors, miners & their settlements along Humbug Creek – Frenchtown (Mowry’s Flat), Humbug, Humbug City, Riderville (Plugtown) & Freetown. The Howlin Wilderness Saloon, immortalized by Joaquin Miller, was located here. . . . — — Map (db m70207) HM
I.O.O.F. Yreka Lodge #19 was instituted in 1853 and has been at this location since that date. Multiple transactions in ownership and lot size and shape occurred before two, one-story brick buildings were erected on this site. These buildings . . . — — Map (db m70129) HM
219 A one-story business house initially owned by J.P. Smith occupied this site until the fire of 1871. Rebuilt in 1875, the structure witnessed a myriad of business ventures including several general merchandise stores and a Greek restaurant. . . . — — Map (db m70133) HM
223 Once a separate building owned by L. Rosenburg, this former dry goods store was turned into a hotel when W.W. Powers bought it and rebuilt after the Great Conflagration of 1871. A bootblack stand within catered to the menfolk of Yreka. When . . . — — Map (db m70134) HM
Roman’s Bookstore and Newspaper Emporium was the first business to inhabit a building that was constructed on this site in 1859. The building burned, along with much of the town, on July 4, 1871, when a fire was started in this block by careless . . . — — Map (db m70079) HM
Built in 1854, this one-story “fireproof” brick building immediately became a general merchandise store that operated under several owners until 1865 when the Forest House Fruit and Cider Store opened for business, sharing space with the . . . — — Map (db m70162) HM
Near this spot at 3:00 a.m. August 3, 1935 Clyde Johnson, native of Alabama, was lynched by a yet unknown group of masked men for the murder of Dunsmuir police chief Frank E. (Jack) Daw after robbing Padula’s bar in . . . — — Map (db m70189) HM
Originally known as the Wetzel Lot, a brick building stood here in 1880 which housed the fire department – Engine & Hose No. 1. A new building with a massive edifice was erected on the site in 1926 by four Masonic orders who sold shares at $50 . . . — — Map (db m70081) HM
Moonlit Oaks Dance Pavilion
Near this location on July 3, 1926, Moonlit Oaks Open Air Dance Platform Opened, hosting dances most Saturday Nights. Pints of illicit spirits were obtained. From the man in the parking lot with . . . — — Map (db m70188) HM
Jerome Churchill, packer, financier and entrepreneur raised a general merchandise store here in 1851. It was a tent. When several of these “temporary” structures continued to burn, Churchill put up a “fireproof” brick . . . — — Map (db m70073) HM
Purpose: gold mining. Used from 1890 to 1906. Cast by Joshua Hendy Iron Works. Operated for years at Red Mill Mine, near mouth of Know Nothing Creek. Near 500 foot head of water. Packed to mine by Bennett Co. pack train.
Donated by Nelson . . . — — Map (db m70196) HM
330 Two buildings rested on this site in the 1850s, one a brewery and the other a bakery that advertised 12 loaves of bread of $1.00. Fire broke out in the bakery in 1864 destroying all of its contents and much of the surrounding structures. The . . . — — Map (db m70097) HM
332 Godfrey Peters converted the east half of this building into a theater in 1904. The Peter’s Opera House, complete with sloped floor, stage and two balconies, opened to a packed house with the showing of a five-act play. A bandstand was built . . . — — Map (db m70098) HM
Dedicated to the
Memory of Pioneer Stage Drivers
1854 • "Knights of the Whip" • 1887
To the pioneers of stage and team • Who blazed this trail and crossed this stream • To you whose courage led you on through trials and hardships . . . — — Map (db m89094) HM
The citizens of Siskiyou County and California hereby honor Senator Randolph Collier, the “Father of the Freeway.” Born in Etna, educated in Yreka’s schools, Senator Collier began his long political career as a Police Judge in Yreka in . . . — — Map (db m70185) HM
On this site a least four known stage coach robberies occurred. In the hold-up of September 25, 1897, the robber William Harrall was trailed to Delta, Shasta County where he killed undersheriff William A. Radford. The last hold-up here and in . . . — — Map (db m70251) HM
In 1852, Frederick Ruehle, the second owner of this property built a two-story brick structure with iron shutters on this site. When Alois Wetzel became the new owner in 1866, he put in a shaving saloon (sic) and bathhouse downstairs while the . . . — — Map (db m70094) HM
On this site sat
Siskiyou County High School
The three story brick structure opened its doors to eighteen students on Sept. 5, 1893, and served until Oct. 3, 1916, when it burned. It was replace in 1918 with a larger two story stucco . . . — — Map (db m70199) HM
Two related markers on opposite sides of the same 'board'.
