Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Ventura County California Historical Markers

 
“Fruit Brandy” Still and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Craig Baker, July 14, 2018
“Fruit Brandy” Still and Marker
California (Ventura County), Camarillo — “Fruit Brandy” StillPleasant Valley Museum
This "Fruit Brandy” still was donated by the Robert E. Nunn family. It had been on a ranch in the Santa Barbara area when Wm. Templeton [father of Beth Nunn, grandfather of Kevin and Kyle Nunn] rescued it. On display at the . . . — Map (db m134939) HM
California (Ventura County), Camarillo — 3 — Adolfo Camarillo Heritage GroveVentura County Landmark No. 3
Across Mission Oaks Boulevard, next to the 101 Freeway, remains part of a grove of Eucalyptus trees that once lined both sides of the old two-lane El Camino Real. In 1892, Adolfo Camarillo planted 650 of these trees, which stretched from Pleasant . . . — Map (db m130636) HM
California (Ventura County), Camarillo — 8 — Camarillo Ranch HouseBuilt in 1892
This grand three-story, 15-room home was built by Adolfo Camarillo in the Queen Ann Victorian style, using the plans of architects Herman Anlauf and Franklin Ward. The home features seven bedrooms, a grand staircase, a tower bay, a walk-in wooden . . . — Map (db m129517) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — 317 Central AvenueStephen's Grocery Store
Richard Stephen's Grocery Store was built in 1910. The original sidewalk, inlaid in tile with the name Stephen's, remains in the floor at the main entrance to the market. Located in the grocery store at the time was a small post office and a . . . — Map (db m131357) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — 320 Central Avenue
These structures were built in 1917. Early businesses included a hardware store, shoe store and bakery. For a short time it housed a three lane bowling alley. The building was also once a grocery store. In 1930, City Hall moved into the north half . . . — Map (db m131363) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — 328 Central AvenueGoodenough's Men's Store
Built in 1910 as Goodenough's Men's Store, this building served as the local men's clothing store until the mid-1980s. The building was then purchased and converted into a gun and sporting goods store. The building suffered moderate damage in the . . . — Map (db m131360) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — 338 Central AvenueThe Towne Theatre
The Towne Theatre was constructed of unreinforced brick in 1918. The single-screen theater was used to show silent movies and the stage area was used for vaudeville. Mary Pickford performed here. The theater was closed due to extensive damage from . . . — Map (db m131358) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — 340 Central Avenue
This building was constructed in 1915 in conjunction with the Towne Theatre and served as the center for recreation in Fillmore. The first floor of the building included a one-lane bowling alley, four pool tables and a soda fountain. The second . . . — Map (db m131365) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — 348 Central AvenueBallard Furniture
This store was completely rebuilt following the 1994 earthquake. The building has six apartments on the upper floor and a 'breezeway' to the rear parking lot. The Ballard Family has been in the furniture business for more than 60 years. This . . . — Map (db m131364) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — 362 Central AvenuePatterson Hardware
This hardware store was one of five owned by the three Hickey brothers of Ventura. The first location of this store was approximately 312 Central Avenue and was established by 1919. Harvey S. Patterson was the manager. Harvey S. and Edith . . . — Map (db m131361) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — 364 Central AvenueFarmers and Merchants Bank
This building is one of the oldest surviving structures in Fillmore, having been built in 1913. It was constructed for the Farmers and Merchants Bank, which then became Security First National Bank and later Security Pacific National Bank, before a . . . — Map (db m131362) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — 47 — Fillmore State Bank
This building was constructed in 1917 to house the Fillmore State Bank, which had been founded in 1905 by Judge Felix Ewing and John Carne. In 1927 it became the Bank of Italy; the name was changed in 1930 to Bank of America. In 1965 the building . . . — Map (db m77889) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — Fillmore's First Bank & Masonic Hall
Original Site of Fillmore's First Bank and Masonic Hall. Est. 1905 — Map (db m77901) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — 48 — Southern Pacific Depot
The Southern Pacific Depot was built in 1887 during the Southern California land boom of that decade. It was saved from demolition and moved to its present site in 1974 to become the Fillmore Historical Museum. This was done through the efforts of . . . — Map (db m132748) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — St. Francis Dam Disaster
Three minutes before midnight on the night of March 12, 1928, the St. Francis Dam collapsed sending over twelve billion gallons of water and debris the length of the Santa Clara River Valley from San Francisquito Canyon through Piru, Fillmore, and . . . — Map (db m123733) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — 59 — The Artists’ BarnProperty and Pepper Tree
“The Artists Barn” was established in 1936 by Mr. Lawrence Hinckley. The converted old redwood barn served for many years as an art center for Ventura County and drew national recognition. The barn and pepper tree date back to the late . . . — Map (db m135704) HM
California (Ventura County), Moorpark — 55 — Moorpark’s Community Church
This church is a unique combination of two historic buildings, the Epworth and the Somis churches. Retired Methodist ministers established the Epworth Colony in what is now the Fairview district of Moorpark. A small chapel was built in 1894 . . . — Map (db m131705) HM
California (Ventura County), Newbury Park — 659 — Stagecoach Inn
Originally located some 200 yards to the north, the Stagecoach Inn was built in 1876. Its redwood lumber came by sea and was freighted up the steep Conejo Grade by multi-team wagons. From 1887 to 1901, the hotel served as a regular depot for the . . . — Map (db m51035) HM
California (Ventura County), Newbury Park — 30 & 44 — Stagecoach Inn and Sycamore Tree
"The hotel was built by James Hammell as the Grand Union Hotel in 1876 and was often called the "Conejo" or "Big" Hotel. In 1885, the site was purchased by Cecil Haigh. In 1965, his grandson, H. Allen Hays, donated 4 acres and the hotel to the . . . — Map (db m78003) HM
California (Ventura County), Ojai — 12 — Ojai City Jail
The county built this jail in 1929. It housed over 650 inmates during its 50 years of use. — Map (db m119678) HM
California (Ventura County), Ojai — 5 — The Ojai Arcade
The Arcade was the inspiration of winter resident Edward Drummond Libbey of Libbey Glass in Ohio. He hired the architectural firm of Mead and Requa to design the arcade. Robert Winfield was the contractor. Libbey asked merchants to contribute $10 . . . — Map (db m117492) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — "La Jenelle"
Buried beneath this beach is the 467–foot hull of the “La Jenelle”. The luxury liner was driven aground at this site during a coastal storm on April 13, 1970. The State Lands Commission coordinated a joint federal, state and . . . — Map (db m102962) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — Petre Ranch HouseHeritage Square
The History. Archie Petre (pronounced Peter) came to Oxnard sometime before 1910 as a younger member of an extended family that included his brother-in-law and sister, George and Mabel Austin. Coincidentally, in those early years, the . . . — Map (db m130591) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — 17 — The Oxnard Pagoda
The pagoda was built in 1910 to house the pump which supplied water for irrigating the park. It was designed by architect Alfred J. Priest and built by Thomas H. Carroll, contractor. In 1911 the roof was raised to provide room for the band platform. . . . — Map (db m120957) HM
California (Ventura County), Piru — Governor Juan Alvarado
Granted the Rancho San Francisco on January 22, 1839, to Antonio del Valle, including 48,815 square acres. Jacoba Felz filed a claim against this grant, which was dismissed June 8, 1857. The Del Valle family chose Camulos as their home, which later . . . — Map (db m115807) HM
California (Ventura County), Piru — 624 — Portolá Expedition
On August 11, 1769, the explorers and priests accompanying Portolá found a populous village of Piru Indians near this point. Carrying their bowstrings loose, the Indians offered necklaces of stones, in exchange for which Portolá presented them with . . . — Map (db m117174) HM
California (Ventura County), Piru — 553 — Rancho Camulos
Rancho Camulos has been designated a National Historic Landmark This residential complex possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America Ygnacio del Valle established Rancho Camulos . . . — Map (db m51033) HM
California (Ventura County), Piru — St. Francis Dam Disaster90th Anniversary
This memorial is dedicated to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the St. Francis Dam Disaster. Just before midnight on March 12, 1928, the dam collapsed and sent billions of gallons of water down the San Francisquito Canyon, eventually meeting . . . — Map (db m134147) HM
California (Ventura County), Point Mugu — F-14 Tomcat
The F-14 Tomcat is a supersonic, two seat, twin engine, swing wing air superiority fighter designed and manufactured by Grumman Aerospace Corporation. In addition to its primary fighter role carrying AIM-7 Sparrow, AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles and an . . . — Map (db m120252) HM
California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — Alaska Flight 261 Memorial
January 31, 2000 at 4:22 PM, Alaska flight 261 ended off Anacapa Island. The flight was en route from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to San Francisco and Seattle. This monument honors and remembers for all time the eighty-eight passengers and crew members . . . — Map (db m136211) HM
California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — 32 — Bank of Hueneme
Constructed in 1925, this building served as the Bank of Hueneme until 1950. Myron Hunt, architect. — Map (db m129519) HM
California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — 37 — Hueneme Slough
W. B. Moranda Park was constructed over the former Hueneme Slough, or lagoon. High tides created this 8-acre body of water surrounded by cattails (tules) making it a haven for water fowl. The Ventura County Railroad crossed the slough on a trestle . . . — Map (db m136194) HM
California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — Olive
Olive TD-9 International Harvester Tractor with Bucyrus Erie Blade International Harvester (IH) began manufacturing tractors in 1909. From 1939 to 1959, IH produced the TD-9 tractor. IH built 59,800 of these models, which it produced at it’s . . . — Map (db m103004) HM WM
California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — 57 — Point Hueneme LighthouseHueneme: “Resting Place”
As early as 1857, the need for a lighthouse at Point Hueneme to mark the eastern Santa Barbara Channel entrance was recognized. In March 1873 Congress appropriated funds for a light station and a 60-acre lighthouse reservation at Point Hueneme. In . . . — Map (db m136203) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 996 — Birthplace of Union Oil Company of California — On the National Register of Historic Places —
Birthplace of Union Oil Company of California Founded October 17, 1890 Presented by the City of Santa Paula, California to Union Oil Company of California In Commemoration of the Company's 50 years of Service to the West August . . . — Map (db m51706) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 132 — Familia Diaz CafeFormerly Las Quince Letras
Jose Angel Diaz and Josepha de la Torre came to Santa Paula from Mexico with their parents. They met in 1916 while working at Limoneira Packing House, married in 1919 and started the first cafe at their home in 1935. In 1936 they moved into a . . . — Map (db m120829) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 1 — Faulkner House1894
This home was the culmination of George Washington Faulkner’s dream, expressed to his bride in 1876: "We will have to begin at the foot of the ladder and grow up with the country, but I think that in a few years we can have a beautiful home if . . . — Map (db m131410) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 727 — Portolá Expedition
On August 13, 1769 reaching the junction of the Arroyo Mupu with the river, the place was named the Holy Martyrs, Ipólito and Casiano. Upon founding the Mission of San Buenaventura, the priests established here an asistencia and christened it Santa . . . — Map (db m137825) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — Saint Francis Dam Disaster Memorial
Minutes before midnight on the chilly evening of March 12, 1928, the St. Francis Dam failed. The dam's 200-foot high concrete wall crumpled and collapsed, sending billions of gallons of raging flood waters down San Francisquito Canyon, about five . . . — Map (db m123933) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 9 — Santa Clara Schoolhouse
The Santa Clara School District was formed in 1879 when farmers in the area wanted a public school for their children. Members of the first Board of Trustees were Mathew Atmore, Ruben Hall and C.H. Chittenden. The first schoolhouse was built in . . . — Map (db m125568) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — St. Francis Dam Disaster
To honor victims of the St. Francis Dam Disaster, March 12, 1928. This monument of native stone was placed in respectful memory of the nameless souls whose unmarked graves rest in this hallowed ground. — Map (db m123934) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 756 — Sycamore Tree
In 1846 General John C. Fremont passed this site of the sycamore tree on his way to sign a treaty with General Andres Pico to secure California for future annexation to the United States. It served the Padres as a resting place; the community as a . . . — Map (db m114949) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 46 — Tanner HomesteadVentura County Historical Landmark #46
The west portion of this house, which was built in the 1870s, is the original Tanner Home. Albert Miles Tanner was a member of the Mormon Battalion at the time of the War with Mexico. He opened the first hotel in Sacramento with Sam Brannon. Later . . . — Map (db m131741) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 76 — The Ebell Club
The Ebell Club of Santa Paula was organized in 1913. It was the ninth chapter in California. In 1917, Alice Stowell McKevett donated land for Ebell Park and erected the first half of the building in memory of her husband, Charles M. McKevett. The . . . — Map (db m120828) HM
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — 939 / 52 — Grandma Prisbrey's Bottle Village
Grandma Prisbrey's Bottle Village This fantastic assemblage is one of California's remarkable Twentieth Century Folk Art Environments. In 1956, Tressa Prisbrey, then nearly 60 years old, started building a fanciful "village" of shrines, . . . — Map (db m51039) HM
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — 134 — Heritage OakQuercus Agrifolia
The Heritage Oak that stood on this site for more than 400 years was witness to the 4 historical periods of Simi Valley. From the Chumash Indians, to the largest land grant ever made to the Pico family in the Spanish period, through the pioneer . . . — Map (db m132651) HM
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — In Memory of Those Who Perished
In reverent memory of those who perished in the September 12, 2008 Metrolink Train Disaster, with hope and encouragement for those who survived, and with gratitude for the first responders for their heroism and compassion. — Map (db m114074) HM
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — 979 — Rancho Simi (1795)
This is the site of the headquarters of the Spanish Rancho San Jose de Nuestra Senora de Altagarcia y Simi. The name derives from "Shimiji," the name of the Chumash village here before the Spanish. At 113,000 acres, Rancho Simi was one of the . . . — Map (db m113178) HM
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — Ronald Wilson Reagan
I know in my heart that man is good at what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life. — Map (db m82161)
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — 29 — Santa Susana Railroad DepotCentennial Celebration 1903-2003
Built by the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1903 at Los Angeles Avenue and Tapo Street. Moved to its present site in 1975. Designated by the Ventura County Heritage Board in 1976 as County Historical Landmark 29. — Map (db m117586) HM
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — SilvertownCorriganville
This town site at Corriganville had many names in Hollywood including Dodge City, Mineral City, Tombstone, and Lone Ranger Ranch. For many of those who visited this town site, however, it was called Silvertown. Whatever the name, people came by the . . . — Map (db m118905) HM
California (Ventura County), Somis — 133 — The Somis School
The Somis School building is located on the former site of the Somis Methodist Church. It was built in 1924 to replace the older school building which became the Somis Thursday Clubhouse. Originally the school had only three classrooms. . . . — Map (db m134946) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — 10 — Civic CenterThousand Oaks
First City Hall built by the City of Thousand Oaks in 1973 to house administrative offices of the City and the Conejo Recreation and Park District. — Map (db m129362) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — 7 — Crowley House
The Crowley house was built in 1910 for Frank and Mae Crowley. In the 1920s, the home served as the sales office and dining venue for prospective home buyers interested in purchasing a home in the new development of Thousand Oaks. E.B. . . . — Map (db m134189) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — 4 — Hunt Olive Tree
Only surviving tree of an orchard planted by R.O. Hunt on the Salto Ranch which he established in 1876. — Map (db m128511) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — Joel McCrea Ranch
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m112694) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — JunglelandLouis Goebel
On this site Louis Goebel opened one of Southern California’s most popular tourists attractions. In 1925, Goebel purchased five lots for $50 along old Ventura Boulevard, which later became Thousand Oaks Boulevard. This land had formerly belonged to . . . — Map (db m128419) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — 5 — Lang RanchOakbrook Regional Park Archeological Area
Dating as far back as 12,000 years ago until the late 1800’s, Chumash people had established many villages and seasonal encampments in this area due to territorial and ritual privileges and the abundant source of food and water bestowed upon the . . . — Map (db m120179) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — Norwegian GradeHistorical Monument
Historic Norwegian Grade was built by hand between 1900 and 1911 using picks, shovels, farm equipment, and $60 worth of dynamite given by the County of Ventura. The grade was constructed by members of the Norwegian Colony and their hired help . . . — Map (db m122817) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — Pederson Ranch HouseCalifornia Lutheran University
When the college opened in 1961, the chicken coops located on the Pederson ranch were converted for campus use. F Building housed the campus coffee shop, which doubled as the cafeteria, and a full soda fountain, E Building served as the library; D . . . — Map (db m122761) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 632 E. Thompson BoulevardMitchell Block Historic District
This house, built in 1904 for Earl E. Barnes, has Classic Revival elements as seen in its flared hip roof, clapboard siding, and porch columns. The stained glass doors and windows, with the Mariposa Lily Design, are an original feature. This house . . . — Map (db m131216) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 682 East Thompson Boulevard
This house is one of eight structures comprising the Mitchell Block Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1905 by William F. Sittel who purchased the property from the Mitchell brothers, . . . — Map (db m130665) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 19 — Bard Hospital
Elizabeth Bard Memorial Hospital was built in 1902 by U.S Senator Thomas R. Bard for his brother Cephas L. Bard the County's first doctor. Dr. Bard was the hospital's first patient and died there four months after the hospital opened. This . . . — Map (db m130648) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 16 — Chumash Hutash FiestaSan Miguel Chapel
The Chumash Indians used this site to celebrate their Hutash Fiesta, held after the harvest each year towards the end of September. The Hutash Fiesta coincided with the Spanish Missionary's San Miguel Day giving the historic Chapel built on the site . . . — Map (db m124617) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 48 — Dacy Fazio House
Pioneer Ventura County rancher Orville A. Wadleigh built this craftsman bungalow ca. 1910 for his daughter Dacy Wadleigh Fazio, who lived in the home until her death in 1974. The adjacent carriage house/barn of board and batten construction is . . . — Map (db m130663) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 39 — Dr. Cunane House
This structure was the office and home of Dr. Thomas E. Cunane who established his practice in Ventura in 1899. The home was built in 1884 and is one of the few remaining examples of Queen Anne cottage architecture which was popular during that . . . — Map (db m131220) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114 — El Caballo
Friar Pedro Benito Cambón—the mission’s co-founder was highly regarded for his knowledge of irrigation, agriculture and building construction—directed Chumash laborers to build this filtration building in 1792 as part of the mission’s . . . — Map (db m124925) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 86 — Erle Stanley Gardner’s Law Office
Gardner (1889-1970) patterned the office of his character Perry Mason after his own office in Suite 306 of this building. Gardner, a resident of Ventura until 1933, is cited by the Guinness Book of World Records as the #1 best selling author of all . . . — Map (db m125569) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 15 — Groene Building
Originally the Ventura Guarantee and Loan Company, built in the 1920's is significant for its decorative tile, three interior pastoral murals by Norman Kennedy and grillwork on the balcony. The ceiling is pre-cast plaster and painted to resemble . . . — Map (db m130653) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 23 — Hobson Bros. Packing Company
This is the site of the Hobson Bros. Packing Company, established in the 1870's as Ventura's first slaughterhouse. The business provided sausage and cut meat for delivery to most parts of the County. The present structure was built in 1923 and . . . — Map (db m124610) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 70 — J.A. Day House759 East Poli Street
J. A. Day, was a prominent rancher in the Saticoy area and a local grocer. In 1889, he built this Victorian home, in the "Stick-Eastlake” style, The structure contains unique carpentry work, with a profusion of wood detail in the balusters . . . — Map (db m131214) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — Jack Rose
On this site in 1947, pioneer Veutura merchant Jack Rose built what was said to be the largest and most contemporary women's apparel store on the Pacific Coast. Designed by renowned architect Arthur Froehlich, the distinctive 36,000 square foot . . . — Map (db m131255) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 85 — Lavanderia
Beneath the floor of the rear portion of the Wilson Studio and Peirano Market lies a major segment of the Mission Lavanderia. Built to serve the Mission converts, it provided washing facilities for clothing and was part of an extensive aqueduct . . . — Map (db m129361) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 847 — Old County Court House
This imposing building was designed by Albert C. Martin and built in 1912 as the Ventura County Court House. It is an outstanding example of neo-classic architecture, considered the proper style for public buildings of the early 20th century. The . . . — Map (db m124508) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 115 — Olivas Adobe
This adobe is the only early two-story adobe in the Santa Clara River Valley. A small one-story adobe, built in 1837 was enlarged in 1849 by Don Raimundo Olivas: a prosperous cattle rancher. Continuous use has preserved the adobe for public viewing. — Map (db m51032) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — Olivas Adobe1837
The original small adobe on this site was built by Don Raimundo Olivas and his son, Nicolas, in 1837. The present structure was begun in 1847, with roof beams from the Santa Paula Canyon, and tiles made from native soil. Don Raimundo lived in this . . . — Map (db m51424) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114-1 — Rancho Cañada LargaMission Aqueduct
Rancho Cañada Larga o Verde, as it was originally known, came out of lands of the San Buenaventura Mission. Following Mexican independence from Spain, Joaquina Alvarado de Moraga, whose late husband, Gabriel Moraga, was a distinguished soldier of . . . — Map (db m124924) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 310 — San Buenaventura Mission AqueductSettling Tank
San Buenaventura Mission was an oasis of abundance. Visitors, including British Captain George Vancouver (1793) and the American California resident Alfred Robinson (early 1800s), commented on the good yield of the gardens and orchards. The nearby . . . — Map (db m135860) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 113 — San Buenaventura Mission Cross
. . . — Map (db m51031) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 52 — Sifford House
Built in 1895, this Colonial Revival home is a two-story box- shape featuring a distinctive half-circle entry onto the porch, a balcony, and a palladian window. It was occupied originally by Frank Sifford, owner of the Ventura Transfer Company, . . . — Map (db m131215) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — Site of the Mayfair Theater, 1941-2000Historic Point of Interest
This site was developed in 1941 with a 7,890 square foot, one-story structure known as the "Mayfair Theater". Architect S. Charles Lee, one of the most prolific and distinguished motion picture theater designers on the West Coast, designed the . . . — Map (db m130642) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 97 — The Arnold House
Former Ventura County Supervisor Mathew H. Arnold built this home for his wife Eliza in 1906. The Colonial Revival details include Doric porch columns, curved brackets under boxed eaves and unique detailing in front of the cottage windows. Notable . . . — Map (db m131252) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — The First Community
Near this site, the village of Shisholop, home to 300 to 400 Chumash, once stretched from the beach near the base of Figueroa Street inland past the San Buenaventura Mission. From its beginning, about 1000 AD., Shisholop (meaning . . . — Map (db m135241) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — The Flood of 1997: A Destructive Force
The low-lying Scorpion Valley has always been subject to flooding, but overgrazing by sheep increased the intensity.

One night in December 1997, over a foot of rain fell on eastern Santa Cruz Island, sending a torrent of mud and water . . . — Map (db m130657) HM

California (Ventura County), Ventura — 106 — The Hobart/Barr/Lucking Initial Residence c. 1898Registered Historical Landmark No. 106
This beautifully restored home shares an identical ownership as the contiguous Landmark No. 104, at 230 S. Ash Street, until 1957. Both homes were built by Frank and Julia Hobart and were owned by the Leonard and Clio Barr families until that year. . . . — Map (db m131447) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 104 — The Hobart/Barr/Lucking ResidenceRegistered Historical Landmark No. 104
This charming Colonial Revival residence was constructed between 1902 and 1905 and is an architecturally superlative example of the building styles characteristic of the transition from Victorian to Colonial during this time period. It is also . . . — Map (db m131445) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 24 — Ventura Theatre
Ventura joined the "movie palace era” of Hollywood with the grand opening of the Ventura Theatre on August 16, 1928. This lavishly decorated Mediterranean style theatre cost $400,000 to build, and created much excitement in our oil boom . . . — Map (db m131167) HM
California (Ventura County), Westlake Village — The Lone Oak
This monument is dedicated to the centuries-old heritage oak tree that once stood at this intersection. Thousand Oaks grew around this majestic tree and it became an enduring symbol of the region’s rural history. A replacement oak tree was planted . . . — Map (db m128508) HM
California (Ventura County), Westlake Village — Triunfo CanyonConejo Valley
For thousands of years, the Chumash Indians and their forebears lived in this valley. They have been described as a stone age people, hunters and gatherers, resourceful, friendly, fun-loving, astute traders, fine craftsmen, and expert rock artists. . . . — Map (db m128414) HM

89 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement