On Three Notch Road at Damascus-Hilton Road (County Route 1691), on the left when traveling south on Three Notch Road.
Ben Johnson and his wife, "Miss Ellie," attended the DuBose Methodist Church located six miles away until they were caught in a rainstorm that frightened
their horse. In an attempt to get a church nearer home, Ben Johnson and Dick Mock . . . — — Map (db m14830) HM
On Main Street (Georgia Route 1) at College Street, in the median on Main Street.
This flag pole from which the Stars and Bars [CS] proudly flew is the last original Confederate flag staff still standing in Georgia. The stalwart pole was hewn from a long leaf pine tree that grew one mile southwest of this city in Early county. . . . — — Map (db m23172) HM
On Columbia Highway (Georgia Route 62) at Old River Road, on the right when traveling west on Columbia Highway.
The covered bridge over Coheelee Creek, two miles north on the Old River Road, was ordered built by the Early County Board of Commissioners in 1883. It was erected by J. M. Baughman. Commissioners were J. S. Moseley, W. C. Sheffield, H. C. Fryer, . . . — — Map (db m48327) HM
Early County, an original county, was created by Act of Dec. 15, 1818, from Creek Cession of Aug. 9, 1814. At first it contained Decatur, Seminole, Baker, Mitchell, Calhoun, Miller, Dougherty and parts of Clay, Grady, and Thomas Counties. It was . . . — — Map (db m39418) HM
On Columbia Hghway (Georgia Route 62) at Martin Road (County Route 25), on the right when traveling west on Columbia Hghway.
Formal education began in 1897 on land from J.C. Hudspeth and Mrs. Elizabeth Freeman. A petition in 1924 halted a new school at Waters Ford. In 1925 a spacious masonary school opened one mile west of this marker for students from Freeman, Hilton, . . . — — Map (db m56427) HM
On Old River Road at County Route 25, on the right when traveling north on Old River Road.
The Hilton Methodist Episcopal Church, South was organized in 1850. The first church was erected one mile southwest of Hilton on the Lower River Road. This structure was sold after the Civil War and services were then conducted in an arbor. E. . . . — — Map (db m47839) HM
On Indian Mounds Road 0.2 miles east of Georgia Route 1940, on the left when traveling east.
You are at the edge of one of the largest and most important mound groups in the southeastern United States. Most of this complex of mounds was constructed about A. D. 200-600. Archaeologists call this period the Middle Woodland Period and the . . . — — Map (db m48243) HM
On North Main Street (Business Georgia Route 1) at 1st Kolomoki Road (County Route 280), on the right when traveling south on North Main Street.
A large Indian mound complex built about A.D. 200-600 is the centerpiece of Kolomoki Mounds State Park. The largest mound is 325 feet long, 200 feet wide and 57 feet high. This ceremonial area was at the eastern end of a large cleared ceremonial . . . — — Map (db m88399) HM
On County Route 141 1.5 miles north of County Route 244, on the right when traveling north. Reported missing.
In 1855, Anthony Hutchins and a group of local citizens built a two-story cotton mill of handmade bricks, fired in Early County, on the north side of Harrod's Creek. The mill, known as the Early County Manufacturing Company, was constructed to spin . . . — — Map (db m46126) HM
On Still Road (County Route 15) at Zion Church Road (County Route 7), on the right when traveling east on Still Road.
The school was established prior to 1879 and consolidated with Hilton School in 1925. It served as a Free Will Baptist Bible School for young ministers from 1930-1942. Reverend T. B. Mellette was the instructor and Reverend K. V. Shutes was . . . — — Map (db m47219) HM
On Lucile Highway (Georgia Route 39) at Old Lucile Road, on the right when traveling south on Lucile Highway.
One of the important pioneer ways, this road, called “Three Notch Trail” from early days, is believed to have been marked by scouts sent out by General Andrew Jackson to mark the route followed by Jackson’s men to Fort Scott on their way . . . — — Map (db m48349) HM
On Fort Gaines Highway (Georgia Route 39) 4 miles north of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard (Georgia Route 62), on the left when traveling north.
This road, called “Three Notch Trail” from early days, is believed to have been marked with three notches by scouts sent out by General Andrew Jackson’s troops on their march to Fort Scott. Most of his troops passed this way en route to . . . — — Map (db m48350) HM
On Old River Road at Fanny Askew Williams Park Entrance, on the left when traveling north on Old River Road.
The construction of this 121-foot bridge at McDonald’s Ford was first authorized by the county in 1883, though construction was delayed until 1891. It was completed in four months by J.W. Baughman and thirty-six workers as a modification of the . . . — — Map (db m14850) HM
Coheelee Creek Covered Bridge
According to the May 2, 1883 minutes of the Early County Board of Commissioners, a commission was appointed "to inquire into the practicability of construction a bridge across Coheelee Creek at McDonald Ford." . . . — — Map (db m8503) HM
On Hugh D. Broome Sr. Parkway (U.S. 84) at Confederate Naval Yard Road, on the right when traveling east on Hugh D. Broome Sr. Parkway.
At Saffold, “accessible by steamboats from all points on the river”, David S. Johnston operated the Southern Confederate States Navy Yard. Here the gunboat Chattahoochee was built under contract signed October 19, 1861. Lt. . . . — — Map (db m55460) HM