Remember those who
The Living – The Dead
The POW – The MIA
They Will Not Be Forgotten.
Dedicated November 11. 1989
Founder Glen R. Perales Vietnam Vet
Sterling Pack • H. . . . — — Map (db m19462) WM
1 mile south of this spot is the site of Empire City. Founded 1850 by John G. Marvin . Head of navigation on the Tuolumne River, military supply depot and 2nd county seat of Stanislaus County. Destroyed by flood in 1861 – 62.
Dedicated Oct. . . . — — Map (db m19453) HM
Two miles south of this spot was the site of “Empire City,” located on the south bank of the river. Founded in 1850 by John C. Marvin. The town was head of navigation on the Tuolumne River. It was a military supply depot for Forts Miller . . . — — Map (db m20210) HM
On October 3, 1806 a military and missionary expedition, led by Gabriel Moraga, encountered a native tribe a mile or two upstream from what is now Knights Ferry.
This settlement, which became Buena Vista, was probably started by J.S. Grayson in . . . — — Map (db m42176) HM
Picturesque mining center and trading post, 1849, once called Dentville. Early ferry to the southern mines; county seat 1862-72; rare wooden covered bridge reputedly designed by U. S. Grant, brother-in-law of the Dent brothers, 1854; old flour mill, . . . — — Map (db m79384) HM
Knight's Ferry was founded by Captain William Knight, a member of Fremont's expedition of 1844. This town was a center of great mining activity and was a distributing point for the mother lode country.
In 1854 the first sawmill and flour mill for . . . — — Map (db m42195) HM
Founded in 1852. This grocery store has been in continuous operation sever since. Making it the oldest store of its kind in the state of California. It has survived several disastrous floods that struck this community. The old pot bellied stove at . . . — — Map (db m12932) HM
The Hook and Ladder Fire Wagon was purchased in New York, by Knights Ferry and shipped around the Horn. Arriving in San Francisco in 1872. On arrival it was “claimed” by a S.F. Fire Company. A delegation from Knights Ferry liberated the . . . — — Map (db m12945) HM
Built 1860's by Fred Miller; the finest bar, pool hall, card room, and dance hall in the area. Sold to R. V. Shaw in 1903 who operated a hotel here for years; later known as John Greenhalgh Hall. Napier family sold to the Knights Ferry History and . . . — — Map (db m42153) HM
The establishment of Estanislao Chapter 58 occurred on June 21, 1958. The inaugural meeting took place at the historic Tulloch Flour Mill in Knights Ferry under the direction of Noble Grand Humbug W.S. 'Walt' Hargrove. There were forty-eight . . . — — Map (db m42128) HM
In the late 1850’s David Loche built Knight’s Ferry’s first flour mill. It was destroyed by the flood of 1862, and a second new mill was built here by David Tulloch.
A dam upstream diverted water to a water wheel which turned the millstones. . . . — — Map (db m12928) HM
Mexican land grant. 11 Sq. leagues, - 48,887 acres - made to Francisco Rico and A. Castro on Dec. 29, 1843 by Gov. Micheltorena. Patent signed by Pres. A. Lincoln on Jan. 21, 1863. Abraham Schell bought 3½ leagues in 1863 and with George H. . . . — — Map (db m42103) HM
The township of La Grange, French for "The Barn," was established in 1852 near the Tuolumne River. By 1853 French, Chinese, Mexicans, Spanish and Americans were here to mine gold, farm and ranch. About 5,000 people lived in the area. In 1854 . . . — — Map (db m94797) HM
French settlers originally established the community of French Bar along the Tuolumne River in 1850. After the destructive floods of 1851-52, citizens of French Bar relocated one mile upstream above the flood plain. Renamed La Grange, the new town . . . — — Map (db m42578) HM
This area has seen four phases of mining – placer, tunneling, hydraulic, and dredging. This bucket, one of a chain of 100, holds 12 c.f. and is from one of the worlds largest dredges. The Tuolumne Gold Dredging Co. started operation of the . . . — — Map (db m94799) HM
In this stand of eucalyptus trees lie the remains of the La Grange Gold Dredge Co. Camp. Here unmarried miners lived in a small community while they operated huge dredging machines near and on the Tuolumne River. The camp was abandoned in 1951 when . . . — — Map (db m46325) HM
The original saloon on this site burned on January 13, 1897 as a result of a fire in the adjacent Coulter Hotel. The saloon owner Louis Levaggi, erected the present building the same year for 13,000. It was known as the “Metropolitan”. . . . — — Map (db m42575) HM
This is one of the oldest continuously occupied buildings in LaGrange. In 1857, Lodge #65 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of California was formed.
The Odd Fellows purchased the two story jail from the County in 1862 and it was used for . . . — — Map (db m94798) HM
Built in 1852 by the French inhabitants of the Township of La Grange and dedicated by the Catholic Church in 1854 as a mission.
It is the first church of any denomination in Stanislaus County. — — Map (db m42565) HM
Formerly at the foot of Main Street. Replaced one built in 1858, which burned in June, 1900. A few Clampers may have slept here, but Clampers helped restore this building in 1976. — — Map (db m42596) HM
This building, circa 1875, replaced the Branch District School that was built of rough lumber in 1855. Typical of the era, it is one room with handmade furnishings, porch and bell tower. A native of Iowa, C. C. Wright came here and began teaching in . . . — — Map (db m42562) HM
Behind this monument rests the historic Tuolumne Gold Dredge which started operation at Patricksville, just east of this location, on June 15, 1938. A Walter Johnson No. 52 Model, it floated on a self-created pond of water. It was larger than a . . . — — Map (db m7323) HM
Grant Post #9
1879 – 1938
This plot was dedicated to the GAR members of Grant Post #9 who fought for the Union during the Civil War of 1861-1865. The post was chartered in 1879 with ten members and grew to . . . — — Map (db m19455) HM
Originally called “Ralston” after the
founder who was too modest to permit
the use of his name, hence “Modesto”
Adamsville – 1854, Named after Doctor Adams, the only physician in the area.
Empire City – . . . — — Map (db m19506) HM
Formerly Independent Order of Odd Fellows (Wildey Lodge) Cemetery
The flagpole and bricks used in this monument are from the Hughson Hotel built in 1913 by Luella Hughson. This modern hotel had a 36 foot redwood flagpole where the American . . . — — Map (db m58587) HM
This silent tribute to the fallen heros
of Stanislaus County who gave their
lives for family and country that
Freedom and Peace may endure.
They bravely fought not for fame or
glory but for Liberty . . . — — Map (db m19482) WM
The first recorded burial here was in 1860, but oral history says there were burials as early as 1850. Veterans of wars and conflicts since the Civil War are also buried here. In 1890 a wooden sidewalk was built from downtown so that the ladies’ . . . — — Map (db m19458) HM
Honoring those who served, those who fought, and those who gave the last full measure of devotion to us, their families, and their Country. Their sacrifice is priceless, there courage supreme, and their devotion eternal. . . . — — Map (db m41094) HM
The McHenry Mansion, built in 1883 by Robert McHenry, prominent local rancher/banker, is a fine example of the Victorian Italianate Style of architecture. In 1923, it was converted into apartments and remained as such until 1976 when the Julio R. . . . — — Map (db m19470) HM
October 12, 1995
Betty Saletta, Sculptor
For much of our community’s history, the young person who delivered The Modesto Bee to our homes has been an enduring symbol of initiative and pluck. The paper boy . . . — — Map (db m19507) HM
On April 28, 1888 Simon Newman and the SP ran a special train from Oakland to bring potential land purchasers and investors. These were joined by the residents of Hills Ferry and the surrounding area. All who gathered enjoyed a huge barbecue and . . . — — Map (db m69132) HM
A local Indian word for "meeting place". Nearby are the famous Indian rocks and sycamore grove where mission padres met with the local Indian tribes. Visited by Lt. Moraga and Fr. Viader on October 25, 1810. Became a favorite watering place for . . . — — Map (db m61582) HM
West of this point is the California Aqueduct which parallels Interstate Highway 5 for about 250 miles in the San Joaquin Valley. The aqueduct is a major part of the California State Water Project operated by the State Department of Water . . . — — Map (db m54686) HM
Site of the town of Langworth. Founded in 1860 by Henry Langworthy It was on a branch of the old Mariposa Road that crossed the Stanislaus River at Islips Ferry. Was part of the 8 square league rancho granted by Mexico to A. B. Thompson in 1846. . . . — — Map (db m6365) HM
Original depot, brought from Peters, California in 1871 was place several feet south and east of present location. It was destroyed by fire. The new depot was built on its current site, adjacent to F Street between railroad tracks and East
The . . . — — Map (db m58874) HM
The narrow gauge railroad winding some 25 miles from Patterson through Del Puerto Canyon operated from Sept. 20, 1916 to August 14, 1920. During World War I, the railroad brought the much needed minerals of magnesite, manganese chrome and . . . — — Map (db m17968) HM
This bell was for many years at the honor farm at Frank Raines Park in the Del Puerto Canyon and was returned to Patterson because it was believed to be either the old Las Palmas School bell or the Presbyterian Church bell, both structures which are . . . — — Map (db m27357) HM
A 3 Sq. League - 13,340 acres - Rancho granted to Mariano and Pedro Hernandez on Jan. 20, 1844 by Gov. M. Micheltorina. Confirmed by the Land Commissioners on May 22, 1855 and by the U.S. District Court on Mar. 22, 1857. Patent issued by Pres. A. . . . — — Map (db m27312) HM
This building was constructed in 1921 by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation and served as a public library. In 1996 it was placed into the National Registry of Historic Places. The history of our community is preserved in this museum by the Riverbank . . . — — Map (db m19460) HM
Originally located 3/8 mile downstream, this ferry was first established by Dr. B. D. Horr about 1850. Later owned by Dickenson and by Osborn, it was purchased by John W. Roberts in 1862 and moved to this location in 1865. The ferry was the . . . — — Map (db m42598) HM
[A short walk starting on the eastern side of the Roberts Ferry Covered Bridge; walking south, crossing over to the western side and returning north. Interpretive markers are placed along both sides covering the timeline from the first people who . . . — — Map (db m42617) HM
Picturesque mining center and trading post, 1849, once called Dentville. Early ferry to the southern mines; county seat 1862-72; rare wooden covered bridge reputedly designed by U. S. Grant, brother-in-law of the Dent brothers, 1854; old flour mill, . . . — — Map (db m69734) HM