Site of Yreka Inn
Stopping place for the “Rich and Famous”
mid-way between Portland, Oregon
and San Francisco
Built in 1925 by L.L. . . . — — Map (db m70192) HM
David D. Colton built a handsome brick building on this site in 1856, and outfitted the upper floor as a theater which operated until 1858. At various times the building housed several businesses, including a skating rink, saloon, hotel, restaurant . . . — — Map (db m62984) HM
Southern sympathizers George and Ridgely Greathouse purchased this lot in 1858, and then resold it for $700 a year later. The ground floor of this presently existing building was constructed in 1859 of locally kilned brick, and housed new owner R.O. . . . — — Map (db m70128) HM
Although a city park today, this lot was previously home to several early Yreka buildings, the last being brick which was erected by J.W. Riddle six years after the great fire of 1871. Riddle planned to lease the basement of his general merchandise . . . — — Map (db m70074) HM
Gold was discovered here in March, 1851 by Abraham Thompson, member of a party which was enroute (sic) from Oregon to Scott Bar. Following a heavy rain storm, particles of gold in the roots of grass pulled up by pack animals caused Thompson to wash . . . — — Map (db m70197) HM
Originally built in 1879 to accommodate three separate businesses, this structure became the Power’s Hotel, a fine two-story, twenty-room affair when the second story was added in 1882. Prior to the installation of room-dividing walls, a . . . — — Map (db m70130) HM
Originally a general store in the early 1850s, it became the site of Alois Wetzel’s first bathhouse and shaving saloon in 1863 (He moved the business across the street three years later). The property was brought and sold numerous times through the . . . — — Map (db m70166) HM
The damage to this building in the great fire of 1871 was only $100, no doubt a result of its brick construction. Built by Abel Witherill in 1859 (the same year Yreka was illuminated by gas light), an assortment of short-lived businesses operated on . . . — — Map (db m70171) HM
Brick-40’x97’ - with the six
arches – built for owner Able
Winthrill to serve as two
West half know as
Adolf Winckler Grocery &
Gen. Mdse. Store – 1850 to 77 . . . — — Map (db m70170) HM
Founded in March 1851 with the discovery of Gold in the nearby “flats”, Yreka quickly became the commercial and transportation hub for the surrounding communities and mining camps. Yreka’s tents and shanties gave way to more substantial . . . — — Map (db m70109) HM
There are two plaques located at the kiosk next to the Yreka Chinese Cemetery.
The Yreka Chinese Cemetery was created by the Yreka city Board of Trustees in August 1877. The United States government issued a patent to the Central Pacific . . . — — Map (db m70112) HM
“Drove into town (Yreka) and a mighty town it is... several very good brick buildings. ...nothing can be bought here for less than two bits, a loaf of bread that use to cost five cents is 25, salt 25 per lb.” George McCowen, Sep 1, 1854 — — Map (db m70198) HM
In response to the decision of the Southern Pacific Company to bypass Yreka and run its mainline through Shasta Valley, the Yreka Railroad was built and commenced operations January 9, 1889.
In 1933 the railroad was incorporated as the Yreka . . . — — Map (db m70201) HM