Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bryan County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Jencks Bridge Marker, looking south along US 80 image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, 2008
Jencks Bridge Marker, looking south along US 80
Georgia (Bryan County), Blitchton — 015-10 — Jencks Bridge
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive Campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his army [US] into two wings. The Left Wing (14th . . . — Map (db m11957) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Blitchton — 015-5B — Old River Road
The highway northward is the Old River Road, one of the earliest routes west of the Ogeechee and a leading way from Savannah to Georgia`s western frontier. It followed an old Indian trial [sic] along the Ogeechee to a point west of Bartow, . . . — Map (db m12474) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Ellabell — 015-11 — Sherman's Right Wing
On Dec. 6, 1864, the 15th Corps (US), the extreme right of Gen. Sherman's army on its destructive March to the Sea, camped near Jenk`s Bridge on Great Ogeechee River, east of Blitchton. On the 7th, Oliver's brigade was sent in advance of Hazen's . . . — Map (db m11939) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Keller — 15-1 — Bryan Neck Presbyterian Church
This church, the oldest congregation in lower Bryan County, was certified by the Presbytery of Georgia in 1830. Its founders included rice planters on Bryan Neck, among them Thomas Savage Clay, Richard James Arnold and George Washington McAllister. . . . — Map (db m18648) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Pembroke — 015-1 — Bryan County
This County created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 19, 1793, is named for Jonathan Bryan, Revolutionary patriot and member of the Executive Council in 1777. The `lost town` of Hardwick on the Ogeechee River was the first temporary County . . . — Map (db m14952) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Pembroke — Bryan County
Named for the Honorable Jonathan Bryan, Esq. 1708- 1788 Founder, Father, and Patriot of Georgia. — Map (db m14954) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Pembroke — Old City Jail
Built in 1912, this structure was originally a simple one-room brick cube with barred windows an an armored door. It was used to house offenders for short periods for fighting, public drunkenness and similar minor offenses. In 1928, the . . . — Map (db m15816) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-8 — "Dead Town" of Hardwicke»—8 mi.—→
On May 10, 1754 GEORGE TOWN was established at the "Elbow" of Great Ogeechee River, eight miles east. In February, 1755, Gov. Reynolds, dissatisfied with Savannah as a capital and as a port, chose this new site because it has a . . . — Map (db m8364) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Bryan Neck Missionary Baptist Church
Organized in 1869, this is the oldest African-American church congregation in lower Bryan County. The first structure for the church, a Prayer House, was built in 1870 on this site near the white Presbyterian Church (Burnt Church). London Harris, a . . . — Map (db m54193) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Burnt Church Cemetery
Near this site in 1830 the Bryan Neck Presbyterian Church was established, being the oldest organized congregation in Bryan County. The church served the numerous planter families of lower Bryan, which had become one of the most productive . . . — Map (db m54354) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — C.S.S. Nashville
Built by William Collyer in New York City. She was ordered by New York merchants and launched September 22, 1853. Her maiden voyage was from New York to Charleston, South Carolina, under the name United States Mail Steamship . . . — Map (db m12868) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Canaan Church
The congregation of the Canaan Baptist Church, primarily African-American, was organized in 1913 by Rev. David Boles, Sr., who was pastor, and Brother Fred Gilbert, Deacon. It was the only organized denominational church in what is now Richmond Hill . . . — Map (db m59957) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Capt. John McCradyDesigner of Fort McAllister
Charlestonian, a student of Agassiz at Harvard, then professor of mathematics at the College of Charleston, he resigned his position at the outbreak of the war and became an officer in the Confederate engineers. Transferred to Savannah he spent his . . . — Map (db m12711) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Capt. Nicholas Clinch
When called upon by a Union officer to surrender during Sherman`s assault, December 13, 1864, Clinch responded with a blow of his sword. After three sabre, six bayonet, and two gunshot wounds, he was taken. — Map (db m13075) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Cheves' Rice Mill
From the roof of Cheves' rice mill (2 1/2 miles across the Ogeechee in the direction of the arrow) General Sherman and his staff watched the reduction of Fort McAllister, sunset, December 13, 1864. — Map (db m12914) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Columbiad
This replica of a coast defense cannon known as the columbiad was manufactured, 1964, by Savannah Machine and Foundry Company as a public service. A similar cannon was positioned here during Union naval attacks, 1863. The columbiad fired 87-lb. . . . — Map (db m12776) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Community House
Outside of their expansive home on the Ogeechee River, this is the single most imposing structure built by Henry and Clara Ford during their sojourn in Richmond Hill from 1926 to 1951. Built by local labor in 1936 near the Ways Station School, the . . . — Map (db m54221) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Confederate Land Mines
Land mines or torpedoes buried along the western approaches to the fort caused most of the casualties to the Union troops in the assault on December 13, 1864. After the taking of the fort, General Sherman personally gave orders that the captured . . . — Map (db m13071) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Courthouse Annex
This wood-frame structure, situated on a site known since the creation of Bryan County in 1793 as “the Crossroads”, was built in 1939 with funding provided by Henry Ford. The building came to be familiarly called “the . . . — Map (db m54142) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Damage From Naval Bombardments
The largest naval guns used against land fortifications were fired on fort McAllister in 1863 from monitor-type Union ironclads. 15 in. shells penetrated 17 feet of sand, digging craters 89 ft. in diameter and 7 ft. deep on exploding, but all damage . . . — Map (db m13037) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Destruction of the C.S.S. Nashville
The swift Confederate blockade runner Nashville ( renamed Rattlesnake) was destroyed by the monitor Montauk, February 28, 1863, after she went aground on a sandbar in a hairpin bend of the Ogeechee River. The engagement was . . . — Map (db m11474) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-9 — Fort Argyle
Near here, on the West bank of the Ogeechee River, Fort Argyle was built in 1733, to command one of the main passes by which enemy Indians had recently invaded South Carolina, and to give protection to the settlers of Savannah from anticipated raid . . . — Map (db m29523) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-6 — Fort McAllister»— 10 Mi. →
Situated at Genesis Point, 10 miles east on the right bank of the Great Ogeechee River below the "lost town" of Hardwick, this fort was the right of the exterior line designed for the defense of Savannah. It denied the use of the river to Union . . . — Map (db m8387) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-5 — Fort McAllister← 4.5 mi.—«
East 4.5 miles, on Great Ogeechee River, Fort McAllister was built 1861-62 to guard the "back door" to Savannah. During 1862-63, it repulsed 7 attacks by armored vessels, some mounting 15-inch guns. Dec. 13, 1864, its small garrison of 230 Georgians . . . — Map (db m29452) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-3 — Fort McAllister The Assault From The Rear
Dec. 1864. Fort McAllister, built 1861-62 to close the Great Ogeechee River to enemy ships, mounted 11 siege guns, 12 field pieces and 1 10-inch mortar. Below it, piles and torpedoes obstructed the channel. As the Union forces neared Savannah, the . . . — Map (db m16103) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-4 — Fort McAllister The Naval Bombardments
On July 1st and 29th, 1862, the fort was shelled by Union gunboats and on Nov. 19th by the ironclad "Wissahickon" and two escort craft. Hit below the waterline, "Wissahickon" withdrew after firing 17 11-inch and 25 other shells. The escorts withdrew . . . — Map (db m16102) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — George W. McAllister
Buried here is George Washington McAllister (1781-1850), a prominent planter of Bryan County. In 1817, McAllister acquired Strathy Hall Plantation on the Ogeechee River where he cultivated rice and was one of the largest slave owners on Bryan Neck. . . . — Map (db m59985) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — George Washington Carver School
On these grounds in 1939, Henry Ford built a school to serve the educational needs of the African-American children of lower Bryan County. Professor Herman Cooper was appointed as the Principal when the school opened later that year, originally with . . . — Map (db m54321) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Guale Village at Seven-Mile Bend
Across the Ogeechee River from this point was the northernmost town of the Province of Guale, the village of Satuache. Spanish records place Satuache about 10 miles northeast of Guale’s provincial capital at Mission Santa Catalina (St. Catherines . . . — Map (db m60008) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Hardwicke
This site on the Great Ogeechee, 14 miles from the Atlantic, was selected in 1755 by Governor John Reynolds for the capital of Georgia. He named it for his kinsman, Lord High Chancellor of England, Phillip Yorke Hardwicke. Reynolds said: "Hardwicke . . . — Map (db m11225) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-12 — Hazen's Division at the Canoochee River
On Dec. 6, 1864, the 15th Corps (US), Maj. Gen. P. J. Osterhaus, USA the extreme right of Gen. Sherman's army on its destructive March to the Sea, camped near Jenk's Bridge, on Great Ogeechee River east of Blichton. On the 7th, Oliver's brigade of . . . — Map (db m15812) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Henry Ford at Richmond Hill
In 1925, Henry Ford of Detroit, Mich., a leading American automobile pioneer who perfected the assembly line concept of auto manufacturing, began acquiring large tracts of land on both sides of the nearby Ogeechee River. He sponsored extensive . . . — Map (db m54170) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — J. F. Gregory
For nearly 20 years, J. F. (Jack) Gregory was the general manager and superintendent for all of Henry Ford’s various operations in and around Ways Station, later Richmond Hill. Serving for Ford from the 1920s until 1946, Gregory oversaw the . . . — Map (db m59669) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-13 — Kilpatrick on Bryan Neck
On Dec. 12, 1864, the 3rd Cavalry Division [US], Brig. Gen. J. L. Kilpatrick, USA, covering the right rear of Gen. Sherman`s army which was then closing in on Savannah, crossed the Great Ogeechee River near Fort Argyle and the Canoochee River near . . . — Map (db m29458) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Kindergarten Building
This structure was built in 1940 by Henry Ford to serve as a kindergarten for the children of Ways Station-Richmond Hill during the Ford era. The building included a kitchen and two large classrooms to accommodate children aged three years to six. . . . — Map (db m54435) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Machinery From The C.S.S. Nashville
These portions of rotating machinery were removed, in 1960, from the wreck of the Confederate blockade runner Nashville, sunk in the Ogeechee River by shell fire from the U.S.S. Montauk in Feb. 1863. These relics give some conception . . . — Map (db m16105) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Major Gallie's Gun
In this emplacement, chosen nearest the enemy, was the gun, an 8-inch columbiad, commanded personally by Major John B. Gallie. — Map (db m12995) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Major John B. Gallie
Killed in action while commanding the fort during the second attack of the monitor MONTAUK, February 1, 1863. The 32-pounder beside which he was standing was struck while Gallie was going from gun to gun, encouraging his men to calmness of aim. — Map (db m13072) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Martha-Mary Chapel
Henry and Clara Ford had this chapel built in 1937 near the Community House and the Ways Station School. The chapel was named for the mothers of Henry Ford (Mary) and Clara Ford (Martha). Students from the nearby school utilized the Martha-Mary . . . — Map (db m54319) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Obstruction of River
To block the channel of the Ogeechee River, a double row of piling was placed across the river at a point opposite this marker. — Map (db m12867) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Position of the Monitors
The monitors took positions against the far marsh in the direction of the arrow, between 900 and 1200 yards from the fort during the following series of attacks: by the MONTAUK, January 27, February 1, and February 28, 1863; and by the PASSAIC, the . . . — Map (db m12777) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Rice Cultivation on the Ogeechee
The production of rice on Bryan Neck utilized upstream fresh water and the tidal influences of the Ogeechee River. Heavy wooden trunks, or tidegates, along the levees and embankments in the rice fields allowed the inflow and outflow of fresh water . . . — Map (db m59995) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Richard J. Arnold
Richard James Arnold (1796-1873) acquired nearby White Hall Plantation through his marriage in 1823 to Louisa Gindrat. A Rhode Island native, Arnold invested heavily in White Hall for the cultivation of cotton and in his Cherry Hill and Mulberry . . . — Map (db m59997) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Robert E. Lee
( No Inscription ) No Historical fact mentioned — Map (db m67447) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — 015-7 — Sinking of the CSS ''Nashville (Rattlesnake)"
In July, 1862 the CSS "Nashville", Capt. Baker, ran the Union blockade and entered Savannah via Wilmington river with a cargo of arms. Loaded with cotton for Europe, she attempted to escape via Ossabaw Sound. Thwarted by the vigilance of the . . . — Map (db m16104) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — The "Bottom" Village
The “Bottom” residential village, built in the mid-1930s, was the first housing project developed by Henry Ford for his employees in the Ways Station (later Richmond Hill) area. The name originated from the fact that the area had been a . . . — Map (db m59965) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — The Clay Family of Bryan Neck
In this cemetery are interred members of the Clay family, among the most prominent of Bryan Neck and coastal Georgia from the colonial era of Georgia through the 19th century. Prominent among these are Thomas Savage Clay (1801-1849) and his wife . . . — Map (db m59986) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Tom CatGarrison Mascot
The sole Confederate fatality after seven hours of intensive bombardment on March 3, 1863, by the monitors PASSAIC (Capt. Percival Drayton), NAHANT, and PATAPSCO, supported by the MONTAUK, the WISSAHICKON, the SENECA, the DAWN, the FLAMBEAU, the . . . — Map (db m13038) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Ways Station
In 1856, the Savannah, Albany & Gulf R.R. was built across the nearby Ogeechee River into Bryan County. Near this site a train depot was built, which came to be known as “Ways No. 1 ½” for William J. Way, the first station master . . . — Map (db m54398) HM

49 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement