Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Baldwin County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Marker is just to left of reddish colored bush in front of Georgia Military College. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, April 30, 2017
Marker is just to left of reddish colored bush in front of Georgia Military College.
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Alexis de Tocqueville
The 25 year-old French aristocrat and author of Democracy in America visited this area during his 1831-1832 tour of America — Map (db m13143) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Baldwin County Veterans Memorial
Veterans Memorial "Flame of Freedom" Dedicated to the veterans of all wars from Milledgeville and Baldwin County on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the American Legion March 15, 1969 {Lower . . . — Map (db m103160) WM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-10 — Birthplace of Charles Holmes Herty(1867-1938)
Charles Holmes Herty, one of America’s outstanding chemists, was born on this site December 4, 1867. He spent his early life in Milledgeville where he attended the Middle Georgia Agricultural and Military College (now Georgia College). Later he . . . — Map (db m36294) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-1 — Brown-Stetson-Sanford House
This Milledgeville Federal-style house was built c. 1825 on North Wilkinson Street for George T. Brown by English-born builder-architect John Marlor. It was operated as the U.S. Hotel and then the Beecher-Brown Hotel to serve visitors and . . . — Map (db m13141) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-14 — Campsite of Union Army<------<<<<
The Union Army of 65,000 men under the command of General Wm. T. Sherman left Atlanta on November 15, 1864. Only the left wing of 30,000 men entered Milledgeville. The advance units arrived here on the 22nd. The right wing marched via Clinton and . . . — Map (db m35995) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Carl Vinson • Mary Green VinsonNov.18, 1883 - June 1, 1981     Sept. 19, 1887 - Nov. 16, 1950
Carl Vinson, native son, farmer, lawyer, statesman, served in the United States Congress for 50 years; Chairman of the Naval Affairs Committee; Chairman of the Armed Services Committee; an advocate for Military Preparedness; He was credited with . . . — Map (db m42626) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Cedar Lane Cemetery
In 1997 a cemetery restoration began here that triggered a movement to memorialize patients buried at state psychiatric hospitals nationwide. After discovering nearby neglected cemeteries interred some 25,000 people, members of the Georgia Consumer . . . — Map (db m53826) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-28 — Cemetery Square
This square was reserved for public use in the city's original survey and became the site of early church buildings. One hundred yards south of this point is a stone marking the site of the first Methodist Church erected in Georgia west of the . . . — Map (db m53076) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-12 — Cobb's Quarter, Sherman's Campsite
Marching toward Milledgeville via Covington, Shady Dale and Eatonton Factory, the Union Army's 14th Corps reached this crossroad on the night of November 22, 1864. General Sherman camped at the Howell Cobb place, a few yards north of this point. . . . — Map (db m13136) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-30 — De Soto in Georgia
In May 1539 Hernando de Soto landed in Florida with over 600 people, 220 horses and mules, and a herd reserved for famine. Fired by his success in Pizarro's conquest of Peru, De Soto had been granted the rights, by the King of Spain, to explore, . . . — Map (db m27275) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Dr Charles Holmes Herty Statesman -Chemist
Dr Charles Holmes Herty Statesman - chemist Born on this spot Dec 4, 1867 By his leadership He had made America Chemically self sufficient He has unselfishly Given his time and Talent to develop Georgia's natural resources . . . — Map (db m91823) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-3 — Flannery O'Connor's Andalusia Farm
Andalusia was the home of writer Flannery O’Connor from 1951 until her death in 1964. Born in Savannah in 1925, O’Connor and her family moved to Milledgeville in 1940. O’Connor left Georgia for a time, but returned to Milledgeville in 1951 after . . . — Map (db m8982) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-23 — Fort Wilkinson
Three hundred yards east of this point stood Ft. Wilkinson, established in 1797 on Georgia's Indian boundary. Garrisoned by soldiers whose families lived outside the stockade, it was an early trading house where Creek Indians were provided . . . — Map (db m13140) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-4 — Georgia's Secession Convention
On January 16, 1861, the Georgia Secession Convention met here to consider seceding from the United States. Secession began in response to Abraham Lincoln's election as president the previous November and the belief that his Republican party was . . . — Map (db m42603) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-17 — Howell Cobb Plantation
Site of the large Baldwin County plantation of Howell Cobb, one of the 'Great Georgia Triumvirate' of Stephens, Toombs and Cobb, and his wife, the former Mary Ann Lamar. Born at Cherry Hill in Jefferson County, Georgia Sept. 7, 1815, he graduated . . . — Map (db m13137) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — In Commemoration of Marquis De Lafayette
In Commemoration of Marquis De Lafayette and his visit to Georgia's Capital March 27-29, 1825. Monday March 28 a ball and supper were given in his honor in the State House and a barbecue was . . . — Map (db m103176) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Jarrett Springs
Jarrett Springs formerly know as Commissioner Springs, flows in an enclosed structure about 40 yards on adjacent land. In 1803 , because of the abundant and clear water supply, this site was selected by the Georgia Legislature as the . . . — Map (db m43164) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-13 — Junction of 20th and 14th Corps
With the right wing of his army in the vicinity of Clinton and Macon, General Sherman, with the left wing, appeared at this point on November 23, 1864. The left wing, consisting of the 20th and 14th corps, was comprised of 30,000 men, 12,000 horses . . . — Map (db m35832) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No 3, F. & A. M.
This is the oldest Masonic building in Georgia with continuous usage since its dedication on June 24, 1834. Funded through a state authorized lottery and constructed by John Marlor (also one of its architects with Samuel Tucker and James Doyle), . . . — Map (db m36729) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Memory Hill Cemetery
As part of the Historic District of Milledgeville has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m42312) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Milledgeville Confederate Monument
South(Front) CSA This tribute to the memory of the Confederate Soldier, unveiled April 26, 1912. West His heroism, in the presence of the conquering foe was equaled only by his . . . — Map (db m103412) WM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-24 — Milledgeville State Hospital
In 1837, largely through the influence of Tomlinson Fort and William A. White, the legislature appropriated $20,000 for a dormitory near Milledgeville where the state’s mentally ill could receive custodial care. A four-story building was opened on . . . — Map (db m13135) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-7 — Montpelier<------<<<<
This church is named Montpelier after Fort Montpelier of 1794, 1/2 mi. below here down the Oconee. This fort & others were built during the Creek Indian troubles. Capt. Jonas Fouche was ordered to guard the Ga. frontier from the mouth of the Tugaloo . . . — Map (db m36103) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-5 — Old Fort Fidius>>>-- 1793-1797 -->
The first settlement in this section was made up of four frame houses, a dozen or more cabins and a fort. It was called Federal town. Many of the soldiers died so a new fort was built several miles up the river and named Fort Fidius. It was located . . . — Map (db m36323) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Old Fort Wilkinson
Where treaty of limits took place between the United States and Creek Nation of Indians June 16 1802, ratified June 11 1803 this treaty was signed by James Wilkinson Benjamin Hawkins, Andrew Pickins. Commissioners on the part of the United . . . — Map (db m43166) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-1B — Old Governor’s Mansion
Completed in 1838, The Executive Mansion was the fifth and last resident occupied by Georgia governors when Milledgeville was the capital of Georgia. The Palladian-inspired structure is considered one of the most perfect examples of Georgian . . . — Map (db m36124) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-21 — Old Oglethorpe University
This is the site of the antebellum college established in the community of Midway by the Hopewell Presbytery in 1833. Its first president, Carlisle P. Beman, was succeded by Samuel K. Talmage. In 1861, students and faculty entered Confederate . . . — Map (db m10803) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-1A — Old State Capitol>>>>--- 2 Blocks --->
A reproduction of Georgia’s State Capitol 1807-1867 stands on the original site. Wings to the main building were added in 1828 and 1837. Here the Secession Convention met Jan. 16, 1861 and after three days of bitter debate passed the secession act. . . . — Map (db m36405) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-16 — Provost Guard Campsite
The 3rd Wisconsin and the 107th New York Regiments, having been detailed for provost duty, encamped on this square, November 22-25, 1864. The State Arsenal on the north side of the square was burned. The magazine, which stood on the opposite side, . . . — Map (db m13139) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Rear Admiral John W. Wilcox
To The Memory of Rear Adm. John W. Wilcox, Jr. Born Midway Ga. Mar 22, 1882 Commander of Battle Ships Atlantic Fleet U.S. Navy Lost at sea from his flagship the U.S.S. Washington on Mar 27, 1942 off Sabel Island, N. Atlantic . . . — Map (db m52109) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-11 — Route of the Twentieth Corps
On the morning of Nov. 23, 1864, the main body of the 20th Corps of the Union Army, commanded by Gen. A. S. Williams, reached Milledgeville from Eatonton. The Corps marched down Jackson Street to this point where companies were formed into line. . . . — Map (db m35712) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-26 — Sacred Heart Catholic Church
The first Catholic mass was celebrated at Milledgeville in April, 1845, at the Hugh Treanor apartment in the Newell Hotel. Bishop Ignatius Reynolds of the diocese of Charleston, accompanied by Father J. F. O’Neill, visited here in 1847. In 1850 this . . . — Map (db m36357) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Site of Fort Defiance1794
Rendezvous of followers of General Elijah Clarke in the Trans-Oconee Country. — Map (db m36500) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-8 — St. Stephens Episcopal Church
This Church was organized in 1841 through the efforts of Bishop Stephen Elliott. The church building was completed in 1843 and consecrated Dec. 10. The vestibule, annex and Gothic roof were added later. The handmade chancel furniture was given by an . . . — Map (db m36104) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-29 — State College
Largely through the efforts of William Y. Atkinson the Georgia Normal and Industrial College was founded in 1889 with J. Harris Chappell as the first president. It became a degree-granting institution in 1917 and included a liberal arts program. The . . . — Map (db m36361) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — L16 — State House Square"...pretty well ransacked and things torn up generally." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
This 20-acre square as the center of Georgia's state government and location of its capitol building from 1807 until 1868. The "State House," imposing Gothic edifice that dominates the square contained the offices of the governor and the chambers of . . . — Map (db m103227) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-19 — Statehouse Square
On this tract of twenty acres was built the Statehouse, the original wing of which was completed in 1811. Later additions were made until 1835 when it was finished in its present form. Near the Statehouse stood the Arsenal and the Magazine, brick . . . — Map (db m36404) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — The Allen Strain
In grateful commemoration of the contribution to agriculture by Drs. Henry Dawson and Edwin Whitaker, Allen, Brothers, of Baldwin County, Georgia, in the discovery, improvement and dissemination, 1920-1940, . . . — Map (db m103162) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-20 — The Great Seal of Georgia»—→
When Federal troops entered Milledgeville in November, 1864, Georgia Secretary of State Nathan C. Barnett hid the Great Seal under a house and the legislative minutes in a pig pen 30 yards east of this point. Later they were returned to the . . . — Map (db m36358) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-18 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his army [US] into two wings. The Right Wing (15th . . . — Map (db m35533) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — The Methodist Church(Milledgeville, Georgia)
This marks the original site of the Methodist Church erected about the year 1805. Bishop Asbury and Bishop McKendree in 1815 held here a conference which James O. Andrew attended. Bishop Capers, Dr. Lovick Pierce, and many other . . . — Map (db m42773) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-2 — The Milledgeville Hotel and Oliver Hardy
On this corner stood the Milledgeville Hotel built in 1858 while Milledgeville served as Georgia's capital. In 1903 Emily Norvell Hardy took over management of the hotel. She moved into the hotel with her two youngest children, including . . . — Map (db m15373) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — L14 — The Old Governor's Mansion"Utmost Disorder and Confusion" — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Construction of this Executive Mansion was authorized in 1835 and completed in 1839. The governor's earlier residence, Government House, just to the south on the corner of Clarke and Greene Streets, had fallen into disrepair. The Mansion is . . . — Map (db m103230) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-22 — The Rock Landing>>>------>
Five miles south of this point is the Rock Landing at the head of navigation on the Oconee River and at the junction of the old Indian trading paths leading westward. In 1789 Pres. Washington sent Gen. Benjamin Lincoln here to treat with Chief . . . — Map (db m36326) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — The Unknown Soldiers of Brown Hospital
These Confederate soldiers, all serving in the Georgia Militia, died at Brown Hospital in Milledgeville and were buried at this location. Their names soon became lost, and they were considered Unknown Soldiers until 2003 when their identities were . . . — Map (db m91851) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-25 — Tomlinson Fort House
At this site lived Tomlinson Fort (1787-1859). A leader of the Union Party, he studied medicine and wrote a widely used book on medical practice. A captain in the War of 1812, he served in the Georgia legislature and the U.S. Congress, and on the . . . — Map (db m36134) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-27 — Troup-Clark Political Feud
In the street near this site in June 1807, occurred the horse-whipping of Superior Court Judge Charles Tait by his political enemy John Clark, later Governor of Georgia. Clark was fined $2,000 for the assault. The incident illustrates Georgia . . . — Map (db m36362) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Scottsboro — 005-4 — John Clark House
This house, now the Du Bignon home, was once the home of John Clark, Governor of Georgia. At the age of 16, John Clark fought with his father, General Elijah Clark, distinguished Revolutionary soldier, at the decisive Battle of Kettle Creek. . . . — Map (db m13138) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Scottsboro — 005-15 — Route of Gen. Kilpatrick’s Cavalry
Gen. Sherman’s Cavalry Corps, commanded by Gen. Judson Kilpatrick, consisted of 5,000 men, 8,000 animals, and 300 wagons. It rode from Gordon to Milledgeville on Nov. 24 to join the left wing of the Union Army. On the 25th, Gen. Kilpatrick moved . . . — Map (db m42314) HM

49 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement