Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Leon County Florida Historical Markers

 
Old Fort Braden School image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, December 7, 2014
Old Fort Braden School
Florida (Leon County), Fort Braden — F-502 — Old Fort Braden School
Fort Braden was established in 1839 as a military outpost during the Second Seminole War (1835-1842). At the end of the war the fort was abandoned, but the small farming community that had developed nearby continued. A school in the Fort Braden area . . . — Map (db m79475) HM
Florida (Leon County), Talahassee — Florida Sri Chinmoy Peace State
The State of Florida today joins the Sri Chinmoy International Peace Blossoms, a family of over 800 landmarks in 50 nations dedicated to the universally cherished goal of peace. May we, the people of Florida, forever embrace this lofty goal in our . . . — Map (db m73044) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahasee — F-305 — Jacksonville, Pensacola and Mobile Railroad Company Freight Depot
The Jacksonville, Pensacola and Mobile Railroad Company Freight Depot, built in 1858, is one of the oldest railroad buildings in Florida and the oldest still used as a passenger rail station. The one-story depot was built when Tallahassee was the . . . — Map (db m79550) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-143 — Battle of Natural BridgeMarch 6, 1865
Site of decisive repulse of Federal forces by Confederate Militia in joint U.S. Army and Navy Operation to take St. Marks. The Army landing at lighthouse was prevented from getting to rear of St. Marks by Confederate opposition at Newport and . . . — Map (db m13721) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-170 — BellevueHome of the Princess Murat
Former home of Catherine Daingerfield Willis, great-grandniece of George Washington and widow of Achille Murat, Prince of Naples and nephew of Napoleon. During the Second French Empire she was recognized as a princess and financially assisted by . . . — Map (db m79560) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Capt. John ParkhillOf Leon Volunteers
This monument is erected by his fellow citizens of Leon County, Florida, as a testimonial of their high esteem for his character and public services. The memory of the hero is the treasure of his country. He was born July 10, 1823 and was killed . . . — Map (db m73046) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-504 — Chaires Historic District
The community of Chaires was established in the 1820s during Floridas Territorial Period (1821-1845). The community is named after Green Hill Chaires, who, along with his two brothers, Benjamin and Thomas Peter, came from Georgia and established . . . — Map (db m79536) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-817 — Chandler's Tourist Camp1925-1929
In 1915, construction began on the Dixie Highway system that linked Florida with the Midwest via highways running from Michigan through Tallahassee along Old St. Augustine Road toward Miami. In the 1920s, the number of auto tourists visiting Florida . . . — Map (db m100888) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-444 — Dale Mabry Field
In October 1940, hundreds of laborers began clearing swampland for temporary quarters for Dale Mabry Army Air Base, named in honor of a young Tallahassee dirigible pilot who died in 1922 after serving in World War I. In 1941, America entered World . . . — Map (db m79561) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-395 — De Soto Winter Encampment Site 1539~1540
In 1539, a Spanish expeditionary force led by Hernando de Soto landed in the Tampa Bay area. Nearly 600 heavily armed adventurers traveled more than 4000 miles from Florida to Mexico intending to explore and control the Southeast of North America. . . . — Map (db m79522) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-389 — Florida A&M University
Founded in 1887 as the State Normal College for Colored Students, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) is the only historically state supported educational facility for African Americans in Florida. It has always been . . . — Map (db m79570) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-397 — Florida A&M University
Founded in 1887 as the State Normal College for Colored Students, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) is the only historically state supported educational facility for African Americans in Florida. It has always been . . . — Map (db m79571) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Florida Liberty Bell Replica
The House of Representatives commends the Florida Bicentennial Commission for making possible the placement of the Liberty Bell here where the public may see the bell and reflect upon the liberty the bell symbolizes. On November 19, 1974, House . . . — Map (db m73010) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Goodwood(2 miles east on Lafayette Grant)
Ante-bellum mansion constructed of brick shipped from New York to port of St. Marks. Completed in 1843. Fine fan lights and pleasing window placements. Circular stairway. Rare old furnishings. — Map (db m67031) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Goodwood Mansion(Old Croom Mansion)
The land upon which Goodwood Mansion was constructed was part of the original land grant rewarded to the Marquis de Lafayette for his service during the Revolutionary War. Hardy Croom of North Carolina, a planter and recognized naturalist, purchased . . . — Map (db m67032) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-393 — Governor John W. Martin House
John Martin was born in Plainfield, Marion County, Florida on June 21, 1884. He was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1914. He joined the Democratic Party and toured the state making speeches in support of President Woodrow Wilson before and during . . . — Map (db m79523) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-505 — Governor William Dunnington Bloxham House 1844 / Governor Bloxham House
Side 1 Governor William Dunnington Bloxham House 1844 This Federal-style building was constructed in 1844 by Richard A. Shine, a prominent builder and mason who constructed the south wing of Florida's Capitol in 1845. In 1881, . . . — Map (db m79566) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-378 — John Gilmore Riley House
John Gilmore Riley was born in 1857, the son of Sarah and James Riley. He was not formally educated, but was instructed by his Aunt Henrietta. Riley became principal of Lincoln Academy, Tallahassee’s first local high school for African Americans in . . . — Map (db m79583) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Lafayette Township Grant
This marker is on the western boundary line of the land selected by Major General the Marquis de Lafayette and granted by the United States Congress to him in 1825 in appreciation of his services during the Revolutionary War. The grant contains 36 . . . — Map (db m79528) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Lafayette Township Grant
This marker is on the western boundary line of the land selected by Major General the Marquis de Lafayette and granted by the United States Congress to him in 1825 in appreciation of his services during the Revolutionary War. The grant contains 36 . . . — Map (db m100567) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Leon County Civil War Monument
To Rescue from oblivion and perpetuate in the memory of succeeding generations the heroic patriotism of the men of Leon County who perished in the Civil War of 1861 - 1865 This monument is raised by their country women Western Battles Shiloh, . . . — Map (db m73047) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Leon County's American Revolutionary War Soldiers
Between 1832 and 1833 the following men applied in Tallahassee, Leon County, Florida, for federal pensions granted for their military service during the American War for Independence Zachariah Gherkins (1757-1845) Served as a Private with . . . — Map (db m73051) HM WM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-698 — Leon High School
The first Leon Academy opened in 1827, three years after Tallahassee's founding, and operated until the mid-1840s. In 1869, the Leon County Board of Public Instruction established separate schools for whites and blacks. In 1871, the county opened . . . — Map (db m79541) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-88 — Lewis Bank
Founded in 1856 by B.C. Lewis as a private banking business, the oldest bank in Florida has grown with the city and section, in size and services rendered. Since its founding, sons have followed fathers in the profession. — Map (db m79525) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-407 — Major General David LangThe Adjutant General of Florida (1885-1894)
David Lang was born on May 9, 1838 in Camden County, Georgia. After graduating from the Georgia Military Academy in 1857, he moved to Florida and worked as a surveyor for Suwannee County. At the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted as a private and . . . — Map (db m79580) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-452 — Mission San Luis
Mission San Luis de Talimali was among the largest and most important missions in Spanish Florida. Its parishioners were Apalachee Indians who were descendents of those people whose village Hernando de Soto appropriated during the winter of . . . — Map (db m79564) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-367 — Old Capitol of Florida
The first two sessions of the territorial legislature were held at St. Augustine and Pensacola. The hazards of traveling between cities 400 miles apart prompted legislators in 1824 to locate a new capital at Tallahassee, between the two cities. Log . . . — Map (db m100792) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-106 — Old City Cemetery
The present boundaries of the Old City Cemetery were established by the Florida Territorial Council in 1829. Many pioneers and their slaves are buried here, although some early Tallahasseans were buried several hundred feet east of this site. The . . . — Map (db m79582) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Old Fort Park
Front This earth work located on ground once part of the plantation of E.A. Houston, father of Captain Patrick Houston (later state adjutant general) who commanded the Confederate artillery at the Battle of Natural Bridge, is a silent . . . — Map (db m79544) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-213 — Old Pisgah
Side 1 Missionaries sent by the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church held services for the Centreville community settlers at this site in the early 1820's. John Slade, known as the "Father of Methodism in Florida," . . . — Map (db m79535) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-909 — Original Lincoln High School
Lincoln School served as the primary public education institution for African Americans in Leon County from 1869 to 1969. Established in 1869 as one of only two Freedman's Bureau schools in Florida to educate newly freed slaves. It was named after . . . — Map (db m110972) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Presbyterian Church(One Block West)
The oldest public building in Tallahassee. Construction was begun in 1835 and completed in 1838. Contains original slave galleries. The building was used many times as a place of refuge for women and children during Indian Wars. — Map (db m73053) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-167 — Prince And Princess Murat
Prince Achille Murat was the nephew of Napoleon Bonaparte and the son of General Jochaim Murat, King of Naples. He settled in Florida in 1825, and as attorney, county judge, and director of Tallahassee's Union Bank, he played an active role in . . . — Map (db m79577) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-933 — Rutgers House/Tallahassee Garden Club Center
(side 1) Rutgers House This house was built by George Proctor, a free African American in 1848 for City Councilman and Territorial Treasurer Henry Rutgers. The doors and woodwork were fashioned from mahogany, and other lumber . . . — Map (db m110896) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-173 — Saint Clement's Chapel ~ Church of The Advent
Built in the town of Lloyd in 1890, this Episcopal chapel was dedicated as St. Clement's Church on June 14, 1895, by Edwin Gardner Weed, 3rd Bishop of Florida. William Betton of Tallahassee designed and built the structure at a cost of $3,500. The . . . — Map (db m79517) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-709 — The "Luraville Locomotive"
Its specific identity lost to time and the Suwannee River, the Luraville Locomotive is one of the nation's oldest "iron horse" steam locomotives. Most likely built between 1850 and 1855, the oft-modified 10-ton, wood-burning American 4-4-0 steam . . . — Map (db m67648) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — 119 — The Blues Trail: Mississippi to Florida
Front North Florida’s urban clubs and rural roadhouses, including clubs that have operated at this historic Bradfordville location, have played an important role in the history of the Gulf Coast “chitlin circuit” for touring . . . — Map (db m79458) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-769 — The Florida A&M University Hospital (1911-1971)
The first healthcare facility in Florida for African-Americans was the Florida A&M College (FAMC) Hospital, known as the Florida A&M University (FAMU) Hospital after 1953. The school's original two-story, 19-bed wooden sanitarium was built in 1911 . . . — Map (db m79623) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-769 — The Florida A&M University Hospital (1911-1971)
The first healthcare facility in Florida for African-Americans was the Florida A&M College (FAMC) Hospital, known as the Florida A&M University (FAMU) Hospital after 1953. The school's original two-story, 19-bed wooden sanitarium was built in 1911 . . . — Map (db m79624) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-374 — The Florida State University Campus
The Florida State University campus is the oldest continuously used site of higher education in the state of Florida. In 1851, the Florida Legislature authorized the establishment of two state seminaries, one east and one west of the Suwannee River. . . . — Map (db m79549) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-392 — The Knott House
Evidence points to George Proctor, a free black man, as the probable builder of this structure in 1843. The house was a wedding gift for Catherine Gamble, the bride of attorney Thomas Hagner. In 1865 the house was used as temporary Union . . . — Map (db m73056) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-209 — The Mission Of San Pedro y San Pablo de Patale
Side 1 In 1633, the province of Apalachee in Spanish Florida received its first full-time resident missionaries. The Franciscan Mission of San Pedro y San Pablo de Patale which was located about one hundred yards north of this marker was . . . — Map (db m79569) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-410 — The Plantation Cemetery At Betton Hill
The site is all that remains of a much larger cemetery for African Americans dating from the pre-Civil War era through the 1940s. It was the main burial ground for black slaves and servants from the Betton Plantation as well as other surrounding . . . — Map (db m79534) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-298 — The Tallahassee Democrat
Side 1 Florida's capital has never been without an alert, vigorous press. Tallahassee's first newspaper, the Florida Intelligencer, was founded on February 19, 1825, nine months before the city was incorporated. The Tallahassee . . . — Map (db m79518) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-391 — The Union Bank of Florida
Completed in 1841, the Union Bank is Florida's oldest surviving bank building. The business was chartered in 1833 as a planters' bank from which plantation owners could borrow against their land and slave holdings. The bank operated in a private . . . — Map (db m73048) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Trinity United Methodist ChurchEstablished 1824
When the Territory of Florida was opened to settlers in 1822, after the Seminole Indians were moved to central Florida, circuit riders came from South Carolina to start a Methodist mission. In 1824, they began the first religious organization in . . . — Map (db m73054) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-614 — Wilhelmina Jakes And Carrie Patterson: Initiators of The Tallahassee Bus Boycott
On May 26, 1956, two Florida A&M University (FAMU) students, Wilhelmina Jakes and Carrie Patterson boarded a crowded Tallahassee city bus and sat in the only seats available, in the front next to a white female passenger. The bus driver ordered them . . . — Map (db m79553) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-770 — Woman's Club of Tallahassee
The Woman's Club of Tallahassee was founded in 1903 by Miss Anna Chaires and other prominent Tallahassee women. The club helped Tallahassee's less fortunate citizens, and in 1910 was instrumental in securing funding for building the first Leon High . . . — Map (db m93360) HM

48 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement