Named for Lt. Juan Francisco de la Bodega y Quadra, who discovered the Bay of Bodega on October 3, 1775.
Russian settlement originally called Kuskoff, founded by M de Kuskoff.
In 1843 Stephen Smith an American, erected in this vicinity the first . . . — — Map (db m73709) HM
Sheriff Samuel Potter donated the land for this public school in 1872. In September of
1873 classes for grades 1 through 8 were held in two large classrooms on the first floor.
The upstairs functioned as a multi-use room and community hall. In . . . — — Map (db m87564) HM
On September 11, 2001 the Board of Supervisors of the County of Sonoma selected this site to commemorate the contribution of Christo and Jeanne-Claude. Their vision, dedication and perseverance made the Running Fence possible. This art project . . . — — Map (db m80698) HM
Constructed of redwood in 1859 by New England ship's carpenters on land donated by Jasper O'Farrell, the church has served this coastal community continuously for over a century. Father Louis Rossi was appointed pastor on March 8, 1860, and . . . — — Map (db m78171) HM
Built in 1856 Watson District School is an example of one-room schools in Sonoma County. This is the original site and the school remains in its original condition. It served as a public school for 111 years, longer than any other one-room school in . . . — — Map (db m81126) HM
Discovered in 1602-03 by the expedition of Vizcaíno. It was named by Bodega in his survey of 1775. The harbor was used in 1790 by Colnett and by the Kusov expeditions in 1809 and 1811. The Russian-American company and their Aleut hunters used the . . . — — Map (db m856) HM
The Children's Bell Tower is dedicated to children everywhere. It was inspired by the death of seven-year old Nicholas Green of Bodega Bay who was shot by highway robbers while on vacation with his parents in Italy, on September 29, 1994.
All . . . — — Map (db m87570) HM
The "Cloverdale Reveille" is the oldest weekly newspaper continuously published under the same name in the state of California. Founded in the 1870s, and surviving the ups and downs of frontier journalism, the "Cloverdale Reveille" was adjudicated . . . — — Map (db m102479) HM
Thomas Jefferson Gould, an Indiana born blacksmith, built this house, which has become an important part of the town’s history, in 1862. One of the few surviving examples of Gothic Revival architecture, the house is the oldest . . . — — Map (db m109979) HM
Here in 1881 Italian Swiss immigrants established an agricultural colony. Choice wines, produced from grape plantings from the old world, soon brought wide acclaim. By 1905, ten gold medals were awarded these wines at international competitions. — — Map (db m102481) HM
Cotati's hexagonal town plan, one of only two such in the United States, was designed during the 1890s by Newton Smyth as an alternative to the traditional grid land planning. The six-sided town plaza was designed for founder Thomas Page, and each . . . — — Map (db m11998) HM
Icaria-Speranza was a utopian community based on the writings of French philosopher Etienne Cabet. In 1881, at Cloverdale, French immigrant families led by the Dehay and Leroux families began their social experiment in cooperative living based on . . . — — Map (db m102483) HM
Petaluma & Santa Rosa Railroad Company wooden box cars nos. 100 and 102 (original numbers 66 and 68) were built in the P.&S.R. Petaluma shops in May 1910/ Salvaged at Cotati and restored by Duncans Mills Trading Co. July to Nov. 1982.
North . . . — — Map (db m102508) HM
On 3 August 1877 the Wells Fargo stage from Fort Ross to Duncans Mills was robbed by Black Bart (aka Charles E. Boles, Bolton, T.Z. Spaulding) using his feared command, “Throw down the box!” It was Black Bart’s fourth stage holdup and . . . — — Map (db m80693) HM
"The Main Building" was constructed in 1908 to replace the administration wing that had been severely damaged in the 1906 earthquake.
