Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Greene County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Bishop George Foster Pierce Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, November 30, 2002
Bishop George Foster Pierce Marker
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — Bishop George Foster Pierce(1811-1884)
Born February 3 in 1811 near Greensboro, George Foster Pierce was converted while at the University in Athens; in 1830 he followed his father, Dr. Lovick Pierce, into the Methodist ministry. He was first assigned twenty-two preaching stations on the . . . — Map (db m14731) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — First Commissioner of Agriculture
In 1874, the Georgia Department of Agriculture was established by Act of the Legislature with Thomas P. Janes serving as its first Commissioner, 1874-79. Commissioner Janes, born 1823 in present Taliaferro County, (formerly the eastern part of . . . — Map (db m14726) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-7 — Fort Mathews»»— 2 mi. →
About two miles South, in the fork of the Appalachee and Oconee rivers, stood Fort Mathews, built in 1793. From this fort, Thomas Houghton observed the activities of General Elijah Clark and his land hungry followers as they built forts and . . . — Map (db m15809) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-1 — Greene County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 3, 1786, is named for Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene, the strategist who ranked second only to Gen. Washington. Born in Rhode Island in 1742, he died at his Georgia plantation in 1786. Seven miles . . . — Map (db m42718) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 66-2 — Historic Springfield Baptist Church
Springfield Baptist Church was established on January 27, 1864 prior to the abolition of slavery, and is among the first African-American churches founded in Middle Georgia. Enslaved workers purchased land from Mrs. Nancy Bickers and began monthly . . . — Map (db m38893) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-5 — Old Greene County "Gaol"<------<<<<
The old rock jail in the rear of the Court House is patterned after the bastilles where prisoners were housed and punished a hundred or more years ago. Built of granite about two feet thick, it is two stories in height and has a trap door in the . . . — Map (db m15807) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — Sheriff L. L. Wyatt
[Marker Front]: This 1895 jail is named for the legendary Sheriff, Loy Lee Wyatt, who enforced the laws in Greene County for fifty-two years until his death in 1977. Sheriff L.L. Wyatt was born on January 2, 1904, in Paulding County. He was . . . — Map (db m15997) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-8 — Stagecoach Road
Near here ran the old Stagecoach Road from Augusta, Petersburg, Washington and Greensboro to Park’s Mill, where a toll bridge crossed the Oconee. After crossing the river the highway diverged -- the left fork going to Eatonton, Milledgeville, Macon, . . . — Map (db m42720) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-12 — The Burning of Greensborough
During the early years of its settlement, Greensborough and Greene County suffered greatly from depredations committed by Indians who occupied the West bank of the Oconee River about eight miles from here. Most tragic of these was the destruction of . . . — Map (db m38892) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-4 — Unknown Confederate Dead
Forty ~ five unknown Confederate soldiers, “known but to God,” are buried in this cemetery. These men died of wounds or disease in the Confederate hospitals in Greensboro, 1863 ~ 1865. These hospitals were the Dawson, Bell, Polk, Court . . . — Map (db m14728) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — William C. Dawson1798 - 1856 — Statesman - Soldier - Jurist - Freemason
A native of Greene County, then on Georgia’s Indian frontier, he was educated in the law and admitted to the bar in 1818. The remainder of his exemplary life was spent in the public service as legislator, Captain of Volunteers in the Indian War of . . . — Map (db m14740) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Penfield — 066-13 — “Old Mercer”
Actuated by a legacy from Josiah Penfield, Mercer University was founded here in 1833 as Mercer Institute. After considering several locations, the Trustees moved the institution to Macon in 1871 and, in 1880, transferred all holdings in Penfield to . . . — Map (db m24726) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — 066-10 — Bethany Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1786, Bethany Presbyterian Church was the first church in Greene County. Dr. Francis Cummins, Dr. Francis Goulding, and other great ministers preached here. In 1886, Dr. James Woodrow was tried for heresy here in the first “monkey . . . — Map (db m24619) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — 066-9 — Bethesda Baptist Church
When Bethesda Baptist Church was organized in 1785, it was known as Whatley’s Mill Church, and was in Wilkes County before it was added to Greene in 1802. When the present building was erected in 1818, the name was changed to Bethesda. Jesse Mercer . . . — Map (db m24724) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — Confederate Wayside Home 1862-64
Commemorating the Confederate Wayside Home 1862-64. Whose activities were carried on by fourteen women of Union Point. — Map (db m60829) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — First Regimental Reunion of Confederate Veterans
Commemorating the site of the First Regimental Reunion of Confederate Veterans Survivors of the 3rd Georgia Regiment met at the Union Point Fair Grounds July 30-31, 1874 — Map (db m60774) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — Great Buffalo Lick
This site is described in the treaty signed by the Creek and Cherokee Indians at Augusta, Georgia, in 1773. Here began the survey of the ceded lands. — Map (db m15712) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — 066-2 — Site of Wayside Home
Here in 1862-1864 was located the Wayside home, operated by 14 gallant Confederate women of this city. More than one million meals were served to Confederate soldiers, sailors, and marines, passing thought this town. More than ten thousand . . . — Map (db m15803) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — The Two Committees
The Two Committees Who alternated weekly In carrying on the Wayside Home Mrs. Jas. B. Hart Mrs. P. W. Printup Mrs. M. L. Watson Mrs. L. Bynum Mrs. Martha E. Forester Mrs. Ira Brown Mrs. Dr. B. F. Carlton Mrs. Richard Dilworth . . . — Map (db m60845) HM
Georgia (Greene County), White Plains — 066-11 — Liberty Chapel
About 1786, John Bush built a brush arbor as a community center for camp meeting at what was then called “Crackers Neck.” From this grew Liberty Chapel, “Cradle of Methodism” for this section. In 1797, Rev. James Jenkins, . . . — Map (db m23083) HM
Georgia (Greene County), White Plains — 66-1 — White Plains Baptist Church
White Plains Baptist Church was organized in 1806, with all four sanctuaries located here. The current sanctuary was constructed in 1887. Welcoming its first African-American member in 1812, both races worshipped together until 1869. In the late . . . — Map (db m23997) HM

21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement