Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Connecticut

1900 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 1500
 
Company Street (Fireback Row) Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Herrick, January 20, 2010
Company Street (Fireback Row) Marker
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 6 — Company Street (Fireback Row) — Putnam Memorial State Park —
The enlisted men’s encampment consisted of 116 log huts set in a double row for almost a quarter mile down the company street. The only above ground remains of those huts today are the piles of collapsed stone chimneys. Each stone pile of . . . — Map (db m26896) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — First Church of Christ Congregational
About This Church This church was built in 1837 by the Methodist Episcopal Society of Redding. The building committee consisted of Thomas B. Fanton, John Read Hill, Gershom Sherwood, Jesse Banks, and David Duncomb. It served the Methodist . . . — Map (db m26816) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Guard House
On this site stood the Guard House of 1778-9. A soldier was shot & killed by the sentry on duty when attempting to escape. — Map (db m12006) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Israel Putnam
Donated A.D. 1969 by sculptress Anna Hyatt Huntington in her 93rd year in timeless memorial to Israel Putnam Senior Major General in the Continental Army who at Greenwich, Connecticut, in February of 1779, made good a dramatic mounted escape . . . — Map (db m11994) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — John Read, Gentleman
Home site of “Lonetown Manor” where John Read, Gentleman after whom the town is named settled in 1711 Title to the original 500 acres was secured by colony grants confirmed in 1714 by an Indian deed from Chief . . . — Map (db m26870) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 14 — Lake McDougall — Putnam Memorial State Park —
The stone dam which makes this pond was installed at the time of the park’s creation. But the stream was in existence during the 1778-79 army encampment. It is one of two main streams, one at either end of the camp, which provided water for the . . . — Map (db m26910) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 5 — Memorial Monument — Putnam Memorial State Park —
Memorial Monument Constructed in 1888, one year after the commissioning of the park, this monument honors the three different camps in Redding during the winter of 1778 – 79. This monument is the very first structure erected at the park. . . . — Map (db m26895) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 7 — Museum — Putnam Memorial State Park —
This building contains exhibits and historical materials including artifacts unearthed at the campsite during archaeological excavations. The museum was built in 1921. The structure was a repository for the artifacts found in the park. This . . . — Map (db m26897) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 8 — Officers Quarters — Putnam Memorial State Park —
The chimney remains mark the site of a company officer’s hut. The hut was a replica built in 1890 on the original site. The company-level officer’s huts were located behind the enlisted hut line. There are several other firebacks of these junior . . . — Map (db m26899) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 10 — Officers Quarters / Magazine — Putnam Memorial State Park —
This structure was reconstructed in 1890 on the foundations of the original 1778 building. Long thought to be an officer’s barracks, recent information is now leading archaeologists to believe that it was actually the camp magazine which held the . . . — Map (db m26901) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 9 — Philips Cave — Putnam Memorial State Park —
Local legend says a shallow cave in this rock outcrop was used by one Mr. Philips. Philips was a soldier who returned after the war to live in this cave. He led the life of a lonely hermit, including liberating an occasional chicken, or produce . . . — Map (db m26900) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 4 — Putnam Memorial State Park
Putnam Memorial State Park This park commemorates the three winter encampments in 1778 – 79 of Major General Isreal Putnam’s division of Continental Army troops during the Revolutionary War. The memorial park was created on the actual site . . . — Map (db m26890) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Redding
Originally part of Fairfield and unclaimed land, Redding was settled about 1711, made a parish in 1729, and incorporated in 1767. It was named for John Read, gentleman, lawyer, early landowner, and spokesman for the settlers. One of his land . . . — Map (db m26814) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Redding Citizens
In memory of the Redding citizens captured nearby April 26, 1777 & imprisoned in New York for ransom by British General William Tryon & his invading army. Russell Bartlett • Stephen Betts + • Daniel Chapman * • Thomas Couch • David Fairchild • . . . — Map (db m69916) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — The Hill Academy
This tablet is placed to perpetuate the memory of Aaron Sanford Hill 1800 – 1893 Interest in his native town and in public education inspired him to found The Hill Academy Erected on this site in 1883, this building, . . . — Map (db m26871) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Town of Redding World War I Memorial
Town of Redding 1914   Roll of Honor   1918 Erected in Appreciation of The Services of Our Men and Women Who Served in the World War Harold Albin • Carl A. Anderson • Hubert Anderson • Sigurd Anderson • Edward Babcock • . . . — Map (db m26815) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Unknown Heroes
In memory of the Unknown Heroes buried here. — Map (db m11999) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — 1 — Visitor Center (1893 Pavilion) — Putnam Memorial State Park —
Visitor Center (1893 Pavilion) This building was originally built in 1893 as the park pavilion. It was used as a shelter for park visitors during inclement weather, for dances and picnics. The upstairs was used as the original park museum. . . . — Map (db m26891) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Redding — Winter Quarters of Putnam’s Division
Front of Monument: Erected to commemorate the Winter Quarters of Putnam’s Division of the Continental Army. Nov. 7th 1778. May 25th 1779. Right of Monument: Putnam McDougal Poor Parsons Huntington Back of Monument: The men of ‘76 . . . — Map (db m11997) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 12 — A Much-Loved Old Church and a Watering Trough for Horses — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
The Methodist Episcopal Church had its beginnings in Ridgefield 1n 1787 when the first meeting was held – just 21 years after Methodism had been introduced into the U.S. from England. In 1789 Jesse Lee, a native of Virginia, was sent . . . — Map (db m31936) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 2 — Bailey Avenue: A Short-Cut to the Train Station — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
Louis Bailey (1819-1899), a prominent member of the community, created Bailey Avenue for the purpose of building stores and residences, and for access to the train depot on Prospect St. He was an incorporator of the Ridgefield Savings Bank, a . . . — Map (db m31998) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 9 — Ballard Park — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
Philip Burr Bradley was one of the earliest owners of the property. Bradley, a cousin of Aaron Burr, was placed in command of the Fifth CT Regt. in the Revolutionary War, and commanded a battalion at the Battle of Ridgefield. He also served in . . . — Map (db m24808) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Battle of Ridgefield — April 27, 1777
The Third and Chief Engagement Occurred on This Ridge — Map (db m23395) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Battle of Ridgefield Dead
In defense of American Independence at the Battle of Ridgefield April 27, 1777 died Eight Patriots who were laid in this ground companioned by Sixteen British Soldiers Living, their enemies, Dying their guests, in honor of service and sacrifice this . . . — Map (db m23396) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 22 — Benedict Arnold's Betrayal and Lieutenant Joshua King — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
On September 23, 1780, on his way through American lines to New York City, Major John Andre of the British Army was captured, taken prisoner and brought to American headquarters in South Salem, N.Y. Andre had plotted with General Benedict . . . — Map (db m32002) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 18 — Bissell's – Destroyed by Two Conflagrations — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
Hiram K. Scott set up the town's first variety and drug store in 1853. Scott was an influential businessman, serving as postmaster, town clerk, probate judge and a druggist for 50 years. He sold his store to Harvey Bissell in the summer of . . . — Map (db m31587) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 29 — Branchville – A Center of Italian–American Life — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
A Small Village began to emerge in the area in 1852 with the opening of the Danbury-and-Norwalk Railroad line. Stores, a hotel, a post office, a school and small industries in the area were establishes. The building that housed the Branchville . . . — Map (db m31967) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Ensign James Benedict House
c. 1730 Ensign James Benedict Cobbler's Shop and Home — Map (db m32243) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Gen. David Wooster
On this spot fell Gen. David Wooster Mortally Wounded April 27,1777, at the Battle of Ridgefield — Map (db m23397) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Keeler Tavern
The Keeler Tavern served as headquarters for the Patriots during the Battle of Ridgefield, April 27, 1777. It is now owned by the Keeler Tavern Preservation Society and maintained as an historical building. — Map (db m23410) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 25 — Keeler Tavern and the “Big Shop” — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
Built as a farmhouse in 1713 on Lot#2 by David Hoyt, it was sold to his grandson Timothy Keeler, who converted it into an inn/tavern in 1772. The Keeler Tavern, which also served as a post office, was inherited by Anna Keeler, Timothy’s . . . — Map (db m23411) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 11 — Main Street in the Late 1800s — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
Looking south from Prospect Street, where the shops and offices of Yankee Ridge are today, stood homes at the beginning of the 20th century. From the left are the Osborn house, owned by Richard Osborn, owner of the Ridgefield Lumber Company; . . . — Map (db m24807) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 17 — More of the Great Fire — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
On the Night of December 8, 1895 a fire broke out in the undertaking and furniture store of Bedient & Mead at the northeast corner of Main St. and Bailey Ave. The fire spread rapidly to the adjoining Western Union telegraph office and Barhite . . . — Map (db m31586) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Old Hundred
Old Hundred 1783 This Structure Was Originally The Store of Lts. Joshua King And James Dole, Later Used As A Resi- dence Known As "Old Hundred." — Map (db m30464) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 13 — Out of the Ashes … — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
The Fire District in Ridgefield was organized in 1896 following the devastating fire of 1895. Ex-Governor Phineas Lounsbury was an early benefactor of the Department and the new engine company took his name. The firehouse is also the site of . . . — Map (db m32050) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Place Where Wooster Fell
. . . — Map (db m23431) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 30 — Quarries, Abrasives and the "Fresh Air" Kids — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
The Bridgeport Wood Refinishing Company and Silex Mills had a plant on the eastern side of Route 7, north of the Branchville train station, and a much larger one at the intersection of Branchville Road and Route 7 along the newly built branch . . . — Map (db m31966) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Rev. Thomas Hawley House
This house is the Oldest in Ridgefield ----------- Built in 1713 --- by --- Rev. Thomas Hawley First Pastor and Town Clerk — Map (db m32000) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 28 — Ridgebury – George Washington Slept Here — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
Ridgebury, "The New Patent," was one of the last land purchases made by the Proprietors. Tradition says that the First Congregational Church in Ridgebury had its beginnings in the "New Patent Meeting House" as early as 1738. In 1768 the . . . — Map (db m32052) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Ridgebury Congregational Church
Gathered       Built 1760            1851 This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior < Second Plaque: > Connecticut Washington – Rochambeau Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m23423) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Ridgefield
This town was founded in 1708 by a group of families from Norwalk who purchased twenty thousand acres from the Ramapoo Indians for one hundred pounds sterling. They were aided by John Copp, a surveyor, who explored the land now lying between High . . . — Map (db m23409) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Ridgefield Veterans Memorial
Center Panel: Honor Roll World War II and Korean War Action “Into the Mosaic of Victory, These Priceless Jewels Were Set” In Supreme Sacrifice World War II Acocella, Charles • Bell, William P. • Birarelli, . . . — Map (db m23875) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Ridgefield Veterans Monument
[ west side ] To the Memory of The Citizens of Ridgefield Who Served Their Country In the Wars of the Republic 1775 – 1918 Erected by the People of Ridgefield MCMXXIV [ east side ] War of the . . . — Map (db m31972) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 24 — Ridgefield's Colonial Plans — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
The First Recorded Plan for settlement was in 1697 when a group of Congregationalists primarily from Norwalk petitioned "to purchase of the Indians a certain tract of land lying about 14 miles northward of the town of Norwalk to settle a . . . — Map (db m32048) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 26 — Settler’s Rock — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
The first surveyors came north from Norwalk to determine the suitability of the land for settlement as a plantation. Tradition says that they spent their first night on top of Settler’s Rock and that fires were built at its base to protect them . . . — Map (db m23420) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Settlers Rock
On this rock the original settlers scouting party spent their first night 1708 – 1958 A.D. — Map (db m23418) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 6 — Smith Tavern – A Colonial Meeting Place — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
The Smith Tavern stood on the site of the present library. Ebenezer Smith arrived from Milford in 1709 and was assigned Lot # 26. He opened a small tavern in his home. By 1797 a new building was erected on the site by Amos Smith, who ran a . . . — Map (db m24806) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 15 — St. Mary Church and Rectory — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
A New Catholic Church was first planned in 1896. This Victorian Gothic building was completed and dedicated on July 5, 1897. This building is described by the Ridgefield Preservation Trust as "… one of Ridgefield's finest buildings…a complex . . . — Map (db m32049) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 20 — State Police and the Benjamin Franklin School — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
Looking Towards East Ridge from Governor Street, the four buildings on the hill have been an important part of Ridgefield's landscape for the last 100 years. On the left is the George Rockwell home, which, with the house next door was once the . . . — Map (db m31588) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — The Battle of Ridgefield — April 27, 1777
The chief engagement of Connecticut’s only inland battle during the War for Independence was fought approximately 100 yards from this site. Several hundred hastily-mustered militia joined a handful of Continental troops under Generals Benedict . . . — Map (db m23400) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 8 — The Battle of Ridgefield, April 27, 1777 — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
British General Tryon’s Raid on Danbury occurred on April 26, 1777. The beginning of the 1777 campaign was the first British invasion and the only pitched battle in Connecticut. Following the burning of Danbury the British troops marched through . . . — Map (db m23412) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — The Confederate Bell
The Confederate bell was captured during the Civil War by Colonel Alexander Warner who later presented it to Governor Phineas Lounsbury. For many years the bell stood on the Grounds of the Lounsbury Mansion, which in 1953 became the Community . . . — Map (db m23575) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 7 — The Elms Inn and Stebbins Homestead — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
In 1799, Thomas Rockwell opened a small carpentry shop which later became part of the Elms Inn. It was also a shoemaker’s shop and later, a tin shop operated by Francis Rockwell. Francis was also a vintner whose vineyard was across the street . . . — Map (db m23435) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — The First Society of Ridgefield
The First Society of Ridgefield was formed in 1725 under the leadership of The Reverend Samuel L. Johnson The name St. Stephen's was given in the year 1831, the year in which it became a parish. The Church of the Living God, the . . . — Map (db m31965) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — The Gilbert House — Circa 1790
Built by Benjamin Stebbins for his daughter Sarah and her husband Amos Baker, a Revolutionary War Hero, the first surgeon in Ridgefield and the originator of the famous Baker Apple. — Map (db m23602) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 1 — The Great Fire of 1895 — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
The East Side of Main Street as it appeared the day after the devastating fire of 1895. (See Panel #17 for a description of the fire.) Barhite & Valden General Store and the Western Union telegraph office next door were located just . . . — Map (db m31585) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 14 — The Livery Stable and the First Catholic Church — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
Whitlock's Livery, later the Sperry Livery stable, was across the street from the firehouse. Whitlock ran a stage to the Branchville station before the branch line was built in 1870. The livery stable also boarded horses, including those used . . . — Map (db m32051) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — The Lounsbury House
Lounsbury House Circa 1896 has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places — Map (db m23877) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — The Museum in the Streets — Ridgefield, Connecticut
Welcome to Ridgefield's History Trail! Ridgefield, Connecticut – 1708 The Fundamental Orders adopted by Connecticut in 1639 directed would-be settlers, able to support a minister, to establish a settlement, build a Congregational . . . — Map (db m31997) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — The Museum in the Streets — Ridgefield, Connecticut
Welcome to Ridgefield's History Trail! Ridgefield, Connecticut – 1708 The Fundamental Orders adopted by Connecticut in 1639 directed would-be settlers, able to support a minister, to establish a settlement, build a Congregational . . . — Map (db m32234) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — The Original Episcopal Church
Here stood the original Episcopal Church erected in 1740 partly burned by British soldiers during the battle of Ridgefield April 27, 1777 — Map (db m31964) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 4 — The Ridgefield Train Station — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
In 1870, A Branch Line from the Branchville train station was built to offer service to the wealthy New Yorkers who began arriving to spend their summers in Ridgefield. Many of these "summer people" had their own private railroad cars. . . . — Map (db m31591) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 3 — The Spotting Tower and Railroad Warehousing — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
The Small, White Octagonal Building on the corner was originally built as a boathouse on the estate of F.E. Lewis. It was moved behind the high school on East Ridge during World War II, and used as a warming hut for volunteers looking for . . . — Map (db m31590) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 23 — The Town Common and Hauley House — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
The First Meeting House was built on the green in 1713. In 1723 the first Congregational Meeting House was erected and served as a school, church and government building. It was replaced in 1800 by a second Meeting House, in use until 1888 . . . — Map (db m31999) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 16 — The Village Center in the Early 1900s — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
Henry Mead and His Wife are seen standing on the stoop of their grocery store in the early part of the 20th century. The building was moved when Ridgefield Hardware built their new store in 1948. Today Ridgefield Hardware is one of the oldest . . . — Map (db m31937) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 10 — The Village in the 1900s — Ridgefield, Connecticut — The Museum in the Streets —
The International Order Of Odd Fellows, Pilgrim Lodge No. 45 was established in Ridgefield in 1847, meeting in the Masonic Hall until 1895 when the structure was destroyed in the Great Fire. The Odd Fellows built their own building in 1928 and . . . — Map (db m31970) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — 27 — Titicus: An Industrial Center — The Museum in the Streets — Ridgefield, Connecticut —
Mills first appeared along the Titicus River in the early part of the 18th century. Sawmills, the first to come, permitted the proprietors to build frame houses instead of rough log cabins. Titicus also boasted the largest tannery in town, which . . . — Map (db m23609) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Washington – Rochambeau Revolutionary Route — Ridgefield
French General Jean-Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, Comte de Rochambeau, and thousands of French ground and naval forces arrived in Newport in July of 1780 to assist the Americans in the War for Independence. After wintering in Newport, Rochambeau’s . . . — Map (db m23416) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Ridgefield — Ye Burying Yard
Ye Burying Yard Ridgefield's Oldest Cemetery Restored 1988 maintained by The Caudatowa Garden Club & Parks & Recreation Dept. The Burying Yard contains a monument listing 40 people who were buried in this cemetery between . . . — Map (db m32237) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Rowayton — Rowayton Veterans Memorial
Memorial Gun A Cannon of the Heroic Deeds of Our Soldiers and Sailors of the Republic in the War of the Rebellion for the Preservation of the Union Erected 1901 From U.S.S. Tallapossa (south side plaque) In Honor of the Citizens of . . . — Map (db m80306) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — City of Shelton Emergency Services Memorial
City Of Shelton In Memory Of Our Departed Emergency Services Members Who Have Given Their Lives In The Line Of Duty While Protecting the Lives and Property of Our Citizens Shelton Fire Department Daniel E. Wannagot 1991 Shelton Police . . . — Map (db m25612) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — Commodore Isaac Hull Bridge
Commodore Isaac Hull Bridge Named for the Heroic Commander Of the U.S. Frigate “Constitution” During Its Great Naval Victories In the War of 1812 Born in Derby March 9, 1773 Resided in Shelton 1785 – 1794 This . . . — Map (db m25381) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — Constitution Oak
. . . — Map (db m28318) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — Fort Hill
Fort Hill On This Point Of Land The Pootatuck Indians Built A Fort In 1673 To Prevent The White Man From Coming Up The Ousatonic River — Map (db m28322) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — Freedom Tree
Freedom Tree To Honor Iranian Hostages Released On January 20, 1981 After 444 Days In Captivity Proclamation & Historical Records Are Contained In Vault On This Site Eugene M. Hope Mayor [ Inscribed on the edge ] Vault . . . — Map (db m25609) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — Huntington World War II Memorial
1941         1945 Honor Roll Of Those Who Went From Huntington To Serve Their Country Eli J. Baldwin • Robert L. Baldwin • Margarte E. Bassett • Royal O. Birdseye • Stanley R. Block • Howard R. Bonnell • James L. Burkle • George . . . — Map (db m25376) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — Shelton
[ front ] Shelton 1639 – Stratford area settled, with present-day Shelton as the northern part. 1717 – Northern settlers established Ripton parish. 1789 – Ripton separated from Stratford and became the town . . . — Map (db m25614) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — Shelton Locks
The Shelton locks from Housatonic River to the canal system were built in 1867, allowing canal boats to be raised through 3 sets of locks by water entering each lock, one at a time, raising the boat approximately 10 feet. It was then brought forward . . . — Map (db m27118) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — Shelton Veterans Monument
A Victory Denied Vietnam War 1961 – 1975 The Forgotten War Korean War 1950 – 1953 Freedom Is Not Free World War II 1941 – 1945 The War To End All Wars World War I 1917 – 1918 . . . — Map (db m25613) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — Shelton World War I Monument
Honor Roll Tablet Erected By The City of Shelton In Honor of the Men of This Community In the Military or Naval Forces of Our Country Erected November 1918 [ center column ] Died In Service Thomas Arena • Joseph . . . — Map (db m28282) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — Shelton World War II Memorial
World War II In Memory Of Those Who Died In Service Louis J. Beatrice • Anthony Bilotto • Dante A. Buccelly • Louis J. Cuda • John J. Donovan, Jr. • William Dziadik • Francis D. Fraser • Thomas A. Geoghan • George L. Keller • Michael Kudej . . . — Map (db m25377) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Shelton — To Honor the Men and Women of the City of Shelton
To Honor The Men and Women of the City of Shelton Who Served Their Country and In Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice Killed In Action World War I Arena, Thomas USA • Bernabeo, Joseph USA • Burke, Chester Arthur USA . . . — Map (db m25615) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Sherman — Sherman
Originally part of New Fairfield, which was purchased from the Indians in 1729, the area then known as the Upper Seven Miles was separately incorporated as the Town of Sherman in 1802. The town was named for Roger Sherman who, as a young man, had . . . — Map (db m23070) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Sherman — Sherman Veterans Memorial
[ center tablet ] 1941 World War II 1946 Alfredson, Arvid R. • Alfredson, John P. • Amazeen, Bradford E. • Anderson, Henry B., Jr. • Barton, John E. • Bauman, Herman • Beaumont, John F. • Biro, Louis • Blantin, Robert B. • Bloch, Werner . . . — Map (db m24435) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Sherman — Sherman World War I Memorial
In Honor of the Citizens of The Town of Sherman Who Served Their Country in the World War 1914 1918 Alfredson David • Atkins Charles S. • * Blantin Ernest • Blantin John Jr. • Boo Axel • Burch Elvin H. • Cussler Edward • Gentles Robert B. • . . . — Map (db m24434) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Charles E. Rowell
This Memorial Is Erected to The Memory Of Charles E. Rowell Mayor of Stamford Jan. 1, 1911 to Dec. 31, 1913 Born May 2, 1849 Died March 29, 1914 A skilfull physician, a loyal friend, an efficient public officer, he served the . . . — Map (db m38854) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Christopher Columbus
Christopher Columbus Discoverer of America Presented By Stamford Chapter Unico National Dedicated October 12, 1960 [ back ] Stamford Chapter Unico National "A Service Club" Unity Neighborliness Integrity Charity . . . — Map (db m38853) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients
. . . — Map (db m53764) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Edward A. Connell Heritage Park
Edward A. Connell Heritage Park This park dedicated May 19, 1984 As a Tribute to His Service As Supertindent of Parks From 1952 to 1974 Writer, Orator, Philosopher, Statesman Teacher and Friend He Brought Beauty to Stamford's Parks . . . — Map (db m38855) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — First Congregational Church
1776   1976 First Congregational Church A crude, square, wooden structure surrounded by a stockade was erected near this site in 1641-2. It was the first meeting house of the Church of Christ. Later the First Congregational Church. Four members . . . — Map (db m38752) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Fort Stamford
To mark the site near by of Fort Stamford Built and garrisoned for the defense of the people in these parts in the War for American Independence Erected by Stamford Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Sept. 14, A.D. 1926 < Lower . . . — Map (db m53431) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Fort Stamford — 1781 - 1783
1776           1976       In August, 1781 Gov. Jonathan Trumbull and the Council of Safety ordered construction of fortifications near Stamford to prevent a surprise attack from the enemy. Designed by Col. Rufus Putnam, and erected and garrisoned by . . . — Map (db m53433) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Freedom Shrine
Freedom Shrine Created by the National Exchange Club to strengthen citizen appreciation of our American heritage Presented by the Exchange Club of Stamford Dedicated June 14, 1979 [ Reproductions of historic American documents are . . . — Map (db m38610) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Liberty Tree Memorial
This American Liberty Elm was named after “The Liberty Tree: Our Country’s first Symbol of Freedom.” On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the . . . — Map (db m53765) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Michael F. Lione Memorial Park
Michael F. Lione Memorial Park Large, soft-brown eyes, reverently expressing the simple faith of a little boy; determined countenance and rugged body that bespoke the athlete who never quit; tenderness and compassion without softness and . . . — Map (db m38769) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — St. John's Episcopal Church
1776   1976 St. John's Episcopal Church In 1774, St John's, the first Episcopal Church in this area, was built here on land granted by the town. Struck by lightning that same year, the original building was repaired and endured for a hundred . . . — Map (db m38767) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Stamford Iraq War Memorial
In memory of our U.S. heroes who have sacrificed their lives by fighting for freedom in the War in Iraq. May they rest in peace. Dedicated by The Happy Club of Stamford 2007 — Map (db m53766) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Stamford Old Town Hall
Old Town Hall Old Town Hall opened in 1906 and served as the seat of Stamford's government until 1963, when the Mayor's office and elected boards moved to the Municipal Office Building on Atlantic Street. Old Town Hall continued to house other . . . — Map (db m38765) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Stamford Veterans Memorial
[ central pedestal ] Lest We Forget Within this pedestal is placed a time capsule recording for all time those residents of Stamford who responded to the call, some giving their lives while serving in our past wars. In future . . . — Map (db m38754) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Stamford Veterans Monument
[ inscription around the top ] In Everlasting Memory of Stamford's Patriots 1641 – 1918 [ battle names inscribed in the panel between the fluted columns ] 1689 – 1763 Port Royal • Schenectady • Haverhill • . . . — Map (db m38430) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — Stamford World War I Memorial
The Citizens of Stamford Erect This Memorial In Memory Of Those Who Served and Died For Their Country 1916 - 1918 — Map (db m38429) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — The Settlement of Stamford in 1641
This tablet has been placed by Stamford Chapter National Society Daughters of the American Revolution to commemorate The Settlement of Stamford in 1641 During that year, twenty nine men and their families came from Wethersfield to this place. . . . — Map (db m38609) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stamford — The Stamford Lincoln
The Stamford Lincoln Dedicated July 11, 1995 to Honor Frank D. Rich, Sr. (1894 – 1990) Citizen Patriot Veteran City Builder ---------- Si monumentum requiris circumspice If you would see his monument look around . . . — Map (db m38608) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — "Mac’s Harbor"
"Mac’s Harbor” Traditional Landing Place of Stratford’s First Settlers In the spring of 1639 under leadership of the Rev. Adam Blakeman On the right, at the inner end of the harbor stood the First Meeting House and burial ground, and . . . — Map (db m48426) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Academy Hill Historic District
Academy Hill Historic District Established April 14, 1988 First known as Watch House Hill, where the first settlers manned a blockhouse and a palisade to guard the town from threats of Dutch and Indian attack. Renamed Meeting House . . . — Map (db m25814) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Blacksmith Shop — Circa 1935
In competition with Henry Ford’s Blacksmith Shop which had 4 sides and 4 corners, David Boothe designed this Blacksmith Shop with 44 sides and 44 corners. He offered $5.00 to anyone who found something missing and he never had to pay up. It houses . . . — Map (db m25910) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Boothe Homestead
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior May 1, 1985 This Estate Owned by the Boothe Family For Many Generations Was Willed To the Town of Stratford by David Beach . . . — Map (db m25907) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Boothe Homestead
This 1820’s home was built over the original foundation of the 1683 house and has been altered four times since then. David and Stephen Boothe’s renovations of 1913 added stained glass windows, four safes in the walls, and several . . . — Map (db m25911) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Captain David Judson House
. . . — Map (db m25764) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Captain John Carpenter
In Memory Of Captain John Carpenter Born in London, England, 1628 Settled In Stratford, Connecticut Before 1646 He commanded the Jamaica Fusiliers In the Defense of Fort James, New York, When the Dutch Fleet Of William of Orange . . . — Map (db m25766) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Christ Episcopal Church Cemetery Gate
This Gate Is the Gift of Columbia University In the City of New York In Grateful Memory of Samuel Johnson the First President of King’s College In the Province of New York 1754 – 1763 A.D. And of His Son William Samuel Johnson the First . . . — Map (db m25815) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Clocktower Museum — circa 1913 —
In 1913, this 1830’s haybarn was topped with a clocktower which was acquired in Massachusetts by the Boothes in exchange for a carpet sweeper. They installed Westminster Chimes, and inscribed the five massive bells with their genealogy. The . . . — Map (db m25908) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Home of William Samuel Johnson
Home of William Samuel Johnson One of the Framers Of the Constitution — Map (db m25899) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Merritt Parkway Toll Booth Plaza
Merritt Parkway Toll Booth Plaza Built in the late 1930s, the Merritt Parkway was designed for beauty as well as efficiency in traveling through southern Connecticut. The intent of the road was to bring the weary city driver into a restful . . . — Map (db m25903) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Old Congregational Burying Ground
[Left Plaque] In honor of the men and women who planted in the wilderness the early homes of Stratford, who fought bravely and suffered patiently in the War of the American Revolution, and who left to their descendents a . . . — Map (db m26099) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Planted in Memory of Theodore Roosevelt
Planted in Memory Of Theodore Roosevelt On the 100th Anniversary Of His Birth October 27, 1958 Capt. David Hawley Society C.A.R. — Map (db m53238) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Stratford American Revolutionary War Memorial
American Revolutionary War 1775 –– 1783 Dedicated to the brave Patriots from Stratford who participated in the struggle to achieve our Independence Killed in battle Zachariah Blakeman William Thompson David Wooster . . . — Map (db m25773) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Stratford Civil War Memorial
[ West Face ] 1776 Dedicated To The Memory Of Those Who Fought For Liberty And Saved The Union ------- “Yet Loved Ones Have Fallen And still where they sleep A sorrowing nation shall Silently weep, and . . . — Map (db m25782) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Stratford Disabled American Veterans Memorial
In memory to all disabled American Veterans who served in all wars and conflicts of the United States of America Dedicated by Charles K. Merritt Chapter No. 20 Disabled American Veterans Stratford, Connecticut. . . . — Map (db m25785) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Stratford Korean War Memorial
In Honor Of Those Who Served In the Korean War Cpl. Carmen F. Caruso  Army Capt. Raymond S. Davis  Army Cpl. Virgil R. Julian  Army PFC. William A. Mastroianni  Army Pvt. John F. Miner  Army PFC. John P. Quinlan  Marines Pvt. . . . — Map (db m25772) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Stratford Point Lighthouse — Est. - 1822
Maintained & Operated by the U.S. Coast Guard Aids to Navigation Team Long Island Sound — Map (db m25900) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Stratford Veterans Memorial
In recognition and appreciation for the service given by members of the Armed Forces from Stratford during times of national crisis [ Front face ] Libya • Grenada • Lebanon • Iraq • Bosnia • Saudi Arabia • Afghanistan • . . . — Map (db m25783) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Stratford Veterans Monument
In Recognition Of Service Rendered To Our Country By Men & Women Of Stratford Connecticut During National Crises — Map (db m25901) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Stratford Vietnam Memorial
Vietnam “That these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation, under God shall have a new birth of freedom and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.”    . . . — Map (db m25771) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Stratford World War I Memorial
World War I Apr. 6, 1917 – Nov. 11, 1918 Dedicated to the Soldiers From Stratford Who Served Our Country During World War I Killed In Action George C Anderson Martin Cunningham George Desario Charles Dunn . . . — Map (db m25784) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Stratford World War I Monument
In Grateful Recognition Of All Those Who Served Our Country In Time Of War The Town Of Stratford Dedicates This Memorial A.D. 1931 — Map (db m25898) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Stratford World War II Memorial
World War II 1941 – 1945 [ Inside right cloumn ] Dedicated to all the Brave men and women from the town of stratford Who served with Honor in World War II [ Inside left cloumn ] “I pray that our . . . — Map (db m25769) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Technocratic Cathedral — circa 1932
This building, designed and built by the Boothes, was made of redwood shipped through the Panama Canal. All the 4x6 timbers lie flat and are secured with galvanized dowels. Other features are glass block windows, a fireplace, and a cathedral . . . — Map (db m25909) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — VFW Post 9460 Memorial
VFW Raymond T. Goldbach Post No. 9460 Stratford, Conn. In Memory For all those who gave their lives in all wars — Map (db m26307) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Stratford — Ye Olde King’s Highway — Oldest Mail Route In America
. . . — Map (db m25818) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — In Memory of Lt. Rodney L. Stokes and Sgt. Julius G. Skyberg
In Memory of Lt. Rodney L. Stokes of Liberty, Mississippi, and Sgt. Julius G. Skyberg of DeSmet, South Dakota Who Lost Their Lives While Fulfilling Their Duties When Their Airplane Crashed on This Spot on Sunday January 23, 1944. Placed Here by . . . — Map (db m77504) HM WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — Jonathan Trumbull
Jonathan Trumbull 1710 – 1785 Revolutionary Patriot Statesman Merchant Governor of Connecticut 1769 – 1784 “The Constitution State” “The Nutmeg State” “The Provisions State” The . . . — Map (db m26305) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — Long Hill World War I Memorial
In Grateful Recognition Of the Valor and Devotion of The Young Men of this Community Who Served in the World War For Liberty and Justice 1914 -------- 1919 Beach, E. Merrill • Brewster, Frederick P. • Burroughs, Stephen J. • . . . — Map (db m26090) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — Nichols, Conn. World War Veterans Memorial
[ front tablet ] Nichols, Conn. World War Veterans 1917 – 1918 Alexander Nacy. • Nathan S. Mac Donald. • Stephen C. Onofrey. • Edward F. Marshall. • Stephen E. Stancisko. • Clarence A. Cooper. • Frederick W. Weller. • Frank . . . — Map (db m25912) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — Salute to Women – Veterans Day 1999
A Salute to Women – Veterans Day 1999 Our community honors mothers, wives, daughters and sisters who during times of war joined their uniformed men in service as well as “kept the home fires burning” unselfishly entering . . . — Map (db m26086) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — Tashua Hills
Tashua Hills 608 Feet Above Sea Level Highest Elevation On the East Coast Trumbull Parks Commission — Map (db m77495) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — The Trumbull Library
The Completion Of The Trumbull Library Realizes the Dreams and Concerns Of Half a Century of Trumbull Residents In 1923 on land deeded by the Trumbull Congregational Church in Trumbull Center the Nichols Memorial Library was opened as . . . — Map (db m26085) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — Trumbull
The northwest farmers of Stratford formed the Village of Unity in October, 1725. They united in 1744 with the Long Hill parish of the Stratfield section of Stratford to become the Society of North Stratford. The Society controlled its own religious . . . — Map (db m88049) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — Trumbull Veterans Memorial
[ Front ] Dedicated to The Honor and Sacrifice Of the Men And Women of This Community Who Served Our Country In All Wars Trumbull 1958 [ Back ] Trumbull Residents Who Gave Their Lives In The Service Of Their . . . — Map (db m26083) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — Trumbull Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park
. . . — Map (db m26081) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — Trumbull Volunteer Fire Company #1
[ West side ] Dedicated To The Trumbull Volunteer Fire Company #1, Inc Past, Present, Future Established 1925 [ South side ] Trumbull Center Fire District Established 1950 [ North side ] Trumbull . . . — Map (db m26082) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Trumbull — Trumbull World War I Memorial
World War Veterans Trumbull Center, Conn. 1914 – 1919 Brelsford, William • Crocker, Ernest F. • Crocker, Lloyd C. • Evans, B. Ira • Machalowski, Charles • Machalowski, George • Machalowski, Gustave • Machalowski, Julius • Moody, . . . — Map (db m26084) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Weston — Honor Roll Weston, Connecticut
Honor Roll Weston, Connecticut World War I Berglund, Reuben W. • Gifford, Vernon • Gustafson, Axel C. • Hurlbutt, Horace C., Jr. • Jacobi, Frank • Jacobi, Fred • Jacobi, Rudolph • Kramer, Herbert L. • Merwin, Harold • * Miller, Kenneth • * . . . — Map (db m30816) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Weston — Norfield Grange World War II Memorial
. . . — Map (db m30818) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Weston — Weston
[ front ] Weston Originally the Nor'field parish of old Fairfield (1639) to the south, present Weston was divided into long lots circa 1670, commencing our agricultural development. By 1757 there were enough families to become a separate . . . — Map (db m30800) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Weston — Weston Vietnam War & Persian Gulf War Monument
[North side] Vietnam Era Veterans 1963 – 1974 V Christopher O"Brien Ashe • Dana Graham Brayton • Timothy Gustav Bucky • William Charles Cable • John Walter Carpenter • John Paul Coniglio • V Peter Alan Cote • V Arthur Thomas . . . — Map (db m30815) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Battle of Westport Commemoration
To commemorate the battle fought on and near this point between the British forces and the American Patriots, April 28, 1777. Ordnance presented by U.S. Government and erected July 4, 1901Map (db m22556) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Compo Beach — Qui Transtulit Sustinet —
One Mile South At Compo Beach 2000 British Troops Landed April 25, 1777 For Raid on Danbury — Map (db m21244) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Disbrow Tavern — Jennings Trail
. . . — Map (db m30789) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — First Engagement
Here occurred the first engagement between the Continentals and the British Troops when they invaded Connecticut, April - 25 - 1777 — Map (db m21360) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Godillot Carriage House
Godillot Carriage House Built 1882 Has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m30648) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Greens Farms Meeting House — Jennings Trail
. . . — Map (db m21229) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Jesup Green — Jennings Trail
Jennings Trail Jesup Green Here stood the William H. Jessup House Later owned by William Taylor. On the river the Jessups built wharves and warehouses in the late 18th century where grain was stored awaiting export by sail. The . . . — Map (db m30645) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Jesup-Godillot House
Jesup-Godillot 1804 Remodeled c. 1880 Listed National Register of Historic Places Westport Historical Society — Map (db m30649) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Minuteman — Jennings Trail
To Commemorate the heroism of the Patriots who defended their country when the British invaded this State April 25- 1777. General David Wooster Colonel Abraham Gould and more than one hundred Continentals fell in the engagements . . . — Map (db m21538) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Nash House — Jennings Trail
Built in 1740 by Capt. Thomas Nash for Zachariah Burr, Aaron Burr's brother. It was An inn during during the Revolution. — Map (db m21394) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — The Post Road Bridge
The Post Road Bridge 1807 Westport was a prosperous shipping community with wharves, docks, and shipyards along both sides of the Saugatuck River. The first Post Road Bridge was owned and built by the Connecticut Turnpike Company, a public . . . — Map (db m30644) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Westport Korean War Monument
1950 Korea 1953 Dedicated To All Of Westport's Veterans Of The Korean War Who Honorably Served The Cause Of Freedom With The Armed Forces Of The United States * They Are Not Forgotten * — Map (db m30794) WM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Westport Vietnam War Monument
1959 Vietnam 1975 To Commemorate The Honorable Service In Southeast Asia, In The Face Of Uncommon Adversity… Of The Menand Women Of Westport Who Answered Our Country's Call. Killed In Action Timothy M. Barmmer USMC • Michael B. Paquin USA . . . — Map (db m30797) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Westport World War I Monument
[ south side ] 1917 – 1918 Dedicated To The Citizens Of Westport Who Served In The World War Erected Nov. 11, 1930 [ west side ] Honor Roll Gold Star These Gave Their Lives Carusone, Patsy • . . . — Map (db m30792) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Westport World War II Honor Roll
[ small right-hand plaque ] 1941 – 1945 They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old; Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them. . . . — Map (db m30798) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Westport World War II Memorial
For God And Country 1941   1945 They Honored Us More Than We Can Honor Them Donald E. Ball • Michael P. Cherub • James V. Cuso • Charles J. De Maria • William E. Dougherty, Jr. • Robert F. Dustman • David Elder • Thomas R. Finnegan • George . . . — Map (db m30793) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Westport — Wheeler House
Wheeler House Orig Date 1795 Remodeled 1860's Westport Historical Society [ lower medallion ] The National Register Of Historic Places Recorded Property — Map (db m31203) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Wilton — Captain Clapp Raymond
. . . — Map (db m30643) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Wilton — Hillside Cemetery World War Memorial
In Memory Of Those Who Gave Their Lives World Wars I and II James B. Whipple • Edward A. Bass • Ralph H. Cooke • Willis M. DeForest Jr. • Birchard E. Evans • Martyn A. Ficke • David F. Keeler • Daniel P. McNamara • William L. Meyer • Henry H.N. . . . — Map (db m30468) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Wilton — Joseph Edward Turner, M.D.
Joseph Edward Turner, M.D. 1822 – 1889 Founder And Medical Superintendent Of The First Inebriate Asylum In The World At Binghampton N.Y. 1858 – 1866 The First Physician To Put Unto Practical Operation The Treatment Of . . . — Map (db m30470) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Wilton — Major Samuel Comstock
In Memory Of Major Samuel Comstock 1739 --- 1824 A Private In The French and Indian War A Captain In The Revolutionary War July 1776 --- June 1783 Serving At White Plains Germantown Fort Mifflin Valley Forge Monmouth Yorktown . . . — Map (db m30471) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Wilton — Weir Farm National Historic Site
Welcome to Weir Farm National Historic Site In June of 1882, artist J. Alden Weir stepped off the train here in Branchville, Connecticut. Like you, he had come to explore this rural farm perched atop Nod Hill. During his short first visit, . . . — Map (db m30467) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Wilton — Wilton
[ front ] Wilton Although this region was settled in 1651 as part of Norwalk, the first dwelling house here was built in 1706. The village of Wilton with parish privileges was granted by the general Assembly on May 12, 1726. The Town of . . . — Map (db m32256) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Wilton — Wilton Roll of Honor
Roll Of Honor 1917 – 1918 * James B. Whipple Harry E. Aurmack • George Barringer • Sante Bananni • Charles D. Bennett • Clinton Bennett • Lansing Bennett • Kingsley Birdsall • Edward D. Bolley • Edward Bouterlier • Floyd Bouton • James S. . . . — Map (db m32255) HM
Connecticut (Fairfield County), Wilton — Wilton Veterans Memorial
Wilton Veterans Memorial Honoring Those who served Revolutionary War   1775 – 1784 War of 1812   1812 – 1814 Mexican War   1846 – 1848 Civil War   1861 1865 Spanish – American War   1989 – 1902 . . . — Map (db m32254) WM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — 1st Company Governor's Horse Guards
1778   1978 1st Company Governor's Horse Guards Organized Militia – State of Connecticut 20 May, 1978 This memorial is dedicated to the Horse Guardsmen who have honorably served this illustrious cavalry unit since it's founding during . . . — Map (db m33060) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Avon
Avon This area, formerly Northington or the North Parish of Farmington, was settled in 1645non land that had belonged to the Tunxis Indians. It prospered as a farming community and, in 1830, after the construction and opening of the Farmington . . . — Map (db m33019) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Avon Veterans Monument
[ center panel ] Avon Remembers "No Greater Gift" Mexican War Sperry, Orrin Civil War Beman, Job • Booth, Austin C • Brewer, Gilbert F • Buckley, Frederick O • Calkins, Obed H • Clark, Henry W • Evans, Henry D • Evans, Newton J . . . — Map (db m33168) WM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Birthplace of Wilford Woodruff — 1 March 1807- 2 September 1898
Wilford Woodruff, fourth President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was born 1 March 1807 in a section of Farmington, Connecticut, known as Northington (now Avon). He and his parents, Aphek and Beulah Thompson Woodruff, lived in . . . — Map (db m92453) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Charter Oak descendant
State Tree of Connecticut White Oak Constitutional Convention July 1, 1965 John deKoven Alsop Delegate — Map (db m94515) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — Constitution Oak
Constitution Oak 1902 Avon, Conn. Constitution Oak Centennial Celebration June 18, 2002 — Map (db m94497) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Avon — The Farmington Canal in Avon
In 1829 the Farmington Canal opened in Avon and operated until 1847. The Markers, here and across the street, show where it crossed the Albany Turnpike, now Rt. 44. They are made of the same sandstone used in in the Farmington Canal construction. — Map (db m92442) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Berlin — Berlin
Berlin This land, granted to settlers in 1661 and 1668 by the General Court of Connecticut, was also purchased from the local Mattabesett Indian tribe. Founders of the community include Sergeant Richard Beckley, who came north on the trail from New . . . — Map (db m46041) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Berlin — Berlin Veterans Monument
1920 Erected By The Town Of Berlin In Honor Of Her Patriotic Men And Women Who Served Their Country In Time Of War For The Dead – A Tribute For The Living – A Memory For Posterity – An Emblem Of Loyalty To The . . . — Map (db m47327) WM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Berlin — First Civil War Monument
[ north side ] Erected to Commemorate the Death Of Those Who Perished in Suppressing The Southern Rebellion How sleep the brave who sink to rest. By all their country's wishes blest. 1863 Soldiers [ west side ] . . . — Map (db m46037) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bloomfield — Bloomfield
Bloomfield In 1736 fifty-one inhabitants petitioned for parish privileges in what is now Bloomfield. They called the parish Wintonbury, using parts of the names of the three towns they came from Windsor, Farmingtonand Simsbury. It remained . . . — Map (db m97354) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bloomfield — Bloomfield Civil War Memorial
The Town of Bloomfield dedicates this memorial to the 129 men who signed to serve in the Union Army during the Civil War 1861 – 1865 A grateful town thanks them Dedicated Memorial Day May 28, 2012 — Map (db m97274) WM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bloomfield — Bloomfield Korean War Memorial
Korean War Memorial Dedicated to the Memory of those who served for America as part of a United Nations team to establish a foothold for democracy at the thirty-eighth (38th) parallel in Korea. Special attention is given to those . . . — Map (db m97272) WM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bloomfield — Bloomfield Vietnam Veterans Monument
Vietnam Veterans Monument George C Kosovich Jr   11-1-65 Edward L Bieber   10-23-67 Robert S Bagnall   3-8-69 Barry Jackson   3-18-69 (back) Dedicated to The Men And Women of Bloomfield Who So Bravely Answered Their Country’s . . . — Map (db m97270) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bloomfield — Bloomfield World War II Memorial
Dedicated To The 650 Men and Women Of Our Community Who Fought In World War II 1941 – 1945 To These, The Living and the Dead, The Citizens of Bloomfield Erected This Tablet In Grateful Remembrance In Loving Memory . . . — Map (db m97282) WM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bloomfield — Old Wintonbury Cemetery
( left gatepost plaque ) 1736     1933 Old Wintonbury Cemetery This gateway and fence were erected to the memory of the founders and descendants of ancient Wintonbury through the generosity of Mrs. Alice Bidwell Francis and Miss Caroline . . . — Map (db m99742) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bloomfield — Roll of Honor — Town of Bloomfield
Roll of Honor Town of Bloomfield 1914   World War   1919 *Harry Emanuel Johnson   *Patrick J. Lane   *Willard Delmont Mason Alfred Arndt • Philip A Auben • Raymond H Barnard • Arthur G Beebe • Rev Howard W Benedict • Harold F . . . — Map (db m97352) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bloomfield — Site of Bloomfield Methodist Church
On This Site Stood The Bloomfield Methodist Church From 1853 to 1961 Originally Built on Whirlwind Hill in 1832 Moved to This Site in 1853 — Map (db m97353) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bloomfield — The Village Green
The Village Green Symbolizing the Beginnings and Center of Community Life The Bloomfield Village Green Has Existed Since the 1700’s Restored by Wintonbury Park Redevelopment Project Wintonbury Parish 1735 Town of Bloomfield 1835 . . . — Map (db m97283) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — 1985 Bicentennial Time Capsule
. . . — Map (db m33623) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — Albert F. Rockwell
Albert F. Rockwell 1862 – 1925 Inventor, manufacturer, public- spirited citizen. He gave to the city this park and contributed liberally to its development. His initiave and counsel were of great value in the civic and . . . — Map (db m34281) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — Bristol
[ front ] Bristol Bristol was originally a part of Farmington. In 1663 an easterly portion called "Poland" was granted to Thomas Barnes and three others. The area which later became Bristol was allotted in 1721 to Farmington settlers. In . . . — Map (db m33237) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — Bristol Civil War Memorial
[ east side ] Members of Bristol Co. K. 16. Reg. C.V. Capt. Newton S. Manross. Killed at Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862. Ae. 37 Henry Aldrich. Killed at Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862. Ae. 11 Frank E. Wilcox. Died in Hospital, Nov. 9, 1862. Ae. . . . — Map (db m33231) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — Bristol Korean War Monument
Korean War 1950 – 1953 Served With Honor to those who died Honor And Eternal Rest to those still missing Remembrance And Hope to those who returned Gratitude And Peace [ plaque at the base ] James E. Baehr • . . . — Map (db m33463) WM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — Bristol Persian Gulf War Monument
August 7, 1994 This plaque is in recognition of all the men and women from Bristol and Forestville who served their country with pride during the Persian Gulf War, Operation Desert Storm. — Map (db m33520) WM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — Bristol Revolutionary War Plaque
In Memory Of The Revolutionary War Patriots Who Sacrificed Their Lives And Fortune For Their Country Placed By Katherine Gaylord Chapter Daughters Of The American Revolution 1964 — Map (db m33517) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — Bristol Spanish War Veterans Monument
[ upper plaque ] Philippine Islands Cuba Porto Rico U.S.A. Spanish War Veterans 1898 - 1902 [ lower plaque ] To Perpetuate the memory of the Citizens of Bristol Who served in the War with Spain, Philippine . . . — Map (db m34283) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — Bristol Veterans Monument
In Honor And Tribute Of All Veterans Past, Present And Future Let Us Visit Here For Gratitude And Remembrance — Map (db m33510) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Bristol — Bristol Vietnam Conflict Monument
[ front ] In Memory Of Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice [ back ] Made The Supreme Sacrifice Pelletier, Lawrence Joseph • Wade, Melvin A. • Levesque, Roland Philip • Thibeault, Gilbert • Jacob, Robert Michael • Nestico, . . . — Map (db m33465) HM

1900 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 1500
Paid Advertisement