The building served as the main administration building from 1908 to 1957. It was used as the professional . . . — — Map (db m102558) HM
In 1834, Mariano G. Vallejo's brother-in-law, John B.R. Cooper, constructed California's first known power-operated commercial sawmill. In addition to sawing redwood lumber, the mill and settlement served as a barrier to Russian encroachment from . . . — — Map (db m102484) HM
"Any time you happen up in this part of the country, look us up. We have blankets, grub, and a latchstring alway out." -- Jack London
Jack and Charmian London lived in the Cottage from 1911 to 1916. They often greeted their guests on the . . . — — Map (db m102553) HM
Site of the Poppe
Dry Goods & General Merchandise Store
Glen Ellen Post Office
First built of wood in 1883
Destroyed by fire in 1905
Rebuilt of stone with two stories in 1906
Damaged in 1906 Earthquake
Rebuilt with . . . — — Map (db m26468) HM
Eucalyptus were introduced in California before Jack London's time. Pioneer families needed wood, which was in short supply, for many items such as furniture and utility poles. Planting eucalyptus, a fast-growing import from Australia, was believed . . . — — Map (db m102537) HM
In early 1905 through the efforts of General Wagner, this Civil War Era cannon was delivered to Glen Ellen where it was placed in the center of town. It has continuously been recognized as the town marker and as a symbol of community for the town. . . . — — Map (db m24961) HM
In the early 1900's, horses were still the main source of power on farms and ranches. They were used for riding, pulling cars, wagons and other heavy farm equipment.
Though he owned about 50 horses, Jack London most prized the beautiful and . . . — — Map (db m102556) HM
Originally built sometime between 1870-1880, this historic winery building was remodled by the Londons into a kitchen, living room and dining area. It was the center of activities for their many frequent guests.
"When we entered the large, . . . — — Map (db m102554) HM
Jack London saw fine, fat cattle in Hawaii living well on spined cactus and wanted to duplicate the success of Hawaiian ranchers. He planted this field with Spineless Prickly Pear Cactus, Opuntia avalon, developed by renowned horticulturalist . . . — — Map (db m102536) HM
To establish a model farm on the land that he loved and desired to preserve for future generations.
Eliza London Shepard, Jack's step-sister and Ranch Superintendent, worked with Charmian for many years after Jack's death maintaining the . . . — — Map (db m102535) HM
This is the "House of Happy Walls", built by Charmian K. London in 1919 in memory of her husband, Jack London, renowned author. Here are housed many of his works and the collection gathered in their travels throughout the world. Charmian's house, . . . — — Map (db m24996) HM
London's workers graded the steeper fields before you into stair-steps to prevent erosion. Traveling to Japan and Korea as a war correspondent in 1904, London had seen how well terracing worked.
"What I never been able to understand was why they . . . — — Map (db m102538) HM
The ruins before you are all that remains of Kohler and Frohling Winery's main building. Damaged by the 1906 earthquake, the structure was later converted by the London's into living quarters for their many workers and guests.
Jack's stepsister, . . . — — Map (db m102539) HM
This beautiful Beaux Arts Building was designed by Carl Ingomar Warnecke of the architectural firm Miller and Warnecke in 1921. The Bay Area firm designed residential work, apartment buildings, schools, commercial and civic structures.
Mr. . . . — — Map (db m99576) HM
Prior to the mid-1800s a vast forest of gigantic redwoods existed in this area The trees towered to heights of over 350 feet and measured from 12 to 14 feet in diameter The density of their foliage was so great that . . . — — Map (db m107151) HM
This was the terminus of the "Fulton-Guerneville" branch of the Northwestern Pacific Railway which began operations on May, 29, 1872.
The purpose of the railway was to replace the slow oxen team method of hauling timber and passengers to San . . . — — Map (db m102507) HM
James B. Armstrong
Colonel James B. Armstrong came to California from Ohio in 1874 as a land investor. He purchased land in these forests, eventually developing a deep appreciation for the redwoods. Witnessing the alarming rate of . . . — — Map (db m107311) HM
First building was Heald's cabin located 150 feet west of this spot. 1852 he built his store and post office 100 feet north of here. City created 1857.
Placed by Yerba Buena Chapter
E Clampus Vitas May 23, 1964 — — Map (db m42518) HM
This structure served the important hop industry of California’s North Coast Region, once the major hop-growing area in the west. Built in 1905 by a crew of Italian stonemasons, it represents the finest existing example of its type, consisting of . . . — — Map (db m10352) HM
In 1856, 1500 acres of the 17,892 acre Rancho El Molino were a "gift of love" to Mariano Vallejo's niece Anna Wohler. In the 1880's hops pioneer Raford Peterson purchased the land and built the "The House on the Hill," where his family lived for 100 . . . — — Map (db m102495) HM
The Russian-American Company grew crops and raised animals at Fort Ross to provide food for their Alaskan Colonies. In 1841, there were two windmills at Fort Ross. Grains, such as wheat, and barley, were ground into flour using millstones.
The . . . — — Map (db m85616) HM
Founded 1812 by Russians from Sitka. When Russians withdrew to Alaska, 1841, Captain Sutter bought the improvements and supplies. Acquired by State in 1906 and remaining buildings restored - Greek Orthodox Chapel, Commandants Quarters and Stockade. . . . — — Map (db m68792) HM
This chapel was a part of the settlement founded by the Russians in 1812 and known as Fort Ross. The fort was in the form of a quadrangle, about 300 feet square, inclosed by a redwood wall, with two blockhouses at opposite corners. Fort Ross . . . — — Map (db m92911) HM
site of the
This map of Fort Ross dated 1817 shows "Little Rumiantsev Cove" as well as the galiot Rumiantsev., the first ship built on the California coast. Also in the cove area were a number of buildings . . . — — Map (db m85623) HM
The key to the defense of early frontier forts was the blockhouse. It was from the blockhouse that an attacker could be put under a deadly barrage. In the event that the stockade wall was breached, the defenders could retire to the blockhouse for a . . . — — Map (db m85610) HM
Russians built California's first windmill at Fort Ross in 1814. The mill ground grain into flour for bread to feed both Settlement Ross and the Russians' Alaskan settlements. While the original structure no longer exists, the historical record . . . — — Map (db m85620) HM
Sandy Beach Cover lies below the fort. The principal port of the settlement was 19 miles to the south at Port Rumiantsev (Bodega Bay), where there was a deep-water anchorage and a warehouse. Russian Navy and Russian-American Company ships frequently . . . — — Map (db m16362) HM
George Washington Call (1829-1907) and his Chilean wife, Mercedes Leiva (1850-1933), bought 2,500 acres including Fort Ross in 1873. While maintaining a house in San Francisco, the family developed a dairy ranch and expanded the transport of local . . . — — Map (db m16357) HM
Native Alaskans, brought to Fort Ross by the Russian-American Company to hunt sea mammals and provide a work force for the colon, established a village on the marine terrace in front of the fort. The neighborhood also included the dwellings of . . . — — Map (db m16361) HM
Across the gulch to the east, a large Russian Orthodox cross marks the site of the settlement's cemetery. In 1990 the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, and California State Parks conducted an archaeological investigation of the historic Russian . . . — — Map (db m85607) HM
Most of the inhabitants of Settlement Ross resided outside the fort; only Russian-American Company officials and visitors lived inside. Everyone in the vicinity of Fort Ross worked for the company. Lower-ranking Russian and Creole employees . . . — — Map (db m85614) HM
In the early 1800s, Fort Ross was a thriving international community on the edge of the Spanish frontier. In 1812, the Russian-American Company (RAC) built Fort Ross at Metini, a centuries-old Kashaya village. The Fort had two purposes. The first . . . — — Map (db m115933) HM
Kenwood Depot, originally called South Los Guillicos, was constructed of locally quarried basalt in 1888 at a cost of $11,500. It was the only stone station on the 36.7 mile Northern Pacific Railway line which ran through the Sonoma Valley from Napa . . . — — Map (db m54606) HM
This building originally located 1500 feet east of this location and housing livestock, was built by a pioneer family from this area in the early 1870's. Once part of the historic Bodega Rancho, this land was known as the Rancho Paridiso and later . . . — — Map (db m102496) HM
The Petrified Forest, dating from the Eocene Period, is the only known example of a petrified forest in California. Its size, scope and variety of petrification is unique in the world. Opalized wood, obsidian, quartz crystal, petrified coral and . . . — — Map (db m102520) HM
... The discovery of the petrified forest by "Petrified Charlie" in the year 1870.
... The meeting with Robert Louis Stevenson immortalized in the book, "Silverado Squatters."
... All those others whose lives were devoted to . . . — — Map (db m102524) HM
County Landmarks Commission
County of Sonoma
This is to certify that the above historic site has been officially designated as a County Landmark by the Sonoma Board of Supervisors on December . . . — — Map (db m80694) HM
This area which has also been known as Penn’s Grove and Penn Grove — uncertainty surrounds the exact origin of the name — was first settled in 1852. With the competition of the San Francisco and North Pacific Coast Railroad in 1870 a . . . — — Map (db m54608) HM
To the east, at the top of the ridge, sits the landmark “Dos Piedras”, erroneously translated into “two rock”, between which ran the main Indian trail from Bodega Bay to the inland valley and to the Sierra. The rocks also . . . — — Map (db m64810) HM
August Courier columnist and peopleologist. Petaluma's number one booster. Founder of the World Wist Wrestling Championship and numerous other events. Trade mark - He's been photographed with more famous, infamous, usual and unusual people than . . . — — Map (db m85590) HM
Constructed in 1851
Home to Cases Horseshoeing
June 24, 2006 Destroyed by fire
Raised again in 2007 by Jeff & Gro
Tomasini & Family
Tomasini, Rex, Ace Hardware
Country Store established 1907 . . . — — Map (db m85593) HM
There was once a large lake in the valley to the east. Early Indian settlers called it Lake Tolay, after their former chief; hence the name Lakeville for the community that developed on this site. The first boat landing was built in 1853. Passengers . . . — — Map (db m78065) HM
The "Old Carnegie Library", begun in 1904, served Petaluma from 1906 until the new library was built in 1976. This first major building by local architect Brainerd Jones is noted for its freestanding dome with stained glass, and use of locally . . . — — Map (db m17580) HM
The President of the United States of America authorized by Act of Congress, March 3, 1863, has awarded in the name of the Congress the Medal of Honor to
Sergeant Richard A. Penry
United States Army
for conspicuous gallantry and . . . — — Map (db m85588) HM
Today, Stormy's restaurant is one of the oldest roadhouses in the West. Originally constructed in 1854 as Big Valley Inn, it was one of four hotels and stagecoach stops in the town of Bloomfield, which at the time was considered for the Sonoma . . . — — Map (db m110415) HM
In 1907, Mr. Herman C. Bartelt purchased what was then known as the Willow Brook Hotel from Mrs. Ellen Hayne, widder of William Harvey Hayne, who had purchased the property sometime prior to 1900. It was located at Corona Corners until the city saw . . . — — Map (db m92931) HM
Built by General M.G. Vallejo, 1834–1844, and known as Casa Grande. According to General Vallejo, “building was of immense proportions with different departments for factories and warehouses.” — — Map (db m2564) HM
Petaluma Adobe served as the center for General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo’s 66,000-acre working rancho from 1836-1846. It was once the largest privately owned adobe building in northern California; Vallejo sold the building and surrounding acres in . . . — — Map (db m71981) HM
This building which was built around 1900 has always housed a grocery store. The business was purchased in 1925 by the Volpi family. This grocery store was also a place where one could get a drink during Prohibition. When the local ranchers brought . . . — — Map (db m54609) HM
Located on Spanish grant Roblar de la Miseria. The pioneer hostelry was built by Robert Ayres and served as a stage coach station between Petaluma, Santa Rosa and Bodega during the early days of Sonoma County. — — Map (db m78069) HM
Wilson Elementary School was established in 1863 to serve the ranch families of West Petaluma. In 1908 a larger school was needed. The new school housed 4 or 5 classrooms and an auditorium. A picture of this school, designed by locally famous . . . — — Map (db m78070) HM
1881 - In This Garden - 1926
wrought with living plants to bring the world greater fertility, wealth and beauty developing new varieties which produced better fruits and more beautiful flowers. — — Map (db m102510) HM
The 1905 Comstock House is undergoing a restoration. This house was designed by local architect Brainerd Jones, who also created most of the buildings in Petaluma's historic core as well as the nearby Belvedere.
Jones included may whimsical . . . — — Map (db m102519) HM
This was the site of Rancho Los Guilucos (18,833 acres), granted in 1839 by Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado to John Wilson and his wife, Ramona Carrillo, sister-in-law of General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo. The house, constructed in 1858 by William . . . — — Map (db m80730) HM
Isaac De Turk came to Santa Rosa from Indiana in 1858. The son of a viticulturist, he was one of the first to appreciate the favorable conditions for growing wine grapes in this area and in 1862 established Belle Mount Vineyards at the foot of . . . — — Map (db m55049) HM
Brothers William H. Lee (born 1854) and Charles E. Lee (born 1856) came to California from Michigan and by the 1880’s had established a successful warehousing and drayage business. The earthquake of 1906, which caused greater damage to Santa Rosa . . . — — Map (db m54780) HM
Luther Burbank was born in Massachusetts on March 7, 1849 and arrived in Santa Rosa in October 1875. In 1884 he purchased four acres surrounding this site as a place for horticultural experiments. Here he lived and worked until his death on April . . . — — Map (db m12590) HM
Completed in 1910 at 401 Fifth Street
Designed by James Knox Taylor, FAIA
Moved to this site in 1979
Preservation Architect, Dan Peterson, AIA
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United Staes Department of the . . . — — Map (db m102518) HM
Established in 1854 with the burial of Thompson Mize on Oliver Beaulieu’s property, this cemetery holds the remains of over 5000 citizens hailing from all parts of the United States and various foreign countries. Graves include famous Sonoma County . . . — — Map (db m54767) HM
The California Gold Rush of 1849 and San Francisco's Earthquake of 1906 spurred expansion, rebuilding and extensive timber processing in California.
Sturgeons Mill is a fine example of 1800's steam powered technology, providing lumber for early . . . — — Map (db m102509) HM
In 1913 Wade Sturgeon purchased 1850's sawmill equipment from the Korbel Brothers and operated the mill from 1914 through 1923 on Coleman Valley Road. It was then disassembled and moved seven miles inland by horse-drawn sleds and wagons to its . . . — — Map (db m102497) HM
Erected by General Mariano G. Vallejo about 1840 for the accommodations of emigrants and other travelers. Purchased in Gold Rush Days by Cooper and Spriggs, two retired sea-faring men and operated as hotel and store. Among first hostelries in . . . — — Map (db m15300) HM
This is the first stone winery building in California, and also the first “gravity-flow” wine building. The Count’s wine grapes were loaded directly to the back of the building’s second floor from the road , made into wine, then brought . . . — — Map (db m80733) HM
Birthplace of California wine. Founded in 1857 by Colonel Agoston Haraszthy, father of state’s wine industry. Limestone tunnels were dug into the hillside and vineyards were also established. Haraszthy toured Europe in 1861 to gather the cuttings . . . — — Map (db m80732) HM
Giovanni Minoggio and Giacomo Mazza, on land purchased from General Mariano Vallejo, built this plumstone building in 1870. When the railroad tracks were extended to Sonoma and the Sonoma train depot built across the street from the Mazza House, the . . . — — Map (db m78904) HM
This “modern brick building” with its distinctive cupola was built in 1891 by pioneer Sonoma merchant Frederick Duhring. It replaced the old Duhring Store, an adobe built in 1850 which had housed his mercantile established. In 1911 this . . . — — Map (db m54760) HM
A short distance down-stream from this spot, at the head of navigation on the banks of Sonoma Creek, an early landing place was established. From the 1830’s hides and tallow from the Pueblo of Sonoma were shipped to Yerba Buena , and goods and . . . — — Map (db m78551) HM
County Landmarks Commission
County of Sonoma
Harazthy Villa (sic)
This is to certify that the above historic site has been officially designated as a County Landmark by the Sonoma County Board of . . . — — Map (db m102579) HM
Two plaques have been placed at this memorial.
