Originated on the site of a U.S. Cavalry post established in 1880 at Hesperus. From 1891 until 1956 the old fort was operated as an Indian school, a vocational high school and a junior college.
The first president of the college was Charles . . . — — Map (db m22765) HM
Dedicated to Charles E. Bradshaw Jr. who established the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. Mr. Bradshaw saved the Silverton branch of the Denver & Rio Grande Western from abandonment in 1981 and preserved the Railroad as a National Historic . . . — — Map (db m71079) HM
In 1915, here at 10th and Main 20 year old Colorado native Jack Dempsey the “Manassa Mauler” knocksdown [sic] Andy Malloy in a ten round fight winning $50 and going on to become world heavyweight champion in 1919. — — Map (db m51813) HM
This man-caused forest fire burned 26,000 acres consuming approximately 150,000,000 board-feet of timber. Reforestation by direct seeding and planting of seedling trees was started in 1911 and continues today.
The project was financed by federal . . . — — Map (db m58966) HM
Built in 1892 by Senator Charles Newman, pioneer merchant, miner and legislator. He maintained his office here until his death in 1906.
Major Daniel L. Sheets, cattleman and member of Colorado’s second state legislature, operated the U.S. Land . . . — — Map (db m51814) HM
On August 10, 1776, there passed by here the expedition of Fathers Francisco Atanasio Dominguez and Silvestre Velez de Escalante with eight companions. They were seeking a route to link the long established missions of New Mexico with Monterey, the . . . — — Map (db m71613) HM
In 1776, Franciscan Fathers, Francisco Atanasio Dominguez and Silvestre Velez de Excalante and eight companions, explored what is now southern Colorado, Utah, and northern Arizona, as men of peace.
Between August and December, 1776, . . . — — Map (db m71615) HM
Between 1800 and 1850, the Old Spanish Trail became a regional trade route between Santa Fe and California.
Dominguez and Escalante traveled through this valley in 1776. Within twenty-five years of their expedition this trail became a . . . — — Map (db m71614) HM