J.G. Buff, leader of the Washington City Mining Co., camped on this site from Oct. 21, 1849 to Dec. 31, 1849. While here guarding company goods, at what he called "his mt. lodge in prosperity", he aided, fed, and cheered many weary, hungry, and sick . . . — — Map (db m87733) HM
The Lassen Trail was named for Peter Lassen, a native of Denmark who obtained a Mexican land grant, n 1844, for 22,000 acres of land near Vina, where Deer Creek enters the Sacramento River.
Lassen was an inveterate trail blazer and inspired by . . . — — Map (db m88074) HM
"The top of this hill is a narrow flat surface -... the hill is covered with tent wagons, oxen, mules, horses, men women, and children; some camps are on either side of the road, for several miles back." - J. Goldbrough Bruff, Oct 21, 1849 . . . — — Map (db m87731) HM
"The view below and before us truly grand - - the lofty mountains the stupendous rocks with the deep but magnificent vale below ... renders this one of the finest and most picturesque views I ever beheld" - Henry Austin, Oct 21 1849 . . . — — Map (db m87743) HM
"We gained the summit of greatest elevation. ... here we found 8 dead oxen, 2 discarded wagons, pieces of others, clothing, & c, scattered around" - J. Goldborough Bruff, Oct 21, 1849
Trails West Inc., P.O. Box . . . — — Map (db m87741) HM
"There is an immense abyss on either side, we could look down thousands of feet. The side of the ridge seeming almost perpendicular" - Charles Glass Gray, Sep 29, 1849
Trails West Inc., P.O. Box 12045, Reno, NV 89510 . . . — — Map (db m87734) HM
"Could you see me I would not be recognized, dirty, filthy & ragged are fully equal in appearance (to) the natives excepting being in an entire state of nudity" - Wm. Steuben, Sep 20, 1849
Trails West Inc., P.O. . . . — — Map (db m87729) HM
The Yana Indians are a tribe who lived in northeastern California just east of the Sacramento Valley. There were four sub-groups who occupied different but adjoining tracts of land. They are the Northern Yana, Central Yana, Southern Yana and the . . . — — Map (db m88077) HM
Built on this site in 1882, the Miners Inn was the first hotel in Corning. It was purchased by Gustavus Liersch in 1884 & burned to the ground 15 years later, as did the rest of Corning in the Great Fire of July 5th, 1899.
It was then rebuilt by . . . — — Map (db m41889) HM
The Hotel Maywood. Built in April 1899 by Charles F. Foster, former two term sheriff of Tehama County, and Warren Woodson. The Hotel Maywood was the best hotel in Corning, located conveniently one block from the railroad depot and across the street . . . — — Map (db m51754) HM
The original Forward Brothers, Alfred T. and Frank, established the mill in 1908. The mill was moved from the original site which was where the Mt. Lassen Vineyards are now.
Alfred died in 1931 and Frank went on with the raising of livestock. At . . . — — Map (db m58584) HM
Prior to 1877, this site was owned by Wm. J. Harrison as part of a 63+ acre spread. In 1894 Harrison sold the property to his daughter, Anna Louise and her new husband, Archie delaMontnya for ten dollars gold. Archie and Annie raised four sons here; . . . — — Map (db m89147) HM
Manton by the 20th century had an estimated population of about 2,000 people. Logging, ranching, and the power company were the main sources of employment in the area. There were up to eight schools in the Manton area with an estimated 200 children . . . — — Map (db m89146) HM
Established in 1894, by James and Georgina Barham, The General Store supplied the town with food, clothes, hardware, gas and oil. Less and Lena Childs owned the store thru two world wars and the Depression, 1916-1945. When hard times came, Less . . . — — Map (db m46520) HM
In recognition of his contributions to the State highway system over a 42 year career and his leadership as District Engineer in establishing the Safety Roadside Rest Program in California.
Redding Rotary and Friends — — Map (db m1116) HM
Ken went to war against the Germans with the American Eagle Squadron in 1940. He became an ace before the U.S.A. entered the war against Germany.
He shot down 13 German aircraft in the war torn skies over England and France in World War II. Ken . . . — — Map (db m40422) HM
James E. Moore, the son of Irish immigrants, worked as a blacksmith in the logging camps of the late 1800's. It was there that he met his wife Mirah who was employed as a cook and laundress. In 1910 he founded Moore's Blacksmith Shop which served . . . — — Map (db m89148) HM
St. Peter's Episcopal Church formally organized as a mission in December 1888, this church building was completed and worship began May 1892. The building was consecrated in April 1895 by Bishop John H.D. Wingfield.
Plaque presented by Berendos . . . — — Map (db m40468) HM
This adobe house, built by William B. Ide reputedly about 1850, represents a typical frontier structure of the American Period. Ide, who came to California with his family in 1845, was the first and only President of the California Republic under . . . — — Map (db m10346) HM
Built about 1850 by General Ide who came to California with his family in 1845. Helped organize the revolt against the Mexican Mandate requiring Americans to leave California and was first and only President of the California Republic under Bear . . . — — Map (db m10345) HM
Tehama County's board of supervisors and other county officials first met in rented rooms in the Union Hotel, later called Heider House. The county seat remained here from May 1856 to March 1857, when it was moved to Red Bluff. The Heider House was . . . — — Map (db m110474) HM
Construction of the jail by Casper Cobb, began Sept. 9, 1884. Supervisor John Simpson was given credit for pushing the approval through the Board of Supervisors. On Oct. 6, the board accepted the completed building at a cost of $1,153. The jail was . . . — — Map (db m89181) HM
This turnstyle bridge served the California & Oregon Railroad Co. It was surveyed in September 1870 and was completed in August 1871. The bridge was first crossed by the steam locomotive "Falcon" and by the "Clipper" the following day with one . . . — — Map (db m89184) HM
"At Lassens ... saw many of the emigrants arriving here. They are broken down with the fatigue. Young men made old & stiff. Many dying with dysentary, fever, scurvey" - Pardon Tiffany, Oct 10, 1849
Guidebook available Tails West Inc. P.O. . . . — — Map (db m89185) HM
This monument was erected on the 75th anniversary of the date of its charter May 10-th 1923 by
Western Star Lodge
No. 2 F.& A.M.
of Shasta, Calif.
The oldest Masonic Chapter in Calif.
Granted May 10-th
By the Grand . . . — — Map (db m113893) HM