One-half mile E. the old road from Burnt Hickory to Dallas joined one leading E., via Pumpkin Vine Bridge, near Owen's Mill, to New Hope Church. May 25,
1864: Geary's (2d), followed by William's (1st) div., 20th A.C. [US], turned E. when assailed . . . — — Map (db m20248) HM
A. Lafayette Bartlett
Citizen, Lawyer, Statesman,
Born on a Paulding County
farm, Feb. 15, 1851
Died in Dallas Georgia,
May 17, 1926
His life was largely given to the service of his people of his home . . . — — Map (db m118325) HM
By Saturday, May 28, 1864, fierce Confederate resistance at New Hope Church (on May 25th) and Pickett's Mill (May 27th) had convinced Union Major General William T. Sherman to move his armies eastward back to the Western and Atlantic Railroad to . . . — — Map (db m118180) HM
May 25, 1864. McPherson’s Army of the Tenn., [US] marching from Wooley’s Bridge (Etowah River), via Van Wert, reached Pumpkin Vine Cr., Logan’s 15th A.C. [US] camped near Pumpkin Vine Church, 2 mi. S.
May 26, Dodge’s 16th A.C. [US] reached . . . — — Map (db m35776) HM
May 24, 1864. McPherson’s 15th & 16th A.C. [US] left Euharlee Creek (at Aragon, Polk County) & passed through Van Wert, his route being present State Highways 101 & 6 Turning E. (toward Yorkville, Paulding Co.), camp was made at Raccoon Creek near . . . — — Map (db m35773) HM
Here, at New Hope Church, Confederate and Federal armies engaged in a desperate battle as the former blocked the way to Atlanta, key industrial center of the Confederacy. Sherman again outflanked the Confederates and the two armies moved to renew . . . — — Map (db m20873) HM
Lt. Gen. J. B. Hood’s A.C. [CS], having marched from the Etowah River, reached New Hope Ch., May 25, 1864, in time to halt Gen. J. W. Geary’s (2d) div., 20th A.C. [US], which had detoured near Owens’ Mill enroute to Dallas by New Hope. Checked by . . . — — Map (db m20840) HM
In memory of the
of the Army of
Tennessee who fought
and died here
Army of Tennessee
Hood's Army Corps
Maj Gen Alexander . . . — — Map (db m118318) HM WM
After the successful defense at New Hope Church by Hood’s Corps [CS], May 25, 1864, Johnston [CS] extended his right NE to keep pace with the Federal leftward shift to outflank him. Elements of the 4th, 14th and 23rd Corps under Maj. Gen. Oliver . . . — — Map (db m20838) HM
After the successful defense at New Hope Church by Hood’s Corps [CS], May 25, 1864, Johnston [CS] extended his right NE to keep pace with the Federal leftward shift to outflank him.
Elements of the 4th, 14th and 23rd Corps under Maj. Gen. . . . — — Map (db m87388) HM
One-half mi. S.W., on Pumpkin Vine Cr., was the site of Brown’s saw-mill, a landmark during military operations May 25 – June 5, 1964. The 23rd Corps, moving from Sligh’s Mill, Burnt Hickory P.O., and Owens’ Mill, occupied lines on this . . . — — Map (db m20817) HM
Here, the intrenched line held by Gen. J. E. Johnston’s forces [CS] during the fighting on the Dallas - New Hope Ch. front, crossed the road; line erected and occupied May 26 and abandoned June 4, 1864. Three of the 10 miles of this line were on . . . — — Map (db m20960) HM
One tenth mi. W. at the intersection of the old Dallas-Acworth & Burnt Hickory rds. -- a key point of Federal military operations at New Hope Church and Dallas. May 25 - June 5, 1864. Hardee’s & Hood’s A.C. [CS] moved this way, S. - from the . . . — — Map (db m20831) HM
Dallas became the seat of government for Paulding County, Georgia in 1852. By 1861, the town's population was approximately 200 citizens. The Civil War era courthouse was located across Main Street east of the building that succeeded it in 1892. The . . . — — Map (db m118186) HM
Four to six mi. N.E., on State Highway 92 at & near New Hope church, are the battlefield’s of New Hope Church & Pickett’s Mill - two of the notable engagements of the Atlanta Campaign, May 25 & 27, 1864.
From a point 2 mi. S. of Dallas, the . . . — — Map (db m20456) HM
May 26, 1864. Brig. Gen. J.C. Davis’ (2d) div. 14th A. C. [US], reached Dallas on this rd. from Bishop’s Bridge (Pumpkin Vine Cr.).
These troops left Resaca, Gordon County, May 16, & marched to Rome via a route W. of the Oostanaula River. . . . — — Map (db m20451) HM
Here, the intrenched line held by Maj. Gen. J. B. McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. [US] crossed the road; erected & occupied May 26 & abandoned June 1, 1864. These troops were the right of Federal forces on the Dallas - New Hope Ch. front which had . . . — — Map (db m20977) HM
May 23: Gen. Wm. J. Hardee’s [CS] headquarters during the march of his Corps from Stegall’s Station (Emerson) to points south.
May 24: Gen. John B. Hood [CS] spent night here enroute with his corps from Etowah River to New Hope Church.
Oct. 5: . . . — — Map (db m30256) HM
During the fighting at Dallas, New Hope Church, Pickett’s Mill & elsewhere along the opposing Confederate & Federal lines, General J. E. Johnston [CS] had h'dq'rs at the Wm. Wigley house (which stood near here) May 25 - June 1, 1864.
Posey . . . — — Map (db m20758) HM
Hardee’s A.C. was on the left of General J.E. Johnston’s line [CS] – Dallas - New Hope front. May 26 - June 4, 1864. Dallas was the southern-most objective of Federal forces in their flanking march around Allatoona.
During the Federal . . . — — Map (db m20939) HM
Federal Army strives to break through Confederate position and command roads leading to Atlanta.
Federals execute flank movement around Confederate Army when attack fails, reaching Western & Atlantic Railroad their line of supply and move . . . — — Map (db m87389) HM
May 24, 1864: The 4th, 20th & a div. of the 14th A.C. - Army of the Cumberland [US], enroute from Stilesboro, camped in this vicinity, & on the 25th, marched to New Hope Church.
The 23rd Corps [US], at Sligh's Mill, 3 mi. N.E., night of the . . . — — Map (db m20428) HM
Created December 3, 1832, and named for John Paulding, one of the captors of Major Andre, accomplice of Benedict Arnold. Van Wert, the first county seat, was named for another of the captors. When Polk County was created in 1851, Dallas became the . . . — — Map (db m21034) HM
Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk’s corps which had moved from Allatoona as left flank of Johnston’s army [CS] -- via Lost Mtn. & Mt. Tabor Ch. -- reached this vicinity May 24, 1864. After return of Hardee’s A.C. [CS] from Powder Springs (May 25), Polk’s . . . — — Map (db m20943) HM
June 4, 1864. The embattled forces of Gen. J. E. Johnston’s army, [CS] having confronted Sherman’s army [US] on the Dallas-New Hope Church front, since May 25, abandoned the position & shifted eastward because of Sherman’s movement back to the State . . . — — Map (db m20772) HM
May 26, Maj. Gen. John A. Logan’s 15th A.C. [US] was posted on the hills N. & W. of this, the salient angle of the intrenched line. The Federals fought defensively during the 6 days of fighting, climaxed by a concerted assault on the salient by . . . — — Map (db m20952) HM
May 24, 25, 1964. Lt. Gen. Wm. J. Hardee [CS] maintained h’dq’rs here during operations of his command in this sector, incident to finding the position of McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. (rt. wing. Sherman’s forces [US]).
On the 24th, uncertain . . . — — Map (db m35739) HM
Noted crossroads settlement of the 1860’s.
Schofield's 23rd corps [US], marching from Milam's Bridge (Etowah River) camped here May 24-25, 1864.
This corps was the rear & left guard of Sherman’s flanking march to by-pass the Allatoona . . . — — Map (db m50751) HM
May 25, 1864. Brig. Gen. J.W. Geary’s (2d) div. 20th A.C. [US], deployed in dense woods, N.W., advanced toward this ridge at New Hope Ch. -- (5 p.m.) - supported on his right by Williams’ (1st) & on his left by Butterfield's (3d) divs. - the corps . . . — — Map (db m20800) HM
Lt. Gen. Hardee’s A.C. [CS], having marched from Stegall’s Station (Emerson) near the Etowah River & camped at the Dr. Smith house, May 23rd, passed New Hope Church on the 24th, enroute to the Dallas front.
This moving left flank of Gen. J. E. . . . — — Map (db m20771) HM
On Saturday, May 28, 1864, the Confederate Kentucky "Orphan Brigade"—so named for they could not return home because of Federal control of their state—made a brutal attack against entrenched Federal lines. The attack was made from along . . . — — Map (db m118182) HM
May 28, 1864. On ridge W., were the intrenched lines of the 1st div., 15th A.C. & the 2d div., 16th A.C. [US]; beyond ravine E., the lines of Bates div. of Hardee’s corps [CS].
Late afternoon, Lewis’ Ky. (Orphan) & Finley’s Florida brigades, . . . — — Map (db m20492) HM
May 25, 1864. Maj. Gen P. R. Cleburne’s div. marched with Hardee’s A.C. [CS] from New Hope Church May 24th, to Power Springs.
These troops, the left flank of Johnson’s Army, marched S.E. to find the position of the Federals known to be near . . . — — Map (db m49846) HM
May 24, 25, 1864. Hardee’s corps, of Gen. J. E. Johnston’s army [CS], having marched on the 23rd from Stegall's Station (Emerson), passed this way to Powder Springs, where it camped until 3 a.m. of the 25th, when it counter-marched toward Dallas . . . — — Map (db m20815) HM
Oct. 3-6, 1864. Lt. Gen. John B. Hood [CS] had h'dq'rs at the Colley house which stood 500 ft. N. of this marker. Hood, enroute with his army to Tennessee, after the fall of Atlanta, marked time in this vicinity while Stewart’s A. C. wrecked the . . . — — Map (db m20788) HM
In 1912 Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears, Roebuck and Company, established the Rosenwald Fund to assist in community school construction of public schools for
African-American students in the South. The Julius Rosenwald Fund assisted local . . . — — Map (db m13466) HM
On April 4, 1977 a DC-9 Southern Airways Flight 242 flying from Huntsville, AL to Atlanta encountered a dangerous thunderstorm over Rome, GA. The hail and rain the aircraft endured was so severe that both engines flamed out and . . . — — Map (db m62977) HM