In This Cemetery is Buried
Capt. William Smith
Born in Virginia, November 14, 1768
Died in Sonoma, May 5 1846
Who served in the Virginia Navy during the American Revolution . . . — — Map (db m102559) HM WM
State Park Commission
Through Funds Furnished by
The General Vallejo Memorial Association
And the People of the State of California
Donors Names Within Building
Plaque donated by Historic Landmarks . . . — — Map (db m57667) HM
On July 4, 1823, Padre Jose Altimira founded this northernmost of California’s Franciscan Missions. The only one established under independent Mexico. In 1834 secularization orders were carried out by military Commandant Mariano G. Vallejo. San . . . — — Map (db m15273) HM
On this site, 4 July 1823, Padre Altimira, Lt. Castro and 19 armed men erected a cross, set a camp altar, consecrated the ground with a mass and fired a volley. Cline Ranch was then used as a preliminary scouting site and departure point for . . . — — Map (db m68145) HM
In this sacred grounds lie buried men, women and children of the local Coast Miwok, Patwin, Wappo and Pomo Tribes. They built, labored and died at Mission San Francisco Solano.
[A list of names of Native Americans buried here follows the . . . — — Map (db m15297) HM
This house was built by H.A. Green in 1847. Here John H. Nash was taken prisoner by Lieut. William T. Sherman in July 1847 for refusing to relinquish his post as Alcalde to Lilburn W. Boggs. It was restored in 1931 by Zolita Bates, Great . . . — — Map (db m15261) HM
This Monument was erected by the Native Sons of the Golden West and the State of California to commemorate the raising of the Bear Flag on this spot June 14, 1846 by the Bear Flag Party and their declaration of freedom of California from Mexican . . . — — Map (db m15268) HM
Built by 1846 Missouri emigrants John and Harriet Ray in 1847. After his success in the Rose Bar Gold Fields, the large adobe portion was added in 1849 by Indian labor to the wooden house on the east end. It was leased as headquarters for officers . . . — — Map (db m15253) HM
Home of Captain Salvador Vallejo. He was the brother of General Mariano G. Vallejo, Sonoma’s founder. Built by Indian labor, 1836 – 1846. Occupied by Captain Vallejo and family until Bear Flag Party seized Sonoma, June 14, 1846.
Cumberland . . . — — Map (db m15256) HM
Here is 1825 the Franciscan Fathers of San Francisco Solano Mission planted the first vineyard in Sonoma Valley. The grapes were used for making sacramental wines. After secularization of the Mission in 1835, General Mariano G. Vallejo, Commander of . . . — — Map (db m15302) HM
On this site between 1849 and 1957 stood the Union Hotel and Hall. Built by three veterans of the Mexican War, the hotel was a one-story adobe and the hall a one-story frame building. These were destroyed by fire in 1866 and replaced by two-story . . . — — Map (db m80731) HM
Erected in 1836 by General H. G. Vallejo. Headquarters of Bear Flag Party which on June 14, 1846 proclaimed a “California Republic” and raised the Bear Flag on Sonoma’s Plaza. Twenty three days later, July 7, 1846, Commodore John Drake . . . — — Map (db m15283) HM
The Sonoma Brewing Co., established under the leadership of John Steiner was promoted in the pages of the Sonoma Index-Tribune by its publisher Harry N. Granice, a major stock holder in the brewery. The brewery, which had one of the best equipped . . . — — Map (db m54577) HM
On January 2, 1976 the original depot was destroyed by fire. With the united efforts of the City of Sonoma, Sonoma Valley Historical Society and hundreds of interested and dedicated citizens, sufficient funds were collected to reconstruct the . . . — — Map (db m102578) HM
Sonoma Valley Women’s Club was founded September 21, 1901 by eleven local women led by Martha Stearns.
In 1911 the lot at 574-First Street East was purchased by S.V.W.C. from Katherine Poppe on which their club house was to be built. Funds for . . . — — Map (db m78923) HM
Constructed about 1850 by Don Salvador Vallejo. This adobe adjoined his first Sonoma dwelling built in 1836. Occupied by various pioneers. It was the house in 1861 of Dr. Victor J. Faure, vintner of prize winning wine made from grapes of the Vallejo . . . — — Map (db m15281) HM
Captain Granville P. Swift, great-gandnephew to Daniel Boone and early pioneer to California, spent his 21st birthday in 1842 building balsa reed rafts to float hides and tallow down the Sacramento River to Benicia to trade for supplies.
Swift . . . — — Map (db m80734) HM
This structure was erected in 1858 by Captain Granville R. Swift, a member of the Bear Flag Party. The stone in the building was quarried here by native Indian labor. General Persifor F. Smith, U.S. Military Commander-in-Chief in California, lived . . . — — Map (db m80735) HM
The Mission Trail marked the three hundred years of Spanish-Mexican settlement. It travelled as far south as Guatemala and traversed Mexico to advance through eleven of our present day United States. In 1823 Mission San Francisco Solano was founded, . . . — — Map (db m15294) HM
At this site, on July 4, 1823 Father Altimra set up a Camp Alter and planted the Holy Cross. The troops fired a volley, and the Padre sang in adoration of the cross. A Mass was celebrated in gratitude, and the place was named San Francisco Solano. . . . — — Map (db m15317) HM
This is the site of the Poppe General Store, law office and flats, portions of which date back to 1861, all of which were destroyed by a fire in 1911.
The following year this building was constructed as a law office, using fireproof concrete and . . . — — Map (db m66091) HM
This building is dedicated to Celso Viviani,
an Italian immigrant who came to Sonoma, California in 1910
Celso began making cheese in 1921 and started his cheese making business in 1931. He constructed this building in 1944 and opened the cheese . . . — — Map (db m15293) HM
This historic 1916 landmark, now the Sonoma Community Center, was the original home of the Sonoma Grammar School. It was purchased by Dr. Carroll Andrews and donated to the people of Sonoma in 1952.
The center is a non-profit run by a dedicated . . . — — Map (db m102581) HM
The Sonoma Index was founded in 1879 by Benjamin Frank. It is the successor to the Sonoma Bulletin (1852-1855), the first California newspaper published north of San Francisco.
The Index was purchased in 1884 by Harry H. Granice, maternal . . . — — Map (db m78925) HM
Original construction of store, library and dwelling which forms nucleus of this building in 1852 by Nathansons on land previously owned by Vallejo, this property was leased by Leiding to McKeague in 1877 and remodeled to become Eureka Hotel. 1886 . . . — — Map (db m15287) HM
Trinity traces its origins to St. Mary’s Hall, an Episcopal school for girls, established on the plaza by the Rev. John Leonard Ver Mehr on September 1, 1853, at the invitation of Sonoma founder Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo. During the next several . . . — — Map (db m15254) HM
This stone building, having withstood a fire and numerous earthquakes, was originally constructed in 1904 to house a brewery
During “Prohibition”, in 1931, Gaetano “Tom” Vella and his wife, Zolita, Clerici Vella converted . . . — — Map (db m78905) HM
Two markers are located at this same site.Main Marker:
A majestic work of art, 18 feet high 24-1/2 miles long, which extended east-west, near Freeway 101 at Cotati on private property of 59 ranches following the rolling hills, . . . — — Map (db m80697) HM
Shiloh Cemetery has long been a place of rest. The first recorded burial took place in the shadow of the area’s Methodist Church in October 1850. The church burned in 1867 and was relocated to Windsor, leaving the cemetery uncared for. In 1885 a . . . — — Map (db m54778) HM