During the early 1800’s, northern Georgia was heart of the sovereign, independent Cherokee Indian Nation. By this time Cherokee were the most progressive Indian tribe in North America. In 1821, they became the first American Indians with a written . . . — — Map (db m11567) HM
During the advance of Sherman's forces S. from Resaca, May 16-17, 1864, the (US) 4th, followed by the 14th Corps, marched by this and nearby roads, pursuing Johnston`s forces (CS) which had evacuated Resaca the night before. Newton's Div., leading . . . — — Map (db m11021) HM
Otherwise known as the Octagon or Gravel House ~ an eight~sided stone residence, built in 1856, on the knoll east of here. May 17, 1864, a rear guard action between Cheatham’s Div., Hardee’s A. C. and Newton’s 2d Div., 4th A. C. was fought along . . . — — Map (db m11056) HM
May 16, 1864. Butterfield's (3rd) div. 20th A.C., (US) instead of crossing at McClure's Ferry 2mi. downstream, sought to gain time by moving to Field's -- reaching here 11 P.M. Not until noon of the 17th was it across.
Schofield, prevented . . . — — Map (db m16291) HM
The two-story portion of this house was the Oothcaloga Moravian Mission Station, serving this region of the Cherokee Nation from 1822 until 1833. John Gambold, whose grave lies 100 yards east, was first missionary here.
Built in 1821 by Joseph . . . — — Map (db m60002) HM
May 14, 1864. A contingent from Sweeny´s (2d) div., 16th A.C. [US] made a crossing here in pontoon boats, but on a rumor of Confederate crossings upstream, it withdrew. May 15. The division, supported by Welker´s Artillery [US], crossed in force & . . . — — Map (db m13865) HM
Battle of Resaca fought
near here May 14 and 15, 1864
Calhoun Honors Her
(south . . . — — Map (db m87048) WM
Gen. J.E Johnston’s three Corps, [CS] after 2 days of battle at Resaca -- outflanked by superior Federal forces -- withdrew S. Hood’s Corps marched by a road 1 mile E.; Polk’s & Hardee’s on direct road to Calhoun -- Polk continued to Adairsville. . . . — — Map (db m19279) HM
Erected in honor of the Cherokee Nation by the United States Government in 1931 on the site of New Echota, last capital of the Cherokee Indians east of the Mississippi River.
The Cherokee Nation, composed of twenty thousand . . . — — Map (db m65817) HM
This county was named for William Washington Gordon, of Savannah (1796-1842). The first Georgian to graduate at West Point, he entered the practice of law and was a pioneer in the railroad field in this State. He was the founder and first President . . . — — Map (db m19295) HM
Circuit Riders 1847-1853
Formally established 18 October 1853
1st Painted Church in Northwest Georgia
Only Church Where Union and Confederates Worshipped Together in Same Service During the War – April 1864
Union Field . . . — — Map (db m60026) HM
The Cherokee Nation of Indians established the first Indian-language newspaper, the Cherokee Phoenix, on this site in 1828. Edited by Cherokee Elias Boudinot and later by Elijah Hicks, the Cherokee Phoenix was printed bi-lingually in the Sequoyan . . . — — Map (db m65819) HM
May 16, 1864, Walker´s div. of Hardee´s A.C. [CS], having delayed McPherson´s troops (15th & 16th A.C.) [US], at Lay´s Ferry ( 3.25 mi. N.W.) the day before,
was joined here by 2 division ~ Bate´s and Cleburne’s [CS]. Deploying on both sides of . . . — — Map (db m13919) HM
Lay’s or Tanner’s Ferry, Oostanaula River, was 1.5 mi., S. W. of this point ~ access road thereto no longer existing.
May 14, 1864, Sweeny’s (2d) div. 16th A. C. [US] moved to Lay’s Ferry & effected crossing by one brigade but a false rumor of . . . — — Map (db m57575) HM
In May 1864, while on its way to Kennesaw and Atlanta Campaigns, the Army of the North seiged Liberty Church and grounds for use as a field hospital.
During the occupation numerous soldiers suffered the trauma of amputation. These body parts . . . — — Map (db m60027) HM
The sprawling town of New Town which had stood here since 1819 was designated the seat Of government for the Cherokee Nation in a legislative act of 1825 and it was renamed New Echota for a former principal town in Tennessee. In its short history . . . — — Map (db m67572) HM
On the hilltop, 100 yards to the south, is the cemetery for the village of New Echota. The marked graves are those of Pathkiller, Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation until his death in 1827 and a colonel in Morgan's regiment in the War of 1812, . . . — — Map (db m11570) HM
The head of the Oostanaula River is formed 200 yards northeast by the confluence of the Coosawattee and the Conasauga Rivers. The passage of travelers and freight along the Tennessee Road was served at this point by a ferry operated by the Cherokee . . . — — Map (db m11057) HM
May 16, 1864 Williams’ 1st & Geary’s 2d divs., 20th A. C. [US], crossed the Coosawattee at McClure’s Ferry near Pine Chapel, & night of the 17th, reached this cross-roads -- Buschbeck’s brigade of Geary’s div. camping on the Peters plantation. . . . — — Map (db m30560) HM
Roland Hayes, the first internationally renowned African - American classical singer was born in Gordon County and performed at this site, the former Calhoun High Auditorium. Hayes opened doors for African - American concert and opera performers and . . . — — Map (db m13916) HM
Originator of the Cherokee Indian alphabet.
Two miles east of this spot is New Echota, the last Indian capital in Georgia, where Sequoyah lived.
Here was published the "Cherokee Phoenix," only
newspaper edited in an Indian language. . . . — — Map (db m87047) HM
Constructed in 1847 by the
Western & Atlantic Rail Road
Purchased by the
City of Calhoun 1990
Roof Donation by the
Calhoun Woman's Club 1991
Renovated by the
City of Calhoun 1996/97
Construction Project Manager
Councilman . . . — — Map (db m87057)
The New Echota Treaty of 1835 relinquished Cherokee Indian claims to lands east of the Mississippi River. The majority of the Cherokee people considered the treaty fraudulent and refused to leave their homelands in Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, . . . — — Map (db m10051) HM
May 17, 1864: Butterfield's (3d) div., 20th A.C [US], marched this way from Field’s Mill, Coosawattee River, enroute to Kingston & camped at the Smith farm 2 ½ miles N. of Mosteller’s Mills. May 18: Schofield's 23d A.C [US], marching from . . . — — Map (db m19284) HM
National Historic Site
May 13-15, 1864
In this vicinity the Confederate lines North and West of Resaca held firm against Federal attack. Sherman then executed a successful flank movement to the west and . . . — — Map (db m44790) HM
May 14: Stewart’s Div., Hood’s Corps (CS) moved from intrenchments near the John Green house and attacked left of Federals then extending toward the State R. R. This attack fell upon the left of Stanley ’s (1st) div., 4th A. C. and 5th lnd. Battery . . . — — Map (db m10971) HM
May 16, 1864. Johnston's forces (CS) withdrew from Resaca via pontoon, R. R. & trestle bridges over the Oostanaula River. The 4th & two divs. Of the 14th Corps (US) rebuilt 2 bridges which had been burned & followed the retreating Confederates S., . . . — — Map (db m11551) HM
May 13, 1864, McPherson's 15th and 16th A.C. (US) moving from Snake Creek Gap reached this cross-roads where his forces were deployed for advance toward Camp Cr. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick's Cav. Div. (US) led advance; during a sharp engagement he was . . . — — Map (db m11552) HM
0.5 mi. W. is Camp Creek Valley, scene of the 23rd Corps (US) assaults on Hood's left and Hardee's right (CS), May 14. On ridge 0.2 mi. W. was the position of Wood's (3rd) Div., 4th A.C. and Capt. Wm. Wheeler's 13th New York battery (US), May . . . — — Map (db m11553) HM
At this point the intrenched line of Gen. John B. Hood's Corps (CS) crossed the road ~ this corps being one of the three composing Gen. J.E. Johnston's Army of Tennessee. Line faced N., Hindman's Div. (CS) on the left extended W. to Camp Creek . . . — — Map (db m11554) HM
Hood's line, (CS) beginning E. at State R.R. ran W. to point atop ridge (S) where Hardee's rt. joined it & together with Polk's Corps, (CS) the line was prolonged 3 miles S. to the Oostanaula River.
May 13, 1864, Sherman's forces (US) reached the . . . — — Map (db m11555) HM
A portion of Hood's A. C. (CS), thrust forward to hold ridge in fork of cr. was driven back to hills this side of the valley & N. of the road. Cox's ( 3d ) Div., 23d A. C. (US) having taken the ridge in creek - fork, was relieved by 4th A.C. which . . . — — Map (db m11556) HM
May 13, 1864. The 15th and the 16th A.C. (US) deployed astride road on ridges W. of those next to and this side of Camp Creek, where Polk's Corps (CS) was posted. May 14: The 15th and the 16th A.C. drove Polk's troops across creek from this ridges . . . — — Map (db m11557) HM
The Battle of Resaca was one of the few places where the entire armies of Sherman and Johnston faced each other in the Atlanta Campaign. Judah´s (2nd) Div., 23rd Army Corps & part of the 14th Corps [US] moved from the high bluff west of Camp Creek ¾ . . . — — Map (db m13914) HM
Established shortly after the war by Miss Mary J. Green & Associates for burial of Confederate soldiers who fell at the battle of Resaca. May 14, 1864, Maj. Gen. A. P. Stewart´s Div., Hood´s A. C. (rt. Of Johnston´s line) [CS], posted 600 yds. N. . . . — — Map (db m13915) HM
Hovey’s 1st and Judah’s 2d divs. Of Sheffield’s 23 A.C. [US], enroute from Resaca battlefield crossed the Conasauga river at Fite's Fy. intending to pass the Coosawattee at McClure’s Ferry, 1.25 mi. east of here. But the 20th A.C. [US], diverted . . . — — Map (db m19281) HM
May 16, 1864. Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker (20th A. C.) [US], moving E. from Resaca, with orders to cross at Newtown Fy., elected to usurp the crossing at McClure’s thereby forcing Schofield’s 23d A. C. [US] to proceed E. to Field’s Mill & Ferry. . . . — — Map (db m19283) HM
This tablet is dedicated by the Atlanta Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy to the memory of Miss Mary Green, who established this Resaca Cemetery –- the first in this state -- for our Confederate soldiers.
Made by the . . . — — Map (db m26347) HM
May 14, 1864. After being driven from hills W. of Camp Creek by troops of the 15th and 16th Corps (US), Polk's A.C. (CS) was aligned on the E. side of the creek, its center posted on a chain of hills S. of this road and overlooking the creek ~ its . . . — — Map (db m11558) HM
May 18, 1864. Maj. Gen. J.D. Cox's (3d) Div., 23d A.C. (US) marching S. from Field's Mill, Coosawattee River, via Cash, took the direct rd. to Sonora. Moving S. 4 mi., the div. turned W. on the Fairmount-Adairsville rd. to Mosteller's Mills (near . . . — — Map (db m16290) HM
May 8, 1864. McPherson´s 15th and 16th Corps [US] seized Snake Creek Gap. On the 9th, attempting to destroy the R. R. at Resaca, (defended by Cantey´s Div. of Polk’s Corps), [CS] McPherson was forced to withdraw to the mouth of the gap where he . . . — — Map (db m13913) HM