Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Connecticut

1860 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1660
 
Bethel Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Herrick, March 4, 2018
Bethel Marker
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bethel — Bethel
On Main Street at Chestnut Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street.
Bethel When this area was settled, soon after 1685, it was part of its present neighbor, Danbury. As population grew, residents petitioned the General Assembly of the Colony for parish status and a church closer than the center of Danbury. In 1759 . . . — Map (db m114646) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bethel — Bethel Railway Station - 1912
On Depot Place at South Street, on the right when traveling south on Depot Place.
The above photo depicts Bethel’s second train station that was completed in 1899 and provided passenger service until 1996 when a new station was constructed further north along the line. Bethel’s original train station occupied this same spot from . . . — Map (db m48431) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bethel — Bethel Soldier’s Memorial
Near South Street 0.1 miles from Rector Street, on the left when traveling west.
[ north face ] In Memory Of The Soldiers & Sailors Of Bethel Who Gave Their Lives In Defense Of The Union 1861 1865 [ south face ] Albert Woodruff   2nd Conn. Art. Adam Grimm   7th Conn. James Smith . . . — Map (db m26819) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bethel — Bethel World War I Monument
On Glenwood Avenue (Connecticut Route 302) at P.T. Barnum Square, on the left when traveling west on Glenwood Avenue.
Erected By The Community Association Of Bethel In Honor Of Her War Veterans 1928 — Map (db m21233) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bethel — In Memory of All Bethel Veterans
On School Street at Library Place, on the left when traveling west on School Street.
This monument is dedicated to the brave men and women of the town of Bethel who, in times of war and peace, have faithfully served their country. We honor and express gratitude for their courage and the sacrifices they made to keep America a free . . . — Map (db m21234) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bethel — Phineas Taylor (P.T.) Barnum
On Greenwood Avenue (Connecticut Route 302) at Library Place, on the right when traveling west on Greenwood Avenue.
Phineas Taylor (P.T.) Barnum Born Bethel, CT 1810 “I was born and reared in an atmosphere of merriment my natural bias was developed and strengthened by the associations of my youth; and I feel myself entitled to record the sayings . . . — Map (db m69926) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bethel — Plumtrees Honor Roll
On Plumtrees Road at Taylor Road, on the right when traveling north on Plumtrees Road.
Plumtrees Honor Roll Parmly Brown • John E. Nelson • Leland Grumman Jr. Warren Abrams • Arthur Appell • George S Bates • Thomas Bergstrom • Arthur C. Brown • Raymond Capellaro • George Cher • Michael Cher • Stephen Cher • Richard Collier • William . . . — Map (db m55005) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bethel — Plumtrees School
On Plumtrees Road at Taylor Road, on the right when traveling north on Plumtrees Road.
Plumtrees School The Plumtrees School was built in 1867 as a one room school house for the Plumtrees District of Bethel. The school served the community from 1867 through 1970. At its closing it was the last operating one room school house in . . . — Map (db m55006) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Abraham Lincoln’s Visit
On State Street at Markle Court, on the left when traveling east on State Street.
Abraham Lincoln visited this city Saturday evening March 10, 1860, and delivered a political address before a large audience of citizens in Washingtoh Hall which was then a portion of this building. This tablet is placed here in . . . — Map (db m91932) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Bridgeport
On Broad Street at State Street, on the right when traveling south on Broad Street.
Bridgeport "The Park City" The area that is now Bridgeport was settled in the mid-17th century by farmers from the older towns of Stratford and Fairfield. Centers of settlement were Stratfield, present North Avenue; Pembroke, now Old Mill Green; . . . — Map (db m91834) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Bridgeport Korean War Memorial
On Broad Street at State Street, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street.
Korea Memorial Freedom is not free I will never leave you or forsake you Hebrews 13 5 In my generation this was not the first occasion when the strong attacked the weak. Communism was acting in Korea just as Hitler, Mussolini and . . . — Map (db m91930) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Bridgeport Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
Near Waldemere Avenue near Park Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
[ south plaque ] Dedicated To The Memory Of The Heroic Men Of Bridgeport, Who Fell In The Late War For The Preservation Of The Union. July, 1876 "It is for us the living to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us, that from . . . — Map (db m27137) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Bridgeport Veterans Memorial
On Broad Street at State Street, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street.
This Tablet Is Dedicated To Bridgeports Sons And Daughters Who Gave Up Their Lives That The World Might Re A Better Place In Which To Live Agnew, James • Altman, Walter G. • Anderson, Martin A. • Armstrong, Thomas • Baltonsaita, Ignatz • Banks, . . . — Map (db m91929) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Bridgeport Vietnam War Memorial
On Broad Street at State Street, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street.
Vietnam This Memorial Is Dedicated To Those Who Have Given The Supreme Sacrifice To Their Country “If Ye Break Faith We Shall Have Died In Vain” Donated By Concerned Citizens Dedicated - May 29, 1983 ( left panel . . . — Map (db m91928) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Bridgeport World War II Memorial
On Broad Street at State Street, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street.
World War II Memorial To Those Who Made The Ultimate Sacrifice So That Others Would Live Aaron, William • Adams, Thomas • Adelman, Harold • Aitkin, Richard W. • Akalis, Anthony J. • Alderucci, Salvatore • Aleksiewicz, Stephen N. • Anagnos, . . . — Map (db m91973) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Bryant Electric Company World War I Monument
On Broad Street at State Street, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street.
In Recognition Of The Patriotism Of Our Employees Who Entered The Service Of Our Country During The Great War 1914 – 1918 The Bryant Electric Company — Map (db m91931) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Bryant Electric Company World War II Monument
On Broad Street at State Street, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street.
In Commemoration Of Those Employees Who Served In the Armed Forces of the United States During World War II 1941 – 1945 The Bryant Electric Company — Map (db m91927) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — City of Bridgeport 150th Anniversary
On Lyon Terrace at Golden Hill Street, on the right when traveling south on Lyon Terrace.
This Marker Commemorates The 150th Anniversary Of The City Of Bridgeport During This 150th Year The People Of Bridgeport Reflected On Their Past Celebrated Their Present Life Together, And Planned For A Future Full Of Hope And . . . — Map (db m91975) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — James Henry O’Rourke
On Broad Street at South Frontage Road, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street.
James Henry O'Rourke September 1, 1850 - January 8, 1919 ‘Orator Jim' O'Rourke, son of Irish immigrants, was a professional baseball player, scholar, and civil rights activist. The Bridgeport native had the first base hit in National League . . . — Map (db m91832) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — L’Ambiance Plaza Worker’s Memorial
On Golden Hill Street at Lafayette Square, on the right when traveling south on Golden Hill Street.
In Memory Of The Construction Workers Who Died at L’Ambiance Plaza April 23, 1987 Michael Addona • Augustus Allman • Glenn Canning • Mario Colello • Francesco D’Adonna • William Daddona • Donald Emanuel • Vincent Figliomeni • Herbert . . . — Map (db m91977) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Lewis Howard Latimer
On Broad Street at State Street, on the right when traveling south on Broad Street.
Lewis Howard Latimer September 4, 1848 – December 11, 1928 Considered one of the 10 most important black inventors in US history. Lewis Latimer was renowned for his work with the Edison Pioneers. Of his many inventions and patents, his most . . . — Map (db m91836) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Perry Memorial Arch
On Waldemere Avenue at Park Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Waldemere Avenue.
[Inscription on the street (east) side] This Memorial Arch was erected AD MCMXVIII to the memory of William Hunt Perry of Bridgeport Conn by his wife Harriet Adelaide Perry [Inscription on the park side] This Memorial . . . — Map (db m27166) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Pro Patria
Near Dewey Street near Maplewood Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
[ battle names on the banner at the top ] Fort Sumter • Vicksburg • Mobile Bay • Antietam • Gettysburg • Appomattox First Conn Cavalry Richard R Crawford   Lt D d Oct 30 1863 In Hospital Va Eugene W Starkweather   Corp L d . . . — Map (db m27213) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Roberto Clemente
Near Waldemere Avenue near Iranistan Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
Roberto Clemente 1939 – 1973 The test of mankind's progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little. By: the 200,000 Spanish citizens . . . — Map (db m27800) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — Tom ThumbCharles S. Stratton
Near Dewey Street at Maplewood Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
This monument is a memorial to Charles S. Stratton, a native of Bridgeport, who gained worldwide fame as Tom Thumb in the exhibitions of P.T. Barnum. The lifesize statue was erected before Tom Thumb's death on July 15, 1883. In 1959 vandals . . . — Map (db m27168) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Bridgeport — U.S.S. Maine Memorial
On Soundview Drive at Monument Drive, on the left when traveling west on Soundview Drive.
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th 1898 This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine — Map (db m27128) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Brookfield — Brookfield
On Whisconier Road (Connecticut Route 25) at Obtuse Hill Road (Connecticut Route 133), on the right when traveling north on Whisconier Road.
Brookfield Parish of Newbury The land which comprises the geographical area of Brookfield belonged to the towns of Danbury, Newtown, and New Milford. In 1754 the Parish of Newbury was incorporated by decree of the General Assembly with boundaries . . . — Map (db m35170) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Brookfield — Brookfield Veterans Monument
On Whisconier Road (Connecticut Route 25) at Long Meadow Hill Road, on the right when traveling north on Whisconier Road.
Dedicated to the Men and Women of Brookfield who Served in our Country’s Armed Service in Defense Of our Freedom — Map (db m21230) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Brookfield — First Settlement 1710
On Whisconier Road (Connecticut Route 25) at Obtuse Hill Road (Connecticut Route 133), on the right when traveling north on Whisconier Road.
First Settlement 1710 Newbury Parish Incorporated 1754 Town of Brookfield Incorporated 1788 Pioneer Families Dunning • Peck • Hawley • Smith • Northrop • Ruggles • Dibble • Merwin • Baldwin • Blackmanstarr • Wheeler Presented By E.A. . . . — Map (db m70962) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Cos Cob — Cos Cob
On East Putnam Avenue (U.S. 1) at Sinawoy Road, on the left when traveling north on East Putnam Avenue.
1640   1990 Cos Cob The name "Cos Cob Neck" was recorded in 1686. Six Cos Cob roads, including the present Orchard and Bible Streets, were laid out during 1689 northward from the Main Country Road (US 1) into "ye wilderness". A packet boat . . . — Map (db m38750) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Cos Cob — Second Oldest Cemetery in Greenwich
On Strickland Road at Loughlin Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Strickland Road.
The Second Oldest Cemetery in Greenwich Laid out by the Selectmen 1723 – 24 Historic Society Town of Greenwich 1982 — Map (db m38745) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Cos Cob — The Cos Cob Art Colony
Near Strickland Road at River Road, on the right when traveling south.
The Cos Cob Art Colony During the early 1890s American impressionist artists John H. Twachtman and J. Alden Weir began teaching summer art classes here in Cos Cob to students of New York's Art Students League. Edward and Josephine Holley ran the . . . — Map (db m38747) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 27 — 19th & 20th Century Immigrants– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Deer Hill Avenue at West Street, on the right on Deer Hill Avenue.
The potato famine of 1846-1851 brought large numbers of Irish immigrants to town. Many purchased homes in the Town Hill neighborhood and St. Peter Church became a focal point for the community. Germans immigrants were the first major group to . . . — Map (db m71353) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 248 Main Street
On Main Street at Library Place, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
About This Building 248 Main Street This handsome Victorian Romanesque building was built as the new headquarters for the Danbury National Bank in 1887. The architect, Warren Biggs of Bridgeport, used stone from Massachusetts. The building . . . — Map (db m72859) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Black Soldiers Memorial
On Ellsworth Avenue 0.1 miles west of Summit Street when traveling north.
Dedicated to the Memory Of the Black Soldiers of Greater Danbury who Served in the 29th and 30th Regiments, Conn. Volunteer Infantry During the Civil War 1861 – 1865 [ Names inscribed on the back ] 29th Conn . . . — Map (db m23052) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Boston & Maine ALCO 2-6-0 Mogul 1455
Near White Street at Balmforth Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Boston & Maine ALCO 2-6-0 Mogul 1455 This steam locomotive was built by the American Locomotive Company in 1907 for the Boston and Maine Railroad, eventually ending up on the Cape Cod Railroad. It was still pulling commuter trains from Boston’s . . . — Map (db m89544) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 5 — Charles Edward Ives – The Father of Modern Music– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at Library Place, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Charles Edward Ives, the ‘Father of Modern Music,’ was born in Danbury on October 20, 1874 to a prominent New England family who were leading citizens of he community. His grandfather, George White Ives, founder of The Savings Bank of Danbury, was . . . — Map (db m71183) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 31 — Country Lanes & City Streets– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Wooster Street at Deer Hill Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Wooster Street.
Many Danbury land records were destroyed during the British raid of 1777. Historic newspapers, old deeds and early maps help us piece together some of the earliest place names of our city. Parts of Danbury were lost to Bethel when it broke . . . — Map (db m71348) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — CV Flatcar
Near White Street at Balmforth Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
CV Flatcar Built in 1923 this flatcar ran on the Central Vermont Railway. It was used at the Bullard Steel Mill in Bridgeport, CT. during the end of its active railroad life. The museum restored this car after purchasing it in 1997. Please note the . . . — Map (db m89541) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Danbury
On Main Street at Wooster Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
Marker Front: Eight families came from Norwalk in 1685 to settle this area which the Indians called Pahquioque. They built their first homes a half mile south of here and made this green their common. The General Court in October 1687 . . . — Map (db m22836) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 13 — Danbury – The Hat City– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at West Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Although local folklore credits a man by the name of Zadoc Benedict with the start of hatting in Danbury after the Revolutionary War, hatters are thought to have been at work in the Danbury community before that time. After the Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m71237) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Danbury 9-11 Memorial
On Main Street at Wooster Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
Dedicated in loving memory to Connecticut victims of the terrorist attack on the United States September 11, 2001 Mayor Mark D. Boughton Danbury 9-11 Memorial Committee September 11, 2004 — Map (db m22833) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Danbury Area Korean War Memorial
On Memorial Drive at South Street (Connecticut Route 53), on the left when traveling south on Memorial Drive.
Korean War 1950 – 1953 to those who died Honor and Eternal Rest to those still missing Rememberance and Hope to those who returned Gratitude and Peace [Inscribed on the left panel] Danbury . . . — Map (db m23404) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Danbury Area Vietnam War Memorial
On South Street (Connecticut Route 53) at Memorial Drive, on the right when traveling east on South Street.
1964 Vietnam War 1975 Dedicated this 29th day of May 1988 by the people of the greated Danbury area to those men and women who served their country during the Vietnam War. This memorial symbolizes the courage and sacrifices made by . . . — Map (db m43312) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Danbury City Hall Wall
On Main Street at West Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Between 1886 and 1970 the Danbury City Hall was situated in the site of the present library courtyard. This wall, part of the original structure, stands as an enduring symbol preserving our City’s historic heritage. — Map (db m22790) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 9 — Danbury Disasters– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Crosby Street near Main Street, on the left when traveling west.
When the Kohanza Reservoir Dam gave way on the night of February 20, 1869, sixty acres of water, ice, lumber and debris roared down north Main Street. It took shops, homes, bridges and factories with it and several lives were lost. A combination . . . — Map (db m72857) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 19 — Danbury During the Revolutionary War– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street 0.1 miles north of South Street, on the right when traveling north.
On April 26, 1777, 2,000 British soldiers, under the command of General Tryon, marched into Danbury. The town was a supply depot for military stores. A Corps of Artificers; skilled craftsmen, such as blacksmiths, were formed into special . . . — Map (db m72558) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 10 — Danbury Fair Days– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at Library Place, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
The origins of the Danbury Fair began in 1821 when the Fairfield Agricultural Society held gatherings in Elmwood Park on Main Street. The event gave farmers an opportunity to discuss farming methods and showcase the fruits of their labor. Hat . . . — Map (db m71186) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 23 — Danbury Firsts– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On West Street at Foster Street, on the right when traveling west on West Street.
• First recorded census taken in 1756, Danbury’s population: 1,527. • Danbury’s first mayor, elected in 1888, was Lewis LeGrand Hopkins. • The first train arrived on the tracks of the Danbury & Norwalk Railroad on March 1, 1851. • Wakefield . . . — Map (db m71346) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Danbury Veterans Monument
On Memorial Drive at South Street, on the left when traveling south on Memorial Drive.
Center Marker:In Honor of The Men and Women of Danbury who served in the World War 1917 – 1919 In Memory of these men who made the supreme sacrifice for liberty Toby Asmar Co. M. 325th Infantry Killed In Action . . . — Map (db m23084) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 22 — Danbury Women of Note– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On West Street at Foster Street, on the right when traveling west on West Street.
Throughout its history, countless women have contributed to Danbury and the lives of its citizens. Here are just a few that have left their mark on our community. Mary Bull (1812-1882) dedicated her life to attending the poor and needy of . . . — Map (db m71247) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Danbury World War II Memorial
On Memorial Drive 0.1 miles south of Lions Way, on the right when traveling south.
In Memory of All Danbury World War II Veterans This memorial is in honor of all of World War II Veterans who were involved in the fight for the freedom of America and the free world. Whether they fought in the Pacific or European . . . — Map (db m23398) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Danbury Yard Turntable
Near White Street at Balmforth Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Located opposite from where you’re standing stood the roundhouse and adjoining machine shop facility for the Danbury Yard. Built in circa 1914 the structure had 9 stalls for storage, servicing and performing light repairs to the many locomotives . . . — Map (db m89546) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — David Wooster Monument
On Ellsworth Avenue 0.1 miles west of Summit Street, on the left when traveling north.
[ North face ] David Wooster First Maj. Gen. of the Conn. Troops in the Army of the Revolution. Brig. Gen. of the United Colonies. Born at Stratford, Mar. 2, 1710-11. Wounded at Ridgefield, April 27, 1777, while defending . . . — Map (db m23074) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 28 — Diversity in Danbury– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Deer Hill Avenue at West Street, on the right when traveling north on Deer Hill Avenue.
The start of the 20th century saw a continual influx of newcomers to Danbury. A religious census taken in 1916 showed that 27 nationalities and 20 creeds were represented among the 22,533 residents of the town. The 1910 census shows that a . . . — Map (db m71473) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 26 — Early Arrivals– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Deer Hill Avenue at West Street, on the right when traveling north on Deer Hill Avenue.
The first eight families arrived here in 1685; full of hope as they embarked on a new life filled with opportunity. Others soon joined them in this flourishing settlement in a newly born colony. Most of Danbury’s inhabitants, prior to the . . . — Map (db m71352) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 17 — Elmwood Park– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at Boughton Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
In 1801, Mr. Major Starr donated the land necessary to take a large curve out of Main Street on condition that it serve as a permanent common. To this end, residents from the southern end of the street raised their own funds and created Elmwood . . . — Map (db m71476) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 29 — Farming & Agriculture– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Deer Hill Avenue at George Street, on the right when traveling north on Deer Hill Avenue.
During the colonial period, agriculture was the principal occupation in Danbury. The daily tasks of our early settlers included clearing land, raising cattle, growing wheat, rye, corn, beans and squash. Broad flat tracts of fertile ground in . . . — Map (db m71351) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 34 — Higher Education– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On White Street at Main Street, on the right when traveling west on White Street.
Continuing educational opportunities have long been available in Danbury. In the late 1800s, the Stillman’s Business College, at the corner on Main and White Streets, offered classes in penmanship, commercial law and bookkeeping. The Danbury . . . — Map (db m71136) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Historic SiteDanbury’s First Episcopal Church
On South Street at Main Street, on the left when traveling east on South Street.
Historic Site Danbury’s First Episcopal Church occupied this site from 1763 until 1884. In 1777, British troops, led by General Tryon, took military stores from the church and burned them in the nearby street, but spared the edifice. Three . . . — Map (db m72562) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 32 — Industrial Strength Danbury– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Wooster Street near Grand Street, on the right when traveling east.
The artificers, who produced and distributed goods for the army during the American Revolution, may have fueled the start of Danbury’s early manufacturing activities. During the years following the war, Danbury began its transition from a . . . — Map (db m71474) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 30 — Inventions & Innovations– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Deer Hill Avenue near Wooster Street, on the right when traveling north.
Over 300 patents were issued to residents of Danbury between 1800 and 1890, one of the earliest was issued to D. Hoyt in 1838 for a door hinge. Many inventions can be attributed to progress and practical conveniences including an oven, a . . . — Map (db m71350) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — John W. Leahy
Near Main Street at South Street, on the right when traveling north.
John W. Leahy 1895 – 1975 A showman whose genuine love and understanding of people endeared him to the hearts of young and old alike. By his personal warmth, imagination, and drive, he built the Danbury State Fair into a nationally . . . — Map (db m72861) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 2 — Kenosia & Candlewood– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at West Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Lake Kenosia, said to originate from a Native American word meaning pike or pickerel, is part of the Still River waterway. This popular local park has always played an historic role as a recreational gathering place for Danbury residents. In . . . — Map (db m71239) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 12 — Marian Anderson– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at Library Place, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Marian Anderson was born in Philadelphia on February 27, 1897. Although her early musical training was sporadic, a scholarship enabled her to study abroad under distinguished teachers. When Arturo Tosacnini heard her perform at the Salzburg . . . — Map (db m71188) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Meeker's Hardware
On White Street near Lee Hartell Drive, on the right when traveling west.
Business Established 1883 Building Completed 1889 Originally four Stories Fire 1896 — Stone Excavated 1976 Meeker 1889 — Map (db m120540) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Monument to Soldiers in Unknown Graves
On Ellsworth Avenue 0.1 miles west of Summit Street, on the left when traveling north.
[ Front ] In Memoriam Danbury’s Memorial To Her Soldiers and Sailors Who Rest on Unknown Graves [ Left column ] William Pendley Co. L 1st Ct. Cav. Eli W. Stevens Co. L 1st Ct. Cav. William R. Potter . . . — Map (db m23051) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 25 — Monumental Moments– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On West Street at Terrace Place, on the left when traveling west on West Street.
There are monuments located throughout our city that serve as a reminder of those who have served our country. The dedication of the Civil War Soldier’s Monument took place on May 27, 1880 in City Hall Square. The 32-foot high granite monument . . . — Map (db m71246) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — NYC Crane, “GCT-1”
Near White Street at Balmforth Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
NYC Crane, “GCT-1” Built in 1914 by Industrial Crane Works of Michigan, it is 90 feet long and is capable of moving 100 tons. It moved using third-rail power, but crane operation was powered by several large batteries on the roof. The . . . — Map (db m89542) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 21 — Old City Center Square– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at West Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
City Hall Square, the intersection of Main and White Streets has been a central focal point for public activities and structures since the late eighteenth century. In the 1880s it became the center of Danbury public life. The old City Hall, that . . . — Map (db m71243) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Old Danbury Station
Near White Street at Balmforth Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Old Danbury Station Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department Of The Interior 1903 — Map (db m89540) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Oldest Cemetery 1684
On Wooster Street 0.1 miles from Main Street, on the left when traveling west.
Oldest Cemetery 1684 Danbury Erected by Mary Wooster Chapter N.S.D.A.R. — Map (db m23050) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 3 — Savings Bank of Danbury at Bankers’ Row– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at Chapel Place, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
An important aspect of Danbury’s growth as a regional center was the proliferation of banks. The Savings Bank of Danbury began conducting business in 1849 when George W. Ives set up shop in the Ives homestead on Main Street. As noted by James M. . . . — Map (db m71138) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 16 — Schools and Education– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at State Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
Since its earliest days, the importance of education has been at the forefront of the development of the community. In 1763 the will of Comfort Starr left 800 pounds “for the support of a perpetual school in the centre of town.” By . . . — Map (db m71477) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
On West Street at Division Street, on the left when traveling west on West Street.
[ Inscribed around the bronze base ] Dedicated to the Soldiers and Sailors of Danbury 1776 1861 1898 1917 Donald E. Curran SCMap (db m22785) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Sybil Ludington
On Main Street at West Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Sybil Ludington On April 26, 1777 this brave sixteen year-old girl rode through the enemy-infested countryside for thirty miles in Putnam County, New York, to warn the local militia that British troops were attacking and plundering Danbury, . . . — Map (db m25374) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 33 — The Circus Comes to Town– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at Wooster Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Danbury was home to several early pioneers of the American circus in the mid 1800s. In fact, Aaron Turner, proprietor of one of the earliest American traveling shows, was actually P.T. Barnum’s mentor. From 1836 to 1838, Barnum traveled with Aaron . . . — Map (db m71475) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 18 — The Danbury Court House– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at Wooster Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
Danbury’s first courthouse was built in 1785; complete with old stocks and whipping posts near the front entrance. These were dispensed with when the city’s second courthouse was built in 1824. Civic events and elections were held in the . . . — Map (db m72557) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 11 — The Danbury Fire Department– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
Near Ives Street at Railroad Place, on the right when traveling south.
The first reference to a fire department in Danbury can be found in The Republican Journal newspaper printed on November 11, 1793 announcing, “A subscription has been set forward in this town for the purpose of procuring a Fire . . . — Map (db m71137) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 20 — The Danbury Public Library– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at West Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
In 1771, the Reverend Ebenezer Baldwin drew up terms for a subscription library that would be free to all denominations. Between 1793 and 1856, several other libraries were formed and disbanded. In 1869 the present Danbury Library was . . . — Map (db m71244) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — The Danbury Raid
On Main Street at Wooster Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
The revolutionary village which centered about this green with its stores of supplies for the army was sacked and burned by a force of two thousand British April 26, 1777 Warned of the gathering militia the raiders departed next . . . — Map (db m23542) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 7 — The News Around Town– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street near Elm Street, on the right when traveling south.
The first newspaper printed in Danbury was called The Farmer’s Journal and the year was 1790. By 1837, The Danbury Times was churning out a weekly paper on a small wooden press that printed one side of a page at a time. During the Civil . . . — Map (db m71135) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 4 — The Seal of the City– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at Library Place, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
On April 19, 1889, Governor Morgan Bulkley signed a document granting Danbury official designation as a City within the State of Connecticut. Plans were immediately underway to create a city seal. Committee member Henry Hoyt was assigned the . . . — Map (db m71181) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 1 — The Settling of Danbury– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street at West Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
In the spring of the year 1685, the first permanent settlement of Danbury was made. The eight determined families of Samuel Benedict, James Benedict, Thomas Barnum, Judah Gregory, Thomas Taylor, John Hoyt, Francis Bushnell and James Beebe settled . . . — Map (db m71240) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 24 — The Sporting Life– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On West Street at Foster Street, on the left when traveling west on West Street.
historic newspapers reveal that sports have long been an outlet for both competitive and recreational gatherings in our city. Local coverage of amateur, club, factory, and school competitions were a regular feature. Early baseball games were . . . — Map (db m71245) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — To Our BrothersDefenders of The Union
On Main Street at West Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
(front) To Our Brothers, Beloved, Honored, Revered Who Died That Our Country Might Live (back)The Defenders of The Union (Inscribed around the column) Bull Run • Wilderness • Antietam • Fredericksburg • Gettysburg • . . . — Map (db m22788) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 6 — Trains, Trolleys & Transportation– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Main Street near Library Place, on the right when traveling south.
On March 1, 1852, the first train on the tracks of the Danbury & Norwalk Railroad pulled into the Main Street depot, located on the site of the present Post Office. The venture consisted of three locomotives, six passenger cars, twenty-four . . . — Map (db m71184) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route
On Main Street 0.1 miles north of South Street, on the right when traveling north.
French General Jean Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau, and thousands of French ground and naval forces arrived in Newport in July of 1780 to assist the Americans in the War for Independence. After wintering in Newport, Rochambeau’s . . . — Map (db m72560) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — Wilton Semaphore
Near White Street at Balmforth Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
Wilton Semaphore This semaphore, once located at the Wilton, CT. railroad station on the Danbury branch, played a vital role in keeping trains moving safely. Similar to a traffic light, the semaphore made sure one train wouldn’t run into another . . . — Map (db m89545) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Danbury — 8 — Wooster Square– The Museum in the Streets – — Danbury, Connecticut —
On Kennedy Avenue at Main Street, on the left when traveling east on Kennedy Avenue.
The intersection of Main Street with White and Elm Streets, known as Wooster Square became an increasingly important section of town with the completion of the Danbury and Norwalk Railroad depot on Main Street in 1851. As the main route through . . . — Map (db m72855) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Darien — Darien
On Renshaw Road at Park Place, on the right when traveling west on Renshaw Road.
Darien Originally part of Stamford, this area became Middlesex Parish in 1737. It was incorporated as the Town of Darien in 1820. Settlement had begun about 1700 when the first roads were cut “in the woods.” In 1703 a school district . . . — Map (db m80136) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Darien — Darien Civil War and World War I Memorial
On Renshaw Road at Park Place, on the right when traveling west on Renshaw Road.
(left plaque) Civil War (1861 – 1865) Carl Acherman • James H. Bates • Lewis H. Benedict • Joseph Bushy • Nathan R. Byxbee • Charles H. Clock • Horace Curtis • Phillip Fortune • Michael Harmo • Frederick Henderson • William H. Howe • . . . — Map (db m80179) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Darien — Darien Combat Wounded Veterans Monument
On Renshaw Road near Park Place, on the right when traveling west.
Dedicated to All Men and Women Wounded In All Our Wars Combat Wounded Veterans They Paid For Our Freedom With Blood All Gave Some Some Gave All Erected by the Homer Lee Wise Chapter 1932, Military Order of the Purple Heart, . . . — Map (db m80261) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Darien — Darien Korean War and Vietnam War Memorial
On Renshaw Road at Park Place, on the right when traveling west on Renshaw Road.
(left plaque) Korean War (1950 – 1953) George R. Broadhurst • James A. Dooley, Jr. • Eugene Murphy • Julius C. Nacci • Robert J. Perkinson (center plaque) Vietnam War (1959 – 1975) Alan L. Diedricksen • John B. Giesen, Jr. • . . . — Map (db m80259) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Darien — Darien World War II Memorial
On Renshaw Road at Park Place, on the right when traveling west on Renshaw Road.
World War II (1941 – 1945) Sanford Adams • Eric Allen • William A. Aycrigg II • Elton S. Barrett • Orrin K. Boice • James Butts • Joseph A. Chase • Peter T. Chester • Horace G. Cleveland III • Louis Cotaling • David O. Devlin • Anthony R. . . . — Map (db m80180) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Darien — Oscar E. Peck
On Post Road (U.S. 1) at Hecker Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Post Road.
Civil War In Memory Of Oscar E. Peck Dedicated – 2012 Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient Powder Boy – U.S. Navy – U.S.S. Varuna “For conspicuous gallantry and intredidity at risk of life above and beyond . . . — Map (db m80265) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Darien — Ring’s End Landing
On Rings End Road at Pear Tree Point Road, on the right when traveling east on Rings End Road.
Ring’s End Landing Earlier Called Clock’s Landing Trading Center Of Middlesex Parish Part of Stamford from 1641 until Incrporated as Town of Darien May 20, 1826 Presented by Kiwanis Club of Darien As part of 150th . . . — Map (db m80305) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Darien — Spring Grove Cemetery Veterans Memorial
On Post Road (U.S. 1) at Hecker Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Post Road.
(inscribed around the base) Dedicated to the Veterans of the Nation 1861 • 1898 • 1917 — Map (db m80263) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), East Norwalk — A Calf Pasture Primer
On Calf Pasture Beach Road, on the right when traveling north.
Norwalk’s first European settlers grazed their cattle on this property – hence the name “Calf Pasture.” Among these earliest arrivals was Matthew Marvin, who moved to Norwalk in 1651 (the year the town was founded). His son, . . . — Map (db m53465) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), East Norwalk — Harvesting from the Sea
On Calf Pasture Beach Road, on the left when traveling east.
Year-round at Calf Pasture, you’ll see people reaping the bounty that Long Island Sound provides. You can participate too, but be sure to first obtain the required permits and then obey all applicable requirements and restrictions. These measures . . . — Map (db m53470) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), East Norwalk — Lifeguarding History
On Calf Pasture Beach Road, on the left when traveling east.
By the late 1800s, swimming (or “bathing” as it was known as then) had become an extremely popular recreational activity in America. In the 1910s, the American Red Cross and Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) responded to the . . . — Map (db m53471) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), East Norwalk — Roger Ludlow
On Gregory Blvd. at Marvin Street, in the median on Gregory Blvd..
This stone, erected December, 1895, commemorates the purchase from the aboriginal inhabitants, made February 26, 1640-1, by Roger Ludlow, Deputy-Governor of the Colony of Connecticut, framer of its first Code of Laws, and Founder of Norwalk, of . . . — Map (db m53440) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), East Norwalk — Taylor Farm Park
On Canfield Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
This 30-acre open space is what remains of the former Marvin-Taylor farm property, a spread that once was called “one of the fairest domains in Southern New England.” Descendants of one of Norwalk’s earliest residents, Matthew Marvin, . . . — Map (db m53466) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), East Norwalk — The British Invasion
On Calf Pasture Beach Road, on the right when traveling east.
In early July 1779, British General William Tryon led 2,600 British and Hessian soldiers on raids down the Connecticut shoreline to punish residents for their “ungenerous and wanton insurrection” against the Crown. They destroyed homes, . . . — Map (db m53442) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), East Norwalk — The Marvin Property
On Calf Pasture Beach Road, on the right when traveling north.
Marvin Elementary School stands on the site of the former homestead of the Marvin-Taylor family, who lived in the 19-room farmhouse for more than 130 years. William Marvin, an ancestor of one of Norwalk’s earliest settlers, built the house in 1836 . . . — Map (db m53468) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Easton — Easton
On Center Road at Morehouse Road, on the right when traveling east on Center Road.
[ front ] Easton North Fairfield, a part of the town of Fairfield, was purchased from the Aspetuck Indians in 1670 for thirty pounds and an amount of trucking cloth. In 1762 the Connecticut General Assembly established the parish of . . . — Map (db m30939) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Easton — Easton Remembers
On Stepney Road (Connecticut Route 59) at Sport Hill Road, on the left when traveling north on Stepney Road.
1914   1919 Easton Remembers The Great War These Served Dr. C. Lincoln Banks • Frank G. Davis • Howard Elderd • Marna W. Gilbert • Carlton, Gordon • Victor E. Gustafson • Andrew Jaros • John G. Keller • Joseph H. Keller • Daniel Klein • Fred . . . — Map (db m30943) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Easton — Easton World War II & Korean War Monument
On Center Road at Morehouse Road, on the right when traveling east on Center Road.
Lest We Forget In Memory Of The Easton Veterans Of World War II And Korea Albers, Jack • Allen, G.I. • Allison, Robert • Anton, Richard • Anton, Robert C. • Baksay, John Jr. • Ballantyne, Arthur S. • Ballantyne, James R. • Barbieri, Frank E. • . . . — Map (db m30941) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Andrew Roland House
On Old Post Road at Oldfield Road, on the right when traveling west on Old Post Road.
Built By Andrew Roland And His Wife Elizabeth Daughter of Governor Fitch 1760 Their Son Saw the British Land And Gave the Alarm — Map (db m65124) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Andrew Ward Memorial
Near Beach Road at Sunnieholm Drive, on the left when traveling west.
In memory of Andrew Ward Born in England 1597 One of the founders of Wethersfield and Stamford ——— An honored citizen of Fairfield Conn. where he died in 1659 ——— Member of a Commission . . . — Map (db m27172) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Burr Homestead
On Old Post Road 0.1 miles west of Beach Road, on the right when traveling east.
Home Of Thaddeus And Eunice Dennie Burr Here Dorothy Quincy and John Hancock President Of The Continental Congress Were Married in 1775 Burned By British in 1779 Rebuilt in 1790 — Map (db m27371) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — David Ogden House
On Bronson Avenue at Cemetery Road, on the right when traveling north on Bronson Avenue.
. . . — Map (db m27419) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Dr. Hosea Hurlburt House
On Hillside Road 0.1 miles north of Cherry Lane, on the left when traveling north.
Home Of Dr. Hosea Hurlburt 1753 Surgeon in Connecticut Continental Line — Map (db m27565) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Fairfield
Near Beach Road 0.1 miles west of Sunnieholm Drive, on the left when traveling west.
Marker front: In 1639 Roger Ludlow and five companions, after serving in the Pequot War, purchased from the Indians a rich and abundant expanse of land which they called by the Indian name "Uncowaye." Shortly thereafter the name "Fairfield" . . . — Map (db m27176) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Fairfield Boulder
On Old Post Road at Beach Road, on the left when traveling south on Old Post Road.
This boulder commemorates the settlement of Fairfield by Roger Ludlow in 1639 and the burning of the Town by the British July 8, 1779. From the founding of the Town the religious, military and civic life of the people has centered . . . — Map (db m27227) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Fairfield Honor Roll
On Old Post Road at Beach Road, on the left when traveling south on Old Post Road.
Fairfield Honor Roll In Honor of the Men and Women who Have Served In World War I   World War II   Korea   Vietnam   Persian Gulf [ far left panel ] Korea   [ 559 names listed] [ left panel ] World War I   [ . . . — Map (db m27370) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Fairfield Revolutionary War Memorial
On Beach Road at Sunnieholm Drive, on the left when traveling west on Beach Road.
1775   1783 In everlasting memory of the Patriots and Soldiers of Fairfield who served in the War of the American Revolution ——— Erected by the Eunice Dennie Burr Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution A.D. . . . — Map (db m27171) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Fairfield Sons Memorial
On Pequot Avenue at Old Post Road, on the left when traveling north on Pequot Avenue.
In Grateful Loving Memory Of All Fairfield Sons Who Have Laid Down Their Lives For Our Country World War I World War II Korea Vietnam Dedicated Nov. 11, 1988 Southport, Conn. — Map (db m27151) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Fairfield Vietnam War Memorial
On Old Post Road at Beach Road, on the left when traveling south on Old Post Road.
This Memorial is hereby dedicated to the men and women who honorably served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America during the Vietnam War December 22, 1961 – May 7, 1975 May their sacrifices for human rights never be . . . — Map (db m27229) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — George Hull Home Lot
On Old Post Road at Oldfield Road, on the left when traveling west on Old Post Road.
Site Of Original Home Lot Of George Hull 1590 – 1659 Farmer, Trader Judge, Surveyor And Legislator — Map (db m27373) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Isaac Tucker House
On Beach Road 0.1 miles west of Sunnieholm Drive, on the right when traveling west.
Built By Isaac Tucker -- 1766 – Left standing when the British burned Fairfield — Map (db m27158) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — John J. Sullivan(1906 – 1997)
Near Beach Road near Sunnieholm Drive, on the left when traveling north.
This building is renamed and dedicated in honor and memory of Fairfield's first Selectman John J. Sullivan (1906 – 1997) Who spent 24 years (1959 – 1983) as town leader. Our town was his life. He lived his . . . — Map (db m27225) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Jonathan Sturges Cottage
On Mill Plain Road at Mill Plain Green, on the left when traveling north on Mill Plain Road.
Jonathan Sturges Cottage Built 1840 Has Been Designated A National Historic Landmark This Building Possesses National Significance In Commemorating the History of The United States of America 1994 National Park . . . — Map (db m27375) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Men of Greenfield Hill
On Bronson Avenue 0.1 miles north of Verna Hill Road, on the right when traveling north.
In Memory Of The Men Of Greenfield Hill Who Fought In The American Revolution John Alvord • Benjamin Banks 4th • Daniel Banks • David Banks • Ebenezer Banks Esq. • Ebenezer Banks • Elijah Banks • Eliphalet Banks • Gershom Banks • Gershom . . . — Map (db m27420) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Moorlandsc. 1836
On Beach Road 0.1 miles west of Sunnieholm Drive, on the left when traveling west.
Former site of the Buckley Tavern, c.1750 — Map (db m27157) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Nathan Bulkley House
On Beach Road at Sunnieholm Drive, on the right when traveling west on Beach Road.
Built 1750 By Nathan Bulkley Pre-Revolutionary Spared By British When Town Was Burned — Map (db m27153) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Pequot Swamp Fountain
On Center Street at Harbor Road, on the left when traveling east on Center Street.
. . . — Map (db m27377) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Reverend John Jones Memorial
On Beach Road at Sunnieholm Drive, on the left when traveling west on Beach Road.
In memory of Revd John Jones AB   MA The Revd John Jones was born in Southampton England in 1595 and was a graduate of Queens College Cambridge A Puritan divine of the Church of England he was the first pastor of the . . . — Map (db m27174) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Roger Ludlow
On Post Road (U.S. 1) at North Benson Road, on the right when traveling south on Post Road.
. . . — Map (db m27141) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Site of "Verna"
On Bronson Avenue 0.1 miles from Verna Hill Road, on the right when traveling north.
Site of "Verna" Home of Timothy Dwight Chaplain in Continental Army Pastor of Greenfield Founder of Academy Poet of "Greenfield Hill" President of Yale 1795 - 1815 — Map (db m27421) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Site of Old Tavern of Greenfield
On Meeting House Lane 0.1 miles west of Hillside Road, on the left when traveling east.
Site of Old Tavern Of Greenfield 1792 – 1812 At the Sign of The Black Horse Here Rufus Putnam, Tallyrand, Don Juadenes, Rufus King, Joel Barlow and Tapping Reeve Were Guests — Map (db m27563) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Site of Trinity Church
On Mill Plain Road at Sturges Road, on the left when traveling north on Mill Plain Road.
Site Of Trinity Church 1790 – 1844 Rev. Philo Shelton Rector For Forty Years First To Be Ordained By First American Bishop Samuel Seabury — Map (db m27376) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Southport Wharves
On Harbor Road at Center Street, on the left when traveling south on Harbor Road.
From The Wharves Of Southport Went Out Men Who Fought Under John Paul Jones Isaac Hull And John Barry — Map (db m27147) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Thomas Sherwood Memorial
Near Beach Road at Sunnieholm Drive, on the left when traveling west.
In memory of Thomas Sherwood 1586 – 1655 Puritan – Pioneer – Ancestor A founder of New England A first settler of Fairfield Deputy to the General Court Committeeman Soldier of the Pequot War and his wives . . . — Map (db m27173) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Fairfield — Up This Road
On Beach Road at Sunnieholm Drive, on the left when traveling west on Beach Road.
Up this road 2600 British Troops marched July 7th 1779 under command of General Tyron and burned Fairfield — Map (db m27155) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Byram Veterans Memorial
On Delavan Avenue at Mead Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Delavan Avenue.
In Memoriam Dedicated To The Honor And Sacrifice Of The Men And Women Of Byram Who Served In The Armed Forces In Defense Of Our Country Erected by the People of Byram 1953 — Map (db m38728) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Founders and Proprietors Monument1640 - 1935
On Maple Avenue at East Putnam Avenue (U.S. 1), on the left when traveling east on Maple Avenue.
In memory of the courageous men who founded the first settlement of the Town of Greenwich in the Connecticut Colony July 18-1640 Everardus Bogardus • John Bowers • Robert Feaks • Jeffre Ferris • Angell Husted • Robert Husted • . . . — Map (db m18669) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — George Washington Paused Here
On East Putnam Avenue (U.S. 1) at Maple Avenue, on the left when traveling north on East Putnam Avenue.
George Washington Paused here on the Post Road near this church, on October 16, 1789 and afterward wrote in his diary, "the superb landscape which is to be seen from the meeting house is a rich regalia". In Commemoration Of this . . . — Map (db m38428) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Greenwich Ninth District Veterans Memorial
On Glenville Road at Pemberwick Road, on the right when traveling east on Glenville Road.
Erected In Memory Of The Men From The Ninth District Greenwich, Connecticut Who Served In The Armed Forces And Paid The Supreme Sacrifice For Their Country Anthony J. Balco • Joseph T. Borowiec • Domenico S. Crucitti • Harold A. . . . — Map (db m38713) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Greenwich Veterans Monument
On Greenwich Avenue at Havemeyer Place, on the right when traveling south on Greenwich Avenue.
In Reverent Memory Of Those Men From The Town of Greenwich Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice World War II Korea Vietnam [ flagpole base in front ] World War II Adams, John P. Jr. • Anderson, Leslie B. • Arthur, Chester H. • . . . — Map (db m38425) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Greenwich World War I Memorial
On Greenwich Avenue at Arch Street, on the right when traveling south on Greenwich Avenue.
[ south side ] In Honor of The Men and Women Of Greenwich Who Served In The World War [ east side ] In Memory Of Those Who Died And an Inspiration To All Who Follow [ west side ] Second Battle . . . — Map (db m38427) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Old Greenwich Yacht Club
On Tods Driftway.
On July 18, 1640, Daniel Patrick and Robert Feaks landed on these shores in the name of the New Haven Colony to start a new settlement, later called Greenwich. This neck of land is called Elizabeth’s Neck after Mrs. Feaks. The anchor above this . . . — Map (db m2048) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Putnam Cottage
On East Putnam Avenue (U.S. 1) at Park Place, on the left when traveling north on East Putnam Avenue.
Putnam Cottage From Here Gen. Putnam Escaped the British By His Famous Ride Down "Put's Hill" — Map (db m38606) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Putnam's Escape
On East Putnam Avenue (U.S. 1) at Old Church Road, on the left when traveling north on East Putnam Avenue.
This Marks The Spot Where On February 26, 1779 General Israel Putnam, Cut Off From His Soldiers And Pursued By British Cavalry, Galloped Down This Rocky Steep And Escaped, Daring To Lead Where Not One Of Many Hundred Foes Dared To . . . — Map (db m38607) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Raynal C. Bolling
On Greenwich Avenue at Arch Street, on the right when traveling south on Greenwich Avenue.
[ front ] Bolling [ back ] Raynal C. Bolling Born September 1, 1877 Foresaw His Nation's Call to Arms And Left a Brilliant Career To Prepare Himself for Service In the World War Colonel of Aviation American . . . — Map (db m38426) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument
On Maple Avenue at East Putnam Avenue (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling north on Maple Avenue.
Greenwich. To her loyal sons who fought for the Union, 1861-1865. — Map (db m37440) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Greenwich — The Old Burying Ground — At Byram Shore —
On Byram Shore Road at Byram Dock Street, on the left when traveling south on Byram Shore Road.
The Old Burying Ground At Byram Shore Is Recognized For Its Historic Importance By The Historical Society Of the Town of Greenwich and The Byram Garden Club May 1999 Greenwich Landmark — Map (db m38732) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Barton L. Weller
On Monroe Turnpike (Connecticut Route 111) at Church Street, on the left when traveling north on Monroe Turnpike.
May 27, 1991 This gazebo is presented to the citizens of Monroe by the Weller Foundation, Incorporated in memory of Barton L. Weller (1916 – 1990) Mr. Weller, founder of Vitramon, Incorporated and the Weller Foundation, . . . — Map (db m26097) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Birdsey’s Plain / Stepney Cemetery
On Pepper Street at Green Street, on the right when traveling north on Pepper Street.
Stepney 1794 Birdsey’s Plain / Stepney Cemetery Noah and James Burr, Jr. donated this land for a burial ground. Over 1,400 men, women & children are interred including many of the areas first settlers. Veterans include: . . . — Map (db m25329) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Birdsey’s Plain Methodist Church
On Pepper Street at Main Street (Connecticut Route 25), on the right when traveling north on Pepper Street.
[ South side ] Stepney 1839 Birdsey’s Plain Methodist Church (Our Lady of the Rosary Chapel) This Greek Revival-style church, one of the “twin” churches on the Stepney Green, was built by Hanford Hull. This . . . — Map (db m25331) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Birdsey’s Plain Stepney Baptist Church
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 25) at Green Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
[ North side ] Stepney 1848 Birdsey’s Plain Stepney Baptist Church This two-story Greek Revival-style church was built under the direction of Hanford Hull, a noted joiner. The congregation was formed by the unification . . . — Map (db m25340) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Bridgeport / Newtown Turnpike
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 25) 0.1 miles north of Knollwood Street, on the right when traveling north.
Stepney 1801 Bridgeport / Newtown Turnpike The forerunner of CT Route 25. Five toll stations were located along this road. Travelers would be stopped by a pole or “pike” across the road attached to a base. Upon paying a few . . . — Map (db m25342) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Burr Hawley & Burritt General Store
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 25) at Easton Road (Connecticut Route 59), on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Stepney ca 1855 Site of the Burr Hawley & Burritt General Store At this site farmers assembled horse teams & wagons to bring milk to the milk station & to buy feed, hay and grain; residents purchased sewing supplies, groceries & . . . — Map (db m25338) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Monroe
On Monroe Turnpike (Route 111) at Church Street, on the left when traveling north on Monroe Turnpike.
[ front ] Monroe On May 23, 1823 the General Assembly granted the incorporation of this town and named it in honor of the then President, James Monroe. The town’s roots, however, are much deeper as it was an offspring of the mother-town . . . — Map (db m26096) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Monroe Korean War Memorial
On Monroe Turnpike (Connecticut Route 111) at Fan Hill Road, on the left when traveling north on Monroe Turnpike.
In Honor Of All Those Men And Women Who Proudly Served Their Country During the Korean War June 25, 1950 --- July 27, 1953 From Monroe Died in Battle Master Sgt Ray C. Bailey U.S. Army Oct 19, 1952 Wounded in Battle Corp. Albert . . . — Map (db m26093) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Monroe Veterans Memorial
On Fan Hill Road at Church Street, on the left when traveling north on Fan Hill Road.
[ Left column] To All Of Those Veterans From The Town of Monroe Who Served Their Country: Honor, Hope, Remembrance, Gratitude, Peace And Eternal Rest [ Right column] Those Who Have Made the Supreme . . . — Map (db m26095) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Monroe World War I Memorial
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 25) at Pepper Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
In grateful recognition of the valor and devotion of the young men of this community who served in the World War for liberty and justice 1914 – 1919 Adams Fred Leroy • Anderlot William • Bachman George • Beardsley L Ben • Beardsley Ray . . . — Map (db m25332) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Monroe World War I Memorial
On Monroe Turnpike (Connecticut Route 111) at Fan Hill Road, on the left when traveling north on Monroe Turnpike.
In Grateful Recognition Of the Valor and Devotion of The Young Men of this Community Who Served in the World War For Liberty and Justice 1914 -- 1919 Adams Fred Leroy • Anderlot William • Bachman George * • Bachman John Jr • . . . — Map (db m26091) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Monroe World War II Memorial
On Fan Hill Road at Monroe Turnpike (Connecticut Route 111), on the left when traveling south on Fan Hill Road.
1941   1945 Dedicated to Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice Victor Sippin David P. Winspur And to All Those From The Town of Monroe Who Served Our Country In World War II Sponsored by The American Legion Post #176 . . . — Map (db m26094) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Original Bell of Stepney Baptist Church
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 25) at Green Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Original Bell Of Stepney Baptist Church In Service From 1885 to Sept. 9, 1964 — Map (db m25341) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — PFC John K. Goett
On Monroe Turnpike (Connecticut Route 111) at Fan Hill Road, on the left when traveling north on Monroe Turnpike.
Dedicated To PFC John K. Goett Who Gave His Life And All Those From Monroe Who Served During the Vietnam conflict From 1964 – 1973 Dedicated Nov. 11, 1984 — Map (db m26092) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Stepney Fire House #1
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 25) at Mill Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
Stepney 1916 Stepney Fire House #1 The first volunteer fire company in Monroe included 45 men. The group’s 1st fire truck was purchased 2nd hand from a Bridgeport fire-fighting company with money raised in part from the proceeds of the annual . . . — Map (db m25343) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — Stepney Schoolhouse
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 25) at Purdy Hill Road, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Stepney ca 1830 Stepney Schoolhouse The one-room district schoolhouse was the cornerstone of CT public education until the 20th century. Students of all ages were taught by one teacher and often supplied their own books & writing slates. This . . . — Map (db m92003) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Monroe — The Rochambeau Route 1781 – 82
On Monroe Turnpike (Route 111) at Moose Hill Road, on the right when traveling north on Monroe Turnpike.
The Rochambeau Route 1781 – 82 In the Vicinity French Troops Under Duc De Lauzon Enroute From Newport To Yorktown Encamped During June 29 Through July 1st 1781 Erected by The Sons of the American Revolution Gen. . . . — Map (db m26098) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), New Canaan — New Canaan
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 124) 0 miles north of East Avenue (Connecticut Route 106), on the left when traveling north.
This region was established in 1731 as Canaan Parish, a separate ecclesiastical society of the Congregational Churches of Norwalk and Stamford. Incorporated as a town in 1801. New Canaan encompassed the area of Canaan Parish with additional land . . . — Map (db m46878) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), New Canaan — Pinney Corners
On Oenoke Ridge (Connecticut Route 124) at Pinney Road and Lukes Wood Road, on the right when traveling north on Oenoke Ridge.
Site of the Home of Henry A. Pinney (1836-1905). The shoe factory owned by Mr. Pinney was located on land opposite his home on slightly over three acres of land at the corner of Lukes Wood and Oenoke. The factory, built in 1870, produced women’s . . . — Map (db m26136) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), New Fairfield — New Fairfield
On Connecticut Route 37 0.1 miles north of Brush Hill Road (Connecticut Route 39), on the left when traveling north.
Front In the year 1724 twelve men from Fairfield, Connecticut , came to this area to purchase land from the Indians who then inhabited it. They negotiated with Chief Squantz of the Schaghticoke tribe, who lived near the pond in this . . . — Map (db m23060) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), New Fairfield — New Fairfield Fire Department Memorial
On Ball Pond Road (Connecticut Route 39) 0.1 miles north of Gilloti Road, on the left when traveling north.
Upper marker: The New Fairfield Volunteer Fire Department Dedicated To All Members Past and Present 2003 Lower marker: The New Fairfield Volunteer Fire Company, Inc. was formed in 1934 consisting of seven districts – . . . — Map (db m23061) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), New Fairfield — New Fairfield Veterans Memorial
On Connecticut Route 37 0.1 miles north of Brush Hill Road (Route 39), on the left when traveling north.
They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn them. French & Indian War Samuel Fairchild Militia K.I.A. Aug. 4, 1759 Burmell Barnum Militia K.I.A. Aug. 4, 1761 Civil War Frederick C. . . . — Map (db m23063) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Newtown — Cyrenius H. Booth Library
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 25) at Church Hill Road (Connecticut Route 6), on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Cyrenius H. Booth Library Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior 1932 — Map (db m42368) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Newtown — In Commemoration
On Church Hill Road (U.S. 6) at Queen Street, on the right when traveling east on Church Hill Road.
1732 ---- 1932 In Commemoration Of The Two Hundredth Birthday Of George Washington ---- Rochambeau Established a Camp Here June 28 To July 1, 1781 ---- Soldiers Commanded By Lafayette Camped At This Spot Placed by Mary . . . — Map (db m26914) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Newtown — Newtown
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 25) at East Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
This area, then known as Quanneapague, was purchased from the Pohtatuck Indians in 1705. Settled from Stratford and incorporated in 1711, Newtown was a stronghold of Tory settlement during the early Revolutionary War. French General Rochambeau and . . . — Map (db m21235) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Newtown — Newtown Meeting House
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 25) at Church Hill Road (U.S. 6), on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
. . . — Map (db m26813) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Newtown — Newtown Veterans Memorial
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 25) at Schoolhouse Hill Road, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
. . . — Map (db m21339) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Newtown — Rev. John Beach, A.M.
On Glover Avenue at Main Street (Connecticut Route 25), on the right when traveling west on Glover Avenue.
. . . — Map (db m41513) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Newtown — Rochambeau
On Main Street (Connecticut Route 25) at Church Hill Road (U.S. 6), on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
. . . — Map (db m42367) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Newtown — Washington – Rochambeau Revolutionary RouteHousatonic Crossing
On Church Hill Road (U.S. 6) at Queen Street, on the right when traveling west on Church Hill Road.
French General Jean Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau, and thousands of French ground and naval forces arrived in Newport in July of 1780 to assist the Americans in the War for Independence. After wintering in Newport, Rochambeau’s . . . — Map (db m26915) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — A Habitat Renewed
On Seaview Avenue at East Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Seaview Avenue.
In the past, the shallow and stagnant Mill Pond was not a good place for marine life. In 1996-97, the City of Norwalk undertook a $500,000 project to improve the aquatic habitat. Funds for the work came from the Connecticut Department of . . . — Map (db m53485) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Battle of the Rocks Monument
On France Street at Adams Avenue, on the left when traveling north on France Street.
On this historic ground the American Patriots bravely sustained the cause of Liberty against the British Invaders July 12, 1779 ---------- Erected by the D.A.R. of Norwalk 1894. — Map (db m53435) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Burning of Norwalk
On East Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
From the summit of this hill Maj. Gen. William Tryon witnessed the Burning of Norwalk by the British troops under his command during the engagement of July 11 & 12, 1779. --------------- Erected by Norwalk Chapter Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m53434) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Fitch’s Point
Near Seaside Place, on the right when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m53437) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Flax Hill Monument
On Hillside Place at Elmwood Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Hillside Place.
. . . — Map (db m53438) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Liberty Tree Memorial
On Sunset Hill Avenue near East Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
This American Liberty Elm was named after “The Liberty Tree: Our Country’s first Symbol of Freedom.” On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the . . . — Map (db m53918) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Mill Pond History
On Seaview Avenue at East Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Seaview Avenue.
The Mill Pond was created, probably in the 1700s, by diking a natural coastal inlet, save for a narrow channel that would power a mill wheel. Seaview Avenue and Veterans Park were later built on more landfill. Other businesses, most notably hat . . . — Map (db m53482) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Norwalk
On E Wall Street at Park Street, on the right when traveling east on E Wall Street.
First in recorded history came a navigator, Adriaen Block, in 1614 who called the Norwalk Islands “Archipelago.” In 1640 Daniel Patrick from the New Haven Colony obtained a deed from local Indians conveying land on the west side of the . . . — Map (db m53449) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Norwalk FoundedA.D. 1849
On East Avenue at Fort Point Street, on the left when traveling south on East Avenue.
. . . — Map (db m53436) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Norwalk World War I Memorial
On East Avenue at Park Street, on the right when traveling south on East Avenue.
This monument is erected as a tribute of honor to the Citizens of Norwalk, Conn. who devoted themselves to the cause of freedom in the service of our country during the Great World War, 1917 – 1919 and as a memorial to the men who made the . . . — Map (db m53763) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Parish of St. Paul’s
On St. Paul’s Place, on the right when traveling west.
This Parish of St. Paul’s was founded in 1737 by a missionary priest sent to the colonies from London. The present church building is the fifth erected on this site. The second structure was destroyed by the British on July 11, 1779, when General . . . — Map (db m53460) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument
On Martin Luther King Drive at Washington Street, on the right when traveling west on Martin Luther King Drive.
Erected by the Grand Army of the Republic and the citizens of South Norwalk in memory of her loyal sons 1861-1865 — Map (db m36010) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — St. Paul’s Church
On St. Paul’s Place, on the right when traveling west.
St. Paul’s is one of the most beautiful stone, Gothic-Style, churches in the area. It’s dramatic 13th century English charm, stained glass, excellent acoustics, and vintage E.M. Skinner organ create an atmosphere conducive to prayer, contemplation . . . — Map (db m53462) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — St. Paul’s Historic Graveyard
On St. Paul’s Place, on the right when traveling west.
This historic graveyard is one of the oldest in Norwalk. It predates the Revolutionary War and is the resting place of several patriots of the American Revolution. It is situated on the original grant of land given to the professors of the Church . . . — Map (db m53461) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Norwalk — The Birds
On Seaview Avenue at East Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Seaview Avenue.
While the Mill Pond Restoration Project created a better environment for animals under the water, the creatures that we can see benefiting are the birds. A variety of feathered species are drawn here by the edible plant material and the . . . — Map (db m53484) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Old Greenwich — Old Greenwich
On Sound Beach Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Under the jurisdiction of the New Haven Colony, the first settlers in 1640 purchased land from the Siwanoy Indians. Under New Amsterdam’s protection, this settlement was a dutch manor during 1642–56. In the years 1656–65, it was combined . . . — Map (db m2484) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Old Greenwich — Sound Beach Railroad Station
Near Sound Beach Avenue.
Built 1892, moved to this location 1895. Renamed Old Greenwich Railroad Station 1931. Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m2485) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 3 — “Putnam’s Escape from Horseneck”
On Putnam Park Road (Connecticut Route 107) at Black Rock Turnpike (Connecticut Route 58), on the right when traveling west on Putnam Park Road.
This bronze statue was sculpted by renowned local artist Anna Hyatt Huntington. She was 94 when she completed the statue for its 1969 dedication. The bronze depicts General Israel Putnam’s legendary ride down the stone steps in Greenwich (then . . . — Map (db m69914) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 12 — Bake Oven and Upper Level Structures — Putnam Memorial State Park —
Near Putnam Park Road (Connecticut Route 58) near Connecticut Route 107, on the right when traveling south.
With the exception of the Bake Oven, which produced bread for camp, the identity and locations of numerous other buildings on the upper level is uncertain. We know that the Bake Oven was located in this ravine. It needed water from the stream . . . — Map (db m26903) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 11 — Barlow Circle — Putnam Memorial State Park —
Near Putnam Park Road (Connecticut Route 58) near Connecticut Route 107, on the right when traveling south.
A resident of Redding, Joel Barlow graduated from Yale in 1778. An accomplished poet and writer, Barlow was thought to have visited the Redding army camps during the winter of 1778-89. He was a chaplain for three years in the Continental Army. — Map (db m26902) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 2 — Camp Guardhouse — Putnam Memorial State Park —
Near Putnam Park Road (Route 58) at Connecticut Route 107, on the right when traveling south.
Camp Guardhouse A log hut which was reconstructed about 1890 on the remains of a hut from 1778. The actual purpose of the original structure is in question, although local lore said it was the Guardhouse. The construction and size of the hut . . . — Map (db m26893) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 13 — Cemetery / Command Officer’s Quarters — Putnam Memorial State Park —
Near Putnam Park Road (Connecticut Route 58) at Connecticut Route 107, on the right when traveling south.
The two mounds of stones inside the square formed by the granite posts, were thought to be the camp cemetery. Accordingly, a memorial marker was erected to mark the site in 1902. Archaeology work has proven this site to be that of a . . . — Map (db m26909) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Charles Burr Todd — Putnam Memorial State Park —
Near Putnam Park Road (Connecticut Route 58) near Connecticut Route 107, on the right when traveling south.
This Tablet is Placed by the Commissioners Of Israel Putnam Memorial Camp To Perpetuate the Memory Of Charles Burr Todd 1849 – 1928 Historian and Biographer A Native of Redding, Inspired By Love For His Town And State, He Was . . . — Map (db m26898) HM

1860 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1660
Paid Advertisement