Settlement of Carmel community began with the creation of Meriwether County in 1827. Early families-- Caldwell, Burton, Campson, Gray, Reynolds, Williams, Pope, and Glass--came from Edgefield District, South Carolina. They established Carmel . . . — — Map (db m11680) HM
In 1854, Harmony Church near the Ogletree cemetery, Liberty Church close by the old Campbell place, and Providence Church from the Strickland neighborhood, all came together, after twenty-two years of sharing camp meeting worship, to form Trinity . . . — — Map (db m107237) HM
This bridge was built in the 1840s by freed slave and noted bridge builder Horace King (1807-1885). Constructed on the Town lattice design, the bridge’s web of planks crisscrossing at 45- to 60-degree angles are fastened at each intersection with a . . . — — Map (db m57329) HM
The road from the east is a remnant of the Oakfuskee Path, main stem of the noted upper trading route from the Savannah River to the Creek Indians of Georgia and Alabama Beginning at present Augusta, it led this way via Warrenton, Eatonton, Griffin, . . . — — Map (db m42161) HM
When a new building was completed in 1939, the name of this church, established in 1844 as Prospect Methodist Church, was changed to Allen-Lee Memorial Methodist Church to honor two of its illustrious members, Dr. Young J. Allen and Dr. J. W. Lee. . . . — — Map (db m21403) HM
Meriwether County, “Second Home” of Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt and birthplace of three Ga. Governors -- Joseph M. Terrell, William Y. Atkinson and John M. Slaton -- was created by Act of Dec. 14, 1827 from Troup County. It was named for . . . — — Map (db m22179) HM
The Oakfuskee Path, main branch of the famous Upper Creek trading route from the Savannah River to the Creek Indians, passed here. Beginning at present Augusta, it led through Greenville via Warrenton, Eatonton, Griffin and Flat Shoals of the Flint . . . — — Map (db m22205) HM
Dr. Hope Hull Tigner was born near Athens, Georgia on May 28, 1792, and became a physician and state legislator prior to moving his family to Meriwether County. In 1833 a frame house with green blinds was built across the road from the present . . . — — Map (db m107145) HM
Beginning as the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation, this hospital for polio patients was founded by Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1927.
The Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation is today an internationally . . . — — Map (db m84458) HM
Died in this house on April 12 1945
No soldier gave more on any battlefield than he who here gave his life for his country no greater martyr ever served the cause of freedom
This tablet erected June 25 1947 by the Presidential Electors who in . . . — — Map (db m66964) HM WM
These gates mark the original entrance to the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation, established in July 1927 by Franklin D. Roosevelt and Basil O’Connor for the treatment of polio victims. Roosevelt himself suffered from polio beginning in 1921. Learning . . . — — Map (db m21442) HM
In the early years of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s sojourn in Meriwether County, he observed that no great effort was made to replace trees on cut-over or burnt areas not suitable for agriculture.
As a demonstration of replacement, together with . . . — — Map (db m22162) HM
Here stood the little depot of the Southern R. R. where Franklin D. Roosevelt arrived & departed on his many visits to Warm Springs during the years 1924-1945.
A personal interest in the after treatment of infantile paralysis led him, in 1924, to . . . — — Map (db m23072) HM
Over 2200 acres atop Pine Mountain were purchased 1926-37, by Franklin D. Roosevelt, some 150 acres of which were pasture and crop land -- the rest in pine and hardwoods. The farm was operated on a self-sustaining basis by adherence to methods . . . — — Map (db m22231) HM
Georgia’s largest and most famous warm spring delivers 914 gallons of 88°F per minute to a catch basin beneath the buildings at the base of the hill in front of you. The springs have been used for recreation and healing for centuries. Franklin D. . . . — — Map (db m42883) HM
Franklin D. Roosevelt came to Warm Springs in 1924 in hopes of recovering from the effects of polio. His love for the area and hopes for the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation led him to build a small white clapboard cottage on these pine scented . . . — — Map (db m42839) HM
Pine Mountain to the south makes a complete loop forming a beautiful basin 4 miles in diameter known as `The Cove.` It is joined on the south by Oak Mountain, another hard quartz ridge. Flint River has avoided an easier course on either side and has . . . — — Map (db m9053) HM