Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Miami-Dade County Florida Historical Markers

 
Churches Marker-Side 2 image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, January 24, 2018
Churches Marker-Side 2
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coconut Grove — Churches
(side 1) Originally African American residents of Coconut Grove attended integrated religious services at Union Chapel, now known as Plymouth Congregational Church. The African Americans, who were used to a more spirited religious . . . — Map (db m120630) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coconut Grove — Cocoanut Grove Public Utilities Company
The Cocoanut Grove Public Utilities Company was established in 1916 by William Matheson and his son Hugh to provide local residents with telephone and water services. A ground level storage tank, filled from wells on the site by two diesel engines, . . . — Map (db m77925) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coconut Grove — F-405 — The Barnacle
The Barnacle is the oldest home in Dade County still standing on its original site. It was built in 1891 by Ralph Middleton Munroe, one of Coconut Grove's most prominent pioneers. He first visited South Florida in 1877 and moved to this area in . . . — Map (db m77536) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-408 — Alhambra Water Tower
This “lighthouse” which has never seen the sea, serves as a testament to Coral Gables’ early boom years, a time when everyday practical things could be turned into works of art. Built c. 1923, its design is credited to Denman Fink, . . . — Map (db m73629) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — Biltmore Hotel
Biltmore Hotel has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance
Map (db m75726) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — City of Coral Gables
Incorporated April 29, 1925 Originated in 1898 as the Plantation of Reverend S.G. Merrick Founded and building begun by George E. Merrick November 1921 — Map (db m127511) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — Coral Gables Congregational Church
George Merrick, the visionary behind the City of Coral Gables, founded Coral Gables Congregational Church in 1923, to honor his father, Solomon, a Congregational minister. The church was the first public building in Coral Gables. The Mediterranean . . . — Map (db m75731) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-455 — Coral Gables Merrick House
In July 1899, Congregational minister Solomon Greasley Merrick (1859-1911) and his wife Althea (1859-1937) purchased sight unseen the surrounding 160 acres for $1,100. Several months later, Merrick and his son George (1886-1942) came from . . . — Map (db m73631) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — Coral Gables Miracle Mile
Immediately after World War II, the "Father of Miracle Mile," George K. Zain and his wife, City Commissioner Rebyl Zain conceived, developed and implemented the concept of a Miracle Mile for the section of Coral Way between Douglas Road and Le Jeune . . . — Map (db m83130) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-453 — Coral Gables Waterway
When developer George Merrick (1886-1942) and the Coral Gables Corporation conceived the master plan for Coral Gables in the 1920s, the city's boundaries encompassed waterfront acreage allowing access to waterways. The original city boundaries went . . . — Map (db m74931) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — George Allen Avenue
George Allen, a native of the island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas, moved to South Florida in 1928 seeking a more productive life style for his family. Allen became employed by George Merrick, the founder of Coral Gables. and rose quickly through the . . . — Map (db m120682) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — George E. Merrick1886-1942
"I have given my life to the development of our city and to the working out of an ideal." — Map (db m75996) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — George Edgar Merrick1886-1942
Dreamer, writer, poet, philosopher, lover of the beautiful - he made his dream become a reality in the creation of Coral Gables, City Beautiful. Dade County commissioner from 1914 to 1916. He advocated and promoted good highways and . . . — Map (db m99921) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-980 — GFWC Coco Plum Woman's Club
(Side 1) Pioneer women from distant urban areas were lonely and isolated in the pines and palmettos of South Florida. On February 14, 1912, six of them met at Eleanor Jordan’s home and founded the Coco Plum Thimble Club. "Mother" Jordan . . . — Map (db m127512) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-470 — Pinewood (Cocoplum) Cemetery
Pinewood (Cocoplum) Cemetery is the oldest designated cemetery in the Miami area and one of the oldest Coral Gables Historical sites. Adam and Rosa Richards deeded one acre of land on May 13, 1897 for 10 dollars to Wilson A Larkins, Arthur F. Lang . . . — Map (db m83128) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — Ruth Bryan Owen Waterway Park
Ruth Bryan Owen was the daughter of famed orator and Democratic presidential nominee William Jennings Bryan. She was born in Jacksonville, Illinois, on October 2, 1885. During World War I, she served as a nurse in the Egyptian-Palestine campaign. . . . — Map (db m82381) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — Site of Packing House of Coral Gables Plantation
Site of Packing House of Coral Gables Plantation established by Rev. Solomon Greasley Merrick Post in fig tree only evidence remaining — Map (db m73634) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — State of Florida Historic Roadway
Originally eight feet wide, Le Jeune Road was built by James D. Girtman (1874-1960). In addition to being a road builder, Mr. Girtman was also a successful grocer, fur trader, expert on Seminole culture, and fruit and vegetable grower. In 1902, Mr. . . . — Map (db m74932) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-543 — The Coral Gables Golf and Country Club
The Coral Gables Golf and Country Club and the Granada Golf Course, once the Merrick family’s vegetable field, were part of the original 1921 city plan by George Merrick and landscape architect, Frank Button. The golf course, designed by the . . . — Map (db m73630) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-612 — Troop 7 Log Cabin
When George Edgar Merrick (1886-1942) designed his idealistic City of Coral Gables in the early 1920s, he created a special area for scouts and built a rustic log cabin for his Troop 7 boy scouts on this site. Today, only the chimney remains. After . . . — Map (db m74784) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — U of M Opened Here
On this site, in an unfinished building originally intended for a hotel, the University of Miami registered its first students on October 15, 1926. It was twenty years before the university was able to begin the move to the site originally . . . — Map (db m74927) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — Venetian Pool
This pool was originally a quarry from which limestone was taken for the construction of early Coral Gables homes. In 1924, Denman Fink, artist-architect and uncle of Coral Gables founder George Merrick, transformed it into a unique pool resembling . . . — Map (db m74708) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Coral Gables — F-409 — Women Take Action in Coral GablesThe Roxcy O'Neal Bolton House 1965-1988
Built in 1933, this Mediterranean Revival house is a contributing structure in the Coral Gables Plantation Historic District, one of the earliest developments in the city planned by George Merrick. Throughout the late 1960s and the 1970s, this house . . . — Map (db m73632) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Cutler Bay — F-715 — Old Cutler Road
Old Cutler Road owes its name to the former town of Cutler, a farming community founded by William Fuzzard in the late 1800s. The town was named after Dr. William Cutler of Massachusetts who visited the area around 1880 and encouraged Fuzzard and . . . — Map (db m73635) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Florida City — F-739 — Operation Pedro PanOperación Pedro Pan
On this site, which was officially known as the Florida City Shelter of the Catholic Welfare Bureau’s Children’s Program, thousands of Operation Pedro Pan children found refuge from Communist Cuba between 1961 and 1966. Operation Pedro Pan was . . . — Map (db m71917) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Cooper Residence
George H. Cooper, Sr. and his wife Virginia purchased this land in 1933. The Coopers moved this house, originally a much smaller wood frame structure, to this location. They hired a stone mason, Jack Herndon, who began and completed all of the . . . — Map (db m72977) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Coral Castle
The United States Department of Interior has placed this property on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m83123) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Dr. James Archer Smith House1936 — Local Historic Site —
Dr. James Archer Smith House 1936 Local Historic Site — Map (db m73324) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — First Baptist ChurchCity of Homestead Historic Landmark
First Baptist Church has been designated a City of Homestead Historic Landmark This building, constructed in 1944, replaced a wooden structure constructed in 1912 at the same location. It is the only remaining neoclassical structure in downtown . . . — Map (db m73366) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — First United Methodist Church
Historic Site First United Methodist Church Dedicated November 25, 1951 Designated by the Historic Preservation Board of the City of Homestead, Florida 1992 — Map (db m73275) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Historic Town HallNational Historic Landmark
Historic Town Hall has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This building was designed by Miami architect H. Hastings Mundy and built in 1917. As the Homestead Town Hall, it housed the City Fire Department, the Police Station and the . . . — Map (db m73367) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Hurricane Andrew
On Monday August 24, 1992, at 4:30 am, the eye wall of Hurricane Andrew passed over this point before striking Homestead and Southern Miami-Dade County. Andrew was one of the most powerful hurricanes in US history with wind gusts exceeding 175 mph . . . — Map (db m131777) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Landmark Hotel
Historic Site Landmark Hotel 1916 — Map (db m73323) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Lindeman-Johnson House1923 — Local Historic Site —
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m73276)
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Palm Lodge
Palm Lodge was built in 1912 for Colonel Henry Wallace Johnston, a hardware merchant from Lebanon, Kentucky. Col. Johnson planted an avocado grove and experimented with specimens of tropical fruits and flowers. One of his specialties was the . . . — Map (db m76497) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Redland District
The Redland District, named for the color of its soil, was settled in the early 1900s. Dan Roberts, Claude Jenkins and George Kosel were the first pioneers to file homestead claims in Redland. The pioneer community was concentrated along Redland . . . — Map (db m73271) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Redland Farm Life School
Redland Farm Life School was originally constructed in 1916 by the Dade County School Board on land donated by William Anderson. Dr. Hyram Byrd was the impetus for consolidating the one room schools in Goulds, Eureka, Modello, Princeton, Murray . . . — Map (db m76155) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Silver Palm Historic District
The Silver Palm District named for the small silver-backed fronds that grew profusely in the surrounding pine forest, was the first area south of Cutler opened for settlement. In 1900, Charles Gossman, Charles Hill and William Anderson filed the . . . — Map (db m73327) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — The Edge of "Progress" / Al Margen del "Progreso"
The Edge of "Progress" (English) Imagine standing at this spot and watching tanker ships approach an oil refinery directly ahead of you. In the distance to your right, a causeway connects the Florida mainland to a new city on the . . . — Map (db m131792) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — The Edge of Discovery / Margen del Descubrimiento
The Edge of Discovery (English) Ponce de Leon is said to have named this place after the Bay of Biscay in his native Spain. A reef near the northern end of the park is dubbed “Fowey” after the British warship that wrecked . . . — Map (db m131794) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — The Hotel Redland
has been designated a City of Homestead Historic Landmark This building, built by W.D. Horne as the Homestead Inn, was originally constructed in 1904 and reconstructed several times after that. It served as a supply store and rooming house . . . — Map (db m73274) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — The Seminole TheaterCity of Homestead Historic Landmark
The Seminole Theater has been designated a City of Homestead Historic Landmark This building, originally constructed in 1921, was subsequently restored in 1940 with an Art Deco facade following a devastating fire. The theatre was mainly used as . . . — Map (db m73365) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Walton House
W.K. Walton built this home circa 1919. Walton planted four acres of avocados and eventually established one of the first commercial avocado nurseries in south Dade. This wood frame, stucco covered residence is designed in the style of an English . . . — Map (db m72983) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Cause for Conservation
Cause for Conservation "The wild unspoiled beauty of Cape Florida - 510 acres of pines, palms, and beach at the tip of Key Biscayne - has long been hailed...as a natural park and nature reserve." "Eight years ago, The Miami News urged . . . — Map (db m134818) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Dade Heritage Trust’s Cape Florida Lighthouse Brick Program
Dade Heritage Trust’s Cape Florida Lighthouse Brick Program Dade Heritage Trust is the leading voice for historic preservation in Miami-Dade County. Founded as a nonprofit in 1972, Dade Heritage Trust works to preserve the architectural, . . . — Map (db m134814) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Escaping to Freedom in the Bahamas
In the early 1820's, enslaved Africans, runaways, and "Black Seminoles" seeking freedom from slave catchers and plantation masters, secretly worked their way down to CAPE FLORIDA. They met with bold captains of sloops from the British Bahamas who . . . — Map (db m79723) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Historical Marker #1: The Concession Stand
When Virginia Beach Park officially opened to the public in 1945, a prefabricated "snack bar" was among the site's first amenities. A 1947 hurricane destroyed it. In 1951, this permanent concession stand was constructed. For decades, park and beach . . . — Map (db m120685) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Historical Marker #2 Dance Pavilion
A 1918 map located a "Negro Dance Pavilion" on Virginia Key. When Virginia Key Beach Park opened in 1945, a concrete dance floor was included on this site. Beach visitors danced the Lindy Hop, Foxtrot, Twist, Monkey, Mash Potato, Robot, and Hustle . . . — Map (db m120688) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Homes That Hover
Stiltsville got its start in the 1930s, when "Crawfish" Eddie Walker set up a bait shop on the bay. The area takes its name from the houses built on stilts above the water. By the 1950s and 1960s, it was a popular gathering place for . . . — Map (db m79658) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Key Biscayne, The Barrier Island
Key Biscayne is a barrier island located at the north end of the reef-strewn Florida Straits. One thousand years before Columbus sailed, the Tequesta inhabited the island. These coastal fishermen navigated dugout canoes between the island . . . — Map (db m79666) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Let It Shine!
The Cape Florida Lighthouse stands today as a reminder of perseverance in the face of hardship. The Cape Florida Lighthouse was built to alert ships as they sailed near the dangerous reefs of the Florida Keys. Constructed in December . . . — Map (db m79720) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Lighthouse Keeper's Cottage
The original brick dwelling was completed in July 1825: a two story cottage with two rooms on each floor. The lower floor was dirt and the upper floor had only one small window on each end. The kitchen was attched to the back. The first lighthouse . . . — Map (db m80255) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Restoration Hardware
Restoration Hardware Have you ever wondered how people a hundred years from now will know how we lived? Preserving historical structures, such as the Cape Florida Lighthouse, is one way to connect the past with the present. In 1996, the . . . — Map (db m134825) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Road to Restoration
Road to Restoration Years of weather and wear left the Lighthouse in need of tender love and care. The road to restoration for the Cape Florida Lighthouse was long, but exciting. First, craftsmen laid approximately 23,000 bricks to repair . . . — Map (db m134816) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — The Archaeology of Key Biscayne
The Archaeology of Key Biscayne Archaeologists began work on Key Biscayne in 1985 and have uncovered hundreds of artifacts providing clues of human habitation beginning with the Tequesta Indians and continuing through the mid-nineteenth . . . — Map (db m134806) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — The Bahama Dinghy
the Bahama Dinghy A small study sailing boat was essential for coastal and island residents in a time before roads and bridges. Used for trips to nearby settlements to buy and sell supplies, to transport cargo and people to and from sailing . . . — Map (db m134804) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — U.S. Coast Survey Base Marker
In 1855, a U.S. Coast Survey team, led by A.D. Bache, the superintendent of the Coast Survey, erected two base markers on Key Biscayne. One is located on what is now the golf course. This one was on land 300 ft. south of the lighthouse, but by 1883, . . . — Map (db m79663) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Bay of Pigs Monument
Cuba A los martires de la Brigada de Asalto 2506 17 de Abril 1961 Bay of Pigs Invasion Junta Directiva 2002-2004 Martires de Giron Julio Acosta Ruiz ∙ Eufrasio Aleman Aleman ∙ Elio Aleman Armenteros ∙ Pedro I. Amaro Abreu . . . — Map (db m134738) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Brickell Park
The Brickell Family donated Brickell Park to Miami in 1921 as a preserve for the family mausoleum. Their remains are now in Woodlawn Cemetery. Brickell Park is one of the few parks connecting Brickell Avenue to the shoreline of Biscayne Bay. From . . . — Map (db m65647) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Charles Avenue
The first black community on the South Florida mainland began here in the late 1880s when Blacks primarily from the Bahamas came via Key West to work at the Peacock Inn. Their first hand experience with tropical plants and building materials proved . . . — Map (db m75597) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Crossing the Everglades
The Tamiami Trail was crucial to opening up the wilderness and creating a link to Florida's major cities. Building a road through the heart of the Everglades was no easy task, but with the power of human ingenuity the builders were able to develop . . . — Map (db m132100) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Dade CountyCreated Jan. 28, 1836, Named for Major Francis Langhorn Dade — 1784 - 1815 —
Born 1793 in Virginia. Joined 12th U.S. Infantry in 1813; Served with it thru War of 1812; In 4th Regiment rest of his life. Promoted from 3rd Lieut. to Major, Commanded garrison at Key West. In Seminole War was sent with 117 men to aid Gen. Clinch . . . — Map (db m88531) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Dinner Key
Picnickers in sailboat days gave the key its name. In World War I, it was a Naval air base. In 1930, Pan American World Airways here inaugurated flying boat service to Latin America, erecting huge hangars and a terminal. The U.S. Government dredged . . . — Map (db m75186) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Ferdinand MagellanU.S. Car No. 1
U.S. Car No. 1, Ferdinand Magellan has been designated National Historic Landmark Presidential railroad car built for the exclusive use of the President of the United States of America 1942 Restored and exhibited by The . . . — Map (db m73445) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Fort Dallas and the William F. English Plantation Slave QuartersMiami River Greenway
The United States of America took possession of Florida from Spain under the terms of the 1821 Treaty of Paris. In 1830, the U.S. implemented the Indian Removal Act, forcing Seminole Indians south into the Miami and Everglades area. The Second . . . — Map (db m78126) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — General Antonio Maceo
“La libertad no se mendiga. Se conquista con el filo del machete.” English: “Freedom is not begged for. It is conquered with the edge of the machete.” General Antonio Maceo “El Titan de . . . — Map (db m134798) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — General Máximo Gómez
Generalisimo Maximo Gomez 1886-1905 Nacio en Bani Rep. Dominicana 18 Nov 1836 Libertador de Cuba Donaron e instalaron el busto Jose Bianka y Stephanie Alvarez Aprovado por Comisionado Willy Gort Colaboradores: Consul Dom. Manuel . . . — Map (db m134727) HM WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Gesu Catholic Church
Founded in 1896 is officially listed on The National Register Of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m88527) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Great Miami Hurricane of 1926
On September 18, 1926, the Great Miami Hurricane swept across South Florida with estimated winds of 131-155 mph. Before the era of satellites and computer models, warnings for tropical cyclones were often inadequate. A storm warning from . . . — Map (db m88533) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Housekeepers Club
On Thursday afternoon, February 19, 1891, Flora McFarlane and five other pioneer women of Dade County founded the Housekeepers Club, the first organized women's club in South Florida. The purpose was to bring the housekeepers of the area together . . . — Map (db m75192) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Impact of the "Bay of Pigs" on Miami
In the early months of 1961 Cuban refugees in Miami flew from Opa-Locka airport to Guatemala to become part of the almost 1300 men of Brigade 2506. The Brigade's Bay of Pigs Invasion on April 17, 1961, resulted in defeat with over 100 men killed . . . — Map (db m87438) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — José Martí
“Yo quiero, cuando me muera sin patria, pero sin amo, tener en mi losa un ramo de flores, - ¡y una bandera!” English: “I want, when I die, without a country, but without a master, to have on my tomb . . . — Map (db m134797) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — F-976 — Lemon City Cemetery
By the 1870s, nearly 1,000 African Americans were living in and around the unincorporated community of Lemon City, located just north of the Miami city limits. Most of the black community were Bahamian immigrants who worked for the wealthier white . . . — Map (db m128320) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Life Along the Tamiami
The Tamiami Trail changed life in South Florida forever. Crossing the state went from being a multi-day sea and train journey through the Keys to a motor car drive of only a few hours. It opened up access to an area that was considered by most to be . . . — Map (db m132095) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — F-1009 — Little Haiti's Mache Ayisyen-"The Caribbean Marketplace"
In the 1980s, thousands of Haitian immigrants settled in Miami, and the neighborhood of Little Haiti began to form. The building that would become this Haitian marketplace was originally constructed in 1936, but sat unused at the time. In 1984, the . . . — Map (db m128656) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Little Havana Honors Our Veterans
Little Havana Honors Our Veterans We salute the brave men and women who have sacrificed so much for our freedom. The courage of our veterans will never be forgotten. We pay tribute to them, including our Bay of Pigs veterans, for their . . . — Map (db m134732) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Lummus Park Historic DistrictMiami River Greenway
This land on the north side of the Miami River was developed as a residential area soon after the City Park opened in 1909. Along NW 3rd and NW 4th Streets a mixture of single-family and multi-family structures were built that were made of strong . . . — Map (db m78195) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Mary Brickell Park
The Tequesta Indians were the indigenous people of Miami prior to European contact. Mary Brickell Park encompasses a portion of what was the largest Tequesta village in southeast Florida. Archaeological evidence reveals that this site was in use . . . — Map (db m65648) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Memorial to the Fallen of Cuban Liberation
A los mártires que han derramado su sangre por la libertad de Cuba. En el año del centenario de la muerte de nuestro apóstol Jose Marti. 1895-1995 Caballeros de Colon Consejo Beato Marcelino Champagnat Consejo Corpus Christi Miami, 20 . . . — Map (db m134795) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Menendez on Biscayne Bay1567
Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles, Adelantado of Florida and founder of St. Augustine, landed here at the chief village of the Tequesta Indians early in 1567. He returned several Indians held captive on the West Coast and established friendly relations . . . — Map (db m88324) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — F-788 — Miami City Cemetery
In 1897 Mrs. Mary Brickell sold this 10-acre “rocky wasteland” to the City of Miami for $750. It was a half mile north of the city limits on a narrow wagon county trail. The first burial, not recorded, was of an elderly black man on 14 . . . — Map (db m78119) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — F-974 — Miami Stadium
Side 1 On its opening night, August 31, 1949, Major League Baseball Commissioner Albert Benjamin “Happy” Chandler declared, “I know of no more beautiful ballpark anywhere than this new Miami Stadium.” From its iconic neon . . . — Map (db m120653) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Naval Air Station RichmondWWII L.T.A. Facility
At this site, on 15 September 1942, the United States Navy established a 2,000 acre (810 hectare) lighter-than-air facility. The Navy constructed 3 huge hangers, each 17 stories (175 feet/54 meters) high, 297 feet (110.5 meters) wide, and 1,088 feet . . . — Map (db m73415) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Nestor A. Izquierdo
Monumento establecido 8/24/1984 Honrar honra 1992 En memoria de Nestor A. Izquierdo Veterano de la Brigada 2506 U.S.A. Army Esta obra fue realizada por Gilberto Casanova Secretario General de Accion Cubana y algunos . . . — Map (db m134794) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — F-821 — NW 36th Street Bridge
A rare example of a Hanover Skew bridge once crossed the Miami Canal at this location. The bridge, completed in 1952, was built to carry increasing automobile traffic to and from Miami International Airport, southwest of this location. In the early . . . — Map (db m120652) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — F-922 — Office of Dr. James Jackson, Miami's First Physician
Dr. James M. Jackson moved with his wife Edith to Miami in 1896 and became the city’s first resident physician. In 1899 they built a home on land purchased from the “Mother of Miami,” Julia Tuttle. Dr. Jackson built this one-story frame . . . — Map (db m120655) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — F-561 — Pioneer Boat Builders' Site — 1947 —
For thousands of years most water crafts were built of wood. The first reinforced plastic fiberglass boats in the southeastern United States were conceived and built here in 1947. Two hundred feet north of this marker is the former home and workshop . . . — Map (db m77650) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — F-816 — Port of Miami
Miami’s waterfront location has played a critical role in its history. In 1895, landowners Julia Tuttle and William and Mary Brickell persuaded Henry Flagler to extend his Florida East Coast Railroad south and build a port city. Flagler’s first . . . — Map (db m120654) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Ransom School
In 1896 Paul C. Ransom first brought students from an Eastern preparatory school to this site, which he named Pine Knot Camp, for a winter term of study and outdoor life. In 1903 it became the Adirondack-Florida School with the fall and spring terms . . . — Map (db m75217) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Restoring The Everglades
With the perspective of time, the engineering marvel of the Tamiami Trail and its effect are being viewed in a different light. The early desire to conquer the swamp and control the water flow of this untamed wilderness changed the Everglades . . . — Map (db m132096) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Saving the Circle
The Miami Circle site would not exist today if it were not for the support of the community. Public outcry over the impending destruction of the Miami Circle led to additional archaeological research and preservation of the 2.2 acre parcel of . . . — Map (db m65471) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Tequesta
Indians lived at the mouth of the Miami River (200 yards southwest of this spot) for more than 15 centuries before White men came. The principal town of the Tequesta Indians, including six mounds used for dwelling, burial, and religious rites, was . . . — Map (db m88322) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Art Deco Tower
This seven-story octagonal tower was built in 1929 as an entrance to the Sears Roebuck and Company department store, which was designed by the architectural firm Nimmons, Carr and Wright. It was the focal point of the first Art Deco style . . . — Map (db m63894) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Coconut Grove Library
The land on which this library stands was given by Commodore Ralph Middleton Munroe, whose first wife lies buried on it. The library was started by a writer, Kirk Munroe (no relation) and his wife, Mary Barr Munroe, as a reading group called . . . — Map (db m75209) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Cushman School
Miami's oldest independent day school was founded by Dr. Laura Cushman in 1924. The school moved to this site in 1926, opening in early October, having sustained only minor damage from the disastrous September hurricane. The original Mediterranean . . . — Map (db m77831) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Dice House
The Dice House is the oldest surviving structure in the Kendall area, built circa 1920 by David Brantly Dice, a popular figure considered the “unnamed mayor of the community”. Mr. Dice owned and operated a general store on property . . . — Map (db m76498) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Historic Coconut Grove Cemetery
The Historic Coconut Grove Cemetery was first used as a graveyard for the Grove's Bahamian settlers in 1906. The community's original cemetery was a small lot opened by the city in 1904 on what is now the 3500 block of Charles Avenue. That site was . . . — Map (db m75600) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Miami Circle
On this spot of land at the mouth of the Miami River, a historic discovery shed new light on one of Florida's early peoples - the Tequesta. During the demolition of the Brickell Point apartments in 1998, archaeologists uncovered preshistoric . . . — Map (db m65644) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Miami Circle at Brickell Point
The Miami Circle at Brickell Point has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. The Miami Circle is a 38-foot diameter ring of post . . . — Map (db m65646) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The People of Brickell Point
Brickell Point has been host to many cultures and witness to a number of historical milestones. The powerful Tequesta Indians made their main village at the mouth of the Miami River for over two thousand years. Abundant natural resources . . . — Map (db m65645) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — The Tower of SnowEnrique Martínez Celaya — American (born in Cuba, 1964) —
2012, Bronze 132 x 89 x 64 in. The Tower of Snow by distinguished Cuban-born artist Enrique Martínez Celaya honors the 50th anniversary of Operation Pedro Pan, which brought thousands of Cuban children, without their parents, to the United States in . . . — Map (db m71941) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — F-573 — Virginia Key Beach Park
Virginia Key Beach Park is an environmental and historic landmark located on a barrier island. Its earliest recorded history is of an 1838 skirmish during the Second Seminole War in which three Seminoles were killed on this site. From the early . . . — Map (db m79381) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — 70000181 — Vizcaya
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m63817) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Wagner HomesteadMiami River Greenway
This 1850s structure is the oldest standing house in Miami-Dade County. It was built by William Wagner, a German immigrant and U.S. Army veteran. After being wounded in the Mexican-American War in 1847, Wagner returned to Fort Moultrie, Georgia to . . . — Map (db m78192) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — 209 9th Street / 900 Collins Avenue
209 9th Street / 900 Collins Avenue Miami Beach, FL. Contributing Structures Miami Beach Architectural District National Register of Historic Places Ocean Drive/Collins Avenue Historic District City of Miami Beach, Florida Originally . . . — Map (db m134710) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Alfredo Gonzalez, Sr.
Alfredo Gonzalez, Sr. (1935-2016) Since the onset, Hispanics have contributed to the rich cultural fabric that makes Miami Beach a great community and destination. It was in this tropical paradise that Alfredo Gonzalez, Sr. set roots in the . . . — Map (db m134713) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Barbara Baer CapitmanGreat Floridians 2000
Barbara Baer Capitman This plaque, unveiled in February 2018, commemorates the completion of the second major rehabilitation of the Cardozo Hotel. The first Art Deco jewel, in which Mrs Capitman initiated her passionate battle to finally . . . — Map (db m134651) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Barbara Baer Capitman
. . . — Map (db m134654) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — F-1001 — Barbara Baer Capitman – Historic Preservationist
Barbara Baer Capitman – Historic Preservationist This building is home to the Miami Design Preservation League, founded by Barbara Baer Capitman in 1976. On May 14, 1979 under her leadership, the Miami Beach Architectural District (Art . . . — Map (db m134707) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Barefoot Mailman
In the 1800s, mail was often carried between the coastal communities of South Florida by barefoot mailmen. These carriers walked most of the route barefoot on the firm sand near the water's edge. In the 1880s, the U.S. government established . . . — Map (db m77644) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Biscayne House of Refuge
Near this site stood the Biscayne House of Refuge to save survivors of shipwrecks from the perils of the desolate shore. After every storm, the keeper and his family searched the beach for castaways to furnish them food, clothing, shelter, and a . . . — Map (db m75990) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Carlos J. Finlay
Carlos J. Finlay 1833-1915 Who discovered the transmission of yellow fever by the mosquito and made it posible to ovecome such a terrible scourge The world regards this Cuban scientist as a great benefactor of humanity Presented to the City . . . — Map (db m134648) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Casa Casuarina
Casa Casuarina 1930 1226 Ocean Drive A modern adaptation of the Alcazar de Colon home of the Columbus family in Santo Domingo: the arms are copied from the Tomb of Columbus in the Cathedral of Santo Domingo. The brick above is from the . . . — Map (db m134657) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — 80000946 — Congregation Beth Jacob
Congregation Beth Jacob has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior October 16, 1980 Additional marker: This property as Beth Jacob Congregation was placed on the National . . . — Map (db m63861) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Egyptian Filling Station
The Lummus Brothers of Ocean Beach Realty Co. platted an addition to the Ocean Beach Subdivision in 1913. The area was sparsely settled with small seasonal rooming houses and 2 story homes. In 1926 the NW corner of Collins Avenue and 14th street . . . — Map (db m134714) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — First Church on Miami Beach
First Church established on Miami Beach 1921 In appreciation to Carl & Jane Fisher who gave the land on which this church was built 1920 — Map (db m134801) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — F-468 — Haulover Beach Sport Fishing Docks(1926-1951)
(side 1) The originally known Lighthouse Dock, once at this site, marked the beginnings of this area's fame as a sportsman's paradise. Folklore and history relate that a man named Baker (c. 1810) “hauled over” fishing boats . . . — Map (db m75994) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Jackie Gleason
Jackie Gleason 1916-1987 Best known as Ralph Kramden in “The Honeymooners.” The Theater broadcast his television variety show from 1964-1970. It was built in 1950 as part of the Miami Beach Convention Center Complex. Originally . . . — Map (db m134721) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — José Martí
Jose Marti 1853-1895 A tribute from all Cubans and Latin Americans in exile honoring his inspired patriotic life devoted to freedom and justice for all “No son bellas las playas del destierro hasta que se les dice . . . — Map (db m134649) HM WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Melvin J. Richard
Melvin J. Richard Melvin J. Richard came to Miami Beach in 1926 at the age of 14. His first labor for the young city was digging ditches for its water pipes, at 35 cents an hour. In 1934, at age 22, he became the 6th attorney in the city. In . . . — Map (db m134650) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Miami Beach Municipal Auditorium
Miami Beach Municipal Auditorium 1950 1951 Dedicated to the memory of the men and women of our community who have served their country in peace and in war to preserve our American heritage of democracy. This building is tangible evidence of . . . — Map (db m134717) HM WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Scarface
This is the actual staircase that was used in the filming of the “1983” classic movie “Scarface” Starring: Al Pacino, Steven Bauer, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Michelle Pfeiffer. This scene depicts the chainsaw . . . — Map (db m134441) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Simón Bolívar
Simón Bolivar “El Libertador” 1783-1830 Un tributo de la Familia Hernández y cubanos del exilio al Libertador de los países Bolivarianos, en reconocimiento y honor a su patriotismo de libertad y justicia para el pueblo. . . . — Map (db m134629) HM WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — South Beach Art Deco District
South Beach Art Deco District Miami Beach National Register Architectural District Affectionately known as the "Art Deco" District, the Miami Beach Architectural District embodies the design continuum of the City from its early development . . . — Map (db m134709) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — The Sephardic Jewish Center
The Sephardic Jewish Center of Greater Miami Existed in this building between 1960 and 1993 — Map (db m134626) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Shores — Biscayne
In the early 1870s, William H. Gleason and William H. Hunt moved up the bay from Miami and founded the community of Biscayne. They brought with them the Miami Post Office, renaming it the Biscayne Post Office. Since the Dade County Court was . . . — Map (db m77649) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), North Miami — Arch Creek
Until 1973, when it collapsed, the forty foot natural bridge of oolitic limestone that spanned Arch Creek was one of South Florida's earliest landmarks. Prehistoric Indians occupied this site hundreds of years before European exploration. In the . . . — Map (db m77645) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), North Miami — Arch Creek Bridge
The natural limestone that once spanned the Arch Creek served as a crossing place for prehistoric Tequesta Indians, Seminole War soldiers and early pioneers. It was a natural wonder of great beauty and a scenic gathering place from which eventually . . . — Map (db m100667) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), North Miami — F-469 — Arch Creek Road Military Trail
The Arch Creek State Archaeological Site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. It contains a portion of the Military Trail, a wagon road, built during the Third Seminole War (1855-1859) by the U.S. Army. In 1856 Captains . . . — Map (db m77648) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Palmetto Bay — Chinese Bridge
In 1918 Charles Deering constructed this bridge to cross Cutler Creek on the way to his retirement home. At the time this accessway was called "Old Cutler Road". Deering relocated it from its original location inside the natural areas of his . . . — Map (db m79320) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Palmetto Bay — The Deering Estate at CutlerEstablished 1890
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1986, the Deering Estate at Cutler is a 444 acre environmental, archaeological, historical and architectural preserve owned by the State of Florida and managed by the Miami-Dade County Park . . . — Map (db m73439) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Palmetto Bay — F-215 — The Perrine Land Grant
(side 1) In 1838, the United States Congress granted a township of land in the southern extremity of Florida to noted horticulturist Dr. Henry Perrine and his associates. This land was to be used in experiments aimed at introducing foreign . . . — Map (db m73442) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Palmetto Bay — The Town of Peters
The town of Peters, no longer recognized, was named after the “Tomato King,” Thomas J. Peters, who moved to this area in 1895. His tomato growing and packing business was the area's first million dollar enterprise and Peters was the . . . — Map (db m71663) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Pinecrest — Historical Entrance Building
The world famous Parrot Jungle tourist attraction was founded by Franz Scherr and opened on this site in 1936. This building was the original entrance and became the attraction's signature structure. It was constructed of Dade County pine and had a . . . — Map (db m73326) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Pinecrest — Pinecrest Gardens"Parrot Jungle Historic District"
This property has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 2011 Barack Obama President of the United States Ken Salazar Secretary of the Department of the Interior . . . — Map (db m73278)
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Pinecrest — Special Agent Jerry Dove, Special Agent Benjamin Grogan
The Pinecrest Village Council dedicated this portion of Southwest 82 Avenue on 15th day of May, 2001, in memory of these two FBI agents who gave their lives in the line of duty during a gun battle at this site on April 11, 1986. — Map (db m74958) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Pinecrest — Veterans Wayside Park
Re-dedicated by the Pinecrest Village Council on November 12, 2007 in recognition of the honorable men and women who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. — Map (db m73325) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Pinecrest — Whilden-Carrier Cottage
This cottage is typical of the pioneer dwellings built by homesteaders who settled in rural Dade County during the early 1900s through 1930s. It belonged to Carl Whilden, chief foreman at Fairchild Tropical Garderns. Whilden built the cottage in . . . — Map (db m79655) HM

138 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement