Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Coffee County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Coffee County Marker, at right , and Courthouse image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, November 8, 2009
Coffee County Marker, at right , and Courthouse
Georgia (Coffee County), Douglas — 034-1A — Coffee County
Coffee county was created by an act of the Georgia legislature Feb. 9, 1854, and made up of portions of Clinch, Ware, Irwin and Telfair counties. Named for Gen. John Coffee, of Telfair county, noted as an Indian fighter, planter and Congressman. . . . — Map (db m24293) HM
Georgia (Coffee County), Douglas — 034-1B — Coffee County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 9, 1854, is named for Gen. John Coffee who served in the Indian Wars and was a Member of Congress in 1833-36. He built the "Old Coffee road," which forms part of the border between Berrien and . . . — Map (db m24295) HM
Georgia (Coffee County), Douglas — Coffee County Confederate Monument
(East face) In Memory Of Our Confederate Soldiers (North face) 1861 - 1865 [Crossed Flags] (West face) Erected by the Robert E. Lee Chapter, U.D.C. Oct. 1911 — Map (db m24604) HM
Georgia (Coffee County), Douglas — 34-1 — Raymond-Richardson Aviation School
Wesley Raymond, Robert Richardson and others founded a school here in 1939 to teach basic flight skills to college students. With the start of World War II, the school became the 63rd Flight Training Detachment Airbase and provided primary flight . . . — Map (db m24686) HM
Georgia (Coffee County), Douglas — 34-2 — Sand Hill Missionary Baptist ChurchBirthplace of the Smyrna Baptist Association
This church was organized in 1857. The first sanctuary, made of logs, was situated near the still-present old well. A number of Coffee County’s prominent citizens were early members of the church and are buried within the cemetery, including William . . . — Map (db m57084) HM
Georgia (Coffee County), Douglas — Tri - Hi - Y International
Organized at Douglas High School, on this site, in 1930 Founder Dr. Jesse Lee Fortney, Superintendent of Douglas Public Schools Faculty Sponsor - Miss Agnes McNair Adult Advisors - Misses Kate Outen and Mary Stanford; Mesdames L.E. . . . — Map (db m24372) HM
Georgia (Coffee County), Pridgen — 034-2 — Old Coffee Road
The highway leading southward is the Old Coffee Road, a pioneer vehicular and postal route of South Georgia. Beginning at the Ocmulgee River, two miles to the north, it ran some 120 miles via today’s Lax, Nashville, Cecil, Barwick, and Thomasville . . . — Map (db m50529) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement