Browns Valley was an early stage stop and mining town sporting 5 hotels and 24 saloons. Freight wagons and mule trains loaded with supplies came up from Marysville with enormous loads of supplies destined for the mines and lumber camps in the high . . . — — Map (db m40153) HM
Maidu Indians had made this valley their home for generations until gold was discovered on the Yuba River, June 2, 1848, by Jonas Spect disrupting their way of life forever. Miners flocked to the area, mining up and down the banks of the Yuba. In . . . — — Map (db m40159) HM
Beyond this marker, the "head frame" for the mine still stands while most of the other structures were destroyed over time.
Extensive vertical shafts or "winzes" are honey-combed throughout the area, some of which are reportedly as deep as 1700 . . . — — Map (db m54217) HM
Donated to Yuba County, and opened in July 1928, this park is but a tiny remnant of the 10,000+ acres controlled by Wendell P. Hammon’s Dredging companies. He arrived in California in 1875 and by 1902 had developed the incredible machinery needed to . . . — — Map (db m40191) HM
Grandson of William Bull Meek; like his illustrious grandfather, Acton Cleveland served Camptonville very well over his lifetime. He operated the Meek Mercantile Store, became a Judge of the District Court, was a Deputy County Assessor, Post Office . . . — — Map (db m39816) HM
This 1854 A.J. Downing designed "Carpenters Gothic" is among the earliest such wood frame structures in the state. Built by Josiah Prentiss Brown, miner, 49er, local banker, multi-term state legislator and Commander of the Yuba Light Infantry, Co. . . . — — Map (db m39811) HM
In 1859 the rich Comstock Silver Lode was discovered in Washoe Territory, Nevada, causing many miners to quickly pack up and head east. Immediately a company was formed to construct a road connecting this area of California to the Comstock finds. . . . — — Map (db m65968) HM
Gravel Range Lodge No. 59 was granted dispensation on June 29, 1854. The charter was granted May 4, 1855. There was an original membership of 28 members. The first meetings were held over a store, which was later destroyed by fire. There were three . . . — — Map (db m61604) HM
Built in 1860, the Oregon Creek Covered Bridge was floated from its foundations by the flood waters from the breaking of English Dam in 1883. It was restored to place by using ox teams and log rollers, but turned end for end in the process. — — Map (db m65967) HM
Here lies a Clamper, and the namesake of Chapter 10, E Clampus Vitus; a long time resident of Camptonville, and pillar of community.
The chapter bearing his name was instituted on the second day of April in the year of our Clampatriarch Adam & of . . . — — Map (db m39810) HM
Built in 1858 by Joseph Wood using brick made on the site with native clay. The graceful style of architecture is unique in this region of California. The hotel was a favorite stage stop for wealthy ranchers. Mining and lumber men, President Ulysses . . . — — Map (db m65882) HM
Founded by Dobbins brothers in 1849. Site of hotel and store that was a celebrated
trading point in pioneer days. Site of many early day power companies that were
a source of electric power for a wide area. — — Map (db m54510) HM
The National Grange of the Order of the Patrons of Husbandry is a fraternal organization that encourages families to band together to promote the economic and political well-being of the community and agriculture and was founded in 1867. Loma Rica . . . — — Map (db m93917) HM
“Started for Marysville with good road at noon... hitched up and plodded on our dusty road to Marysville, where we arrived at 4 o’clock. This is a busy little place, but they had just had quite an extensive fire” – William . . . — — Map (db m113874) HM
Dedicated March 21, 1880, this building replaced the first temple built nearby in the early 1850s. It has been a Chinese community project since 1866, serving as a meeting hall, court, school, and place of worship. In this 'Palace of Many Saints,' . . . — — Map (db m11758) HM
The close proximity of the gold mines and the railroad construction contributed to Marysville’s large Chinese population in the mid to late 1880’s. When those activities diminished, the Chinese worked in various occupations, many as laborers . . . — — Map (db m65965) HM
Beautiful Ellis Lake and scenic surroundings
were made possible through the
foresight and enterprise of
W. T. Ellis
This plaque presented in honor of 65 years of
Public service on the 87th birthday of
W.T. Ellis, 3-17-53, by . . . — — Map (db m17742) HM
The Chilean Community of Northern California and the Consulate General of Chile in San Francisco present this plaque in honor of
José Manuel Ramírez Rosales
A Chilean 49er, pioneer, artist, visionary and co-founder of the City of . . . — — Map (db m55758) HM
Within these walls, on Jan. 22, 1896, Lord Sholto Douglas, theatrical entrepreneur, and son of the Marquis of Queensbury of Pugilistic fame, was initiated into the mysteries of ECV. Though Douglas went on to riches, subsequent publicity of his . . . — — Map (db m40152) HM
The Marysville Cemetery was founded in 1850 and is the final resting place for numerous personages of national, state and local historical significance.
On May 19, 1994 the State Historical Resource Commission declared the Marysville City . . . — — Map (db m65870) HM
Founded by the Marysville Hebrew Benevolent Society in 1853 to provide “...relief to the poor, needy, sick and the burial of the Jewish persuasion in Marysville and the vicinity.”
The cemetery was originally described as “One . . . — — Map (db m65871) HM
Built at the turn of the 19th Century, originally stood as a stable. Converted to a saloon in the early 1900's, it was also known as a "social club", frequented by ladies of the evening. During the last 40 years it has served as the Twin Cities . . . — — Map (db m54223) HM
The land on which Marysville was founded originally was leased in 1842 to Theodore Cordua a Prussian emigrant, by John A. Sutter. Named for his homeland, Cordua established a trading post and stock ranch on the Calif.-Oregon Trail to serve . . . — — Map (db m40146) HM
In 1895 pumps were installed at the confluence of the Yuba and Feather Rivers to protect the City of Marysville from the danger of flooding.
These pumps with a capacity to pump 18,265 gallons per minute, helped to keep Marysville dry during the . . . — — Map (db m17741) HM
We as a community have committed ourselves to honor our Veterans…the living and the dead.
We must embrace the fact that we are the benefactors of their sacrifices. We must also remember to honor the Veterans who gave the ultimate sacrifice . . . — — Map (db m40196) WM
1855. Largest town in eastern Yuba County, and at height of its prosperity contained a church, theater, stores, hotels, and saloons. Old Wells Fargo Office and Stewart Bros.; Store restored, 1928, and dedicated to pioneer men and women of Timbuctoo. — — Map (db m57629) HM
Erected 1850, the original structure was destroyed by fire in 1870, and rebuilt in 1871 by the citizens of Smartsville on the original foundation. At one time this church served 800 parishioners, mostly Irish Catholics employed at the Smartsville . . . — — Map (db m39828) HM
[ Inscribed on the monument: ]
To the Memory of the Pioneers who were buried here between the years
1844 – 1856
By the Grand Parlor
Native Sons of the
[ . . . — — Map (db m40633) HM
Chinese Pyre was used by the Wheatland Chinese Community during the 1870s – 1890s for funeral ceremonies. The pyre was used to burn precious paper believed to release the spirit to go on .
Rebuilt in 1978 by the Wheatland . . . — — Map (db m17715) HM
The first settlement reached in California by emigrant trains using the Emigrant (“Donner”) Trail. It was an original part of the 1844 Don Pablo Gutierrez Land Grant. It was sold at auction to William Johnson in 1854. In 1849 part of the . . . — — Map (db m10528) HM
Approximately 1 ¼ miles east of this site is the historic Johnson’s Crossing. This was the first settlement reached west of the Sierra and the last stop on the Overland Emigrant Trail. Used as a camping spot for the pioneers, departure spot for the . . . — — Map (db m10533) HM
The Graham Hotel was built in 1853 by Williamson Graham on the Bear River north of Wire Bridge. It was strategically located on the stage route from Sacramento to Nevada City by way of Johnsons Crossing and Round Tent.
A store was soon built . . . — — Map (db m40813) HM
”with practically no food for man or beast, and by bringing all the energy and courage which both men and beast possessed,…we succeeded in…reaching the first, or Johnston’s settlement.”
-Benjamin Hoffman, Sep 1, 1849 — — Map (db m40842) HM