On Southeast 38th Avenue 0.2 miles north of U.S. 98/441, on the right when traveling north.
In these woods on Christmas Day 1837, was fought the Battle of Okeechobee, in which a large band of Seminole Indians, under Chief Wild Cat, Alligator, and Sam Jones was routed by a brigade led by Colonel Zachary Taylor, consisting of the First, . . . — — Map (db m97075) HM WM
On Northwest 2nd Street at Northwest 2nd Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Northwest 2nd Street.
In May 1915, Reverend William Troutman and seven founders established the First United Methodist Church (Methodist Episcopal Church South). The first church building was completed in 1916 on land donated by the Okeechobee Company, a Henry Flagler . . . — — Map (db m128659) HM
On Northwest 2nd St west of Northwest 3rd Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Okeechobee County was formed Aug. 7, 1917, from St. Lucie, Osceola and Palm Beach Counties. Long a haunt of the Seminoles, the area saw almost no white penetration until the 2nd Seminole War, 1835-42. Much fighting occurred in the county during the . . . — — Map (db m72601) HM
Near NE 39th Boulevard (Cemetery Road) (County Road 61) 1 mile east of U.S. 441, on the right when traveling east.
Peter Raulerson was born September 1, 1857, in Bartow, Florida. His family moved to Basinger in 1874 and, in 1877, Peter married Louisiana Chandler. In October 1896, Peter and Louisiana moved southeast to a region three miles north of Lake . . . — — Map (db m96036) HM
On Southwest 2nd Avenue at Southwest 9th Street, on the right when traveling north on Southwest 2nd Avenue.
This is the homesite of the first Euro-American settlers in this area, Peter and Louisiana Raulerson. The couple moved southeast from Basinger to "The Bend," a region along Onoshohatchee River (Taylor Creek) and a few miles north of Lake Okeechobee, . . . — — Map (db m135955) HM
On U.S. 98 at Northwest 18th Street, on the left when traveling north on U.S. 98.
The first school in the region north of Lake Okeechobee, known as “The Bend,” was a thatched-roof structure built around 1897. Homesteader Peter Raulerson and family did not have enough children old enough to support a school, and were . . . — — Map (db m128661) HM