Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Historical Markers in Delaware

872 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 472
 
The Gray Box Chateau image, Touch for more information
By Nate Davidson, December 30, 2010
The Gray Box Chateau
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — The Gray Box Chateau
The Gray Box Chateau 24 North Main Street Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1764 — Map (db m39679) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — The John Cummins Mansion
The John Cummins Mansion has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior - May 23, 1980 — Map (db m39677) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-103 — Thomas D. Clayton School
In 1919, a new era for education in Delaware was initiated when a statewide effort to replace old and outdated facilities was undertaken. In 1922, the new Smyrna Colored School opened its doors for African-Americans and other persons of color . . . — Map (db m141287) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-113 — Union Cemetery
The name Union Cemetery is derived from the fact that this burial site was created to inter deceased members affiliated with the African-American houses of worship in this area. Originally owned by James and Hester Till, the land for the cemetery . . . — Map (db m130460) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Viola — KC-58 — Immigrant Jewish Farms
Delaware’s first Jewish farmers, Isaac and Ida Beinoff, settled here in 1897. Like those to follow, they were recent immigrants fleeing poverty and oppression in their native Russia. Between 1912 and 1929, the Jewish Agriculture Society, based in . . . — Map (db m142529) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Viola — K-15 — North Murderkill Hundred
Formerly part of Murderkill Hundred, originally called Motherkill Hundred, kill meaning creek in Dutch. Original boundaries were St. Jones Creek on north, and Murderkill Creek on south, extending from Delaware River to Maryland line. In 1867, . . . — Map (db m51113) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Willow Grove — KC-118 — Samuel D. Burris
Samuel D. Burris, a free African-American conductor on the Underground Railroad resided in the Willow Grove area during the 1840s. He helped enslaved people find their pathway to freedom in Philadelphia. Caught for aiding and abetting runaway slaves . . . — Map (db m142503) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Wyoming — KC-116 — Caesar Rodney School District
State Consolidated District No. 1 was authorized and created on July 1, 1915. Seven months later on February 28, 1916, voters of the district approved the request of the State Board of Education by a vote of 52 to 1 to bond together schools in the . . . — Map (db m94381) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Wyoming — KC-99 — Coming of the Railroad
Efforts to establish rail transportation in Delaware were realized in 1832 with the completion of the New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad connecting shipping traffic on the Chesapeake Bay and Delaware River. The promise of railroads was clearly . . . — Map (db m39604) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Wyoming — KC-63 — Town of Wyoming
The construction of the Delaware Railroad in the 1850s led to the establishment of the Delmarva Peninsula’s first and most important north-south railway transportation artery. Proximity to the nearby community of Camden resulted in the location of a . . . — Map (db m39603) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Arden — Grubb Family Burying Ground

In 1677, John Grubb (1652-1708) came from Stoke Climsland, Cornwall and settled on the Delaware River at "Grubb's Landing." He was one of the first Englishmen in Delaware.

John and his wife Francis raised nine children: Emanuel Grubb . . . — Map (db m102482) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Arden — NC-92 — Village of Arden
Arden is an intentional community, founded in 1900 by social reformers Frank Stephens, a sculptor, and Will Price, and architect, to create a society based on Henry George’s Single Tax economics and William Morris’s arts and crafts philosophy. . . . — Map (db m92287) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Bear — NC-126 — Sgt. James P. Connor Memorial Circle
Born in Wilmington, Delaware, on January 12, 1919, James P. Connor entered the U.S. Army in January 1941. As a member of the 7th Infantry, 3rd Division, he was a participant in the amphibious landing at Cape Cavalaire in southern France. On August . . . — Map (db m10700) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NC-173/89 — Christiana Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Known in its early days as the "Presbyterian Church at Christiana Bridge," this congregation was organized in the 1730s. A church structure was built on this site soon after and a graveyard was established by the mid-18th century. Rev. Charles . . . — Map (db m122262) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NC-98 — Christiana United Methodist Church
The origin of this congregation may be traced to the earliest days of Methodism in America. In March, 1771, Joseph Pilmore, one of the first Methodist missionaries from England, preached outdoors at Christiana. Upon returning in 1773, Reverend . . . — Map (db m13553) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NC-51 — Lafayette
General Lafayette enroute to Virginia, to command expedition against Benedict Arnold, landed 1500 troops here, with cannon, stores, and ammunition, March 2, 1781. Council of Maryland issued warrant to impress carriages, teams and drivers for his use . . . — Map (db m142648) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NC-184 — Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1813 a group of African-American Methodists led by Peter Spencer formed an independent denomination that came to be known as the African Union Church. It was the first incorporated religious body in the United States controlled entirely by . . . — Map (db m13554) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NC-52 — Samuel Patterson
Operated flour mill one-fourth mile south. Was captain in French and Indian War. In American Revolution was member of Boston Relief Committee, colonel of Delaware battalion of famous "Flying Camp," Brigadier General of Delaware militia and first . . . — Map (db m67210) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — Talbot's Fort
Colonel George Talbot , cousin of Lord Baltimore, in defiance of William Penn's claim to Delaware,erected a fort nearby, 1684, on land of the Widow Ogle. Talbot dispossessed settlers between here and Iron Hill who refused to acknowledge Baltimore as . . . — Map (db m60040) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NCC-231 — The Last Mustering of The First Delaware Regiment
An Act of the Second Continental Congress established the Delaware Regiment on December 9th, 1775. Delawareans were eager to fight for Independence from Great Britain, and the regiment quickly grew to over 700 men in 1776. The regiment was initially . . . — Map (db m142646) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-176 — Archmere
This was once the home of John Jakob Raskob (1879-1950), financier, DuPont and General Motors executive, Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, and developer of the Empire State Building. Known as "The Patio," his palatial home was . . . — Map (db m14697) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-123 — Church of the Ascension
The roots of this congregation can be traced to 1843 and the missionary efforts of the Rev. Greenbury W. Ridgely and the Rt. Rev. Alfred Lee, who conducted services every other Sunday in the Claymont Stone School. The church was accepted into the . . . — Map (db m14700) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-105 — Claymont Stone School
Also known as Naaman's Creek School No. 1, THE CLAYMONT STONE SCHOOL was built on land donated by John Dickinson, the "Penman of the American Revolution," in 1805. The building was expanded and renovated in 1905. Evidence suggests that it may have . . . — Map (db m14699) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-192 — Grubb/Worth Mansion
John Grubb, one of the original English settlers in Delaware, acquired a one-third interest in a 600 acre tract of land at this location in 1680. Several generations passed and the Grubb family greatly increased their land holdings in the area and . . . — Map (db m92285) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-162 — Hickman Row
The industrial expansion of Brandywine Hundred in the late 19th and early 20th centuries was largely reflective of national trends in the growth and development of heavy industry. As large corporations moved to locations outside of major cities, . . . — Map (db m92286) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — Mother Catherine Rosarii

First Superior 1951 - 1957 — Map (db m102512) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-99 — Old Claymont High School
Constructed 1924-25. Also known as the Green Street School. Prominent in United States history as the first public high school in the 17 segregated states to be legally integrated. In January 1951, eight black students applied for admission. Due . . . — Map (db m14705) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-160 — Robinson House
The oldest portion of this structure is believed to have been built circa 1730. In the 1740s the house and surrounding property were sold to Philadelphia merchant Thomas Robinson. Other holdings included a milling operation and landing on nearby . . . — Map (db m14704) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-91 — The Darley House
The home of world-renowned illustrator Felix O.C. Darley (1822-1888). Built in the late 18th century and enlarged several times during the first half of the 19th century, the house was purchased by Darley in 1863 and renamed "The Wren's Nest." . . . — Map (db m14137) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — The Guardian of Defenders Memorial
Dedicated in Honor of the Men and Women of the United States Armed Forces who gave the Last Full Measure of Devotion for their Nation in the Global War on Terrorism-Operation Enduring Freedom-Operation Iraqi Freedom. — Map (db m140035) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Collins Park — NCC-30 — The Collins Park Bombings
On February 24, 1959 George, Lucille, and Geraldine Rayfield, an African American family, moved into their new home at 107 Bellanca Lane. As they moved in 300 protesters gathered out front, angered over the news that the Rayfields had moved into the . . . — Map (db m130574) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Batteries Hentig and DoddThe 1890s modernization continued
By the turn of the century, Fort Delaware had become part of a coastal defense system, linking Fort Mott in New Jersey and Fort Dupont in Delaware. Batteries* Hentig and Dodd, which each housed two rapid-fire guns, were intended to furnish . . . — Map (db m21662) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — ChapelFort DuPont
Fort DuPont’s Chapel was constructed in 1941 to meet the spiritual needs of soldiers preparing to go abroad. The spire of this indicates its non-denominational status.

The Army considered wooden structures “temporary.” Most of the . . . — Map (db m140404) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NC-100 — Christ Episcopal ChurchDelaware City
In 1847, the Reverend Andrew F. Freeman and the Reverend Thomas F. Billop were appointed as a committee to organize and solicit subscriptions for a Protestant Episcopal church in Delaware City. The parish was formally organized on May 28, 1848, when . . . — Map (db m10208) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Commanding Officer QuartersFort DuPont
Constructed in 1910 at the head of Officers Row, the Commanding Officer Quarters sits on what was once Delaware City farmland.

The building is prominently located on the north corner of the Parade Ground, a highly visible and dominating . . . — Map (db m140437) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Delaware City Fire CompanyIn Memory of Our Members
March 17, 1887 First Organized; January 23, 1889 Delaware City Hose Co.; July 9, 1924 Reorganized Delaware City Fire Co. No. 1; January 29, 1926 Incorporated; November 7, 2004 815 Fifth St. — Map (db m140485) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NC-97 — Delaware City School No. 118C
In 1919 Delaware radically altered its state school system, opening a new era in the education of African-American youth. Progress was stimulated by the efforts of the Delaware School Auxiliary Association and its primary supporter, P.S. duPont, who . . . — Map (db m10445) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Delaware Historic Civil Engineering Landmark
Chesapeake & Delaware Canal Designated 1982, Delaware Section, ASCE — Map (db m10204) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NCC-227 — Fort DuPont
This fort was originally established in 1863 as the Ten Gun Battery opposite Fort Delaware. In 1897 construction began on concrete gun batteries armed with long-range rifles, rapid-fire rifles and mortars. The fort was renamed in honor of Rear . . . — Map (db m140397) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Fort DuPont World War II Memorial
The U.S Army’s World War II XIII Corps (Dec ’42-Sept ’45) stationed its headquarters at Ft. DuPont (May ’43-June’44) prior to transferring to Eto. XIII Corps troops reached the Elbe River, near Tangermunde, Germany, in April 1945, the closest that . . . — Map (db m140451) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Historic Delaware City
Delaware City’s story begins in 1801 when the Newbold brothers, Barzilla, Clayton, and John, of New Jersey, acquired 1600 acres of land on the Delaware River, John Newbold built a wharf that became a center for trading and shipping grain, giving the . . . — Map (db m140461) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — In Memory of W. Emerson Wilson1908 - 1982
Through his leadership Pea Patch Island was returned to the State of Delaware by the Federal Government in 1948. He was the founder and first president of the Fort Delaware Society, January 1950 and was elected chairman of the board in 1956. — Map (db m10207) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Officers RowFort DuPont
Officers Row was a home to commissioned officers and their families. The road was the originally the Henry farmhouse driveway leading from the canal (bottom left). The fountain replaced the “triangle” between Officers Row, Elm and Maple. . . . — Map (db m140434) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NC-178 — Old Delaware City Public School
Delaware City was founded in 1826, in anticipation of the opening of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. The town was incorporated in 1851. The benefits of proximity to the canal resulted in a sustained period by prosperity and expansion of the . . . — Map (db m94190) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Parade GroundsFort DuPont
This 18 acres of open space has been the focal point for most of the fort’s existence and has served many purposes over the years.

Geographically, the Parade Ground separated officers’ quarters from enlisted barracks and utilitarian buildings. . . . — Map (db m140448) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Pea Patch Island
Fort Delaware is located on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River. The island is sometimes said to have gotten its name from a boat loaded with peas that ran aground on a mud shoal in the 1770s. The spilled peas sprouted, mud caught in the vines, . . . — Map (db m21589) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Post ExchangeFort DuPont
The Post Exchange (PX) was constructed in 1906. Later known as Burton Hall, the PX was multi-purpose facility that over the years included a gymnasium, bowling alley, barber shop, pool tables, soda fountain, exchange and library. — Map (db m140449) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Post HeadquartersFort DuPont
This is the fort’s headquarters, also known as the administration building, constructed in 1901. The first floor of the building contained offices, the second floor was used for courts martial and records storage. The fort’s first official . . . — Map (db m140447) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Sally Port
In its original state, heavy iron-studded oak doors (like the one before you) stood at both ends of the sally port. Large granite blocks, quarried in Quincy, Massachusetts, line its walls. A sample of the fort’s fine brickwork can be seen on the . . . — Map (db m21665) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — The Diving Bell
Made in Philadelphia 1839 for the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal Company, it was used as an air chamber for workmen to make underwater repairs on the lock gates. The canal was opened in 1829 and was operated until the sea level canal was opened at . . . — Map (db m10201) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Elsmere — NC-199 — The "Annie Oakleys": First Female Prison Guards in the United States
Completed in 1901, the New Castle County Workhouse at Greenbank was named the first penal institution in the United States to employ armed female guards. Nicknamed "Annie Oakleys" for their excellent shooting ability with the machine guns and rifles . . . — Map (db m74277) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Glasgow — NC-142 — Aiken's Tavern Historic District
In the years prior to the Revolutionary War, John Aiken commenced the operation of a tavern and storehouse at this location near the intersection of two of the major roadways of the Delmarva Peninsula. Aided by their proximity to this important . . . — Map (db m39592) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Greenville — NC-78 — Camp Brandywine
In the Civil War the first camp of this name was at Wilmington Fair Grounds for the First and Second Delaware Regiments. The same name was given this site in September 1862 for a camp of Pennsylvania troops sent to guard powder mills. They were . . . — Map (db m45573) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Greenville — Pierre Samuel DuPont de Nemours Memorial
Sacred to the memory of Pierre Samuel DuPont de Nemours Knight of the Order of Vasa, of the Legion of Honor and of the Order of Du Lis, Counselor of State, Member of the First Constituent Assembly, President of the Council of Ancients and member of . . . — Map (db m128801) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Greenville — NCC-222 — Saint Joseph on the Brandywine Church
As early as 1813, Mass was celebrated in private homes throughout the area. St. Joseph Church was built in 1841 by a diverse community of Roman Catholic immigrants to meet the needs of the growing Catholic population. The nearby DuPont powder . . . — Map (db m128683) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — Ashland BridgeRed Clay Creek — Listed on National Register of Historic Places – 1973 —
Original Town Lattice Truss Covered Bridge – ca. 1850 Bridge Deck Rehabilitated – 1964 Listed on National Register of Historic Places – 1973 Complete Rehabilitation & Steel Beams Added – 1982 Rehabilitated Stone . . . — Map (db m62043) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-140 — Chippey African Union Methodist Church
In 1813 a group of African-American Methodists formed an independent denomination known as the African Union Church. It was the first incorporated religious body in the United States controlled entirely by African-Americans. In 1866 the African . . . — Map (db m92146) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-194 — First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin
Local tradition states that a school was present at this location as early as 1829. However, in 1878 the first documented school for African-Americans in Hockessin was established in this vicinity. The school was funded and built primarily by the . . . — Map (db m94251) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-198 — Hockessin Friends Meetinghouse
The Hockessin Friends Meeting has operated with an active membership and regular services, known as Meetings for Worship, since its founding. The Meeting is part of the larger Philadelphia Yearly Meeting faith community.

The expansion of the . . . — Map (db m92144) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-137 — Hockessin School #107C
Also known as the Hockessin Colored School, this building was constructed in 1920 to serve the needs of the communities African-American students. Funding for construction was provided by the Delaware School Auxiliary Association and its primary . . . — Map (db m92145) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC219 — James Henry "Nip" Winters
Born in 1899 in Washington DC. James Henry Winters was a pitcher in the Negro leagues from 1919-1933. Winters, who was also known as "Jesse" and "Nip," was one of the top left-handed pitchers of his day. Known for his wild style and pitching speed, . . . — Map (db m94255) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-218 — St. John The Evangelist Church
Built in 1882, St. John the Evangelist Church was the third Catholic church to be built in the Hockessin area. Soon after it opened, St. John's established a parochial school in its hall. By 1934 the school was closed due to dwindling financial . . . — Map (db m94252) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-32 — St. Mary's Church
Site of the first Catholic church in Delaware, Usually called "Coffee Run" Church. Land purchased 1772 by Rev. Matthias Manners. First church erected shortly thereafter. Last church erected by Rev. Patrick Kenny. Remained standing until 1908. . . . — Map (db m43694) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NCC-228 — The Daniel Nichols House
British General Sir William Howe embarked on a campaign to capture the city of Philadelphia during the Revolutionary War in 1777. While marching from Cooch’s Bridge to Kennett Square onward to the Battle of Brandywine Howe and his army passed . . . — Map (db m140068) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-208 — Tweed's Tavern
Formerly known as "MudFort," this log structure was built circa 1790. The original two-story building measured 21 X 27 feet, and featured an attic and full stone basement. A later tax assessment describes the house as d"large" and cites the presence . . . — Map (db m94256) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — Wooddale BridgeRed Clay Creek
Original Town Lattice Truss Covered Bridge - ca. 1850 Rehabilitated - 1939 Steel Beams Added - 1981 Destroyed by Flood/ Steel Acrow Bridge Placed - 2003 Town Lattice Truss Covered Bridge Replacement - 2008 Engineering & Project Management - . . . — Map (db m73000) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-16 — Commodore Thomas Macdonough
Early home of Commodore Thomas Macdonough. Hero of Battle of Lake Champlain 1814. Born 1783. Died 1825. Commodore 1813. Assisted Commodore Decatur in capturing and burning the "Philadelphia" off the coast of Tripoli, 1804. Original name of village . . . — Map (db m10305) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-210 — Former Site of the Alston and Hunn Farms
Near this location were the farms of John Alston (1794-1872) and John Hunn (1818-1894), cousins who shared the Quaker faith and were well documented operatives on Delaware's Underground Railroad. John Alston sometimes employed fugitives as laborers . . . — Map (db m88341) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-135 — Locust GroveHome of Governor Joshua Clayton
This home was once the residence of Joshua Clayton (1744-1798), an eminent physician and distinguished government leader in post-Revolutionary Delaware. After attending the University of Pennsylvania he established a successful local practice and . . . — Map (db m10699) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NCC-240 — Louis L. Redding Comprehensive High School
The Louis L. Redding Comprehensive High School opened in 1953 and served African American students in grades 1-12 in the Middletown area. It replaced the smaller Middletown School 120-C, a three-room wood structure on East Lake Street. The school . . . — Map (db m141497) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-133 — McDonough Burial Ground
Here lie the remains of the family of James McDonough, an Irish immigrant who purchased land at this location in 1748. Seven children were raised here by James and his wife Lydia. Their eldest, Thomas McDonough, was a prominent local physician. In . . . — Map (db m92152) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-118 — Middletown
Beginning in the 1690s, settler Adam Peterson and his family acquired several tracts of land here. One tract, surveyed in 1733 was given the name "Middletown." The origin of the name is believed to derive from the area's location at the middle point . . . — Map (db m10613) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-144 — Middletown Academy
In 1824 area residents petitioned the General Assembly for a lottery to erect a building for education and public worship. Construction of the Academy began in 1826 and was completed the next year. For many years the building served as the center of . . . — Map (db m10612) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-74 — Old St. Anne's(P. E. Church)
As early as 1705 a log chapel was established at '' Appoquinimy' by the S.P.G. with the Rev. Thomas Jenkins appointed its first missionary, 1708. Queen Anne of England, for whom the Church was named, is said to have been a patron. This Church was . . . — Map (db m34695) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-114 — Sgt. William Lloyd NelsonCongressional Medal of Honor Recipient
William Lloyd Nelson was born near Dover, Delaware, on February 22, 1918. He was the son of J. Clarence and Carrie Phillips Nelson. Following his family's move to a farm near Middletown, he was educated in the public schools of the community. He . . . — Map (db m10609) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — This Tree Was Living When William Penn Came to Pennsylvania
1682 - 1932 This tree was living when William Penn came to Pennsylvania 1682 White Oak, Quercus Alba Girth Breast High, 1932, 14ft. 4 ins. — Map (db m73845) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — Three Welsh Members
Three Welsh members of the St. George's Anglican Church were reinterred here on Jun 20, 1937, the 232nd anniversary of St. Anne's Parish. Their remains were removed from the church cemetery when the C & D Canal was widened in 1937. — Map (db m73846) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-214 — Union Lodge No. 5 A.F.&A.M.
Chartered on June 24, 1765 by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania A.Y.M., Lodge No. 5 at Cantwell's Bridge (later known as Odessa) became the first Masonic lodge established in Delaware. The lodge was admitted to membership under the Grand Lodge of . . . — Map (db m94182) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-47 — Welsh Tract
Approximate southern boundary of tract of thirty thousand acres granted by William Penn to the Welsh in 1701. It included what is now Pencader Hundred, Delaware, and a part of Cecil County, Maryland. — Map (db m3769) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NCC-237 — Witherspoon Tavern
David Witherspoon, born in Ireland, built this tavern in 1761 as a midpoint between waterways to the east and west. While traveling to the Continental Congress, Thomas Jefferson lodged here on June 20, 1775. George Washington also dined at the . . . — Map (db m141456) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-145 — Booker T. Washington School No. 109C
Built in 1923 with funding provided by Pierre S. duPont for schools in Delaware, this school replaced New Castle’s first school for “colored” students that was built in 1867 on Williams Street. The Delaware School Auxiliary Association . . . — Map (db m92290) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-22 — Broad Dyke
Original dyke built by Dutch 1655. Centre of Twelve Mile Circle marking top of Delaware, surveyed 1701, by Empson and Pusey. — Map (db m25532) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-15 — Buena Vista
Built in 1845 by John M. Clayton (1796-1856) Secretary of State in President Taylor's cabinet. He also served Delaware as U.S. Senator, jurist and Secretary of State. He drafted the Clayton-Bulwer Treaty, which eventually guaranteed that the Panama . . . — Map (db m14131) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-174 — Buttonwood School
In 1919 a school was established in the Buttonwood Methodist Church to serve the needs of “colored” students in the growing neighborhood. The first teacher was James Matthew Coulbourne. In 1926 a new one room school housing grades 1-8 . . . — Map (db m92291) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Captain John Evans

Sacred To the memory of My beloved Husband Capt. John Evans. Of 2nd Reg. Del. Vols. After having distinguished himself at the Battles of Gains Mills [sic], Savage Station, Peach Orchard, White Oak, Malvern Hill, Antietam, . . . — Map (db m102551) HM WM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-193 — Crane Hook Church — ••• —
Built in 1667, Crane Hook Church was located one mile east of here on what is now Pigeon Point Road. The Church took its name from the land located between here and the Delaware River. Under Dutch leadership, this area was colonized by the Swedes . . . — Map (db m67354) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Memorial — by the Delaware River and Bay Authority —
Desert Shield • Desert Storm A tribute to all members of the United States Armed Forces who gallantly and courageously performed their duties during the Desert Shield Operation and the Desert Storm War Action in Kuwait-Iraq and Saudi . . . — Map (db m68265) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware & New Jersey WWII Submariners MemorialDedicated to those who serve in Submarines of the U.S. Navy — The Silent Service ~ Pride Runs Deep —
Left Side of Marker U.S. Submarine Veterans World War II 52 United States Submarines On Eternal Patrol U.S. Navy Submarines Paid Heavily for their success in World War II 374 Officers and 3131 Men are on board these . . . — Map (db m68549) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware Memorial Bridge1951 - 1968 — Dedicated to the Delaware & New Jersey Veterans of WWII —
Delaware Memorial Bridge 1951 - 1968 South Span Dedicated August 18, 1951 North Span Dedicated September 12, 1968 Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey dedicated these Bridges on September 12, 1968 to the Men and Women of the State . . . — Map (db m68255) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware River and Bay Authority Veterans Dedication
Dedicated to our Veterans Whose Loyalty and Service during times of war and peace define the character of this great Nation — Map (db m68462) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware River and Bay Authority Vietnam MemorialIn Memory of Vietnam War Dead
In Memory of Vietnam War Dead Dedicated to those from Delaware and New Jersey who made the Supreme Sacrifice in the Service of their Country — Map (db m68262) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware Street Wharf ReconstructionNov. 1982 - May 1983
The original landing was started during the 17th century of stone filled wood cribs, being enlarged several times. The city acquired ownership from the New Castle Frenchtown Railroad Co. in 1914, and rebuilt the wharf with a concrete face on new . . . — Map (db m57133) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware's Independence Hall

Built in 1732 as the statehouse for Pennsylvania's "Three Lower Counties on the Delaware," the New Castle Court House was the scene of a dramatic vote on June 15, 1776 when the colonial assembly declared independence from both Great Britain and . . . — Map (db m102546) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Fort Casimir
was built by the Dutch in 1651 and recaptured by them from the Swedes, 1655. Site now lies beneath the Delaware 250 feet E.N.E. from this stone which is erected by the Delaware Society of the Colonial Dames of America, 1905, to commemorate the . . . — Map (db m57130) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Fort Casimir: Key to the Early Delaware Valley
In the mid-1600s this site was the focal point of a three-nation struggle for control of the Delaware River. Dutch military leaders recognized the strategic importance of this place in controlling river traffic in 1651 and established a fort here. . . . — Map (db m130462) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Frenchtown Railroad Sleepers
These stones were sleepers in the New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad. Completed in 1831. The first railroad in Delaware and one of the first in the United States. — Map (db m25531) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — General Thomas Holcomb17th Commandant of the Marine Corps — 1936-1943 —
"You will be the first officer of the Corps to hold the rank of General - the highest rank in our Armed Forces. I know of no other officer to whom that distinction more fittingly belongs." - Secretary of the U.S. Navy, 1944

On December 1, . . . — Map (db m57127) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — George Read
born A.D. 1732 Died 21st September 1798 Member of the Congress of the Revolution. The Convention that framed the Constitution of the U. S. and of The first Senate under it. Judge of admiralty President and Chief Justice of Delaware and a signer of . . . — Map (db m54693) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — George Read

Signer of the Declaration of Independence

We mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honorMap (db m102598) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-A9 — Gunning Bedford House
Built about 1760. Home of Gunning Bedford, eleventh governor of Delaware, born 1742. Lieut-Col. in Haslet's Delaware Regiment. Wounded in Battle of White Plains 1776. Presidential Elector 1788. Also home of Caleb P. Bennett, twenty-ninth governor of . . . — Map (db m25558) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-A6 — Historic Museum
Rear of house built in seventeenth century. Main building built after 1738 by Dr. John Finney. Home of Nicholas Van Dyke, seventh Governor of Delaware. The marriage of Ann Van Dyke to Kensey Johns, Sr. took place here April 24, 1784. George . . . — Map (db m54703) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-A8 — Home of George Read
Site of home of George Read. Born September 18, 1733. Died September 21, 1798. Member of The Congress of the Revolution. The convention that framed The Constitution of The United States, and of the first senate under it. Judge of Admiralty, . . . — Map (db m25560) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — In Memory of Philip and Lydia Laird
Former owners of the Read House, their home for fifty-five years. They were longtime benefactors of New Castle doing much to encourage and promote the preservation and architectural beauty of this colonial town. — Map (db m54697) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Korean War Veterans MemorialThe Forgotten War — 1950-1953 —
. . . — Map (db m68655) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-25 — Landing Place of William Penn
Near here October 27, 1682, William Penn first stepped on American soil. He proceeded to the fort and performed Livery of Seisin. “He took the key, thereof,…we did deliver unto him 1 turf with a twig upon it, a porringer with river water and . . . — Map (db m3530) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Mary Wansey

Here lie the remains of Mary Wansey Wife of George Wansey of Towanda, Bradford Co., Pa. She died at Sea Aug. 8th. 1842 on her return from Italy aged 37 years. — Map (db m102550) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Midshipman John Stockton, United States Navy

Wounded in Battle of Lake Ontario May 28th Died at Kingston Canada May 30th 1813 aged 26 years

[Also on monument] John Stockton Born 1755, Died Oct. 29, 1822 An Officer of the Revolution.

Thomas Stockton Born April . . . — Map (db m102608) WM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-217 — Mount Salem U.M. Church
In 1854, a Methodist Society was organized in the African American community in New Castle. Not long after the society's inception, the group adopted the name Mount Salem Methodist Church and purchased land on which to build a church. Mount Salem's . . . — Map (db m94193) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-26 — New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad
Built 1832. One of first railroads in country. Extended from this point to Frenchtown on the Elk River. Important connecting link between the North and South. Absorbed by Delaware Railroad 1856. — Map (db m3549) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — New Castle and Frenchtown RailroadLinking the Delaware River to the Chesapeake Bay

New Castle has a long history as a national transportation link. In the 1820s a turnpike connected ships on the Delaware River with ships on the Chesapeake Bay. However, the turnpike was in poor condition. Progressive town leaders saw . . . — Map (db m102543) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-13 — New Castle Common
This land is part of a tract of one thousand acres set apart by William Penn in 1701 for the inhabitants of the town of New Castle. Trustees were appointed and incorporated by Penn’s heirs in 1764, whose successors still hold and manage the land. — Map (db m3212) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — New Castle Court House 1732New Castle Historic District

New Castle Historic District has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exception value in commemorating or illustrating . . . — Map (db m64763) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — New Castle Killed In Action Memorial
Erected in grateful memory of the men of this community who gave their lives in defense of freedom Reuben J. Dunn John L. Cassidy Frank J. Cox John L. Sullivan John W. Megginson Jr. Anthony F. Marcozzi Charles F. Yetter, Jr. . . . — Map (db m130463) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-111 — New Castle United Methodist Church
The origin of Methodism in this community can be traced to the years prior to the American Revolution, when pioneering clergymen such as Thomas Webb and Francis Asbury visited here to spread the message of their faith. Due to the predominance of . . . — Map (db m54700) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-24 — Packet Alley
Packet boats from Philadelphia met stage coaches here for Frenchtown, Maryland, chief line of communication from North to Baltimore and South. Andrew Jackson, David Crockett, Daniel Webster, Henry Clay, Lord Ashburton, Sam Houston, Louis Napoleon, . . . — Map (db m25559) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-189 — Penn Farm
The 112-acre Penn Farm is the last surviving farm of the 1,068-acre New Castle Common. William Penn, Proprietor and Governor of Pennsylvania, made his warrant in writing under his hand and seal in October 1701, granting the New Castle Common . . . — Map (db m128897) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Penn's Place
Penn's Place circa 1682 Formerly Wm Penn Guest House — Map (db m130461) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-75/256 — Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Founded as a Dutch Reformed Church, 1657. The first building was on the Strand end of the church lot. This church was one of 7 which organized the first Presbytery in America in 1706. Present brick meeting house was built 1707. — Map (db m122259) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Read House & GardensDelaware Historical Society
In 1797 the foundation of George Read II's mansion was laid only feet from his statesman father's home on a busy New Castle street. By 1805 the stylish Federal period house towered over its neighbors. A fire claimed the home of George Read I, as . . . — Map (db m54704) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Revolutionary War Patriots in the Immanuel Churchyard

John Aicken • Archibald Alexander • Gov. Gunning Bedford John Bird • James Booth, Sr. • James Carter The Rev. Robert Clay • Thomas Clay • William Clay Dr. Mark Elliot • Stephen Gilbert • Isaac Grantham John Hall • William Hazlett • . . . — Map (db m102564) WM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Sheriff's House and County Jail

In 1857 New Castle County constructed a new prison complex on this site. Designed by famous Philadelphia architect, Samuel Sloan, the facility had two parts. The Sheriff's House (seen at left in this 1893 photo) provided a roomy residence for . . . — Map (db m102541) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-134 — Site of Bellanca Airfield
An airfield, aircraft plant, and service hangar were built here in 1928 by Giuseppe Mario Bellanca and Henry B. duPont. An aviation pioneer, Bellanca immigrated from Italy in 1912. His plane Columbia was Charles Lindbergh's choice for a . . . — Map (db m14133) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-23 — Site of Fort Casimir
One hundred feet to the East of this point is the site of Fort Casimir. Erected by Dutch in 1651. Taken by Swedes 1654, called Fort Trafaldigheets or Trinity, retaken by Dutch under Petrus Stuyvesant in person September 11, 1655. — Map (db m130334) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-158 — St. John's Lodge No. 2Grand Lodge of Delaware, A.F.&A.M.
First chartered by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania as Lodge No. 33 on April 3, 1781. Early meetings were held alternately at Christiana Bridge and New Castle. This was one of four Lodges whose representatives gathered in Wilmington on June 6 and 7, . . . — Map (db m14134) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-28 — The Green or Market Plaine
Laid out by Petrus Stuyvesant, Dutch Governor, 1655. On this green stood the old jail and gallows. Here were held the great fairs and weekly markets from early times. — Map (db m3423) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — The Old Library

The Old Library was designed by Philadelphia architect, Frank Furness, and built by the New Castle Library Company in 1892.

The Library Company, chartered in 1812, had housed its collection of classics and law books in the Academy (built in . . . — Map (db m102549) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-73 — The River Road
Portion of the early cart road laid out by Augustine Herrman, Lord of Bohemia Manor to connect his Maryland estate with Appoquinimink Creek and the Town of New Castle. Known as the “The Old Man’s Road”, this was one of the earliest links . . . — Map (db m64571) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — The Welcome Society of Pennsylvania
Honors the city of New Castle, Delaware where William Penn first landed in the New World, 27 October 1682. — Map (db m57128) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-A5 — Van Dyke House
Built about 1820 by Senator Nicholas Van Dyke. The marriage of Dorcas Van Dyke to Charles I. DuPont took place here Oct. 6, 1824. At this wedding the Marquis de LaFayette was a guest, and gave the bride in marriage. — Map (db m57131) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Wounded Combat Veterans Memorial — Dedicated to all men and women wounded in all wars —
. . . — Map (db m68261) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Albert Gallatin Lewis
With deep gratitude for their commitment to education and service, the University of Delaware recognizes Albert Gallatin Lewis, his family and heirs, on whose land this building was built as a schoolhouse in 1884. — Map (db m131156) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Alumni Hall
[Left plaque] Alumni Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places [Right plaque] Alumni Hall Erected before 1810 — Map (db m131117) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-41 — American PositionBattle of Cooch's Bridge
On September 3, 1777, an American Light Infantry Corps composed of Continental soldiers from New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, with militia from Pennsylvania and Delaware, was stationed west of Christina Creek between Aikentown . . . — Map (db m14788) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Annie Jump Cannon (1863-1941)
Some say the stars shine just a bit brighter over Cannon Hall, a residence hall built in 1952 and named for noted astronomer Annie Jump Cannon. As curator of the Harvard College Observatory, Dr. Cannon classified 350,000 stars and discovered . . . — Map (db m131155) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-A7 — Battle of Cooch's Bridge
American light infantry and cavalry under General William Maxwell encountered advance guard of British and Hessian troops under Generals Howe, Cornwallis and Knyphausen in this vicinity September 3, 1777. American troops were expert marksmen drafted . . . — Map (db m9774) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Beatrice Hartshorn (1897-1972)
Beatrice Hartshorn joined the Women's College at the University of Delaware in 1925 as head of the physical education program, which at the time consisted of rudimentary exercises and games. Miss Hartshorn, who served on the University faculty . . . — Map (db m131151) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-42 — British PositionBattle of Cooch's Bridge
On the morning of September 3, 1777, soldiers of the Hessian Field Jaeger Corps encountered American light infantry positioned in the woods and fields along this road, which led from Aikentown (Glasgow) to Cooch's Bridge. The Americans attacked the . . . — Map (db m57931) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-205 — Christiana Public School #111-C
Formal education for African American children in Christiana began in the 1880s with the construction of a one-room schoolhouse. Many African American schools in existence at this time were marked by dilapidated facilities, a lack of running water, . . . — Map (db m94284) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-106 — Deer Park Hotel
Since the mid-18th century an establishment for public hospitality has existed here. The first building, of wood construction, was known as St. Patrick's Inn. Famous visitors included surveyors Mason and Dixon. The property was purchased by James S. . . . — Map (db m9907) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Delaware Militia
The federal government recognized the need for a militia. It is mentioned in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The 2nd Amendment states “A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people . . . — Map (db m140138) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Delaware Militia
The federal government recognized the need for a militia. It is mentioned in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The 2nd Amendment states “A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people . . . — Map (db m140181) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Delaware's Field of Valor
On 3 September 1777 an American light infantry corps under the command of Brigadier General William Maxwell engaged British and Hessian forces here in the Battle of Cooch's Bridge. Maxwell's Corps was composed of soldiers from New Jersey, North . . . — Map (db m14789) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Dr. Walter J. Hullihen (1875-1944)President of the University of Delaware, 1920-44
Under President Hullihen's leadership, the two colleges known as Delaware College and the Women's College were officially joined and became known as the University of Delaware in 1921. Two years later, Hullihen inaugurated the internationally . . . — Map (db m131101) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — E. A. Trabant University Center
This building is named in honor of E. Arthur Trabant, who served two terms as President of the University of Delaware: 1968-87 and 1988-90. During his presidency, enrollment at the University doubled, the Laird Campus was developed, the University . . . — Map (db m131143) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-83 — Eastburn-Jeanes Mining Complex(c. 1816 - 1900's)
This is the site of the Eastburn-Jeanes farms and mining industry. Marble from the Cockeysville Formation, found in three quarries in the area, was heated in kilns to produce quick lime for fertilizer and mortar. The lime was transported over . . . — Map (db m92273) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-104 — Ebenezer United Methodist Church
The first meetings of this congregation were held in the homes of its members. In 1824 a stone church building was erected at this location. The growth of the congregation resulted in the replacement of the original building by a one-story frame . . . — Map (db m10443) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Elliott Hall
Elliott Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m131138) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Emalea Pusey Warner (1853-1948)
Emalea Pusey Warner was one of the most influential women in the history of the University of Delaware. She was the first woman appointed to its Board of Trustees, serving from 1928-42. The project closest to Mrs. Warner's heart was the . . . — Map (db m131148) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Enjoy the Pencader Area Today
If you are just "passing through" or are a new resident or even a life-long Delawarean, we hope to spark your interest in the varied activities available in the Pencader Hundred Area. Whether your are experiencing these for the first time or . . . — Map (db m10871) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Exploring the Past of Pencader Hundred
Exploring the Past of Pencader Hundred (Headings only-the lower scrip is not legible) Welsh Tract Church, Milling, Development of Roads, Iron Production, New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad, C & D Canal, Revolutionary War, Native American . . . — Map (db m140189) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — French General Comte de Rochambeau and the French Army MemorialDedicated April 5th, 2014 W3R-US Historic Trail
(Center Plaque) “The memorial is dedicated to the memory of French General Comte de Rochambeau and the French Army who camped on the Cooch Farm in 1781. The combined French and American Armies were traveling to Yorktown, Virginia, for their . . . — Map (db m139915) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — George Abram Harter (1853-1943)
George Abram Harter served as President of Delaware College, now the University of Delaware, from 1896 to 1914. A quiet scholar who enjoyed teaching, he was an administrator respected for his unwavering dedication to the college. Under his . . . — Map (db m131114) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — George Evans House
George Evans House has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Erected in 1863 — Map (db m131140) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — George Gillespie Evans (1815-1904)Charles Black Evans (1866-1933)
Delaware College, now University of Delaware, might have been a financial casualty of the Civil War period except for the assistance of George Gillespie Evans, a Newark merchant. Indeed, Delaware College did close for 11 years before, during and . . . — Map (db m131107) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Germans & German-Americans in The American War of Independence1776-1783
(left side text) German-Americans Fight for Independence-John Adams’ letter of 6 July 1775 to James Warren provides a most vivid image of one of thousands of German-Americans willing and anxious to fight for American independence: A few . . . — Map (db m139910) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944)
A New Englander born into modest means, Harry Fletcher Brown was a chemist who developed smokeless powder. In 1904, he joined the Du Pont Company and later became a benefactor of education and social services. Mr. Brown was an intense, . . . — Map (db m131094) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944)
During the height of the Great Depression, Harry Fletcher Brown first came to the aid of the University of Delaware and, over the next decade, became one of the University's most generous benefactors, financing construction of Brown Laboratory, . . . — Map (db m131115) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-115 — Head of Christiana Presbyterian Church
The first Presbyterian services in this area were conducted by Rev. John Wilson in 1706. Then pastor of New Castle Presbyterian Church, Rev. Wilson came every other Sunday to minister to the many residents of this area who had immigrated from . . . — Map (db m9979) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Hessian Soldiers Memorial
(Left plaque) This plaque is dedicated to the approximately 20 Hessian Soldiers who perished in these hallowed fields on September 3, 1777, and are buried here in unmarked graves. Hessian and British forces under Lord Cornwallis fought the Colonial . . . — Map (db m139924) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-159 — Hiram Lodge No. 25Grand Lodge of Delaware, A.F. & A.M.
By the 1780's members of the Masonic fraternity were organized and meeting locally. On December 6, 1802, a charter was issued by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania for Lodge No. 96 in Newark. This was one of four Lodges whose representatives gathered . . . — Map (db m9972) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Historic Iron Ore Mining
What is iron ore? Iron is a silvery-white, solid metal, though when found in Pencader Hundred, it commonly appears as a brown and sometimes nearly black oxide of iron. Its chemical symbol Fe, is derived from ferrum, the Latin word for . . . — Map (db m10705) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Historic Iron Ore Mining
What is iron ore?

Iron is a silvery-white, solid metal, though when found in Pencader Hundred, it commonly appears as a brown and sometimes nearly black oxide of iron. Its chemical symbol Fe, is derived from ferrum, the Latin word for iron. By . . . — Map (db m140211) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966)
An 1988 graduate of Delaware College, now the University of Delaware, Hugh Martin Morris was one of Delaware's most distinguished jurists, serving as a Wilmington attorney and, from 1919-30, as a U.S. District Judge for Delaware. A member of . . . — Map (db m131146) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968)
H. Rodney Sharp was only 16 when he entered Delaware College in 1896, and he graduated four years later in what was termed the "Class of aughty-aught." In 1915, he was appointed a Trustee. Mr. Sharp was deeply loyal to his alma mater. He . . . — Map (db m131111) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968)
Born in Sussex County, Del., Hugh Rodney Sharp spent four happy years at Delaware College, now the University of Delaware, graduating in 1900 at the age of 20. He went on to become a successful business executive, a University Trustee and one of the . . . — Map (db m131113) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — In Memoriam
To the men of the University of Delaware who died in the service of their country during World War II John H. Banks, III '46 Casimir L. Blaska '43 Robert J. Bostwick '31 Henry S. Brady, Jr. '34 Horace C. Brown '45 Robert W. . . . — Map (db m131103) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — In Memoriam
To the students of the University of Delaware who died in the service of their country during Asian Conflicts. Bird, Leonard A. '66 — Vietnam Flaherty, Kevin G. '63 — Vietnam Johnson, James R., Jr. '56 — Vietnam Lowdon, . . . — Map (db m131145) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — In the BeginningFormation of the Delmarva Peninsula
Left Column Delaware is the second smallest state in the country. However, we played an important role in the formation of the nation. Caesar Rodney rode from Lewes to Philadelphia to cast the deciding vote for independence in 1776. We were . . . — Map (db m10867) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Iron Hill School #112CPreserving History: The African-American Community of Iron Hill
The Iron Hill Museum is dedicated to the study of human and natural history of the Iron Hill Area. The Museum is currently engaged in a project to restore the Iron Hill School #112C and document the experiences of African-American students who . . . — Map (db m10053) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-211 — Iron Hill School #112-C
The Iron Hill area was a community of African American farming and mining families. Constructed in 1923, Iron Hill School #112-C was one of over 80 schools built with funding from Pierre S. duPont, who sought to replace rundown public schools with . . . — Map (db m94286) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Iron Hill School #112-C
The Iron Hill Museum is dedicated to the study of human and natural history of the Iron Hill Area. The Museum is currently engaged in a project to restore the Iron Hill School #112C and document the experiences of African-American students who . . . — Map (db m94288) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Jastak-Burgess HallSarah Jastak-Burgess ('54 M.A., '63 Ph.D.) — Leslie M. Burgess —
Jastak-Burgess Hall, home of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, is named in honor of psychologist Dr. Sara Jastak-Burgess and Leslie M. Burgess ('43 B.S. UC Berkeley, '61 MBA Harvard). Their generous gifts in support of this . . . — Map (db m131134) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — John A. Munroe ('36 B.A., '41 M.A.)
This building is named for renowned scholar John A. Munroe an authority on Delaware history and the author of many books, including a history of the University. After receiving his bachelor's and master's degrees from Delaware, he joined the history . . . — Map (db m131144) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — John A. Perkins Student Center
This building was named for John A. Perkins (1914-82), who served as President of the University of Delaware from 1950-67. His tenure marked one of the greatest periods of growth in the history of the University, with the undergraduate enrollment . . . — Map (db m131091) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-196 — Judge Morris Estate
This estate, now owned and operated by Delaware State Parks, was once known as Chestnut Hill and contains a manor house and approximately 500 acres of land. John Barclay acquired the property after the American Revolution and in 1792 built the main . . . — Map (db m128077) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Kent HallKent Dining Hall
Kent Resident Hall, constructed in 1956, is named after Kent County, located in the central part of Delaware and home of the First State's capital city of Dover. The adjoining Kent Dining Hall predates the residence hall by 31 years. The . . . — Map (db m131153) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Lammot du Pont Laboratory
This laboratory is named for Lammot du Pont (1831-1884), a gifted scientist and grandson of the founder of the DuPont Company. His many talents resulted in new products and enhancements to the company's operation. Recognized as a skilled . . . — Map (db m130514) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Laurel Hall
This building is named for the small southern Delaware town of Laurel, the birthplace of Mary Wooten Carpenter. Her Husband, Walter S. Carpenter, Jr., who served as President of the University of Delaware Board of Trustees from 1959-62, supported . . . — Map (db m131149) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Marquis de Lafayette
The great debt we owe the French people was repaid 136 years later during the First World War when the American Expeditionary Force arrived in France. On July 4, 1917, American troops marched through Paris, ending at the grave of Lafayette. At . . . — Map (db m140176) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Marquis de Lafayette
The great debt we owe the French people was repaid 136 years later during the First World War when the American Expeditionary Force arrived in France. On July 4, 1917, American troops marched through Paris, ending at the grave of Lafayette. At . . . — Map (db m140737) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Mason Dixon Line & the Boundaries of DelawareBoundary Disputes
The land we know as the State of Delaware and the State of Maryland was granted to George Calvert, first Lord of Baltimore in 1632 by King Charles I of England. William Penn was granted the land north of Maryland in 1681, now called Pennsylvania. In . . . — Map (db m139739) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Mason Dixon Line & the Boundaries of Delaware
Mason Dixon Line & the Boundaries of Delaware-Boundary Disputes The land we know as the State of Delaware and the State of Maryland was granted to George Calvert, first Lord of Baltimore in 1632 by King Charles I of England. William Penn was . . . — Map (db m140185) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Mechanical Hall
Mechanical Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m131137) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-151 — Meeteer House
In the late 18th century a paper mill was established by Thomas Meeteer on the banks of nearby White Clay Creek. In later years Thomas was succeeded in business by his sons Samuel and William. the property on which this house stands was purchased by . . . — Map (db m9976) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Memorial Hall
Located at the heart of The Green, Memorial Hall is a welcoming landmark and a signature building of the University of Delaware. The University community marks the passage of time by carillon music from atop the building, including hourly chimes, . . . — Map (db m130513) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Mentors' Circle
The University of Delaware has a proud legacy of being a teaching University and accordingly, acknowledges faculty who are distinguished by their contributions of teaching excellence and mentorship of students. The first member of the University's . . . — Map (db m130517) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Milling in Pencader Hundred
What is Milling? Milling is a process of taking whole bulbs, tubers, nuts, seeds, grains or other foods from its original size to a smaller size by pounding, grinding or rolling it until it is the consistency of a meal, flour or powder. . . . — Map (db m10712) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — New Castle Hall
This residence hall is named for the northernmost of Delaware's three counties, New Castle County. The City of Newark lies within its boundaries. The dormitory was constructed with state funding in 1925, in response to the expansion of the . . . — Map (db m131154) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-130 — New Century Club
In 1893 a group of Newark women established a literary and social organization known as the Tuesday Club. Later renamed the New Century Club, the organization became part of the General Federation of Women's Clubs. Committed to matters of civic . . . — Map (db m9969) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-183 — New London Avenue School
The first documented public school for African-American youth in the Newark community was established in 1867 by the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands. This was one of several schools established in Delaware during the post Civil War . . . — Map (db m92143) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NCC-245 — New London Road Community
The African American New London Road community can be traced back to 1786 when free black families began settling in the area. The community clustered around New London Road and was bounded by Cleveland Avenue to the south and Corbit and Ray Streets . . . — Map (db m139544) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-35 — Newark Academy
Founded at New London, Pennsylvania, in 1741 by Rev. Dr. Francis Alison, removed in 1752 to Cecil County, Md., and in 1767 to Newark. Chartered by Thomas and Richard Penn 1769. Closed from 1777 to 1780 on account of Revolutionary War. Merged with . . . — Map (db m9781) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-206 — Newark Passenger Railroad Station
Designed by architect and engineer S.T. Fuller, the Newark Passenger Railroad Station was built in 1877 at a cost of over $9,000.00 by the Philadelphia, Willimgton and Baltimore Railroad (P. W. & B) to replace an earlier frame building. An article . . . — Map (db m94282) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-136 — Newark United Methodist Church
By 1799 a small group of Methodists was organized and meeting in the homes of its members in the Newark area. Desiring a permanent place of worship, the congregation built the town's first church building on land that was provided by Isaac Tyson at . . . — Map (db m9897) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-A3 — Old CollegeErected 1833-1834
This building contained a chapel (called the Oratory) class, dormitory, dining, administrative, and student society rooms. Newark College chartered February 5, 1833, opened its doors for instruction May 8, 1834. Name changed to Delaware College . . . — Map (db m92139) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Old Welsh Tract Church
Oldest Primitive Baptist Church in America. This marker was presented by Delaware Chapter - Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America. — Map (db m39553) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-139 — Oriental Lodge #12, I.O.O.F.
The origins of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows can be traced to the creation of beneficial trade societies in England. Composed of craftsmen who practiced a variety of different or "odd" occupations, the purpose of these organizations was to . . . — Map (db m9898) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-232 — Original Site of the White Clay Creek Presbyterian Church
White Clay Creek Church existed prior to 1718, meeting in a small log cabin at this site. The area became known as Meeting House Hill. In 1721, White Clay Meeting formally became the White Clay Creek Congregation. Rev. Thomas Craighead purchased 402 . . . — Map (db m142498) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-124 — Pencader Presbyterian Church
On October 15, 1701, William Penn granted 30,000 acres of land to William Davies, David Evans, and William Willis "in behalf of themselves and Company of new Welsh Purchasers." Known as the Welsh Tract, this expansive holding attracted large numbers . . . — Map (db m9773) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Pierre Samuel du Pont (1870-1954)
Pierre S. du Pont can fairly be described as the founder of the modern University of Delaware. In 1915, he donated the money to purchase the land that is now The Green, which physically unified Delaware College and Women's College. President of . . . — Map (db m131108) HM

872 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 472
Paid Advertisement