Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Jones County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Clinton Female Seminary Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, November 7, 2009
Clinton Female Seminary Marker
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — 084-11 — Clinton Female Seminary
Clinton Female Seminary was incorporated on Dec. 15, 1821 by Act of Legislature signed by Gov. John Clark. Trustees were James Smith, Gustavus Hendrick, Samuel Lowther, Henry G. Lamar and Charles J. McDonald. This successful school under Rev. Thomas . . . — Map (db m25209) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — 084-6 — Gen. Iverson’s Birthplace>>>------>
Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, C.S.A., son of Senator Alfred Iverson, also a Brig. Gen., and Caroline Goode Holt, was born here Feb. 14, 1829. He served with the U. S. Cavalry in the Mexican War and Mormon campaign and fought the Comanches and Kiowas. . . . — Map (db m24994) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — LaFayette
On March 25, 1825 LaFayette Paused Here and Made an Address — Map (db m25188) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — Macarthy-Pope House
Side 1: Known as Clinton’s oldest house, the Macarthy-Pope house is believed to have been built between 1809 and 1810. Benjamin and William Trapp owned the dwelling between 1818 and 1832. During the latter two years of their . . . — Map (db m57495) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — R9 — Old Clinton"...with much difficulty he restrained them from burning the [entire] town." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Founded in 1808 Clinton was a commercial and educational center and the early seat of Jones County. It was planned with streets in a New England styled gridiron pattern and a central square. In 1820 Clinton was the fourth -largest town in Georgia. . . . — Map (db m103208) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — 084-3 — Samuel GriswoldIron-master ←—«
The first iron foundry in Georgia was established here by Samuel Griswold who came from Connecticut, settling in Clinton in 1820. He also manufactured about 1,000 cotton gins a year and ran a steam sawmill and grist mill. Moving to Griswoldville in . . . — Map (db m25201) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — 084-18 — Sherman’s Right Wing
On the night of Nov. 19, 1864, Kilpatrick’s cavalry division [US], which was covering the advance of the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of General Sherman’s army on its destructive March to the Sea, camped at Clinton. At noon on the 20th, the . . . — Map (db m25204) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — 084-14 — The Stoneman Raid
In July, 1864, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman’s army [US] closed in on Atlanta. Finding its fortifications “too strong to assault and too extensive to invest,” he sought to force its fall by sending Maj. Gen. George Stoneman, with three cavalry . . . — Map (db m25207) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — 084-20 — Battle of Griswoldville
On Nov. 22, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US] moved SE from Clinton (near Gray) toward Gordon and Irwinton on its destructive March to the Sea. Walcutt’s brigade, with two guns of Arndt’s Michigan Battery, was . . . — Map (db m41549) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — 084-26 — Battle of Griswoldville The Deployment and Assaults
About 1:30 P.M. Nov. 22, 1864, after halting in Griswoldville to reform his column and report his progress, Brig. Gen. P.J. Phillips began moving his command (1st Division, Georgia Militia and attached units) east to clear the town, intending to . . . — Map (db m25302) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — 084-9 — Blountsville<------<<<<
Near here was Blountsville, an early stagecoach station and post office until after the War Between the States. It suffered severely during the War and the town disappeared. The home of many prominent families, Blountsville was the site of . . . — Map (db m24764) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — 084-16 — Blountsville
On Nov. 18, 1864, Blair’s 17th Corps of the Right Wing of Gen. Sherman’s army [US], which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, crossed the Ocmulgee River at Seven Islands (12 mi. NW of Hillsboro) and marched via . . . — Map (db m24766) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — 084-1 — Clinton Methodist Church
This is the first Methodist church and the second church established in Jones County. Land was appropriated in 1810 and July 14, 1821 a deed to the Clinton Methodists was made effective. The church was "a frame house of good dimensions with . . . — Map (db m560) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — James C. Roberts Municipal Complex
Named in Honor of Jimmy Roberts for his meritorious service to the citizens of Gray as Mayor from May 1972 until Dec. 1993. The son of Corbin and Sara Greene Roberts. He was born and educated in Jones Co. He attended Middle GA. College and the Univ. . . . — Map (db m26249) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — 084-2 — James Madison Gray
Gray, Georgia, was named for James Madison Gray, regarded as Jones County's most outstanding citizen. He clothed the Gray Infantry, Company F, 45th Georgia Regiment, C.S.A. and during the Civil War fed soldiers and homeless families from his own . . . — Map (db m81542) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — 084-5 — Jones County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 10, 1807, is named for James Jones of Savannah, a legislator at 23 and member of the State Constitutional Convention in 1798 in which year he was elected to Congress. The first County Site was at . . . — Map (db m26024) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — 084-12 — Planter’s Academy
The Farmer’s Academy (later Planter’s Academy) was incorporated Dec. 19, 1822 by Act of Legislature signed by Gov. John Clark. Trustees included Bailey Bell, Adam Carson, Kinchen P. Thweatt, James Lockett, Cyrus Cotton, Samuel Barron and William . . . — Map (db m24770) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — 084-23 — The Cavalry Skirmish
On the night of Nov. 21, 1864, Murray’s brigade of Kilpatrick’s cavalry [US], which during the day had burned buildings and destroyed railways facilities in Griswoldville, camped on the E fork of Little Sandy Creek, ½ miles NE. At dawn, . . . — Map (db m25305) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — 084-17 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah — the March to the Sea. He divided his army [US] into two wings. The Left Wing . . . — Map (db m41449) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — 084-15 — The Stoneman Raid
In July, 1864, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman’s army [US] closed in on Atlanta. Finding its fortifications “too strong to assault and too extensive to invest,” he sought to force its fall by sending Maj. Gen. George Stoneman, with three cavalry . . . — Map (db m25645) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — W. E. Knox Civic Center
This building was dedicated on November 29, 1936 and educated students in grades 1 through 11 until the 12th grade was added in 1950, and it served as a school until 1991. This was one of the most modern school buildings in the state at the time. . . . — Map (db m81545) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Griswoldville — 084-24 — Battle of Griswoldville
On Nov. 22 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US] marched southeast from the vicinity of Gray toward Gordon and Irwinton on its destructive March to the Sea. To protect the right against Wheeler’s cavalry [CS], Brig. . . . — Map (db m98659) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Griswoldville — 084-25 — Battle of Griswoldville The Advance from East Macon
On Nov. 22, 1864, the 1st Division, Georgia Militia (less the 1st Brigade), with the 1st and 2nd Regiments, Georgia State Line, and Anderson’s Georgia Battery attached, Brig. Gen. Pleasant J. Phillips commanding, marched from East Macon about 8:00 . . . — Map (db m65517) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Griswoldville — 084-13 — Confederate Pistol Factory
In 1862, to meet the pressing need of the Confederate States Army for revolvers of the Colt pattern, the Griswold Cotton Gin Company’s plant, on this site, was converted to a pistol factory. In March, the production of cotton gin machinery was . . . — Map (db m98660) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Griswoldville — 084-4 — Griswoldville
This town is named for Samuel Griswold who moved his iron foundries and cotton gin factories here from Clinton to be on the railroad. A disastrous unrecorded battle was fought here in 1864 when a force of old men and youths under Gen. Phillips, . . . — Map (db m25194) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Macon — 084-22 — Battle of Griswoldville
On Nov. 22, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US] moved SE from Clinton (near Gray) towards Gordon and Irwinton on its destructive March to the Sea. Walcutt’s brigade, with two guns of Arndt’s Michigan Battery, was . . . — Map (db m25240) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Macon — 084-21 — Battle of Griswoldville
On Nov. 22, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US] moved SE from Clinton (near Gray) toward Gordon and Irwinton on its destructive March to the Sea. Walcutt brigade, with two guns of Arndt’s Michigan Battery, was . . . — Map (db m41550) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Macon — 084-7 — Old Garrison Road
This road was built about 1800 by the State as a military road for the movement of troops between Milledgeville and Fort Hawkins (Macon) during the Indian Wars. It was strongly garrisoned to afford protection on this side of the Ocmulgee River, and . . . — Map (db m57868) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Macon — Pitts Chapel
The first record of Pitts Chapel dates back to October 13, 1860 when three and three-fourths acres of land was purchased from James Wells for $130 for the purpose of erecting a Methodist Episcopal Church. Upon this land was erected the largest and . . . — Map (db m41560) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Macon — 084-19 — The 15th Corps
On the night of Nov. 21, 1864, the headquarters and one division (Hazen’s) of the 15th Corps [US] of General Sherman’s army, which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, camped here at the crossing of the . . . — Map (db m41446) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Round Oak — R8 — Sunshine ChurchA Bitter Defeat — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
As part of a two-pronged Cavalry raid, on Wednesday, July 27 1864, Union Major General George Stoneman with over 2,100 troopers left the main Federal army then located near Atlanta. Stoneman's orders from Major General William T. Sherman, were to . . . — Map (db m103205) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Round Oak — 084-8 — Sunshine Church II
Sunshine Church II, built in 1880 and dedicated in 1883 by Rev. Sam Jones, replaced old Sunshine Church, two miles south of here, which General Sherman’s troops burned in 1864. A wounded northern prisoner, B.F. Morris, Shelby, Ohio, cared for by the . . . — Map (db m8897) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement