Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

New Castle County Delaware Historical Markers

268 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 68
 
Grubb Family Burying Ground and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., March 23, 2017
Grubb Family Burying Ground and Marker
Delaware (New Castle County), Arden — Grubb Family Burying Ground

In 1677, John Grubb (1652-1708) came from Stoke Climsland, Cornwall and settled on the Delaware River at "Grubb's Landing." He was one of the first Englishmen in Delaware.

John and his wife Francis raised nine children: Emanuel Grubb . . . — Map (db m102482) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Arden — NC-92 — Village of Arden
Arden is an intentional community, founded in 1900 by social reformers Frank Stephens, a sculptor, and Will Price, and architect, to create a society based on Henry George’s Single Tax economics and William Morris’s arts and crafts philosophy. . . . — Map (db m92287) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Bear — NC-126 — Sgt. James P. Connor Memorial Circle
Born in Wilmington, Delaware, on January 12, 1919, James P. Connor entered the U.S. Army in January 1941. As a member of the 7th Infantry, 3rd Division, he was a participant in the amphibious landing at Cape Cavalaire in southern France. On August . . . — Map (db m10700) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NC-173 — Christiana Presbyterian Church
Known in its early days as the "Presbyterian Church at Christiana Bridge," this congregation was organized in the 1730s. A church structure was built on this site soon after and a graveyard was established by the mid-18th century. Rev. Charles . . . — Map (db m14752) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NC-98 — Christiana United Methodist Church
The origin of this congregation may be traced to the earliest days of Methodism in America. In March, 1771, Joseph Pilmore, one of the first Methodist missionaries from England, preached outdoors at Christiana. Upon returning in 1773, Reverend . . . — Map (db m13553) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NC-184 — Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1813 a group of African-American Methodists led by Peter Spencer formed an independent denomination that came to be known as the African Union Church. It was the first incorporated religious body in the United States controlled entirely by . . . — Map (db m13554) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — NC-52 — Samuel Patterson
Operated flour mill one-fourth mile south. Was captain in French and Indian War. In American Revolution was member of Boston Relief Committee, colonel of Delaware battalion of famous "Flying Camp," Brigadier General of Delaware militia and first . . . — Map (db m67210) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Christiana — Talbot's Fort
Colonel George Talbot , cousin of Lord Baltimore, in defiance of William Penn's claim to Delaware,erected a fort nearby, 1684, on land of the Widow Ogle. Talbot dispossessed settlers between here and Iron Hill who refused to acknowledge Baltimore as . . . — Map (db m60040) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-176 — Archmere
This was once the home of John Jakob Raskob (1879-1950), financier, DuPont and General Motors executive, Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, and developer of the Empire State Building. Known as "The Patio," his palatial home was . . . — Map (db m14697) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-123 — Church of the Ascension
The roots of this congregation can be traced to 1843 and the missionary efforts of the Rev. Greenbury W. Ridgely and the Rt. Rev. Alfred Lee, who conducted services every other Sunday in the Claymont Stone School. The church was accepted into the . . . — Map (db m14700) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-105 — Claymont Stone School
Also known as Naaman's Creek School No. 1, THE CLAYMONT STONE SCHOOL was built on land donated by John Dickinson, the "Penman of the American Revolution," in 1805. The building was expanded and renovated in 1905. Evidence suggests that it may have . . . — Map (db m14699) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-192 — Grubb/Worth Mansion
John Grubb, one of the original English settlers in Delaware, acquired a one-third interest in a 600 acre tract of land at this location in 1680. Several generations passed and the Grubb family greatly increased their land holdings in the area and . . . — Map (db m92285) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-162 — Hickman Row
The industrial expansion of Brandywine Hundred in the late 19th and early 20th centuries was largely reflective of national trends in the growth and development of heavy industry. As large corporations moved to locations outside of major cities, . . . — Map (db m92286) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — Mother Catherine Rosarii

First Superior 1951 - 1957 — Map (db m102512) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-99 — Old Claymont High School
Constructed 1924-25. Also known as the Green Street School. Prominent in United States history as the first public high school in the 17 segregated states to be legally integrated. In January 1951, eight black students applied for admission. Due . . . — Map (db m14705) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-160 — Robinson House
The oldest portion of this structure is believed to have been built circa 1730. In the 1740s the house and surrounding property were sold to Philadelphia merchant Thomas Robinson. Other holdings included a milling operation and landing on nearby . . . — Map (db m14704) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-91 — The Darley House
The home of world-renowned illustrator Felix O.C. Darley (1822-1888). Built in the late 18th century and enlarged several times during the first half of the 19th century, the house was purchased by Darley in 1863 and renamed "The Wren's Nest." . . . — Map (db m14137) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Batteries Hentig and Dodd — The 1890s modernization continued
By the turn of the century, Fort Delaware had become part of a coastal defense system, linking Fort Mott in New Jersey and Fort Dupont in Delaware. Batteries* Hentig and Dodd, which each housed two rapid-fire guns, were intended to furnish . . . — Map (db m21662) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NC-100 — Christ Episcopal Church — Delaware City
In 1847, the Reverend Andrew F. Freeman and the Reverend Thomas F. Billop were appointed as a committee to organize and solicit subscriptions for a Protestant Episcopal church in Delaware City. The parish was formally organized on May 28, 1848, when . . . — Map (db m10208) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NC-97 — Delaware City School No. 118C
In 1919 Delaware radically altered its state school system, opening a new era in the education of African-American youth. Progress was stimulated by the efforts of the Delaware School Auxiliary Association and its primary supporter, P.S. duPont, who . . . — Map (db m10445) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Delaware Historic Civil Engineering Landmark
Chesapeake & Delaware Canal Designated 1982, Delaware Section, ASCE — Map (db m10204) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — NC-178 — Old Delaware City Public School
Delaware City was founded in 1826, in anticipation of the opening of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. The town was incorporated in 1851. The benefits of proximity to the canal resulted in a sustained period by prosperity and expansion of the . . . — Map (db m94190) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Pea Patch Island
Fort Delaware is located on Pea Patch Island in the Delaware River. The island is sometimes said to have gotten its name from a boat loaded with peas that ran aground on a mud shoal in the 1770s. The spilled peas sprouted, mud caught in the vines, . . . — Map (db m21589) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — Sally Port
In its original state, heavy iron-studded oak doors (like the one before you) stood at both ends of the sally port. Large granite blocks, quarried in Quincy, Massachusetts, line its walls. A sample of the fort’s fine brickwork can be seen on the . . . — Map (db m21665) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — The Diving Bell
Made in Philadelphia 1839 for the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal Company, it was used as an air chamber for workmen to make underwater repairs on the lock gates. The canal was opened in 1829 and was operated until the sea level canal was opened at . . . — Map (db m10201) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Delaware City — W. Emerson Wilson — 1908 - 1982
In Memory of W. Emerson Wilson 1908 - 1982 Through his leadership Pea Patch Island was returned to the State of Delaware by the Federal Government in 1948. He was the founder and first president of the Fort Delaware Society, January 1950 and was . . . — Map (db m10207) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Elsmere — NC-199 — The "Annie Oakleys": First Female Prison Guards in the United States
Completed in 1901, the New Castle County Workhouse at Greenbank was named the first penal institution in the United States to employ armed female guards. Nicknamed "Annie Oakleys" for their excellent shooting ability with the machine guns and rifles . . . — Map (db m74277) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Glasgow — NC-142 — Aiken's Tavern Historic District
In the years prior to the Revolutionary War, John Aiken commenced the operation of a tavern and storehouse at this location near the intersection of two of the major roadways of the Delmarva Peninsula. Aided by their proximity to this important . . . — Map (db m39592) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Greenville — NC-78 — Camp Brandywine
In the Civil War the first camp of this name was at Wilmington Fair Grounds for the First and Second Delaware Regiments. The same name was given this site in September 1862 for a camp of Pennsylvania troops sent to guard powder mills. They were . . . — Map (db m45573) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Greenville — Pierre Samuel DuPont de Nemours Memorial
Sacred to the memory of Pierre Samuel DuPont de Nemours-Knight of the Order of Vasa, of the Legion of Honor and of the Order of Du Lis, Counselor of State, Member of the First Constituent Assembly, President of the Council of Ancients and member of . . . — Map (db m107842) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — Ashland Bridge — Red Clay Creek — Listed on National Register of Historic Places – 1973
Original Town Lattice Truss Covered Bridge – ca. 1850 Bridge Deck Rehabilitated – 1964 Listed on National Register of Historic Places – 1973 Complete Rehabilitation & Steel Beams Added – 1982 Rehabilitated Stone . . . — Map (db m62043) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-140 — Chippey African Union Methodist Church
In 1813 a group of African-American Methodists formed an independent denomination known as the African Union Church. It was the first incorporated religious body in the United States controlled entirely by African-Americans. In 1866 the African . . . — Map (db m92146) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-194 — First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin
Local tradition states that a school was present at this location as early as 1829. However, in 1878 the first documented school for African-Americans in Hockessin was established in this vicinity. The school was funded and built primarily by the . . . — Map (db m94251) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-198 — Hockessin Friends Meetinghouse
The Hockessin Friends Meeting has operated with an active membership and regular services, known as Meetings for Worship, since its founding. The Meeting is part of the larger Philadelphia Yearly Meeting faith community.

The expansion of the . . . — Map (db m92144) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-137 — Hockessin School #107C
Also known as the Hockessin Colored School, this building was constructed in 1920 to serve the needs of the communities African-American students. Funding for construction was provided by the Delaware School Auxiliary Association and its primary . . . — Map (db m92145) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC219 — James Henry "Nip" Winters
Born in 1899 in Washington DC. James Henry Winters was a pitcher in the Negro leagues from 1919-1933. Winters, who was also known as "Jesse" and "Nip," was one of the top left-handed pitchers of his day. Known for his wild style and pitching speed, . . . — Map (db m94255) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-218 — St. John The Evangelist Church
Built in 1882, St. John the Evangelist Church was the third Catholic church to be built in the Hockessin area. Soon after it opened, St. John's established a parochial school in its hall. By 1934 the school was closed due to dwindling financial . . . — Map (db m94252) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-32 — St. Mary's Church
Site of the first Catholic church in Delaware, Usually called "Coffee Run" Church. Land purchased 1772 by Rev. Matthias Manners. First church erected shortly thereafter. Last church erected by Rev. Patrick Kenny. Remained standing until 1908. . . . — Map (db m43694) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC-208 — Tweed's Tavern
Formerly known as "MudFort," this log structure was built circa 1790. The original two-story building measured 21 X 27 feet, and featured an attic and full stone basement. A later tax assessment describes the house as d"large" and cites the presence . . . — Map (db m94256) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — Wooddale Bridge — Red Clay Creek
Original Town Lattice Truss Covered Bridge - ca. 1850 Rehabilitated - 1939 Steel Beams Added - 1981 Destroyed by Flood/ Steel Acrow Bridge Placed - 2003 Town Lattice Truss Covered Bridge Replacement - 2008 Engineering & Project Management - . . . — Map (db m73000) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-16 — Commodore Thomas Macdonough
Early home of Commodore Thomas Macdonough. Hero of Battle of Lake Champlain 1814. Born 1783. Died 1825. Commodore 1813. Assisted Commodore Decatur in capturing and burning the "Philadelphia" off the coast of Tripoli, 1804. Original name of village . . . — Map (db m10305) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-210 — Former Site of the Alston and Hunn Farms
Near this location were the farms of John Alston (1794-1872) and John Hunn (1818-1894), cousins who shared the Quaker faith and were well documented operatives on Delaware's Underground Railroad. John Alston sometimes employed fugitives as laborers . . . — Map (db m88341) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-135 — Locust Grove — Home of Governor Joshua Clayton
This home was once the residence of Joshua Clayton (1744-1798), an eminent physician and distinguished government leader in post-Revolutionary Delaware. After attending the University of Pennsylvania he established a successful local practice and . . . — Map (db m10699) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-133 — McDonough Burial Ground
Here lie the remains of the family of James McDonough, an Irish immigrant who purchased land at this location in 1748. Seven children were raised here by James and his wife Lydia. Their eldest, Thomas McDonough, was a prominent local physician. In . . . — Map (db m92152) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-118 — Middletown
Beginning in the 1690s, settler Adam Peterson and his family acquired several tracts of land here. One tract, surveyed in 1733 was given the name "Middletown." The origin of the name is believed to derive from the area's location at the middle point . . . — Map (db m10613) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-144 — Middletown Academy
In 1824 area residents petitioned the General Assembly for a lottery to erect a building for education and public worship. Construction of the Academy began in 1826 and was completed the next year. For many years the building served as the center of . . . — Map (db m10612) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-74 — Old St. Anne's — (P. E. Church)
As early as 1705 a log chapel was established at '' Appoquinimy' by the S.P.G. with the Rev. Thomas Jenkins appointed its first missionary, 1708. Queen Anne of England, for whom the Church was named, is said to have been a patron. This Church was . . . — Map (db m34695) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-114 — Sgt. William Lloyd Nelson — Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
William Lloyd Nelson was born near Dover, Delaware, on February 22, 1918. He was the son of J. Clarence and Carrie Phillips Nelson. Following his family's move to a farm near Middletown, he was educated in the public schools of the community. He . . . — Map (db m10609) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — This Tree Was Living When William Penn Came to Pennsylvania
1682 - 1932 This tree was living when William Penn came to Pennsylvania 1682 White Oak, Quercus Alba Girth Breast High, 1932, 14ft. 4 ins. — Map (db m73845) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — Three Welsh Members
Three Welsh members of the St. George's Anglican Church were reinterred here on Jun 20, 1937, the 232nd anniversary of St. Anne's Parish. Their remains were removed from the church cemetery when the C & D Canal was widened in 1937. — Map (db m73846) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-214 — Union Lodge No. 5 A.F.&A.M.
Chartered on June 24, 1765 by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania A.Y.M., Lodge No. 5 at Cantwell's Bridge (later known as Odessa) became the first Masonic lodge established in Delaware. The lodge was admitted to membership under the Grand Lodge of . . . — Map (db m94182) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Middletown — NC-47 — Welsh Tract
Approximate southern boundary of tract of thirty thousand acres granted by William Penn to the Welsh in 1701. It included what is now Pencader Hundred, Delaware, and a part of Cecil County, Maryland. — Map (db m3769) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-145 — Booker T. Washington School No. 109C
Built in 1923 with funding provided by Pierre S. duPont for schools in Delaware, this school replaced New Castle’s first school for “colored” students that was built in 1867 on Williams Street. The Delaware School Auxiliary Association . . . — Map (db m92290) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-22 — Broad Dyke
Original dyke built by Dutch 1655. Centre of Twelve Mile Circle marking top of Delaware, surveyed 1701, by Empson and Pusey. — Map (db m25532) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-15 — Buena Vista
Built in 1845 by John M. Clayton (1796-1856) Secretary of State in President Taylor's cabinet. He also served Delaware as U.S. Senator, jurist and Secretary of State. He drafted the Clayton-Bulwer Treaty, which eventually guaranteed that the Panama . . . — Map (db m14131) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-174 — Buttonwood School
In 1919 a school was established in the Buttonwood Methodist Church to serve the needs of “colored” students in the growing neighborhood. The first teacher was James Matthew Coulbourne. In 1926 a new one room school housing grades 1-8 . . . — Map (db m92291) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Captain John Evans

Sacred To the memory of My beloved Husband Capt. John Evans. Of 2nd Reg. Del. Vols. After having distinguished himself at the Battles of Gains Mills [sic], Savage Station, Peach Orchard, White Oak, Malvern Hill, Antietam, . . . — Map (db m102551) HM WM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-193 — Crane Hook Church — •••
Built in 1667, Crane Hook Church was located one mile east of here on what is now Pigeon Point Road. The Church took its name from the land located between here and the Delaware River. Under Dutch leadership, this area was colonized by the Swedes . . . — Map (db m67354) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Memorial — by the Delaware River and Bay Authority
Desert Shield • Desert Storm A tribute to all members of the United States Armed Forces who gallantly and courageously performed their duties during the Desert Shield Operation and the Desert Storm War Action in Kuwait-Iraq and Saudi . . . — Map (db m68265) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware & New Jersey WWII Submariners Memorial — Dedicated to those who serve in Submarines of the U.S. Navy — The Silent Service ~ Pride Runs Deep
Left Side of Marker U.S. Submarine Veterans World War II 52 United States Submarines On Eternal Patrol U.S. Navy Submarines Paid Heavily for their success in World War II 374 Officers and 3131 Men are on board these . . . — Map (db m68549) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware Memorial Bridge — 1951 - 1968 — Dedicated to the Delaware & New Jersey Veterans of WWII
Delaware Memorial Bridge 1951 - 1968 South Span Dedicated August 18, 1951 North Span Dedicated September 12, 1968 Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey dedicated these Bridges on September 12, 1968 to the Men and Women of the State . . . — Map (db m68255) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware River and Bay Authority Veterans Dedication
Dedicated to our Veterans Whose Loyalty and Service during times of war and peace define the character of this great Nation — Map (db m68462) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware River and Bay Authority Vietnam Memorial — In Memory of Vietnam War Dead
In Memory of Vietnam War Dead Dedicated to those from Delaware and New Jersey who made the Supreme Sacrifice in the Service of their Country — Map (db m68262) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware Street Wharf Reconstruction — Nov. 1982 - May 1983
The original landing was started during the 17th century of stone filled wood cribs, being enlarged several times. The city acquired ownership from the New Castle Frenchtown Railroad Co. in 1914, and rebuilt the wharf with a concrete face on new . . . — Map (db m57133) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Delaware's Independence Hall

Built in 1732 as the statehouse for Pennsylvania's "Three Lower Counties on the Delaware," the New Castle Court House was the scene of a dramatic vote on June 15, 1776 when the colonial assembly declared independence from both Great Britain and . . . — Map (db m102546) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Fort Casimir
was built by the Dutch in 1651 and recaptured by them from the Swedes, 1655. Site now lies beneath the Delaware 250 feet E.N.E. from this stone which is erected by the Delaware Society of the Colonial Dames of America, 1905, to commemorate the . . . — Map (db m57130) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Frenchtown Railroad Sleepers
These stones were sleepers in the New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad. Completed in 1831. The first railroad in Delaware and one of the first in the United States. — Map (db m25531) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — General Thomas Holcomb — 17th Commandant of the Marine Corps — 1936-1943
"You will be the first officer of the Corps to hold the rank of General - the highest rank in our Armed Forces. I know of no other officer to whom that distinction more fittingly belongs." - Secretary of the U.S. Navy, 1944

On December 1, . . . — Map (db m57127) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — George Read
born A.D. 1732 Died 21st September 1798 Member of the Congress of the Revolution. The Convention that framed the Constitution of the U. S. and of The first Senate under it. Judge of admiralty President and Chief Justice of Delaware and a signer of . . . — Map (db m54693) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — George Read

Signer of the Declaration of Independence

We mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honorMap (db m102598) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-A9 — Gunning Bedford House
Built about 1760. Home of Gunning Bedford, eleventh governor of Delaware. Born 1742. Lieut-Col. in Haslet's Delaware Regiment. Wounded in Battle of White Plains 1776. Presidential Elector 1788. Also home of Caleb P. Bennett, twenty-ninth governor of . . . — Map (db m25558) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-A6 — Historic Museum
Rear of house built in seventeenth century. Main building built after 1738 by Dr. John Finney. Home of Nicholas Van Dyke, seventh Governor of Delaware. The marriage of Ann Van Dyke to Kensey Johns, Sr. took place here April 24, 1784. George . . . — Map (db m54703) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-A8 — Home of George Read
Site of home of George Read. Born September 18, 1733. Died September 21, 1798. Member of The Congress of the Revolution. The convention that framed The Constitution of The United States, and of the first senate under it. Judge of Admiralty, . . . — Map (db m25560) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — In Memory of Philip and Lydia Laird
Former owners of the Read House, their home for fifty-five years. They were longtime benefactors of New Castle doing much to encourage and promote the preservation and architectural beauty of this colonial town. — Map (db m54697) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Korean War Veterans Memorial — The Forgotten War — 1950-1953
. . . — Map (db m68655) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-25 — Landing Place of William Penn
Near here October 27, 1682, William Penn first stepped on American soil. He proceeded to the fort and performed Livery of Seisin. “He took the key, thereof,…we did deliver unto him 1 turf with a twig upon it, a porringer with river water and . . . — Map (db m3530) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Mary Wansey

Here lie the remains of Mary Wansey Wife of George Wansey of Towanda, Bradford Co., Pa. She died at Sea Aug. 8th. 1842 on her return from Italy aged 37 years. — Map (db m102550) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Midshipman John Stockton, United States Navy

Wounded in Battle of Lake Ontario May 28th Died at Kingston Canada May 30th 1813 aged 26 years

[Also on monument] John Stockton Born 1755, Died Oct. 29, 1822 An Officer of the Revolution.

Thomas Stockton Born April . . . — Map (db m102608) WM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-217 — Mount Salem U.M. Church
In 1854, a Methodist Society was organized in the African American community in New Castle. Not long after the society's inception, the group adopted the name Mount Salem Methodist Church and purchased land on which to build a church. Mount Salem's . . . — Map (db m94193) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-26 — New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad
Built 1832. One of first railroads in country. Extended from this point to Frenchtown on the Elk River. Important connecting link between the North and South. Absorbed by Delaware Railroad 1856. — Map (db m3549) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad — Linking the Delaware River to the Chesapeake Bay

New Castle has a long history as a national transportation link. In the 1820s a turnpike connected ships on the Delaware River with ships on the Chesapeake Bay. However, the turnpike was in poor condition. Progressive town leaders saw . . . — Map (db m102543) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-13 — New Castle Common
This land is part of a tract of one thousand acres set apart by William Penn in 1701 for the inhabitants of the town of New Castle. Trustees were appointed and incorporated by Penn’s heirs in 1764, whose successors still hold and manage the land. — Map (db m3212) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — New Castle Court House 1732 — New Castle Historic District

New Castle Historic District has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exception value in commemorating or illustrating . . . — Map (db m64763) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-111 — New Castle United Methodist Church
The origin of Methodism in this community can be traced to the years prior to the American Revolution, when pioneering clergymen such as Thomas Webb and Francis Asbury visited here to spread the message of their faith. Due to the predominance of . . . — Map (db m54700) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-24 — Packet Alley
Packet boats from Philadelphia met stage coaches here for Frenchtown, Maryland, chief line of communication from North to Baltimore and South. Andrew Jackson, David Crockett, Daniel Webster, Henry Clay, Lord Ashburton, Sam Houston, Louis Napoleon, . . . — Map (db m25559) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Penn Farm
The 112-acre Penn Farm is the last surviving farm of the 1,068-acre New Castle Common. William Penn, Proprietor and Governor of Pennsylvania, made his warrant in writing under his hand and seal in October 1701, granting the New Castle Common . . . — Map (db m92288) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-75 — Presbyterian Church
Founded as a Dutch Reformed Church, 1657. The first building was on the Strand end of the church lot. This church was one of 7 which organized the first Presbytery in America in 1706. Present brick meeting house was built 1707. — Map (db m3383) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Read House & Gardens — Delaware Historical Society
In 1797 the foundation of George Read II's mansion was laid only feet from his statesman father's home on a busy New Castle street. By 1805 the stylish Federal period house towered over its neighbors. A fire claimed the home of George Read I, as . . . — Map (db m54704) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Revolutionary War Patriots in the Immanuel Churchyard

John Aicken • Archibald Alexander • Gov. Gunning Bedford John Bird • James Booth, Sr. • James Carter The Rev. Robert Clay • Thomas Clay • William Clay Dr. Mark Elliot • Stephen Gilbert • Isaac Grantham John Hall • William Hazlett • . . . — Map (db m102564) WM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Sheriff's House and County Jail

In 1857 New Castle County constructed a new prison complex on this site. Designed by famous Philadelphia architect, Samuel Sloan, the facility had two parts. The Sheriff's House (seen at left in this 1893 photo) provided a roomy residence for . . . — Map (db m102541) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-134 — Site of Bellanca Airfield
An airfield, aircraft plant, and service hangar were built here in 1928 by Giuseppe Mario Bellanca and Henry B. duPont. An aviation pioneer, Bellanca immigrated from Italy in 1912. His plane Columbia was Charles Lindbergh's choice for a . . . — Map (db m14133) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-23 — Site of Fort Casimir
One hundred feet to the East of this point is the site of Fort Casimir. Erected by Dutch in 1651. Taken by Swedes 1654, called Fort Trafaldigheets or Trinity, retaken by Dutch under Petrus Stuyvesant in person September 11, 1655. — Map (db m25530) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-158 — St. John's Lodge no. 2 — Grand Lodge of Delaware, A.F.&A.M.
First chartered by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania as Lodge No. 33 on April 3, 1781. Early meetings were held alternately at Christiana Bridge and New Castle. This was one of four Lodges whose representatives gathered in Wilmington on June 6 and 7, . . . — Map (db m14134) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-28 — The Green or Market Plaine
Laid out by Petrus Stuyvesant, Dutch Governor, 1655. On this green stood the old jail and gallows. Here were held the great fairs and weekly markets from early times. — Map (db m3423) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — The Old Library

The Old Library was designed by Philadelphia architect, Frank Furness, and built by the New Castle Library Company in 1892.

The Library Company, chartered in 1812, had housed its collection of classics and law books in the Academy (built in . . . — Map (db m102549) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-73 — The River Road
Portion of the early cart road laid out by Augustine Herrman, Lord of Bohemia Manor to connect his Maryland estate with Appoquinimink Creek and the Town of New Castle. Known as the “The Old Man’s Road”, this was one of the earliest links . . . — Map (db m64571) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — The Welcome Society of Pennsylvania
Honors the city of New Castle, Delaware where William Penn first landed in the New World, 27 October 1682. — Map (db m57128) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-A5 — Van Dyke House
Built about 1820 by Senator Nicholas Van Dyke. The marriage of Dorcas Van Dyke to Charles I. DuPont took place here Oct. 6, 1824. At this wedding the Marquis de LaFayette was a guest, and gave the bride in marriage. — Map (db m57131) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — Wounded Combat Veterans Memorial — Dedicated to all men and women wounded in all wars
. . . — Map (db m68261) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-41 — American Position — Battle of Cooch's Bridge
On September 3, 1777, an American Light Infantry Corps composed of Continental soldiers from New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, with militia from Pennsylvania and Delaware, was stationed west of Christina Creek between Aikentown . . . — Map (db m14788) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-A7 — Battle of Cooch's Bridge
American light infantry and cavalry under General William Maxwell encountered advance guard of British and Hessian troops under Generals Howe, Cornwallis and Knyphausen in this vicinity September 3, 1777. American troops were expert marksmen drafted . . . — Map (db m9774) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-42 — British Position — Battle of Cooch's Bridge
On the morning of September 3, 1777, soldiers of the Hessian Field Jaeger Corps encountered American light infantry positioned in the woods and fields along this road, which led from Aikentown (Glasgow) to Cooch's Bridge. The Americans attacked the . . . — Map (db m57931) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-205 — Christiana Public School #111-C
Formal education for African American children in Christiana began in the 1880s with the construction of a one-room schoolhouse. Many African American schools in existence at this time were marked by dilapidated facilities, a lack of running water, . . . — Map (db m94284) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-106 — Deer Park Hotel
Since the mid-18th century an establishment for public hospitality has existed here. The first building, of wood construction, was known as St. Patrick's Inn. Famous visitors included surveyors Mason and Dixon. The property was purchased by James S. . . . — Map (db m9907) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Delaware's Field of Valor
On 3 September 1777 an American light infantry corps under the command of Brigadier General William Maxwell engaged British and Hessian forces here in the Battle of Cooch's Bridge. Maxwell's Corps was composed of soldiers from New Jersey, North . . . — Map (db m14789) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-83 — Eastburn-Jeanes Mining Complex — (c. 1816 - 1900's)
This is the site of the Eastburn-Jeanes farms and mining industry. Marble from the Cockeysville Formation, found in three quarries in the area, was heated in kilns to produce quick lime for fertilizer and mortar. The lime was transported over . . . — Map (db m92273) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-104 — Ebenezer United Methodist Church
The first meetings of this congregation were held in the homes of its members. In 1824 a stone church building was erected at this location. The growth of the congregation resulted in the replacement of the original building by a one-story frame . . . — Map (db m10443) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Enjoy the Pencader Area Today
If you are just "passing through" or are a new resident or even a life-long Delawarean, we hope to spark your interest in the varied activities available in the Pencader Hundred Area. Whether your are experiencing these for the first time or . . . — Map (db m10871) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-115 — Head of Christiana Presbyterian Church
The first Presbyterian services in this area were conducted by Rev. John Wilson in 1706. Then pastor of New Castle Presbyterian Church, Rev. Wilson came every other Sunday to minister to the many residents of this area who had immigrated from . . . — Map (db m9979) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-159 — Hiram Lodge No. 25 — Grand Lodge of Delaware, A.F. & A.M.
By the 1780's members of the Masonic fraternity were organized and meeting locally. On December 6, 1802, a charter was issued by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania for Lodge No. 96 in Newark. This was one of four Lodges whose representatives gathered . . . — Map (db m9972) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Historic Iron Ore Mining
What is iron ore? Iron is a silvery-white, solid metal, though when found in Pencader Hundred, it commonly appears as a brown and sometimes nearly black oxide of iron. Its chemical symbol Fe, is derived from ferrum, the Latin word for . . . — Map (db m10705) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — In the Beginning — Formation of the Delmarva Peninsula
Left Column Delaware is the second smallest state in the country. However, we played an important role in the formation of the nation. Caesar Rodney rode from Lewes to Philadelphia to cast the deciding vote for independence in 1776. We were . . . — Map (db m10867) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Iron Hill School #112C — Preserving History: The African-American Community of Iron Hill
The Iron Hill Museum is dedicated to the study of human and natural history of the Iron Hill Area. The Museum is currently engaged in a project to restore the Iron Hill School #112C and document the experiences of African-American students who . . . — Map (db m10053) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-211 — Iron Hill School #112-C
The Iron Hill area was a community of African American farming and mining families. Constructed in 1923, Iron Hill School #112-C was one of over 80 schools built with funding from Pierre S. duPont, who sought to replace rundown public schools with . . . — Map (db m94286) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Iron Hill School #112-C
The Iron Hill Museum is dedicated to the study of human and natural history of the Iron Hill Area. The Museum is currently engaged in a project to restore the Iron Hill School #112C and document the experiences of African-American students who . . . — Map (db m94288) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-196 — Judge Morris Estate
This estate, now owned and operated by Delaware State Parks, was once known as Chestnut Hill and contains a manor house and approximately 500 acres of land. John Barclay acquired the property after the American Revolution and in 1792 built the main . . . — Map (db m92142) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-151 — Meeteer House
In the late 18th century a paper mill was established by Thomas Meeteer on the banks of nearby White Clay Creek. In later years Thomas was succeeded in business by his sons Samuel and William. the property on which this house stands was purchased by . . . — Map (db m9976) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Milling in Pencader Hundred
What is Milling? Milling is a process of taking whole bulbs, tubers, nuts, seeds, grains or other foods from its original size to a smaller size by pounding, grinding or rolling it until it is the consistency of a meal, flour or powder. Early . . . — Map (db m10712) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-130 — New Century Club
In 1893 a group of Newark women established a literary and social organization known as the Tuesday Club. Later renamed the New Century Club, the organization became part of the General Federation of Women's Clubs. Committed to matters of civic . . . — Map (db m9969) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-183 — New London Avenue School
The first documented public school for African-American youth in the Newark community was established in 1867 by the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands. This was one of several schools established in Delaware during the post Civil War . . . — Map (db m92143) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-35 — Newark Academy
Founded at New London, Pennsylvania, in 1741 by Rev. Dr. Francis Alison, removed in 1752 to Cecil County, Md., and in 1767 to Newark. Chartered by Thomas and Richard Penn 1769. Closed from 1777 to 1780 on account of Revolutionary War. Merged with . . . — Map (db m9781) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-206 — Newark Passenger Railroad Station
Designed by architect and engineer S.T. Fuller, the Newark Passenger Railroad Station was built in 1877 at a cost of over $9,000.00 by the Philadelphia, Willimgton and Baltimore Railroad (P. W. & B) to replace an earlier frame building. An article . . . — Map (db m94282) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-136 — Newark United Methodist Church
By 1799 a small group of Methodists was organized and meeting in the homes of its members in the Newark area. Desiring a permanent place of worship, the congregation built the town's first church building on land that was provided by Isaac Tyson at . . . — Map (db m9897) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-A3 — Old College — Erected 1833-1834
This building contained a chapel (called the Oratory) class, dormitory, dining, administrative, and student society rooms. Newark College chartered February 5, 1833, opened its doors for instruction May 8, 1834. Name changed to Delaware College . . . — Map (db m92139) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Old Welsh Tract Church
Oldest Primitive Baptist Church in America. This marker was presented by Delaware Chapter - Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America. — Map (db m39553) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-139 — Oriental Lodge #12, I.O.O.F.
The origins of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows can be traced to the creation of beneficial trade societies in England. Composed of craftsmen who practiced a variety of different or "odd" occupations, the purpose of these organizations was to . . . — Map (db m9898) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-124 — Pencader Presbyterian Church
On October 15, 1701, William Penn granted 30,000 acres of land to William Davies, David Evans, and William Willis "in behalf of themselves and Company of new Welsh Purchasers." Known as the Welsh Tract, this expansive holding attracted large numbers . . . — Map (db m9773) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-203 — Poplar Hall
James Boulden the Elder and his family moved to Delaware from Maryland in the mid-18th century, amassing wealth and expanding their land ownership in Pencader Hundred as the century progressed. The two-story brick mansion house was built during this . . . — Map (db m94181) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-129 — Pride of Delaware Lodge #349 IBPOEW
The Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World was formally organized in 1898. Designed to promote civic improvements, the IBPOEW is one of the largest fraternal organizations of its type in the world. Responding to the request of a . . . — Map (db m9974) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Purple Heart Trail in Delaware
Dedicated by Governor Jack A. Markell and the Military Order of the Purple Heart, Department of Delaware July 27, 2011 The National Purple Heart Trail Memorializes those heroic soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who have had the Purple . . . — Map (db m65649) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-116 — R.T. Foard and Jones Funeral Home
Completed in 1886, this was the home and place of business of Theodore F. Armstrong, a prominent local merchant and civic leader. Reflecting the growing prosperity of the community and its residents, this hybrid of Queen Anne and Gothic architecture . . . — Map (db m9905) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-34 — Robert Kirkwood, Jr.
Born in 1756, Robert Kirkwood, Jr. spent his youth on the family farm several miles north of Newark. Kirkwood eventually enrolled at the Newark Academy, later to become the University of Delaware. When the American Revolution began, Kirkwood was . . . — Map (db m47261) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-172 — Salem United Methodist Church
The origin of Methodism in this part of Delaware can be traced to the early 1770's when a Methodist Society was organized and began meeting in the home of Isaac Hersey, a prominent farmer and miller. Through the efforts of Hersey's step-son William . . . — Map (db m94281) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-167 — St. John African Methodist Church
This congregation was organized circa 1848. Early meetings were held in a log cabin at this location on land that was conveyed to trustees of the "Protestant Methodist Church" in 1850. In 1866 the members of the First Colored Methodist Protestant . . . — Map (db m9968) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-122 — St. John the Baptist Church
In 1868, the original Old Village Presbyterian Church, which stood on this location, was purchased by Charles A. Murphey. The property was donated to the Catholic Diocese of Wilmington, and the church was named St. Patrick's. It became a mission of . . . — Map (db m9779) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Battle of Cooch's Bridge
On September 3, 1777 over 800 Americans forming the Light Infantry Corps of Brigadier General William Maxwell engaged about 2,000 British Light Infantry and Hessian and Anspach "Jδgers" (light infantry) in a series of skirmishes ending at . . . — Map (db m10055) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Chambers House
Top Panel: A historic house leaves, then returns to the family. The story of the Chambers House begins in 1775 when Benjamin Chambers bought 250 acres of land and set up a sawmill on nearby White Clay Creek. His son Joseph built this house . . . — Map (db m72723) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Diamonds Walkway
The Diamonds Walkway recognizes donors who make leadership level gifts to the University of Delaware for five consecutive years as members of the Delaware Diamonds Society. Each brick in the walkway is inscribed to recognize the generosity of our . . . — Map (db m92140) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Judge Morris Estate — The Former Home of a Delaware Attorney and Judge
Built in the 1790s, this 2½ story gray fieldstone house is the former home of Judge Hugh M. Morris. Morris was a Delaware native, respected attorney and distinguished federal judge. He purchased the house and a large parcel of land here in . . . — Map (db m39506) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-182 — The Philadelphia Campaign — Battle of Cooch's Bridge
In August 1777, British forces under the command of General William Howe landed at the Head of Maryland's Elk River. Their goal was the capture of Philadelphia, the capital of the young republic. On September 3, advancing troops were engaged by an . . . — Map (db m14787) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-36 — The Wedge
The wedge-shape tract, west of the Maryland and Delaware curve, consists of approximately 800 acres of land. For more than a century, the property was claimed by Pennsylvania but governed by Delaware. In 1889, a joint committee appointed from both . . . — Map (db m9961) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Veterans Memorial
In memory of the men from Newark who gave their lives in World War II and in honor of those who served in the great wars Ralph E. Adams • Woodrow W. Gravenor • Harold N. Sheaffer Robert G. Allen • Charles W. Greer, Jr. • Ralph R. Skillman James . . . — Map (db m9901) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-195 — Vic Willis
Victor Gazaway Willis was born April 12, 1876 and spent his youth and much of his life in Newark, Delaware. He attended and played baseball for Delaware College (now the University of Delaware) in 1897. The Delaware Peach," as he was known, became . . . — Map (db m92141) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-53 — Washington's Reconnaissance
Generals Washington, Greene and Lafayette came to Iron Hill, August 26, 1777 in hope of viewing British army then landing along Elk River. Only a few tents could be seen. A heavy storm coming up, they spent the night in a nearby farm house. — Map (db m9778) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Your Gateway to Pencader Heritage — Exploring the Past
Left Column Welsh Tract Church William Penn granted a 30,000 acre tract of land to three Welshmen, (David Evans, William Davis, and William Willis) in 1701. They and their followers had left southern Wales in search of religious freedom. . . . — Map (db m10874) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newport — NC-96 — Ashley Mansion
Ashton Richardson built Ashley Mansion in 1804 on land he inherited from his father. A prominent Quaker, Ashton Richardson owned several milling operations and was considered one of the most eligible bachelors in the area. after marrying in 1807, . . . — Map (db m13556) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newport — NC-71 — Oliver Evans (1755-1819) — Inventor and Engineer
Born in Newport, Delaware, September 13, 1755, son of Charles and Ann Stalcop Evans. Invented automatic machinery for flour mills; first high-pressure steam engine adapted to commercial use in America; and first American land vehicle to move under . . . — Map (db m54481) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newport — NC-191 — Peniel United Methodist Church
Tradition states that a young Irish immigrant moved to the local area in 1786 and sought out a Methodist minister from Wilmington to preach in Newport. By the early nineteenth century, a permanent Methodist Society had been established in the area. . . . — Map (db m92147) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newport — NC-95 — The Home of William Julius "Judy" Johnson — Born October 26, 1899 - Died June 14, 1989
In 1975 William Julius “Judy” Johnson became the first Delawarean elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. During his career, 1921 through 1936, Johnson was considered the best third baseman in the Negro Leagues. In 1935, Johnson . . . — Map (db m72633) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newport — Wilmington & Western Railroad
The Wilmington and Western Railroad. A 20-mile track between Wilmington and Landenberg (PA) was built in 1872 to furnish passenger and freight service to the communities and industry along the red clay valley. In 1883, the Baltimore and Ohio . . . — Map (db m46805) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Odessa — NC-90 — Appoquinimink Friends Meeting House
Believed to be one of the smallest Quaker Meeting Houses in the nation, the Appoquinimink Friends Meeting House was built in 1785 by David Wilson and presented to the Friends as a gift. Local tradition identifies this structure as a stop on the . . . — Map (db m10308) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Odessa — NC-72 — Duncan Beard
Delaware clock-maker of great distinction and silversmith lived and labored here for about thirty years until his death in 1797. Was a prominent member of Old Drawyers Presbyterian Church. Made contract with State of Delaware in 1776 for manufacture . . . — Map (db m10541) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Odessa — NC-18 — Odessa
Indian Village Appoquinimi. Part of large grant to Alexander D'Hinoyessa, vice-director of New Amstel. Edmund Cantwell second owner of tract, 1673. Village named Cantwell's Bridge, 1731. Once important grain shipping center. Named Odessa 1855, after . . . — Map (db m10307) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Odessa — NC-153 — Old Drawyers Presbyterian Church
The history of this congregation may be traced to the 1670s, when Dutch and Swedish members of the "Reformed Church" were gathering locally for worship. By the first decade of the 18th century the settlement of persons largely of Scottish descent . . . — Map (db m10538) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Odessa — NC-147 — Old St. Paul's Church
In 1831,a Methodist Society was organized in this community. The congregation was incorporated as Cantwell's Bridge Methodist Episcopal Church in 1832. A small meeting house known as "Brickbat Church" was subsequently constructed on land provided by . . . — Map (db m10539) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Port Penn — Floating Cabins and Skinning Shacks — Symbols of the Marsh
Left Panel The European Markets Port Penn once figured prominently in world markets. As the supply of beaver fur in the American West declined, European demand for quality fur remained high. toward the end of the 19th century, muskrat . . . — Map (db m10435) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Port Penn — Market Square — Local Trade
Left Panel Sacred Spaces in Secular Places Two congregations formed in Port Penn. Members of the Presbyterian Church were primarily of European descent and dominated the local economy and society. The congregation of St. David's Methodist . . . — Map (db m10395) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Port Penn — NC-131 — Port Penn Front Range Light
In 1875, Congress approved funding to build several lighthouses along this segment of the Delaware River. This site was purchased in April 1876, and by December the Port Penn Front Range Light was completed. Constructed under the direction of the . . . — Map (db m10536) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Port Penn — Port Penn Schoolhouse — Symbol of the Community
Left Panel State Stewardship: Linking People, Culture and Environment After operating the museum for fifteen years, the Port Penn Area Historical Society transferred the schoolhouse museum to the Division of Parks and Recreation in 1991. . . . — Map (db m10430) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Port Penn — The Cannery Lot — Opportunity from Change
Left Panel Local Goods, Global Markets In the changing economy of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, small towns looked for ways to survive. Port Penn's livelihood depended on exporting local agricultural goods to major markets miles . . . — Map (db m10396) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Port Penn — The Cleaver House — At the Crossroads of Commerce
Left Panel Changing Times in Port Penn Following construction of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal (c.1829) a few miles to the north, major shipping began to bypass Port Penn. The town still managed to provide local agricultural . . . — Map (db m10388) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Port Penn — The Hubbs House — Architectural Statement
Left Panel Mail Order Houses Buildings ordered from Sears, Roebuck and Company came as a complete set of pre-cut lumber for assembly on-site. The company's "Honor-Bilt" system allowed buyers to erect homes at relatively low cost. People . . . — Map (db m10391) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Port Penn — The Stewart House — Visions of Growth
Left Panel Flemish Bond: Strength and Beauty The handsome brick pattern on the Stewart House is common on early 18th-century buildings. Flemish bond is achieved by overlapping bricks like a woven fabric. Although a labor-intensive . . . — Map (db m10392) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Port Penn — Wetland Ways — Bob Beck: Preserver of Port Penn Traditions
Port Penn is a community connected to its wetland landscape. Seasonal changes bring about changes in the lifestyles of Port Penners themselves. Autumn waterfowl hunting and winter muskrat trapping lead into spring shad runs and summer sturgeon . . . — Map (db m10438) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Smyrna — NC-89 — Clearfield Farm
Built in the mid-eighteenth century by Captain David Clark, Clearfield Farm was the home of his grandson John Clark (1761 -1821), Governor of Delaware from 1817 -1820. John Clark served as Colonel in the Delaware Militia and as Justice of the Peace . . . — Map (db m69112) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Stanton — NC-50 — Hale-Byrnes House — Stanton, Delaware
George Washington's "General Staff Headquarters" on September 6, 1777. Here Generals Washington, Lafayette, Wayne, Maxwell, Sullivan, and Greene planned defense of Wilmington. House built circa 1750 by Samuel Hale. Owner 1776 - Daniel Byrnes - a . . . — Map (db m13555) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Townsend — NC-202 — Blackbird School (District No. 69)
The passage of the Public School Law of 1829 brought free public education to Delaware and divided the state into many small districts overseen by county superintendents. Blackbird District No. 60 was first noted in the record of an Annual Meeting . . . — Map (db m94186) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Townsend — NC-117 — Old Union Methodist Church
A log church was built here in 1789 on land donated by Joseph Dickinson. The church was named "Dickinson's Chapel" in his honor. Francis Asbury and many other pioneers of American Methodism conducted services here. Levi Scott, a native of this area . . . — Map (db m10608) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Townsend — NC-220 — Scott Church
Scott Church and its congregation grew from a Sunday school that was started in Blackbird in 1886. By 1898, the church was incorporated and a site for the church was purchased. Construction began in 1899 and the church was dedicated on Sunday, . . . — Map (db m94187) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Townsend — NC-93 — Taylor's Bridge School — (District No. 66)
On April 5, 1923 a frame schoolhouse located nearby was destroyed by a storm. Within two weeks the General Assemble appropriated $5,000 to construct a new school. Although the amount proved to be inadequate, P.S. duPont, through the Delaware School . . . — Map (db m10596) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Ways Corner — NC-120 — Chester-Bethel United Methodist Church
The roots of this congregation can be traced to the efforts of Methodist pioneer Thomas Webb, who visited this area to spread the message of his faith in the years prior to the American Revolution. Influenced by his sincerity and eloquence, a local . . . — Map (db m39343) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Ways Corner — Chester-Bethel United Methodist Church Veterans Memorial
In memory of those who served in the Armed Forces — Map (db m39342) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — A Pathway through the Past
The trail you are standing on is surrounded by clues to this area's history. Some clues are clearly visible. Others are in the ground where you cannot see them. Archaeologists and historians study all these clues along with written records to learn . . . — Map (db m39710) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — African American Medal of Honor Recipients Memorial
[Panel 1:]African American Medal of Honor Recipients Memorial The Medal of Honor takes its place in our country as the highest award for military valor. The honor, awarded by the President in the name of Congress, may only be accorded an . . . — Map (db m80507) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-169 — Alexis I. duPont Middle School
The oldest portion of this structure was erected in 1893 to replace two smaller schools that were no longer adequate to serve the needs of local students. This building was constructed largely through the efforts of the duPont family, long-time . . . — Map (db m14758) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-A10 — Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church
Organized about the year 1769. Early meetings held in academy woods, Gilpin’s Wharf and Thelwell’s School. Church Built in 1789.

Dedicated to Bishop Francis Asbury. Here is buried Allen McLane, Lieutenant in Caesar Rodney’s Regiment 1779; Captain . . . — Map (db m92275) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-102 — Bethel A.M.E. Church
On May 10, 1846, a group of African-American residents of Wilmington who had affiliated themselves with the African Methodist Episcopal Church held a meeting for the purposes of electing trustees and organizing as a corporate body. At the time, . . . — Map (db m11010) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Bill McGowan — 1992 ~ Baseball Hall of Fame Inductee
William Aloysius McGowan Born: January 18, 1896 in Wilmington, DE Died: December 9, 1954 in Silver Spring, MD Elected to Hall of Fame by Committee on Baseball Veterans: 1992 He introduced a colorful umpiring style with vigorous, . . . — Map (db m72835)
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-201 — Blue Rock Community Club
Established in 1917 as part of the esteemed General Federation of Women's Clubs, The Blue Rock Community Club (BRCC) provided an important social and service-oriented outlet for women. Beginning with just 11 founding members, the Club became an . . . — Map (db m94235) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Brandywine Springs
A fashionable spa and hotel was located on this site from 1827-1853. Distinguished personalities, such as Henry Clay, came for relaxation and enjoyment. T.U. Walter, the architect of the U.S. Capitol, designed and remodeled the hotel buildings. . . . — Map (db m14756) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-101 — Brandywine Village
Around 1740 water-powered mills began to appear in this area where the Brandywine River ends its journey falling 124 feet in its final five miles. Small vessels carrying grain from nearby farms sailed directly to the mills. Other ships laden with . . . — Map (db m13585) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-138 — Brown v. Board of Education
Delaware remained a racially segregated society until the mid-twentieth century. Though the segregation of public schools was supported by the “separate but equal” doctrine that had been upheld by the nation’s highest court, the . . . — Map (db m3124) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Caesar Rodney Monument
This statue was dedicated in 1923 to commemorate Caesar Rodney's ride to Philadelphia, July 1-2, 1776. Despite ill health, Rodney rode through thunder and rain to cast the deciding vote in the Delaware delegation for independence. — Map (db m42800) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-79 — Camp DuPont
First established May, 1861. The Fourth Regiment Delaware Volunteer Infantry camped here June to October 1862, whence they moved to a camp of the same name near Kennett Pike. The remustered First Delaware Regiment camped here in early February 1864, . . . — Map (db m14754) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Christopher Columbus — 1451 - 1506 — Italian Explorer, Navigator, and Colonizer
side one Born circa 1451, in Genoa, Italy, at the start of the Renaissance, Christopher Columbus proposed to reach the rich trading lands of Asia by sailing west across unchartered seas. This revolutionary idea was finally accepted by Queen . . . — Map (db m69347)
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-146 — Clifford Brown — Legendary Jazz Musician
Born on October 30, 1930 in Wilmington, Delaware, Clifford Brown was one of the most influential jazz musicians of the mid-20th century. He began to play the trumpet as a teenager while attending Howard High School. By 1948 he was playing in . . . — Map (db m92280) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-121 — Cool Spring Park
With the completion of Cool Spring Reservoir in 1877, an adjoining parcel of unused land was reserved for park purposes. Formally designated as Cool Spring Park, the grounds were managed by the Wilmington Water Department until 1967, when the City . . . — Map (db m10917) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-207 — Delaware Children's Theatre
Plans for this colonial revival-style structure were drawn by Philadelphia architect Minerva Parker Nichols, one of the first female architects in the United States. Construction of the building, which features eclectic components as well as the . . . — Map (db m94207) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Delaware Military Academy — Union Field Cannon — Used by Delaware Troops at Gettysburg 1863
Dedicated to All Delaware Veterans Delaware Military Academy By CMCPO Joshua Loper, First DMA Eagle Scout Military Science Course Project Unique 1861 Iron Cannon Last Survivor from Lobdell Foundry Union Field Cannon Used by . . . — Map (db m66921) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-141 — Delaware's Jewish Community
This building, once known as the Morrow Building, symbolizes the founding of an organized Jewish community in Delaware. Jews have been present in Delaware since the 1650's. Until the late 19th Century, the Jewish community was too small to maintain . . . — Map (db m40490) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Delcastle
Near this site..."an eminence near McKennan's Church", the Continental forces took position against a British detachment encamped a half-mile away near Mill Town sent as a decoy, while the main body of the British army marched north to Kennett . . . — Map (db m94238) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-85 — Ebright Azimuth
The highest benchmark monument in Delaware is located on Ebright Road. This horizontal control mark denotes an elevation of 447.85 feet above sea level. The Delaware Geological Society through its relationship with the National Geodetic Survey has . . . — Map (db m2893) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-143 — Ezion-Mount Carmel United Methodist Church
In 1805 a group of African-Americans, desiring greater freedom of worship, withdrew from Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church to form a separate congregation. Led by Peter Spencer and William Anderson, they established what was then known as the . . . — Map (db m14757) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-190 — First Flight of the Delaplane
Near this site, on October 21, 1910, the first heavier than air aircraft built in Delaware made its first flight. The aircraft, known as the Delaplane, was built by Robie Seidelinger and piloted by Eddie Bloomfield. The construction was funded by . . . — Map (db m92283) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-77 — First Presbyterian Church
This church originally stood at the corner of 10th and Market Streets and was the first Presbyterian church in the city. It was constructed in 1740, just after Wilmington received its charter from King George II. Following the Battle of the . . . — Map (db m13557) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Fort Christina National Historic Landmark
Managed by the Delaware Division of Historical & Cultural Affairs

(302)736-7400 — Map (db m92274) HM

Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-113 — Frank E. Schoonover Studios
The Frank E. Schoonover Studios were constructed in 1905 by Wilmington philanthropist Samuel Bancroft, Jr. Plans were provided by architect E.L. Rice, incorporating a Queen Anne design with four contiguous units. The original occupants were Frank E. . . . — Map (db m13559) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-175 — Frank Furness Railroad District
The B&O Water Street Station (1888), the Pennsylvania Railroad Office Building (1905), and the Wilmington Train Station (1907), comprise a unique campus of railroad architecture by renowned Philadelphia architect Frank Furness (1839-1912). . . . — Map (db m92150) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-128 — Freedom Lost
By the late 1700s the institution of slavery was declining in Delaware. A changing economy and the active efforts of Quakers and Methodists had led to the manumission of many slaves and dramatic growth of the state’s free black population. Though . . . — Map (db m10950) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — General Casimir Pulaski — 1747 – 1779 — Pulaski Park
. . . — Map (db m68368)

268 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 68
Paid Advertisement