Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Duval County Florida Historical Markers

 
Combat Team Camp Atlantic Beach Marker image, Touch for more information
By Jay Kravetz, July 12, 2017
Combat Team Camp Atlantic Beach Marker
Florida (Duval County), Atlantic Beach — F-917 — Combat Team Camp Atlantic Beach
On Plaza Drive at Seminole Road, on the right when traveling east on Plaza Drive.
Constructed by the U.S. Army in 1942, Combat Team Camp Atlantic Beach was the headquarters of the Harbor Defenses of Jacksonville during World War II. The camp was tasked with defending Florida’s Atlantic coast from Axis invasion following the . . . — Map (db m106306) HM
Florida (Duval County), Atlantic Beach — F-953 — The Continental Hotel Site
On 10th Street at Beach Street, on the right when traveling east on 10th Street.
In the late 19th century, Henry Flagler created the Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) and the Florida East Coast Hotel Company, both of significantly boosted development and tourism for Florida. By 1900, Flagler had purchased the local Jacksonville . . . — Map (db m137857) HM
Florida (Duval County), Bayport — French Huguenots in North America
On Ocean Street (State Road A1A) just east of Broad Street, on the left when traveling east.
Side 1: This marker commemorates the French Huguenot landing near this site on May 1, 1562, and their lives as colonists on the land until 1565. Hoping to escape religious persecution in Western Europe, the Huguenots set sail to this . . . — Map (db m120345) HM
Florida (Duval County), Bayport — US Merchant Marine
On Ocean Street (State Road A1A) at Broad Street, on the right when traveling north on Ocean Street.
(Side 1) US Merchant Marine Dedicated September 14, 1999 Mayport Florida In memory of the men and women of all nations who loyally served aboard United States merchant ships in war and peace (Side 2) American . . . — Map (db m137894) WM
Florida (Duval County), Fort George Island — F-271 — Fort George Island
On Fort George Road, on the right when traveling north.
Ft. George Island presents a cross-section of the Florida story. Timucuan Indians inhabited this island when French explorer Jean Ribault landed nearby in 1562. A Spanish mission was established here before 1600 to serve the Timucuans. Known to the . . . — Map (db m58377) HM
Florida (Duval County), Fort George Island — Ribault Club Inn
On Fort George Road, on the right when traveling north.
(Upper left plaque) National Register Site Ribault Club Inn 1928 Awarded By Jacksonville Historic Preservation Commission (Lower left Plaque) Ribault Club Inn Has Been Placed On The National . . . — Map (db m58614) HM
Florida (Duval County), Fort George Island — F-211 — Site of the Mission of San Juan del Puerto
On Ft. George Road, on the left when traveling north.
The establishment of missions chiefly for the purpose of Christianizing the Indian population was one of the methods used by Spain in attempting to colonize Florida in the sixteenth century. The Mission of San Juan del Puerto was founded in the . . . — Map (db m21654) HM
Florida (Duval County), Ft. George Island — F-544 — St. George Episcopal Church
On Fort George Road, on the left when traveling north.
St. George Episcopal Church, designed by Robert S. Schuyler and built in 1882, is a fine example of Carpenter Gothic, one of the most distinctive varieties of church architecture. Such churches were promoted by Floridas second bishop, John Freeman . . . — Map (db m58981) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F- 260 — "Mother" Midway A.M.E. Church
On Van Buren Street, on the left when traveling north.
Midway A.M.E. Church was organized on Sunday, June 10, 1865, a few weeks after the Confederate Army in Florida surrendered to the Union Army. It was thus the first black independent church organized in Florida. William G. Steward was sent to Florida . . . — Map (db m59094) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — "The Great Endurance Run"
On Ocean Street (U.S. 1/90) near E Adams Street (State Road 228), on the left when traveling north.
On November 24, 1909 the "Autoists" participating in "The Great Endurance Run" reached the "Turn Around Checkpoint" at the Jacksonville City Hall which was located at this exact site. The location marked the halfway point for the "Drivers and . . . — Map (db m58574) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — “Spirit of Cecil Field”Hero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman St when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
From this master jet base naval aviators have served their country in times of war and peace. It is this “Spirit of Cecil Field” which provides naval carrier forces capable of responding worldwide. In the course of this response some . . . — Map (db m135843) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — “The Spirit of Cecil Field”
On Simpson Way 0.1 miles south of Crossover Street, on the left when traveling south.
This F-18C Hornet is dedicated to the men and woman who served their country with honor at Naval Air Station Cecil Field 1941-1999 — Map (db m135834) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — 1914 United Confederate Veterans Reunion
On Main Street N (State Route 5) (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling north.
On these grounds, May 6-9, 1914, the United Confederate Veterans celebrated their 24th annual reunion. Expecting no more than 25,000 reunion goers, the city was nearly overwhelmed when an estimated 70,000 visitors including 8,000 Veterans converged . . . — Map (db m73952) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-463 — 1960 Civil Rights Demonstration
On W Monroe Street near N Hogan Street, on the left when traveling east.
On Saturday, August 27,1960, 40 Youth Council demonstrators from the Jacksonville Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) advised by local civil rights leader Rutledge H. Pearson (1929-1967), sat in at the . . . — Map (db m58011) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — A Very Comfortable Habitation
On Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road, on the left when traveling north.
Historic references to the plantation house on Fort George Island are tantalizingly brief. The first detailed descriptions of the house and structural changes were recorded in the 20th century. From this vantage point, you can see the changes that . . . — Map (db m40536) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-448 — Abraham Lincoln Lewis Mausoleum
On Moncrief Road near Edgewood Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Pioneer Abraham Lincoln Lewis (1865-1947) and others founded Florida’s oldest African-American insurance company, Afro-American Life in 1901, which spread throughout the South as far as Texas. In 1926, A.L. Lewis opened Lincoln Golf and Country Club . . . — Map (db m58382) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — African IdentityAfrican Identity and Archaeology at Kingsley Plantation — African Identity in the Archival Record —
Near Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road, on the left when traveling north.
The birthplace of African-American archaeology can be traced to Kingsley Plantation, where archaeologists in 1968 first began to search for artifacts that reflected African identity. Many of the slaves that lived here during Zephaniah Kingsley's era . . . — Map (db m40852) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — African IdentityAfrican Identity and Archaeology at Kingsley Plantation — African Identity Discovered Through Archaeology —
On Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles from Fort George Road, on the left when traveling north.
Artifacts recovered by archaeologists provide clues as to who these enslaved African men, women and children were. This is most easily recognized within the realm of spirituality or religion, which is resistant to change. However, the physical . . . — Map (db m41193) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — All Veterans
Near St Johns Bluff Road North at Jerick Road, on the right when traveling south.
For God – Honor – Country the flag flying today is in honor and memory of All Veterans — Map (db m137883) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-827 — American Revolutionary War Battle of Thomas CreekMay 17, 1777
On Arnold Road 0.5 miles west of Pecan Park Road, on the right when traveling west.
In May 1777, 400 soldiers from the Continental Army and 165 members of the Georgia militia organized in Sunbury, Georgia, just north of the Florida border for an expedition into British East Florida in retaliation for raids conducted by British . . . — Map (db m93071) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Andrew Jackson
On S.Laura Street at E Independent Dr., on the left on S.Laura Street.
. . . — Map (db m138372) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Anna Madgigine Jai KingsleyChesterfield Plantation
Near University Boulevard North at Merrill Road, on the left when traveling north.
In 1806 Anna Madgigine Jai, a 13 year old girl of royal lineage in Senegal, West Africa, was sold into slavery and brought to the port of Havana, Cuba. There she was purchased by 38-year-old Zephaniah Kingsley, Jr., a wealthy white plantation . . . — Map (db m138877) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Arlington - A Unique Community
Near University Boulevard North at Merrill Road, on the left when traveling north.
From 1847 until sometime before 1860 Jacksonville University campus was the site of the Chesterfield farm of Anna Madgigine Jai Kingsley, former slave and widow of white plantation owner Zephaniah Kingsley. This farm was at the center of the . . . — Map (db m138876) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Arlington Grammar School No. 46
On University Boulevard North at Playa Way, on the right when traveling north on University Boulevard North. Reported unreadable.
Arlington Grammar School was built in 1921 to serve the children of white families living in an area of approximately 48 square miles stretching from the St. Johns River on the west eastward to what is today St. Johns Bluff Road and from the St. . . . — Map (db m138830) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-1032 — Birth of the Allman Brothers Band
On Riverside Avenue north of Mallory Street, on the right when traveling north.
On March 23, 1969, an interracial group of Southern musicians held a jam session in the front room of this house, known as the "Gray House." The jam went so well that veteran Muscle Shoals session guitarist Duane Allman barred the doorway and . . . — Map (db m131320) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Camp Site of the Forty-Ninth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry
On Main Street N (State Route 5) (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling north.
This tablet marks the camp site of the Forty-Ninth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry Colonel William G. Dows Commanding 1898-1899 War with Spain — Map (db m58576) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Capt. Bruce NystromHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman St when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
. . . — Map (db m135892) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Cdr. Jim HallHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman St when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
The Freedom Tree with the vision of universal freedom for all mankind This tree is dedicated to Cdr. Jim Hall And all Prisoners of War And Missing in Action 1973 — Map (db m136101) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Cdr. Peter SchoeffelHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman St, on the left when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
. . . — Map (db m136165) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-790 — Centennial Hall Edward Waters College
On Kings Road (U.S. 23) at Pearce Street, on the right when traveling west on Kings Road.
Founded in 1866, Edward Waters College (EWC) is the oldest historically black college in Florida. The history of the college is closely tied to the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church. In 1865, the Reverend Charles H. Pearch, a presiding elder . . . — Map (db m93073) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Chapel of the High-Speed PassHistoric Landmark
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman Street, on the left when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
Although much of the military infrastructure and facilities still remain after the closure of NAS Cecil Field in 1999, the base chapel has come to be recognized as the physical embodiment of the “Spirit of Cecil Field” defined by . . . — Map (db m136258) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Confederate Memorial 1861-1865Jacksonville, Florida
On W Duval Street near N Laura Street, on the left when traveling west.
(East face) To the Soldiers of Florida This shaft is by a comrade raised in testimony of his love, recalling deeds immortal, heroism unsurpassed.   With ranks unbroken, ragged, starved and . . . — Map (db m59799) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Confederate Torpedo Boat David
Near Winona Drive near N. Liberty Street, on the left.
Tomb In Memory of my shipmates of the Confederate Torpedo Boat David Charleston S.C. Oct 5, 1863 Lieut. W.T. Glassell,      C.S.N. Pilot W.J. Cannon,        C.S.N. Fireman Jas.Sullivan,   C.S.N. Chief Engineer James . . . — Map (db m57587) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles
On Riverside Avenue (State Road 211) at Memorial Park Drive, on the right when traveling east on Riverside Avenue.
September 1565 Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles Founder of St. Augustine and Adelantado of the Floridas under Phillip II of Spain voyaged up this river seeking a waterway to Mexico — Map (db m93403) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Duval CountyCreated August 12, 1822, named for Governor William Pope Duval — 1884    —    1915 —
On E Bay Street.
Born 1784-Died 1854. Captain Mounted Rangers, War of 1812. 1813-1815, U.S. Congressman from Kentucky 1821-1822, U.S. Judge, Eastern Florida. 1822-1834, First Civil Governor of Territory of Florida. 1838-1839, Member, Constitutional . . . — Map (db m57597) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Duval County Vietnam Memorial and Veterans Eternal Flame
On Market Street near E Bay Street, on the left when traveling south.
Proudly the citizens of Duval County pay tribute to the men and women who made the supreme sacrifice in the Viet Nam conflict. May their sacrifice merit God's blessing of a permanent peace for our nation. May 30, 1974 This flame . . . — Map (db m58445) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-150 — Duval County's First Court
On East Bay Street at South Liberty Street, on the right when traveling east on East Bay Street.
Duval County, established August 12, 1822, and named for William Pope DuVal, Florida's first civil governor, held its first court on December 1, 1823. Some 200 settlers gathered at the corner of Market and Forsyth Sts. to watch the session presided . . . — Map (db m92951) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Florida Pharmacy Association
On Main Street N near E Adams Street, on the left when traveling south.
1887 1987 [100th Anniversary Medallion] On June 8, 1887, a group of Florida pharmacists met in Jacksonville at the Board of Trade rooms located at the corner of Adams & Main Streets for the purpose of organizing a state pharmaceutical . . . — Map (db m59096) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-436 — Florida's First African-American Insurance Company1901-2001
On E Union Street near Ocean Street, on the right when traveling west.
The Afro-American Insurance Company, formerly the Afro-American Industrial and Benefits Association, was founded in 1901 to provide affordable health insurance and death benefits to the state's African-Americans. Founded by the Reverend E.J. Gregg, . . . — Map (db m59633) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Fort de la CarolineFort Caroline National Monument — Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve —
Near Ft. Caroline Road, on the left when traveling east.
"[The Spaniards] made a horrible, tragic slaughter of our forces, so great was the anger and hatred they had for our nation. They vied with one another to see who could best cut the throats of our people..." 1565 la Caroline carpenter . . . — Map (db m46573) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Frederick W. Bruce
On Arlington Road west of Rogero Road, on the right when traveling west.
Captain Frederick W. Bruce, for whom Bruce Park is named, was born in New Hampshire in 1856. In 1869 young Bruce was sent to live with his uncle Elisha Bruce in St. Augustine, Florida, but that same year, at age 13, ran away to sea, an adventure . . . — Map (db m93090) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Greenleaf & Crosby Bldg.
On North Laura Street at West Adams Street, on the left when traveling north on North Laura Street.
Historic Landmark Greenleaf & Crosby Bldg. 1927 Marsh & Saxelbye, Architects Awarded by Jacksonville Historic Landmarks Commission — Map (db m138109) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Greenleaf/Jacobs Clock
On North Laura Street at Adams Street, on the right when traveling south on North Laura Street.
Manufactured in 1901, and originally estimated to cost about $1200, the Greenleaf/Jacobs Clock was said “to be the handsomest of its kind in the South…” Although street clocks have been erected in other American cities, none compare . . . — Map (db m138819) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Historic Floral Bluff
On Floral Bluff Road at Catlin Drive, on the left when traveling west on Floral Bluff Road.
Floral Bluff Plantation, originally part of a land granted to Italian immigrant Francis Richard by Spanish government in the 1790s, occupied over a half mile of riverfront property. Robert Bigelow, a Connecticut native and graduate of Yale . . . — Map (db m139242) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Historic King's Road British East Florida
On Museum Circle.
The King's Road, built by the British prior to the American Revolution, began at the St. Mary's River, passed through Cowford (Jacksonville), crossed the St. John's River, it is believed, at present day Liberty Street, approximately one mile east of . . . — Map (db m60398) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Historic Strawberry Plantation
On Garrison Avenue at Magnolia Bluff Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Garrison Avenue.
The 8,000 acre Strawberry Mills and Plantation, part of a Spanish sawmill grant to Francis Richard, Jr., was purchased by John S. Sammis circa 1840. Sammis, a native of New York, moved to Florida in the 1820s and worked briefly for prominent . . . — Map (db m139252) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville And The Movie Industry
On Arlington Road at Westdale Drive, on the right when traveling west on Arlington Road.
Though originally centered around the Theater District of New York City, silent film production companies soon discovered New England winters too harsh for year-round filming. In the winter of 1908 cast and crew of the production company Kalem . . . — Map (db m93088) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville Public LibraryMain Library
On N. Laura St at W. Monroe Street, on the right when traveling north on N. Laura St.
On September 5, 2000, Jacksonville Mayor John Delaney asked Duval County voters to support The Better Jacksonville Plan, a referendum that would fund quality of life improvements. Voters approved the plan, and soon construction was under way on . . . — Map (db m138810) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville Young Mens Christian Association
On North Laura Street south of West Duval Street, on the right when traveling north.
Originally built for Jacksonville Young Mens Christian Association Construction in 1908 Henry John Klutho Architect Southern Ferro Concrete Co. Builder The building located on the corner of Hemming Plaza was Florida’s first . . . — Map (db m138389) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-433 — Jacksonville's 1901 Fire"The Great Fire"
On West DuVal Street near N Hogan Street, on the left when traveling west.
On May 3, 1901 at 12:30 p.m., a fire began at the Cleaveland Fibre Factory, ten blocks northwest of this site. Chimney embers ignited sun-dried moss to be used as mattress stuffing. Fueled by wind and dry weather, the fire roared east destroying . . . — Map (db m58013) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — James Edwin CraigOctober 29, 1901 – December 7, 1941
Near Craig Boulevard at St Johns Bluff Road North when traveling east.
The James E. Craig Memorial pavilion is dedicated to the memory of Jacksonville native, James Edwin Craig, the namesake of Jacksonville Executive at Craig Airport. He served his country with honor. After becoming an aviator in 1929, he served on . . . — Map (db m137888) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Jean Ribaut
On Heckscher Drive (State Road 1A) south of Fort George Road, on the right when traveling south.
Jean Ribaut and a party of Huguenots landed the morning of May 1, 1562 on this island. Here they knelt in prayer, beseeching God's guidance and commending the natives to his care. This was the first Protestant prayer in North America. — Map (db m40024) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — John Fitzgerald Kennedy
On W. Monroe St. 0.1 miles west of N. Laura Street when traveling west.
In Memory Of John Fitzgerald Kennedy 1917-1963 Thirty-Fifth President Of The United States 1961-1963 This memorial erected by the Jacksonville Building and Construction Trade Council to commemorate John F. Kennedy’s . . . — Map (db m138337) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — John Milton Bryan SimpsonMay 30, 1903 - August 22, 1987
On N Hogan Street.
Born 1903 in Kissimmee, Florida. Graduated from University of Florida College of Law 1926. Practiced law, Jacksonville, Florida, 1926-39. Assistant State Attorney, Fourth Judicial Circuit of Florida, 1933-39. Judge, Duval County Criminal . . . — Map (db m60012) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-234 — Joseph E. Lee
On East 17th Street at Haines Street, on the right when traveling east on East 17th Street. Reported missing.
(side 1) Joseph E. Lee, one of Florida's most distinguished adopted sons, was born in Philadelphia in 1849. Shortly after obtaining a law degree from Howard University in 1873, Lee began to practice in Florida as Jacksonville's first black . . . — Map (db m129570) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — King’s Road Meets Apalache Trail
On W.Duval St. at N. Laura Street, on the left when traveling west on W.Duval St..
At this spot the Kings Road met the Apalache Trail, so connecting the English colonies and the Spanish settlements of the west with St. Augustine and New Smyrna — Map (db m138343) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Kingsley PlantationFort George Island
On Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road, on the right when traveling north.
The plantation house symbolizes the owners and their freedom. The cabin ruins stand behind you as a testament to the enslaved and their lives of forced labor. Explore the plantation grounds and discover the stories of plantation owners and . . . — Map (db m40007) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Kingsley PlantationFreedom and Slavery
Near Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road, on the right when traveling north.
In the spring of 1814, Zephaniah Kingsley relocated his family to this sea island plantation. Over the next two decades he developed his controversial views on race, society, and slavery. Kingsley was a successful businessman who had strong . . . — Map (db m40035) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Kingsley PlantationPlantation Era Florida
Near Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road.
The plantation era was a time in our history of opportunity, political contradictions and great cruelty. For planters, like Zephaniah Kingsley, it was a time for amassing land and wealth. For enslaved Africans who produced the wealth it was a . . . — Map (db m40085) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — LCdr. Denver KeyHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy near Lake Newman Street, on the left when traveling north.
The Freedom Tree with the vision of universal freedom for all mankind This tree is dedicated to LCdr. Denver Key and all Prisoners of War And Missing in Action 1973 — Map (db m136176) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — LCdr. Fred WrightHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman St when traveling south on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
The Freedom Tree with the vision of universal freedom for all mankind This tree is dedicated to LCDR Fred Wright And all Prisoners of War And Missing in Action 1973 — Map (db m136079) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — LCdr. James SullivanHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman Street when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
. . . — Map (db m136092) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — LCdr. John DavisHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman St on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
. . . — Map (db m136252) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — LCdr. Lee ColeHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman St, on the left when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
The Freedom Tree With the vision of universal freedom for all mankind This tree is dedicated to LCdr Lee Cole and all Prisoners of War And Missing in Action 1973 — Map (db m136637) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — LCDR. M. Scott SpeicherHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees
Near POW-MIA Memorial Parkway at Lake Newman Street when traveling north.
The Freedom Tree Unselfish dedication and devotion by preserving universal freedom through the ultimate sacrifice of giving one’s life so that mankind will remain Free This tree is dedicated to: LCDR. M. Scott Speicher VFA-81 . . . — Map (db m135847) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — LCdr. Michael HoffHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Parkway at Lake Newman Street when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Parkway.
The Freedom Tree with the vision of universal freedom for all mankind This tree is dedicated to LCdr. Michael Hoff and all Prisoners of War and Missing in Action 1973 — Map (db m136103) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — LCdr. Phil CraigHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman St, on the left when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
. . . — Map (db m136251) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — LCdr. Randolph FordHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman St when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
. . . — Map (db m135851) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Looking Back
On Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road, on the left when traveling north.
Imagine ... instead of the empty historic building and peaceful riverfront of today, a slave owner's family sits watching from the porch of their comfortable home as cargo-laden boats pass by on the river. Breezes off the water cool the . . . — Map (db m40043) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Looking Back
On Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road.
Imagine...instead of a lush green landscape of today, a long dusty road stretches to the slave cabins and field beyond. Bent over cotton plants, under the hot sun with dust-filled air, enslaved people toil day in and day out amidst the odor of . . . — Map (db m40077) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Lt. Carl WielandHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman St when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
. . . — Map (db m135854) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Lt. Dale RaebelHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman Street when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
The Freedom Tree with the vision of universal freedom for all mankind This tree is dedicated to LT. Dale Raebel and all Prisoners of War and Missing in Action 1973 — Map (db m135896) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Lt. Robert J. DwyerHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees
On POW-MIA Memorial Parkway at Lake Newman Street when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Parkway.
The Freedom Tree Unselfish dedication and devotion by preserving universal freedom through the ultimate sacrifice of giving one’s life so that mankind will remain Free This tree is dedicated to: LT. Robert J. Dwyer CVW-8 . . . — Map (db m135850) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Lt. Steve MusselmanHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman St, on the left when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
. . . — Map (db m136178) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Millers Creek
On Atlantic Blvd (County Route 10) (U.S. 90) at Mayfair Road, on the right when traveling east on Atlantic Blvd (County Route 10).
David Solomon Hill Miller, Englishman, first settled near here in 1799 and married Anna Hogans Bagley, widow, owner of a Spanish land grant of 300 acres west of this creek. D.S.H. Miller served Spain as Capt. Rural Militia of the St. Johns River, . . . — Map (db m59097) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — New FranceFort Caroline National Monument — Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve —
On Ft. Caroline Road, on the left when traveling east.
"After... two months... Ribault made port in New France... [where] he discovered a very large and beautiful river ... Ribault erected a column of hard stone on the banks of this river ... The coat of arms of France was carved upon it." René . . . — Map (db m46575) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Norman Silent Film Studios
On Arlington Road at Westdale Drive, on the right when traveling west on Arlington Road.
While Jacksonville bustled with the activity of motion picture filming during the years 1908 through 1916, by the early 1920s little of the industry remained in town. However, over on Laura Street in the Springfield section of Jacksonville, brothers . . . — Map (db m93419) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-742 — Old Brewster Hospital
On West Monroe Street at North Davis Street, on the left when traveling east on West Monroe Street.
Built in 1885 as a private residence, Old Brewster Hospital and Nursing Training School was the first medical facility to serve Jacksonville’s African-American community. Located in the LaVilla neighborhood, the hospital opened in 1901 through the . . . — Map (db m93261) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Old Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Home1893-1938
Near E Union Street near N Washington Street.
Confederate Plot Section Six is the final resting place for the Confederate Veterans who resided at the Old Soldiers and Sailors Home, a refuge for aged and disabled Veterans. The Florida Soldiers Home Association was formed in 1888 with . . . — Map (db m57549) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Old Jacksonville Free Public Library
On East Adams Street (State Road 228) at Ocean Street (U.S. 1/90), on the right when traveling west on East Adams Street.
Old Jacksonville Free Public Library Built c. 1904 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m138105) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Old Philips Congregational Church
On St Augustine Road at Kingswood Road, on the right when traveling north on St Augustine Road.
Constructed in c. 1887, the Old Philips Congregational Church is one of the few remaining structures dating from the old Philips Community. Later erased by twentieth century sub-divisions, this rural 19th century community was named after Albert . . . — Map (db m59098) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Operation Desert Shield 1990/Operation Desert Storm 1991
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman Street, on the right when traveling south on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
America’s strength lies in the men and women who prepare to defend the ideals of this great country to the fullest. The highest sacrifice anyone can make is to give one’s life so that universal freedom throughout the free world remains steadfast. . . . — Map (db m136285) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-774 — Oriental Gardens
On San Jose Boulevard at Oriental Gardens Road, on the right when traveling south on San Jose Boulevard.
Located two miles from downtown Jacksonville, south of Craig Creek in San Marco, Oriental Gardens charmed Jacksonville visitors and residents for nearly two decades. In 1925, George W. Clark began planting overflow from his botanical collection on a . . . — Map (db m93100) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Philips ~ Craig Swamp Cemetery
On St. Augustine Road near Lorimier Road, on the right when traveling north.
Dating back to the 1840's, the Philips-Craig Swamp Cemetery was a community burial ground for the old Philips settlement originally located along both sides of Old Kings Road (St. Augustine Road). Later erased by twentieth century subdivisions, this . . . — Map (db m59099) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-819 — Pilot Town/Napoleon Bonaparte Broward
On Heckscher Drive (State Road A1A) south of Fort George Road, on the left when traveling south.
(side 1) Pilot Town The St. Johns River provided trade access that supported the economy of the Fort George Island plantations. Cotton and sugar from the plantations were transported on the river to trading posts. Early Spanish . . . — Map (db m106389) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Plantation CropsGrown for Profit and Sustenance
Near Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road.
Cash crops, like sea island cotton, indigo, and sugar cane, made a profit for the owner. Other crops, like potatoes, okra, and yams, fed the families of both owners and slaves. Sea island cotton was highly prized because of its long, strong, . . . — Map (db m40143) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Plantation SlaveryThe Many Faces of Slavery
On Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road, on the left when traveling north.
The exploitation of enslaved people differed throughout the Americas. However, the bottom line was profit for the owner, while for the slave it was loss of freedom. Slaves were possessions. They were viewed as a valuable commodity to be bought . . . — Map (db m83539) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Ribault Monument
Near Ft. Caroline Road, on the left when traveling east.
(Front): This is a replica of the marker placed on or near this spot by Jean Ribaut May First 1562 in taking possession of Florida for France. (Back): Erected by the Florida Daughters of the American Revolution May First 1924 . . . — Map (db m46578) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — San Jose Country Club
Near San Jose Boulevard (State Road 13) at St Augustine Road, on the right when traveling north.
San Jose Country Club built 1925 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m138107) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — San Jose Estates Administrative Building
Near San Jose Boulevard (State Road 13) at St Augustine Road, on the right when traveling west.
San Jose Estates Administration Building Built 1925 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m138035) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-776 — San Marco
On San Marco Boulevard at Balis Place, on the right when traveling west on San Marco Boulevard.
With the opening of the St. John's River Bridge in 1921, South Jacksonville became attractive to developers during the Florida land boom. In 1925, Jacksonville real estate developer Telfair Stockton began work on San Marco, an 80-acre . . . — Map (db m93303) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-842 — Sawpit Bluff Plantation
On Sawpit Road 0.1 miles north of Flounder Road, on the left when traveling north.
Side 1 Sawpit Bluff Plantation, located on Black Hammock Island, was built in the 1750s by Edmund Gray. The plantation was named for the sawpit excavated to accommodate the up and down motion of a vertical saw blade. The plantation house . . . — Map (db m92973) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-919 — Second Missionary Baptist Church of LaVilla
On Kings Road (U.S. 23) at North Davis Street, on the right when traveling east on Kings Road.
The founders of Second Missionary Baptist Church worshipped at Bethel Baptist Church with their slaves masters in the 1830s. They built their first separate wooden sanctuary in 1848 in the African American neighborhood of LaVilla. The first . . . — Map (db m101663) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Seminole War Blockhouse Site
On East Monroe Street at Ocean Street (U.S. 90), on the left when traveling east on East Monroe Street.
Here stood the blockhouse erected for the defense of the settlers against the Indians during the Seminole War 1835-1842 — Map (db m70535) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-464 — Sinking of the Maple Leaf
On Southern Teminus of S Hogan Street, in the median.
Approximately 15 miles up river from this point, the Union transport Maple Leaf was destroyed by a Confederate mine during the early morning hours of April 1, 1864. The Maple Leaf sank to the bottom of the St. Johns River after hitting . . . — Map (db m58347) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-66 — Site of Cow Ford
On E Bay Street at S Liberty Street, on the right when traveling east on E Bay Street.
This narrow part of the St. Johns River, near a clear freshwater spring was a crossing point for Indians and early travelers. The Indian name Wacca Pilatka, meaning "Cow's Crossing", was shortened by the English to Cow Ford, and Jacksonville was . . . — Map (db m58715) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Skirmish at Cedar Creek
On Lenox Avenue 0.2 miles west of Lane Avenue S (State Road 103), on the right when traveling west.
On March 1, 1864, ten days after the Confederate Victory at Olustee, Union and Confederate forces met along this road in a running skirmish. The fight started 2 to 3 miles west of here, 10am, when Union forces advanced out of Camp Mooney (Ellis Rd.) . . . — Map (db m63832) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Slave CabinsThe Lost Art of Tabby
On Palmetto Avenue north of Fort George Road, on the right when traveling north.
Constructed nearly 200 hundred years ago, these cabins were home to enslaved people. Following emancipation, former slaves lived here and worked the land. Slowly, individuals and families moved away, leaving the buildings to fall into ruin. . . . — Map (db m40543) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Slave CabinsResistance
On Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road, on the right when traveling north.
Slaves actively resisted bondage by purposefully slowing down their work pace, faking illness, or even mutilating themselves in order to lessen their value as human property. Resisting the inhumanity of their enslaved condition, slaves . . . — Map (db m40657) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Slave CabinsStrength to Survive
On Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road, on the right when traveling north.
In front of you are the remains of 25 cabins, the homes of 60 to 80 men, women, and children. These people had the strength to survive the misery of slavery. Before dawn, slaves left for their day's labor, or to use their specialized skills. . . . — Map (db m40689) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Slave CabinsLooking Back
On Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road, on the left when traveling north.
The island's landscape has changed dramatically since the plantation era. Gone are the roofs, fruit trees, wells, and garden plots. Trees and grasses now replace fields once tilled by slaves. To be a slave was to be a human being under . . . — Map (db m40847) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Slave CabinsVoices From the Past
On Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road, on the right when traveling north.
The slave quarters were a place to find identity and strength through family, faith, and shared experiences. Many American traditions originate from the daily activities and beliefs of enslaved people. Practices that survive today revolve . . . — Map (db m41248) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Slave CabinsGrowing Up a Slave
On Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road, on the right when traveling north.
From the earliest age, children were trained to do their parents' work. They were terrified of the punishment their parents endured. Parents taught their enslaved children strict obedience so they could survive. And yet, like children today, they . . . — Map (db m41272) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Slaves CabinsAt the Edge between Two Worlds
On Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road, on the right when traveling north.
You are standing at the edge of two worlds. You are leaving the world of the owner and entering the world of the slave. The cabin ruins before you are a vivid testament to the generations of slaves who lived there. On them depended the . . . — Map (db m40120) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Soldiers of the American Revolution Associated with Jacksonville’s History
Near Riverplace Boulevard (State Road 13) at Flagler Avenue.
General John McIntosh (c.) 1756-1826 was born in Darien Georgia. He assisted botanist William Bartram 1773-1774, and in 1774 they explored along the St. Johns River. His activities during the Revolutionary War included serving as a captain, . . . — Map (db m138114) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-775 — South Jacksonville City Hall
On Hendricks Avenue (State Road 13) at Cedar Street, on the left when traveling north on Hendricks Avenue.
Jacksonville’s Great Fire of May 3, 1901, destroyed a large a large part of the city and left nearly 10,000 people homeless. Numerous residents of the city relocated to other areas, including to the then-remote area of South Jacksonville, across the . . . — Map (db m138016) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Spanish PondFort Caroline National Monument — Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve —
On Ft. Caroline Road, on the right when traveling east.
500 Spanish soldiers from St. Augustine marched four days through marsh, forest tangle, fierce wind, and heavy rainfall to an encampment near here. Exhausted and hungry they rested in a downpour; at dawn they attacked and captured France's Fort . . . — Map (db m46579) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-853 — St. Joseph Missionary Baptist Church
On Broad Street 0.1 miles south of West 1st Street, on the right when traveling north.
This original sanctuary of the St. Joseph Missionary Baptist Church is one of the few remaining institutional buildings directly associated with the old community of Hansontown. Originally a farming cooperative established for black Union soldiers, . . . — Map (db m92954) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Staking a ClaimRibault Monument — Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve —
On Ft. Caroline Road, on the left when traveling east.
During the sixteenth century, France was determined to expand its empire. Spain, the world's leading power, already had a foothold in the Americas, and France wanted to share of the riches the Spanish were gaining through trade and plunder. France's . . . — Map (db m46574) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Task SystemManaging Labor
On Palmetto Avenue 2.1 miles north of Fort George Road, on the left when traveling north.
Many crops were grown on the plantation, but sea island cotton produced the highest profit. Growing and processing it required a complex work structure. The task system was used to manage the many specialized requirements of sea island cotton . . . — Map (db m40499) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-149 — The Beginning
On S Market Street near E Bay Street, on the right when traveling south.
Here at the foot of Market St. stood a bay tree which served as the starting point for the original survey of Jacksonville in June 1822. Market was the first street laid off and named. A total of 20 squares were platted, bounded by Ocean, Duval, . . . — Map (db m58012) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The Building of la CarolineFort Caroline National Monument — Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve —
Near Ft. Caroline Road, on the left when traveling east.
"Every one of us - noblemen, soldiers, workmen, sailors - worked hard to get our post ready to shelter us from the weather and protect us against enemies." Jacques le Moyne, 1564 la Caroline colonist and artist Measuring a piece of . . . — Map (db m46572) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The Carling Hotel
On West Adams Street west of Main Street (U.S. 1/90), on the right when traveling west.
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m138116) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The Florida Medical Assn
On West Adams Street at North Laura Street, on the right when traveling west on West Adams Street.
On this site January 14, 1874 The Florida Medical Assn was founded in the office of Abel Seymour Baldwin, M.D. — Map (db m138816) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-138 — The Huguenot Memorial Site
On Huguenot Memorial Park Road 0.2 miles east of Heckscher Drive (State Road A1A), on the right when traveling east.
In 1562, when France was being torn by religious strife, Gaspard de Coligny, Admiral of France, sent two vessels to the New World in search of a refuge for the oppressed Huguenots. Leading the expedition was the Huguenot explorer, Jean Ribaut, who . . . — Map (db m33486) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The Monument to Women of the Southern Confederacy
On Phelps Street near Hubbard Street, on the right when traveling east.
(Top) 1861  In Memory of the Women of Our Southland  1865 (Center) Let this mute but eloquent structure speak to generations to come, of a generation of the past. Let it repeat perpetually the imperishable story . . . — Map (db m58820) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-508 — The Mungen House
On Jessie Street near Palmetto Street.
This frame vernacular house was built in 1928 for Doane Martin Mungen, Sr. (1872-1948) and his wife Mary Elizabeth Mungen (1874-1955). It is located in the Oakland neighborhood, which was platted in 1869, and emerged in the 1870s as a working class . . . — Map (db m58750) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The Plaza BuildingHistoric Landmark
On E. Forsyth Street at N.Liberty Street, on the left when traveling east on E. Forsyth Street.
The Plaza Building First Built Circa 1863 By the Chief Surgeon of the Confederate Army. Rebuilt circa 1902 after the Great Fire of 1901. Restored 1985 This property has been placed on the National Register of . . . — Map (db m138802) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The River of MayFort Caroline National Monument — Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve —
On Ft. Caroline Road, on the left when traveling east.
"[H]aving landed [on the River of May's shore]... we saw the chief of that country, ... he ... showed such enthusiasm that he almost lost his composure. He came up to us... repeating ...'friend, friend.'" Captain René de Laundonnière, 1564 . . . — Map (db m46555) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The St. JohnsA River of Many Names
Near Museum Circle just west of South Main Street (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling west. Reported missing.
(side 1) Discovered by Juan Bono Quexos, 1520 • First named Rio de Corrientes by Spain • Explored by Pedro Menendez • Called Riviere de Mai by France, 1562-4 • San Mateo, Salamototo and Picolata were among its other Spanish names • Its . . . — Map (db m129642) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Timucuan FriendsFort Caroline National Monument — Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve —
Near Ft. Caroline Road, on the left when traveling east.
"[The Timucuans] brought us grains of roasted maize,... smoked lizards or other wild animals... and various kinds of roots, some for foods, others for medicine. And when they discovered that we were more interested in metals and minerals, they . . . — Map (db m46571) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Timucuan PreserveFort Caroline National Monument — Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve —
Near Ft. Caroline Road, on the left when traveling east.
Bound by the Nassau River, the Atlantic Ocean, and the St. Johns River, the Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve seeks to protect much of the water and undeveloped land you see from here. Salt marsh, coastal hammock, tidal creeks, and sea and . . . — Map (db m46576) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — #148 — United States Railroad Administration Locomotive
On 1000 W Bay Street, on the left when traveling west.
National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark United States Railroad Administration Locomotive Atlantic Coast Line Class P-5a 4-6-2 No. 1504   1919 During the World-War I emergency, American railroads were placed under the . . . — Map (db m59100) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-905 — Van Zant House
On Woodcrest Road at Mull Street, on the right when traveling west on Woodcrest Road.
Musicians Ronnie, Donnie, and Johnny Van Zant spent their formative years growing up in this house with their sisters and parents between the 1950s and 1980s. A serendipitous foul ball hit by Ronnie Van Zant at a nearby park struck future bandmate . . . — Map (db m120254) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Vietnam POW*MIA MemorialPOW-MIA Memorial and Museum
On POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy at Lake Newman St, on the left when traveling north on POW-MIA Memorial Pkwy.
Dedicated to those Killed in Action, Missing in Action, Prisoners of War and Veterans who served in Southeast Asia, 1960 – 1973. — Map (db m136160) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-777 — Villa Alexandria
On River Road at Arbor Lane, in the median on River Road.
Villa Alexandria, built in the 1870s as the winter home of Alexander and Martha Mitchell of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, once stood near here. Martha Mitchell's brother, Harrison Reed, served as Florida Governor from 1868-73 and lived nearby on the south . . . — Map (db m93119) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Yellow Bluff FortDedicated to the memory of the Confederate soldiers who defended Jacksonville, 1861-1865.
On New Berlin Road at Olympia Avenue, on the right when traveling east on New Berlin Road.
A Confederate earthworks designed and located by General Robert E. Lee as one of a series of forts for the defense of the Saint Johns River. This fort was occupied by both Confederate and Union forces during the course of the war and is today in its . . . — Map (db m33458) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — F-758 — American Red Cross Volunteer Life Saving Corps and Station
On Beach Boulevard east of 1st Street South, on the left when traveling east.
In 1912, following the drowning of a prominent citizen, Dr. Lyman Haskell and Clarence MacDonald established and trained Florida’s first U.S. Volunteer Life Saving Corps (VLSC) at this location to protect the lives of bathers on Jacksonville Beach . . . — Map (db m93262) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — Beaches Museum ChapelIn Honor of Frances Deyampert McCondichie
Near Beach Boulevard (U.S. 90).
The Beaches Museum Chapel, also known as the old St. Paul's Episcopal By-The-Sea, is one of the oldest remaining structures at the Beaches. It was built in 1887 two blocks south of this location and two blocks south from the ocean in what is now . . . — Map (db m107836) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — F- 293 — Doolittle's 1922 Record Flight
On Beach Boulevard (U.S. 90) near N 5th Street, on the right when traveling west.
Aviation pioneers were attracted to Northeast Florida's hard, wide beaches. Pablo Beach, as Jacksonville Beach was known until 1925, served as takeoff or terminal point for several early coast-to-coast flights. The first of these, in 1912, required . . . — Map (db m57600) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — F-305 — First Settlers At Ruby, Florida
On Beach Boulevard (U.S. 90) near N 4th Street, on the right when traveling west.
In 1883 construction of the Jacksonville and Atlantic Railroad was begun to serve this undeveloped area. The track was narrow-gauge, running 16.54 miles from the south bank of the St. Johns River to the beach. The first settlers were William Edward . . . — Map (db m57599) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — Mayport Depot
Near Beach Boulevard (U.S. 90).
The Mayport Depot was built in 1900 for the Florida East Coast Railway when Henry Flagler expanded the line running up to Mayport from a narrow gauge track to a standard gauge track. The new standard gauge line also provided transport for people . . . — Map (db m107837) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — Oesterreicher-McCormick HomesteadIn Honor of Vic & Mary Lenoble
On Pablo Avenue (U.S. 90) at North 5th Street, on the left when traveling west on Pablo Avenue.
The Oesterreicher-McCormick Homestead was built in 1873, and is one of the oldest remaining homes in the Beaches area. The building is a rare example of cracker-style architecture that was used in Florida. One of the main features of this . . . — Map (db m108134) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — Pablo Beach FEC Foreman's House
Near Beach Boulevard (U.S. 90) at 4th Street North, on the right when traveling west.
The Pablo Beach FEC Foreman’s House was built in 1900 by the Florida East Coast Railway after it was bought by Henry Flagler. The house was built for the use of the local section foreman and his family, and represents a standard design used by the . . . — Map (db m108179) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — Pablo Beach Post Office
Near 4th Street North (U.S. 90).
The Pablo Beach Post Office was built in 1903, and used as the post office for the area until 1908. While this building was in use, the town was known as Pablo Beach until 1925 when it was renamed Jacksonville Beach. This building was the first . . . — Map (db m108217) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — Porter Wood Burning Locomotive
On Beach Boulevard (U.S. 90), on the left when traveling east.
Porter wood burning locomotive representing type of engine employed during the 1880's on the St. Johns Railway, St. Augustine's first passenger line - chartered in 1858 and in active operation until 1894. Donated to City . . . — Map (db m60201) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — F-541 — SS Gulfamerica
On 4th Avenue N near Ocean Front N, on the right when traveling north.
This marker commemorates the attack on the USS Gulfamerica on April 10, 1942, during World War II (1941-1945) by a German U-boat just off the coast of Jacksonville Beach. The Gulfamerica, a merchant marine vessel, was on her maiden . . . — Map (db m57687) HM
Florida (Duval County), Mandarin — F-48 — Church of Our Savior(Episcopal)
On Mandarin Road near Thornapple Drive, on the right when traveling west.
Situated on the St. Johns on a portion of the Fairbanks Grant, this congregation was organized in 1867. The church was completed in 1883 under the Rev. C.M. Sturgess, a mission priest assigned to the St. Johns Valley. The church was regularly . . . — Map (db m62322) HM
Florida (Duval County), Mandarin — F-40 — Harriet Beecher Stowe Home
On Mandarin Road near Brady Road, on the right when traveling west.
In 1867, Mrs. Harriet Beecher Stowe and her husband Calvin bought thirty acres of the Fairbanks Grant in Mandarin which served as their winter home until the winter of 1883-1884. The move to Florida was due to plans for philanthropy among the . . . — Map (db m62490) HM
Florida (Duval County), Mayport — Historic Old Mayport Cemetery
On Broad Street 0.2 miles east of Ocean Street, on the left when traveling east.
This is the site of the Historic Old Mayport Cemetery, on Navy, City of Jacksonville and nearby private properties, covered beneath considerable fill material, roadways and private development. The names of some who are interred here are known; . . . — Map (db m137916) HM

140 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement