Boys Estate, Georgia`s town just for boys, is located one-half mile west of here, on a part of historic Elizafield Plantation. Elizafield, first the home of Dr. Robert Grant, later of his son, Hugh Fraser Grant, was one of the rich River Plantations . . . — — Map (db m12081) HM
Hopeton Plantation, of which Altama is a part, lies about 1.4 miles West of here. A model rice and sugar Plantation of the early 19th century, described in books by several travelers from Europe, Hopeton is best remembered as the home of James . . . — — Map (db m12128) HM
During World War II, the J.A. Jones Construction Company operated a plant approx. 1 mile south of this point on Brunswick`s waterfront. Between 1942 and 1944, a skilled labor force of over 16,000 men and women worked in service to the Allied war . . . — — Map (db m12046) HM
Brunswick's first public school for African Americans opened in 1870 as the Freedmen's School, later changed to Risley School to honor Captain Douglas Gilbert Risley, who raised funds for the school's construction. In 1923 the adjacent building, . . . — — Map (db m24680) HM
“You triumphed over obstacles which would have overcome men less brave and determined”
Hiker of ’98 (On base of soldier)
Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 -1902
By the Department of Georgia and . . . — — Map (db m62953) WM
Begun in year 1800 as New Hope Methodist Church on Laurel Grove Plantation 2 miles S. present site. 1833 original building moved to this site and name
changed to Emanuel. Hand hewn pillars and wooden pegs are visible. 1799 George Clark, sent by . . . — — Map (db m14443) HM
Glynn County, one of the eight original Counties of Georgia, was organized under the 1777 Constitution of the State of Georgia. It was named in honor of John Glynn, a member of the British House of Commons who defended the cause of the American . . . — — Map (db m12226) HM
The men of Glynn County
who served their country and
to those named who gave their
lives for the preservation
of liberty and freedom
1917 The World War 1918
Arnold, . . . — — Map (db m13130) WM
During his visits to Brunswick in the 1870`s Sidney Lanier, Georgia's greatest poet, frequently sat beneath this live oak tree and looked out over "a world of marsh that borders a world of sea." Here he received the inspiration which resulted in . . . — — Map (db m12300) HM
'neath this gracious tree
stood Sidney Lanier and
under inspiration of the
oak and the marsh wrote
The Marshes Of Glynn
" I will heartily lay me a-hold on the greatness of God :
Oh, like to the greatness of God is the greatness . . . — — Map (db m12554) HM
Brunswick`s first settler came to Georgia in 1738 with Oglethorpe`s regiment. He was granted 500 acres at this place, on which he established his plantation.
Several tabby buildings erected by him stood nearby and a military outpost was . . . — — Map (db m12429) HM
Was a guest in this home on many occasions in the 1870`s. It was then the residence of his wife`s brother, Henry C. Day. On these visits Lanier became acquainted with "The Marshes of Glynn" which he immortalized. — — Map (db m12390) HM
[Upper right corner is the Prisoner of War and Missing in Action (POW/MIA) emblem]
• The 77,000 Georgians who served in World War I;
the 1,937 KIA; 3,319 WIA; 67 Ex-POWs and 54 MIA
• The 324,373 Georgians who served in World War II; . . . — — Map (db m72025) WM
This one room school house provided elementary education, grades Kindergarten through Eighth, to the Brookman Community from the year 1907 to 1955.
This structure is an example of early African-American Vernacular. In the early years of the . . . — — Map (db m107074) HM
Dedicated to the gallant sailors of the U.S.
Merchant Marine and the U.S. Navy Armed Guard,
who sailed, fought and died on those famous
Liberty Ships and other merchant ships of the
U.S. Maritime Service. This community is forever
grateful for . . . — — Map (db m11775) HM
Under the original
landscape plan, 50 plots of land were laid out around the Clubhouse in a very community-oriented fashion. However, not all of the members chose to build their own cottages on these plots.
Over the years a thriving . . . — — Map (db m115070) HM
With only drive and ambition, Frank Henry Goodyear rose from a $35-per-month bookkeeper to the head of a vast lumber, coal, iron, and railroad empire.
Far from viewing Jekyll Island as a place to escape the stresses of business, Goodyear . . . — — Map (db m115120) HM
They came by water.
Long before the present-day causeway was built, the only way to reach Jekyll Island was by boat. Large steam-powered vessels from the North such as the Mallory Steamship Line delivered Club staff and sundry personal items . . . — — Map (db m115064) HM
Gateway and supplier to Jekyll Island was the busy port of Brunswick.
Located at the mouth of the East River and accessible to even the largest ocean-going vessels, its docks and warehouses were laden with cargo.
Railways eager to . . . — — Map (db m115057) HM
There were two Captain Wyllys in the history of Jekyll. It is believed the road was named for Charles Spalding Wylly (1836- 1923), Captain in the Confederate Army, 1st Georgia Regulars, a descendant of Clement Martin, who was granted on April 5, . . . — — Map (db m17228) HM
The corridor of Pier Road was not only the hub of service for the Jekyll Island Club, it was also the heart of the community for countless employees.
Yes, here you would find a taxidermy shop, upholstery shop, coal storage, woodsheds and . . . — — Map (db m115093) HM
In 1861, Confederate battery positions on Jekyll Island were equipped with one 42-pounder gun and four 32-pounder navy guns en barbette, each having about 60 rounds of shot and shell. Casemates, hot shot furnace and magazines are recorded, also. Of . . . — — Map (db m17187) HM
At the heart of any luxury resort or vacation retreat is sumptuous lodging. When the Jekyll Island Club incorporated in 1885, they knew that the success of the Club depended on a splendid but simple elegant Clubhouse. The Dubignon farmhouse . . . — — Map (db m17262) HM
The brick outline that you see in front of you marks the former Location of Fairbank Cottage.
When Chicago manufacturer Nathaniel Kellogg Fairbank purchased the lot in 1889, he was excited about the possibilities of his new cottage. Fairbank . . . — — Map (db m115121) HM
First Transcontinental Telephone call was submitted by a telephone of this type January 25, 1915. Mr. Theodore N. Vail, President American Telephone and Telegraph Company talked from Jekyll Island, Georgia to Mr. Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of . . . — — Map (db m18494) HM
William Horton, " Undersheriff of Herefordshire,"
England came to Georgia in 1736. He built this
building for his plantation residence and it was
his home until his death in 1749. Major Horton
succeeded Oglethorpe as Commander of the
Regiment . . . — — Map (db m18431) HM
William Horton worked and lived on this island until his death in 1748. He made numerous improvements to the land, unfortunately many of these buildings have been lost to time, and hidden by the sandy soil.
Horton . . . — — Map (db m17263) HM
By the end of the 18th century, William
Horton's small farm had become a large and
prosperous plantation. After Horton's death, the
island had several owners prior to the arrival
of Christophe Anne Poulain du Bignon in 1791.
Christophe . . . — — Map (db m17338) HM
Jekyll Island was vey isolated from St.
Simons and Brunswick in the 18th & 19th
centuries. Due to this isolation the du Bignon
family was mostly self-sufficient, as were
previous owners of the island such as William
Horton. What is now . . . — — Map (db m17445) HM
William Horton decided to travel to Georgia with General James Oglethorpe in 1735. Unlike many passengers on the ship, Symond, he paid for his passage to America from England. Horton was granted 500 acres in return for paying for his . . . — — Map (db m17342) HM
The plantation that Christophe Du Bignon
established at the beginning of the nineteeth
century had its good and bad years.
When Christophe's youngest son, Henri,
married Ann Amelia Nicolau in 1808, they were
given 40 acres of planted . . . — — Map (db m18617) HM
There is very little photo documentation of
exactly what the Boathouse looked like during
the Club era. Club members rarely would have
been found in this area, It was typically used
by year-round employees.
The only . . . — — Map (db m18565) HM
Here anchored the most luxurious pleasure craft in the world during the existence of the Jekyll Island Club, 1886-1942. No other yacht was comparable to John Pierpont Morgan's several Corsairs. Corsair II, too large to dock, anchored in the . . . — — Map (db m17405) HM
Horton - Du Bignon House
Du Bignon Burial Ground
Beginning with Poulain du Bignon, five du Bignon generations made Jekyll Island one of Georgia`s most romantic Golden Isles. This tabby ruin and burial ground alone remain from Jekyll Island's . . . — — Map (db m18497) HM
Melvin E. Thompson, Acting Governor, 1947-1949, was born in Millen, Jenkins County, Georgia, in 1903. After a career as educator and public servant, Thompson was elected Lieutenant Governor for the term beginning January, 1947. Following the death . . . — — Map (db m17207) HM
Born in England Came to Georgia in 1736 Died at Savannah in 1748
These are the remains of Horton's tabby house. Major Horton of Oglethorpe's Regiment, the first English resident of Jekyll Island, erected on the north end of Jekyll a . . . — — Map (db m17577) HM
What to do when you require privacy from the overflowing crowds of guests at the Clubhouse, but want to take advantage of its world-class French chef, new billiards wing, and the cheerful fireplace of the main parlor ? The answer for Henry B. . . . — — Map (db m75571) HM
By 1905, tennis was gaining popularity on the island over hunting. Robert Pruyn, chairman of the committee on golf and sports, said, "For two years, tennis has been the most popular outdoor sport," and requested additional courts to be . . . — — Map (db m115049) HM
Keeping the peace
as well as providing superior service was a difficult task. These two skills and countless other responsibilities were entrusted to the Club superintendent. Men such as J. P. Morgan, Joseph Pulitzer and Henry Hyde knew . . . — — Map (db m115112) HM
This burying ground contains the bodies of several members of the du Bignon family, descendants of Le Sieur Christophe Poulain de la Houssaye du Bignon, native of Saint-Malo in Brittany. One of four Frenchmen, former residents of Sapelo Island, who . . . — — Map (db m17509) HM
Chartered by the State of Georgia to be trustworthy stewards of the island, the Jekyll Island Authority has been very active in the preservation of the National Historic Landmark District. The rehabilitation of Crane Cottage and Cherokee in . . . — — Map (db m115050) HM
On October 23, 1958, a coal mining disaster in Springhill, Nova Scotia trapped 174 men underground. The coverage of this disaster was the first international event to be broadcast live on television.
In the hope of harnessing the media . . . — — Map (db m115128) HM
Tabby was the building material for walls, floors, and roofs widely used throughout coastal Georgia during the Military and Plantation Eras. It was composed of equal parts of sand, lime, oyster shell and water mixed into a mortar and poured into . . . — — Map (db m17578) HM
With a family of eight Charles Stewart Maurice quickly decided accommodations of the Club House would not suffice. In 1890 he built Hollybourne, with plenty of large open, informal spaces, a home away from home during their winter stays here . . . — — Map (db m72656) HM
Edwin Gould purchased Chichota cottage within 5 days of his first visit to Jekyll Island in December of 1900. He quickly began modifying the cottage for his family’s arrival in March. Edwin made a commitment to the Island, purchasing several . . . — — Map (db m72663) HM
This is the site of the Jekyll Island Club Boat House where the 100 foot steamer The Jekyll Island was stored during the off season. (The Club season was usually from after New Years until before Easter).
There was no Jekyll Creek bridge . . . — — Map (db m17462) HM
The Executive Committee hired architect Charles Alexander to design the Clubhouse. He designed the building in a Queen Anne style that complemented the natural beauty of the island and emphasized the rustic simplicity that the Jekyll Island Club . . . — — Map (db m115048) HM
On the Move
When first constructed in 1890, Furness Cottage stood as a lone sentry in the southern portion of the Club compound.
The growing popularity of cottage construction led to its first move, off of Riverview Drive.
. . . — — Map (db m115114) HM
The Skeet House is not in its original location, but stands as a symbol of the core philosophy that the Jekyll Island Club was founded upon – outdoor recreation.
The Skeet House, along with the Skeet and Trap Range, was constructed in . . . — — Map (db m81699) HM
Within sight and sound of St. Simons Island, Jekyll Island was ideal for entertaining Spanish visitors to the settlement at Frederica. Major William Horton, resident of the island, received the guests
while Oglethorpe on St. Simons, with cannon . . . — — Map (db m17281) HM
Early in the morning, early in the century, it happened: Solterra caught fire. Built by charter member Frederick Baker in 1890, the house was an emblem of the nineteenth century: proper, discrete, upright. The old century seemed to be going . . . — — Map (db m72668) HM
Great Dunes Park is named for the historic Great Dunes Golf Course, designed by Walter Travis. Travis was considered the most successful amateur golfer in the United States during the 1900s and 1910s. The golf course was an 18-hole course placed . . . — — Map (db m115154) HM
Needwood Baptist Church was organized in 1866 on nearby Broadfield Plantation as Broadfield Baptist Church of the Zion Baptist Association. This structure, built in the 1870s, was redesigned in 1885 when the church moved its congregation here. Its . . . — — Map (db m13575) HM
The skirmish at Bloody Marsh was more than a battle.
It was a clash of cultures - each vying for control of
what is now the southeastern United States.
Soldiers from Hispanic colonies in the New World
fought under the Spanish banner, with the . . . — — Map (db m63869) HM
On October 21, 1735, John and Charles Wesley and General James Oglethorpe (founder of the colony of Georgia) and eighty-four other passengers sailed from England on the ship "The Simmonds". After a hundred and fourteen days they sailed into the . . . — — Map (db m12549) HM
(Front) A Mission By The SeaIn 1949, the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church purchased 43.53 acres of the Hamilton Plantation from the Sea Island Company for a Christian conference center. They named "Epworth" after the . . . — — Map (db m12553) HM
“Two coins were found on the floor. One was a British penny dated 1755, and the other was a United States cent dated 1798.” Archeological Report
The life span of Frederica was brief. Most of the ruins you see represent . . . — — Map (db m70227) HM
We are resolved not to suffer
defeat - we will rather die like
Leonidas and his Spartans - if we
can but protect Georgia and
Carolina and the rest of the Americans
from desolation Oglethorpe
Erected on the battlefield . . . — — Map (db m63868) HM
During the late morning of July 7, 1742 Georgia Rangers guarding the military road approach to the town of Frederica sighted a force of over 100 Spanish soldiers and their Indian allies. James Edward
Oglethorpe, founder of Georgia, quickly . . . — — Map (db m11634) HM
"The town is divided into several ? streets along ? sides are planted orange trees… London Magazine 1745
Imagine a typical day here on Broad Street in the early 1740s. Women worked in fenced gardens. Children played in the streets. . . . — — Map (db m70223) HM
In 1793 John Couper, with his partner James Hamilton, purchased Cannon's Point in northeastern St. Simons Island. In addition to the production of cotton, Couper experimented with citrus trees, grapes, date palms from Persia, mulberry trees for silk . . . — — Map (db m30167) HM
In 1736 Captain Gascoigne of the
British Sloop-of War Hawk,established
here at Gascoigne Bluff the base for
the naval defense of the Colony of
Georgia. The Spaniards landed here
in the invasion of 1742.
In 1794 Live Oak timbers were cut
on . . . — — Map (db m13414) HM
These houses were slave cabins on the Gascoigne Bluff section of Hamilton Plantation which was developed in 1793 by James Hamilton into one of the largest estates on St. Simons Island.
Eventually this Gascoigne Bluff area was given to Glynn . . . — — Map (db m11810) HM
Here are buried former Rectors of Christ Church and their families, the families of early settlers and of plantation days, officers of the British Army, and soldiers of every war in which our country fought. The oldest tombstone is dated 1803 but it . . . — — Map (db m12346) HM
This congregation was established as a mission of the Church of England in February, 1736. The Rev. Charles Wesley, ordained priest of that Church, conducted the first services in the chapel within the walls of Fort Frederica. The Rev. John Wesley, . . . — — Map (db m17449) HM
The first fortification built by the British on the South End of St. Simons Island was erected near this site in April, 1736, by soldiers of the South Carolina Independent Company under the command of Lieutenant Philip Delegal. Before coming to St. . . . — — Map (db m12167) HM
From the site of the Battle of Bloody Marsh to the intersection with Ocean Boulevard, this road is part of the Military Road, sometimes called The King’s High Road, which was built by Frederica settlers in 1738 to connect Fort Frederica and Fort St. . . . — — Map (db m12473) HM
The Spanish established several
missions along Georgia's coastal sea
islands. Two missions were located on
St. Simons Island, called " Isla De
Guadalquini" by the Spanish: Santo
Domingo de Asajo (Guale) and San
Buenaventura de Guadalquini . . . — — Map (db m13431) HM
Epworth by the SeaJohn and Charles Wesley were born in a parsonage with thatched roof and solidly built walls in Epworth, England. This home was destroyed by fire when John was six years old. All the family were able to escape except John. From . . . — — Map (db m12560) HM
In 1736, on this historic site, Fort Frederica was constructed by the early settlers of the Colony of Georgia under General James Edward Oglethorpe. It was the strongest fortification built by Great Britain on American soil and its purpose was to . . . — — Map (db m18909) HM
On this site Fort St.Simons was built by
English troops under command of General
James Edward Oglethorpe in 1738. It guarded
the entrance to the Frederica River through
which ships must pass to reach Fort Frederica.
With nearby Delegal's Fort, . . . — — Map (db m81904) HM
British settlement on St. Simons Island dates from 1736 when General James Edward Oglethorpe established the fortified town of Frederica seven miles northwest of today's lighthouse. Fort Frederica served as a defense against the Spanish in Florida . . . — — Map (db m106265) HM
" Frederica is situated on the Island of
St. Simons, in the middle of an Indian
field where our people found 30 or 40
acres cleared by them."
A Voyage to Georgia
The first british settlers landed here . . . — — Map (db m18823) HM
John Calwell, the candlemaker, " had
built lately a large house of three storied
high which was looked on to be the best
in town, with storehouses, etc. for carrying
on the trade..."
Journal of William Stephens
June 25, 1745 During . . . — — Map (db m18906) HM
" Some houses are built entirely of brick, some
of brick and wood, some few of tappy-work; but
most of the meaner sort of wood only."
London Magazine 1745 When Frederica was established in 1736, each
freeholder was given a lot 60 foot . . . — — Map (db m18905) HM
Mary Musgrove Matthews " has always
been in great esteen with the General,... for
being half Indian by extract, she had a very
great influence upon many of them, particulary
the Creek Nation...."
February 22, 1740 . . . — — Map (db m18908) HM
" The inhabitants of the town went
out on the 25th [September 1738] with
the General and cut a road through
the woods down to the soldiers fort..."
January 1739 In front of you lies the trace of the . . . — — Map (db m18911) HM
" This Frederica is a very strange place; it
was once a town-the town,the metropolis of
Francis Anne Kemble
Visitor to Frederica
1839 Here, in unknown graves more than two centries old,
lie many of the early settlers of . . . — — Map (db m18907) HM
" There are barracks in the town on
the north side,ninety feet square, built of tappy,
covered by cypress shingles; and a handsome
tower over the gateway...."
October 23, 1747 At the time of the Spanish attack in 1742, . . . — — Map (db m18917) HM
" In the morning, Mr. Oglethorpe began
to mark out a fort with four bastions, and
taught the men how to dig the ditch, and
raise and turf the rampart."
A Voyage to Georgia General Oglethorpe chose this . . . — — Map (db m18915) HM
Throughout the ages Gascoigne Bluff has been the gateway to St. Simons Island. An Indian village was located here. Capt. James Gascoigne of HM Sloop-of-war, HAWK, which convoyed the Frederica settlers on their voyage across the Atlantic in 1736, . . . — — Map (db m12229) HM
Throughout the ages Gascoigne Bluff has been the gateway to St. Simons Island. An Indian village was located here. Capt. James Gascoigne of HM Sloop-of-was, HAWK, which convoyed the Frederica settlers on their voyage across the Atlantic in 1736, . . . — — Map (db m13415) HM
Here in 1736, Oglethorpe settled a group of German Lutherans, known as Salzburgers, and their settlement was called the German Village. These Salzburgers made their living by planting, fishing, and selling their products to the Frederica settlers. . . . — — Map (db m12389) HM
In 1800 James Hamilton, with his partner John Couper, purchased land at Gascoigne Bluff. Under Hamilton’s stewardship, Hamilton Plantation became one of the major St. Simons producers of long-staple cotton. After Hamilton moved to Philadelphia, . . . — — Map (db m19084) HM
In 1774 Major Pierce Butler of South Carolina purchased Hampton Point in northwestern St. Simons Island, and by the 1790s Hampton was developed into the island's largest cotton plantation in land and slave population. Signer of the Constitution and . . . — — Map (db m51975) HM
Capt. Raymond Demere, a native of France, served many years in the British army at Gibraltar before coming to Georgia in 1738 as an officer in Oglethorpe´s Regiment. His home, Harrington Hall, was located at this site.
Later generations of . . . — — Map (db m14670) HM
The present lighthouse was
commissioned by the U.S.
Government in 1867 to be
built adjacent to the site of
the 1810 tower. The 104' tower
and keeper's dwelling were
designed by the noted
architect Charles Clusky.
Clusky and . . . — — Map (db m13486) HM
Constructed in 1880 by Norman Dodge, repaired in 1897 after a hurricane damaged it, the Chapel was designed by architect G.W.Laine of Atlanta. It was originally known as Union Church and later connsecrated [sic] as St. James . . . — — Map (db m12552) HM
In February of 1984, an expedition launched from
St. Simons Island discovered the calving grounds of
the North Atlantic Right Whale. Female whales
give birth in nearby coastal waters during the winter
months; But the young calves and their . . . — — Map (db m55024) HM
Spain maintained missions along this coast for more than a century. Beginning in 1568 Jesuit and, later, Franciscan missionaries labored to Christianize the Indians and cultivated in the mission gardens figs, peaches, oranges and other plants . . . — — Map (db m12430) HM
In circa 1740, James Oglethorpe established a watch house west of here on the bank of the Frederica River. In 1745, Edward Kimber described this site as a place "from whence they can see Vessels a great Way to the Northward" and it served as a . . . — — Map (db m73889) HM
In 1804 William Page purchased land on St. Simons Sound and named it Retreat. With later purchases, Retreat became one of the preeminent plantations on St. Simons Island for the production of long-staple cotton. In 1827 the Pages' only child, Anna . . . — — Map (db m11273) HM
Side 1: Reverends John & Charles Wesley
“About 3:30 in the afternoon I first set foot on St. Simons Island and immediately my spirits revived.” Charles Wesley, March 9, 1736.
Ordained ministers of the . . . — — Map (db m58588) HM
After midnight on April 8, 1942, the German submarine U-123 was in position off the St. Simons Island sea buoy. Minutes later it chased and torpedoed two tankers, the Oklahoma and Esso Baton Rouge, killing twenty-two crew members. Survivors were . . . — — Map (db m15609) HM
“The soldiers have the privilege of cutting timber and building houses for their families, which many have done, and thrive very well.” London Magazine 1747
The first settler on this lot was John LeValley, Jr., a . . . — — Map (db m70226) HM
This was the plantation of Archibald Sinclair, tything man of the town of Frederica. In 1765 it was granted to Donald Forbes as bounty land for his services in Oglethorpe`s regiment. Forbes sold to Gen. Lachlan McIntosh of Revolutionary War fame, . . . — — Map (db m12509) HM
From March 9 - May 12, 1738, Charles Wesley, secretary to James Oglethorpe, was Anglican cleric to the founders of Fort Frederica. His stern discipline earned disfavor among the colonists and Oglethorpe. John Wesley, religious leaders of the colony . . . — — Map (db m12155) HM
St. Simons park was the site of a Mocama Indian village of approximately 100-200 people. The inhabitants used marine resources, agriculture, square wattle and daub houses, stamped and incised Irene style ceramics, and burial mounds characteristic of . . . — — Map (db m12262) HM
The settlers of St Simon’s Island in the 1700s used an unusual building material—oyster shells. The colonists found piles of them when they arrived here, discards from long-ago feasts of the local Guale and Mocama Indians. These mounds of . . . — — Map (db m70176) HM
Ann and Levi Bennett, “kept a good public house there (Frederica), and after her husband’s death married (Samuel) Lee who is an idle fellow, and her businesses is almost lost.” A List of the Early Settlers of Georgia 1763 . . . — — Map (db m70228) HM
In 1804, Scottish-born plantation owner
John Couper sold four acres of land for $1 to the
new United States government to build the first
St. Simons Light Station.James Gould was hired
to design and build the lighthouse . . . — — Map (db m13463) HM
“In short, provisions in general are plentiful; venison, beef, pork at two pence, half-penny per pound, and sometimes under. Fish extremely cheap.” William Thompson, London Magazine 1747
Records identify this lot as the . . . — — Map (db m70225) HM
During the American Revolution four heavily-armed row galleys were constructed in Savannah for the Georgia Navy, all underwritten by the Continental Congress. In nearby Frederica River, beginning at dawn on April 19, 1778, Georgia galleys Lee, . . . — — Map (db m10088) HM
Surely the most important aspect of
the lighthouse to the mariner is the light
that emanates from the tower. The tall, white
beacon also serves as a day-mark. The light,
a 1,000 watt electric bulb, is reflected by a
fixed 3rd Order . . . — — Map (db m13464) HM
The Military Road connecting Fort Frederica with Fort Saint Simons, crossed at this point. Built in 1738 by British forces under Oglethorpe and used during the Battle of Bloody Marsh.
W.P.A. 1936 D.A.R. — — Map (db m72672) HM
“The town is surrounded by a rampart with flankers, of the same thickness with that round the fort…” London Magazine 1745
The tree-covered embankment in front of you is a remnant of a mile-long earthen wall that once . . . — — Map (db m73888) HM
Not far from this spot stood the "great tree" under which Charles Wesley had prayers and preached, March 14, 1736, the first Sunday after his arrival. There were about twenty people present, among whom was Mr. Oglethorpe. A year later, Georgia . . . — — Map (db m12370) HM
The Lighthouse and Keeper's Dwelling were completed in 1872, replacing the Lighthouse destroyed during the Civil War. Orlando Poe, chief engineer for the U.S. Lighthouse Board, supervised the design. Charles Cluskey, the architect of many . . . — — Map (db m106303) HM
This road, formerly an Indian trail which paralleled the coast, was used by the Spanish and British. In 1778 it was traveled by Revolutionary soldiers who marched against Fort Tonyn. The first mail service south of Savannah was established over this . . . — — Map (db m14444) HM