In 1922, the Brooklyn Dodgers agreed to hold their spring training in Clearwater with the provision that the city would create an appropriate venue. The city broke ground on the Clearwater Athletic Field in December 1922 following the City Council’s . . . — — Map (db m102723) HM
On October 9, 1933 Clearwater's first government post office building was dedicated on this site with Postmaster General James A. Farley officiating. The local postmaster at the time was Charles R. Lee.
This Mediterranean-Revival style building . . . — — Map (db m44616) HM
The Class of 1992
The artist created "Endangered" from "found objects" of recycled metal, mostly chrome bumpers.
Students are the hope of the future, the environment and its preservation.
Paul . . . — — Map (db m4983) HM
Near this site was located the first public supported school within the present limits of the City of Clearwater. Known as the Taylor Schoolhouse, erected in 1854. The surnames of the pupils included Taylor, Turner, McMullen, Henderson, Johnson, . . . — — Map (db m67061) HM
Harbor Oaks was Clearwater's first planned residential development. Dean Alvord, a major developer in New York state, opened Harbor Oaks in 1914. Bringing modern planning concepts to the Pinellas County area, the development offered innovative . . . — — Map (db m50506) HM
Originally built circa 1925, the Magnolia Drive Dock was a Harbor Oaks landmark for many years as a neighborhood gathering spot for picnics, weddings, fishing, block parties, and relaxing evenings watching the sunsets. After standing for 68 years it . . . — — Map (db m3253) HM
Formed in 1912, Pinellas County quickly outgrew its original courthouse and in 1916 the Board of County Commissioners voted in favor of a $160,000 bond issue to finance the construction of a new courthouse and jail. Well-known architect Francis J. . . . — — Map (db m110672) HM
The Seminole Bridge was the original link to Clearwater Beach. Completed in 1917, the wooden bridge opened up access to the beach and paved the way for its first development. The bridge terminated where the Palm Pavilion stands today. It became . . . — — Map (db m3252) HM
The Blue Heron Hotel was built in 1917. Reverend Fred C. and Cora Markerts established Faith Mission in Tampa as a children's home in 1923. In 1928, it moved to Crystal Beach and occupied the Blue Heron. Faith Mission grew to peak occupancy of 87 . . . — — Map (db m110446) HM
Dedicated to the memory of Dr. Willis Stanley Blatchley, 1859-1940. Distinguished naturalist from Indiana, who from his home across the highway devoted twenty-seven winters, between 1913 and 1940, to the highly skillful exploration of the world of . . . — — Map (db m4733) HM
At the peak of the 1920s “land boom,” Dunedin Isles Golf Club was built to attract new residents to the City of Dunedin. Scotsman Donald Ross, one of the world’s foremost golf course architects, visited the site and designed the golf . . . — — Map (db m67685) HM
This Park contains an original Stage coach road known as Old Road 37
This was once the main road than ran from Clearwater to Tarpon Springs and dates back to the early 1920’s
Please come explore the old road — — Map (db m70728) HM
In 1888, this site was the original location of the Orange Belt Railway Station.
A newer station was built in 1900, but burned down.
The present station was built in 1924, and used by the Atlantic Coast Railroad Company until the railroad was . . . — — Map (db m111888) HM
Dedicated to the recipients of this nation’s oldest military decoration, “The Purple Heart”
Military Order of the Purple Heart 1782 • 1932
My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country’s way to show . . . — — Map (db m13956) HM
(Front side)The American's Creed I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people, whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a . . . — — Map (db m50509) HM
Built as the Hotel Rolyat in 1925, these Mediterranean Revival buildings originally were designed by Paul Reed of the Miami architectural firm of Kiehnel & Elliot for developer Jack Taylor. In 1929, after the collapse of the Florida land boom, the . . . — — Map (db m68134) HM
In 1895, Dr. Susan K. Whitford and other local women founded the Ozona Ladies Improvement Society, which focused on community development initiatives. Early meetings were held in members' homes, and it was quickly decided that a permanent meeting . . . — — Map (db m110868) HM
This area surrounding Pinellas Park's original train station has been a hub of activity since P.J. McDevitt arrived in 1909 to grow sugar cane. In 1912 one of Pinellas Park's pioneers, Walter Bender, built his home in the area now known as Davis . . . — — Map (db m68136) HM
This tree is reportedly the oldest living Live Oak Tree in Pinellas County and is estimated to be between 300 to 500 years old. This grand oak tree is registered with The Live Oak Society of the Louisiana Garden Club Federation, Inc. — — Map (db m3244) HM
Menendez, Spanish Governor of Florida, after building fort at St. Augustine (1565) came to this site in 1567 and persuaded the Indian Chief Tocobago and his 1500 braves who lived here, to accept Christianity. Menendez erected a blockhouse for a . . . — — Map (db m46671) HM
On Pentecost Sunday, May 26, 1539, Hernando de Soto sailed into Tampa Bay and named it “Bahia Espiritu Santo” (Holy Spirit Bay). A decade later it is believed that the famed Dominican missionary, Father Luis de Cancer, was martyred . . . — — Map (db m44277) HM
On May 18, 1539, Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto reached the shores of what is now Tampa Bay, landing near these mineral springs used by the native population for nearly 10,000 years. Believing he had found the legendary Fountain of Youth somehow . . . — — Map (db m44463) HM
As the first European settler in Pinellas County he established St. Helena Plantation, now Philippe Park Philippe was the first to cultivate grapefruit in Florida and introduced cigar-making to Tampa His descendants populated this frontier. . . . — — Map (db m13637) HM
On this promontory Count Odet Philippe, a native of Lyon, France, and surgeon in the French Armed Forces under Napoleon Bonaparte settled in 1842, arriving at this point in his sailing vessel "The Ney." In this area he established St. Helena, his . . . — — Map (db m13639) HM
Initially served by the Jesuits from Sacred Heart in Tampa, a small wood-frame chapel named “St. Mary” was built at the northwest corner of Sixth Street and Fifth Avenue South in 1908. By 1913, a new and larger brick church was . . . — — Map (db m40486) HM
After purchasing ten acres of scrub pine and swamp in 1922, Bishop Barry of St. Augustine directed the pastor of St. Mary’s in downtown to begin construction of a school building on this not-so-promising site. Construction began in 1925 and Sunday . . . — — Map (db m40484) HM
For 10,000 years, Indians hunted the prairies and fished the waters
of what later became Pass-A-Grille. The last group of Native
Americans to settle in the Pinellas County area were the Tocobagas
around 1000-1700 A.D. This are was first visited . . . — — Map (db m59486) HM
In 1783, while updating Gulf Coast navigational charts, Jose Antonio de Evia (b. 1740), a Spanish naval officer, visited a Spanish fishing camp located on this site. He called it “Rancho de Juaquin.” Artifacts from the 18th and early . . . — — Map (db m49507) HM
Of the many distinguished military men who came from abroad to fight for the independence of the American colonies, Kosciuszko was among the very first. In August 1776, only months after the Declaration of Independence has been signed, the . . . — — Map (db m75249) HM
This city park is located on the site of the first railroad pier in St. Petersburg, built by Peter Demens in 1889. Peter Demens (pronounced de-MANS) was a Russian nobleman, Pyotr Dementyev, who left Russia in 1881, came to Florida, and changed his . . . — — Map (db m4666) HM
At this intersection November 12, 1914 John Evans a black laborer from Dunnellon FL was lynched condemned by a secret council of fifteen of St. Petersburg's most influential citizens. He was then turned over to a mob of fifteen hundred white . . . — — Map (db m64413) HM
"God Gave Us Sons:
We Gave Them To Country
And Our Country Gave Them
Back To God."
Crenshaw Caswell 1st Lt. F. A.
James Abel 2nd Lt. Inf.
Lewis N. Brantley
George Donaldson Griffin . . . — — Map (db m99442) WM
In Memory Of Those
Who Made The
For Their Country
In World War II
Erected By The
Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice
In World . . . — — Map (db m99451) WM
In 1923 construction began on Soren Lund's "Million Dollar" Mediterranean Revival hotel. Prominent features were its clay-tiled roof, rough textured stucco, baroque-type arched entrance and sqraffito decorations. It encompassed the north half of the . . . — — Map (db m50565) HM
Oldest church in Pinellas County, it was organized April 20, 1887. It was constructed in the summer of 1887 by a handful of pioneers equipped with crude tools. Built of unturpentined pine, the church records indicate first building cost $673. Dr. . . . — — Map (db m50444) HM
On January 1, 1914, the "aeroplane" was demonstrated as a viable means of commercial transportation with the inaugural flight of the St. Petersburg-Tampa Airboat Line, the world's first regularly scheduled commercial airline. Piloted by Tony H. . . . — — Map (db m50378) HM
In 1526 Juan Ortiz, a member of the expedition sent from Cuba to find Panfilo De Narvaez, was captured by Timucan Indians. Chief Hirrihigua, their ruler, hated the white men because of the violence of Narvaez. Juan Ortiz was condemned to death but . . . — — Map (db m50463) HM
The United States Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to All Veterans • Past • Present • Future
1775 • ----
I am the Star Spangled Banner .....
. . . — — Map (db m99441) WM
(Front plaque)From this site The St. Petersburg-Tampa Airboat Line The World's First Scheduled Airline Began regular flights between St. Petersburg and Tampa, January 1, 1914. ⋆ This plaque and site dedicated December 4, . . . — — Map (db m50437) HM
Within a decade after the famous Wright Brothers' 1903 flight, aviation history was being made in Florida. The first transcontinental flight landed at Jacksonville in 1912, a naval air training center opened at Pensacola in 1913, and the St. . . . — — Map (db m50438) HM
Rose Cemetery, also known as Rose Hill Cemetery, established in the early 1900s as a segregated cemetery, is the oldest African-American cemetery in Pinellas County. Located on approximately five acres of land, the cemetery reflects the social . . . — — Map (db m53993) HM
In 1888 land was donated for a Catholic church by former Arizona Governor Anson P.K. Safford. A small 28' x 18' mission chapel named St. Ignatius was built by Judge John D. Murphy on Lemon Street the following year, and on May 20, 1889, Father . . . — — Map (db m103942) HM
Marker Front: The Gulf waters off the west coast of Florida north of Tampa Bay comprise one of the few areas of the world where the species of natural sponges suitable for commercial use are found. The natural sponge industry in Tarpon . . . — — Map (db m53982) HM
A large Indian burial mound was built near this spot about 1500 A.D. It was used for some years by the inhabitants of a nearby Safety Harbor culture village, Indians who were among the ancestors of the later Tocobaga tribe. Excavation in 1961 by . . . — — Map (db m112512) HM