Blackshear Trail, made by General David Blackshear during the War of 1812, was used by General Andrew Jackson when he led his troops from Fort Hawkins, now Macon, through Hartford, now Hawkinsville, to Fort Early in 1818. The section was roadless . . . — — Map (db m53208) HM
This camp, as proposed by Cpl. J.M. Moore, Georgia State Highway Patrol, and sponsored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Emmett R. Culbreth and James H. Floyd, State Commanders; Department of Public Safety, George Wilson, Director, and the Department . . . — — Map (db m111394) HM
Crisp County was created by Act of Aug. 17, 1905 from Dooly County. It was named for Charles Frederick Crisp (1845-1896), Georgia lawyer, judge, Congressman, who was born in Sheffield, England, of actor parents touring the British Isles. Judge Crisp . . . — — Map (db m53210) HM
Hernando de Soto and his army after crossing to the west side of Flint River near Bainbridge, recrossed it on March 31, 1540, between the mouths of Jones and Gum creeks, and stopped at the town of the Ichisi chief. He was the first that came to them . . . — — Map (db m52884) HM
Fort Early, built by General David Blackshear in 1812, was named for Peter Early, Governor of Georgia at that time. It was used by General Blackshear during the war of 1812. On February 13, 1818 General Andrew Jackson and his army arrived at the . . . — — Map (db m65821) HM
Here begins “Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park.” This 1,200 acre tract of land was purchased by Crisp County Commissioners and given to the State of Georgia December 4, 1946 in grateful appreciation of, and as a living memorial to the . . . — — Map (db m35041) HM
This 1000 acre tract, once the hunting and fishing grounds of Creek Indians, was purchased from Dr. Russell Thomas and John F. Thomas on December 4, 1946, by the Crisp County Commissioners, Dr. L.E. Williams, J. Homer Dorough and Claude L. McMillan, . . . — — Map (db m113889) HM
Early in 1702 Joseph de Zuńiga, Spanish Governor of Florida, and Pierre le Moyne Iberville, French founder of Louisiana, made plans to check steadily increasing English trade with the Indian tribes in the interior, and perhaps to drive them out of . . . — — Map (db m22899) HM
Spreading its limbs over 100 feet, this Live Oak has comforted and delighted generations of visitors. passerby and owners of the William Adkins Plantation Home.
The Crisp-Dooly Forestry Department measurerd this tree in 1976. It was 56 inches . . . — — Map (db m9134) HM
This is the site of
Confederate Air Force
Pad No. 1
Holding 98', this giant missile was dismantled in California and flown to Warner Robins Air Force Base. The missile was then transported along I-75 to Cordele.
The . . . — — Map (db m55339) HM
In 1952, the V.F.W. opened Camp Safety Patrol. Here, with the cooperation of the Department of Public Safety, over 72,000 youths camped and learned school safety practices. The V.F.W. made improvements, built facilities and obtained equipment for . . . — — Map (db m35042) HM