Alpharetta was formed in 1858 and soon after, a thriving business district was developed. Many of the businesses had two entrances, with one facing the Milton County Courthouse on Norcross Street, now South Main Street, and the other facing National . . . — — Map (db m57391) HM
South of Jones Alley buildings have housed many businesses including A.G. Carroll store, Shirley Brothers Mercantile c. 1910, Jones Merchandise c. 1914, Teasley Ford Motor dealership, Milton County Bank c. 1910, Q.A. Wills Merchandise, Louie E. . . . — — Map (db m57392) HM
One South Main Street housed a general merchandise store operated by J.A. Oliver until 1920. Later it became Jones Grocery, Lively Grocery and Talmage Burgess Grocery. In the mid 1950s, Phillips Variety Store opened. Three South Main Street has . . . — — Map (db m57394) HM
The Methodist Church was part of the Forsyth Circuit of the Cherokee District. Methodist camp meetings were held near this spot in the early 1830s, and there was a meeting house as early as 1834. On April 1, 1871, Isham Teasley, one of the original . . . — — Map (db m56732) HM
The property was the original location of the Alpharetta Hotel built by Bob Webb in 1908.
The hotel was torn down in the 1970’s. It once housed a Boarding House for single school teachers which was operated by Lillian Teasley. It was the home . . . — — Map (db m60550) HM
This Queen Anne home was built by Mr. Benjamin Franklin Shirley using a Sears Roebuck house pattern. Features include a nine-room interior, a veranda, and exterior stairs leading to the second floor. Renovations have been made, but the original . . . — — Map (db m56866) HM
Dodd Hotel was owned by James Madison Dodd, a businessman and Milton County Constable. He was born in 1828 and died in 1895. Dodd operated a livery stable and barn on the north side of Dodd Hotel Street, now Milton Avenue. The hotel boarded cotton . . . — — Map (db m56138) HM
In 1903, a group of women who met weekly for prayer and Bible study began collecting offerings. From those collections, the women purchased a sixty by one hundred foot lot and began construction of the First Baptist Church. The project was completed . . . — — Map (db m56841) HM
Over one hundred members of Milton High School's Future Farmers of America built this rustic cabin. Teacher P.L. Elkins provided seed money and oversight for the project. The purpose of the project was to give the young men an opportunity to learn . . . — — Map (db m58910) HM
Over one hundred members of Milton High School's Future Farmers of America built this rustic cabin. Teacher P. L. Elkins provided seed money and oversight for the project. The purpose of the project was to give the young men an opportunity to learn . . . — — Map (db m58911) HM
J.J. Webb’s two-story brick building housed many businesses including Shirley Brothers store, Milton County Bank, Buren Weatherford Grocery and Bates Grocery. In 1934, C.P. Brady and Sons purchased the building, where they operated a Chevrolet . . . — — Map (db m56402) HM
Colonel Tom Lewis, an Atlanta Attorney, built the five-bedroom Queen Anne-style house from bricks made in the pasture behind the house. There are rock foundations under each room. The inside walls are 12 inches thick, there are fireplaces in every . . . — — Map (db m56108) HM
James H. and Thomas H. Manning operated Manning Mercantile store in a wooden building that burned in 1902. It was replaced by a one-story brick building, which later housed the U.S. Post Office, Bates Grocery, Cowart Shoe Shop, Cook Shoe Shop, and . . . — — Map (db m56405) HM
The Mansell House was built by Robert Mansell of South Carolina for his wife, Maude Dorris. It is a Queen Anne-style clapboard farm house built from pine trees located on the site. It has heart pine floors, 12-foot ceilings, and a fireplace in each . . . — — Map (db m56231) HM
The campground was located to the immediate west of the intersection of North Main and Cumming Streets. The location included several springs and its proximity to westward routes made the area a suitable overnight camp location for travelers. With . . . — — Map (db m56239) HM
The house is a Queen Anne-style cottage and was built of brick and wood for $1,500. A six-room home with heart pine flooring, plate glass windows, a fireplace in every room and a large porch. The house survives as originally built and includes . . . — — Map (db m56104) HM
This was the Courthouse of Milton County at the time it was merged with Fulton County Jan. 1, 1932. When the County was created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 18, 1857, it was named for Homer V. Milton, General in the War of 1812, though some claim . . . — — Map (db m21434) HM
Originally the three buildings faced the National Highway, now Old Roswell Road, which was the main road from Roswell to Dahlonega. A brick facade was added in the 1970s. In 1909, John A. Oliver constructed the two-story Oliver warehouse. The first . . . — — Map (db m56164) HM
R.J. Webb built the two-story brick Webb Hotel, later known as the Alpharetta Hotel. The hotel lobby fronted Milton Avenue. Hotel residents included Milton County court attendees and school teachers. Businesses that faced Main Street included Norman . . . — — Map (db m56420) HM
The brick home was built for the family of Dr. Oliver P. Skelton, physician, postmaster and Ordinary of Milton County. His son-in-law John I. Teasley, a cotton planter, subsequently occupied it. This Greek Revival style house has four rooms, a . . . — — Map (db m56134) HM
Farmers Bascom and Oma Spence purchased this 19th century farmhouse in 1918. Their families had lived in North Fulton and Forsyth Counties since the 1840s. The house sits on tree trunks cut on the property. Two wings were later added and the most . . . — — Map (db m109126) HM
James Madison Dodd sold the property, which had been used for a livery stable, to R.J. & J.J. Webb. The Webbs built the first section of the building, called he Webb Guano House. The original structure was of concrete blocks, heavy beams and thick . . . — — Map (db m56116) HM
In 1856 James E. Williams (Mayor of Atlanta 1866-1868), built a residence atop this high ground which later became a part of Oakland Cemetery. From the second story of the house, Gen. John B. Hood, in command of Confederate forces, & members of his . . . — — Map (db m10448) HM
“Expelled Because of Color” is dedicated to the memory of the 33 black state legislators who were elected, yet expelled from the Georgia House because of their color in 1868.
The cinder block forms at the base of the sculpture . . . — — Map (db m130191) HM
The City of Atlanta Office of Cemetery Commission purchased this fountain from J. L. Mott Iron Works as a cemetery improvement. T. G. Spearman ordered the statue and constructed a masonry pool, which was altered in 1984. The figural group was . . . — — Map (db m64800) HM
Local lore has recorded that in 1838 a hunter hung a deer’s head at about this location in front of Irby’s Tavern. The Henry Irby family owned 803 surrounding acres and the area was designated Irbyville on maps at that time. People started . . . — — Map (db m53409) HM
July 18, 1864. Hooker’s Federal 20th Corps, occupied this sector between Howard’s 4th at Buckhead, on the left, & Palmer’s 14th, on the right, at Howell Mill Road. Williams’ & Geary’s divs. of the 20th, camped in this vicinity that night, while . . . — — Map (db m22889) HM
July 20, 1864. To this high ground, 500 yds. in front of Geary’s div. (20th A.C.) [US] on Collier Rd., the 33d N.J. regt., Jones’ brigade, was sent to establish & support a battery position. The regiment had scarcely reached this hill when, in a . . . — — Map (db m16407) HM
July 18, 1864. Left Wing, Army of the Cumberland [US], having moved from Power’s Fy., cast up a line of intrenchments covering roads leading E., S., & W. Contact was made with the 20th A. C. to the right (on W. Pace’s Fy. Rd.) & to the left with . . . — — Map (db m22297) HM
Auburn Avenue was like a parade ground. Families and friends were constantly visiting back and forth. In the evenings, couples--such as Frank and Eula Kirk, who lived here for 40 years--relazed in rocking chairs and wicker swings as they chatted . . . — — Map (db m73180) HM
Thirteen Atlanta physicians organized the Brotherhood of Physicians in 1854. After many location and name changes, the Brotherhood evolved in to the Fulton County Medical Society, which dedicated the Academy of Medicine as its headquarters here on . . . — — Map (db m9849) HM
Born in Clinton, Jones County, Georgia
February 14, 1829
Died Atlanta, Georgia
March 31, 1911
He was the son of
Alfred Iverson, Sr.
United States Senator for Georgia
Caroline Goode Holt . . . — — Map (db m64825) HM WM
This apartment building represents the ups and downs of the Auburn Avenue neighborhood. As property owners started to move away in the 1950s, numerous dwellings gradually fell into disrepair. Since 1982 the National Park Service and various civic . . . — — Map (db m73421) HM
Johnston’s army [CS] moved to this side of the river July 9-10, 1864. French’s div., Stewarts A.C. was posted astride the R.R. to guard the left bank pending Federal crossings up river. July 18. With the Federal advance S. to Peachtree Cr. Valley, . . . — — Map (db m16583) HM
July 22, 1864. Gen. George Maney’s div. (Hardee’s A.C.) (CS) attacked the front of Giles Smith’s div., 17th A.C. (US) posted on Flat Shoals Road (Leggett’s Hill to Glenwood), while Cleburne’s div. attacked it from the rear. This forced the . . . — — Map (db m10241) HM
On this corner stood the Auburn Avenue Branch Carnegie Library for African-Americans, from 1923 to the 1950s. Alic Dugged Carey, the first principal of Morris Brown University (now College), along with Dr. W.E.B. Dubois and others led the fight to . . . — — Map (db m127281) HM
200 yds. N.E. stood the plantation residence of Augustus F. Hurt (1830-1921), built 1858 and razed by Federal forces, 1864; erroneously cited in Official Records as the Howard house.
July 22, 1864. 4th & 23d A.C. troops, in line with Federal . . . — — Map (db m10276) HM
The outer Confederate defense line of Atlanta, located on E. slope of this hill, July 18, was evacuated the night of the 21st, 1864. July 22. The Federal 23d A.C., under Schofield, marching from the N.E. via Williams Mill Rd. intrenched a line W. & . . . — — Map (db m10275) HM
July 22, 1864. Baker`s Alabama brigade (Col. J.H. Higley comdg.), Clayton`s div., Cheatham`s A.C., [CSA} was diverted N.E. in Clayton`s attack on the 15th A.C. eastward, thus forming the extreme left of the line extending S. to Glenwood Ave. . . . — — Map (db m10105) HM
Baltimore Block was built in 1885 by Jacob J. Rosenthal. Named for the developer’s home town, the rowhouses were Atlanta’s first apartment-type development and the first to be based on a long-term land lease. Each of the graciously appointed . . . — — Map (db m47622) HM
The outer Atlanta defense line crossed Clear Cr. a short distance S.W. of Walker’s (or Jones’) Mill (just below the present R.R. bridge).
July 20, 1864. The right of Bate’s division (rt. of Hardee’s corps) (CSA) rested on Clear Creek. From this . . . — — Map (db m17293) HM
July 19, 1864. Morgan’s brigade (Davis’ div.), 14th A.C., was posted on the rt. of Dilworth’s brigade to support his crossing of Peachtree Creek at junction with Green Bone Cr. Morgan faced destructive fire from Confederate forces on the high bluff . . . — — Map (db m35687) HM
The name "Battle Hill" is associated with the area because of an engagement fought here on July 28, 1864. This was the 3d attempt of the Confederate forces under General John B. Hood to repel the 3 Federal armies, commanded by General Sherman, . . . — — Map (db m51402) HM
July 28, 1864. The 4 brigades of Brown’s Div., S. D. Lee’s A. C. [CS], deployed in this area, made the initial assaults on the Federal right flank posted on the ridge just N. E. Their combined attacks struck Lightburn's & Martin’s brigades of Morgan . . . — — Map (db m36095) HM
July 26, 1864. Brown’s & Clayton’s divs., Lee’s Corps [CS] led off the attack on the 15th corps [US] posted some 400 yds. N. of this rd.
Brown’s brigades: Johnston’s, Sharp’s & Brantly’s, were deployed W. of the cemetery Gate House ~ Manigault’s . . . — — Map (db m36096) HM
July 28, 1864. This marks the extreme right of Howard’s Army of the Tennessee during the Battle of Ezra Church. Lightburn’s brigade of M. L. Smith’s div., Logan’s A. C., occupied the immediate sector. From here the line ran S. E. to a salient angle . . . — — Map (db m53579) HM
July 28, 1864. Gen. A.P. Stewart, with Walthall’s and Long’s divisions of his A.C. [CS], reached the field in time to renew the attack. Walthall, on left, fared no better than Brown, in the same area.
Stewart, riding forward to this hill, . . . — — Map (db m50868) HM
Federal siege operations not only involved the encircling line of Atlanta's defenses, but threatened the 2 railroads S.W. of the city. Pursuant thereto, Federal forces after the Battle of Ezra Church were shifted S., only to be confronted by a line . . . — — Map (db m71443) HM
From this point extending three-fourths mile eastward the Confederate troops of Brig. Gen. John C. Brown's & Maj. Gen. Henry D. Clayton's Divisions (seven brigades) of Lieut. Gen. Stephen D. Lee's Corps, formed in line of battle.
From this . . . — — Map (db m87193) HM
Lt. Gen. John B. Hood, on taking command of the Army of Tennessee [CS], July 18, 1864, began aggressive action against the Federal approach to Atlanta from
upper Chattahoochee crossings. July 20. Hood’s 1st move was to attack Thomas’ Army of the . . . — — Map (db m14415) HM
July 22, 1864. When Brown’s (formerly Hindman’s) div., Cheatham’s A.C. (CS) attacked the Fed. Line E. of here, Benton’s Mississippi & Coltart’s Alabama brigades struck Harrow’s div. of the 15th A.C. (US), dislodging Williams’ & Oliver’s brigades. . . . — — Map (db m10472) HM
July 19, 1864. The march of Stanley’s div. (4th AC.) on the Old Cheshire Bridge Rd from Buckhead was delayed by the burning bridge at N. Fork, Peachtree Cr. Opposition by Confederate cavalry had marked the progress of the 4th AC. from the . . . — — Map (db m22224) HM
Built 1895. Purchased 1909 by Dr. King's maternal grandfather, Dr. A. D. Williams. Birthplace of Dr. King 1929. Acquired with assistance of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority 1974. Designated as part of the National Historic Site 1980. Dedicated as part of . . . — — Map (db m73422) HM
One mile north where Sandy Creek flows into the Chattahoochee River, was the house of John B. Nelson, owner of Nelson´s Ferry in the 1820´s. His son, Allison Nelson was born there March, 1822. After service in the Mexican War, he was a . . . — — Map (db m14159) HM
Former slave, Principal of Tuskegee Institute and author of Up From Slavery, Washington delivered the Atlanta Exposition Address on September 18, 1895 at this site, the former auditorium of the Cotton States and International Exposition. . . . — — Map (db m73369) HM
On July 22, 1864,
Brig. Gen. A. M. Manigault’s Brigade, Hindman’s Div., Cheatham’s Corps, advancing
eastward from the Atlanta fortifications against the Federal 15th Corps posted at DeGress Ave., halted in this ravine to reform their line, . . . — — Map (db m36102) HM
July 22, 1864: 3:30 P.M. Gen Hood (CS) launched an attack from the east line of the city fortifications, on the 15th A.C. astride the Ga. R.R. (at DeGress Ave.) - a mass assault by two divs. of Cheatham’s A.C.: Brown’s & Clayton’s.
Brown’s brigades . . . — — Map (db m10260) HM
This was the home of the Rev. Peter James Bryant and, later Antoine Graves. Here Bryant wrote sermons he delivered as pastor of Wheat Street Baptist Church. He also worked as associate editor of The Voice of the Negro, a national literary . . . — — Map (db m73179) HM
The National Congress of Colored parents and teachers grew from a meeting called at the request of Selena Sloan Butler through the school principal, Cora B. Finley, at Yonge Street School, March 14, 1911. As interest grew, other school units were . . . — — Map (db m55232) HM
The section of the cemetery encompassing the area behind this marker, bounded by the lane to the east, the sidewalk to the west, and the wall to the south, was established in 1892 as the burial ground for Congregation Ahavath Achim, chartered in . . . — — Map (db m53310) HM
A notable eminence between Peachtree & Proctor’s creeks near the Chattahoochee River & named for John A. Casey (1820-1907) who lived on this hill near the old Montgomery Church. Prior to & during the 1860s, the road from Atlanta crossed this hill . . . — — Map (db m16530) HM
At this point, Atlanta’s outer defense line, beginning at Casey’s Hill 5.75 W., turned S. & parallel to Highland Ave., ran to the Ga. R.R. This angle was occupied July 18, 1864, by Stevenson’s div. Cheatham A.C. (CS) (Hood’s old command).
July 19, . . . — — Map (db m9545) HM
The Union Army used this cannon during the American Civil War, which was fought between 1861 and 1865. Called a siege cannon, it was too big and heavy to be used in most battles. Instead, it was used during sieges, which were lengthy assaults . . . — — Map (db m88227) HM
July 28, 1864. Dep1oyed a1ong the old Greensferry Rd. (West View Dr.) were Gibson’s, Holtzclaw’s and Baker’s brigades (Alabama and Louisiana troops), Clayton’s div., forming the right flank of Gen. S. D. Lee’s A. C. [CS] in the Battle Of Ezra . . . — — Map (db m53691) HM
July 28, 1864. Dep1oyed a1ong the old Greensferry Rd. (West View Dr.) were Gibson’s, Holtzclaw’s and Baker’s brigades (Alabama and Louisiana troops), Clayton’s div., forming the right flank of Gen. S. D. Lee’s A. C. [CS] in the Battle Of Ezra . . . — — Map (db m53710) HM
July 28, 1864. Deployed along the old Greensferry Rd. (West View Dr.) were Gibson’s, Holtzclaw’s & Baker’s brigades (Alabama & Louisiana troops), Clayton’s div., forming the right flank of Gen. S. D. Lee’s A. C. [CS] in the Battle Of Ezra Church. . . . — — Map (db m53715) HM
Clement A. Evans, Brig. Gen., C.S.A., began his military career in his native Stewart Co., Ga., where he was commissioned Major in Co. E, 31st Ga. Infantry. He rapidly rose in rank and in Nov. 1864, was put in command of a division, succeeding . . . — — Map (db m64826) HM
Four regiments ~ 33d & 85th Ind., 19th Mich. & 22d Wis. ~ Col. John Coburn’s brigade, Ward’s 3d div., 20th A.C., were posted in this sector ~ the 22d Wis. on the ridge as skirmishers, the other three in the ravine N. of the road. The left of . . . — — Map (db m16382) HM
150 ft. down stream, on the right bank of Tanyard Branch, stood an ante-bellum grist mill built & operated by Andrew J. Collier, pioneer resident of this area. (1827-1887). A notable landmark at the time of the Battle of Peachtree Creek - July 20, . . . — — Map (db m16497) HM
Near here the command and tactics of the Confederate Army were changed July 18th 1864.
Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman (US) had been trying for months to force Gen. Joseph E. Johnston (CS) to abandon delaying tactics and face overwhelming odds in . . . — — Map (db m55624) HM
This battery was one of several cavalry outposts maintained by Wheeler`s Cavalry (CS) to watch the ferries and fords along the Chattahoochee River in 1864. The battery position consisted of a single piece of light artillery protected by strong . . . — — Map (db m9553) HM
This line of works in Adams Park is one of the few remaining sections of the exterior portion of Atlanta's defenses designed as a barrier to Federal attempts to cut the two railroads that enter the city from the S.W. Built about August 1 it joined . . . — — Map (db m18820) HM
"Resolved, that the petition of the Atlanta Ladies Memorial Association, asking a donation of land for the purpose of interring the Confederate Dead, be referred to the Committee on Cemetery, and that said committee have full power to act in the . . . — — Map (db m64823) WM
Was held for 100 days from Sept. 18, to Dec. 31, 1895 in Piedmont Park. This event was held at a time when the regions population was only 75,000 and economically depressed. The people of Atlanta raised two million dollars to finance a public . . . — — Map (db m17292) HM
This site was known as the Cotting Estate in the mid 1800’s. David Cotting, teacher, editor and lawyer, served as Secretary of State from 1868-1873. He was also a member of the Constitutional Convention. Frances Cotting lived here after her . . . — — Map (db m109190) HM
The hill N. of the Chapel Rd. intersection was thus named after occupation & intrenching by Gen. J.C. Davis’ 2d Div., 14th A.C., July 22, when the Army of the Cumberland [US] moved up from Peachtree Cr. to the siege line facing the N. sector of . . . — — Map (db m45767) HM
July 19, 1864. The 1st crossing of Peachtree Cr by Federal 14th A.C. troops, was at the junction of Green Bone Cr., 3/4 mi. N. of here. Two regts. of Dilworth’s brigades (Davis' div.), crossing on a log, were at once assailed by skirmishers of . . . — — Map (db m21496) HM
Dr. Charles d'Alvigny, son of Dr. Noel d'Alvigny, was captured with Cobb's Legion in NC in 1865. He was released when it was recognized that he was Dr. d'Alvigny's son. He was a dentist and later Sexton of Streets in Atlanta overseeing their . . . — — Map (db m64816) HM
Dr. Noel d'Alvigny was born in 1800, Paris. As a surgeon in both the French and Confederate Armies (Leyden Artillery), he said, "I was in two revolutions." He was the only doctor who bravely remained during the burning of Atlanta in 1864 and was . . . — — Map (db m64818) HM
An old Campbell County crossroads cited in James P. Snell’s Diary as “a one-horse settlement with no pond, but two or three houses & blacksmith shop” — a landmark in the movement of Howard’s Army of the Tennessee from the Atlanta . . . — — Map (db m19095) HM
"Our Stone of Help."
"Then Samuel took a stone and named it Ebenezer for he said, 'Thus far the Lord has helped us.'"
(I Samuel 7:12.)
The Rev. John A. Parker,
The Rev. Dr. Alfred Daniel Williams,
Pastor . . . — — Map (db m5481) HM
has been designated a
National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America May 5th 1977 National Park Service United States Department of the Interior
[bottom . . . — — Map (db m6675) HM
The world of young Martin Luther King, Jr., revolved around Ebenezer Baptist Church. Here his grandfather and father preached in favor of desegregation, voting rights, and equal pay—social issues he would later embrace and espouse. His . . . — — Map (db m127272) HM
Aug 26, 1864. The Federal Army of the Tenn., (15th, 16th and 17th corps) enroute to Fairburn & Jonesboro, camped on, and near, the Wilson plantation. Gen. John A. Logan (15th A.C.) had h’dq’rs at the Judge Wm. A. Wilson residence. The 4th, 14th and . . . — — Map (db m44416) HM
Gen. W.S. Featherston’s Mississippi brigade of Loring’s div., Stewart’s A.C., [CS] together with Scott’s brigade (on his left), advanced from trenches at & near Loring’s Hill, .9 miles S.W. Traversing a broken area of tangled forest, the brigade . . . — — Map (db m16380) HM
Opposition by Confederate forces to Federal crossings of Peachtree Cr., were more formidable westward than eastward, because of high, wooded ridges on the south bank. Two days of severe conflict were required by the 14th Corps [US] to effect . . . — — Map (db m37030) HM
The rt. wing of the Army of the Cumberland, 14th and 20th A.C., was also the rt. of Sherman´s forces moving on Atlanta from N. & E. The 14th and 20th, having crossed the river at Pace´s Fy., July 27, 1864, moved E. to this intersection with Mt. . . . — — Map (db m14347) HM
July 18, 1864. The 14th A.C., which was posted on extreme rt. of the Cumberland Army, left camp at Mt. Paran Rd., crossed Nancy´s Creek & moved S. on Howell Mill Rd. to Peachtree Cr. Mitchell´s brigade of Davis´ div. covered the Ridgewood Rd. area . . . — — Map (db m14348) HM
July 22, 1864. When 15th A.C. troops moved W. from line (at Candler St.) to the vacated Confederate line at the Troup Hurt house (at DeGress Ave.), a signal station was established by Lt. Samuel Edge in a tall pine near this site commanding a view . . . — — Map (db m9511) HM
During the Civil Rights Movement, members of the African-American community pressured the Mayor and City Council of Atlanta to integrate the city's fire department. In 1962, Mayor Ivan Alan, authorized the first hiring of sixteen African American . . . — — Map (db m108848) HM
As a boy Martin Luther King, Jr., played basketball behind Fire Station No. 6 and watched the white crews go out on calls. He and his friends knew that they could not dream of becoming firefighters because of the city’s segregation laws. Finally, . . . — — Map (db m85815) HM
Named for Maj. Gen. James Birdseye McPherson, U. S. Vol., the Union Commander of the Army of Tenn. during the Battle of Atlanta, this area was used as a state militia drill ground as early as 1835. It housed several temporary Confederate and Union . . . — — Map (db m16964) HM
With Creek Indians as British allies & Cherokees loyal to U.S., in War of 1812, it was expedient to locate a fort at Standing Peach Tree on the Chattahoochee - the boundary line. Lt. Geo. Gilmer (later, twice Gov. of Georgia) was sent here (1814) . . . — — Map (db m22091) HM
One of a line of forts hastily constructed during the War of 1812 to control the Creek Indians who were in alliance with the British, of the Chattahoochee River and Peachtree Creek, and overlooked the Creek trading-post town of Standing Peachtree. . . . — — Map (db m9688) HM
Southeastern salient of Atlanta’s inner line of (CS) fortifications erected during the Summer & Fall of 1863. The line consisted of a cordon of redoubts on hills connected by rifle pits encircling the city, aggregating some 10.5 miles of earthworks . . . — — Map (db m10236) HM
Freedom Park celebrates the lives and work of two renowned Georgians and Nobel Peace Prize winners, the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., and President Jimmy Carter.
Beginning at the far end of the parking lot, a gentle paved trail extends through . . . — — Map (db m73173) HM
July 20. 1864. The right of Gen. S. F. French’s div. of Stewart’s A. C. [CS] rested on DeFoor's Fy. Rd. -- the left, being at Casey’s Hill 1.5 miles W., during the Battle of Peachtree Creek.
While Walthall’s & Loring’s divs. attacked the Federal . . . — — Map (db m21504) HM
July 9, 1864. Confederate forces withdrew to this side of the river near the state R.R. bridge. General S.G. French’s div. (Stewart’s A.C.) was posted above & below the bridge as a rear guard of Johnston’s Army of Tennessee. July 18. French’s div. . . . — — Map (db m21500) HM
Fulton County was created out of DeKalb County by an Act of the Legislature approved December 20, 1853 (as amended and corrected by the Act of February 7, 1854). The City of Atlanta was made the County Seat. From 1872 until 1932, parts of Milton and . . . — — Map (db m59535) HM
The 129th, 105th Ill. & 70th Ind., the left of Harrison’s brigade, together with the rest of Ward’s div., 20th A.C. [US] were posted in the low ground 350 yds. N., having just crossed Peachtree Creek. No immediate attack was expected. Scott’s [CS] . . . — — Map (db m29426) HM
July 19, 1864. Geary’s Div. 20th A.C. [US] camped the previous night on Paces Fy. Rd. (at Arden). Moving S.W. on the ridge E. of Green Bone Cr., by a road more or less identical with Arden, Geary’s intonation was to cross Peachtree Cr. at Howell’s . . . — — Map (db m23207) HM
July 20, 1864. Gen. J. W. Geary’s 2d div., 20th A.C. [US] occupied this ridge which was some 300 yds. in advance of Williams’ 1st div. on his rt., & Ward’s 3d, on his left -- all facing southward.
His three brigades: Candy’s, Jones’ & . . . — — Map (db m41096) HM
July 20, 1864. Geary’s 20th A.C. div. [US] was massed on this ridge (Candy’s, Ireland’s & Jones’ brigades) in parallel lines on old Collier Rd., its front 400 yds. Eastward. A reconnoissance in force, there was no deployment & being several hundred . . . — — Map (db m41955) HM
July 19, 1864. Covered by the fire of Geary’s 12 guns [US] on the ridge N. of the cr., together with the musketry of a heavy skirmish line, the division pioneers hastily built a foot bridge with timbers previously prepared. Ireland’s Brigade . . . — — Map (db m16516) HM
On hill 200 yds. west stood the ante-bellum res. of Archibald Whitehead, headquarters of General Patrick R. Cleburne, [CS] July 10-18, 1864.
After withdrawal of Johnston’s army to this side of the river, night of July 9, his forces were posted . . . — — Map (db m50527) HM
Site of the Ira R. Foster house which was occupied as headquarters by Gen. A. P. Stewart, [CS] during military operations N. of Atlanta, July 16-21, 1864. From here were issued the orders directing his troops in the Battle of Peachtree Creek, July . . . — — Map (db m50625) HM
Established by Act of the General Assembly Oct. 13, 1885; site selected Oct. 20, 1886.
Administration Building erected, 1887.
First session, Oct. 7, 1888.
In July, August, 1864, this site was occupied by one of a series of forts connected by . . . — — Map (db m15839) HM
(Exterior sign): Downtown Atlanta’s oldest standing building. It was completed in April 1869 by Thomas Alexander, contractor and designed by Corput and Bass, architects.
A 1935 fire destroyed the upper floors and cupola. The building . . . — — Map (db m40521) HM
John Marshall Slaton was born in Meriwether County and graduated from the University of Georgia before practicing law in Atlanta. Slaton served in both houses of the Georgia legislature and two terms as governor (1911-12 and 1913-15). While in . . . — — Map (db m99371) HM
Named for Col. Lemuel P. Grant (1817-1893), pioneer railroad builder and public-spirited citizen of Atlanta, who donated to the city 87.5 of this area for a park May 17, 1883. An additional 44 acres acquired by purchase from Col. Grant, increased it . . . — — Map (db m10235) HM
A small tributary of Peachtree Creek, which rises near Pace’s Ferry Road & drains the valley between Arden, Dover, Howell Mill rds. & Moore’s Mill Road; a landmark of military operations in the Summer of 1864. July 19. Federal 14th A.C. troops . . . — — Map (db m50501) HM
Joseph Habersham Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution was organized February 12, 1900 at the Executive Mansion. Mrs. William Lawson Peel, first Regent and Mrs. Allen D. Candler, wife of the governor, were among the five . . . — — Map (db m30510) HM
Troops of Gen. W.J. Hardee’s A.C. [CS] were posted in this sector, July 18, 1864, to guard the creek crossings when it was learned that Federal forces were moving toward Atlanta from Pace’s & Power’s Fys., Chattahoochee River. Wheeler’s Cav. . . . — — Map (db m16426) HM
July 20, 1864. At 3:30 P.M., 3 divisions of Hardee’s A.C., [CS] Bate’s, Walker’s, & Maney’s, moved to the attack of Newton’s 4th A.C. div. [US] posted on the ridge 200 yards north of Collier Road. Bate, on the right of the corps, was just west of . . . — — Map (db m16506) HM
Failing to dislodge Federal forces N. of Atlanta at Peachtree Cr., July 20, Gen. Hood sent Hardee’s A.C. on a 15-mile night march S.E. to the rear of Federal troops in East Atlanta.
Hardee began the march after dark, July 21, via Capitol Ave. & . . . — — Map (db m10409) HM
The 5 regts. of Col. Benjamin Harrison’s brigade of Ward’s div. (20th A.C.) [US] were N. of this ridge when the Confederate attack in this sector was made. The brigade was moved forward in support of Geary’s line & deployed astride Tanyard Branch - . . . — — Map (db m16498) HM
July 22, 1864. Harrow’s 4th div. (composed of Walcutt’s, Oliver’s & Williams’ brigades), 15th A.C. [US] occupied this sector between Leggett’s Hill & the Ga. R.R., which was the outer Confederate line until abandoned that morning.
When . . . — — Map (db m60559) HM
Fire Station No. 6 was one of seven fire stations built in Atlanta, Georgia during the 1890s to serve the city's bustling growth of suburban neighborhoods. One of the early means of transportation for the firemen was the horse-drawn hose wagon. . . . — — Map (db m85814) HM
Atlanta’s first City Hall stood here 1853-1883. Used jointly by Fulton county courts.
During Atlanta’s occupation -- Sept. to Nov. 1864 -- the 2nd Mass. Regiment, [US] constituting the Provost Guard of Sherman’s army, camped in a park on . . . — — Map (db m41848) HM
One of the first churches in Fulton County, Mt Gilead was founded April 23, 1824, by Rev. John M. Smith (1789-1863) who is buried here. It was organized by Rev. William J. Parks. Many early settlers worshiped here and their descendants still live . . . — — Map (db m44412) HM
Owl Rock Church was founded in 1828 by Richmond Barge and other members of the Mutual Rights faction that withdrew from the Mount Gilead Methodist Episcopal Church. The church is named for an eight foot natural rock closely resembling an owl which . . . — — Map (db m14161) HM
The Sisters of Mercy founded Atlanta's first hospital on this site in 1880.
Saint Joseph's Hospital occupied this location until 1978, when it moved to 5665 Peachtree-Dunwoody Road. — — Map (db m106785) HM
Utoy Primitive Baptist Church, the oldest Baptist Church in present Fulton County, was constituted August 15, 1824, in a log house just west of here. The church was moved to its present location in the summer of 1828. In 1864 the church was used as . . . — — Map (db m8876) HM
July 18, 1864. The 4th A.C., marching from Crossroads Church to Buckhead, encountered a spirited opposition by Confederate cavalry & artillery S. of Mt. Paran Rd. On reaching the creek Newton’s head of column found that the bridge had been burned & . . . — — Map (db m27981) HM
A notable ante-bellum land-mark established 1852, by Judge Clark Howell (1811-1882). Two buildings -- grist and sash-sawmills -- which stood on the N. bank, and in the bend of, Peachtree Cr. 1000 ft. west of the present bridge. The old road crossed . . . — — Map (db m23271) HM
First Catholic Church in the Atlanta area and the oldest complete building standing in downtown Atlanta.
The church was established in 1848. The first building, a frame structure, was erected here in 1851. Father Thomas O’Reilly, its pastor, . . . — — Map (db m41835) HM
Chattahoochee River, at mouth of Soap Cr., .75 mi. N.W., operated in the 1860`s by James Isom. Federal Army records cite it variously as Isham's Ford or Fy., Phillip's Fy., Cavalry Fd. The first of the Federal troops to pass the river was Cox`s . . . — — Map (db m9583) HM
James J. Andrews, leader of the Andrews Raiders, was executed a few feet southeast on June 7, 1862. Andrews a native of Hancock County, now West Virginia, was a civilian spy for the Union Army who led 20 Union soldiers and another civilian to Big . . . — — Map (db m30504) HM
A native of Upson County, Georgia, and a Major General, Confederate States Army, was one of General Lee's most trusted and outstanding officers. He brilliantly led his devoted men in every engagement in which the Army of Northern Virginia . . . — — Map (db m64831) HM
John Brown Gordon, son of the Rev. Zachariah Herndon Gordon and Mrs. Malinda Cox Gordon, was born in Upson County Feb. 6, 1832. He attended a rural school in Walker County, Pleasant Green Academy in Lafayette, and the University of Georgia. He . . . — — Map (db m86837) HM
July 5-9, 1864. Johnston Army of Tenn. [CS] held a fortified line N. of the Chattahoochee from Nickajack Cr. to one mile above Peachtree Cr.
Federal crossings several miles upriver July 8, making the line untenable, Johnston crossed his . . . — — Map (db m21506) HM
War Governor of Georgia
Patriot, Statesman, Christian
Born April 15, 1821, Died November 30, 1894
Governor of Georgia Four Terms, 1857-1865
Chief Justice Supreme Court of Georgia, 1868-1870
United States Senator from Georgia, 1880-1891 . . . — — Map (db m87457) HM
On November 14, 1864, the third cavalry of General Sherman’s Military Division of the Mississippi [USA], Brig. General Judson L. Kilpatrick, [USA], 5500 men and 6 guns, marched from Marietta via Mayson-Turner Ferry (Bankhead Highway bridge) and . . . — — Map (db m109220) HM
July 20, 1864. In Federal advances on Atlanta from the N.E., a gap was left between the 23d A.C. (on Briarcliff Rd.) and Newton’s Div., 4th A.C. on Peachtree Rd. S. of the creek. Two 4th A.C. divisions were shifted E. to occupy the gap. When both . . . — — Map (db m23247) HM
The area E. (L. L. 104, 17th Dist.), long known as Collier’s Woods, was part of the ante-bellum plantation of George W. Collier (1813-1903). Clear Creek P.O. (1831-1839), probably in this land lot, was named for the stream flowing across it; old . . . — — Map (db m16545) HM
A winding dirt road of the 1860’s which passed Ezra Ch. (S.E. cor. Mozley Park) & continued S.W. to Gordon Terrace, where it joined Gordon R. & ran westward to a cross-roads settlement called Lick Skillet, now known as Adamsville. The road, Mozley . . . — — Map (db m36098) HM
July 20, 1864. The high hill, within the forks of Tanyard Branch, was occupied by troops of Maj. Gen. W.W. Loring’s div. of Stewart’s A.C. [CS].
From this hill & a sector W. of it, Scott’s & Featherston's brigades, of Loring’s division, . . . — — Map (db m29289) HM
Commanding Artillery Battalion attached to Alexander P. Stewart’s Corps [CS] - killed in action while supervising placement of two sections of Selden’s Ala. Battery, Lt. Chas. W. Lovelace, commanding, near the Embry House, July 20th, 1864, during . . . — — Map (db m16505) HM
July 22, 1864. Manigault’s brigade, Brown’s div., Cheatham’s A.C. (CS) attacked this sector where Martin’s & Lightburn’s brigades were posted astride the Decatur rd. & the Ga. R.R. cut.
Manigault’s troops broke the Federal line at the cut, thereby . . . — — Map (db m10277) HM
Margaret Mitchell (November 8, 1900 - August 16, 1949) spent her girlhood and young ladyhood in the home of her father, which stood here. Her family had lived in Atlanta since the city’s earliest days. She was born and lived in Atlanta all her life. . . . — — Map (db m40258) HM
Completed in 1899 by Cornelius J. Sheehan, the Margaret Mitchell House was originally a single-family, Tudor Revival residence. In 1913, the house was relocated to the rear of the property and converted into a ten-unit apartment building, known as . . . — — Map (db m40262) HM
In this spot set apart by the city is buried
Martha Lumpkin Compton
August 25, 1827 - February 13, 1917
Thomas M. Compton
Governor Wilson Lumpkin
and his wife
Annis Hopson Lumpkin
In honor of . . . — — Map (db m64785) HM
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
[Photo 1 caption reads]
King and daughter . . . — — Map (db m64767) HM
On the rise above this marker is the family cemetery of Major J. M. C Montgomery (1770-1842) probably the first white man to settle permanently in what is now Fulton County. A soldier in the War of 1812, Montgomery served under Lt. George R. Gilmer . . . — — Map (db m21516) HM
James McC. Montgomery (1770-1842), of Jackson Co., Ga., War of 1812 veteran, settled in this vicinity about 1821. He resided in a 2-story house just S. of where Moore’s Mill Rd. joins.
Owning land, both sides of the river, he had a private . . . — — Map (db m50528) HM
James McC. Montgomery acquired 1000 acres in this vicinity about 1821. Owning land on both sides of the river, he had a private ferry until granted a State franchise, Dec. 25, 1837, signed by his friend, Gov. Geo. Gilmer. It was located where the . . . — — Map (db m22092) HM
300 yds. downstream stood the structures of Moore’s Mill ~ a sash-sawmill &, lower down, a gristmill connected by a flume with the dam which impounded the waters of Peachtree and Woodall creeks: the ford was below the dam.
Thomas Moore . . . — — Map (db m35689) HM
In 1864, the building at this location was a prominent landmark in the final phases of Federal military operations against Atlanta.
Three Federal army corps marched this way enroute to Red Oak and Jonesboro; 4th and 14th of the Army of Cumberland . . . — — Map (db m19896) HM
On September 29, 1957, Mount Zion Methodist Church, one of the first churches in this area, celebrated its 141st anniversary. Services were held first in a log structure, built for a schoolhouse. Tombstones in the cemetery bear dates from 1796; . . . — — Map (db m17787) HM
Aromas of newly mown grass and fresh paint drifted along Auburn Avenue as residents trimmed their lawns and hedges and painted their houses and fences. The neighborhood buzzed with activity as other residents tended their flower gardens, shrubs, . . . — — Map (db m73178) HM
July 20, 1864. Gen. John Newton’s div., Howard’s 4th A.C., marching S. from Buckhead, relieved T. J. Wood’s div., this side of Peachtree Cr., & moved to this ridge where two brigades were deployed: Kimball’s W. of, & Blake’s E. of, Peachtree Rd. -- . . . — — Map (db m29417) HM
O’Neal’s (formerly Cantey’s) brigade, Walthall’s div. [CS] began its assault abreast & on the rt. of Reynolds’. It struck the rt. of Geary’s 20th A.C. div. [US] posted on Collier Rd., forcing Geary to refuse Candy’s brigade (in part) together with . . . — — Map (db m41956) HM
July 20, 1864. Not until O’Neal’s Alabama & Mississippi troops [CS] plunged down the wooded slope from Collier Rd., did the formation of Geary’s [US] refused line & the re-entrant angle created thereby, become apparent to them.
Geary’s right . . . — — Map (db m29414) HM
In 1850 the City of Atlanta established a public cemetery on this ridge overlooking downtown. Originally known as Atlanta or City Cemetery, the name Oakland was adopted in 1872 because of its many oaks. It was the principal burial ground for Atlanta . . . — — Map (db m10148) HM
In 1864 the Old Cheshire Bridge Rd., leading E. from Buckhead generally on the trace of the present E. Pace’s Fy. Rd., crossed this area & ran S.E. to N. Fork Peachtree Cr. & beyond.
Howard’s 4th A.C. [US], marching from Power’s Ferry, . . . — — Map (db m53481) HM
A section of the old Montgomery Ferry Road ran N.W. from Geo. W. Collier’s house (Land Lot 104) & crossed Peachtree Road (below Palisades). This point, on the old rd. is S.W. of the site of the war-time house of Andrew J. Collier which stood until . . . — — Map (db m16517) HM
In 1864, Mt. Zion Baptist Church stood on the site of the North Side Park Baptist Church.
July 20. The skirmish line of Walthall’s div., Stewart’s A.C., [CS] was astride Howell Mill Rd., just N. of the church. When Reynolds’ & O’Neal’s . . . — — Map (db m29827) HM
This is the original trace of the Pace’s Ferry Road which ran from Decatur, via Buckhead, to Pace’s Ferry on the Chattahoochee River, about 50 feet upstream from the present bridge. While the date of its establishment is unknown, on May 5, 1834, . . . — — Map (db m10855) HM
The old Williams Mill Rd. crossed the Fulton-DeKalb Co. line here; it was identical with Briarcliff to this point where it continued S.W., crossing Highland at North Avenue.
July 20, 1864. The Fed. 23d A.C., having camped on the Paden . . . — — Map (db m28959) HM
In 1864, Collier Rd. topped the ridge N. Descending the slope E. it crossed the branch below the dam at Collier’s Mill. Geary’s left – Candy’s brigade & Aleshire’s batteries [US] - were aligned along the old road facing south. The 33d N.J. . . . — — Map (db m16532) HM
News of Federal crossings of the Chattahoochee July 17, 1864 prompted the building of a defense line N & E of Atlanta, by the forces of Gen. Hood, C.S.A., who assumed command July 18. The E.-W. line crossed Howell Mill Rd. here. Gen. A.P. Stewart’s . . . — — Map (db m17767) HM
On 29 September 1877 William Brown donated one acre of land at the intersection of Paces Ferry and Mount Paran Roads for the purpose of establishing and building a church. Pleasant Hill Methodist Church was first served by circuit rider ministers, . . . — — Map (db m41951) HM
July 17. 1864. Wood’s 4th A.C. div. moved S. to this point from Power’s Fy. (3 mi. N.) to cover the crossing of Palmer’s 14th A.C. Hooker’s 20th, followed the 14th on the 2 pontoon bridges at the site of old Pace’s Ferry, a short distance above the . . . — — Map (db m21495) HM
Here on these grounds at Ponce de Leon Ball Park, The Atlanta Crackers and the Atlanta Black Crackers began a tradition of baseball championship and athletic excellence which set the high standard for the baseball we enjoy in Atlanta . . . — — Map (db m47795) HM
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made
possible the freedom of these United States
The Boy Scouts of America
dedicate this replica of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge
of everlasting fidelity and loyalty
The . . . — — Map (db m128523) HM
Federal 14th A.C. advancing from Pace’s Fy. (largely on Howell Mill Rd.) were stubbornly resisted by Wheeler’s vastly outnumbered cavalry. Reynold’s Arkansans, Walthall’s div. Stewart’s A.C., were posted N. of the creek, July 14, to support . . . — — Map (db m23270) HM
July 20, 1864. Four regiments of Reynolds’ Arkansas brigade, Walthall’s div., Stewart’s A.C., [CS] having deployed abreast at old Mt. Zion Ch., moved in a right oblique across Howell Mill & Collier rds. into the wooded ravine. The assault fell upon . . . — — Map (db m16515) HM
Atlanta philanthropist and businessman Amos Giles Rhodes built Le Reve (The Dream) on his 114-acre estate in 1904. Designed by Atlanta architect Willis F. Denny II, the house is constructed of Stone Mountain granite and is distinguished by its early . . . — — Map (db m16350) HM
[Text on Top Marker]:
Roosevelt High School
September 1947 - June 1985
"Roosevelt We Hail Thee,
Our Great Alma Mater"
Alumni, Faculty and friends
2002 . . . — — Map (db m64288) HM
Gen. Alex. P. Stewart’s A.C. & the Ga. Militia remained in Atlanta after Hardee’s & S.D. Lee’s corps (CS) were shifted to Jonesboro Aug. 30, 1864.
With Hardee’s defeat at that place Aug. 31, Atlanta was abandoned, night of Sept. 1. Stewart’s A.C. & . . . — — Map (db m10410) HM
July 20, 1864. In the Battle of Peachtree Cr. the right of the Federal 20th A.C. (Ruger’s brigade, Williams’ div.) rested on Howell Mill Rd. in this vicinity. The line was prolonged W. to the Chattahoochee River by the 14th A.C., R. W. Johnson’s 1st . . . — — Map (db m23210) HM
On April 21, 1880, four Sisters of Mercy from Savannah, Georgia opened Atlanta's first permanent hospital, a 10-bed facility located on this site, where it remained for nearly 100 years.
During that time, the hospital grew in size and scope, . . . — — Map (db m106788) HM
The Rev Charles Todd Quintard, surgeon and priest severing as chaplain in the Confederate Army, organized St. Luke’s Parish Easter Monday, March 28, 1864. Confederate troops erected first building on the south side of Walton Street, between Broad . . . — — Map (db m51088) HM
Sand Town (Oktahatalofa) and Buzzard Roost (Sulecauga) were two frontier Creek Indian communities here on the Chattahoochee River. The old Sand Town Trail extended westward to the Coosa River in Alabama and eastward into what is now DeKalb County. . . . — — Map (db m14157) HM
Sardis Methodist Church is built on land taken from the Indians by Sy Donaldson and given to the church before this section of the State had been surveyed -- when land was platted by beeswax string, and there were no deeds. Believed to date from . . . — — Map (db m23340) HM
On the high hill 500 yds. S. of Collier Rd. the left of Scott’s brigade (27th, 35th &49th Ala., & 12th La.) Loring’s div. [CS] dislodged Geary’s outpost, [US] the 33d N.J. regt. & captured its flag.
Pressing forward, the left of Scott’s line . . . — — Map (db m29288) HM
This is the home of the Atlanta Chapter, D.A.R., organized April 15, 1891; oldest Chapter in Georgia; second oldest in the National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution. Mrs. Henry Jackson was first Regent.
Meetings were held in private . . . — — Map (db m30516) HM
55yds. S.E. an intrenched line of field works crossed this block extending S.W. to 7th St., where it turned N.W. to Juniper at 11th St.
This was a sector of the Federal siege line occupied by troops of Brig. Gen. T.J. Wood’s 3d div of Howard’s . . . — — Map (db m10413) HM
These duplexes are typical of the houses where Atlanta's blue-collar laborers lived in the early 1900s. The Empire Textile Co. built them for its white mill workers, but they moved out after the 1906 Atlanta race riot, and blacks began renting . . . — — Map (db m64774) HM
Left Panel For hundreds of years, a child leading a blind elder has been the fate of families stricken with river blindness (onchocerciasis)in Africa and Latin America. Now the demise of this ancient scourge is in sight, thanks to a drug . . . — — Map (db m73172) HM
Because of this elevation, Barret’s troops were able to communicate with Kennesaw Mountain by signal. Also this site was a fort in Atlanta city defense works.
July - August, 1864
In Commemoration - CLARK Equipment Company — — Map (db m29377) HM
Here stood the little frame edifice known as Ezra Church (Methodist), on a half-acre plot deeded by James & Nancy Coursey to the trustees Oct. 31, 1853. As a landmark, its name was given to the battle fought here July 28, 1864.
Col. Hugo . . . — — Map (db m51399) HM
The original Cheshire Bridge Road, crossing N. Fork Peachtree Cr. at this point, was the route taken by two divisions of Howard’s 4th A. C. moving to occupy a gap in the Federal line between Peachtree Rd. and Schofield's 23rd A. C. posted S. of . . . — — Map (db m28934) HM
Siege operations on the Atlanta front having failed, the Federals moved against the 2 R. R. S. of it. Howard’s Army of the Tenn., Thomas’ Army of the Cumberland & Schofield’s Army of the Ohio, struck the A. & W.P.R.R at this point.
Several . . . — — Map (db m61561) HM
Opposite to & N. of here was a 2-story white house (said to have been the residence of the Widow Pope) which figured prominently in this sector of the Battle of Atlanta, July 22, 1864.
As Manigault's brigade moved to the assault on the Federal line . . . — — Map (db m8883) HM
Est. March 1836; discontinued July 7, 1866; a stop on the Decatur Marthasville (Atlanta) and White Hall & Sandtown stagecoach route in intervening years: Also a landmark in the movement of Federal troops from the Atlanta siege lines to Red Oak and . . . — — Map (db m44413) HM
In 1852 the Atlanta City Council ruled that African Americans were to be buried in a segregated section at the rear of Oakland Cemetery, at the eastern boundary of the original 6 acres. By the beginning of the Civil war, more than 800 persons . . . — — Map (db m64824) HM
356 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 156