Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Clarke County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Abraham Baldwin Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, May 30, 2009
Abraham Baldwin Marker
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — Abraham BaldwinFounder of the University of Georgia
Born in North Gilbert, Connecticut, November 2, 1754; graduate of Yale, 1772; licensed to preach by the New Haven Association of Ministers, 1775; Tutor in Yale, 1775 – 1779, Chaplain in the Continental Army, 1779 – 1783; Admitted to the . . . — Map (db m20891) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-9 — America’s First Garden Club
In I891 at this site, the Ladies Garden Club was founded by twelve Athens ladies in the home of Mrs. E. K. Lumpkin. Mrs. Lamar Cobb was the first president. Beginning as a small neighborhood group, the club extended membership to all Athens ladies . . . — Map (db m39083) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 29-06 — Athens High and Industrial School
Established in 1916-1917 and accredited in 1922, Athens High and Industrial School (AHIS) was Georgia’s first four-year public high school for African-American students. Originally known as Reese Street School, founded in 1914, AHIS offered a full . . . — Map (db m38795) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-16 — Ben T. EppsGeorgia's Pioneer Aviator — 1888-1937
Ben T. Epps - Georgia's First in Flight -- designed, built and in 1907 flew the first airplane in the State of Georgia. He was born in Oconee County, educated in Clarke County, and attended Georgia Tech. A self-taught aviator, aircraft designer, and . . . — Map (db m11754) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-10 — Camak House:Landmark in Georgia Railroading
On March 10, 1834, a group of Athens men met in this house, then the home of Mr. James Camak, to accept the charter of the Georgia Railroad Company and to organize the corporation. At this meeting Mr. Camak was elected its president, and he soon . . . — Map (db m9128) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — Chestnut Grove School
The Chestnut Grove Schoolhouse was established in 1887 to meet the educational aspirations of Black children. It was built and equipped by local Black farmers. The land was donated by a Black farmer named Floyd Kenny, who could not read or write. On . . . — Map (db m56883) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-4 — Clarke County
Clarke County, created by Act of Dec. 5, 1801 from Jackson County, originally contained Oconee and part of Madison and Greene Counties. It was named for Gen. Elijah Clarke who came to Wilkes County, Ga., from N.C. in 1774 and fought through Ga., and . . . — Map (db m36187) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — Cook & Brother Armory BuildingTimeline and Company Name
1862 Cook & Brother purchases property at the junction of Trail Creek and the North Oconee River, builds the Armory and produces Enfield-model rifles for the Confederate Army. 1865 Cook & Brother Armory closes at the end of the Civil War. . . . — Map (db m60603) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-2 — Cook & Brother Confederate Armory
To this building in 1862 was brought the machinery of the armory established in New Orleans at the outbreak of the War by Ferdinand W.C. and Francis L. Cook, recent English immigrants, the former a skilled engineer for the manufacture of Enfield . . . — Map (db m11288) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-11 — Dr. Moses WaddelNoted Educator and Presbyterian Minister
Dr. Moses Waddel, educator and minister, was born in 1770 in N.C. At fourteen he began teaching pupils near his home. Moving to Ga. In 1786, he taught in the Greensboro area until 1787, opening another school at Bethany, Greene County, in 1788. . . . — Map (db m38874) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-14 — Dr. William Lorenzo Moss Birthplace
William Lorenzo Moss, medical researcher and physician, was born in this house at 479 Cobb Street in Cobbham on August 23, 1876. Crawford W. Long was the attending physician. Dr. Moss received his B.S. degree from the University of Georgia in 1897 . . . — Map (db m11872) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 29-5 — First Flight in GeorgiaSite of Ben Epps' Garage
Georgia’s pioneer aviator, Benjamin Thomas Epps, was born in Oconee County in 1888. He opened Athens’ first automobile repair garage at this location on East Washington Street in 1907. That same year, nineteen-year-old Epps designed and built his . . . — Map (db m11755) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — First Garden Club1891
Founders’ Memorial Garden which commemorates the founders of America’s first garden club. The Ladies Garden Club organized in 1891, Athens, Georgia. This garden was developed on University of Georgia campus by University’s Landscape Architecture . . . — Map (db m35108) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 29-6 — Gospel Pilgrim Cemetery
The Gospel Pilgrim Cemetery was founded in 1882 by the Gospel Pilgrim Society, a fraternal organization, to furnish respectable funerals and burial places for Athens-area African Americans. Popular in the nineteenth century, such societies offset . . . — Map (db m14500) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-17 — Herty Field
This marker overlooks the site of the first intercollegiate football game played in the state of Georgia and one of the first to be played in the deep south. On January 30, 1892 Georgia defeated Mercer College 50 to 0 on the stubbly grounds that . . . — Map (db m11709) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — Hodgson-Dodd Park
In their Springdale houses they shared the joys of music and the visual arts with friends, family, students and faculty. HUGH HODGSON 1893 - 1969 570 SPRINGDALE was designed by architect Ed Wade and built in 1941 by Sam Wright for . . . — Map (db m14191) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — Holmes/Hunter Academic Building
On Jan. 6, 1961, Hamilton Holmes and Charlayne Hunter became the first two African American students to enroll at the University of Georgia when they walked past the historic Arch and into this building to register for classes. On this day, January . . . — Map (db m11699) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-12 — Home of Joseph Henry LumpkinGeorgia's First Chief Justice
Joseph Henry Lumpkin, born in Oglethorpe County, Georgia, Dec. 23, 1799, entered the University of Georgia at fifteen, completing his college education at Princeton, New Jersey, in 1819. Lumpkin passed the bar in 1820 and began practicing law in . . . — Map (db m37800) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 29-2 — Jeruel Academy/Union Baptist Institute
This academy was founded in 1881 at Landrum Chapel (Ebenezer Baptist Church, West) by the Rev. Collins Henry Lyons. In 1886 a new facility was constructed at this site, now on the University of Georgia campus. Here black youth were taught college . . . — Map (db m46841) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 29-3 — Louis H. Persley(1888-1932)
Originally from Macon, Georgia, African-American architect Louis H. Persley attended Lincoln University, and graduated from Carnegie Institute of Technology in 1914. Persley then joined the faculty of the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama . One of his . . . — Map (db m11753) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — Lt. Col. Jefferson M. Lamar, C.S.A.
Lt. Col. Jefferson Mirabeau Lamar commanded Cobb’s Legion Infantry at Crampton’s Gap. Lamar graduated from the University of Mississippi before opening a law practice in Covington, GA. A month after his July 1861 marriage to his cousin, Mary Ann . . . — Map (db m108759) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-8 — Lucy Cobb Institute (1858-1931)
Lucy Cobb Institute, a College for Girls, was established in 1858 through the effort of T. R. R. Cobb and named for his daughter, Lucy. Later, three of his nieces taught here: Miss Mildred Rutherford, Principal, Mrs. Mary Ann Lipscomb, Mrs. Bessie . . . — Map (db m39408) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — May Erwin Talmadge(1885 – 1973)
May Erwin Talmadge was the eighteenth President General of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, 1944-1947. Mrs. Talmadge and her husband, Julius Young Talmadge (1880-1940), an Athens businessman, made their home in this . . . — Map (db m39086) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — Oconee Hill Cemetery
Oconee Hill Cemetery was purchased in 1855 by the City of Athens when further burials were prohibited in the old town cemetery on land owned by The University of Georgia. In 1856, the City formed a self-perpetuating Board of Trustees to hold and . . . — Map (db m38875) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — Old Athens Cemetery
This site is the original burial ground for Athens and contains the remains of its earliest citizens. It is a part of the original tract of land purchased for The University of Georgia by Governor John Milledge in 1801. All people in Athens were . . . — Map (db m19707) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 29-4 — Old College
Built in 1806 by Jett Thomas to the specifications of college president Josiah Meigs, Old College was the first permanent building on the University of Georgia campus. Originally named Franklin College in honor of Benjamin Franklin, the building . . . — Map (db m19515) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — Olympic Games in Athens
In summer 1996, Athens, Georgia, shone as the largest Olympic venue site outside Atlanta, as the state hosted the Centennial Olympic Games July 19 - August 4. Some 650,000 visitors bought tickets to events at three University of Georgia venues: . . . — Map (db m11870) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-15 — Robert Toombs Oak
A majestic oak tree once stood on this spot and one of the University's most endearing legends also flourished here. Robert Toombs (1810-1885) was young, and boisterous when he was dismissed from Franklin College in 1828. Five decades later it was . . . — Map (db m11966) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-5 — The Athens Double-Barrelled Cannon
This cannon, the only known one of its kind, was designed by Mr. John Gilleland, a private in the “Mitchell Thunderbolts,” an elite “home guard” unit of business and professional men ineligible because of age or disability . . . — Map (db m19549) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-18 — The Red and Black
Student published the first issue of the University of Georgia's campus newspaper, The Red and Black, on Nov. 24, 1893, from offices in the Academic Building (now the Hunter-Holmes Academic Building). The tabloid boosted school spirit, . . . — Map (db m11289) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-6 — The Stoneman Raid
Closing in on Atlanta in July, 1864, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman found it "too strong to assault and too extensive to invest". To force its evacuation, he sent Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman’s cavalry [US] to cut the Macon railway by which Atlanta’s defenders . . . — Map (db m19661) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-13 — The Taylor-Grady House
General Robert Taylor (1787-1859), a planter and cotton merchant, built this Greek Revival home as a summer residence in 1839. Shortly thereafter he moved his family here permanently from Savannah in order for his sons to attend the University of . . . — Map (db m38698) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — U.S. Navy Supply Corps School / Former Site of Georgia State Normal School
U.S. Navy Supply Corps School Commissioned on this site 15 January 1954, the U.S. Navy Supply Corps School is the “Home” of the Navy Supply Corps. At this school newly commissioned Navy Supply Corps officers receive basic . . . — Map (db m110255) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 29-1 — United States Navy Pre-Flight School
Between 1942 and 1945, the Navy operated a Pre-Flight School on the University of Georgia campus. As one of only five such schools in the nation, the program trained approximately 20,000 cadets in the skills needed as combat pilots in the Pacific . . . — Map (db m21247) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 029-1 — University of Georgia
Endowed with 40,000 acres of land in 1784 and chartered in 1785, the charter was the first granted by a state for a government controlled university. After Louisville and then Greensboro were first selected, the current site was chosen. The first . . . — Map (db m16062) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 29-7 — University of Georgia Botanical Garden1833-1856
In 1833 Dr. Malthus Ward, Professor of Natural History, opened the University Botanical Garden at this location. Covering the block bounded by Broad, Pope, Reese, and Finley, the four-acre garden was intended as a laboratory for learning and . . . — Map (db m108775) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
Eminent artist -- naturalist. Described numerous species of flora including Franklinia. Explored local area in 1773. — Map (db m9147) HM

37 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement