Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Jefferson County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Dr. Alexander Avera Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, August 2, 2012
Dr. Alexander Avera Marker
Georgia (Jefferson County), Avera — Dr. Alexander Avera
In Memory of Dr. Alexander Avera Oct 3, 1830 – Jan. 11, 1907 Beloved physician and founder of the town of Avera. In 1885 he donated the land for the town which was named in his honor. Born in Jefferson County, GA. Graduated . . . — Map (db m58315) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Bartow — R16 — Bartow"...lighting a continuous fire..." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
The land where you now stand was originally settled by Revolutionary War hero and statesman General Solomon Wood. To protect against Indian attacks Wood built a fort approximately one mile to the east for protection of his family and neighbors. . . . — Map (db m103273) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Bartow — 81-8 — General Wood's Fort
On a high knoll, overlooking the surrounding land, stood the home of General Solomon Wood, Revolutionary soldier. Near this home, General Wood built a blockhouse for the protection of his family and neighbors. When there was any sign or sound . . . — Map (db m21217) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Bartow — 81-9 — Old Savannah Road← →
The highway crossing here is the Old Savannah Road, one of the earliest vehicular routes west of the Ogeechee River. It led from Savannah to the Rock Landing on the Oconee, below today's Milledgeville, along the course of a former trading path to . . . — Map (db m21216) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Bartow — Site of Fort Wood
And home of General Soloman Wood. 1756 - 1815 Officer of the American Revolution. Pioneer, and first Senator of Jefferson County. — Map (db m21332) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Bartow — 81-13 — Spier's Turnout
On Nov. 28, 1864, Jackson's division, 20th Corps (Williams), of Gen. Sherman's army [USA], destroyed the railroad from Davisboro, No. 12, CRR, to Spier's Turnout (Bartow), No. 11, CRR, while Geary's division and the First Michigan Engineers . . . — Map (db m21209) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Grange — 081-4 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 27, 1864, Baird’s and Morgan’s divisions, 14th Corps [US], moving on the left of Gen. Sherman’s army from Sandersville to Louisville, crossed Ogeechee River at Fenn’s Bridge. Baird turned SE on the lower road and camped near the Wilkins . . . — Map (db m37749) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — 081-3 — "Yazoo Fraud"
The notorious "Yazoo Fraud" act was passed and later repealed in the old State Capitol that stood here 1794-1807. The 1794 Georgia legislature sold 35,000,000 acres of land along the Yazoo River in what is now Alabama and Mississippi at 1½ . . . — Map (db m58365) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — L20 — Crossing the Ogeechee RiverA Classic Military Maneuver — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
When an army crosses a large stream it is vulnerable to attack. Commanders often reduce this hazard by crossing at multiple locations, decreasing congestion and expediting the movement. When possible each crossing occurs within close supporting . . . — Map (db m103309) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — Louisville, Georgia1786 - 1986
Chartered in 1786, the City of Louisville was named in honor of King Louis XVI in appreciation for the help he gave the colonies during the American Revolution. From 1796 to 1805, Louisville served as the first permanent capital of Georgia: the . . . — Map (db m15898) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — 081-1 — Market House
This Market House was built between 1795-1798 as a publicly owned multi-purpose trading house. Louisville newspapers record sales of large tracts, household hoods, town lots and slaves by sheriffs, tax collectors, marshals and people of the . . . — Map (db m15900) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — 081-2 — Old State Capitol
Georgia Capitol was on this site, (1794-1807). Colonists on the coast had urged a location on higher ground "with good drinking water." The famous constitutional convention of 1798 was held here and the document then adopted lasted for seventy . . . — Map (db m39419) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — 081-16 — Old Town Plantation
The area now called Old Town Plantation is shown on maps dating to the early 18th century. It was called Ogeechee Old Town because of the ancient Creek Indian town that Carolina traders visited before Georgia was founded in 1733. George Galphin of . . . — Map (db m15734) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — 081-11 — Rocky Comfort Creek
On Nov. 28, 1864, the Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US] moved from Davisboro to Louisville, the main body on this road. Jackson’s and Geary’s divisions, 20th Corps, along the Central Railroad, and Morgan’s and Baird's . . . — Map (db m58100) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — Site of Capitol BuildingLouisville Georgia
First Capitol built by the State of Georgia. Used as seat of government 1796 - 1807 — Map (db m58362) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — 081-6 — The Ogeechee River
On Nov. 28, 1864, the Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US], less Morgan’s and Baird’s divisions, 14th Corps, which had marched via Fenn’s Bridge (10 mi. NW), and Jackson’s and Geary’s divisions, 20th Corps, which were . . . — Map (db m58103) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — L21 — The Sacking of Louisville"...thoroughly and completely ransacked..." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
On Monday, November 28, 1864, Union Major General William T. Sherman's "Left Wing" commanded by Major General Henry W. Slocum reached the Ogeechee River and Rocky Comfort Creek just west of Louisville. The bridges had been destroyed by portions of . . . — Map (db m103307) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — To Commemorate the Site of the First Permanent Capitol of Georgia
Built in 1795, and before whose door the Yazoo Fraud papers were burned with fire drawn from heaven, February 15, 1796. — Map (db m58364) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Stapleton — 081-12 — Sylvan Grove
Late on Nov. 26, 1864, Kilpatrick’s cavalry division [US], which was covering the left of Gen. Sherman’s army on its March to the Sea, camped at Sylvan Grove. Murray’s brigade covered the rear. At 2:00 A.M., the outpost (8th Indiana Cavalry) was . . . — Map (db m43490) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Wadley — 081-14 — The 20th Corps
On Nov. 29, 1864, Jackson`s and Geary's divisions, 20th Corps (Williams), of Gen. Sherman's army, destroyed the railroad from Spier's Turnout (Bartow), No. 11, CRR, through Bethany (Wadley), No. 10 1/2, CRR, to the Ogeechee River. next morning, both . . . — Map (db m21096) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Wrens — 081-5 — Old Quaker Road
The highway crossing here is the Old Quaker Road, one of Georgia’s earliest vehicular thoroughfares. It was opened about 1769 to provide a direct way from Savannah, the Colonial capital, to a Quaker settlement centering around Wrightsboro in today’s . . . — Map (db m15899) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Wrens — 81-1 — Ways Baptist Church and Stellaville School
Ways Baptist Church was established in 1817. Originally known as Darcy’s Meeting House, the church was formed by members of the Brushy Creek Church. In 1868 Ways Church organized the Stellaville School, which was active until the mid 1940s. The only . . . — Map (db m13365) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Wrens — William John Wren
1858 – 1919 Founder of the Town of Wrens — Map (db m60846) HM

23 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement