Perry-Rainey Institute founded 1892 by Mulberry Baptist Assn. at Appalachee Baptist Church, Auburn.
Predecessors of Perry-Rainey Institute - Harmony Grove Academy, Mulberry High School and Perry-Rainey College.
Named for Reverend Hiram . . . — — Map (db m14883) HM
Oldest Methodist Church in Barrow County, organized in the 1780ís. Services first held two miles N.E. in log house. In 1790 a church was built nearby. The present site was originally a camp ground with an arbor, tents & cottages for camp meetings. . . . — — Map (db m46843) HM
Clayborn Dalton built an arbor for public Worship across Mulberry River in Jackson County in the early 1800ís. It was called “Daltonís Stand”. In 1813 the church was moved on this side of Mulberry River near the Maynard Cemetery. Rev. . . . — — Map (db m16125) HM
This is the same road over which marched the famous Gen. Andrew Jackson.
This marker erected April 1926
By Georgia Daughters of The American Revolution.
Atlanta Chapter, Atlanta, and Sunbury Chapter Winder. — — Map (db m19769) HM
Educator; 52 years service in education. Born Feb. 12, 1900 Ila, Ga., Graduate of University of Georgia. Taught: Maysville, Cornelia, Buford 1920-1933. Principal - Coach Statham School 1933 - 1957. Supt. Barrow County Schools 1957 - 1965. Professor . . . — — Map (db m17364) HM
Built circa 1850. Owned by M. John C. Statham. He provided homes for widows of Civil War Veterans; donated land for right-of-way of railroad; streets for town, and a lot for a Methodist Church -- now the city cemetery. Statham, incorporated Dec. 20, . . . — — Map (db m17348) HM
Served 3 years in Revolutionary War from Dinwiddie Co., Va. in Bufordís Detachment.
Lost an arm at Waxhaws, May 29, 1780.
Remembered as successful business man, educator and civic worker, but most outstanding as devout Methodist minister. . . . — — Map (db m19763) HM
Barrow County was created by Act of July 7, 1914 from Gwinnett, Jackson and Walton Counties. It was named for David Crenshaw Barrow, Chancellor of the University of Georgia for many years. Born in Oglethorpe County, October 18, 1852, he died in . . . — — Map (db m19070) HM
On July 31, 1864, at the Battle of Sunshine Church (19 miles NE of Macon), Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman [US] surrendered with 600 men to Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, Jr., [CS], after covering the escape of Adamsí and Capronís brigades of his cavalry . . . — — Map (db m23454) HM
This steam locomotive was presented to the City of Winder and Barrow County in 1959 by the Seaboard Air Line Railroad Company. It was placed here as a permanent exhibit in memory of the important service engines of this type rendered to the country. . . . — — Map (db m14528) HM
In 1836 Byrd Betts, Pioneer Steward of the Concord Methodist Church, later to become the First Methodist Church of Winder, gave 10 acres land for the church and cemetery. Those known buried here.
Susan, Wife of S. E. Beddingfield, 1829 - . . . — — Map (db m17407) HM
This remarkably preserved log blockhouse was built in 1793, according to historians. There are several references to Fort Yargo as existing prior to 1800. Its location is given as three miles southwest of “Jug Tavern,” original name for . . . — — Map (db m22396) HM
Glenwood Elementary and High School was established in 1951 as one of Georgiaís first public consolidated schools for African Americans. Part of a statewide equalization effort to improve school buildings and preserve segregation, Glenwood became . . . — — Map (db m56487) HM
Organized 1839 -- second oldest Universalist Church in Georgia. Located here near original site of Rockwell School, oldest school in this section, and Rockwell Masonic Lodge. Confederate Soldiers enlisted and drilled here 1861-1865. Church . . . — — Map (db m19548) HM
The Russell House was built in 1912 by Richard Brevard Russell, Sr., B. 1861 - D. 1938, and his wife, Ina Dillard, B. 1868 - D. 1953, who were married June 24, 1891. Fifteen children were born of this marriage. Judge Russell was elected Chief . . . — — Map (db m17288) HM
Closing in on Atlanta in July, 1864, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman found it "too strong to assault and too extensive to invest." To force its evacuation, he sent Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman's cavalry [US] to cut the Macon railway by which its defenders were . . . — — Map (db m17307) HM
For years inestimable the CREEK INDIAN VILLAGE of SNODON stood here. In 1793 ALONZO DRAPER, HOMER JACKSON and HERMAN SCUPEEN and their families became the first white people to establish homes in SNODON. This same year SNODON became JUG TAVERN. In . . . — — Map (db m17349) HM