Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Polk County Florida Historical Markers

 
"Flatiron" Triangle Building Marker on wall of building image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2014
"Flatiron" Triangle Building Marker on wall of building
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — "Flatiron" Triangle Building — Circa 1912
Because this building occupies a corner position on a triangular shaped lot, it has been historically referred to as the "flatiron" building, deriving its nickname from the triangular shaped electric clothing press irons popularized in the 1920's. . . . — Map (db m93173) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Auburndale City Hall — 1927
The City of Auburndale was incorporated in 1911 and obtained a $60,000 bond in 1926 to construct a new city hall. Four proposed sites were presented as possible locations for the building until, after some indecisions, the City purchased a lot from . . . — Map (db m93171) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Bayard Retail Building — Circa 1926
Ephraim M. Baynard built several commercial buildings and at least two residences in the City of Auburndale. Following a great fire in 1915 that destroyed the business district of Auburndale, Baynard eventually rebuilt his commercial building . . . — Map (db m93170) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — City's First Fire Engine — Chief James A. Hancock Jr. Building
This 1925 American LaFrance fire engine with its polished wooden bed and steering wheel, rare Italian tires and black leather seat was delivered to the City of Auburndale on June 23, 1925 via freight train. The City's first fire engine stayed in . . . — Map (db m93176) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Ephraim M. Baynard House — 1894
Ephraim M. Baynard, born in South Carolina in 1861, arrived in Auburndale soon after its founding. By 1893, he owned one of the general stores in the community and acreage planted in citrus and tomatoes. As a highly successful grower, Baynard owned . . . — Map (db m93193) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Ephraim M. Baynard House — 1894
Ephraim M. Baynard, born in South Carolina in 1861, arrived in Auburndale soon after its founding. By 1893, he owned one of the general stores in the community and acreage planted in citrus and tomatoes. As a highly successful grower, Baynard owned . . . — Map (db m93194) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Patterson Retail Building — Circa 1916
Nearly all of the early commercial buildings in Auburndale were constructed from wood. As a result, three fires destroyed the heart of Auburndale's business sector in 1912, 1913, and 1915. The fire of 1913 was magnified by a great explosion that . . . — Map (db m93174) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Seaboard Air Line Rail Depot — 1927
The Seaboard Air Line Rail and the Atlantic Coast Line Rail played a major role in the development of the City of Auburndale, intersecting each other in the City and bringing passengers and commerce from around the State and Country to central . . . — Map (db m93175) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bartow — Co E 7th Florida Inf Regt South Florida Bulldogs — CSA — 1861 – Deo Vindice – 1865
(Front face) In memory of the 79 militia men under command of Cpt Nathan S. Blount who marched from this site to Gainesville to muster into the CS Army rendering gallant service from April 10, 1862 - April 26, 1865 (Rear face) . . . — Map (db m56923) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bartow — Fort Carroll
One mile north of here, a stockade type depot was erected by a detail of the 7th Infantry, U.S.A. while on a march to the Kissimmee River. Built Jan. 22, 1841, it was named in honor of Sergeant-Major Francis Carroll who suffered a hero’s death at . . . — Map (db m95179) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bartow — F-590 — Historic L. B. Brown House — ca. 1892
The L. B. Brown House was built in 1892, during the period of Bartow's initial development. It is a good example of Frame Vernacular construction typical of that period. This house is decorated with intricate mill work and gingerbread. The house has . . . — Map (db m63181) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bartow — 11000718 — Mann Manor
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department Of The Interior — Map (db m56896) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bartow — F-549 — Old Polk County Courthouse
Polk County was established February 8, 1861 formed from eastern Hillsborough County and western Brevard County and comprised one of two counties created after the state's secession from the union. Polk County was named after James Knox Polk the . . . — Map (db m54003) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bartow — Site of Fort Blount
. . . — Map (db m54085) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bartow — Swearingen - Langford House — 690 E. Church St. — c. 1925
Built in 1925 for John J. Swearingen, Florida attorney, State Senator, Spanish-American War veteran, and wife Mary Harding Rainey. Later the home of daughter Katherine Swearingen Langford and her husband Richard H. Langford, prominent citrus grower . . . — Map (db m56920) HM
Florida (Polk County), Dundee — F-458 — The Railroad in Dundee History
The Dundee Passenger Depot, built ca. 1912, was the first depot on the Haines City to Sebring Line of The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. Most of Dundee’s early growth can be attributed to the railroad. With the advent of the railroad, the . . . — Map (db m93192) HM
Florida (Polk County), Fort Meade — 76000605 — Christ Church — Episcopal
Built 1889 National Register of Historic Places May 6, 1976 — Map (db m57033) HM
Florida (Polk County), Fort Meade — Florida 2000 Center of Population
Each decade, after it tabulates the decennial census, the U.S. Census Bureau calculates the center of population for the U.S. and each state. The center is determined as the place where an imaginary, flat, weightless and rigid map of each state . . . — Map (db m57223) HM
Florida (Polk County), Fort Meade — Fort Meade Veterans Memorial
This memorial is to honor all U.S. military veterans for serving our country with honor & self sacrifice to insure the freedom of the greatest country in the world United States of America Dedicated Nov. 11, 2006 American . . . — Map (db m57357) WM
Florida (Polk County), Fort Meade — Lt. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson Memorial — 1861 – Deo Vindice – 1865
(Front face) In memory of Lt. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson 21 Jan. 1824 - 10 May 1863 Com. 2d Corps. Army of Northern Va., CSAGraduated from West Point US Military Academy 1846 ⋆ Breveted Major for Gallantry in the Mexican War . . . — Map (db m57030) HM
Florida (Polk County), Fort Meade — Site of Fort Meade
Built by Lt. George G. Meade who later became commanding general of the Union Forces during the Civil War. Headquarters of a military area during the Seminole Indian War 1849-1858. Near here were fought several engagements with the . . . — Map (db m56924) HM
Florida (Polk County), Fort Meade — F-780 — The W. Henry Lewis House
This house was built in 1901 by pioneer cattleman, financier, and philanthropist W. Henry Lewis (1860-1940). Lewis was born in Thomasville, GA, and came to Florida as a young man. He married Sallie Singletary in 1887. Six of their children lived to . . . — Map (db m110867) HM
Florida (Polk County), Fort Meade — Willoughby Tillis Battle Monument
(West face) A group of United States Army soldiers led by Lt. Carlton engaged the Seminole Indians in what is known as the Willoughby Tillis Battle in this vicinity on June 14-16, 1856. These five men who lost their lives in this engagement . . . — Map (db m57248) HM
Florida (Polk County), Frostproof — Site of Fort Clinch
One of a chain of Seminole Indian War forts 1849-1858. Several men served at this post who later gained prominence in the Civil War. Among these were Generals George G. Meade, A.P. Hill, and "Stonewall" Jackson. Garrisoned by 1st., 7th Inf. U.S. . . . — Map (db m95108) HM
Florida (Polk County), Haines City — 137 N. Sixth Street
137 N. Sixth Street Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Built 1916 — Map (db m51502) HM
Florida (Polk County), Haines City — 19 N. Sixth Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m51505) HM
Florida (Polk County), Haines City — 600 E. Hinson Avenue
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m51506) HM
Florida (Polk County), Haines City — 607 Jones Avenue
607 Jones Avenue Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1927 — Map (db m51507) HM
Florida (Polk County), Haines City — Consolidated Arcade
Consolidated Arcade 23-37 N. Sixth Street Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Built 1925 — Map (db m51508) HM
Florida (Polk County), Haines City — Haines City Masonic Lodge
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m51511) HM
Florida (Polk County), Haines City — Haines City Railroad Depot
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m51532) HM
Florida (Polk County), Haines City — Originally the State Bank of Haines City
Originally the State Bank of Haines City Established in 1913 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m51503) HM
Florida (Polk County), Haines City — Polk Arcade
Polk Arcade 609 - 613 Jones Avenue Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1927 — Map (db m51504) HM
Florida (Polk County), Haines City — St. Mark's Episcopal Church
St. Mark's Episcopal Church Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Established 1892 — Map (db m51536) HM
Florida (Polk County), Haines City — Wray Building
Wray Building 39 North 6th Street Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior circa 1921 — Map (db m51527) HM
Florida (Polk County), Highland City — Fort Fraser
In this immediate vicinity was the site of Fort Fraser. Established by General Zachary Taylor November, 1837 on his march against the Seminoles culminating in the Battle of Okeechobee. Erected by the Fourth Infantry and garrisoned by the Second . . . — Map (db m95102) HM
Florida (Polk County), Homeland — F-719 — Historic Kissengen Spring
Historic Kissengen Spring is located approximately one mile north of this location. At one time the spring discharged up to 20 million gallons of water a day into the Peace River. The spring’s pool was 200 feet in diameter and reached a depth of 17 . . . — Map (db m67655) HM
Florida (Polk County), Homeland — 07000001 — Homeland School — Typical Wooden Pioneer School — Oldest Surviving School in Polk County   1878-1956
Homeland School Building — 1878 — Has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m57310) HM
Florida (Polk County), Kathleen — PCHC-021 — Socrum
Settlers from Georgia and the Carolinas began arriving in the Socrum area in the 1840s, before the creation of Polk County in 1861. In August 1851, preaching with baptism was offered at Wm. T. Rushing's homestead at Indian Pond, named for Seminole . . . — Map (db m104024) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lake Alfred — Fort Cummings
Approximately 1½ miles west of here near the shore of Lake Alfred is the site of Fort Cummings Named for Col. Alexander Cummings of the Fourth Infantry. Established January 22, 1839 and occupied by detachments of the . . . — Map (db m95205) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lake Wales — Fort Gardiner
A few miles east of here, on the banks of the Kissimmee River stood Fort Gardiner. Named for Captain George Washington Gardiner who died in the Dade Massacre in 1835. Established December 2, 1837 by Colonel Zachary Taylor on his march to the Battle . . . — Map (db m95056) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lake Wales — Old Indian Trails — Fort Gardner — 1837
On Kissimmee River sixteen miles northeast of Lake Wales government trail leading to fort crosses highway between Gum Lakes. Lake Rosalee, where Seminole Indians stopped before moving to Everglades, is near this trail. — Map (db m95053) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — 320th Bombardment Group (M)
When Drane Field opened during World War II, the first combat-bound Air Force unit to train here was the 320th Bombardment Group (M), flying B-26 Marauder medium bombers. The Group arrived here August 7, 1942, after having been activated at MacDill . . . — Map (db m93357) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — F-52 — Acton Community
In 1884, a group of Englishmen established Acton, named after English author Lord Acton, two miles east of Lakeland. Acton lasted from 1884 until 1894 when its residents scattered after the great freeze. During its decade of existence the town had . . . — Map (db m51543) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — PCHC-016 — Circle B Bar Ranch
The shore of Lake Hancock was home to this region's first settlers. In 1949, Al and Betty Bellotto bought a portion of this property and founded the Cattle B Bar Ranch. Their success in the citrus and cattle industries and desire to conserve open . . . — Map (db m94176) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — Lodwick School of Aeronautics
On September 14, 1940, the Lodwick School of Aeronautics began flight instruction in Lakeland by contract with the United States Army Air Corps. Owned and operated by Albert Irvin Lodwick, the school had an initial enrollment of 40 cadets, a peak . . . — Map (db m94173) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — Munn Park
Munn Park was established in 1884 as a town square in Lakeland's first subdivision, the original Munn's Subdivision. Later the entire block was dedicated by Abraham Munn as a "Public Square" in perpetuity, to forever remain in public ownership. . . . — Map (db m53649) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — Munn Park Historic District
The Munn Park Historic District contains the area's largest concentration of early commercial buildings and public spaces. The development of the district spans the entire history of Lakeland with the first major settlement beginning in 1885. The . . . — Map (db m53647) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — Polk County Confederate Monument — CSA — 1861      1865
Confederate Dead (Left face) In memory of that noble band, who have crossed the mystic stream, and are resting now in that happy land, where peace and pleasure reight supreme. The heroic deeds will never fade, from memory's brightest . . . — Map (db m54454) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — 93000446 — Polk Theatre and Office Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m53623) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — Second Mass. Infantry Camp — May 17-30, 1898
Camp Massachusetts, one of the five encampments in Lakeland during the Spanish-American War, bordered part of Lake Morton. Pvt. Wesley S. Brass, of Company I, died here and was given "a funeral that Marshal of France might have deserved..." The 71st . . . — Map (db m51437) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — PCHC-019 — The Carpenters' Home
The Carpenters' Home was the retirement home for members of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America from 1929 to 1976. The Union completed the purchase of the 1,684 acre site in April 1924. Costing $632,393, the site included 594 . . . — Map (db m100435) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — F-275 — The Frank Lloyd Wright Campus of Florida Southern College
At Florida Southern College is located the largest collection of buildings on one site ever created by Frank Lloyd Wright, one of America's foremost architects. Wright's plan for the campus is the only tangible example of his community planning . . . — Map (db m13632) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — The Oates Building
    The Oates Building is a prime example of Florida "Boom Time" architecture, expressed in the Mediterranean Revival style. Built in 1925 by Mr. Alvah Y. Oates, the building was designed by noted Florida and local architect E.C. . . . — Map (db m55289) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — F-457 — The Sorosis Club Building
In 1922 the Sorosis Club or sorority, a women's club in Lakeland, was organized. Named after the first incorporated women's club in America, the Sorosis Club of New York, the Sorosis Club's mission included service to the community, as well as . . . — Map (db m51933) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — F-414 — The Women's Club of Lakeland — 59 Lake Morton Drive
The Women’s Club of Lakeland was organized in 1912. In 1923 the club purchased this property as the site for its clubhouse. W.B.Talley, a Lakeland architect, designed this colonial revival building in 1927 and in 1928 construction was completed by . . . — Map (db m67657) HM
Florida (Polk County), Mulberry — Cecil B. Strange
In memorium to Cecil B. Strange An outstanding citizen who served his community with earnest endeavor and diligent work for community beautification, industrial reclamation and national conservation. Respected and loved by his fellow men . . . — Map (db m5015) HM
Florida (Polk County), Mulberry — Historical Citrus Planting
Historical Citrus Planting March 14, 1959. Site of first experimental planting of citrus on reclaimed phosphate mining land. The project was originated and executed by William James Menear, land manager, Virginia-Carolina Chemical Corporation. — Map (db m4980) HM
Florida (Polk County), Mulberry — Phosphate Area War Memorial
A memorial to the phosphate area war dead. — Map (db m5011) HM
Florida (Polk County), Mulberry — PCHC-018 — Pierce
On this site stood the phosphate mining town of Pierce. It was one of many company-owned mining towns and villages that once populated Polk County. Pierce was started in April 1906 by the Pierce Phosphate Company. This company was acquired in . . . — Map (db m100904) HM
Florida (Polk County), Mulberry — The Mulberry Time Capsule
This marker commemorates the dedication of the Mulberry Time Capsule. The capsule was placed here on June 12, 1977 by the Greater Mulberry Chamber of Commerce. The capsule will be opened in the year 2076 to view the mememtoes of the 1976 . . . — Map (db m4984) HM
Florida (Polk County), Mulberry — The Mulberry Tree
This tree replaces the original hundred year old tree that was the "mail drop" for the Bone Valley area before the city of Mulberry, "The Phospate Center of the World" was incorporated in 1901. — Map (db m4981) HM
Florida (Polk County), Polk City — Green Pond Baptist Church and Cemetery
The community that developed here was named Green Pond by A.T. Williams, because it reminded him of his home in Green Pond, SC. Early settlers Leroy Smith, Stephen Hancock, George Ritter, R.W. Hammond, and J.B. Rushing, donated land for a church, . . . — Map (db m99923) HM
Florida (Polk County), Winter Haven — Chief Chipco
In memory of Chief Chipco Lover of peace Friend of the white man His Seminole Indian village was located on Bonars Island in Lake Hamilton 1855 Dedicated by Ponce De Leon Chapter Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m43264) HM
Florida (Polk County), Winter Haven — F-675 — Florence Villa Training School — 1924-1925
The Florence Villa Training School for Negroes replaced an earlier African-American school built in 1916 on the corner of 2nd and Palmetto Street. By 1922 the first school was in disrepair and classes were held at the Colored Methodist Episcopal . . . — Map (db m93191) HM
Florida (Polk County), Winter Haven — F-605 — Historic Pughsville Neighborhood
Pughsville was one of Winter Haven's earliest neighborhoods, populated predominately by African Americans. These individuals cleared land and settled in what is now the southwest section of the city. For many decades, Pughsville remained a vibrant . . . — Map (db m24588) HM

66 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement