On South Main Street (U.S. 441) at West Smith Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street.
Atkinson County was created by an act of the Georgia legislature in 1917, out of lands previously in Clinch and Coffee Counties.
The county was organized Jan. 1, 1918. The first officers were J.W. Roberts, Ordinary; Wiley M. Sumner, Clerk . . . — — Map (db m106274) HM
On U.S. 221 at Kinnaird Trail (County Road 29), on the right when traveling south on U.S. 221.
Kinnaird Trail, considered the oldest public road in Wiregrass Georgia, follows an Indian trail used before white men came to this country. In Revolutionary days, it was named Kinnaird Trail as the route was used by Indians and traders travelling . . . — — Map (db m26019) HM
On East Carter Avenue at North Church Street, on the left when traveling east on East Carter Avenue.
Here, about 1873, on Lot No. 1, S.J. Henderson built the first residence in Pearson, then the terminus of the Brunswick and Albany R. R. Successively the home of prominent families in early Pearson history, in 1905 it became the residence of Martin . . . — — Map (db m53174) HM
On Salem Church Road (County Route 29) 0.5 miles east of U.S. 221, on the left when traveling east.
Salem Church was built in 1889 on the Kinnaird Trail -– an Indian pathway that later became a stagecoach relay station. Martin S. Corbett was born here on 5-12-1840 and married cousin, Leonora Wealtha Pafford on 11-26-1867. Their home was . . . — — Map (db m53290) HM