Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Harris County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Kingsboro & Cataula Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, August 24, 2009
Kingsboro & Cataula Marker
Georgia (Harris County), Cataula — 072-12 — Kingsboro & Cataula
At KINGSBORO, 3 mi. S., Ga.’s first narrow gauge railroad (North & South RR), chartered in 1870 (Columbus to Rome), ended in 1873. CATAULA (Big Rock) is a Creek name. Clowers Meth. Church, organized as “Providence” in 1829, was built of . . . — Map (db m22419) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Ellerslie — 072-5 — The Wire Road»—→
This road marks the route of the first telegraph lines from Washington to New Orleans, via Columbus, completed in 1848. The road entered Harris County at Mount Airy (later Ridgeway), 5 miles from here. A stagecoach inn, stores, houses, and schools . . . — Map (db m22377) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Fortson — 072-10 — Bartlett's Ferry Dam; Antioch Baptist Church<-- 1 ½ MI. --<
Rev. Simpson Wilson Barley (1827-1884), minister and doctor, operated a ferry, known as Bartley’s Ferry, 1 ½ miles west on the Chattahoochee River. He preached at the nearby Antioch Baptist Church, one of the earliest in this section, and is . . . — Map (db m36165) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Fortson — Camp McKenzie
Side 1: On this site was Camp McKenzie, a 350 acre tract used for approximately 75 years as the official campsite for the local councils of the Boy Scouts of America. Under the leadership of W. W. McKenzie and Fred H. Schomburg, together with . . . — Map (db m22475) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Fortson — Mountain Hill District Consolidated School
(Side 1): This handsome Colonel Revival structure, completed in 1930, served the educational needs of children in the western half of Harris County from 1930 through 1989. The building, which consolidated several one- and two-room schools, . . . — Map (db m41817) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Hamilton — B. F. White--1800-1879--
Song writer, teacher, editor, lived in Hamilton, 1843-c.1868, was mayor, 1865. Near this spot in 1844 he published Sacred Harp, a “fa-sol-la” acappella singing school book now in its 14th edition. White taught in a local academy, . . . — Map (db m22451) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Hamilton — 072-4 — Columbus Baptist Association
The Columbus Baptist Association was organized November 22, 1829 at Mulberry Meeting House (then New Hope), 10 miles from here, at Mulberry Grove. Twelve churches reporting from Talbot. Harris, and Muscogee Counties formed this Association, Churches . . . — Map (db m14445) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Hamilton — Hamilton Female College
The Hamilton Female College was chartered in 1853 in southern Harris County. It was located on what was known as College Hill. Asbury Johnston and Stephen A. Borders donated the property for the college. The Hamilton Female College was the first . . . — Map (db m22420) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Hamilton — 72-1 — Harris County
This county, created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 14 & 24, 1827, is named for Charles Harris, eminent Savannah jurist. Born in England and educated in France, he served Savannah as Alderman or Mayor for 20 years, refusing higher offices. The . . . — Map (db m22825) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Hamilton — 072-3 — U.S.S. Harris County
This bell was presented to Harris County by LST 822, U.S.S. HARRIS COUNTY, commissioned Nov. 23, 1944. Carrying the commander of LST Group 68, she led fourteen convoys through enemy waters without a casualty. LST U.S.S. HARRIS COUNTY participated . . . — Map (db m22826) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — 072-7 — “This Was His Georgia”
During the 21 years (1924–1945) in which he was a constant visitor to Warm Springs, GA., Franklin D. Roosevelt became familiar with the scenic beauties of field & forest in the environs. The splendid isolation of Dowdell’s Knob, with its . . . — Map (db m43137) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Bethany Baptist Church
SIDE 1: Bethany Baptist Church was chartered on Sept. 8, 1828. The six charter members were James Garrett, Levin Collins, Uriah Jones, Lucy Garrett, Catherine Simmons and Mary Jones. The first pastor, John W. Cooper, served from 1828 to . . . — Map (db m22411) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Callaway Gardens
(Side 1): Callaway Gardens was founded in 1952 by Cason Callaway, Sr. and his wife Virginia Callaway, for the purpose of preserving the native flora of the southern United Sates in a natural setting for the public to enjoy. At one time, . . . — Map (db m22837) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Chipley - Pine Mountain, Georgia
Chipley was incorporated on December 9, 1882, following the extension of the Columbus and Rome Railroad one mile north of the Village of Hood. Old Hood was the predecessor of Chipley. Chipley was named after Colonel W. D. Chipley, a partner in the . . . — Map (db m59012) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — 072-6 — Dowdell's Knob<------<<<<
The road extending one mile south traverses a spur which projects into Pine Mountain Valley and terminates in a knob 1395 feet elevation above sea level overlooking a spectacular spread of the valley floor. The knob was named for two pioneer Harris . . . — Map (db m22013) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Franklin D. Rooseveltand Dowdell's Knob
This overlook, named Dowdell's Knob, was one of the dearest spots on earth to Franklin D. Roosevelt. Named for an early Harris County family, Dowdell's Knob rises to 1,395 feet above sea level and is the highest point on Pine Mountain. Here,on this . . . — Map (db m69519) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — 072-8 — Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial Bridge
Pine Mountain Scenic Highway & this bridge, spanning historic King’s Gap, are living monuments to President Roosevelt’s abiding interest in the natural features of Warm Springs’ environs. He, personally, selected the location of this road atop Pine . . . — Map (db m22020) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Pioneer Log Cabin
Constructed from hand-hewn longleaf pine logs. Built around 1830 during the settlement of Troup County, Georgia. Moved to its present location in 1959. — Map (db m107904) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Smokehouse
A Smokehouse is a structure used to cure meat and fish. It is typically a small building with no windows where meat is smoked and stored. A slow burning fire dries the meat over a period that can range from a few hours to a few weeks. . . . — Map (db m107905) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Sunnyside School, Midway Baptist Church and Midway Cemetery Historic District
The community building and spaces in the Sunnyside/Midway Historic District reflect rural Harris County in the 1920’s. Sunnyside School was built by local residents in 1921 to consolidate several one-room schools. It was used as an elementary and . . . — Map (db m36190) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — The Iron Horse
In 1879, the Columbus to Rome railroad made its way over Pine Mountain to the village of Hood which had been established by Colonel W. D. Chipley. After two years, Hood vanished almost overnight due to a dispute over land titles. W. D. Chipley then . . . — Map (db m56780) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — The J.L. Hand Gazebo
The handsome gazebo was given in loving memory of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Hand and placed in the Gardens in January, 1972. Constructed of longleaf pine, it was originally the belvedere atop the now demolished J. L. Hand home in Pelham, Georgia, the . . . — Map (db m70847) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — 072-7 — This Was His Georgia
Franklin D. Roosevelt was a frequent visitor (41 trips) to Warm Springs from 1924-1945. Dowdell’s Knob was one of his favorite spots for both quiet contemplation and picnics. F.D.R. visited this spot overlooking Pine Mountain Valley as a private . . . — Map (db m21998) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Wildflower Trail
A desire to restore land eroded by years of cotton farming and a wish to protect the rare and beautiful Plumleaf Azalea led Cason and Virginia Callaway to create Callaway Gardens. The Wildflower Trail was established to preserve and display native . . . — Map (db m107907) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain Valley — 072-13 — Pine Mountain Valley Resettlement Project
The Resettlement Administration was founded on May 1, 1935 as part of the second phase of President Roosevelt's New Deal. FDR took a personal interest in the planning of this project with Under Secretary of Agriculture, Dr. Rex Tugwell, . . . — Map (db m11269) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain Valley — Valley of Hope
Pine Mountain Valley, Georgia was begun in November 1934 under the administration of Franklin D. Roosevelt and his New Deal plan. It was conceived as a pilot community relief project to provide an escape from the effects of the Great Depression. . . . — Map (db m11271) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Waverly Hall — Lucy Laney Elementary School
Side 1: On this site, in 1954, Lucy Laney Elementary School was opened with the mission of educating black children in the Waverly Hall, Shiloh, Ellerslie, and surrounding areas. The school was named in honor of Lucy Craft Laney, a . . . — Map (db m58971) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Waverly Hall — 072-2 — Waverly Hall
This town was named by its first postmaster. William Osborne, appointed February 2, 1829. In 1827, Mt. Zion Methodist Church was built 1 ½ miles E. on the Old Indian Trail and Stagecoach Road from the Flint River via Talbotton and Waverly Hall . . . — Map (db m50926) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Whitesville — 072-11 — Whitesville
Incorporated in 1837 and named for the pioneer “White” family, Whitesville was the site of a stagecoach stop, inn, and stores on a branch of the Oakfuskee Indian Trail. This early road continued across the Chattahoochee River at Dobb’s . . . — Map (db m21026) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Whitesville — Whitesville Methodist Episcopal Church, South
(Side 1): The Methodist church in Whitesville had its origins about 1828 in meetings held at the home of Reuben Mobley. The First Methodist Church was founded in the early 1830s and by 1837 the decision was made to erect a church for the . . . — Map (db m22898) HM

30 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement