Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hillsborough County Florida Historical Markers

202 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2
 
A Butterfly’s Habitat Marker image, Touch for more information
By Sandra Hughes, January 9, 2013
A Butterfly’s Habitat Marker
Florida (Hillsborough County), Apollo Beach — A Butterfly’s Habitat
In the Tampa Bay area’s subtropical climate, butterflies can thrive among many varieties of plants. In fact, most live their entire lives around plants like the ones in this garden, which was created as a butterfly habitat. The plants attract . . . — Map (db m106502) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Apollo Beach — Do You See a Manatee?
As manatees move about in the warm water, you may see various parts of their anatomy. These include: Snouts If you hear a rushing noise like that of a snorkeler who’s blowing water out of his tube, be sure to scan the water’s surface for . . . — Map (db m106503) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Apollo Beach — Listen carefully to hear a manatee!
Manatees can communicate with each other by making squeaks, chips and squeals. Most manatee communications occur between a mother and her calf. Perhaps you will hear a mother manatee calling her calf if they become visually separated. . . . — Map (db m106504) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Apollo Beach — Long-Legged Wading Birds Stalk the Shallows
Great Blue Heron This is the largest member of the heron family. Its long legs allow it to wade in deeper water than the other herons. The great blue’s powerful neck whips its sharp beak at its prey with great speed. Its favorite meal is . . . — Map (db m106507) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Apollo Beach — Manatee Scar Identification
Manatee photo-identification is a research technique that uses the unique pattern of scars and mutilations on a manatee’s trunk and tail fluke to identify an individual animal over time. In Florida, the scars are primarily a result of . . . — Map (db m106500) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Apollo Beach — Storm Water and the Estuary
Clean brackish water, created by the mixing of clean fresh water and salt water, is important to the health of the estuary. Stormwater runoff however, can create problems.

What is Stormwater Runoff? It is excess rain that flows over . . . — Map (db m106499) HM

Florida (Hillsborough County), Apollo Beach — The Life Cycle of the Monarch ButterflyDananus plexippus
Range The monarch butterfly is native to North, Central, and northern South America. It has been accidentally introduced to numerous islands in the Pacific and Atlantic. Habitat In the spring and summer, the monarch butterfly’s . . . — Map (db m106501) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Apollo Beach — What Role Do Mangroves Play In An Estuary?
Mangroves are the basis of the estuary’s food chain and are important nurseries for fish, crustaceans and shellfish. Seventy-five percent of the game fish and ninety percent of the commercial species in south Florida are dependent on mangrove . . . — Map (db m106506) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Bealsville — Bealsville
The community that became known as Bealsville was settled in late 1865 by former slaves from nearby plantations in Hopewell, Springhead and surrounding areas. The original settlers were Steven Allen, Issac Berry, Peter Dexter, Neptune Henry, Mills . . . — Map (db m101009) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Brandon — Brandon Family Cemetery
The earliest marked grave, dated 1857, was that of Susan Carson, mother of Martha Carson Brandon. Traveling by wagon train, John Brandon, his wife Martha (cousin of Kit Carson) and six sons left Mississippi and arrived at Fort Brooke (Tampa) in . . . — Map (db m57356) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Brandon — Brandon Homestead
In 1876 James H. Brandon, son of town founder John Brandon and wife Martha, built this large two-story frame home for his wife Johanna and their seven children. They loved entertaining guests in their Folk Victorian southern mansion. . . . — Map (db m27201) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Brandon — Brandon Masonic Lodge No. 114, F. & A.M.1890-1990
"Freemasons" have helped build and lead America for over 200 years. The members of the Brandon Masonic Lodge, chartered Jan. 22, 1890, have done the same for their respective communities during the past 100 years. Originally named Hacienda Lodge No. . . . — Map (db m100984) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Brandon — Brandon School
During WWI, the original sandstone brick "Twin Towers" were built on land once belonging to the Brandon family. This school consolidated the area's one-room schoolhouses to better educate the young. The first principal, John T. Bushong, expanded . . . — Map (db m100982) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Brandon — LimonaFounded January 12, 1876
Lakewood Drive, part of old Seminole Indian trails, led to Fort Brooke and "Pease Creek". In 1876 Judge Joseph Gillette Knapp of Wis. settled and named Limona after citrus trees left by the Spanish. In 1877 the Elgin Watch Co. formed Limona Park . . . — Map (db m57213) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Lithia — Site of Alderman's FordFirst Crossing Point of the Alafia River in This Vicinity
In 1848, James Alderman settled near this site, a densely forested area, and cut down the steep banks of the Alafia River to make it easier for horses and wagons to ford it. The area became known as Alderman's Ford. As the land to the south of . . . — Map (db m111055) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Lutz — Old Lutz Elementary SchoolErected 1927
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior August 15, 1996 — Map (db m32216) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Plant City — Cow CavalryIn Memory — Co. B 1st Battalion       Fl. Special Cavalry C. S. A.
(Front face)1863 - 1865 Erected by Plant City Chapter #1931 United Daughters of the Confederacy November 17, 2007 By 1863 the Confederate Army was suffering severe food shortages. Capt. John T. Lesley was commissioned to recruit from . . . — Map (db m46292) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Plant City — Glover SchoolHillsborough County Historic Landmark — circa 1933
In 1866, freed slaves from East Hillsborough County founded the community of Bealsville - named for Alfred Beal, a member of one of the original families. Since the beginning of the community, education was important to its residents. Instruction . . . — Map (db m57221) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Plant City — 81000194 — Plant City High School
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m55287) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Plant City — 75000558 — Plant City Union Depot
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m51654) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Plant City — Site of Methodist Episcopal Church South1885-1902
Plant City's first church building was erected here by the Methodist congregation established at Ichepucksassa in 1850 by Rev. Samuel Knight. The congregation relocated from Shiloh to the new Town of Plant City where a church was erected under the . . . — Map (db m111090) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Plant City — Town of Plant CityIncorporated January 10, 1885
Area one square mile with the center three blocks west of this point. The town plat covered land originally owned by pioneer John G. Thomas; 55 acres platted for Judge Henry L. Mitchell and 65 acres platted for Simon Peter Thomas, son of the . . . — Map (db m51324) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Ruskin — De Soto TrailStaking Their Claim — 1539-1540
( Left panel ) You are standing along the historic route of the conquistador Hernando de Soto and his expedition through the Florida Native American territories in his quest for gold and glory …[ Map ] "The Florida Expedition" . . . — Map (db m44843) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Ruskin — F-246 — Ruskin College President's Home
Ruskin College opened in 1910 as a coeducational industrial and liberal arts college. It was located on part of a large tract of land purchased by Dr. George McA. Miller beginning in 1907 for the purpose of establishing a cooperative college and a . . . — Map (db m44841) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — “Cuba”The Official Newspaper of the Cuban Revolutionary Party — 1887 – 1898
 On this site was published the historic newspaper “Cuba,” dedicated to the cause of Cuban Independence. “Cuba” was the successor of “El Crítico De Ybor City.” Its editor was Ramon Rivero y Rivero, a great . . . — Map (db m31940) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — 1851 † 1891
Site of Tampa's First Church Building and first frame ecclesiastical House of Worship erected in the area of all South Florida. Built by the Methodist congregation under the superintendency of Rev. L. G. Lesley. General T.J. "Stonewall" . . . — Map (db m27199) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — 29 Sea Captains and Mariners
Dedicated to the memory of the 29 Sea Captains and Mariners whose vision and courage chartered a course of development for Tampa Bay — Map (db m26967) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — 400th Anniversary of the Landing of Panfilo de Narvaez
Commemorating the 400th anniversary of the landing of Panfilo de Narvaez, intreped [sic] Spanish Explorer and his four hundred brave companions The first white men to set foot upon the shores of Tampa Bay April 15, 1528. Erected April . . . — Map (db m33796) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Academy of The Holy Names
On Sept. 14, 1896, Sisters of the Holy Names established The Academy of The Holy Names by order of Bishop John Moore. Sisters Mary Emiline and Mary Hubert were the first teachers in this brick school.     On Nov. 29, 1896, Fr. William Tyrrell, . . . — Map (db m47916) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Alfred Reuben Swann(1843-1926)
  Alfred Reuben Swann was born and raised in Tennessee. After wintering in Tampa, he foresaw a bright future for the community. In 1905, he began living in Tampa much of the year and became a major figure in the city's residential and commercial . . . — Map (db m69882) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Alvar Nunez Cabeza de VacaConquistador..........,
   Treasurer of the ill-fated Panfilo de Narvez expedition, was first to write of the discovery of Tampa Bay, April 17, 1528, calling it "Bahia de la Cruz, the best harbor in the world."    After the disastrous trek through Florida the remaining . . . — Map (db m37665) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Angus R. GossMemorial Swimming Pool — 1962
In memory of Angus R. Goss Native Tampan, killed in action during World War II at New Georgia Islands on July 20, 1943 while serving in the 1st Marine Raider Division Received the Navy Cross and was cited for the Congressional . . . — Map (db m43836) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Anthony P. "Tony" Pizzo1912 - 1994
Beloved Civic Leader, Historian, Businessman and Author whose infectious enthusiasm inspired the preservation of Local History — Map (db m8849) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Anthony P. Pizzo(1912-1994)
Civic leader and historian, Tony Pizzo, was born in the family home at this location on September 22, 1912. Tony's pride in his community inspired him to research and document history that would have been lost without his efforts. His enthusiasm . . . — Map (db m33055) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Antonio Maceo GrajalesLugarteniente General, Ejercito Libertador de Cuba — Lieutenant General, Cuban Liberation Army
Born in Santiago de Cuba 14 June 1845. Rose from Private to Major General during the Ten-years War of Independence 1868-78. During the final War of Independence, he led the 1896 invasion of Cuba from Oriente across 750 miles of continual combat. . . . — Map (db m32198) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Attempt On The Life Of Jose Marti1893
In a small isolated cottage located in this vicinity, an attempt to poison Jose Marti, the leader of the Cuban Insurrection of 1895, was made by two Spanish agents. Marti's intuition saved his life. The traitors repented and Marti forgave . . . — Map (db m14545) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — B.F. Marcos Building
This structure has been recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey of the United States Department of the Interior for its Archives at the Library of Congress — Map (db m30453) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Babe's Longest Homer
At Tampa's Plant Field on April 4, 1919, "Babe" Ruth, playing for the Boston Red Sox against the N.Y. Giants, smacked a 587- foot home run that set a record in a pre-season game. 4,300 screaming fans saw the feat. Famed Evangelist Billy . . . — Map (db m46601) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Battlefield
Site of Only Land Engagement at Tampa between Confederate & Union Forces, Oct. 17, 1863 A Federal detachment of 124 men from U. S. gunboat Tahoma & Steamer Adela after firing 2 blockade-runners moored upriver fell back under Confederate assault . . . — Map (db m44740) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Billy Graham Began Here
From the sidewalk in this Franklin St. neighborhood, the Rev. Dr. Billy Graham forty years ago launched his worldwide Christian evangelistic crusade, exhorting derelicts, drunks and "Skid Row" bums. Since then he has preached to more people than any . . . — Map (db m103245) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Bruce B. Downs BoulevardThe Board of County Commissioners County of Hillsborough — Resolution
  WHEREAS, the Public Works Administration of Bruce B. Downs began a new era of commitment and progress in the public works programs of Hillsborough County; and,       WHEREAS, during his tenure as Deputy County Administrator for every area of his . . . — Map (db m35856) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — C. Cecilia MorseJune 3, 1838 - June 13, 1926 — Foundress of St. Anthony of Padua Catholic School in San Antonio, Florida
In 1883, as a young widow with 6 children, she moved to the Catholic colony of San Antonio, FL in Pasco County only to discover that there was no school. Telling the colony's founder "The minds of the children now here won't wait" she began teaching . . . — Map (db m37795) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Capt. James McKay, I (1808 - 1876)
On this site, after the devasting hurricane of 1848, McKay, a native of Scotland, built his first permanent home of finished lumber from Mobile, Ala. Here, with his wife Matilda,they raised their children. McKay was a dominant factor in the . . . — Map (db m27265) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Capt. Nathaniel Wyche HunterPioneer Environmentalist
This marker honors Capt. Nathaniel Wyche Hunter, a U.S. Army Officer who was stationed at Fort Brook during the 1830's and believed to be Tampa's first environmentalist. Hunter recognized the natural beauty of the land around him and admonished . . . — Map (db m101643) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Central Avenue
From the late 19th century until the mid 1970s, Central Avenue was the principal business and entertainment district of Tampa's African American community. In 1974, Urban Redevelopment razed all but a few of the buildings and converted the area . . . — Map (db m94179) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-383 — Centro Español de Tampa
Chartered on September 7, 1891, El Centro Español was the first Latin club organized in Ybor City. As a mutual aid society, it provided early Spanish immigrants with a framework by which they maintained their identity and culture while . . . — Map (db m31711) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — 74000632 — Centro Español de West Tampa
Centro Español de West Tampa has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1974 — Map (db m47463) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Charles Lafayette Knight"Charley" — May 31, 1928 - March 25, 1996
"Knight's Point" is dedicated in memory of Charley Knight, a native Tampan, well-known property appraiser and prominent collector of Native-American artifacts. Knight always had a keen interest in and fond feelings for the 177-acre tract of . . . — Map (db m36131) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Columbia RestaurantFounded 1905
The Columbia is the oldest and largest Spanish restaurant in the United States. It was opened as a cafe for cigarmakers by Casimiro Hernandez, Sr. When he died in 1930 his son Casimiro Hernandez, Jr. then brought it to its present glory. The . . . — Map (db m31702) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Confederate States Soldiers and Sailors(Tampa)
. . . — Map (db m73772) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Congregation Rodeph Sholom
Congregation Rodeph Sholom, Tampa's oldest Conservative congregation, was founded in 1903, at the home of J. L. Mairson, with 20 families. The goal was to serve the Jewish community by providing a religious, educational and social gathering place in . . . — Map (db m69949) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Congregation Schaari Zedek
History records that the first Jewish services in Tampa were conducted in 1894 by Mr. M. Henry Cohen, Sr., in the old Masonic Temple at the corner of Franklin and Washington Streets. On October 14, 1894, 31 men and women met at Mr. Cohen's home to . . . — Map (db m70180) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Convent of the Holy NamesAcademy of the Holy Names — Oldest School In Tampa
At midnight, July 18, 1881, two sisters, Marie Augustin, Marie Maurice of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, arrived in Tampa from Key West to establish a Catholic school. “They came empty handed,” the first money was raised from the . . . — Map (db m38628) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Courthouse Square
For 104 years this block was the official site of executive and judicial government for Hillsborough County, Florida. The first courthouse, a log building burned by Seminole Indians in 1836, possibly stood here. Subsequent ones were built on this . . . — Map (db m15730) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Cradle of Cuban Liberty
On this corner was located El Liceo Cubano, a tobacco stripping house converted into a Cuban social center in 1886. This is the cradle of Cuban independence. Here, on Nov. 26-27, 1891, Jose Marti delivered the two speeches, "Con Todos y Para . . . — Map (db m15157) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Cueto Boarding House
In 2003, this historic Ybor City boarding house was relocated from 1822 E. 14th Avenue and rehabilitated as part of a project by the Federal Highway Administration and the Florida Department of Transportation incooperation [sic] with the City . . . — Map (db m44029) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — De Soto
1539 1926 [ DAR Emblem ] This Tablet Erected By De Soto Chapter D.A.R. Marks the tree under which tradition say's De Soto Parleyed with the Indians — Map (db m20789) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Dobyville
Dobyville, named for long-time resident Richard Cornelius Doby, was also known as West Hyde Park. By the 1920's, Dobyville was one of Tampa's primary African-American neighborhoods. The approximate historic boundaries went from Gray Street on the . . . — Map (db m34258) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Dominican Proto-Martyrs of AmericaA.D. 1549   †   A.D. 1965
. . . — Map (db m33810) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-386 — El Centro Asturiano de Tampa
Spanish immigrants from the province of Asturias formed El Centro Asturiano de Tampa in 1902 as a mutual aid society to meet the recreational, social, educational, and medical needs of its members. In an effort to broaden the concept of . . . — Map (db m32185) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — El Chino — Pajarito Restaurant
Cuban exiles in the 1890's met to plot for independence at a restaurant operated on this site by the patriot Antonio Menendez, a Chinese from Cuba. Many revolutionaries on their way to join the Mambi Army in Cuba, were given warm welcome and free . . . — Map (db m15295) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-382 — El Circulo Cubano(Cuban Club)
Late 19th and early 20th century Cuban immigration to the United States was impressive for the craft talents brought to the country. Along with their Spanish counterparts, skilled Cuban cigarmakers made Tampa's hand-rolled cigars world-famous. As . . . — Map (db m31710) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — 74000633 — Federal BuildingU.S. Courthouse — Downtown Postal Station, Tampa, Florida
Entered on the National Register of Historic Places June 7, 1974 Federal Building U.S. Courthouse Downtown Postal Station Tampa, Florida James Knox Taylor Architect      1902 This property significantly contributes to the . . . — Map (db m33943) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — First Lt. Baldomero LopezTampa Native — Awarded Congressional Medal Of Honor
During the Inchon invasion in Korea, September 15, 1950, Marine 1st Lieutenant Lopez's platoon was engaging the enemy. Exposing himself to hostile fire he attempted to hurl a grenade into the pillbox whose fire was pinning them down. Wounded, he . . . — Map (db m31703) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — First United Methodist ChurchTampa, Florida
On July 26, 1846, the first Methodist church in Tampa was organized with seventeen founding members. They worshipped in a primitive structure built of driftwood from nearby Fort Brooke. They called it the “Church-by-the-Sea”. This . . . — Map (db m43141) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Florida Sentinel Bulletin
In December, 1945, C. Blythe Andrews re-opened the doors of the Florida Sentinel newspaper at 1511 Central Avenue. The original Florida Sentinel was founded in 1919, in Jacksonville, Florida by Mr. Andrews' father, General William W. Andrews. The . . . — Map (db m20052) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Fort Brooke Battery
Replica Naval Mounts Manufactured for The Friends of Plant Park The Citizens of Tampa, Hillsborough County and The University of Tampa Dedicated to The original inhabitants, soldiers, sailors and settlers who with blood sweat and . . . — Map (db m20000) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Fort Brooke Cemetery
During the Second Seminole War (1835-42) the U.S. Army established a cemetery at this site for soldiers, civilian employees, and Indians. In 1883, about 20 soldiers were removed to Barrancas National Cemetery, Pensacola. In time the grave sites . . . — Map (db m44689) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Fort Brooke Mass GraveTampa
To the 102 unknown soldiers and settlers reburied here from the old U.S. Army cemetery at Fort Brooke, Mar. 24, 1981. Rest in eternal peace. Through the efforts of the city of Tampa and Tampa Historical Society. — Map (db m27497) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-39 — Founding of the Cigar Industry in Tampa
In 1886 two cigar factories were completed at Tampa signaling the founding of the industry in the area. Pioneer manufacturer was Vincente Martinez Ybor, a native of Spain, who had made cigars at Havana and Key West. Ybor's move to Tampa was . . . — Map (db m31704) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Gary
  The name Gary was officially recognized with the establishment of the Gary post office in 1898. The official plat of "Gary-Town" was recorded in May 1903. The Gary neighborhood included both Gary-Town and Spanish Park, located to its east. The . . . — Map (db m33926) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Gen. Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.
In 1848 a Board of Engineers with Lt. Col. Robert E. Lee, USA as recording officer visited Fort Brooke (Tampa). Aboard the Schooner Phenix they made a survey of Tampa Bay; requested government reservation of the bay keys and erection of defense . . . — Map (db m61928) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — George Guida1914 - 1986 — "Mr. West Tampa"
The grateful citizenry of Tampa dedicated this roadway to the memory of George Guida for his commitment to improving the quality of life for all. A business and civic leader, banker and builder of many of our public service buildings, such as Jesuit . . . — Map (db m49668) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — George Washington Junior High School
The George Washington Junior High School was formerly located on this site. Along with the local Woodrow Wilson Junior High School, located in the Hyde Park neighborhood, the George Washington Junior High School was among the first junior high . . . — Map (db m32624) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-384 — German-American Club
Organized in 1901, the German-American Club was one of the few non-latin ethnic clubs in Tampa. Club members laid the cornerstone for a building on the northeast corner of Nebraska Avenue and 11th Avenue on February 23, 1908, followed by a . . . — Map (db m32372) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Gordon Keller
Gordon Keller was a beloved citizen of Tampa -- City official, merchant, civic leader, friend -- from 1883 until his death, July 10, 1909. A grief-stricken community subscribed funds to build "a permanent monument" to him, and Gordon Keller Memorial . . . — Map (db m69977) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Great 1909 Auto Race
From this point in front of The Tampa Daily Times Building on Nov. 23 1909, was started the Tampa-to-Jacksonville "endurance run" to promote good roads for Florida. Sixteen vehicles, plus the "confetti" pathfinding car and a press car, made . . . — Map (db m68398) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church
  New Salem Primitive Baptist Church came into existence from its "mother church," Mt. Moriah Primitive Baptist Church in Tampa. Rev. G.S. Crawford, from east Florida, organized New Salem in 1905, which first held services in a one-room building on . . . — Map (db m32838) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hillsborough County High School
The oldest high school building standing today in Hillsborough County is located at 2704 Highland Avenue in Tampa. It was designed by Wilson Potter of New York. The cornerstone reads HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL, but when it opened on October 12, . . . — Map (db m32380) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hillsborough County Historical Cemetery For All People5901 North 22nd Street
Florida's constitution requires the following: "Counties shall provide for inhabitants who by reason of age, infirmity or misfortune may have claims upon the aid and sympathy of society." Hence, in 1905, the Hillsborough County Board of County . . . — Map (db m101642) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hillsborough County's Confederate MonumentMemoria In Aeterna — (In Eternal Remembrance)
(West face) 1861 To the Honor and Courage of the patriots of the Confederate States of America, This monument is dedicated by Tampa Chapter, No.113, U. D. C., and the citizens of Tampa. January 1911. Memoria . . . — Map (db m26385) WM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hillsborough LodgeNumber 25 F. & A. M.
Instituted January 24, 1850 The First Masonic Lodge in Tampa — Map (db m32866) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hillsborough River Ferry— 1846~1888 —
At the nearby junction of Jackson Street and the Hillsborough River was the east bank docking site of the Tampa Ferry, the only means of crossing the river in pioneer days. The ferry was an open deck, flat barge, hand pulled by means of a steel . . . — Map (db m33800) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Historic Emilio Pons Cigar Factory
Emilio Pons, a pioneer Tampa cigar manufacturer, and an outstanding public servant, established the first cigar factory of local origin on this site in 1887. Here on October 12, 1894, Jose Marti, the Cuban liberator, delivered his last . . . — Map (db m32828) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Historic Fire Station No. 4
In 1897, the first city-owned fire station in Ybor City was established on this site, then the heart of the Italian section. It was a two- story frame building with a bell tower. Equipped with a hose - wagon and a hook and ladder truck, it also . . . — Map (db m8778) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Historic Fort King Trail
The Old Military Road connecting Ft. Brooke (Tampa) and Ft. King (Ocala) ran through this vicinity. On Dec. 23, 1835, Maj. Francis L. Dade set out over the Trail with a detachment of 109 soldiers to reinforce the small garrison of Ft. King. On . . . — Map (db m8980) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Historic Harlem Academy/School #2
The historic Harlem Academy, known as "The Mother of African- American Schools," was the first public school erected for African- American children in Tampa. The first classes were held in 1868 in the Hillsborough County Courthouse. In the . . . — Map (db m27707) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — History in the AirA Look at the Military Aircraft of MacDill
Since the first wave of B-18 Super Heavy Bombers arrived at MacDill in 1940, the base has seen a remarkable variety of America's finest military aircraft. MacDill's first mission included transitional training on the B-17 Flying Fortress. After . . . — Map (db m34132) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hotel De La Havana1887 1891
During the fabulous pioneer days of Ybor City the famed Hotel De La Havana was located on this corner. The three story frame structure was the first hotel erected in the Latin Quarter. Its proprietors were Jose Rubin and Jacinto Olavarria. The . . . — Map (db m8775) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hugh C. Macfarlane1851-1935 — Founder of West Tampa
    His was a life of achievements – a great lawyer, pioneer land developer, public servant and a Tampa booster. Had the honor of serving as State's Attorney, Tampa City Attorney, Port Commissioner, and Supt. of Public Works. In 1892, . . . — Map (db m49593) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — 77000404 — Hutchinson House
This property has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m33848) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hyde Park's Bungalow Terrace
Bungalow Terrace was developed by Alfred Swann and Eugene Holtsinger on what was Morrison Grove in 1913. The Bungalow Style home was modeled after the bungalows in California because of the low cost, adaptability, craftsmanship and low maintenance. . . . — Map (db m103198) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-430 — Il Cimitero Dell’Unione Italiana(Italian Club Cemetery)
L’Unione Italiana, founded in 1894 in Ybor City, institutionalized the Italian funeral in Tampa when in 1896 it purchased this property from the prominent African-American Armwood family and dedicated it as a cemetery. The first Italians were buried . . . — Map (db m43618) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — In the Beginning...Uncle Sam Chooses Tampa for Base in 1939
On July 14, 1939, the Tampa Morning Tribune announced the war department's decision to build the "Southeast Air Base" in Tampa. The land selected was a 6000 acre marshy area known as Catfish Point. As part of President Roosevelt's New Deal Program, . . . — Map (db m34118) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Italian Club Life In Tampa
Tampa's Italians have supported a flourishing club life almost from their first arrival in the 1880's. L'Unione Italiana, the first mutual aid society, was organized in 1894. Initially located directly across the street, the club stood . . . — Map (db m8771) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Jessamine Flowers Link1870-1973
In 1913, Jessamine Link established Magnolia Troop One, the second Girl Scout Troop in the United States. This was just one year after Juliette Gordon Low organized the country's first Girl Scout troop in Savannah, Georgia in 1912. What is now Hyde . . . — Map (db m101550) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — John Fitzgerald Kennedy
. . . — Map (db m32542) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — John T. Lesley Home
At this site, 407 East Street, was the home of John Thomas Lesley, built in 1897. Pioneer settler, soldier,statesman and entrepreneur, Lesley (1835 - 1913) was one of Tampa's greatest early leaders/ A native of Madison County, Florida, he came in . . . — Map (db m54132) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Jose GasparillaAn 18th Century West Indiaman
  This vessel named for Jose Gaspar a gentleman Lieutenant of the Royal Spanish Navy, who achieved great fame as a pirate headquartered on Florida's Gulf Coast.       As leader of a mutinous uprising, Lt. Gaspar seized command of the Spanish . . . — Map (db m34860) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Jose MartiApostle of Cuban Freedom — Apostol de Cuba
Born in Havana, Cuba, on January 28, 1853. Patriot, writer, poet, lawyer, and orator. A lover of liberty and justice, his ideas and personal example were a universal inspiration for the world as well as for the Cuban people. He perished on . . . — Map (db m32132) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — José Martí
Desde esta escalinata En el año 1893 José Martí Apóstol de la Libertad de Cuba Con elocuentes palabras pidió a los tabaqueros Cubanos emigrados que le ayudasen a conquistar la independencia de su país, aportando hombres, . . . — Map (db m14431) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Kate Jackson Recreation Center
Built on the Former Homesite of Kate Veronica Jackson Born January 13, 1857 - Died December 11, 1940 Kate Jackson deeded this property to Sacred Heart Catholic Church which later sold it to the city. The recreation center was named for her . . . — Map (db m70378) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Kennedy
Pioneer family listed in Tampa Blue Book settling in 1840. Founded 1st Indian trading post. Trusted friend of Chief Billy Bowlegs. Kennedys claim first recorded deed in county. — Map (db m35785) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — L’Unione ItalianaThe Italian Club
Tampa's first Italian–American society was organized April 4, 1894. During its early years the club assisted members through cultural enrichment, providing education, health care and financial help to the families of deceased . . . — Map (db m8769) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — La Casa de Pedroso1893
  Paulina Pedroso was one of the great women patriots of Cuba. After an attempt on the life of Jose Marti, the Pedroso House became his refuge.   Whenever Marti stayed here the flag of the budding Republic of Cuba fluttered outside. Evenings, the . . . — Map (db m31931) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — La Casa de Pedroso1893
Paulina Pedroso fue insigne patriota Cubana. Tras el atentado contra Jose Marti, la Casa Pedroso se hizo refugio del Apostol. Siempre que aqui se hospedara Marti desplegabase en la fachada la bandera de la naciente Republica Cubana. De noche . . . — Map (db m31935) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — La Joven Francesa Bakery
Francisco Ferlita, a native of Santo Stefano, Sicily, established a bakery on this site in 1896. Bread sold for three cents and five cents, and often on credit. In 1922 the wooden structure was destroyed by fire, and a yellow brick building was . . . — Map (db m8703) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — La Liga Patriotica de InstruccionEst. 1889 — (The Patriot Instruction League)
On this corner was located the famous night school which was established for the welfare of the Cuban emigres of the flourishing cigar center. Classes were conducted by Don Jose Guadalupe Rivero. To these compatriots who worked with tabacco . . . — Map (db m31709) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Lt. Col. Frank S. Adamo, M.D.Bataan's Medical Hero
This distinguished native Tampan served with courage, honor and personal sacrifice as an army surgeon during WWII. He was captured and made a prisoner of war when the Japanese overran the Philippines. Afflicted with Beri-Beri and other diseases he . . . — Map (db m74788) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — MacDill: 1950 to 2000The Base Maneuvers Through the Years
3 F-80 Shooting Stars Fly to Korea In February 1951, MacDill's 307th deployed to Okinawa for the Korean conflict. It was one of the first units to move its fighting forces overseas. MacDill During Vietnam During the Vietnam conflict, . . . — Map (db m34149) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Mayor Nick C. NuccioA Man Of Character
Born in Tampa on October 24, 1901, the son of Sicilian immigrants, Vincenzo and Rosalia Nuccio. Mayor Nick C. Nuccio was born on Eighth Avenue, where he lived much of his life. He passionately believed in conducting his personal and professional . . . — Map (db m8911) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Memoria In Aeterna, 1911Hillsborough County's Confederate Monument
In 1910, the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Tampa Chapter No. 113, began to raise funds for a monument to honor the soldiers and sailors of the Confederate States of America, The Hillsborough County Commission granted the chapter, . . . — Map (db m32979) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Memorial Highway"Road of remembrance to those who gave their lives for liberty in the World War, 1917-18"
This monument, originally in Oldsmar, was one of two dedicated on January 2, 1921 to mark the beginning and end of the Nation's first "Road to Remembrance" constructed after World War One. They memorialized the 105 men and one woman from . . . — Map (db m101644) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Middleton Senior High School
In 1934 Middleton Senior High School, named for George S. Middleton, opened on 24th and Chelsea Streets in East Tampa as the first high school for African Americans in Hillsborough County. Previously, Booker T. Washington School had accommodated . . . — Map (db m33695) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Morgan Cigar FactoryA Symbol of Tampa's Romantic Cigar Industry
In 1907 William T. Morgan erected this three story cigar factory and soon his Juan De Fuca label attained wide acceptance throughout the country. By 1910, the company had to move to larger quarters to accommodate 1,000 workers.      After Morgan . . . — Map (db m47247) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Most Holy Name1920-1975
The Jesuits organized Most Holy Name parish in 1920 to serve Ybor City's Italian community. On Christmas 1922, Father Vicente Dente celebrated the first mass at Most Holy Name Church, located in the 2300 block, between 7th and 8th Avenues. The . . . — Map (db m56303) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Oaklawn Cemetery
This hallowed ground set aside as a town burial site in 1850 "for whites & slaves alike" is the resting place for many of Tampa's founding fathers, mayors, and county officers. A governor of Florida, two Supreme Court Judges, framers of all . . . — Map (db m27604) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Officers Quarters Fort BrookeBrigadier General Zachary Taylor — (12th President of the United States)
. . . — Map (db m103266) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure1982
On this site was located the first cemetery for Fort Brooke, a U.S. military post dating from 1824 to 1882. Seminole Indians, soldiers and civilian settlers buried here were excavated by archaeologists in 1980 prior to construction of the parking . . . — Map (db m44377) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Old Hyde Park
Hyde Park began on February 13, 1886 when O.H. Platt of Hyde Park, Ill., subdivided 20 acres and named it after his hometown. By 1910 Hyde Park with its Georgian and Mediterranean estates had become the most desirable and glamorous residential . . . — Map (db m75251) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-596 — Old People's Home
Opened in 1924, The Old People's Home was the largest publicly supported home for the elderly in Tampa and represented a major civic achievement. An all-woman Board of Managers founded the Home and the original by-laws stated that men could serve . . . — Map (db m32115) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Old SchoolhousePlaced on the National Register of Historic Places 1975
Built circa 1855 by Gen. Jesse Carter for his daughter Josephine. He employed Mrs. Louisa Porter as teacher. The first class included Josephine Carter, Janie Givens, Mary Lesley, Mary Kelly, Eugenia Spencer, Lizzie Spencer and Hayden Porter. Jessie . . . — Map (db m33902) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial I
(Raised section) A grateful county honors the memory of these brave individuals for their unquestioned valor and sacrifice in defense of freedom and liberty during combat in Operation Iraqi Freedom Dedicated 2003 Hillsborough County Board . . . — Map (db m32949) WM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial II
(Raised section) A grateful county honors the memory of these brave individuals for their unquestioned valor and sacrifice in defense of freedom and liberty during combat in Operation Iraqi Freedom Dedicated 2003 Hillsborough County Board of . . . — Map (db m32975) WM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Orange Grove Hotel
Erected in 1859, as a residence, by Capt. William Brinton Hooker, on the northwest corner of Madison and East Streets. A Georgia native, he moved to Florida in 1830 and signed its first Constitution in 1839. In 1843 Hooker settled in Hillsborough . . . — Map (db m28332) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Orestes Ferrara
Cuban patriots used this corner for street meetings in 1895. Among the speakers was Orestes Ferrara, young Italian revolutionary. In his Garibaldi red shirt, Ferrara stirred the Cuban exiles to fighting frenzy against Spanish oppression. The . . . — Map (db m8939) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Ossuarium Memoriale1949
L'Unione Italiana Left side:Dedicates this War Memorial to honor and perpetuate the memory of those members who gave their life for their country Paul P. Longo President Right side:Dedica questo Memoriale per onorare e perpetuare . . . — Map (db m44048) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Our Lady of Perpetual HelpEstablished 1890
Situated on land purchased from Vincente Martinez-Ybor with a donation from Henry Flagler, Father Philippe de Carriere, S.J. purchased this land for the local diocese to minister to the influx of Spanish speaking immigrants. In September 1890 a . . . — Map (db m43997) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Palonis Park
This park is dedicated in memory of Lt. Col. Anthony J. Palonis, Jr., U.S.M.C., who gallantly served both Country and Corps in World War II, The Korean War, and Vietnam. Awarded the Silver Star, and Bronze Star for Valor. Lt. Col. Palonis was . . . — Map (db m55280) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-877 — Perry Harvey, Sr., Park Skateboard Bowl
Under Mayor William Poe's direction, the Perry Harvey, Sr., Park Skateboard Bowl opened in 1979 as part of a recreational park for the Central Park Village community. As Florida's first municipal ride-at-your-own-risk skateboard facility, it offered . . . — Map (db m103246) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Pioneer Priests' Graves
Here lie the remains of five pioneer priests, the oldest known priests' graves on the West Coast of Florida. While little is known of Fr. Bayard who died in 1882, the Polish born Fr. Emil Stenzel was a priest of the Archdiocese of New York who . . . — Map (db m37548) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Plant Field
The area encompassing The University of Tampa's baseball, track, and soccer facilities was known as Plant Field from early in the 20th century until the mid - 1970s. Plant Field, named for railroad and hotel magnate Henry B. Plant, served as . . . — Map (db m46605) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Roberts City
In 1909, cigar manufacturer J.W. Roberts and Sons Company moved into an abandoned cigar factory on Garcia Avenue and Green Street. The neighborhood, bordered on the north and east by the Hillsborough River, on the south by Cass Street, and on the . . . — Map (db m93416) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Roland M. ManteigaJanuary 16, 1920 – September 25, 1998
Roland Manteiga chronicled events and politics that shaped Tampa and Ybor city and championed human rights for more than 40 years through his weekly column “As we heard it.” From his private table at La Tropicana Restaurant, where he . . . — Map (db m49927) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Roosevelt Elementary School
Theodore Roosevelt was the Assistant Secretary of the Navy when the battleship U.S.S. Maine was sunk in Havana Harbor. After the United States declared war on Spain in April 1898, initiating the Spanish American War, Roosevelt resigned his . . . — Map (db m111049) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Rough Rider Encampment
At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War, this area was the campsite of the 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry Regiment commanded by Colonel Leonard Wood (Medal of Honor recipient) and later Lieutenant Colonel Theodore Roosevelt. Known as . . . — Map (db m101551) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Rough Riders
(Front face) 1 [Crossed Sabres Emblem] 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment Rough Riders Park Dedicated March 1, 2003 Ybor City, Tampa, Florida (Top Plaque) "You Triumphed Over Obstacles Which Would . . . — Map (db m32795) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Rough Riders Encampment ~June 1898
At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War, this area, a sand flat without a tree, but surrounded by an extensive forest, was the camp site of Theodore Roosevelt's Rough Riders, the most unusual regiment in the history of the U. S. Army. The Rough . . . — Map (db m47551) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Royal Yacht Britannia
Here docked the Royal Yacht Britannia for the official visit to Harbour Island by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh May 12, 1991 — Map (db m33806) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Sacred Heart ChurchEstablished 1860 — Oldest Catholic Church on Florida's West Coast
In 1859 a small wood framed church was erected on this spot. The following year it was blessed and named St. Louis Church to honor Fr. Luis de Cancer, a Dominican missionary who was martyred on the shores of Tampa Bay in 1549. When the yellow fever . . . — Map (db m37325) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Sgt. Nick MatassiniMarch 21, 1911 • December 7, 1944 — He gave his all for his country
(Left face:) War Dept. Records: "Sgt. Nick Matassini Co. H. 357 Inf. was instantly killed in action Dec. 7, 1944 while leading his machine gun squad on German positions when his regiment established a bridgehead east bank of . . . — Map (db m44196) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Site of First Ybor City Railroad Station1887
The station of the Plant System was located here in the early days of this budding tobacco center. During the struggle for Cuban Independence Ybor City became a nest of insurgents. Through this station passed conspirators, spies, and many notable . . . — Map (db m43551) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Site of Fort Brooke
On this site Fort Brooke was established in 1824 — Map (db m111053) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Site of Mirabella Fish Company1898-1985Historic Marker
. . . — Map (db m33884) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-387 — Sociedad La Union Marti~Maceo
When local segration forced the withdrawal of Afro-Cubans from El Club Nacional Cubano, an organization of black and white Cubans involved in Cuban independence, Afro-Cuban cigarmakers founded a society in 1900 as Los Libres Pensadores de Marti . . . — Map (db m31708) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Spanishtown Creek
At this site on a small stream was located the first settlement of Tampa Bay. Its inhabitants were Spanish-Cuban fishermen and straw hat makers. It is believed they settled here toward the end of the eighteenth century, during Spain's second . . . — Map (db m69853) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church was established in Tampa in 1871. Its first service was held in the hospital building at Fort Brooke. A wooden church was erected in 1883 on the city block bounded by Marion, Twiggs, Morgan, and Madison Streets, which . . . — Map (db m26906) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — St. Benedict the Moor School
Located on this site was the former St. Benedict the Moor School, a Catholic school for black children that was one of the most important buildings associated with black history in Tampa. The property was purchased for $600 on March 15, 1900. The . . . — Map (db m37794) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — St. Peter Claver Catholic School
In 1893, the Jesuit Fathers at Sacred Heart Church established a school on Morgan Street. St. Peter Claver Catholic School, named for the Spanish Jesuit missionary priest, was founded for the children of the African American community. On February . . . — Map (db m101005) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-42 — Tampa as Port of Embarkation for Spanish American War
From April to June, 1898, Tampa served as port of embarkation for U.S. troops on their way to Cuba. Some 30,000 troops arrived in Tampa and 16,000 embarked from Port Tampa on June 7. The Tampa Bay Hotel was headquarters for the force's leaders . . . — Map (db m13635) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Bay and MacDillGood Neighbors for Over 60 Years!
1950's SCCOA Races During the 1950s, the Sports Car Club of America held regular car races at MacDill and many other Air Force bases throughout the country. 1990's Air Shows Air shows at MacDill have brought out huge crowds to witness the . . . — Map (db m34154) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-31 — Tampa Bay Hotel
Henry B. Plant built this ornate Moorish structure at a cost of $3 million. Opened in 1891, it became the social and cultural center of early Tampa. During the Spanish American War it was headquarters for troops going to Cuba and housed such . . . — Map (db m20020) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Bay Hotel
On June 14, 1898, Lt. Col. Theodore Roosevelt and the First United States Volunteer Cavalry, known as the Rough Riders, embarked from Port Tampa for victory in the Spanish-American War. The Tampa Bay Hotel was used as headquarters for . . . — Map (db m20160) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Bay Hotel, 1891The University of Tampa, 1933
This former grand old resort hotel, a seat of culture and education, has been the proud symbol of Tampa since 1891. Erected by The University of Tampa Class of 1991, on the occasion of the centennial of the building, this marker is a . . . — Map (db m20063) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-850 — Tampa Confederate Salt Works
(side 1) Salt was an essential commodity during the Civil War because it was required for the preservation of meat and fish. When the Confederate states no longer had access to vital sources of salt in West Virginia and Louisiana, . . . — Map (db m103199) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Free Public Library
Built with a $50,000 grant from industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, the Tampa Free Public Library opened its doors in April 27, 1917, becoming the City of Tampa's first public library. This venture was the result of a sustained . . . — Map (db m110892) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Goes to WarU.S. Enters WWII and MacDill Readies the Air Attack
MacDill's First Base Commander • Col. Clarence L. Tinker took command on March 11, 1940 • First Native American to attain the rank of Major General • Killed in action in Pacific Theater during Battle for Midway in 1942 • Tinker AFB . . . — Map (db m34123) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Native AmericansBuried Remains
Here lie buried the remains of a small group of Native Americans who perished about 200 years ago. These remains were discovered in 1987 during the construction of the Tampa Convention Center. Let us honor the memory of these and . . . — Map (db m27496) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa POW/MIA
Throughout history we have answered our country's call to arms, for freedom, for justice, for self-determination of an ally, we have served, and sometimes paid in grim coin the price exacted, Through no fault of ours, somehow we . . . — Map (db m15120) WM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Salutes MacDill AFBA Look at Over 60 Years of Growth and Change
On January 14, 1941, Col. Clarence Tinker landed a twin-engined B-18 Bomber on the first MacDill Field runway and a new era for Tampa was born. Soon after, the U.S. would enter World War II and MacDill's pilot training would prove to be an important . . . — Map (db m34109) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — 78000945 — Tampa Theatre
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department Of The Interior — Map (db m15882) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-451 — Tampa Union Station
By 1902, the Seaboard Air Line (SAL) was formed and the Atlantic Coast Line (ACL) had taken over the rail system of Henry B. Plant. Tampa Union Station (TUS) built in 1912, was designed by architect J.F. Leitner in Italian Renaissance style, and . . . — Map (db m4653) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa's First Paved Sidewalk1888
Archibald Ross. A native of Scotland. A member of the City Council. "Tampa's popular baker and the poor man's friend." Paved the walk around his brick building on the southeast corner of Franklin and La Fayette Streets with Georgia marble. "The . . . — Map (db m15972) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa's Oldest Restaurant1890
Las Novedades was founded on this site when Ybor City was a tiny village. Its proprietor was Manuel (Canuto ) Menendez. The coffee shop was a favorite rendezvous for the pioneer cigarmakers of Sanchez y Haya Cigar Factory located across the . . . — Map (db m31705) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Technology • Power • DiversityMacDill's Mission and Its Aircraft Move Forward
Although the F-4 Phantom was used as a fighter jet in Vietnam, it was originally designed as an interceptor for defense of the fleet against air attack. The need for a jet designed as a fighter led to the introduction of the F-16. Between 1979 and . . . — Map (db m34140) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Teco Energy's Tampa Electric CompanyOrganized October 1899
In 1899, Colonel Peter O. Knight created Tampa Electric Company to serve the energy needs of a growing Tampa community. Some 28 employees served 1200 customers with electricity from the region's first power plant, one powered by the water of the . . . — Map (db m15750) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Andres Diaz Building
In 1908 John Drew built this cigar factory for Andres Diaz and company of New York. One of the most modern of its day, it produced fine Havana cigars under the labels Terreno, Flor de A. Diaz and La Flor de Scott. West Tampa was . . . — Map (db m47001) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Bayshore Boulevard
In 1907, Alfred Swann and Eugene Holtsinger constructed the original section of seawall and roadway extending from Swann Avenue to Rome Avenue. This initial section, which was called Bayshore Drive, served Suburb Beautiful, the first residential . . . — Map (db m44647) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Beginning of the Cigar Industry in West Tampa
A cigar factory built on this site in June 1892 by Hugh C. Macfarlane brought the first industry to the community of West Tampa. First operated by A. Del Pino and Company, it failed financially. In 1894 the O'Halloran Cigar Company occupied the . . . — Map (db m46945) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Birth Of Ybor City
In Oct. 1885, John T. Lesley sold to V. Martinez Ybor & Co. the first tract of land on which was built the original Ybor City. Purchased for $9,000 cash, Tampa citizens underwrote $4,000 of this amount to the new owners in pledged land and notes. . . . — Map (db m8662) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Buffalo Soldiers in Tampa Heights1898
  African-Americans have served valiantly in all of America's wars. Although black soldiers fought and died in previous conflicts, they were not permitted to enlist as army regulars until after the Civil War. Organized into separate infantry and . . . — Map (db m32837) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Cherokee Club"El Pasaje" — 1888
The second brick building erected in Ybor City. The Cherokee Club was a popular rendezvous for the elite in the 1890's. Later became known as El Pasaje Restaurant. Its fame spread throughout the Americas. Jose Marti slept here on his first . . . — Map (db m15274) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Coming of the Italians
With the advent of the cigar industry in 1886, the Italians were attracted in mass to the environs of Ybor City. They found employment in cigar factories, the building of the Tampa Bay Hotel, the construction of railroads, and farming. . . . — Map (db m8780) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — TP 91 — The Krewe of the Knights of Sant' Yago
In 1175, Pope Alexander III, authorized "La Orden Real Sant' Yago" to protect the Pilgrims' Way to the shrine of Santiago (St. James), at Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain. Among the Spanish conquerors of America, Ponce De Leon, Panfile De . . . — Map (db m33058) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Pam Callahan Nature PreserveIn tribute to and in memory of Pamela A. Callahan 1947 - 1993
Pam loved all aspects of nature and had a special feeling for these wetlands. She spearheaded a community effort to prevent this site from becoming yet another dense development. She fought for almost 3 years and never gave up. Despite difficult . . . — Map (db m13647) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Rough Riders Passed By Here
On June 3, 1898, when Tampa was a cluster of old weather beaten houses floating on an ocean of sand, Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders disembarked from their seven train convoy in Ybor City, five miles from Tampa City Hall. They . . . — Map (db m15569) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Rough Riders Rode By Here1898
The intersection of Seventh Avenue and Twentysecond Street was a sandy cross-road connecting three army encampments in the Ybor City area during the Spanish-American War. At this cross-road was located a water-trough where the Rough Riders . . . — Map (db m33805) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Salvation ArmyTampa Corps
Opened at this location 1893 by Captain Wilbur Hall and Lieutenant Fred Weller — Map (db m14942) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Spanish Fort
In 1891 upon the completion of the Tampa Bay Hotel, Henry B. Plant recovered two Civil War cannon from across the Hillsborough River at the site of Old Fort Brooke. With his landscape architect Anton Fiehe, Mr. Plant placed the cannon over a . . . — Map (db m34084) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The War YearsWWII Makes the Army Air Forces and MacDill Grow Up Fast
As MacDill Field's first runways were being completed in 1941, only 8,500 men were enlisted in the Army Air Corps. But by the end of World War II in 1945, over 2.5 million Americans had joined the newly renamed Army Air Forces. The demands of war . . . — Map (db m34125) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The West Tampa Boys Club
On this site, the West Tampa Boys Club was organized around 1923 at the Rosa Valdez Settlement, a Methodist mission. From 1926 until 1944, the club was a major project of the Tampa Rotary Club. Under leadership of E.S. "Pep" Krantz and Charles . . . — Map (db m103247) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Timuquan Indian Mound
Near this site on the shore of the bay, once stood a large Timuquan Temple Mound dating before the time of Christ. It was 50 feet in height with a large level space on top where elaborately decorated temples and residences of Indian chiefs and . . . — Map (db m33865) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Today at MacDill AFBThe Partnership Continues into the 21st Century...
As the base and the City of Tampa progress through the 21st century, they face new challenges in the ever-changing global landscape. Today, over 50 different groups operate from the base and over 13,000 military and civilian personnel are assigned . . . — Map (db m34153) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — U.S.S. Sagamore
During the Civil War, the USS Sagamore on June 30 - July 1, 1862 bombarded Tampa. An 8 inch shell landed in the cemetery. — Map (db m26922) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Union Raiders Burn Tampa Blockade Runners
On October 18, 1863, a union task force of 85 soldiers found the “Scottish Chief” and “Kate Dale”, celebrated blockade runners, hidden in a remote anchorage in the Hillsborough River, near this site and set the ships afire. . . . — Map (db m33675) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — United Spanish War VeteransTampa's 203 mm Spanish American War Gun
( North face ) This spot was headquarters for Roosevelt Rough Riders. Wheeler Cavalry and the First Florida Troops 1898 ( Northeast face ) This war brought the blue of the cold bleak north and the gray of the . . . — Map (db m19979) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Vicente Martinez-YborPioneer of the Cigar Industry in Florida and Founder of Ybor City
Born in Valencia, Spain on September 7, 1818 and died in Ybor City on December 14, 1896 and buried at Oaklawn Cemetery in downtown Tampa. In 1853 at an early age the adventurous Spaniard left his native land and traveled to Cuba which was under . . . — Map (db m31706) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Victims of the Yellow Fever
In Memory of the Victims of the Yellow Fever Epidemics of 1853, 1858, 1867, 1871 and 1887 - 88 who are Buried in Oaklawn — Map (db m27313) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-599 — W.T. Edwards Hospital Complex
The W.T. Edwards Hospital, erected in 1952, was one of three tuberculosis (TB) hospitals built in Florida after World War II, and was funded by a state cigarette tax and federal monies. The other hospitals were in Tallahassee and Lantana. The . . . — Map (db m72356) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — War Memorial
(Front face, left side) Dedicated to the memory of those Americans who valiantly fought and died in the service of their country during the great World War April 6, 1917 - November 11, 1918 —•— It is hoped that the . . . — Map (db m30652) WM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — West Tampa Centennial1895 ~ 1995
Hugh C. MacFarlane, an immigrant from Scotland, purchased land in November 1886 and built a cigar factory that started production on June 15, 1892. MacFarlane and other developers offered free land and buildings, bringing in more cigar factories and . . . — Map (db m47520) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — William F. Poe Plaza
William F. Poe Plaza is named in honor of William F. Poe, Sr. in recognition of the many significant improvements he initiated in downtown Tampa during his five years of service as Mayor of Tampa from October 1974 to October 1979. For many years, . . . — Map (db m34188) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — World's First Scheduled Commercial Airline
Commemorating The world's first scheduled commercial airline near this site. St. Petersburg to Tampa Jan 1, 1914 Pilot of Benoist Airboat Tony Jannus P.E. Fansler, Owner Erected Feb 1956 by the Tampa Federation of Garden Club . . . — Map (db m34230) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Ybor Centennial Park
On June 12, 1986, the Tampa City Council passed Ordinance No. 9297-a naming this park: “Ybor Centennial Park By Which Name It Shall Hereafter And Forever Be Known.” Signed: Bob Martinez, Mayor; Sandra W. Freedman. . . . — Map (db m8750) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-388 — Ybor City Historic District
Vincente Martinez-Ybor, a wealthy Spanish cigar manufacturer from New York and Key West, began development of Ybor City in 1885. On April 12,1886, 500 Cuban cigarmakers boarded the sidewheeler Hutchinson in Key West and sailed for Tampa. . . . — Map (db m31712) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Ybor City's First Fire Station1888
The Mirta Hook and Ladder Volunteer Fire Station was established on this site. The station was named in honor of the youngest daughter of Don Vicente Martinez Ybor, founder of Ybor City. Capt. Frank Puglisi headed the fire fighters. Volunteer . . . — Map (db m31887) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Temple Terrace — Mrs. Bertha Honoré Palmer(1849-1918)
Bertha Palmer, born in Louisville, Kentucky, was a world-renowned socialite, art patron, successful businesswoman, early feminist, and philanthropist. She played a pivotal role in the creation of the City of Temple Terrace. In 1902, after the death . . . — Map (db m101008) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Temple Terrace — Reverend Billy Graham2011
Near here in 1937, world-recognized evangelist Billy Graham would paddle his canoe across the river to the little island. There he would practice his sermons on the creatures of the river great and small, from alligators to birds. Dr. Graham, one of . . . — Map (db m101007) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Temple Terrace — Spanish Exploration of Temple TerraceApril 25 & 26, 1757
On April 25, 1757, as they explored the Hillsborough River (Rio De San Julian Y Arriaga) and searched for pine trees for ship masts, Don Francisco Maria Celi, Captain of the Spanish Royal Fleet, and 19 armed members of the expedition camped in this . . . — Map (db m100983) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Temple Terrace — Temple Terraces Country Club Sutton Hall
(side 1) The Temple Terraces Country Club was built on the site of the 1910 hunting lodge of world renowned Chicago socialite and businesswoman Bertha Honore Plamer's 19,000 acre "Riverhills Ranch." It opened in 1922 as the centerpiece of . . . — Map (db m93417) HM

202 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2
Paid Advertisement