Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hernando County Florida Historical Markers

 
Bayport in the Civil War/The Battle of Bayport Marker Side 2 image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, November 8, 2017
Bayport in the Civil War/The Battle of Bayport Marker Side 2
Florida (Hernando County), Bayport — F-915 — Bayport in the Civil War/The Battle of Bayport
(side 1) Bayport in the Civil War Bayport was a shallow-water gulf port town in the 1850s. The town was designated the Hernando County Seat and a port of delivery by Congress in 1854. Before the Civil War, the port shipped lumber cut . . . — Map (db m110440) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Bayport — F-789 — Bayport's Early Historic Period/Post Civil War Era
Bayport's Early Historic Period During the First Spanish Period (1565-1763) Florida served as a military defense port. In 1763, under British control, agricultural commerce became important. Control of Florida returned to Spain in 1783. In . . . — Map (db m93297) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Bayport — F-788 — The Bayport Area Before Human Occupation/Bayport's First People
(side 1) The Bayport Area Before Human Occupation The fossilized remains of many prehistoric animals and plants are buried in the Bayport area. During the Eocene Period, 45 million years ago (MYA), the Gulf covered this region. . . . — Map (db m93296) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Brooksville — F-510 — Chinsegut Hill
In 1842, South Carolinian Bird M. Pearson staked a claim on 160 acres and called it Mount Airy, one of the few surviving plantations in Florida and one of the oldest houses in Hernando County. Pearson built the manor house's east wing in 1847 and . . . — Map (db m67006) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Brooksville — F-802 — Chocochatti
The first colony of Muskogee-speaking Upper Creek Indians from Alabama was established nearby in 1767. British surveyor/naturalist Bernard Romans identified the settlement as "New Yufala, planted in a beautiful and fertile plain." It later became . . . — Map (db m93307) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Brooksville — Saint Stanislaus Chapel Established 1915
The first St. Stanislaus Church was built here in 1915 by a small group of Polish farmers who had purchased land in this area of Hernando County in an effort to begin a new community. Priests from St. Leo Abbey would come out once a month to . . . — Map (db m37326) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Brooksville — St. Anthony the Abbot Church Established 1892 Oldest Catholic Parish in Hernando County
Though mass was first celebrated for Brooksville Catholics at the Hope residence on Easter Sunday 1874 by Bishop Augustin Verot, a formal Catholic mission was not established until 1892. At that time Fr. Roman Kirchner, the Benedictine Pastor of St. . . . — Map (db m44010) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Ridge Manor — F-247 — Fort King Road
Shortly after Florida became a U.S. Territory, Fort Brooke was constructed at the mouth of the Hillsborough River and Fort King was established near the present site of Ocala. In 1825, work was begun by the federal government on an overland route . . . — Map (db m41865) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Spring Lake — Spring Lake Community Center 1938
This building was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) in 1938. It was originally proposed to be a building that could be used as a polling place on election days and as a community recreation hall. The School Board saw the . . . — Map (db m93387) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Weeki Wachee — Bayport
The interior of Central Florida opened for settlement by whites in the mid-1840s following the end of the Second Seminole War. In the absence of roads and railroads, coastal and inland waterways provided the transportation routes essential to . . . — Map (db m67109) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Weeki Wachee — F-939 — Town of Centralia
Side 1: This site was once the location of one of Florida's largest lumber mills. As demand for insect and rot resistant cypress increased, the J.C. Turner Lumber Company began the logging of over 15,000 acres of Red Tidewater Cypress, . . . — Map (db m110443) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement