Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Franklin County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Carroll’s Methodist Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, August 22, 2012
Carroll’s Methodist Church Marker
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 059-4 — Carroll’s Methodist Church< ---- 2 mi. ---- <<<
This church, instituted in 1797, was named for the Wm. Carroll family, among its first members. The present building, erected about 1835, was restored in 1951-52 under the leadership of Bishop John H. Baker. Rev. Nelson Osborn (1797-1873) was a . . . — Map (db m58796) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 059-3 — Carroll's Methodist Church>>>>--- 2½ mi. --->
Instituted in 1797, this church was named for the William Carroll family, among its first members. Families identified with the church through the years are McWhorters, Osborns, Starrs, Stones, Browns, Burtons, Sewells, Jacksons, Hemphills, Deans, . . . — Map (db m26502) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 059-6B — Double Branches Baptist Church>>>-- 1/2 mi. -->
Constituted in 1801 this church had 19 charter members. First a member of the Serepta Association, it was one of 13 churches to form the Tugalo Association in 1818. Some members came many miles in wagons and buggies to attend its services. Among the . . . — Map (db m26487) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 059-1 — Franklin County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 25, 1784, is named for Benjamin Franklin, Revolutionary patriot and statesman. It was formed from lands obtained from the Indians by the Treaty of Augusta, 1783. Capt. James Terrell of the . . . — Map (db m27043) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 059-6 — Hebron Presbyterian Church>>>>--- 2 mi. --->
Hebron Presbyterian Church was organized in 1796 by Rev. John Newton, a native of Pennsylvania. Rev. Thomas Newton, a younger brother, was the first pastor. First elders were John McEntire and Samuel Makie, natives of Ireland, and Thomas Mayes and . . . — Map (db m26429) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 59-2 — Old Federal Road Historic District
Development along Indian trails of the Old Federal Road began in the early 19th century to improve transportation between South Carolina and Tennessee. Although European settlement in this area began in the late 1700s, the road increased populations . . . — Map (db m15020) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 059-5 — Poplar Springs Methodist Camp Ground
Camp meetings have been held here each year, from 1832,except four years during the War Between the States. The 50-acre plot, “extending one-half mile in every direction from the preacher’s stand,” was purchased by from Daniel and Jacob . . . — Map (db m26490) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Franklin Springs — 59-3 — Cromer's Mill Covered Bridge
The Cromers settled on Nails Creek in Franklin County in 1845. Prior to the Civil War, the family operated a woolen mill near this site. Subsequently, the area maintained a cotton gin, flour mill and saw mill, though all operations had ceased by . . . — Map (db m14932) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Franklin Springs — Historical Franklin Springs
Site of the home of Rev. John Martin Turner, born September 12, 1891, and Mrs. Olivia Jackson Turner, born April 5, 1893, a teacher at Holmes College of the Bible. They were married July 7, 1920. The Turners were the first missionaries of the . . . — Map (db m21527) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Franklin Springs — Historical Franklin Springs
Site of first building owned by The Pentecostal Holiness Church to house Advocate Press, at a cost of $3,085.44. The building was dedicated by J. H. King, Aug. 2, 1919. At the cornerstone a list of donors, a Discipline of the Church, a copy of the . . . — Map (db m58525) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Franklin Springs — Original Site and Portions
Original Site and Portions of Franklin Springs City Jail Built early 1920’s — Map (db m58476) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Franklin Springs — 059-9 — The Franklin Springs
For the first hundred years. Franklin Springs existed as a famous health resort. The Springs, as well as the County, was named for Benjamin Franklin. Three types of water flowed strongly from these springs, mineral, sulphur and freestone. . . . — Map (db m58497) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Lavonia — 059-8 — Poplar Springs Baptist Church< ------ <<<<
Established in 1805, Poplar Springs Baptist Church, "Mother Church" of the Tugalo Baptist Assn., began in May of that year. Some of the first members were Joseph Chandler, Thomas Wilkins, John Nail, John Mullins, and James Jackson. John Cleveland, . . . — Map (db m58854) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Lavonia — Shoal Creek
Shoal Creek consolidated school was created in 1924. Grades one through nine were taught in a new brick building completed in 1925. It replaced Thomasville, Old Shoal Creek, and Parkertown Schools. Additional pupils came from Viola and Rock Springs. . . . — Map (db m45183) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Red Hill — 59-1 — Red Hill School
In 1912, William Thomas Sosby donated 1.4 acres near this site for the Red Hill School. Originally for grades 1-6, the school added grades 7-9 in 1922. After consolidation in 1925, a new school building was constructed here on land donated by Sosby . . . — Map (db m15156) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Royston — 059-2 — Dr. Stewart D. Brown, Sr.
Dr. Brown (1881-1952), Royston native, after years of the best training, returned home to practice surgery, bringing modern techniques and ingenious methods. He served his townspeople unfailingly for 40 years, performing 35,000 operations. With no . . . — Map (db m37346) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Royston — Royston, GA / U.S. Bicentennial Monument
North Inscription Royston, GA The tri-county city where agriculture and industry join hands with progress! Mid Strickland, Mayor Imogene Lester, City Clerk Councilmen Ben Dickson Jerry Gaines, Mayor Pro-tem . . . — Map (db m61735)
Georgia (Franklin County), Royston — 059-10 — Ty CobbThe Georgia Peach
Tyrus Raymond Cobb (1886-1961) moved to Royston as a youth when his father got a teaching position here. He was playing “Town Ball” for the Royston Reds at age 14 and was in the minors at 17. He first played with the Augusta Tourists . . . — Map (db m10636) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Royston — Tyrus Raymond Cobb"The Georgia Peach" — 1886 - 1961
Ty Cobb Lifetime Record 1904 - 1928 Games 3,033 At Bat 11,429 Runs 2,244 Hits 4,191 Put Outs 6,294 Errors 274 Home Runs 118 Stolen Bases 892 Runs Batted In 1,901 Batting Average 367 Assists 406 Fielding Average 961 . . . — Map (db m61745) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement