Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Morgan County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Apalachee Marker and old Schoolhouse in Apalachee image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, July 12, 2008
Apalachee Marker and old Schoolhouse in Apalachee
Georgia (Morgan County), Apalachee — Apalachee
On Lower Apalachee Road 0 miles east of Shockley Road, on the right when traveling east.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County places this Marker here to commemorate the community of Apalachee The name Apalachee is derived from the Indian Tribe that was part of the Creek Confederation, though there is no evidence that . . . — Map (db m13418) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Bostwick — Bostwick
On Bostwick Road (Georgia Route 83) 0 miles west of 1st Street, on the right when traveling west.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Bostwick Named in honor of the family who contributed substantially to the economic success of the community, Bostwick was . . . — Map (db m16220) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Bostwick — Mallory
On Bostwick Road (Georgia Route 83) at Wallace Road, on the right when traveling north on Bostwick Road.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of MALLORY The early tax records of Morgan County identify the family of "Malry" in the Harris Militia District as early as the . . . — Map (db m20459) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Bostwick — Matthew Talbot
On Hardeman Mill Road 0.2 miles north of Sandy Creek Road, on the right when traveling north.
In Memory of Matthew Talbot B. Nov. 27, 1729 Virginia, and his son William Talbot D. 1831 in Walton Co., GA. William bought this land in 1807 and built his home here. Both men served in the Revolutionary War. Burial sites unknown. — Map (db m107512) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Buckhead — Buckhead
On West Main Street 0.2 miles north of Parks Mill Road, on the left when traveling north.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Buckhead One of the earliest settlements in Morgan County, the area around Buckhead was still in close proximity to Native . . . — Map (db m16136) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Buckhead — 104-5 — Federal Raid
On West Main Street at Railroad Street / Parks Mill Road, on the right when traveling south on West Main Street.
On Saturday, November 19, 1864, Federal troops under Gen. Geary, Sherman’s 20th Army Corps, drove a small detachment of Confederate soldiers out of Buckhead, ate dinner and then destroyed the water tank, all railroad buildings and a large supply of . . . — Map (db m16144) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Buckhead — 104-4 — Park Home and Site of Park’s Mill
On Wood Road 0.9 miles east of Woods Road, on the right when traveling east.
This house, built in early 1800 and used as a stagecoach stop, was located on Seven Islands Road which ran from Philadelphia to New Orleans. On Nov. 20, 1864, Federal raiders under Gen. Geary destroyed the nearby mill and ferry. At the request of . . . — Map (db m17265) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Buckhead — Park's Mill
On Parks Mill Road at Reids Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east on Parks Mill Road.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Park’s Mill The construction of Park’s Mill is thought to be contemporary with the creation of Morgan County by act of the Georgia . . . — Map (db m17274) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Buckhead — Swords
On Swords Road 0 miles east of Blue Springs Road, on the left when traveling east.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Swords Named in honor of the family who contributed substantially to the economic success of the community, Swords has its roots . . . — Map (db m16236) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Buckhead — 104-9 — The March to the Sea
On Blue Springs Road 0.2 miles west of Swords Road, on the left when traveling east.
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his army [US] into two wings. The Right Wing . . . — Map (db m16210) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Buckhead — L11 — The Oconee River Railroad BridgeBlue Springs - Swords — March to the Sea Heritage Trail —
Near Blue Springs Drive 0.5 miles east of Fraction Bottoms Road.
Just below where the Apalachee River joins the Oconee River the Georgia Railroad constructed a massive bridge in the early 1840s, eventually connecting Augusta by rail to the newly-established town of Marthasville (now named Atlanta). It was "a . . . — Map (db m113289) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Godfrey — WWII B-25C Airplane Crash
On Godfrey Road at Walton's Mill Road, on the left when traveling north on Godfrey Road.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the WW II B-25C Airplane Crash In the early afternoon of January 10, 1945, residents of the south-western portion of Morgan County were . . . — Map (db m20192) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Advanced Education Center
On South Main Street (U.S. 278) 0 miles west of Foster Street, on the right when traveling east.
Religious denominations organized Georgia’s first colleges for women. Madison flourished as an educational center following the 1850 incorporation of both the Georgia Female College (Baptist), initially chartered as Madison Collegiate Institute, and . . . — Map (db m47528) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Antebellum Architecture
On South Main Street (U.S. 278) at Jones Alley, on the right when traveling west on South Main Street.
As the county gained more plantations, Madison attracted nearby planters desiring to shop, socialize, learn, and worship. Some planters also built in-town homes. Antebellum architecture reflected the shift from the early yeoman farmer society to a . . . — Map (db m45734) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — 104-3 — Antioch Baptist Church>>-- 3 mi. -->
On Monticello Highway (Georgia Route 83) at Godfrey Road, on the left when traveling south on Monticello Highway.
Three miles from here in a grove of oaks Antioch Baptist Church was established in a primitive log cabin, Sept. 18, 1809. Soon a building 40 x 60 was erected on 4-1/2 acres of land including the original site. In Sept. 1827, 4,000 people . . . — Map (db m16156) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Banking Institutions
On East Washington Street 0 miles east of South Main Street (U.S. 129), on the right when traveling east.
Prior to the development of the modern financial institutions, many enterprises and ventures were funded through the sale of subscriptions or shares (e.g. railroad, newspapers). Bank startups also followed this pattern and, by 1870, Madison had at . . . — Map (db m47810) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Bethany
On Bethany Church Road at Crawford Road, on the right when traveling north on Bethany Church Road.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Bethany The community of Bethany, anchored by the Bethany Baptist Church, appears on maps after 1915. A church congregation was . . . — Map (db m19872) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Brownwood-Centennial
On Brownwood Road at Thankful Road, on the right when traveling north on Brownwood Road.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Brownwood-Centennial Located close to one another on the Old Sandtown Road, the communities of Brownwood and Centennial may have . . . — Map (db m20483) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Civic Advancement
On East Jefferson Street at North Main Street (U.S. 129/441), on the right when traveling west on East Jefferson Street.
The Town of Madison Board of Commissioners selected one of their body each year to serve as President until an 1876 charter amendment incorporated the “City” of Madison and vested leadership in a Mayor and Board of Aldermen (later the . . . — Map (db m48315) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Community Settlement
On East Jefferson Street 0 miles east of Hancock Street, on the right when traveling west.
Establishment of Madison was part of a larger movement to settle the Georgia frontier and the westward population shift. The first division of town land created 48 original lots, each measuring 100 by 200 feet. Lots were sold on February 23, 1809, . . . — Map (db m47477) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — 104-7 — Confederate Dead
On West Central Avenue 0.2 miles north of Academy Street, on the right when traveling north.
Here are buried 51 unknown and one known Confederate soldier and one Negro hospital attendant. These men died of wounds or disease in the Confederate hospitals located nearby, the Stout, Blackie, Asylum, Turnbull, and some temporary ones. These . . . — Map (db m19767) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Dorsey
On Dixie Highway 1.3 miles west of Wilson Road, on the right when traveling east.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Dorsey As early as 1839, historic maps identify a community called Palestine in proximity to the community that became known as Dorsey. . . . — Map (db m21914) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Early Academies
On West Central Avenue at Academy Street, on the right when traveling north on West Central Avenue.
Early academies were private, state chartered institutions. Only a year after the town founding in 1809, commissioners were appointed to organize Morgan County's first academy, officially incorporated as the Madison Academy in 1815. Both male and . . . — Map (db m109714) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Early Public Forum
On Bethany Road 0.1 miles north of Madison Bypass (U.S. 129/441), on the right when traveling north.
Common among the counties during the settlement period, Morgan County (1807) first transacted public business at a private residence - Fields Kennedy's home. After Madison was designated as the county seat in 1808 until the construction of a formal . . . — Map (db m109716) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Early Religious Life
On Academy Street at Porter Street, on the right when traveling west on Academy Street.
The earliest religious gatherings were held in private homes, schools, or public buildings until the individual congregations organized and constructed structures. Congregations formed quickly: the Methodists in 1807, the Presbyterians in 1821, and . . . — Map (db m47965) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Fairview
On Eatonton Road (U.S. 441) 0.3 miles north of Seven Islands Road, on the right when traveling south.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Fairview Located south of Madison between Highway 441 South, Pierce Dairy Road and Seven Islands Road, the Fairview community grew up . . . — Map (db m19944) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Flat Rock
On Bostwick Road (Georgia Route 83) 0 miles north of Flat Rock Road, on the right when traveling north.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Flat Rock Identified with the Flat Rock Church and School that existed in the early 20th century, Flat Rock has African . . . — Map (db m17567) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Formal Southern Landscapes
On Academy Street at Porter Street, on the right when traveling east on Academy Street.
Like Madison's high-style architecture, its formal landscapes were Southern translations of both prevalent trends and earlier traditions. Boxwood gardens were an antebellum landscape feature gracing many Madison homes. Parterres were a garden form . . . — Map (db m49601) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Foundation to Consolidation
On South Main Street 0 miles north of Foster Street (U.S. 129/441), on the right when traveling north.
Empowered in 1894 to establish public schools, the City of Madison initiated construction of two graded schools, a contrast to one-room schoolhouses typical of rural areas. Nicholas Ittner of Atlanta built the brick graded school for white students . . . — Map (db m48879) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Freedmen's Schooling
On Hill Street 0 miles north of Fourth Street, on the right when traveling north.
In 1865, the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands began assistance to former slaves. While efforts at educating freed slaves were strongest in Georgia's larger cities and towns, State Superintendent of Freedmen's Schools G.L. Eberhardt . . . — Map (db m25574) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Freedom of Assembly
On Washington Street (Georgia Route 83) at Academy Street, on the left when traveling north on Washington Street.
With freedom from slavery came freedom of assembly – particularly to worship, evidenced by the early establishment of the first independent black congregation in 1865. African-American churches, such as Calvary Baptist (1883), were the primary . . . — Map (db m49131) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Godfrey
On Godfrey Road at Antioch Church Road, on the left when traveling north on Godfrey Road.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Godfrey. The town of Godfrey was incorporated by the Georgia Legislature on July 25, 1906. However, this community has much older . . . — Map (db m16176) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — In Memory of the Boys from Morgan County, Georgia
On Hancock Street at East Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling east on Hancock Street.
Erected by Henry Walton Chapter Daughters of the America Revolution In memory of The Boys From Morgan County, Georgia Who fought in the World War April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918 — Map (db m60788) WM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Industrial Corridor
On West Washington Street (Georgia Route 83) at Thomason Road, on the left when traveling north on West Washington Street.
The siting of the railroad, while first controversial, created a new industrial corridor through the community. Just south of downtown, the Madison Steam Factory opened as a textile mill. In town, brokerage and warehouses built near the depots to . . . — Map (db m49614) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — 104-1 — Joshua Hill Home— 1 block→
On South Main Streeet (Business U.S. 441) at Hill Street, on the left when traveling north on South Main Streeet.
Joshua Hill, noted Georgian of the Civil War and Reconstruction, was born in 1812 in the Abbeville District, S.C. He studied law and come to Ga. to practice, settling in Madison after living in Monticello for a time. Having strong Whig and Unionist . . . — Map (db m9127) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Lodging Establishments
On West Jefferson Street at Main Street (U.S. 278), on the right when traveling north on West Jefferson Street.
With the arrival of the railroad, the traditional inn or tavern along former stagecoach routes gave way to boarding houses and hotels. In Madison, lodging sprang up along Jefferson Street to the square, providing rooms as well as sites for public . . . — Map (db m49634) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Madison
On South Main Street (U.S. 278) just east of East Washington Street, on the right when traveling east.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Madison Named in honor of U.S. President James Madison, the town of Madison was established as the permanent seat of Morgan County . . . — Map (db m16233) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Madison Historic Cemeteries
On Central Avenue 0.1 miles north of Academy Street, on the left when traveling north.
The municipal burial ground is a composite of four cemeteries reflecting the stages of community development. Early Madisonians first established a collective cemetery at the edge of town rather than sectarian burials in churchyards. The nineteenth . . . — Map (db m34982) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — L10 — Madison Station"As near a paradise as anything I ever saw" — March to the Sea Heritage Trail —
On West Jefferson Street west of Thomason Road when traveling west.
The original foundation and some of the brick walls of the Madison Depot burned by Federal troops on Saturday, November 19, 1864, are still evident in the existing structure. It was one of the first brick depots on the Georgia Rail Road from Augusta . . . — Map (db m103332) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Madison Train Station
On West Jefferson Street west of Thomason Road, on the right when traveling west.
Georgia Railroad chartered in 1833 reached Madison from Augusta in 1841. This, the first brick station in Georgia, was built by John B. Walker on land deeded by Adam B. Saffold. It was partially burned by federal troops Dec. 3, 1864. The first train . . . — Map (db m103174) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — 104-6 — Morgan County
On Hancock Street at East Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling east on Hancock Street.
Morgan County was created by Act of Dec. 10, 1807 from Baldwin County. It was named for Gen. Daniel Morgan (1736-1802), a native of N.J. “Exactly fitted for the toils and pomp of war,” he served with distinction on Benedict Arnold’s . . . — Map (db m34449) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — 104-1 — Oliver Hardy, Genius of Comedy
On Hancock Street at East Jefferson Street, in the median on Hancock Street.
Oliver Norvell Hardy, of the comedy team Laurel and Hardy, lived in the Turnell-Butler Hotel which once stood on this corner. He was born in Harlem, Georgia, on January 18, 1892. The family was in Madison by that February, and may have moved here . . . — Map (db m15372) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Pennington
On Williams Road 0.1 miles west of Monticello Road (Georgia Route 83), on the left when traveling west.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Pennington The Pennington Community was named for the Pennington family who first acquired land from ceded Native American . . . — Map (db m16246) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Progressive Experiment
On College Drive at College Avenue, on the left on College Drive.
The 1906 Perry Act established college-prep boarding schools for rural youth in each of Georgia’s12 congressional districts. Morgan, Putnam, and Wilkes counties submitted proposals for the 8th District Agricultural & Mechanical School campus, . . . — Map (db m109712) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Railroad Street Commerce
On West Jefferson Street at North 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north on West Jefferson Street.
Early town development focused upon the town square, but that changed when cotton and railroads grew in importance. In 1837, Georgia Rail Road construction was announced, and rail service arrived four years later in Madison -- the end point until . . . — Map (db m49670) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Reconstruction Property Rights
On Academy Street at Burnett Street, on the right when traveling west on Academy Street.
Georgia's General Assembly of 1865-1866 passed important property rights laws for its black population, most of whom had recently been emancipated. Blacks could legally buy, sell, inherit, and lease both land and personal property. The experience of . . . — Map (db m20833) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Segregated Burial Grounds
On Unnamed cemetery road 0 miles east of Central Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
Historic burial traditions parallel both the societal structure and economic status of the period. Old Cemetery reveals racially distinct sections reflected in the notable absence of family plots and headstones on the hill’s slope, where a memorial . . . — Map (db m125858) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — 104-12 — Seven Islands Road
On Eatonton Road (U.S. 441) at Seven Islands Road, on the right when traveling south on Eatonton Road.
The Seven Islands - Alabama Road - was an important emigrant route to the west. Travelers from northeast Georgia and the upper Carolinas followed this trace to the Mississippi Territory, Louisiana, and later Texas. Originally an important link . . . — Map (db m16223) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Springfield
On Bethany Church Road 0.1 miles north of Seven Islands Road, on the right when traveling north.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Springfield Identified with the Springfield Baptist Church and School that existed in the late nineteenth century. Springfield . . . — Map (db m17397) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — 104-8 — The March to the Sea
On South Main Street (U.S. 278) 0 miles east of Foster Street, on the right when traveling east.
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his army [US] into two wings. The Right Wing . . . — Map (db m16162) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — 104-2 — The Stoneman Raid
On South Main Street (U.S. 278) at Foster Street, on the right when traveling east on South Main Street.
Closing in on Atlanta in July 1864, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, found its vast fortifications “too strong to assault and too extensive to invest.” To force an evacuation, he sent Maj. Gen. George Stoneman’s cavalry [US] (2112 men and 2 . . . — Map (db m16165) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — The Town Commons
On Old Post Road 0 miles west of Hill Street, on the right when traveling west.
The Georgia Legislature initially designated 100 acres (Parts of Land Lots No.36, No.35, & No.23) for Madison’s establishment. The Justices of the Inferior Court subdivided the land to create a “publick” square as well as lots for sale . . . — Map (db m49234) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — The Town Park
On West Jefferson Street 0 miles north of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north.
Town Park reflects the foresight, leadership and hard work of so many -- a true public-private partnership. Revitalization plans and Bicentennial celebration efforts converged in 2000 upon the idea of reestablishing a downtown greenspace. By . . . — Map (db m49738) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — The Town Spring
Near Academy Street at Burnett Street.
Civil Engineer R.B. Tufts noted on the 1897 Morgan County map that "The Public Spring . . . which for all these years has been sending forth a bold, steady stream of pure, cold water, was the cause of establishing the Court House and the public . . . — Map (db m20844) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — The Town Square
On North Main Street (U.S. 278) at East Washington Street, on the right when traveling east on North Main Street.
Reserved for public use in the original 1809 town plan, the public square was also used to establish the early town limits, first drawn as a half-mile radius (1822) and then as a mile radius (1849). This method formed circular town boundaries; a . . . — Map (db m49691) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Vernacular Construction
On West Washington Street (Georgia Route 83) 0 miles north of 5th Street, on the left when traveling north.
Madison first expanded northwest between the Madison Female Academy and the town spring, one branch of Tanyard Branch-so named for the tanning of animal hides on this site. The branch descends from the Main Street ridgeline and is paralleled by W. . . . — Map (db m47982) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — 104-11 — William Tappan Thompson
On East Jefferson Street at Hancock Street, on the right when traveling north on East Jefferson Street.
William Tappan Thompson, famous Georgia journalist and author, was born in Ohio in 1812. Moving to Augusta in 1835, he became associated with Augustus Baldwin Longstreet in the publication of the State Rights Sentinel. In 1838 he founded a literary . . . — Map (db m16442) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Rutledge — Fairplay
On Fairplay Road at Prospect Road, on the left when traveling north on Fairplay Road.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Fairplay One of the older communities in Morgan County, Fairplay is identified on county maps as early as 1839. Fairplay did not have a . . . — Map (db m49808) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Rutledge — Hard Labor Creek State Park
On Hard Labor Creek State Park Road 0.2 miles east of Knox Chapel Road, on the right when traveling east.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate Hard Labor Creek State Park This park was built in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal program sponsored by President . . . — Map (db m17574) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Rutledge — Reese
On Reese Road at Durden Road, on the right when traveling south on Reese Road.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Reese Originally, the community of Reese was known as Ebenezer, and it has been identified as a community that grew up along an old post . . . — Map (db m19934) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Rutledge — Rutledge
On Fairplay Street 0 miles north of West Dixie Highway, on the left when traveling north.
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Rutledge In the 1840s, the heirs of Hezekiah Rutledge deeded right-of-way to the Georgia Railroad. The farm came to be referred . . . — Map (db m17303) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Rutledge — L9 — Rutledge StationA Tranquil Community Touched by War — March to the Sea Heritage Trail —
On Fairplay Street at West Main Street, on the right when traveling south on Fairplay Street.
In the early 1860s Rutledge was a community of about 200 citizens. It was named for a local family that had owned property through which the Georgia Railroad was built. Farms and plantations dotted the area around the railroad station and small . . . — Map (db m103336) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Rutledge — 104-10 — The March to the Sea
On Atlanta Highway (U.S. 278) at Newborn Road, on the right when traveling east on Atlanta Highway.
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah - the March to the Sea. He divided his army [US] into two wings. The Right Wing . . . — Map (db m16163) HM

63 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement