Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lanier County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Burnt Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
Burnt Church Marker
Georgia (Lanier County), Lakeland — Burnt Church
First known as Carter’s Meeting House Land donated by Jesse Carter Union Primitive Baptist Church Constituted October 1, 1825 Burnt and rebuilt 1854 Known thereafter as Burnt Church Restored April 1998 . . . — Map (db m54972) HM
Georgia (Lanier County), Lakeland — 086-3 — Fender Cemetery
A short distance East on this road is Fender Cemetery, in which are buried many of the first settlers of the area of old Lowndes County lying East of the Alabama River, from Union Church. This location for the Cemetery was chosen because of the . . . — Map (db m14669) HM
Georgia (Lanier County), Lakeland — 86-1 — Home of Governor E. D. Rivers(1895-1967)
Eurith Dickinson Rivers was governor of Georgia from 1937 to 1941. He actively supported President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal Program. Rivers’ innovative leadership produce Georgia’s first Department of Public Welfare, free school books, the . . . — Map (db m22996) HM
Georgia (Lanier County), Lakeland — Joshua Lee(1782-1855)
Joshua Lee built the first grist mill on this location in c1830 in what was Lowndes County. He owned five and one half land lots (2.690 acres) which were not yet free of Indians. He built a low-level dam across a stream flowing through his property. . . . — Map (db m53253) HM
Georgia (Lanier County), Lakeland — 086-1 — Lanier County
This County created by Acts of the Legislature of Aug. 11, 1919 & Aug. 7, 1920 is named for Sidney Lanier, poet of Georgia. Lanier was born in Macon Feb. 3, 1842 and practiced law there with his father after graduating from Oglethorpe Univ. then at . . . — Map (db m27186) HM
Georgia (Lanier County), Lakeland — 086-2 — Union Baptist Church←1/2 mi.—«
Union Baptist Church, on the Alapaha River one-half mile West on this road, was constituted October 21, 1825, the first church in the old area of Irwin County. The original members were: William A. Knight, his wife, Sarah; Jonathan Knight, . . . — Map (db m28123) HM
Georgia (Lanier County), Lakeland — Union Church Cemetery
To glorify God and to honor those who rest here many of whom were members of Union Church established in 1825 Land given by Isaac Carter Union Church burned in 1854 Since then it has been commonly called “Burnt . . . — Map (db m54971) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement