Rainbow Springs has been designated a Registered Natural Landmark
Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935
This site possesses exceptional value in illustrating the natural history of the United States
U.S. . . . — — Map (db m13618) HM
One block to the south is the site of the discovery of hard rock phosphate in Florida by Albertus Vogt in 1889. It made Dunnellon a boom town and first center of the industry. The Tiger Rag, Early Bird and Eagle mines were among the most valuable. . . . — — Map (db m67058) HM
In 1905, Dr. Richard Samuel Hughes II graduated from Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee, the second oldest African American medical school in the country. After moving to Ocala in 1908, Dr. Hughes helped form the American National . . . — — Map (db m120370) HM
On Thanksgiving Day, November 29th, 1883 fire broke out in Ocala. All of the buildings on the east side of today’s SE 1st Avenue from Silver Springs Boulevard to Fort King Street were destroyed. Five blocks of the business district were left in . . . — — Map (db m72921) HM
Reserved on July 8th, 1850, as the first public burial ground for Ocala. Here are graves of those who founded the County Seat, of others here during its early years, and of Confederate and Union veterans of the Civil War.
Nearby are interred . . . — — Map (db m66993) HM
On a nearby knoll stood Fort King, important military outpost during the removal of the Florida Indians. Adjacent to a Seminole agency established in 1825, it was named for Col. William King and first occupied in 1827. Outside the stockade, on . . . — — Map (db m90556) HM
This marks the burying ground of the soldiers and civilians who died at Fort King during the Seminole War 1835-1842.
Fort King occupied the hill to the north-east and was established as a military post in 1827. — — Map (db m92978) HM
On May 1, 1908, the John J. Dickison Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) dedicated this monument to honor the Confederate dead. To erect the monument, the UDC collected $1,500 from its members, schoolchildren (donating pennies), . . . — — Map (db m90555) HM WM
In 1539 Spanish explorers under Hernando de Soto discovered in this vicinity a populous native country called Ocali. From this Timucuan name is derived Ocala, a designation distinctive among the oldest place-names of Florida. Marion County, named . . . — — Map (db m90554) HM
In December, 1890, Ocala was host to a meeting of the National Farmers' Alliance. Sessions, attended by 88 delegates and hundreds of visitors, were held at the Opera House and the Semi-Tropical Exposition Building. A state-wide agricultural . . . — — Map (db m90552) HM
Designated as a Public Square in the original Ocala plat of 1846, this location was the site of Marion County’s first permanent courthouse built in 1851. It was a two-story frame building of Colonial design. The second courthouse was erected on this . . . — — Map (db m90553) HM