Reportedly, in October 1899 Butch Cassidy and several members of the Wild Bunch, also known as the Hole-in-the-wall Gang, travelled through Grand Valley.
From 1889 to 1904 this band of deperadoes thrilled local citizens and terrified many . . . — — Map (db m104504) HM
William H. Bannister came from Molina, Colorado in the 1890s and in 1897,
bought an established furniture store and funeral parlor from M.O. Whitehead. At
the time, many furniture stores sold caskets and had an undertaker on staff.
W.H. . . . — — Map (db m120072) HM
Benge's store is the oldest shoe store in the state, possibly the oldest shoe store west of the Mississippi River. Founded in October of 1911, three generations of the Benge family have operated the business.
Founder Bertrand Benge moved from . . . — — Map (db m120051) HM
Lodge #575 was founded in 1900 by local drug clerk, 32-year-old J. Morrison Wohlfort. Before the present Lodge home was built, the founding Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks met in the I.O.O.F Hall at 454 Main Street.
Lodge #575 was . . . — — Map (db m120078) HM
Upon this site in October 1882
a vital cultural influence in the town
of Grand Junction was established by
the printing of the first newspaper ~
The Grand Junction News
Edwin Price, Editor — — Map (db m120052) HM
This building originally housed the Mesa Opera Rink, which opened in 1885. It offered a 300-seat playhouse for live theater, musical, and vaudeville acts. Ballroom dancing was on the large wooden "Rink" floor. In 1907, the front of the building was . . . — — Map (db m120045) HM
The Prinster family opened the first City Market Store in the back of this location with a storefront facing Fourth Street in 1924. By 1940, the Prinster Brothers built western Colorado's first supermarket one block to the north of this location. . . . — — Map (db m120073) HM
The first people to witness this view were probably Indians who had to scale the steep cliffs and talus slopes. Later, ranchers dug narrow passages up into the canyons to bring their cattle to graze in the rich highland trails below.
Begun during . . . — — Map (db m61910) HM
In the 1890s, Joseph and Albert Sampliner started a small business selling men's
fine clothing from a pushcart. The Sampliner cousins purchased their goods from
bankrupt dry good stores in the Red Mountain mining district.
The Sampliners . . . — — Map (db m120071) HM
An early stagecoach stop, The Grand Hotel, welcomed visitors with a tin-faced, two-story building, surrounded by shade trees, wooden sidewalks, and spacious lobby. In 1904 the building was purchased from William and Allie Neff and Anna Scott by . . . — — Map (db m120050) HM
William J. Moyer was one of Mesa County's leading businessmen and philanthropists. He arrived in Grand Junction in 1890 and opened the original Fair Store across the street in a room measuring 12 ft. x 20 ft. with $700 in stock. In 1904, Moyer . . . — — Map (db m120055) HM
This building was constructed in 1925, and served as an elementary school until
1965. It and the adjoining park, formerly known as Cottonwood, were named the
Whitman School and Whitman Park, in honor of frontier missionary Marcus
Whitman, who . . . — — Map (db m120079) HM