Built of locally made brick in 1804, this house, the finest in the Cherokee Nation, was the home a Town Chief, James Vann, son of a Scotch trader, Clement Vann, and his wife, a Cherokee chieftain's daughter. Around his home were several of his . . . — — Map (db m18595) HM
In May 1539 Hernando de Soto landed in Florida with over 600 people, 220 horses and mules, and a herd of swine reserved for famine. Fired by his success in Pizarro`s conquest of Peru, De Soto had been granted the rights, by the King of Spain, to . . . — — Map (db m27273) HM
The Old Federal Road, leading across the Indian Country from the Cherokee boundary, in the direction of Athens, branched at this point toward Knoxville and Nashville. The right turn led northward into Tennessee via Chatsworth and Tennga, while the . . . — — Map (db m33861) HM
One hundred yards east is the site of Fort Gilmer, built in 1838 to garrison U.S. troops ordered to enforce the removal from this region of the last Cherokee Indians under terms of the New Echota treaty of 1833.
One of seven such forts erected . . . — — Map (db m33860) HM
This ancient stone fortification,
885 feet in length, and the land on the crest
of this mountain, 2832 feet above sea level,
was given to the State of Georgia for the
establishment of Fort Mountain State Park
public spirited . . . — — Map (db m11572) HM
Legends of Fort Mountain:
The Moon-Eyed People
While some legends equate the moon-eyed people withe the descendants of Prince Madoc, Cherokee legends tell of the moon-eyed people that inhabited the Southern Highlands before they arrived. . . . — — Map (db m11590) HM
Murray County, Created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 from Cherokee, originally contained Whitfield, Walker, Catoosa, Dade and part of Chattooga Counties. Settled by people from Tenn., N.C., and Ga., it was named for Thomas Walton Murray (1790-1832). A . . . — — Map (db m12326) HM
The trail to the north of this site leads to the mysterious and prehistoric wall of loose rocks from which Fort Mountain takes its name. Many generations of explorers, archaeologists, geologists, historians and sight-seers have wondered about the . . . — — Map (db m46359) HM
The earliest vehicular and postal route from northwest Georgia was the Federal Road, which led from the southeast Cherokee boundary, in the direction of Athens, Georgia to Tennessee; a Y-shaped thoroughfare, it forked at Ramhurst toward Knoxville . . . — — Map (db m18603) HM
The route veering southeastward is a remnant of the Old Federal Road, northwest Georgia’s earliest vehicular way and the first thoroughfare linking Tennessee and Georgia across the Cherokee Nation. Permission to open the highway was granted by the . . . — — Map (db m33869) HM
May 16, 1864. Brig. Gen. J.D. Cox’s Div., 23d A.C., [US] having crossed the Conasauga River at Hogan’s Ford, 2 mi. S. of Tilton, camped at or near Holly Creek P.O., in this vicinity. May 17. Learning that 20th Corps troops [US] had usurped the . . . — — Map (db m19147) HM
This highway follows closely the course of the Old Federal Road, the first vehicular and postal route to link Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation. Informal permission to use the thoroughfare was granted by the Indians in 1803 and . . . — — Map (db m33867) HM
Author of "Home,Sweet Home," suspected as a spy of the Cherokee Indians was imprisoned here in 1835, but released.
Erected by Old Guard of Atlanta Oct. 6, 1922;
Jos. A. McCord; Commandant — — Map (db m18592) HM
Southward from this spot stood this famous mission, founded in 1801 by Moravian Brethren from Salem, N.C.
The first school among the Cherokees, this mission continued until 1833, and added much to their remarkable advancement.
Here were . . . — — Map (db m12328) HM
For the next 25 miles southward this highway coincides closely with the course of the Old Federal Road, the first vehicular and postal way to join Tennessee and Georgia across the Cherokee Nation. Beginning on the southeast Indian boundary in the . . . — — Map (db m33866) HM