Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Monroe County Florida Historical Markers

 
State Road 4A Marker and entrance to the Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail. image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, September 18, 2018
State Road 4A Marker and entrance to the Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail.
Florida (Monroe County), Cudjoe Key — F-901 — State Road 4A
On Oversea Highway (U.S. 1) 0.1 miles west of Drost Drive, on the right when traveling south.
The first Overseas Highway, also known as State Road 4A (SR 4A), consisted of two roadway segments both completed by 1928. One spanned from Key West to No Name Key, and the other from Key Largo to Upper Matecumbe Key. Ferries transported cars . . . — Map (db m127507) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamadora — The Florida Keys Memorial
On U.S. 1, on the left when traveling south.
The Florida Keys Memorial, known locally as the “Hurricane Monument,” was built to honor hundreds of American veterans and local civilians who perished in the “Great Hurricane” on Labor Day, September 2, 1935. Islamadora . . . — Map (db m3251) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Highway Piers
On Overseas Highway (U.S. 1 at milepost 73), 0.8 miles south of Tollgate Boulevard, on the right when traveling south.
The veterans of World War I were promised a bonus but due to the Great Depression of the early 1930s the government was without funds. Roosevelt was president and formed the Florida Emergency Relief Administration to create jobs for those . . . — Map (db m116064) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Historic Plaque
On Overseas Highway (U.S. 1 at milepost 75), on the left when traveling south.
Indian Key, an 11 acre island just offshore to the east, played an important part in Florida's history. An Indian village 1500 years ago, it was also the home of pirates roaming the Caribbean, and a ship wrecker's village during the 1810's. The . . . — Map (db m83557) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Juan Ponce de Leon
On Overseas Highway (U.S. 1 at milepost 78), 1.9 miles south of State Road 4a, on the left when traveling south.
Juan Ponce de Leon was born in San Servas, Spain in 1460. He had served in the Spanish army and had accompanied Christopher Columbus in his second voyage in 1491. He was appointed governor of Haiti in 1511 and governor of Puerto Rico in 1512. . . . — Map (db m83555) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Rafters
On Overseas Highway (U.S. 1 at milepost 78), 1.9 miles south of Old State Road 4a, on the left when traveling south.
This plaque is in memory of the many Cubans who were desperate to leave Castros' communist Cuba. They left their homes and families trying to cross the 90 miles of sea in rafts, innertubes or anything that would float. Not knowing what rough . . . — Map (db m83553) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Road and Ferry
On Overseas Highway, approximately Mile Marker 75, on the right when traveling south.
In April, 1926, Monroe County began construction of a road on the east end of Upper Matecumbe to connect with other islands. It eventually made it possible to drive to Key West by using a ferry. The first car drove to Key West on Jan. 25 1928 . . . — Map (db m83879) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Site of Camp Three
On Tollgate Boulevard at Toll Gate Shores Drive, on the left when traveling west on Tollgate Boulevard.
Established in 1934, during the Great Depression, Camp Three housed 250 Bonus Army veterans until September 2, 1935 when one of the worst hurricanes ever recorded destroyed everything there. The eye of the hurricane passed over nearby Craig Key with . . . — Map (db m83592) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Spanish Treasure Fleet of 1733
On Overseas Highway (U.S. 1 at milepost 78), 1.9 miles from Old State Road 4a, on the left when traveling south.
On Friday, July 13, 1733, the Spanish treasure fleet under the command of General Don Rodrigo de Torres Morales, sailed from Havana Harbor for Spain. The fleet of 21 ships was loaded with gold and silver from the mine at Cartagena, Peruvian . . . — Map (db m83550) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Tea Table Key
On Overseas Highway (U.S. 1 at milepost 71), 1.5 miles south of Old State Road 4a, on the left when traveling south.
Indians lived on this island over 1000 years ago. In 1722, it was known as Boys Island. In Dec., 1838, Lt. Coste established a Naval base here and named it Ft. Paulding. This was the base for the West Indian Squadron used to blockade the coast to . . . — Map (db m83541) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamorada — Triangle of History
On Overseas Highway (at milepost 79), on the right when traveling south.
1. North East end Lower Matecumbe Key - Ancient Water Wells - only fresh water on Upper Keys - Used by Indians, Sailors and Traders in XVII Century. Huge Indian Midden (Kitchen) near Wells. 2. Indian Key - Spanish Trading Post - established by . . . — Map (db m83862) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key Largo — African Queen
Near Overseas Highway (U.S. 1 at milepost 100) north of Laguna Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
The African Queen vessel was created in 1912 and is on the American National Historic Register. Her boiler is custom made and is historically correct and her steam engine is from 1896. She was restored in 2012 and has to be meticulously maintained . . . — Map (db m83207) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-432 — African Cemetery at Higgs Beach
On Atlantic Boulevard at White Street, on the right when traveling east on Atlantic Boulevard.
Near this site lie the remains of 294 African men, women and children who died in Key West in 1860. In the summer of that year the U.S. Navy rescued 1,432 Africans from three American-owned ships engaged in the illegal slave trade. Ships bound for . . . — Map (db m84722) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-983 — Alexander Cruz/ Julia Gardner House
On Whitehead Street at Eaton Street, on the right when traveling north on Whitehead Street.
The cigar industry of Key West dates from 1831, when the first cigar factory was established. After the 1868 Cuban War of Independence, Key West’s cigar manufacturing industry boomed, reaching its zenith at the turn of the twentieth century. In . . . — Map (db m127501) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Alfred Goldsboro Mayor
Alfred Goldsboro Mayor, who studied the biology of many seas and here founded a laboratory for research for the Carnegie Institution directing it for XVIII years with conspicuous success, brilliant versatile courageous utterly forgetful of self. He . . . — Map (db m9304) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Audubon House
On Whitehead Street at Sunset Lane, on the right when traveling north on Whitehead Street.
Captain John H. Geiger, skilled pilot and master wrecker, built this house in 1830. It is typical of the era when, in 1832, the famed naturalist, John James Audubon, visited Key West to study and sketch the birds of the Florida Keys. On March 18, . . . — Map (db m81832) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 38 — Basilica of St. Mary Star of the Sea-Circa 1852-
Near Truman Avenue (U.S. 1) at Windsor Lane.
Welcome to the oldest Roman Catholic Parish in South Florida. There is evidence that Spanish Jesuits serving in Cuba first attempted to establish a mission in Key West as early as 1724.The first Catholic Church on the island was dedicated February . . . — Map (db m101385) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 48 — Clinton Square
On Front Street at Sunset Lane, on the left when traveling south on Front Street.
This monument represents two perspectives on how the Civil War affected the residents of Key West. The obelisk in the center of the memorial plot was erected by the Navy Club of Key West for the Union soldiers who lost their lives in Key West during . . . — Map (db m85270) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-78 — Convent Of Mary Immaculate(1878)
On Truman Avenue (U.S. 1) at Elizabeth Street, on the right when traveling north on Truman Avenue.
Built by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, a Canadian Order which first established a school here in 1868. Designed by William Kerr of Ireland, of Romanesque style, with dormered, mansard roofs and central tower. In the . . . — Map (db m101297) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 93 — Cornish Memorial AME Zion ChurchCirca 1864
On Whitehead Street (U.S. 1) at Angela Street, on the right when traveling east on Whitehead Street.
Founded in 1864, Cornish Chapel members began building their church in 1885. Designed to resemble European cathedrals, it served as a place of worship, school, and refuge during inclement weather. The foundation was quarried from the site and its . . . — Map (db m101245) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-701 — E.H. Gato Cigar Factory
On Simonton Street at Virginia Street, on the left when traveling north on Simonton Street.
The Gato Cigar Factory was constructed by Eduardo H. Gato in 1916. This Neo-Classical Revival, poured-concrete structure with a large central courtyard was constructed after an earlier wood frame factory on this site burned. Numerous windows . . . — Map (db m93305) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 17 — Eduardo Gato Cigar Factory
On Simonton Street at Virginia Street, on the right when traveling south on Simonton Street.
This is the second Gato cigar factory located on this site. The first structure was a wooden factory built in 1884 and destroyed by fire in 1915. The second factory was built as a hurricane and fire proof structure in 1920. It features large windows . . . — Map (db m99444) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-765 — Eduardo H. Gato House
Near Duval Street at South Street, on the right when traveling east.
This house, with its elaborate Queen Anne style detailing, was built c. 1894 by E. H. Gato, Sr. (1847-1926). The Gato family was one of Key West's most prominent families, and three generations of the family lived here until 1951. Eduardo H. Gato . . . — Map (db m101296) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-647 — Fort Taylor
Near Southard Street 0.6 miles west of Whitehead Street (Road 1).
Fort Taylor was constructed in 1845 as part of the Third Tier System of Defense which called for the establishment of masonry fortresses constructed along America’s coastline to prevent sea attacks upon the United States. This fort was an important . . . — Map (db m101356) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — GunroomsFort Jefferson — Dry Tortugas National Park —
The 8- and 10-inch columbiads were standard U.S. cannon for coast defense. They were cast-iron, muzzle-loading smoothbores. The 8-inch weighed 9,210 pounds and when elevated 4” threw a 65-pound ball about a mile. From the top of the fort, the . . . — Map (db m100238) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — In Memory of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd1833 - 1883 — Imprisoned Fort Jefferson, Florida (July 24, 1865) —
“...upon occasion of the prevalence of the yellow fever...Samuel A. Mudd devoted himself to the care and cure of the sick and interposed his courage and skill to protect the garrison...from peril and alarm, and thus...saved many valuable lives . . . — Map (db m9305) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-658 — Key West Armory
On White Street at Southard Street, on the left when traveling west on White Street.
This 1903 armory was described as "an unusual wood-frame building," and was one of the few armories built in the South due to lack of funds following the Civil War (1861-1865). The Italianate-style, Key West Armory incorporates an arched entrance, . . . — Map (db m85266) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-551 — Key West Cemetery
On Passover Lane at Angela Street, on the right when traveling north on Passover Lane.
Key West Cemetery was founded in 1847 following a hurricane the previous year that destroyed the earlier cemetery located near present day Higgs Beach. To protect from future flooding, the 19-acre cemetery was located here on Solares Hill, the . . . — Map (db m32660) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-814 — Key West Woman's ClubMartin Hellings House
The Martin Hellings House, constructed c. 1892 by Captain Martin L. Hellings, is one of only a few historic houses in Key West not built of wood. Hellings was a native of Pennsylvania and a Union soldier in the Civil War. In 1881, Hellings married . . . — Map (db m84718) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Mallory Homesite
On Front Street at Whitehead Street, on the left when traveling south on Front Street.
The home of Stephen Russell Mallory (1812-1873) stood near this site from 1839 to 1895 when it became U.S. Navy property. U.S. Senator from Florida from 1851 to 1861 and Chairman of the Naval Affairs Committee after 1853. As Secretary of the Navy in . . . — Map (db m84721) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Meacham Field
Near South Roosevelt Boulevard (State Road A1A) just east of Faraldo Circle.
The first regularly-scheduled international flight by a United States airline was made from here to Havana Oct. 28, 1927. This inaugurated Pan American World Airways, which later spread through the Caribbean, around South America, and across the . . . — Map (db m127807) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-916 — Milton W. Curry House, William Curry Homestead
On Caroline Street at Ann Street, on the left when traveling east on Caroline Street.
William J. Curry, born on Green Turtle Key in the Bahamas in 1821, immigrated to Key West in 1837. Curry homesteaded this lot in 1852 and was Key West’s leading merchant for forty years. Wm. Curry Sons’ maritime business amassed a fortune during the . . . — Map (db m127502) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-884 — Naval Depot and Storehouse-Building One-U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters
On Front Street at Whitehead Street, on the left when traveling north on Front Street.
On September 13, 1833, the United States government purchased this harbor-front lot. The Naval Depot was authorized by an Act of Congress on July 21, 1852. Capt. J.M. Scarritt and Lt. J.J. Philbrick supervised the construction of this building. By . . . — Map (db m128058) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Naval Station1823 - 1974
On Front Street at Caroline Street, on the right when traveling north on Front Street.
Commodore David Porter established a Naval Station here on April 3, 1823 as a Supply Base for his 17-ship Anti-Pirate Squadron. The Station remained in constant operation from that date until its disestablishment on March 31, 1974. Although its . . . — Map (db m26835) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Navy Club of Key West Monument
On Front Street at Whitehead Street, on the left when traveling south on Front Street.
Erected 1866 by the Navy Club of Key West To the Memory of the Officers, Sailors & Soldiers of the Army, Navy & Marine Corps of the United States who lost their lives in their Country's service upon this station from 1861 to . . . — Map (db m85331) WM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Navy Days at Fort JeffersonDry Tortugas National Park
In 1898, the U.S. battleship Maine sailed from this anchorage to her destruction in La Habana harbor. “Remember the Maine” became the rallying cry for the Spanish-American War that followed. The anchorage served the navy through . . . — Map (db m100241) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-601 — Old City Hall
On Greene Street at Ann Street, on the left when traveling west on Greene Street.
The City of Key West acquired this lot in 1871 and built a wood-frame city hall, dedicating it on July 4, 1876, during the nation’s Centennial. That building stood until it burned down in the devastating fire of 1886. The City then constructed this . . . — Map (db m84719) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-989 — Phillip L. Cosgrove House, 1872
On Whitehead Street just north of Eaton Street, on the right when traveling north.
Captain Phillip L. Cosgrove, Sr., commanded the U.S. lighthouse tender Mangrove, the first rescue ship to aid victims of the 1898 explosion of the U.S.S. Maine in Havana harbor. This house, acquired by Cosgrove in 1871, incorporates remnants of . . . — Map (db m127808) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-9 — Porter's Anti-Pirate Fleet
On Truman Avenue (State Road 5) at Elizabeth Street, on the right when traveling south on Truman Avenue.
An outbreak of piracy in 1822 prompted the United States to organize the West Indian Squadron, an anti-pirate fleet. Commanded by Commodore David Porter, the squadron in 1823 included 17 ships and 1,100 men based in Key West. For two years the . . . — Map (db m72739) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — Southernmost Point
On South Street, on the left when traveling south.
The Conch Republic 90 Miles to Cuba Southernmost Point Continental U.S.A Key West, FL Home of the Sunset — Map (db m4793) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-79 — St. Paul's Episcopal Church(1832)
On Duval Street at Eaton Street, on the right when traveling west on Duval Street.
Oldest in Florida Diocese, the present church (1912) is the fourth on this site. John Fleeming, one of the four original owners of the island, is buried here. His widow donated the property, stipulating that the church pews be free. Rectory built . . . — Map (db m84328) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — The Dry Tortugas, Home to a Myriad of LifeDry Tortugas National Park
These coral islands surrounded by warm water are ideal habitats for birds, turtles, shellfish, coral, fish, and other form of ocean life. Nearby Bush Key is a spectacle of sooty and noddy terns during their March to September nesting season. View . . . — Map (db m100242)
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — The History of the Southernmost Point
On South Street at Whitehead Street, on the left when traveling south on South Street.
In 1773 George Gauld, a British surveyor & cartographer, placed the Southernmost Point at 24°29'N latitude and 82°35'W longitude. At the time Cayo Hueso, now called Key West, was part of the Spanish Empire. John Simonton purchased the island . . . — Map (db m87412) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-546 — The Little White House
On Front Street at Caroline Street, on the right when traveling south on Front Street.
Built in 1890 as quarters for Navy officers, the Little White House later was used by American Presidents William Howard Taft, Harry S. Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton. Truman used the facility as a vacation . . . — Map (db m32655) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — The Little White House
On Front Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built in 1890 on the waterfront as a two-family dwelling for the base commandant and paymaster, this building was known as Quarters A and B. It was converted into a single-family residence in 1911. President William Howard Taft visited this site in . . . — Map (db m32659) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-724 — The Oldest Schoolhouse
On Duval Street at Eaton Street, on the left when traveling west on Duval Street.
Built about 1838 and moved to this location after the hurricane of 1846, the Patterson-Baldwin House is believed to be one of the oldest buildings in Key West. The Classical Revival style house is reputed to have been built, but never occupied, by . . . — Map (db m84333) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 68 — The Samuel O. Johnson House
On Eaton Street west of Bahama Street, on the right when traveling west.
Constructed in 1886 by Samuel Otis Johnson. The structure started out as a grocery and butcher shop as well as a residence. It was purchased in 1913 by Dr. William Richard Warren. Doctor Warren's medical offices consisted of the front porch used as . . . — Map (db m85272) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 6 — The Trev-Mor HotelCirca 1919 — Key West Historic Marker —
On Simonton Street north of Eaton Street, on the right when traveling north.
Built with bricks from Fort Taylor dating back to 1845, this building is one of Key West's first hotels. It featured a car dealership on the first floor and hotel rooms on the upper two floors. Ernest Hemingway and his wife stayed here in 1928, and . . . — Map (db m134524) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-907 — United States Weather Bureau
On Front Street at Eaton Street, on the right when traveling south on Front Street.
On February 9, 1870, a joint Congressional resolution authorized a national weather service. As one of the original observation stations, Key West was critical for weather forecasters. The Department of Agriculture purchased this lot in 1903 on the . . . — Map (db m127504) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — War of 1898On this site the Catholic Convent of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary was located
On Truman Avenue (U.S. 1) at Elizabeth Street, on the right when traveling north on Truman Avenue.
(side 1) In April of 1898 it was graciously offered and converted to a 400 bed United States Army Hospital for the treatment of soldiers and sailors, ill with dangerous tropical diseases or wounded in battle, during Cuba's War of . . . — Map (db m101295) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 54 — West Martello
On Atlantic Boulevard at White Street, on the left when traveling south on Atlantic Boulevard.
This structure is one of three Civil War era forts in Key West. They were built as a defensive chain around the island and support for Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas. No cannons were ever fired and no soldier died in battle at this . . . — Map (db m85261) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — F-990 — William Lowe Delaney/Theodore Holtsberg House
On Whitehead Street just north of Eaton Street, on the right when traveling north.
Connecticut mariner and wrecker Benjamin Sawyer built the first house on this property by 1844. From 1888-1890, much of Key West's port business took place in Sawyer's home, until the completion of the federal Custom House. Key West native and . . . — Map (db m127809) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Long Key — F-168 — Long Key Fishing Club
On Overseas Highway (U.S. 1) 2.4 miles south of Long Key Lake Drive, on the right when traveling north.
(side 1) Henry M. Flagler began construction of the Key West Extension of the Florida East Coast Railroad southward from Homestead in 1905. Despite destructive hurricanes in 1906, 1909, and 1910, the Key West Extension was completed in . . . — Map (db m72798) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Marathon — Seven-Mile Historic Bridge
On U.S. 1 at milepost 73, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 1.
Constructed between 1908 & 1912 as a railway bridge. The bridge was modified in 1935 for the use of automobiles until 1982. — Map (db m59076) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Marathon — F-721 — Stained Glass Windows of St. Columba Episcopal Church
On 52nd Street Gulf 0.1 miles north of Overseas Highway (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling north.
Established in 1955, St. Columba Episcopal Church has occupied this building since 1960. Between 1977 and 1982, nineteen dalle de verre, or faceted stained glass windows, were installed in the church. This technique uses thick pieces of colored . . . — Map (db m83331) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Summerland Key — F-901 — State Road 4A
On Overseas Highway (U.S. 1) 0.2 miles south of Horace Street, on the right when traveling south.
The first Overseas Highway, also known as State Road 4A (SR 4A), consisted of two roadway segments both completed by 1928. One spanned from Key West to No Name Key, and the other from Key Largo to Upper Matecumbe Key. Ferries transported cars . . . — Map (db m107043) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Tavernier — F-778 — Tavernier
On Albury Boulevard at Overseases Highway (U.S. 1), in the median on Albury Boulevard.
(side 1) What is today Tavenier was originally inhabited by the Calusa and Tequesta Native Americans. The Tequesta occupied the area around Biscayne Bay, while the Calusa inhabited Southwest Florida. In 1513, the Florida Keys were . . . — Map (db m129571) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Upper Matecumbe Key — F-266 — Florida East Coast Railroad Overseas Extension“The Railroad That Went to the Sea”
On Overseas Highway (U.S. 1) 1.8 miles south of Old U.S. 1, on the right when traveling south.
Oil magnate Henry M. Flagler first visited Florida in 1878. Realizing Florida’s potential for growth, he developed railroads and hotels which transformed the eastern seaboard. The Florida East Coast Railroad reached Miami in 1896 and soon was . . . — Map (db m72797) HM

58 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement